Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: AKA Ladies Night

The opening credits music for this is not as memorable as Daredevil, but the art is pretty unique. Can't say I've seen credits that look like this before.

So far so good. I am loving Jessica, flaws and all. She cracks me up. She's like Veronica Mars with super powers.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Veronica Mars With Superpowers is exactly what I wanted this show to be.  Although I was not expecting it to start off that dark.

The credits are supposed to look like David Mack's covers for the Alias comic.  He may actually have been the one to do them. 51l9MbP6nGL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Should we assume that Jeri Hogarth was working for Kingpin?

• Love 5

The credits are supposed to look like David Mack's covers for the Alias comic.  He may actually have been the one to do them. 

That's immediately what I thought as well. Definitely evoking the comic book covers. And the music was fitting, too. It starts off with a kind of sleuthy vibe, then turns into something more fraught and discordant. A lot like Jessica herself.

Kristen Ritter did a great job of making Jessica immediately likeable as a protagonist. Sympathetic but very rough around the edges. Her PTSD was immediately evident, and I like the way Ritter played it. The rape allegory is obvious (and while she 'wanted' to do the things Kilgrave had her do, it appears sex isn't too low on his list, so there was actual rape too) and clearly still haunts her to the extent she struggles to function. The spikiness that keeps people at a distance makes sense, given her fear of being used to hurt people. She's funny, but she is an arsehole whose behaviour deserves a lot of the cracks that come her way.

Luke was okay, nothing too interesting there yet. I'm sure he'll get more to do in later episodes. I did like Trish as the friend who wants to help. She felt real and I like the fact Jessica has someone who genuinely cares about her, even if she doesn't want her to. It gave me a little glimpse into who Jessica might have been before Kilgrave came along. I want to learn more about that.

Not sure what to make of Carrie Anne Moss's character yet. Good? Bad? Neither?

The end was genuinely shocking, because I thought that Hope had been taken just to lure Jessica, and that Kilgrave wouldn't care too much that she was rescued. Guess he's evil and vindictive enough to make sure both Hope and Jessica suffer more, and don't get to just walk away. Just based on this, he seems like a worse villain than Kingpin, because I get the impression he's just doing stuff for his own amusement rather than for some bigger goal. Unless he does have a bigger goal that will be revealed later.

• Love 8

Really liking the show so far. Good opening episode.

The ending was definitely a surprise. Such a dark turn that really fits with the overall storyline of Jessica and Kilgrave. Also like how they are establishing Kilgrave so far. They have also done a good job setting up Jessica still traumatized.

Agreeing with those above about not really feeling Luke and Jessica so far. Her and Trish definitely worked in their scene together. Could really feel the emotions coming from both women.

Intrigued so far by Carrie Anne Moss's character. Wondering what her role will ultimately be with Jessica by the end of the season. Also wondering if there was any changes made to the character's overall story when it was changed from a man to a woman.

• Love 1

Hubs and I just finished it and I was told in no uncertain terms that I had to wait to watch the next episode (he had to leave, so I switched over to Sleepy Hollow), which is a good thing.  Really enjoyed it- love Kristen Ritter's portrayal- Veronica Mars with Superpowers/PTSD indeed (The VM spin has to be fun for Ritter)

Absolutely loved how dark it got-Kilgrave certainly seems like he is just unapologetically evil.  Really curious about Mosses' character. Luke Cage didn't get to do much-but I imagine he will be one of the ones trying to break Jessica's walls down (especially after he figures out she is super powered).

I really liked the credits- the noir feel, the discordance.  I think they set the mood well. 

• Love 3

Ditto about the VM parallels. I mean, the beginning even felt like a full-on homage. That said, I'm a huge VM fan (one of my top 3 TV shows), so I don't mind.

The ending was a shocker. Really pulled me in. I rarely get so many emotions so soon into the show, so good work. Poor Jessica, and poor Hope. I can't believe what it's like for her - I wonder if she'll ever get normal :/ Not too likely.

