Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: Mr. & Mrs. Castle

WendyCR72

I'm already afraid of next year. It's probably Castle's time to get thrown under the bus with his mythology crap and how it will fit into the LokShit story. We afterall need a new obsticle to keep Kate and Rick or rather S&N apart.

The preview viewers raised my hopes too much. My expectations were too high, so the ep didn't meet them. Of course, without the screeners' reports, I probably wouldn't have watched at all. As already stated by others, the resolution of the breakup went too fast. By rights the fight should have been a cliff-hanger at about episode 3, with resolution in x4. But alas, they had to drag things out and then cram it all into the last 20 minutes of x8. No doubt, it was to avert ratings disaster in February, but it was terrible design. Once again the showrunners can't be trusted to hit the right notes or even justify dragging us through this cess pool.

People have already covered the high points, but I'll add that Vikram is clearly involved in Loksat. He unloaded his gun clip into that drug cartel suspect -- and only human lead -- far too fast. Obviously, the suspect would have given Vikram away. 

I am thrilled that Castle doesn't come back until February 1 (not Jan 4 anymore), because it will give me loads of time to get out of the habit of following it on social media and here.  Honestly, I don't know what these writers are thinking anymore. It's so sad! Castle is somebody else's show, not mine.

Edited by TWP
  • Love 2

Okay-- I admit that I was into some very nice Chilean merlot but:

The victim was killed because she was an undercover environmentalist who was investigating cruise ships dumping garbage?

But the cruise ship was actually dealing with their garbage properly?

And there were some people who on the side were smuggling heroin but that had nothing to do with the garbage?

So who shot her?

And how much experience does a cruise ship entertainer need in order to get  hired? Because I play a mean kazoo.

• Love 3

The victim was killed because she was an undercover environmentalist who was investigating cruise ships dumping garbage?

But the cruise ship was actually dealing with their garbage properly?

And there were some people who on the side were smuggling heroin but that had nothing to do with the garbage?

So who shot her?

And how much experience does a cruise ship entertainer need in order to get  hired? Because I play a mean kazoo.

And that chick knew how to pack up the heroin and swallow it ---- kudos for that. She was some experct on that one.

• Love 3

Ive had time to digest, watch the 2 scenes again and really havent changed my view. The precinct exchange had promise. I thought NF did a good job at quiet restraint, but couldnt get a read on SK. Maybe that was done on purpose. I liked what he said to her, all true. Of course, we get nothing back

The exchange at the loft was even worse on 2nd viewing. Worst scene i think these two have ever shared. The dialogue was laughable. His 'ok' must have been a joke, right? And then lets jump in bed? These showrunners truly havent a clue.

• Love 1

Ive had time to digest, watch the 2 scenes again and really havent changed my view. The precinct exchange had promise. I thought NF did a good job at quiet restraint, but couldnt get a read on SK. Maybe that was done on purpose. I liked what he said to her, all true. Of course, we get nothing back

The exchange at the loft was even worse on 2nd viewing. Worst scene i think these two have ever shared. The dialogue was laughable. His 'ok' must have been a joke, right? And then lets jump in bed? These showrunners truly havent a clue.

NF was great in the first scene, was it just me or did it feel weird that Beckett almost smiled??? when he said "only you can Kate". I swear she was smiling, am I getting that wrong? What was she trying to show there?

The 2nd scene was just awful, it started with the Lucy and Castle exchange where the showrunners/writer was telling the audience WHY Castle was taking her back. It was pretty insulting and not natural at all.

As for when Beckett entered....the dialogue was awful, the emotion behind what was said was "off". Beckett's "you were right" was said as if there was a new case lead, not as if they just had an argument.

The exchange where they finished each other sentence, that went "I thought that you would [insert awkward pause] ...just take you back, in spite of what you put me through?" wasn't natural, almost like they didn't film the scene together. The tone of what they said wasn't the right emotion, the pause inbetween was too long also.

Beckett's look down at the floor and saying 'look Castle..I am sorry, I hate that I hurt you' was completely flat and lacked proper contrition.

After that the scene picked up a bit until Castle's "Ok." at the end which was stupid, the kiss was terrible, the whole 'punish' banter didn't fit the scene or what their mood should have been. Oh yeah, and shut up Lucy.

