Type keyword(s) to search

Hair Care: Tips, Tools, and Talk

• Start Topic

I've recently reduced the number of times per week that I shampoo my hair (and have noticed a huge improvement in thickness, shine, and health) and now am looking for a good dry shampoo to extend the initial wash and blow out and to use while on travel.  

I’ve dried a few drug store brands and find them to be a bit on the sticky side; searching Google for a list of the ‘best’ yields some interesting, often conflicting results.

I’ve tried Batastie and Dove and had decent success with them (I did have to brush my hair with a boar hair brush to remove some of the white powdery residue).  I am looking for a non-aerosol product as well as the traditional spray cans.

Any recommendations?

I've recently reduced the number of times per week that I shampoo my hair (and have noticed a huge improvement in thickness, shine, and health) and now am looking for a good dry shampoo to extend the initial wash and blow out and to use while on travel.  

I’ve dried a few drug store brands and find them to be a bit on the sticky side; searching Google for a list of the ‘best’ yields some interesting, often conflicting results.

I’ve tried Batastie and Dove and had decent success with them (I did have to brush my hair with a boar hair brush to remove some of the white powdery residue).  I am looking for a non-aerosol product as well as the traditional spray cans.

Any recommendations?

Tthis shouldn't be "framed" but I don't know how to escape the frame...My son (normal to geasy hair) used Batiste, I (normal to dry hair, sensitive scalp) use Klorane. Hope that helps :-)

I’m looking for a non-aerosol option; I find that I have a rather adverse reaction to some of the propellants used in aerosol sprays.

Has anyone tried Lulu’s Organics?  They pop up on a lot of “recommended” dry shampoos lists as does Lush’s No Drought and Blow Pro Faux Dry Shampoo.

Has anyone tried the Bedhead Makin' Waves? My curling iron is crap and needs to be replaced but I really don't have a need to curl my hair, I like to try and make it wavy.

http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?skuId=2259247&productId=xlsImpprod5250153

I'm not even sure I'd know how to operate that tool.  ;-)

I use a knockoff version of the Beachwaver when I want to style my hair with some waves - that is when I don't want to take the time to wet/wash my hair and let it air dry in twists.

It looks like it operates like a flat iron, just with a wave bar. I picked it up last night, will return it if it sucks.

Let me know what you think of it. I have been eyeing various curling/wave tools like that, so I am curious how it works.

I gave up store bought shampoo more than a year ago and my hair has never looked or felt better.  I wash my hair 3-4 times a week depending on how much I sweat and use a bit of oil (coconut or avocado) as a leave in conditioner.  Once a week I'll use a mayo (homemade) mask, wash my hair as usual and do an acv rinse.  Mask/avc days I don't oil because it makes my hair feel greasy and heavy.  

Has anyone else switched or tried making their own hair products?

peachmangosteen, on 29 Dec 2015 - 11:02 AM, said:

What do you use now?

What's in the mayo mask you use?

I started using this recipe for shampoo.    This is the aloe gel I use.  I've been playing around a little bit with it.  Instead of making coconut milk (which is just water and shredded coconut) and then blending with aloe gel, I make coconut milk with shredded coconut and aloe.  Saves a step and I don't have to freeze the shampoo as the recipe suggests.  Still keep it in the fridge though.  It sounds like a lot of work, but it's really not.   

The mayo mask I use is just homemade mayo with a few drops of essential oil to cover mayo smell.  I leave it in my hair for about 30 minutes, then shampoo out.

• Love 1

I usually vary between L'Oreal Shimmering (pink container) shampoo and conditioner, Aveda Shampure shampoo and conditioner, and Kevin Murphy Blonde Angel. My hair is long and fine and most mornings I wake up looking like a scarecrow so I usually wash my hair daily. I'm hoping that my new Mason Pearson brush will help out with no having to wash the hair as often.