So Luke Cage thing started as a random hook up? I think the actors do have some chemistry, but he needs to be involved in the main plot, pronto.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

I liked the first episode. I think it started off really slow, but once Jessica realized that Hope was connected to Killgrave and that Kilgrave was alive, it really picked up nicely. The final scene was so gut-wrenching to watch.

This is where I am too.  I thought it was a slow but steady buildup, By the end of the first episode, I was into it.  It is definitely dark and creepy.  Ritter sold it for me.  I thought she was excellent.   Even though we didn't get very many details of what happened to her, I feel like it was all there in her face and interactions with others.

I also thought it was a pretty good introduction to Luke Cage, but that's all it really was, a brief intro.  That's fine for one episode.

• Love 3

Not a huge Ritter fan but she's doing a nice job. I already like the show a lot more than Daredevil. (Yay for no superhero costumes!) Procedurals put me to sleep so I'm glad the missing girl case ties in to her backstory.

• Love 4

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

That's all I have to say about that final scene. I feel sorry for Hope and Jessica.

I always liked the conceit of the "Alias" comics that Jessica was a hero in the Marvel Universe that we never heard about but lost her powers and had to be a private investigator(which actually happened to Spider-Woman(Jessica Drew) and Brian Bendis was originally wanted "Alias" to be about her. The way they've set it up on the show is that it feels like the third or fourth season of a more lighthearted show about a female superhero that got really, REALLY dark.

Oh and nice to see Lesbians can cheat on their spouses too!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

The whole thing for Jessica tracking Hope down and then forcibly dragging her out of the hotel (It was a hotel room, right?) while Hope kicked and screamed and did everything to stay in the room portrayed Kilgrave's influence very well.

Then the elevator scene at the end... you have to wonder if one of the reasons Hope fought so hard was because she knew there was one more command he gave her. It's hard to say because we don't know exactly how much sentience Kilgrave's victims have once he takes control.

Either way... it's so fucked up.

• Sad 1
  • Love 15

I caught the first episode and some of the second this morning. As soon as the voiceover kicked in, I was thinking "well hello, Veronica Mars!" and decided I'd probably like this more than Daredevil (which I was honestly pretty "meh" on, despite just about everyone I know loving it). 

I do like Jessica so far, and I think Krysten Ritter is excellent in this role. She's a very hit or miss actress for me, but I'm enjoying her in this so far. I'd like to see more of Trish and their history together. Luke Cage is alright-  I think they have decent chemistry but hasn't really had much to do at this point. Isn't he supposed to be getting his own series next? I'm wondering how much of a main character he'll be here, or if he's just supposed to be kind of a secondary character so his own show can fill in gaps. 

Killgrave seems intensely creepy. I love David Tennant, and this is not how I would have chosen to tie him to the Marvel franchise, but I know he will be awesome anyway. I'm interested to see if we get backstory on his character the way Kingpin did in Daredevil. 

• Love 4

Ritter is not my thing, I look at her and see a goofy side-kick from romantic comedy and a goofy Veronica Mars character. But I'm willing to give her a chance... She's really doing a good job with PTSD, it's just that i don't buy her as a serious character.

+1 to liking the credits. The watercolour feel and music really got me.

I liked the dark turn and the fact that the villain seems insanely creepy and powerfull. I also like the fact that Jessica's abilities are not all front and center, but very underplayed. Yes, she can hold up a car. Yes, she can jump (fly?) to a balcony. But how powerfull is she really? (I want to find out)

The Luke Cage thing seemed weird to me. Was she observing him? I got the impression at first, that they used to be an item, but whatever happened in her life, split them apart. I guess that was not the case and they just hooked up.

• Love 3

Krysten Ritter is absolutely nailing the tough but vulnerable thing. You can see why she was chosen for Jessica.

