Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: The Rat King

Nick and Hank are called to the scene when three Wesen go out on a hunt at a local dump and get more than they bargained for when two turn up dead after they encounter the mythical Rat King. Meanwhile, a very badly wounded Trubel is taken to the hospital and Nick finally meets Meisner.

The last five minutes with Nick & Meisner kicking ass were AWESOME!!! And the chemistry with Adalind & Meisner is still off the charts. If we get to see more ass kicking & Adalind/Meisner cozying up as opposed to Nick/Adalind this season may turn out okay *1 thumb up* (only one because of the lame Rat King ). Well, maybe 2 thumbs for showing a Grimm's eyes from a Wesen's point of view.

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Love 10

This is the first episode of Grimm that I've watched this season (other than 10 minutes of the premiere).

I actually liked the episode, the Rat King CGI was pretty good. The WotW case was a bit week but it seemed to be the B plot anyway.

I like Truble so I was mostly interested in her story. I enjoyed watching Nick play with the bike. His reaction to the buttons was pretty funny. It was good seeing Meisner again, I was hoping Meisner would mention Dianna to Adiland.

• Love 4

The last five minutes with Nick & Meisner kicking ass were AWESOME!!! And the chemistry with Adalind & Meisner is still off the charts. If we get to see more ass kicking & Adalind/Meisner cozying up as opposed to Nick/Adalind this season may turn out okay *1 thumb up* (only one because of the lame Rat King ).

Agreed that the "Nick & Meisner vs the Wesen Konspiracy" fight scene and the Meisner/Adalind love connection possibilities redeemed an episode that otherwise was pretty much filled with a whole lot of stupid behavior.  Maybe there is hope for this show after all.

I thought the Rat King premise was kind of interesting but the actual execution of the concept was a little clumsy.

Glad that Nick and Meisner were able to rescue T.Rubel/"Lauren Cole".

By the way, were all those junkyard rat people electrocuted electrocuted or just badly shocked?  I couldn't tell.  A bunch of people found electrocuted in a dump would be kind of hard to explain, wouldn't it?

Edited by officetemp
  • Love 6

Yeah, Adalind was alllll about Meisner and showed some impressive loyalty towards him and vouched for him with Nick. She had the big moony eyes with him and totally wanted to go for a hug. Unfortunately he was all about the business but there was a small beat where he seemed like he was affected by seeing her as well. Wish he had given her a smile like he did Diana.

Meisnick battle team up was amazing. Meisner is just a badass. So glad they got the actor back finally for a nice arc.

Between this ep and the last, seems like Nick and Hank are like whatever about murders in town. Those 3 dudes did kill the Rat Prince afterall but they kinda were like whatever about it. Then again the murderers were dead....call it a wash?

But really Nick, you didn't see the shock ripping VoltronRat apart? Because I kinda did. Maybe he never watched Voltron growing up.

So we had the pigs take out wolves and rats take out cats. What's the next animal rivalry to be done? Chickens and foxes?

• Love 7

When that nurse was slapping Theresa, I was all "No, just no."   The violence is getting to me.   Yeah, its a cop show.   But I don't need slap around just to find out if they are a Grimm. 

Please Adalind, run off with Meisner and take baby Kelly with you.

Meanwhile, Nick and Theresa can clean up Portland.

That mayor candidate is up to something.   I just know he is.   

• Love 6

I liked the final fight with Nick finally meeting Meisner, but some of the setup involved too many people being dumb.  Adalind knows Nick doesn't know Meisner, why wouldn't she just call Nick and say my friend says Truble is in trouble, you should go to the hospital ASAP instead of having Meisner call and having to hand the phone off.  Why wouldn't Nick tell Monroe and Rosalee sooner that Truble was back?  It was fun seeing Rosalee be all "let's go fight the giant rat king" but I think it would have been more fitting with her character as previously established to go to the hospital and keep an eye on Truble as soon as she found out.  Nick knows Truble showed up surviving some sort of attack, he has to think she might still be in danger and he can't sit at the hospital because of his job, why not call his friends and ask them to stay nearby, except for dragging the plot out a bit longer because Rosalee and/or Monroe would have known some of the hospital staff was Wesen and probably stopped them a lot sooner.  Hopefully next week we'll finally get some answers as to what is going on with that plotline.

