Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: In Conclusion, Thanksgiving

Stinger97
  • Start Topic

Beverly insists the entire family gather for the holiday, but tension builds when brother-in-law Marvin tricks Pop-Pop into thinking Thanksgiving was at his house. Meanwhile, Pops passes the torch to Barry and Erica to give the holiday toast, resulting in them trying to one-up each other.

Review: 

Judd Hirsch stepping in for Paul Sorvino? I like him a lot, but I'm not sure he's the best fit for a mean old grump. A lovable old grump, yep, but I don't get the idea Murray's father is supposed to be very lovable. 

Cats in the Cradle has been used so much in entertainment that I was ready to hate that plot, but damn if they didn't make it work. So much is made of relationship between Beverly and Adam, but I actually think I like the Murray/Adam relationship more. 

Marv was great, as always. This show does Thanksgiving episodes as well as anybody.

Oh and on a shallow note, wow did Erica look great in that Phillies uniform.

Edited by Slade347
  • Love 4

Fantastic! I think part of the reason the show felt so fresh is that we didn't have a Bev losing her Children to time plot that has been pretty prevalent so far. Even though it was a call back to the prior Thanksgiving episodes it stirred the pot really well as far as this season goes.

I would love if Murray's father is played by a different fantastic actor every time we see him.

• Love 1

Did your (asking posters who grew up in this era) basic middle class suburban moms swear like Bev in the eighties in front of the family? Especially asking about th F-Bomb. Obviously Adam Goldberg's did, but I know mine sure didn't nor did my friends' mom's or my aunts. In private directed at my dad, who knows...? ;)

Did your (asking posters who grew up in this era) basic middle class suburban moms swear like Bev in the eighties in front of the family? Especially asking about th F-Bomb. Obviously Adam Goldberg's did, but I know mine sure didn't nor did my friends' mom's or my aunts. In private directed at my dad, who knows...? ;)

Oh no, no, no…none that I knew, especially not my mom! 

• Love 2

Oh no, no, no…none that I knew, especially not my mom! 

Oh, my mom absolutely did. Not in front of her parents or my aunts/uncles/cousins, but in our little nuclear unit (dad, me, siblings), definitely. 

We live in the South, but she's originally from New Jersey, so maybe it's a Northeast thing?

• Love 2

I assume Murray''s father is suppose to be about 75, which means he would have been born about 1910.  Would a man that age be wearing briefs instead of boxers?  My father was born in 1910 and always wore boxers as did all the men in shows/movies set in the 30s-50s even into shows set in the 60s middle age/older men wore boxers, even Don Draper.

I assume Murray''s father is suppose to be about 75, which means he would have been born about 1910.  Would a man that age be wearing briefs instead of boxers?  My father was born in 1910 and always wore boxers as did all the men in shows/movies set in the 30s-50s even into shows set in the 60s middle age/older men wore boxers, even Don Draper.

I don't think it's unbelievable.  Those cheap multipacks of brief underwear, a la Hanes or Fruit of the Loom, came into their own in the 1970s. I can well imagine some skinflints switching over, simply because they were so cheap.

I have to confess I forget the whole context of this discussion. Refresh my memory--the relevant scene has disappeared a bit from my memory here.

• Love 1

I don't think it's unbelievable.  Those cheap multipacks of brief underwear, a la Hanes or Fruit of the Loom, came into their own in the 1970s. I can well imagine some skinflints switching over, simply because they were so cheap.

I have to confess I forget the whole context of this discussion. Refresh my memory--the relevant scene has disappeared a bit from my memory here.

When his dad came over for dinner he immediately dropped his pants like Murrary does.

Both of my grandfathers who were born in the 1910s wore briefs. My grandmother's did the shopping and I doubt ever asked their opinion about that or anything.

No clue about my grandfathers' underwear (thankfully), but my mother, while not on the level of my father in the swearing department, did swear enough that it didn't startle us or anything when she did it. She was from New York and we lived in Maryland, so again there's that northeast connection.

• Love 2

I'm from South Jersey and there was no language beyond damn or hell in my house or my friends' houses growing up. That's not to say it didn't exist but it wasn't my experience in the same area as the show.

Central Midwest here: No Mom cursing in public (wouldn't be polite), but piss her off at home and she'd make a Marine sound like Mary Poppins.

I watched the first two Thanksgiving episodes on Hulu today. Bev yells, "Happy BLEEEEEPing Thanksgiving" in each. I thought maybe they had video of the real Bev yelling it, but no such luck.

• Love 2

No clue about my grandfathers' underwear (thankfully) [snipe

Weirdly I can still remember my grandfather (born in 1890) in his light blue boxers. And it's not like he ever dropped his pants and walked around that I recall, I must have seem them on the occasions I slept over.

If my grandmother swore it would have been in Italian and I wouldn't have recognized it I guess, which would have then been the only way my mother would have learned to swear. But I really doubt it, it seems like one of those things they wouldn't have thought was ladylike or something back then. Definitely no F-bombs, even from my father that I recall.

Edited by mansonlamps