I agree with you CastleSeason8, it's honestly one of the worst scenes between them that I can remember. It was a big emotional moment, and the entire scene fell completely flat. It was almost as insulting as the green screen that ruined their wedding. That's how bad I think the closing scene was.

• Love 3

Oy. 

::shakes head::

Perhaps all Castle needed was to get laid before his brain fog wore off and he finally put together the pieces of what Beckett was doing with Vikram. 

• Love 2

I guess they just play the sex card from now on. They even put some of it into the promo and the castle fandom goes *swoon*. I already read a lot of comments that people are just glad this crap is over and we finally go back to sexy times. Sneaking around equals hot and steamy scenes I think. I'll let a friend tell me if I should keep watching or just come here and your posts and decide.

Chado: NF was great in the first scene, was it just me or did it feel weird that Beckett almost smiled??? when he said "only you can Kate". I swear she was smiling, am I getting that wrong? What was she trying to show there?

Nope definitely not alone on that one. I was thinking: Is she smiling ? What the frack is she smiling about ?

I just feel sad.   This was once the show I loved - they had a chance to get it back on track and... THAT??  I'm no fan of Stana Katic but she's phoning it in - I don't blame her at this point.  NF is trying to hold the entire mess together, it shows at times,  The script - what can any actor/actress do with it?    Just sad about the whole mess.  A local affiliate ran a re-run of the Mars episode last week - the days.  It is gold compared to these episodes.  Just proved - writers can make terrible producers.  Just end it - please.

• Love 2

The thing I found absolutely bewildering about this episode is how much of a disconnected mosaic it was, as if it had been assembled from cut scenes from a bunch of different scripts. Humor and LokSat just don't mix, nor do the emotional arcs that should be happening and a rushed (and tonally weird) conclusion.

I also realized that for me, LokSat is deadly boring, even for a single episode, let alone a season-long motif, especially since progress is evidenced by Vikram reporting on a phone call, and Vikram as a character I find both annoying and charmless. At least the new character Caleb seems to have a point in the dismalness.

I do admit to getting a kick out of Hayley deploying a barrage of cat videos as a weapon in a cat war.

It seems strange to be looking forward to the break from the frustration that is Castle when I've previously found myself champing at the bit to get hiatus over.

• Love 3

I guess they just play the sex card from now on. They even put some of it into the promo and the castle fandom goes *swoon*. I already read a lot of comments that people are just glad this crap is over and we finally go back to sexy times. Sneaking around equals hot and steamy scenes I think. I'll let a friend tell me if I should keep watching or just come here and your posts and decide.

Nope definitely not alone on that one. I was thinking: Is she smiling ? What the frack is she smiling about ?

I thought that smile-like moment was her realizing Castle had a point and be surprised she had been doing that.

I didn't mind the "OK" in the final conversation. My interpretation was that he was always planning to take her back, no questions asked, absolute forgiveness. She didn't have to make it up to him or change or atone for her behaviour -- she just had to fess up, be honest with him, let him be with her. And he will be with her, always. Sure he's upset that she pushed him out, but even so, all he wants is to have her back and to be open with him.

So his whole "did you really think it would be that easy" wasn't truly sincere -- he's sort of playing with her, sort of showing just how much it did hurt him (even though he will still forgive her completely).  Of course many people will argue that he should not forgive her that easily. But I think that's what was intended there. She screwed up, she fessed up, he's good with that, because he knows she's broken and he loves her unconditionally anyway.  So I think the 'okay' was supposed to be the moment where he dropped the facade of righteous anger.

That being said, the whole scene was indeed clunky, poorly written, and poorly acted. This interpretation of mine would have been more clear if he'd said "okay" like that, then she was surprised and taken aback. "Okay? Just like that, you're okay now?" "Of course I am, Kate. Of course I was going to take you back. All I want is for you to be honest with me. I love you and I'll always forgive you. I'm just happy you've come back and told me what's going on. Please just don't shut me out again."

Without something like that, it's just jarring and weird. So this version of the conversation is my head canon.