That said, I thought the giant rat king was pretty well done, even if that plot was also a bit weak.  This is one case where I would love to see the police follow up - how do you explain to a DA that we need to charge this whole group of people with killing 3 kids and abducting the other girl and explain how they all ended up electrocuted?

• Love 6

When the giant rat was getting electrocuted with King Kong dance moves, I burst out laughing. Thank you, Show, I needed that. I think I was already primed from when Nick announced he needed to go fight the giant rat and Rosalee said, "We're coming with you!" to which Monroe replied, "We are? Oh. We are!" and then, I swear he was running in place like an old Vaudevillian comedian.

2 thumbs for showing a Grimm's eyes from a Wesen's point of view.

I loved it and imagined the writers and special effects teams sitting around saying: Hey. It's been a while since we've given screen time to shapeshifter's vision of what Wessen see in a Grimm's eyes. Yes, I have delusions of grandeur.

I'd much rather Nick and Meisner get together, and this is my first ever slash fantasy.
  • Love 3

Teresa: Yay! She's back and has some bad-ass toys.  I want to know more, so everyone shut up about the 'get some rest now' stuff. It's stuff you need to know or Teresa wouldn't have tried so hard to find you in order to tell you!  I also want Rosalee to check out  "Anna" 's passport, the Canadian one. ( Lauren, Anna and Gianna were the aliases, right?)

Wu: He is ride or die, but smart about it. Love him Reggie Lee!

Monroe & Rosalee: There was so much story, that it was almost an obligatory "explain the arcane wesen ways to us" kind of scene at the shop and then Rosalee finding the entry to the mound and not running that lady to Nick or her own car in order to keep her alive! Yeah, a humongous rat- a fabled one at that- hovers into sight and you gape for a minute. I get that; who wouldn't? But to continue to stand there when the rat and the Grimm are threatening each other and the woman?  Rosalee and Monroe have faced worse.  I still love them, though.

Adalind: Yes, she showed loyalty to Meisner, but then again, like the flashback told us, he helped save her and infant Diana a few times. I enjoyed what fight there was, but it should have been held off til next episode or been given more time in this one.  I liked that Adalind explained what she thought was happening to Nick with minimal prompting. I also caught her "this is getting complicated."  I will wait for our hexen to find the nearest exit. It may be selfish, but the woman has two children and wants to raise them. (At least right now.) This is also the best time for her to take that job offer and get her own fortress.

Renard: Man, your pal the mayoral candidate is a pushy ass. While he did appeal to your more grandiose side ( I remember your coin visions, Sean), I didn't think Renard liked people pressuring him into decisions. I think the glib manager might be zeigenvolk, or whatever that pheromone goat/centaur-esque wesen was. The kingmaker putting the pawns he wants in place. Maybe one or both are working for the Uprising? (All guesswork as I am remaining spoiler-free, even with the ick the show's been trying to get me to enjoy.)

Hank: I love a man that can use a shotgun smartly and in leather. ( See: Chin Ho on CBS' Five-0. *sigh*)

Nick: Dude? Playing around with  a weapon in your house? Are you five?!   You take that to another abandoned  shop in the immediate "neighborhood" to do that shit! Yes, his reaction was funny, but it was because Nick was made dumb. Nick never did "experiments" in his house or at Monroe's house. He only did so at Rosalee's with her permission and it was largely chemical and potion things that were tried. Not something he clearly expected to be weaponized.

Also disappointed in how much time Nick gave the hospital. We have seen Nick fearful that Teresa has also been killed and wracked with guilt over her abduction. Out of the blue, she has found his new, super secret fortress and she's extremely hurt. Then, when by all rights, Teresa should be up and moving around, Nick allows himself to be rebuffed without getting Rosalee to check-in on her. Or even the friendly M.E. (Miss you!)