I love that we only saw Kilgrave in Jessica's flashbacks and the carnage he left with Hope. We really haven't even met him and I already hate his guts.

• Fire 1
  • Love 6
Ritter is not my thing, I look at her and see a goofy side-kick from romantic comedy and a goofy Veronica Mars character. But I'm willing to give her a chance... She's really doing a good job with PTSD, it's just that i don't buy her as a serious character.

If I hadn't seen her as Jane on Breaking Bad I wouldn't have taken her seriously either but she was so great on that show. He and Aaron Paul were so terrific together.

Loved Jessica's conversation with Trish.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 7

Love Ritter as Jessica, credits are skippable, and maybe it was the other lesbian content but I spent a while thinking Trish and Jessica were ex-lovers, not ex-friends. The girl who plays Hope is also riveting. Great pilot.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

Good pilot. So far I like how much it is like Darevil and how much it isn't. This isn't going to be Daredevil but with a girl. It looks like it is more emotionally raw instead of gritty and violent. That emotional rawness will turn off a lot of people but I like it. Plus I like a dark protagonist especially a female one.

Titter is great so far just the right amount of wanting to do good but scared shitless of who and what she is.

The first episode started off really slow but it gathers steam and I am mist definetly in this for the long haul.

• Love 2

I initially assumed Trish and Jessica were sisters, but close friends works. Trish is putting herself out there to an enormous extent on Jessica's behalf.

It didn't occur to me that I might need to prepare myself for Jeryn being on the dark side. Gah. I like her character very much and Jessica needs strong allies.

Serving papers pays enough to fly to Hong Kong on a last-minute ticket? I am in the wrong line of work.

Since the credits seem to be a thing, I disliked them to the extent that they made me feel slightly anxious and jangly. There's probably a neurophysiology research paper in there somewhere.

• Applause 1

Oh man, I was not expecting that ending! Poor Hope is even now more screwed up for life than I originally thought she'd be. I was actually surprised she wasn't also dead when the elevator opened. I guess when we learn more about Kilgrave that might make sense.

I'm liking Krysten Ritter as this darker, problematic Veronica (because count me in too for immediate thoughts to VM when we saw Jessica snapping photos). Those tiny flashes of Kilgrave are already creepy, and I was feeling anxious when Jessica was staring down that hotel hallway. Good job, show!

The pace was a little on the slow side, but I love Broadchurch, which also built slowly, so I didn't have an issue with it.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

This was excellent! And I can't remember a show where almost all the protagonists are women and the show isn't a sitcom. And I find them all intriguing. Was that Robin Weigert, aka Calamity Jane form Deadwood as Carry Anne Moss' girlfriend? I hope she has a bigger role than what I saw from her in this episode.

It's easy to see that Trish cares for Jessica a lot and is also quite hurt that she hadn't heard from her for 6 months. Overall excellent acting.

I was wondering how they would make this scary but it slowly built until I was gripping my glass towards the end. I had this small thought that it seemed a bit too easy to get Hope out of there until the elevator door started to close and Hope pulled out the gun. There was a small scene when she scooped up her purse during her fight to stay there and I had wondered about that momentarily. But I was too enthralled with it to even think that it's odd how much she wants that purse.

I'm not sure what that says but I think David Tennant is an excellent choice for this. He does have a snake-like quality sometimes.

Still, if you can't sleep, turning off the lights might actually help. Or not. I guess watching your hot neighbors have sex might help too.

Loved the credits. I always found the Daredevil credits rather boring and generic. But after one episode, I like this far better than Daredevil and I like that one quite a bit too.

ETA: I also love that the superpowers are kind of an afterthought. No big fight scenes, yawn, and an enemy she can't punch.

Edited by supposebly
  • Love 4

Yay for no superhero costumes!

So much this! I don't mind it when they serve a clear purpose, like with Iron Man, but in most cases they just look utterly ridiculous.