ETA: It's realistic to me because I've experienced it. In the heady world of teenage romance, I once broke up with my boyfriend because I thought I might like another guy. Over the next several days, I just missed him SO MUCH that I realized I'd made a huge mistake. So I grabbed a chance to talk with him at lunchtime. I told him that I screwed up, that I was so sorry, that I missed him, that I loved him (first time with the ILY) and would he ever possibly be able to consider taking me back. I was terrified that I'd ruined everything, hurt him too much, that he wouldn't risk it. But as soon as I finished asking if he'd consider taking me back, he just said "Yes!" and we kissed (he tasted like peanut butter) and that was that. Love does sometimes mean immediate forgiveness, because despite the hurt, you're really just relieved that they're back.

Edited by tankgirl73
  • Love 1

It annoyed me that they talked about Vikram's text "interrupting" their anniversary.  Beckett was already getting dressed and on her way out the door when the text came in. How hard is continuity with something from a week ago?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one to notice that. And another thing, wasn't it light outside when Beckett left? Remember the light shining through her limbs as she lay shagged out on the bed? Or was that just the one properly-working lamp in the loft...?

This episode easily had the worst dialogue I have heard since I started watching the show. Every word out of Perlmutter's mouth was a cliche and that was probably the least of the atrocities. That last scene was a mess of what-the-f*ckery. As has been mentioned, Castle went from not being happy to take her back to taking her back in less than a minute. He went from encouraging her to get her obsession under control to participating in her obsession in about a day. So is her obsession a problem, or not? He seemed as upset that she didn't have "faith" in his ability to help her obsess as he was by her lying! Dude, this is your chance to tell her that wanting back in means giving up the effing chase. But, I suppose... plot. 

And earlier, Beckett kept vacillating between wanting to save her marriage and... well... listening to Vikram who is clearly intent on sabotaging it. And I'd say I'm curious about his motivation, but not enough to have him on my screen ever again. He can just go. 

And somehow Loksat has gone from omnipotent and omnipresent to "can't follow Beckett out of the precinct to see where she goes". Not to mention, Castle hires someone to hack Vikram and determine his location, but Locksat can't? As a supervillain, they seriously suck and can also just go away. 

Fortunately, since amnesia is as common as muck on this show, maybe nobody will remember that either Locksat or Vikram existed by the time February rolls around. This "story arc" has seriously been the most misguided plot line ever aired on this show. And the competition for that title was robust. Season of Sekrits, I'm looking at you. With special shout-out to Beckett's Vegas Wedding Adventure and Disappearing Amnesiac Bridegroom. The sort of story line so pathetic that you don't even care if the characters learned any lessons, as long as we never hear about that plot atrocity again. Ever.

• Love 3

I agree with you CastleSeason8, it's honestly one of the worst scenes between them that I can remember. It was a big emotional moment, and the entire scene fell completely flat. It was almost as insulting as the green screen that ruined their wedding. That's how bad I think the closing scene was.

That was the worst conflict resolution I can remember seeing for some considerable time. You broke the various components of that scene down very well and what was wrong with them, I can't decide who came off worse, may be Stana, it's like her mind was occupied on something else, she didn't feel emotionally *there* to me. I don't know how much time or clout the directors on these type of shows have with the main stars but if I'd been behind the camera I'd have said "hey do you mind if we try this again guys?" they can't change the writing but they could have upped the emotional punch in places and evened out the line delivery. 

So Kate had done a 180 and decided that Castle is no longer a liability to her investigating Locksat conveniently forgetting she's let him in before under just as dangerous circumstances, Castle is now satisfied he's in the loop and forgives her content to help her pursue the case but talk about underwhelming. They've spent two months on this story and I'm meant to be satisfied with an "okay" and lets get laid. I had to keep reminding myself they were dealing with their relationship which had been in upheaval for ages. Yet they played it as if it was just another minor blip in their day that needed to be resolved before bedtime, nothing felt earned here between the characters unlike in Always after the build up of relationship drama there, this was far too glib and easy. 

For two supposedly smart people this separation made them look really, really dumb plus there was so much waste of good storytelling that they could have had and instead they chose to fritter it away on this pointless drama. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I went on a cruise last year (Alaska -- BEAUTIFUL) and the answer is, your kazoo might sell.  Cruises typically hire one or two good acts and a bunch less so...unless it's a music-themed cruise, which they do sometimes, and then the acts are HUGE!