Other than that, I had no real problems with Nick. That he felt he needed to talk to a 20' tall rat instead of saving an actual kidnap victim wasn't great, but there were other folks around who could have hustled her out. That would also mean that the seeming electrocution of an indigent/ homeless population would not be necessary. Okay, I'm not sure if the Rat King would have followed the car into town, but Krista(?) wasn't going to woge anymore, so her trail would get cold, right?

Next week looks interesting.

I am very suspicious of Mayoral candidates ever since Gotham. Though it is a well know trope that all politicians are slimy and not to be trusted..at least on TV. 

When that woman bent over Trubel in the hospital, at first I thought she was Rosalee. And then she slapped her and I suddenly realized that it was Nurse Rachid, instead. I could tell that the Doctor was up to no good as soon as I saw him, too. He didn't even have to turn into a roly poly little bat faced boy. (sorry..obscure song reference..he wasn't roly poly)

Giant rat was just silly. It conjured up an image of a bunch of Little rascals standing on each others shoulders under a big coat to try and pass as an adult. 

So foxes and wolves can live together, but cats and rats, not so much.

Of course if Adalind and Meisner do get together, you know what that leaves Nick free for, don't you?...the return of Juliet! Nooo! (no spoilers, trust me..just fear)

• Love 1

I liked this episode a lot and I think it is because we didn't get a scene where Nick and Adalind weren't trying to play house with each other. 

Ugh...you guys are making me want to break my no-Grimm rule.  Sigh!  I'll probably cave and watch this (although I may wait until after next week's ep).  So much for my high moral standards....  

Though it is a well know trope that all politicians are slimy and not to be trusted..at least on TV. 

Off topic from the show, but this is actually true of Portland.  We're still trying to live down the mess that was Sam Adams... (who did appear in Grimm...and I think might now be a regular on Portlandia...)

ETA: I used "actually" 3 times in 2 sentences and I couldn't live with myself if I let that stand in this post.

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 2

I'd like to see some reporter/journalist investigate why Portland is a hotbed of people dying and a lot of murders. Surely Renard can't keep a lid on all the people/Wesen being killed.

The Mayor's commercial seemed to run a little too long. Hark, is that the sound of skeletons rattling in his closet?

Was surprised that Nick did not put a police guard by Trubel's room. Or  Bud, or some other trusted Wesen. Hospital food isn't good so a few pies from Mrs. Bud would be great.

Ratzilla was a bit silly. But in a garbage dump, home is where the junk and food is. Seems like a logical creation.

Did like Nick and Meisner.

I liked seeing Trubel's Canadian money.

Hoping that Meisner's return begins a new chapter in Adalind's life.

• Love 2

I liked seeing Trubel's Canadian money.

Yeah, it was fun seeing other currency.  Nick was all, " She had a lot of cash on her" and I was all "Foreign currency!"

I want to learn about what Teresa's been going through, so I can wait and see what next week brings, but I'm tired of waiting. ( It's only Episode 6, but we have been getting the replay of her getting nabbed and her bruised face for a while. It's tiresome if they keep showing that stuff but not answering.)

The fight happened and was over relatively quickly, but we had a bat wesen for sure. What were the other two? The nurse seemed like she was a hexenbiest or possibly a troll?  The other male seemed furry, but I couldn't get a long enough look.

Off topic from the show, but this is actually true of Portland.  We're still trying to live down the mess that was Sam Adams... (who did appear in Grimm...and I think might now be a regular on Portlandia...)

ETA: I used "actually" 3 times in 2 sentences and I couldn't live with myself if I let that stand in this post.

IMO, Chicago's city politics are pretty dirty and let's not forget about the former Toronto mayor, Rob Ford

• Love 5

I think the electricity was supposed to act more like a taser than a killjob. So it broke the bonds that formed the many into the 1, and knocked them out of commission for a moment because they were stunned. But it wasn't a case of a pile of corpses to report found at the scene.

In the beginning of the episode, when "Robbie" was one of the guys going out "to play," I thought it was Robbie, the ratcatcher form Danse Macabre, and was sad to discover it wasn't.