Like the one Trish made for Jessica.

That she doesn't have a superhero name is also refreshing.

Good pilot. So far I like how much it is like Darevil and how much it isn't. This isn't going to be Daredevil but with a girl. It looks like it is more emotionally raw instead of gritty and violent. That emotional rawness will turn off a lot of people but I like it. Plus I like a dark protagonist especially a female one.

That's what drew me into the show, too. I really liked the trailers and what I heard about the character in general. Checked out Daredevil last week because the shows were supposed to be connected (and it got good reviews, too), but I like this show a lot better. Especially Jessica is a lot more interesting than Matt, and way more fun, too.

Was that Robin Weigert, aka Calamity Jane form Deadwood as Carry Anne Moss' girlfriend? I hope she has a bigger role than what I saw from her in this episode.

Loved the credits. I always found the Daredevil credits rather boring and generic. But after one episode, I like this far better than Daredevil and I like that one quite a bit too.

ETA: I also love that the superpowers are kind of an afterthought. No big fight scenes, yawn, and an enemy she can't punch.

Yeah, that was her. I had to think a moment where I know her from, but then I was like "Yay, Calamity Jane!". And of course she's excellent here, too.

Yes, she does get a bigger role.

The credits are fine, though maybe a tad long for a show supposed to be binge watched. I liked Daredevil's a bit better. Reminded me of Hannibal, and everything that reminds me about Hannibal is a good thing.

+1 for the relative lack of fight scenes. They're always in danger of getting boring whenever super powers are involved. They use them sparsely here, but well.

• Love 1

Btw., I don't see the Veronica Mars parallels at all. Just because she has a camera and a short voice over.

Kristen Bell has that smirky quality that always annoyed me about Veronica and there is really nothing like that about Jessica Jones. Very different characters. Don't get me wrong, I loved Veronica Mars, warts and all, but this is a very different character and show to me.

Edited by supposebly

+1 to liking the credits. The watercolour feel and music really got me.

I liked the dark turn and the fact that the villain seems insanely creepy and powerfull. I also like the fact that Jessica's abilities are not all front and center, but very underplayed. Yes, she can hold up a car. Yes, she can jump (fly?) to a balcony. But how powerfull is she really? (I want to find out)

The Luke Cage thing seemed weird to me. Was she observing him? I got the impression at first, that they used to be an item, but whatever happened in her life, split them apart. I guess that was not the case and they just hooked up.

Please know that this is unspoiled spec, I have only seen episode one and never read the comics. However, I feel based on what we know already that it seems very likely Jessica killed Luke's ex, probably while under mind control. Remember when she saw a woman's photo in his medicine cabinet? It would explain why she's obsessed with watching him (in the voiceover she refers to the watching as a case she can't let go of, early in episode), and why she seemed to experience immediate self-loathing, then fled, after they hooked up. And it will provide the conflict in their relationship.

(I want to say again that I would never, ever post spoilers disguised as spec, just feel pretty confident we're going there and that the show already told us.)

ETA, I am one of what I suspect will be a decent chunk of people who tried and tried to get into Daredevil but ultimately landed on Meh, but who like this much better.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 8

Please know that this is unspoiled spec, I have only seen episode one and never read the comics. However, I feel based on what we know already that it seems very likely Jessica killed Luke's ex, probably while under mind control. Remember when she saw a woman's photo in his medicine cabinet? It would explain why she's obsessed with watching him (in the voiceover she refers to the watching as a case she can't let go of, early in episode), and why she seemed to experience immediate self-loathing, then fled, after they hooked up. And it will provide the conflict in their relationship.

(I want to say again that I would never, ever post spoilers disguised as spec, just feel pretty confident we're going there and that the show already told us.)

ETA, I am one of what I suspect will be a decent chunk of people who tried and tried to get into Daredevil but ultimately landed on Meh, but who like this much better.

Dead on the money.