I usually vary between L'Oreal Shimmering (pink container) shampoo and conditioner, Aveda Shampure shampoo and conditioner, and Kevin Murphy Blonde Angel. My hair is long and fine and most mornings I wake up looking like a scarecrow so I usually wash my hair daily. I'm hoping that my new Mason Pearson brush will help out with no having to wash the hair as often.

Have you tried braiding your hair before you go to bed? When my hair was long (and moderately fine, but very thick), I used to braid it after washing it and leave it in the braid until the next day. That way I would only have to wash it every other day. Of course, if you want your hair to be very straight, braiding it won't work.

I love Mane 'n Tail conditionners, which are both for hair length and scalp, and really is a miracle for itchy or flaky scalp. The brand also has a range of shampoos, which I haven't tried yet.

How often do you wash? I think I need to try this (I wash ever other day currently).

I wash two and sometimes three times per week and I don't use regular shampoo; dependent on the time of year I use some combination of shampoo bars, aloe gel, and condiditoners.

When sleeping I twist my hair into a top knot and wrap with a soft scrunchy - this helps keep the hair looking fresh. 

Brushing your hair with a natural bristle brush is a great way to distribute the natural oils away from your scalp and keep your hair shiny.

Try twisting your hair and securing with a soft scrunchy when you sleep.

• Love 1

I just tried something called Tio Nacho shampoo.  after seeing it on a commercial and reading some reviews online (could not find a lot, just user reviews from Amazon and the like).

I have to say I am pleased with the results (based on a whooping single use).  The scent is a little strong when shampooing, but much milder after you rinse.  I have pretty long hair, but I used much less shampoo than I would normally have to and it lathers up really nice and the shampoo seemed milder than most of the others I've used (everything from pricey name brands to whatever my kids are using).  Even without conditioner, my hair feels softer than normal.

Let me know what you think of it. I have been eyeing various curling/wave tools like that, so I am curious how it works.

I apologize for never coming back. I ended up returning it. It made funky size crimps instead of waves.

Can anyone recommend a good aerosol hairspray that doesn't build up dry but sticky residue in your hair? I can't seem to get away from this issue and I've tried everything from lower hold to brush out to 'weightless' sprays. I don't even use that much spray! I just tried this Pantene Pro-V Airspray that promises "Strong but brushable formula locks in volume for a smooth finish and leaves hair moisturized and silky soft for healthy body and bounce", but that's a filthy lie.

I've used Sebastian Shaper for many years. There's also a Kevin Murphy one that isn't bad. I bought one of the Aveda aerosol formula but wanted to return it after I used about 30% of the container - it wouldn't stop spraying. Don't know if I got a dud can or what. Haven't bought it since.

• Love 1

I think ogx is overrated. But their leave in coconut hair oil serum is pretty good for the price. It adds a lot of shine, gloss,  helps detangle, remove frizz. 

I am going to try this brigeo hair mask sometime this week. 

LiQWD Professional Smoothing Catalyst is my go to magical product for removing frizz. That stuff is magic. 

ETA: Anyone have a good color safe shampoo/conditioner to recommend? I generally use a drugstore brand because I dye my own hair and don't worry about fading but I just got my hair professionally dyed blue for the first time and don't want to fade it too fast! 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

I think ogx is overrated.

Maybe it depends on each person's hair, but I find OGX has been great for my own hair which is thick, wavy, and does tend to frizz/dry out in the winter thanks to both the dry air and likely a bit of a component due to hypothyroidism that I have. (Before that, my hair actually used to get VERY oily.)

In any case, OGX does work well for me. And I love their limited edition (of course!) Champagne Fizz shampoo and conditioner!

I also use a leave-in conditioner, usually from the Sexy Hair line.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Lisin said:

LiQWD Professional Smoothing Catalyst is my go to magical product for removing frizz. That stuff is magic. 

ETA: Anyone have a good color safe shampoo/conditioner to recommend? I generally use a drugstore brand because I dye my own hair and don't worry about fading but I just got my hair professionally dyed blue for the first time and don't want to fade it too fast! 