Adalind just wants whatever man is handy, to protect her. I guess that means the show is not fully committed to hooking her up with Nick as a permanent direction for the show.

Nick thinking The Warehouse District was a good place to go for safety is a bit ridiculous, and I was glad to see his delusions of having escaped notice were shortlived.

I wasn't 100% sure the doc was in cahoots with the nurse until he said "the scan showed swelling on the brain. We have to operate ." Operate for what??? When my son had swelling, the treatment was oxygen. It helps to reduce the swelling so that the damage/injury can be seen underneath. My 14 year old even said "he's trying to trick Truble isn't he?"

My son and I also looked at each other with our mouths agape when it was FINALLY shown , after 4+ years! what a Wesen sees in a Grimm's eyes.

I am also one who remembers Sean's dream when he had the coins. "I want you to be Chief" (or words to that effect) and his eyes lit up.

Maybe we will finally get a mention of Diana next week, provides Meisner hooks back up with Nick.

And it will be the fall season ending? Already?

• Love 2

I wasn't 100% sure the doc was in cahoots with the nurse until he said "the scan showed swelling on the brain. We have to operate ." Operate for what??? When my son had swelling, the treatment was oxygen. It helps to reduce the swelling so that the damage/injury can be seen underneath. My 14 year old even said "he's trying to trick Truble isn't he?"

My son and I also looked at each other with our mouths agape when it was FINALLY shown , after 4+ years! what a Wesen sees in a Grimm's eyes.

I am also one who remembers Sean's dream when he had the coins. "I want you to be Chief" (or words to that effect) and his eyes lit up.

Maybe we will finally get a mention of Diana next week, provides Meisner hooks back up with Nick.

And it will be the fall season ending? Already?

As for the fall season...most shows have already finished their fall seasons or will be by the time Grimm does.  Frankly, I'm not a big fan of this "fall" and "spring" season, but whatevs...

Moving more of this over to the spoilers thread....

• Love 1

When the giant rat was getting electrocuted with King Kong dance moves, I burst out laughing. 

King Kong is exactly what I thought too, unfortunately, that made it a lot harder to take seriously. It also bothered me that they tried to kill it as soon as it stood up, at that point they didn't know it did anything wrong, standing up when you're huge shouldn't be a crime.

I want to learn about what Teresa's been going through, so I can wait and see what next week brings, but I'm tired of waiting. ( It's only Episode 6, but we have been getting the replay of her getting nabbed and her bruised face for a while. It's tiresome if they keep showing that stuff but not answering.)

Yeah, I'm tired of them dragging this out, just tell us what's going on already.

• Love 2

Yeah, it was fun seeing other currency. Nick was all, " She had a lot of cash on her" and I was all "Foreign currency!"

It would have been kind of fun if Monroe had made a remark about how, given the current exchange rate, it's no surprise she wasn't spending the Canadian money in the States.

Jacqueline Toboni (Trubel) must be about the same height and weight as DG, right? Maybe she's taller? I wasn't sure whether to laugh or be worried as he struggled to carry her in his arms. Hopefully no back injuries were sustained.

Edited by shapeshifter

What is going with this mayor thing?  There has to be a reason for this screen time, plus isolating Renard from the rest.  Maybe the candidate is going to end up being involved in this entire conspiracy, and that is how Renard will rejoin the rest?

Did think it was kind of dumb that Nick would just leave Trubel by herself at the hospital, and not leave someone he trusts to guard her (like, as others have said, Bud.) But whatever: after a brief scare, Meisner shows up like a badass and he and Nick kick some evil Wesen ass!  Added bonus is that Adalind is so into him still, so maybe this stupid thing with her and Nick might slowly go away.  Or it could end up being a damn love triangle.  Nope, trying to remain positive for now!

Rat King/Ratzilla was so cheesy, but at least is was kind of fun.  Plus, the episode gets points for continuity over Hank mentioning that he hates rats in general and looking way more freaked out like the rest (I mean, Monroe looked more amazed then actually scared at times.)  Because I still remember that Pied Piper episode from way back in season one, where Hank (still in the unknown), was totally freaking out over the rats.  Good job, Grimm!