• Love 2

Btw., I don't see the Veronica Mars parallels at all. Just because she has a camera and a short voice over.

Kristen Bell has that smirky quality that always annoyed me about Veronica and there is really nothing like that about Jessica Jones. Very different characters. Don't get me wrong, I loved Veronica Mars, warts and all, but this is a very different character and show to me.

I can see why people are using it as shorthand. Both characters were women who were victimized by men and became hardened and haunted by it. They both had radically different lives beforehand (Veronica as popular teen, Jessica as hero, I guess); they are both "hard boiled detectives" now, seeking the one who wronged them while trying to protect others. And they also get to smack-talk jerks in a satisfying way.

• Love 9

Yep. I’m not saying this show is exactly the same as Veronica Mars, there are just similarities that remind me of it (in the best way) and I dig it. I’m only three episodes in at this point, but so far this show is doing a better job of filling the Veronica Mars void for me than the last two Veronica Mars novels combined. Though to be fair, Veronica Mars only started having plots that annoy the shit out of me in its second season, so it might be too early to tell with this show.

• Love 3

Damn, I didn't see that ending coming.  That was dark as hell.  Poor Hope.

Thought it was a pretty solid start for the series.  A bit slow at first, but I thought it picked up as it went on.  So far, I think Krysten Ritter is nailing it.  She sells the toughness, snark, and with that Jessica normally has, but shows the vulnerability she has and how damaged she still is.  The way her face fell when she realized that it was Killgrave behind Hope's disappearance, was killer.  I think she is the perfect choice for this role (then again, I wasn't all that impressed with the other three contenders.)

Good seeing Mike Colter in a better show compared to The Following, although Luke didn't serve much of a purpose yet, but I'm sure that's going to change since I know Luke Cage is a pretty well-known character.  Indifferent to Jessica's neighbor or whoever he was.  Trish though, is kind of interesting and I really enjoyed the actresses in their scene, even if I'm still not a huge fan of Rachael Taylor's American accent.

Carrie Ann-Moss was great.  Can't wait to see more of her character.

Didn't see much of Kilgrave, but I love the slow build-up and how we are already seeing how much damage he is doing.  This power he has is truly scary and is actually something I imagine most psychopaths would do, if they somehow acquired it.  Plus, it's David Tennant.  Seeing The Doctor licking a sleeping woman is just disturbing on so, so many levels.

I liked the look of the credits, but the music wasn't all that great.  I think I know what they were trying to go for, but I don't know if they fully stuck the landing.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

Thought it was a pretty solid start for the series.  A bit slow at first, but I thought it picked up as it went on.  So far, I think Krysten Ritter is nailing it.  She sells the toughness, snark, and with that Jessica normally has, but shows the vulnerability she has and how damaged she still is.  The way her face fell when she realized that it was Killgrave behind Hope's disappearance, was killer.  I think she is the perfect choice for this role (then again, I wasn't all that impressed with the other three contenders.)

Who were the other three? Of the top of my head, I could see Eliza Dushku working for the role as well, but Krysten Ritter is really just perfect and one of the main reasons I was looking forward to the show.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

Who were the other three? Of the top of my head, I could see Eliza Dushku working for the role as well, but Krysten Ritter is really just perfect and one of the main reasons I was looking forward to the show.

Can't find the article, but from what I remember, the other finalists were Alexandria Daddario, Teresa Palmer, and Jessica De Gouw (The Huntress from Arrow.)  I don't dislike any of them or anything, but I just remembering seeing that list, and automatically thinking Krysten was the much better choice.

• Love 2

I am only halfway through the first episode, but the opening credits are probably the worst credits that I have seen in a while. The Daredevil opening immediately pulled you in, this one....makes you want to turn of the TV.

The credits are okay. Its the music I think that throws them off.  I was expecting something closer to the trailers.