Yes, I'm with those who loved the cat videos.  They were the only thing I laughed extensively about.

Also, leave Lucy ALOOOOONE ;-).  She is my favorite character.  Where can I buy a device that can give me relationship advice?  Might be expensive but would save many dollars from my alcohol bill alone ;-) <kidding, I rarely drink>.  Yet another showrunner contrivance, but a cute one at least. 

This show has become like the long death watch for a friend. The person/show I knew is no longer there but it's hard not to keep coming back to honor what used to be. You only go through this with people/shows you really loved. I find, however, I am beginning not to remember what it was that I loved.

This episode was poorly written, directed and acted almost all the way through. The interactions between Vikram/Beckett, Castle/Beckett, Mama/Castle were poorly conceived, badly written, badly acted. There was no life and no truth for the character in them. Only a couple of exceptions - the confrontation and Castle with the show girls - in these I think Fillion was good.

I don't know how much longer I can watch. But I feel guilty leaving the once loved show to die alone.

• Love 6

Maybe they didn't rewrite anything but it sure came across like they did. Either way--it has to be one of the worse episodes ever.  Given the serious nature of the topic of the separation and the reasons for it.

None of it matters to me anymore--im done. Unless I read here something good I am going back to reading first and watching second depending on what I read. Joy did the best review of this episode--one of her all time best imo.

Happy Thanksgiving

It was a big emotional moment, and the entire scene fell completely flat.

The emotion in that scene was appropriate to the emotion displayed DURING the time out.  No harm no foul.

His 'ok' must have been a joke, right? And then lets jump in bed? These showrunners truly havent a clue.

After Kate said what she wanted to say to him all she had to do was pull out a Lucy like toy and all would have been forgotten, except she wouldn't have gotten any bedroom time because he would be too busy playing with his new toy.

I don't agree with TVOvermind Joy's notion that Beckett's obsession is out of left field at all.  Prior to meeting Castle, she let her mother's murder go -- but only after a year of therapy (wish I could give you a link, just watched on YouTube a few days ago).   IMO Beckett has been written as an addict. I think she even admitted herself that she was.  For an addict, one trigger is enough to take them back to their addiction full-time.  8x1 was the trigger.

Beckett also has a constant underlying concern that her life won't be dramatic enough and she worries that marriage will be boring.  See the dinner she had with her friend where she then started wondering if her marriage would be be boring.  See Squab and Quail.  See her going off to be an FBI agent without informing Castle.

I think the current permutation is really in character.  I also think it's fully in character for Castle to be one of those people who is attracted to addicts.  I also don't think portraying them the way they have is sexist, just the opposite.  I think they've really flipped the characters around.  The guy is usually the addict, the girl, the one who hangs on.  Beckett, rather than Castle, is also the bad-ass, which is another way they've flipped the characters around.

The only problem with all of this is the extreme repetitiveness of it isn't good TV, for me at least.

IMHO and YMMV to all of this.  Venting here, because Joy moderates her posts.  I never remember to go back and see if I got through ;-).

Edited by TWP
  • Love 2

The preview viewers raised my hopes too much. My expectations were too high, so the ep didn't meet them. Of course, without the screeners' reports, I probably wouldn't have watched at all. As already stated by others, the resolution of the breakup went too fast. By rights the fight should have been a cliff-hanger at about episode 3, with resolution in x4. But alas, they had to drag things out and then cram it all into the last 20 minutes of x8. No doubt, it was to avert ratings disaster in February, but it was terrible design. Once again the showrunners can't be trusted to hit the right notes or even justify dragging us through this cess pool.

People have already covered the high points, but I'll add that Vikram is clearly involved in Loksat. He unloaded his gun clip into that drug cartel suspect -- and only human lead -- far too fast. Obviously, the suspect would have given Vikram away. 

I am thrilled that Castle doesn't come back until February 1 (not Jan 4 anymore), because it will give me loads of time to get out of the habit of following it on social media and here.  Honestly, I don't know what these writers are thinking anymore. It's so sad! Castle is somebody else's show, not mine.