I know Carlson Young (Selina), is probably currently known best as Brooke from that Scream series, but for me, I'll always remember her from that classic Key & Peele skit, Substitute Teacher.  She was Jacqueline or "Jay-Quel-in" according to Mr. Garvey!

• Love 1

This episode felt like early season Grimm which I liked. Loved the homage to Batman with a cat woman named Selina Kyle. Bonus points for no awkward Nick and Adalind scenes. I think Nick didn't call anyone to watch over Trouble he thought nothing would happer to her in the middle of the night.

• Love 1

Ratzilla was pretty silly.

Remember in the first season second episode, with the bear Wesen family when the mom randomly turned into a bear and rushed to attack Nick? The writers probably realized it was silly as hell and never bothered to do it again... until tonight. That was stupid then and the giant rat in tonight's episode was stupid in this. Wesens turning into animals is just too goofy.

I don't know what to say about the Meisner and Trubel stuff, which is obviously leading into next week. I'll depend on how good the next episode is, and whether we will finally get any answers. So far it feels like absolute NOTHING has happened this season, outside of that terrible Nick and Adalind playing house plot.

• Love 1

So Meisner is a Grimm?  Kind of seems like it.

Leaving Trubel alone at the hospital was another stupid Nick move, as has been mentioned.  What happened to Aunt Marie, another weakened Grimm, in the hospital?  Is Nick suffering from amnesia?

The gang was slow on the uptake with the giant rat forming, they were all 'what's happening', when they had just finished reading how it happens in Monroe's book.  Which had some pretty current language for being an older book.  And only Hank, Nick, and Wu on the scene of the dead guys in the pickup truck in the cornfield?  Budget too stretched for some other cops like are usually on-scene?

Too much time spent on Nick staring at a motorcycle.  I swear, my son had a toy Batman motorcycle like that once. 

Apparently I have a lot of nitpicks with this one.  I did appreciate minimal Adalind/Nick.  But the rest didn't tickle my fancy and it seems like there's wheel-spinning going on, very slow pace. 

What did the Nurse say to Meisner in the elevator?

I thought it was that slogan the uprising wesen have been saying about not staying hidden anymore. 

• Love 2

The funniest part of last nights show was the scene with Meisner and the nurse. When she stared saying "okum Tatum...etc" and he said something to the effect of "I'm so sick of hearing that.." Cue door close and *boom* *pow*. I kept thinking, me too Meisner, me too.

Adalind was giving Meisner the googly eyes.

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 4

I kept waiting for Nick to find the GPS on Trubel's supercycle, but alas, his game was off.  Meisner and Nick almost looked like twins in the fight scenes.

He didn't find the GPS (and according to Breaking Bad, they are placed under the wheel), but he did find the button for the arrows. 

• Love 1

"but this is actually true of Portland.  We're still trying to live down the mess that was Sam Adams".

Adams was vaguely okay - just had the scandal of the affair with the 18 year old. The Oregon governor had some weird issues that made him resign: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-13/oregon-s-kitzhaber-quits-in-scandal-over-fiancee-s-dealings

"This episode made me miss Roddy Piper from Danse Macabre."

You know, I totally think I saw the actor who played Roddy at a holiday crafts fair run by arty types. I don't know if he had a table or was just standing with a friend.

Anyway, thumbs up on this episode for a few things - I like storylines that expand on the cultural dynamics between different types of wesen that we've already heard about (such as Eisbiber vs trolls who work at the city permits department). When they have a new wesen each week who they just throw in jail, you don't really understand what they are about.

They are stretching out an unexplained cliffhanger or mystery of why Meisner had Trubel in the cell. In the short preview for next week, Meisner and Trubel appear to be explaining what the Uprising is about so they are getting along, so why was she kept in the small room before. Was that the FBI agent's thing? The Resistance/Meisner seemed to be helping fight certain royals who wanted to regain world power before so it makes you think they're antifascist. The uprising initially sounds like a liberation army, but maybe they are a misguided wesen liberation army with a cultish leader who will cause harm. Probably the best story they could come up with is that wesen who are tired of staying in the closet make the mistake of following a fascist style leader. I wonder what position Renard takes?