Not sure i could see Dushku in this one. I have always found her super one note as an actress always playing the tough cocky cool-girl. Not sure she is a good enough actress to handle the layers Jessica has.

• Love 8

This was a great introduction to Jessica Jones. I wasn't sure about Ritter playing the part but after seeing her in Breaking Bad I knew she could play the broken mess side of Jessica. I don't mind her being on the skinny side because she has super powers she doesn't need to look strong and I think it works for people underestimating her. 

I don't really care about the credits, I normally skip over them to get the episodes. 

This did give me a grittier Veronica Mars vibe with the opening scene. That was basically Veronica's monologue but with more nudity and sex.

Edited by Sakura12

Oh one more thing Ritter reminds me a bit of Eva Green . They both have this sort  of ugly-pretty mix going on. One second  a fragile ivory beauty , then a slight turn of the head and there are all these lines and haggardness going on.  It works well for emotionally damaged characters.

• Love 9

Not sure i could see Dushku in this one. I have always found her super one note as an actress always playing the tough cocky cool-girl. Not sure she is a good enough actress to handle the layers Jessica has.

Very much this. Never quite figured out why they kept trying to have her anchor shows.

Ritter is perfect.

• Love 3

As someone who has never watched Tennant's turn as The Doctor, it did take me out of the moment in a different way when Jessica "dreamt" of him licking her face. All I could think is, "Man, he's still channeling Barty Crouch Jr and getting all licky with things."

This was a really strong pilot. I likened it to one part Buffy (after resurrection) plus one part Veronica Mars plus way more PTSD.

Anyway, I'm in for the long haul. And count me as one who likes the credits. Jessica, to me, is like interpretive jazz. You know the general melody, but the notes fly all over the place, taking you on a journey you didn't know was possible within the constraints of the song. And when you get to the end of the song - you aren't quite sure how you got there, and you can't play the song back the same, but you can't get it out of your head.

• Love 6

The credits are okay. Its the music I think that throws them off.  I was expecting something closer to the trailers.

Yeah...is it just me or did the beginning of the credits music remind anyone else of the music from RDJ's Sherlock Holmes movies?

I don't mind her being on the skinny side because she has super powers she doesn't need to look strong and I think it works for people underestimating her. 

She carries herself like a badass as well. I noticed that in a scene that tracked her from the back. She's a tiny, tiny person, yet I totally believe she could kick anyone's ass. 

I don't mind the Veronica Mars comparisons. They're similar (in a good way,) but also very different.

• Love 3

I was just thinking about how writing this show for an adult audience has really made the whole thing so much better. I kind of wish they could have done the same thung for the MCU movies. Imagine how much better Iron Man 2 could have been if Tony could have had the same level of drinking and self destructive attitude that Jessica has. Imagine how much better Iron Man 3 could have been if Tony's PTSD could have been shown in a similar was to Jessica's.

• Love 4

Did not see that ending coming. Wow. Reminded me of Taxi Driver a bit. Also a very good portrayal of PTSD; I've experienced it myself and seeing someone in a TV show doing grounding exercises and having crazy dreams and flashbacks made me feel slightly less alone and abnormal. Some parts did remind me a bit of Veronica Mars and how much I miss the first season of that show. I love the look of the credits but the music towards the end fell flat for me. Wish it had stayed jazzy throughout, but that's a minor quibble.

• Love 5

As someone who has never watched Tennant's turn as The Doctor, it did take me out of the moment in a different way when Jessica "dreamt" of him licking her face. All I could think is, "Man, he's still channeling Barty Crouch Jr and getting all licky with things."

Weirdly enough, his Doctor did a fair amount of licking, too. His companions occasionally had to call him on it. He apparently could taste the chemical composition of things by licking them and in his enthusiasm would miss the fact that humans find it to be an odd behavior.

He's talked about the licking in interviews and said that it was in the script for him to do it. Also that it was one of the first scenes that he and Krysten Ritter did together and that he apologized to her for doing it.