I use Pureology volume shampoo and hydrating conditioner. All of the Pureology line is for color treated hair so you can pick and choose according to your needs. Pureology'sColour Fanatic Multi-Tasking Hair Beautifier is a good leave-in spray that helps prevent fading. I also use a thermal protectant (Bumble & Bumble Hairdressers Invisible Oil Primer and Kenra Professional Platinum Blowdry spray). Boy, I put a lot of stuff in my hair (all of the above plus curl cream).

• Love 1

@Lisin how is your color coming along? I think blue hair and blue highlights are gorgeous but heard they fade like a mofo. I have naturally very ashy light wheat hair (cardboard box colored, Manila envelope looking hair ugh) and have dyed it darker since the fall and it's been fading like crazy. Twice people have complimented me on my ombré job the past week but it's dye washing down the drain and candidly ugly  ? 

Red dye also I heard fades like crazy and a bitch to upkeep. Of course I could never pull that off, though I think red and auburn hair is stunning. 

@Petunia13 it's coming along pretty well! That being said I only actually wash my hair once a week or so and I can go longer. I have really thick hair and a not at all oily scalp so I just don't wash it that much which always helps when it comes to colors fading. I am still turning the water blue when I wash it though so it's definitely fading some! 

I also have ashy hair, though I always tell people it's swamp green because that's what mine looks like to me. Like green swamp water. Ugh. Red dye is the worst for me, it first fades like crazy and then is impossible to fully get rid of. It's like the worst of both worlds!

Here's hoping blue is a bit better because I'm about to have to cancel my touch up appointment that's in 13 days because I need to save $$ to pay for my cat's surgery. Sigh. Kitty is more important than hair I suppose. 

I've recently switched to using the John Frieda Hot Air Brush paired with that LiQWD stuff I talked about before. It's working quite well and I have a LOT of hair and it's frizzy and wavy but not wavy in all the parts so it looks goofy if I just let it air dry. Also I have bangs which we all know don't like being air dried lol.

• Love 1
On 11/19/2015 at 8:31 AM, OakGoblinFly said:

I also don't wash every day - I have long, thick & wavy hair.  If I get it blown out at the salon, I can get away with not washing it for at least 4 days...with the addition of dry shampoo.  So this works out great for me when I travel, or I have several events to go to in a weekend etc

I've tried a bunch of dry shampoos, and I can't say I've found one yet that I really LOVE.  A lot of folks seem to really like Batiste (or Pssst) and I don't think they're any better than any of the others I've tried - but that's just my experience.  I do tend to reach for the Oscar Blondi Invisible Dry Shampoo, and unfortunately, it seems to be discontinued or at least not offered any more at Ulta/Sephora/Target.  I have a bit of a stockpile but I do need to find a new favourite.  I have a few travel/sample sizes of dry shampoos at home "waiting in the wings" for me to try - so hopefully one of them will knock my socks off.

I don't blow out my hair at home, or use a flat iron.  It has a LOT of wave in it, so I can make it REALLY BIG and curly if I choose to do so (I usually don't LOL).  I usually just wash it in the evening, and then after toweling dry, and using Redken's Anti-Snap Leave In Conditioner, I braid it pretty tightly and then the next morning my hair is relatively controlled...not frizzy and wavy.  I like various different curl creams to keep the frizzies at bay (Aveda, Fekkai, Bumble & Bumble)...just depends on my mood.  I have WAY too many hair products.  Right now I have a martorium on shampoo and conditioner and I am using up my supply before I buy ANYTHING else.  It's hard.  

• Love 1

I love "beach" hair, but dislike the fragrances in commercial salt hair sprays (they usually smell like suntan lotion and coconut). I Google'd some recipes and I'm going to make my own unscented version. Wish me luck.   

• Love 1

How I understand it is the hair is wavy and tousled with some texture, sort of how salt water adds body to hair. I think it's more of a hair style those with non-super curly haor or really thivk hair can do (at least according to my friends with thick hair). I was really hopeful when I tried all the sea sprays that I might finally get to have some sort of volume/lift in my fine/ limp hair but alas, not so much. 