If you think about it, it seems like Meisner is sort of running things rather than taking directions from the grimm, but also must be collaborating with a network of his own. Also, what sort of wesen is he, and if he's human, what is his motivation as a kehrseite.

Edited by ottilie
  • Love 1

As I was watching last week's show, I pictured OtterMommy just stomping around screaming and mumbling. This week is OtterMommy approved! You can watch! It's safe! And Meisner being sexy!

YAY! YAY!  I haven't watched it yet because...well, my day has been monopolized by birthday parties for little girls...but I will definitely be watching this one.

I'm glad they finally put together a decent episode.  I just hope it isn't too late....

"but this is actually true of Portland.  We're still trying to live down the mess that was Sam Adams".

Adams was vaguely okay - just had the scandal of the affair with the 18 year old. The Oregon governor had some weird issues that made him resign: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-02-13/oregon-s-kitzhaber-quits-in-scandal-over-fiancee-s-dealings

"This episode made me miss Roddy Piper from Danse Macabre."

You know, I totally think I saw the actor who played Roddy at a holiday crafts fair run by arty types. I don't know if he had a table or was just standing with a friend.

Anyway, thumbs up on this episode for a few things - I like storylines that expand on the cultural dynamics between different types of wesen that we've already heard about (such as Eisbiber vs trolls who work at the city permits department). When they have a new wesen each week who they just throw in jail, you don't really understand what they are about.

They are stretching out an unexplained cliffhanger or mystery of why Meisner had Trubel in the cell. In the short preview for next week, Meisner and Trubel appear to be explaining what the Uprising is about so they are getting along, so why was she kept in the small room before. Was that the FBI agent's thing? The Resistance/Meisner seemed to be helping fight certain royals who wanted to regain world power before so it makes you think they're antifascist. The uprising initially sounds like a liberation army, but maybe they are a misguided wesen liberation army with a cultish leader who will cause harm. Probably the best story they could come up with is that wesen who are tired of staying in the closet make the mistake of following a fascist style leader. I wonder what position Renard takes?

If you think about it, it seems like Meisner is sort of running things rather than taking directions from the grimm, but also must be collaborating with a network of his own. Also, what sort of wesen is he, and if he's human, what is his motivation as a kehrseite.

Replying to this in both the Spice Shop and the Everything Wrong with Grimm threads....

• Love 1

I thought Ratzilla was pretty underwhelming.  He just stood there after Hank shot him and they all ran off.  Then when they lured him under the wires he just sort of stood there until they zapped him.  He never even came close to getting a swipe at one of them.

• Love 3

. . .

That mayor candidate is up to something.   I just know he is.   

Adalind and Meisner can pick up Diana on the way, too.

Maybe the mayoral candidate is another previously unknown royal.

Just how much time is supposed to have elapsed between Teresa's release from the cell and the present narrative?  There were an awful lot of stamps on Lauren Cole's, et al's passport(s).  How many months has she been traveling the world as a part of Meisner's kick-ass team?  And, as for Meisner, is he strictly a loyal member of the anti-royal faction or perhaps a freelancing mercenary for hire instead?  He seems to be involved in a lot of different operations whose different interests may not necessarily be in line with each other.

Edited by officetemp
  • Love 1

And, as for Meisner, is he strictly a loyal member of the anti-royal faction or perhaps a freelancing mercenary for hire instead?  He seems to be involved in a lot of different operations whose different interests may not necessarily be in line with each other.

From the way he was introduced WAAAAAY back in season 2, he is the leader of a group that is part of the resistance.  The Resistance, from what I understand, is pretty much like every other resistance movement--a bunch of people and groups who have nothing in common with each other except a shared hatred for someone or something.

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 1

Well, judging by the continuing downward spiral of the ratings, the Nick and Adalind hour has not been the boon the showrunners thought it would be.