Need a point of clarification, I thought it was Espo and Ryan with Beckett when the Cartel member was shot, and I am not going back to watch it again, just wondering was I also on the Wine??  Found it odd that we did not hear KB go off on Vikram about the Text, It's my life, you don't get to choose, comes to mind , but No just give the Douche Bag a free pass to F with your marriage and belittle your husband, really true to the character we have come to love (Hate) this year

• Love 1

I have never thought much of SK as an actress but I do agree with person above who said she really seems to be phoning it in. Just flat as week old champagne.

They should put this poor thing to rest.

Honestly, some writers must think that just because a silly amount of money is thrown their way, that their work actually justifies it. I would pay $1.00 for the crap they have been churning out for quite awhile now.

Just awful. And poor NF always now looking like a buffoon. That dance scene was hideous. Smart, suave and witty is long gone.

• Love 2

Beckett also has a constant underlying concern that her life won't be dramatic enough and she worries that marriage will be boring. See the dinner she had with her friend where she then started wondering if her marriage would be be boring. See Squab and Quail. See her going off to be an FBI agent without informing Castle.

She was worried that Castle would get bored with her. That's different than thinking marriage would be boring. I just don't see her as having any kind of concern about drama in her life, in any of those examples or elsewhere. I think she's ambitious with her career, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I do think they've been portraying her as an addict with her moms case. But not every addiction is about drama.

IMO Beckett has been written as an addict. I think she even admitted herself that she was.  For an addict, one trigger is enough to take them back to their addiction full-time.  8x1 was the trigger.

Beckett also has a constant underlying concern that her life won't be dramatic enough and she worries that marriage will be boring.  See the dinner she had with her friend where she then started wondering if her marriage would be be boring.  See Squab and Quail.  See her going off to be an FBI agent without informing Castle.

I think the current permutation is really in character.  I also think it's fully in character for Castle to be one of those people who is attracted to addicts.  I also don't think portraying them the way they have is sexist, just the opposite.  I think they've really flipped the characters around.  The guy is usually the addict, the girl, the one who hangs on.  Beckett, rather than Castle, is also the bad-ass, which is another way they've flipped the characters around.

Agree.

Just awful. And poor NF always now looking like a buffoon. That dance scene was hideous. Smart, suave and witty is long gone.

Poor? I think he feels the buffoon behavior and gross humor is funny.

As far as phoning in a performance, didn't see that from Stana Katic, however, I have noticed plenty of that from Nathan Fillion over the years.  Although with him I think it's a combination at times of phoning it in and a weakness in his acting.

Edited by Thak
  • Love 1

See her going off to be an FBI agent without informing Castle.

That's hardly a fair characterization of what happened.

She got an offer to join an elite team reporting directly to the US Attorney General and booked an interview without discussing it with Castle first. I was among those who didn't see that she should be hanged for it. She had the right to ask questions and make up her mind whether it was something she even wanted to pursue before talking it through with Castle. I might not have made that same choice, but I thought the bigger issue was that she seemed to be hiding it rather than it being something that never came up. Nevertheless, that hardly indicates addictive behavior or an addiction to drama. It was an interview.

She absolutely has no perspective about her mother's case, but she used to be written as a character with the self-awareness to realize that and treat it like an addiction.

• Love 3

Well, I would have been hard pressed to dislike that any more than I did. Just terrible. I agree with those who found the acting and writing in the last scene, in particular, incomprehensibly bad. I normally love Stana Katic and I think she's always done a great job as Beckett, but I thought her performance here ranged from 'flat' to 'phoning it in' to 'not one fuck to give.' All season it's felt like the writers have no sense of appropriate tone -- 'humor' (such as it is from them) or innuendo is infused at the wrong time and the only amusement seems to be of the frat-boy/locker-room style (ha ha, it's a strip club).

As much as I wanted this break-up nonsense to be over, I didn't want that. FEH.

I also find that little things bug me even more when the rest of the show/premise/acting/etc. is already working my last nerve -- like, why on earth wouldn't Castle, whose mother is a Broadway actress and grew up around the theater, not understand a basic stage direction? Oh right, bumbly!Castle is fun. *sigh*

• Love 5

Too busy to review last weeks episode which I thought was okay-ish. But this week’s? Poor writing, poor acting and poor direction in some parts.

The ending was so stupid, within 10 seconds Castle went from angry to okay let’s have sex.