Jessica Jones is really drawing me in. I came to the show as a David Tennant fan, but I think I'm turning into a Jessica Jones fan.

• Fire 1
  • Love 5

I liked Daredevil quite a bit, and am looking forward to the tying in of the Netflix series in a similar way to how the main Marvel properties have worked so well together, but had to force myself to watch this, as I hate the comic book and character. Strangely, the series is much better than  expected! from the opening credits (which I love) to the characterizations, to the whole feel of the show, I think this might even surpass Daredevil for me.

I think it might be because Jessica was inserted into the comics in a way that read like bad fan fiction, whereas the Netflixverse is just getting started, and we meet her as a part of the world building. I like it.

(I cannot relate Carrie Moss to Hogarth, though. Hogarth was fat. And what has TV got against redheads? "Trish" Walker? Jimmy Olsen? Roy Harper? Lana Lang? I know there was a Ginger sweep of the Oscars last year, but does the backlash have to be so blatant?)

• Love 2

I've always found the preponderance of redheads in comic books to be a little odd anyway. You've got Jean Grey, Mary Jane, Jimmy Olsen, Patsy Walker, Roy Harper, Medusa, Gambit, Starfire, Matt Murdock, Natasha Romanoff, Mystique, Guy Gardner, Barbara Gordon, Wally West and more, all with red hair.

I guess orange ink was thought to make the page more vivid, or to make characters stand out more. It doesn't really bother me if hair changes colour from page to screen. It's not like Jessica's hair is comic book accurate either. Krysten Ritter's hair is much darker than any artist's interpretation of Jessica previously.

The insertion of Jessica into the Marvel universe was awkward, but I guess that was because Bendis had this idea he wanted to use Jessica Drew for, but was told she wasn't available. So instead of a pre-existing character who had lost her powers, he wrote a new one and just said she was pre-existing. It could have been worse. And it was, when Bendis created The Sentry.

• Love 2

I've always found the preponderance of redheads in comic books to be a little odd anyway. You've got Jean Grey, Mary Jane, Jimmy Olsen, Patsy Walker, Roy Harper, Medusa, Gambit, Starfire, Matt Murdock, Natasha Romanoff, Mystique, Guy Gardner, Barbara Gordon, Wally West and more, all with red hair.

I guess orange ink was thought to make the page more vivid, or to make characters stand out more. It doesn't really bother me if hair changes colour from page to screen. It's not like Jessica's hair is comic book accurate either. Krysten Ritter's hair is much darker than any artist's interpretation of Jessica previously.

The insertion of Jessica into the Marvel universe was awkward, but I guess that was because Bendis had this idea he wanted to use Jessica Drew for, but was told she wasn't available. So instead of a pre-existing character who had lost her powers, he wrote a new one and just said she was pre-existing. It could have been worse. And it was, when Bendis created The Sentry.

I stopped reading Marvel around the Sentry period, but, yes, he reminded me of Jessica. I know the Drew history, but the insertion of Jones into every single event in Marvel history was annoying, especially for a long-time reader.

Maybe it's because I'm half-Irish, but there seemed to be the right amount of redheads in comics. Maybe I ought to start a casting agency?

• Love 1

I am only halfway through the first episode, but the opening credits are probably the worst credits that I have seen in a while. The Daredevil opening immediately pulled you in, this one....makes you want to turn of the TV.

Maybe they make you want to turn off the tv. I happen to respectfully disagree with that opinion. I think the opening credits are fantastic and evoke the original comic covers. It's very noir and moodsetting. 

Ive seen people elsewhere who hate these credits too, but I'm on the side of liking them. They're discordant and a bit hard to watch, but that's entirely on purpose. The show itself is going to be discordant and hard to watch (for various reasons) at times--this is just a hint of what's to come.  This is a fucked up person, so her view of the world, as shown through those credits, is also going to be fucked up.

• Love 3