The show so needs to reveal that the baby isn't Nick's and Adalind can just disappear in to the night.

• Love 2

Well, judging by the continuing downward spiral of the ratings, the Nick and Adalind hour has not been the boon the showrunners thought it would be.

The show so needs to reveal that the baby isn't Nick's and Adalind can just disappear in to the night.

I hope it goes this way, but I'm afraid they are going to go down the route of the baby not being Adalind's.  This has been widely speculated and I was even on board with it for a while, but now I think it would just be lazy storytelling.

The reason why I think it will go this way is because it will be the easiest way (and this team ALWAYS takes the easiest way) to disengage Nick and Adalind.  Adalind, being Adalind, would lose interest in the child as soon as she realized that not only was he not hers, he is Juliette's and she can go off with Meisner guilt-free.  The problem with making the baby not Nick's is that Nick is *supposedly* the kind of guy who is already attached to the child and would still feel responsible to him, thus keeping him tied to Adalind.

I'm not sure what choice C is, and I know this creative team won't be able to come up with it, so there you go.

Onto other things, I did indeed fall off the no-Grimm wagon and I watched the episode.  I do think that this was probably the best ep of the season, but it doesn't hold a candle to seasons 1 or 2 or even season 3.  Maybe i is because I haven't seen any new episodes for a few weeks, but it didn't even really feel like Grimm, you know.  The best way I can describe it is that it is trying to take itself too seriously.  One part of the appeal of Grimm for me has always been it's aura of campiness and that seems to be gone now.

Other random thoughts:

1 - So, I'm not sure if I am just so much more intelligent that a big chunk of fans or if I'm just overly cynical about Adalind, but this episode sort of cemented my feeling that she's up to no good.  When she said she thought Trubel was dead, it did not come off as "Oh my, I thought she was dead!  I'm glad she was alive!" and more like "I thought she was dead!  And she's not!  Damn it!"  Remember, Trubel is  the one person who was as close as one could be to witness Adalind rape Nick (she saw "Juliette" come down from the room, followed her, and then saw her transform back into Adalind). Also, Adalind is now both completely annoying and completely boring.  Congrats show for that one!

2 - So, that nurse...totally looked like she could have been Rosalee's older sister.  At one point, when she came into Trubel's room before the slap fest, I actually thought that she was Rosalee for a moment.  Was she a Geier?

3 - So, the whole Rat King plot.  I wasn't overly fond of it, but I thought it could have been good.  It reminded me of a season 1 plot and I think if they had devoted more time to it and had hired better actors for it (Really, they were terrible!), it could have been awesome.  And, if they had brought back season 1 Roddy, I think they would have gone a long way in reminded long time viewers of how good this show once was and maybe give them hope that it might be that good again.

4 - So, rats and cats?  Really?  I'm waiting for the yet-to-be-introduced Duck Wesen to battle the Eisbeibers.  That would be an excellent episode for November of season 6 (on the off chance that there actually is a season 6).

5 - Oh, Meisner...how I love thee!  Although I have to admit I think he is a bit of a mistake on the part of the creative team. That fight scene was probably the best of the show, but I felt rather bummed that the badass is not the actual hero, but this other guy.  

6 - I'm sick of there being Grimm and then a side show of whatever Renard is doing.  They need to actually involve him in this show.

7 - I really hope that all those viewers who go on and on about the Nick/Adalind "chemistry" watched the few minutes Adalind and Meisner were on the screen together.  THAT, my friends, is chemistry.

I don't think I'll watch next week's ep live, but I'll wait for word from you all if it is worth my time.  I do hope that this show gets back to its roots...that's the only way it will see another season. 

Edited by OtterMommy

One more quick thought from this episode, but it really applies to a lot of the episodes from the last season on.

Nick needs to start wearing this shirt all the time:

Im%20a%20grimm_zpsoerqkvbg.jpg

Because, seriously, he is now just TELLING wesen he's a Grimm.  When the klaustreich girl woged out, she didn't see Nick...and she didn't need to know he was a Grimm....but what does Nick do?  "Oh, Hey!  You're a klaustreich!" Frankly, it would have made that plot more interesting if she had NOT known he was a Grimm.