Vikram - the actor is bad enough but the character is just all kinds of shady.

There is not really much more I can say except echo many people’s thoughts here. This storyline has more holes in than sieve as we’ve discussed many times and it’s like the writers are ten steps behind the fans reasonable theories/story set ups.

Edited by Brit Babe
  • Love 2

I don't agree with TVOvermind Joy's notion that Beckett's obsession is out of left field at all.  Prior to meeting Castle, she let her mother's murder go -- but only after a year of therapy (wish I could give you a link, just watched on YouTube a few days ago).   IMO Beckett has been written as an addict. I think she even admitted herself that she was.  For an addict, one trigger is enough to take them back to their addiction full-time.  8x1 was the trigger.

I have to side with Joy on this one, I never thought watching early season Beckett that she had some all consuming condition that can never be cured. They seem to be re-writing Beckett's history to me like everything else, she has a lot of "tissues and issues" as I like to call them and it's true she became obsessed with her mother's case over time which is understandable, that also led to her wanting justice for victims generally as a good cop but she understood she had a problem and dealt with it as best she could be keeping away from it until Castle came along and rattled the cage. I'm not denying that she's being written like an addict with this Locksat business but that's all Hawley's doing and his fixation with wanting to put is own stamp on things, so now he talks of Beckett having an "obsession-based personality" and having to make peace with herself, she already had as far as I'm concerned and moved on with her life - I wish Hawley would do the same and leave Beckett alone, he's caused enough damage already. 

Edited by verdana
  • Love 3

Castle: Mr. and Mrs. Castle – A Good Cop/Bad Cop Review by Lee Lofland

Now, back to captain of the cruise ship refusing to stop the vessel, citing that the Coast Guard was too far away to intercede. Well, for starters, Coast Guard boats constantly patrol and monitor the waters around New York City (remember terrorism?). And, the NYPD has its own fleet and officers who patrol the waters—N.Y.P.D. Harbor Patrol. Believe me, police boats would be nearby and they’d have no problem stopping a cruise ship, especially one that was a floating murder scene.

I love Lee for giving out this kind of information because the idea they wouldn't stop the vessel seemed odd to me. 

And, why is Vikram allowed free access to the NYPD? This guy is annoying. He has no real connection to either character—Beckett or Castle—, yet he’s over-the-top concerned for Castle? From the beginning, I have not liked how he’s been forced on us. The same goes for Hayley. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE?

I presumed Vikram is officially working for the NYPD? 

At least Castle and Beckett made kissy-face at the end, and hopefully we’ve seen the last of Beckett’s tiresome nonsense for a while. However, I now expect there’s a lot of over the top, save the world darkness in store for us in upcoming episodes. I hope I’m wrong and the writers will somehow return to the fun side of the show. But I doubt it. They seem to be writing for themselves and not the fans. And that’s truly unfortunate. I picture them huddled around a clunky old computer in their mom’s basement, giggling and punching one another on the arm as they type out these wacky scenes. At least Castle and Beckett are back together, for now, and that’s a start. But will it last?

I predict "delightful fun" to come reading recent interviews but I'm sure we'll be going darker when the Castle mythology rears it's ugly head about mid season. 

• Love 1

Before we get the pitchforks out and run after Beckett the b*#ch, let's not forget that Castle left her ON THEIR WEDDING DAY. With ZERO explaination. He was gone for months, during which, she searched high and low for him and never gave up. When he returned, she forgave him even though he couldn't explain himself.

Beckett TOLD him she was leaving, asked him to forgive her in advance, asked him to trust her, and maintained contact with him throughout their separation. In the end, Beckett did it to keep him safe.

Castle left her at the alter, made no attempt to contact her and allviate her worry, left her to search frantically for months, then came back with no explaination...oh, then we find out he left by choice, to save the world...even if it meant heartache for her.

Who's worse?

Edited by Blackrock1
  • Love 1

I have to side with Joy on this one, I never thought watching early season Beckett that she had some all consuming condition that can never be cured

That's what addiction is.  It can be managed, never cured.  It took her a year of therapy for Beckett to get through it, one time.  She said herself it was an addiction and that if Castle triggered it again for her, she would be in trouble.   I wish I could find the scene.   I thought it was in 2x1, but it's not.  She then went completely off the rails and almost died because of it.