I have fine hair, and thin hair (as in, not a lot of it) to boot, and while the biggest boost to volume for me comes from keeping my hair at a moderate length (not below my shoulders) with long layers because that brings out waves I don't otherwise have, I have found that Nexxus Diametress Leave-In Conditioning Creme really does add volume to it.

1 hour ago, caitmcg said:

I have fine hair, and thin hair (as in, not a lot of it) to boot, and while the biggest boost to volume for me comes from keeping my hair at a moderate length (not below my shoulders) with long layers because that brings out waves I don't otherwise have, I have found that Nexxus Diametress Leave-In Conditioning Creme really does add volume to it.

really?? i may have to get this to try.

15 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

How I understand it is the hair is wavy and tousled with some texture, sort of how salt water adds body to hair. I think it's more of a hair style those with non-super curly haor or really thivk hair can do (at least according to my friends with thick hair). I was really hopeful when I tried all the sea sprays that I might finally get to have some sort of volume/lift in my fine/ limp hair but alas, not so much. 

I htink I understand. I have straight, thick but fine hair. If I want waves, chemicals or curling implements must be involved, along with tons of hairspray because humidity will take the waves and the curls right out.

19 hours ago, auntlada said:

I've read that phrase -- beach hair -- several times recently. What is it? My hair at the beach is nothing anyone would do on purpose.

I love my hair at the beach. The wind and salt seem to add volume and bring out the waves. 

• Love 1

I have fine, thin hair -- that started falling out like crazy after a hair color nightmare several years ago. I couldn't even put my hand through it without three of four strands falling out -- and that was in addition to the who-knows-how-many I lost between the shower and the blow dry. Anyway, about three weeks ago I got a deluxe sample with my Rouge points of something called Alterna Caviar Haircare. Let me tell you, the Caviar CC Cream for Hair 10-in-1 Complete Correction is MAGICAL as is the conditioner. My hair, which is also wavy and frizzy, has never been softer and more manageable and - my hair is no longer falling out like crazy. It's pricey -- but I'm willing to spend because this stuff works

I also don't understand beach hair -- unless the objective is to have a tangled rat's nest because that's what I get. 

@Giant Misfit sometimes it's better to splurge money on what works for you vs spend less a bunch  of times on stuff that don't. You actually can end up saving money and certainly time, weird as it seems. I went through that spiel with foundations and mascaras. 

A beauty influencer who goes way back swears by Alterna Hair Caviar and her hair is now looong and thick and bouncy. I think there's a value set this on the Nordstrom anniversary sale but it's sold out. 

• Love 1

Is anyone here a "wash and go" type person?  My hair is constantly in a ponytail (this is what happens when your life basically revolves around work and the gym) and the only time I even use hairspray/styling products is if I'm getting my hair professionally done.  All I own is shampoo and conditioner (and combs/brush/hair ties/clips)...and a hair dryer.  I've bought hair "CC Cream" before, but I don't end up using it...

57 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Is anyone here a "wash and go" type person?

Me. At the moment, I pretty much only use shampoo and conditioner. I've used styling products in the past, never more than two, and never anything that takes more than five minutes, but I don't really need anything for my hair to look good with my current style. I don't blow-dry my hair and never have (it's fine/thin, so it doesn't take long to dry naturally and heat isn't its friend).

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

sometimes it's better to splurge money on what works for you vs spend less a bunch  of times on stuff that don't. You actually can end up saving money and certainly time, weird as it seems. I went through that spiel with foundations and mascaras. 

Amen to that. I have spent a small fortune on hair products in the past few years to aid my hair in its recovery and NOTHING had worked. I only wished I'd found the Alterna Caviar line sooner. Aveda, Oribe, Redken...zero results. Bummed to hear that Nordstrom had an Anniverary Sale deal on it!! I hit the sale during the pre-sale before I had even tried the product. ?