I love you Nick, but you are becoming a dumber ass with each passing episode.

• Love 1

. . .

So, I'm not sure if I am just so much more intelligent that a big chunk of fans or if I'm just overly cynical about Adalind, but this episode sort of cemented my feeling that she's up to no good.  When she said she thought Trubel was dead, it did not come off as "Oh my, I thought she was dead!  I'm glad she was alive!" and more like "I thought she was dead!  And she's not!  Damn it!"  Remember, Trubel is  the one person who was as close as one could be to witness Adalind rape Nick (she saw "Juliette" come down from the room, followed her, and then saw her transform back into Adalind). Also, Adalind is now both completely annoying and completely boring.  Congrats show for that one!

. . .

Yeah, the same thought occurred to me a couple of weeks ago but I kept forgetting about it.  It was when she was out with Baby Kelly and ran into her former colleague from the law firm.  After she talked with him, it seemed to me that Adalind got this really calculating look in her eyes as if she were trying to figure out how to manipulate her current circumstances for results that would be the most advantageous for her.  And, if that included using all of these people (Nick, Rosalee, Monroe, Bud, etc.) who were bending over backwards to help her and then just discarding them, well, tough.

• Love 1

Why did Nick leave Trubel alone in the hospital without a police guard? Has Nick forgotten what happened to Aunt Marie and his mother? Guess he's too busy dealing with the Wesen of the week to care.

I'm ok with Meisner becoming Adalinds new Boo. They at least have chemistry.

I thought ratzilla was silly, I laughed during the electrocution scene.

• Love 2

One part of the appeal of Grimm for me has always been it's aura of campiness and that seems to be gone now.

I thought this episode was very campy (electrocution of Rat Kong and Monroe running in place to help with Ratzilla) but I think I know what you mean. It was like those parts were unintentionally funny rather than on-purpose camp.
  • Love 2

The pairing of the A plot and B plot sucked this week. The parts felt like they were from two completely different episodes.

First half was so cheesy (pun intended) with a giant Ratzilla and Monroe acting more goofy than usual, while on the other half of the episode had a super tense story with Trubel gravely injured in a hospital bed ready to be murdered at any moment. Talk about mood whiplash.

Edited by icewolf
  • Love 4

6 - I'm sick of there being Grimm and then a side show of whatever Renard is doing.  They need to actually involve him in this show.

Instead of being on the phone in his darkened office, his new schtick is going to be sitting with sleazy politicians listening to their grandiose plans.

• Love 1

Look, I know Nick had other things to do like figure out all this Lauren Cole stuff and do his actual job, but you know that Trubel is badly hurt, wearing body armor, and has multiple IDs on her so I think it's safe to assume that someone should stay at the hospital with her, especially since she's unconscious. Maybe I'm just paranoid but if my friend had been kidnapped and then showed up injured and was sedated before she could tell me what the hell had happened, I would not leave her alone in a hospital. Even if the nurse and doctor weren't wesen, anyone could just stroll into her room and hurt her while she was still sedated.

I agree that Nick shouldn't be announcing he's a grimm to every wesen he meets. Coincidentally, this week on the Flash/Arrow crossover, some Super Sekrit identities got blabbed and I was like come on, you guys, at least pretend that your secret identities are a secret!

I still want to know how Trubel found Nick's new lair. I was totally cracking up when he found the panel of buttons and just started pushing them. It's a good thing she didn't get the rocket launcher option installed or the new lair would have become the burned down lair.

Last week when Trubel showed up (after Meisner let her out of her cell and asked if she was ready), I was worried that she had been brainwashed or had Stockholm Syndrome and they were setting some kind of trap for Nick. I still wasn't entirely convinced that she wasn't setting him up at the beginning of the episode. Hopefully next week instead of the "I have so much to tell you," she will actually tell Nick what's happening. I mean, I give her a pass this week since she was unconscious for most of the episode.

Yay for Meisner!

• Love 1