Here's a scribe of the script someone made. She's a self-admitted addict, has been all along.  I don't know which episode it's from, but it's Season 1 or 2:

Richard Castle: [about Beckett's mother's murder] Why don't you want to investigate it?

Kate Beckett: Same reason a recovering alcoholic doesn't drink. You don't think I haven't been down there? You don't think I haven't memorized every line in that file? My first three years on the force, every off-duty moment was spent looking for something someone missed. It took me a year of therapy to realize if I didn't let it go, it was gonna destroy me. And so I let it go.

Richard Castle: Sorry. I didn't know.

Kate Beckett: Yeah, well, now you do.

Maybe we all should do a binge-watch of the first 3 seasons over the holidays....might help in understanding where this is going.

Edited by TWP

Before we get the pitchforks out and run after Beckett the b*#ch, let's not forget that Castle left her ON THEIR WEDDING DAY. With ZERO explaination. He was gone for months, during which, she searched high and low for him and never gave up. When he returned, she forgave him even though he couldn't explain himself.

Beckett TOLD him she was leaving, asked him to forgive her in advance, asked him to trust her, and maintained contact with him throughout their separation. In the end, Beckett did it to keep him safe.

Castle left her at the alter, made no attempt to contact her and allviate her worry, left her to search frantically for months, then came back with no explaination...oh, then we find out he left by choice, to save the world...even if it meant heartache for her.

Who's worse?

They both suck. At different points. And people bitched about Castle then. Nature of the show beast. Now it's Beckett's turn at bat.

This, too, shall pass.

Either way, let's just focus on the current episode as I have no desire to referee any C/B wars today.

• Love 1

They both suck. At different points. And people bitched about Castle then. Nature of the show beast. Now it's Beckett's turn at bat.

This, too, shall pass.

Either way, let's just focus on the current episode as I have no desire to referee any C/B wars today.

Like a kidney stone. Going by what the writers have done so far.

Didn't really find anything redeeming in last nights ep. Aside from Castle's speech.

• Love 1

I don't know what the coverage was in the US, but in Canada they hyped the heck out of the fact that Castle and Beckett would be back together. I tend to skip commercial breaks, but was having an on-demand mini-marathon of "Code Black" to check it out and I cannot tell you the number of times I saw that "shut up and kiss me" clip. The network knows that there is an issue with the show and they are going all out to assure viewers that Beckett and Castle are still a team. May be too late for a lot of people, though.

Found it odd that we did not hear KB go off on Vikram about the Text, It's my life, you don't get to choose, comes to mind , but No just give the Douche Bag a free pass to F with your marriage and belittle your husband, really true to the character we have come to love (Hate) this year

This is something I found puzzling about the Beckett/Vickram exchanges as well, especially since she's his superior (at least at the 12th). Woman definitely needs to get her alpha mojo working to tell him to keep out of her relationship.

I noticed that Kate was wearing a gold bracelet in this episode. Could anyone tell if it was the one Castle gave her at the beginning of the season? 

I presumed Vikram is officially working for the NYPD? 

Yes, Beckett said she was giving him a real job with the NYPD back in PhDead.  He also seems to be doing all the work with this LokSat thing. 

I don't know what the coverage was in the US, but in Canada they hyped the heck out of the fact that Castle and Beckett would be back together. I tend to skip commercial breaks, but was having an on-demand mini-marathon of "Code Black" to check it out and I cannot tell you the number of times I saw that "shut up and kiss me" clip.

They never air promos for Castle anymore at all in the US.

This is something I found puzzling about the Beckett/Vickram exchanges as well, especially since she's his superior (at least at the 12th). Woman definitely needs to get her alpha mojo working to tell him to keep out of her relationship.

I seriously don't get this.  I think Vikram has been the first character to actually discourage Castle/Beckett from being with each other. Usually they get interrupted by clueless people not manipulative ones. And sending that text was pretty manipulative. Beckett was the one who decided she needed to protect Castle, so she should get to decide to change her mind on that.

Vikram keeps throwing up little tidbits to Beckett every time she doubts the wat she's handling her relationship with Castle. But never enough.

