Type keyword(s) to search

DVDs: Reviews, Recommend or Pan

• Start Topic

Many times I wish I had been warned that a movie totally sucks. I know it's subjective, but certain things are almost universal. Other times I miss a good one because the title, the main star, or yes, even the DVD cover didn't appeal to me. Some can look like a dud and be great and vice versa. Then there are others that have great previews and then it turns out the previews were the only decent bit or the only good laughs or whatever the case may be.

Ok, I'll start.

Anchorman 2

...with Will Ferrell, who I generally love, and Christina Applegate who I also like.  It wasn't terrible or unwatchable, but it wasn't hilarious either, imo. Toward the end it sort of went off the rails.  

• Love 1

About Time- had wanted to see that movie since it came out but no one would go with me because the thought it was the same as the traveler's wife.  Recently I rented from Red Box and watched it before work.    It was such a nice movie with a lot of heart.  Actually got my parents to watch it & they loved it as well.  Dad usually only likes shot 'em up stuff.  He said he would have passed that by but was glad he watched especially for the father-son story :)

Secret Life of Walter Mitty.  Although I liked this movie not sure I would recommend it.  It starts off slow & is kind of quirky.  It's one of those movies you either love or hate.  The cinematography however is breathtaking.

I watched the remake of Red Dawn last night. I remember the 1980s version & had read pretty awful reviews about the new one. Surprisingly I didn't hate it. Granted I never learned character names, it was just Thor, Thor's brother, Peeta, younger chick, etc. so I wasn't overly invested. I also had to set aside my disbelief at North Korea being the big bad. Still for wanting to be entertained & not have to think deep thoughts it served it's purpose. If it hadn't been free (Amazon Prime) I probably would never have watched it, but for what I was looking for it served it purpose. I was expecting total crap & it wasn't total crap.

Not that I'm biased or anything, but The Last of the Mohicans, starring Daniel Day-Fucking-Lewis.

A modern day classic. Great movie; moves fast. Heart pumping action; drama...romance....

And well, the beauty and gorgeousness that is Daniel Day-Lewis, of course!

I watched the remake of Red Dawn last night. I remember the 1980s version & had read pretty awful reviews about the new one. Surprisingly I didn't hate it. Granted I never learned character names, it was just Thor, Thor's brother, Peeta, younger chick, etc. so I wasn't overly invested.

Ha! I may check it out - the "North Korea as the enemy" aspect put me off of it.  Glad to know I'm not the only one who sometimes does this - don't bother with character names, just go with what the actor/actress is most known for.  

I recently got The Spectacular Now from Netflix.  I had heard such great things about it, but after 30 minutes I was so bored I had to turn it off. The movie was only about an hour and a half, and if you can't get me hooked within 30 minutes, your movie has problems. I liked Miles Teller in the Footloose remake, but not sure I like him in this. Shailene Woodley was cute and charming and normally I find her annoying.

• Love 1

Death takes a Holiday (1971) Monte Markham, Yvette M------

Saw where I can get this on DVD-R.

Problem: Am I mis-remembering this movie as really wonderful--romantic, thought-provoking, gripping?

Sometimes, movies seem better in memory than in actuality--Will I say, Holy crap, I could have bought a lot of cat food instead of this?

Anybody remember this TV movie or have DVD? Loving it? Disappointed?

I've been wondering if anyone has purchased the new Middle Earth Ultimate Edition. The reviews indicate that it doesn't include the appendixes that the extended editions have always contained. However, the reviews were from before the release date. Has anyone gotten the ultimate edition? If so, can you confirm if the appendixes are missing? (I'm willing to get The Hobbit movies if it I get the appendixes for LOTR, but I'm not paying $240 unless the appendixes are included).

https://www.amazon.com/Middle-Ultimate-Collectors-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B09DTYBMRW/ref=sr_1_1?crid=30TAWQRSPWN9W&dchild=1&keywords=middle+earth+6-film+ultimate+collector's+edition&qid=1633484912&s=movies-tv&sprefix=middl%2Caps%2C184&sr=1-1