You wanna bet, he's the one who made the call to clear out the warehouse?

I'll bet Locksat sent Vikram on keep Beckett in check.

Hayley may not be the most exciting character, but she's got moxie and she's smart. Give me her any day over Vikram.

NF did a great job in that second to last scene. But, oy! It can't be said enough how bad that last one was.

And where was my Permutter/Castle snarkiness? I love Sidney's quips to Castle.

Isaac Stern, the bartender? Could you hit us over the head with a hammer. Was the cruise director Beckett was talking to at first named Judy? Was the captain named Capt. Stubbing?

And did anyone catch the horrible graphics with the boat's ring dancing all over the place?

I want to add that I actually am liking Hayley more and more, since she's become Castle's consultant, and they've abandoned her being some kind of guru to Alexis. She serves a purpose when she works for Castle, at least. He needs someone at the P.I. office to talk to, and I guess with Alexis just stopping in to say howdy, they've also cut back on her presence in the office.

The Hayley/Alexis stuff was a bit forced to me.  I remember the writers talking about how their scenes would be "magic" or something and I just don't see it. Alexis feels like a totally different person this season. And (shallow note) they seemed to have colored her hair, and it looks really artificial.

But I agree that Hayley works fine just with Castle or Beckett. I don't know if they really needed her, but I'm not against her.

I was thinking about something....in Castle's talk to Beckett he said he knew she wanted to be broken because it didn't occur to her to ask him to help with the case.  But isn't she supposed to be broken because she's obsessed with the case and can't stop? Regardless of whether she does it alone or not?  It kinda explains why he didn't ask her to give up the case when she showed up at the loft. It least in the sense that it's consistent with what he said earlier. Not that it's in anyway logical, because none of it is. But it's consistently illogical, so maybe that's something?

• Love 2

I prefer Hayley with Castle and I thought her helping made sense in this episode, they've now established that she's working with him full time rather than having her popping in, I can imagine her being a consultant to Castle but I cannot understand for the life of me why Hayley gets to tag around with Beckett, that feels incredibly contrived. I haven't enjoyed any of their moments together, her walking around the precinct like she's a cop, going to that spa on an undercover sting, being in on interviews and hanging around making remarks when Beckett is talking to her colleagues in what should be private meetings, everyone just accepting her presence doesn't ring to true to be me and I wish they'd stop doing that. 

Plus Castle really needs to know about Rita.

That bugs me, after all this she still hasn't had the decency to tell him that he has a stepmother. 

I noticed that Kate was wearing a gold bracelet in this episode. Could anyone tell if it was the one Castle gave her at the beginning of the season?

No I don't believe so, the bangle she had on was much thinner and more rounded I got a good look during the hacking scene with Vikram, if you then watch the XY clip when he gives it to her the difference seems clear. 

Is it just me or have they made Castle creepy with how much of his sex life he shares with his mother and daughter? Was he really telling them in the opening scene how great it was to get laid after so long? Ewe.

I thought that was icky too but this season they seem keen on having inappropriate sharing going on, they did the same with Alexis talking in front of her dad and the boys about 50 Shades etc which made me feel a bit squeamish. 

I guess they just play the sex card from now on. They even put some of it into the promo and the castle fandom goes *swoon*.

I get the idea Hawley thinks letting the characters enjoy sexytimes however brief will be the solution to any problem forget about whether the writing can hold up to any scrutiny or if the moment feels earned or even appropriate to the mood or situation, throw in a bedroom scene or the hint of "naked punishment" and some kissing and that will paper over the inherent weaknesses in the script and lack of substantial character development.  The fans have been starved of those kind of interactions so they'll leap on them like a pack of starving wild animals being thrown some meat, it's not something they're used to seeing. 

So, so true. I would much rather have some lovely, smart dialogue laced with some subtext and wit then this full on crass sex talk that went on. That is so not what they are all about, but as was mentioned, these clueless showrunners figure - throw fans a few sex scenes, phone sex and dirty talk and we will all tune in and be glued to our screens. Gosh - just NO CLUE!!

• Love 1

That bugs me, after all this she still hasn't had the decency to tell him that he has a stepmother. 

Hawley said she's going to be open and honest with him moving forward, so I assume she will be telling him, even if it happens off screen.