Type keyword(s) to search

S21.E12: Trios Night

• Start Topic

YES. Exactly. The waltz was much more in his wheelhouse than any fast song (which he just can't seem to keep up with), and it was a lovely dance, definitely one of his best, but no way was it an all 10's kind of dance. It was "nice," not "OH MY GOSH THAT WAS AMAZING I LOVED IT!"

Alek was the best solo dance of the night. Once they gave Bindi straight 9's, there was no room for the scores to breathe. I would not be opposed to the .5's coming out in the semi-finals and finals.

• Love 1

Carlos is such a butthead.

America the Beautiful - a little on the nose, Alek. Though i want him over Carlos.

I have to say, I am getting a little bored of Sharna throwing in boyband formation hip hop into every one of Nick's dances. I want to like him, in honor of 13 year old me, but it's not quite clicking for me. Though I'm glad that he executed it cleanly after the earlier screw up. I don't WANT him to do badly.

I have to hand it to Bindi, she seems so much more grown up than when she started, which is kind of fun to see.

I mean, I really do love her positivity and I think it's freakishly genuine, but even I will say that was over the top. Calm down, Bindi.

And then she does something like that, and I have to remember she's basically a super awkward homeschool kid at heart.

• Love 7

I don't think Bindi's votes would be sliding because fans don't want Derek to have another mirrorball.

I remember that same conversation coming up right before his wins with Kellie and Amber. Yes it would be his 6th win, but I view it more for the celeb than anything.

Why penalize a good celeb because of something regarding their pro?

Because that's the way the show rolls these days. The pro dancers have a lot of fans now, sometimes more than the celebs they're paired with. Plus, sometimes when a pro has been on the show a long time, and they're one you like, you're just rooting for them to win, especially cuz it often means more to them than the "star."

• Love 2

So Julianne thinks Bindi, who is 17 and has just made a wide eyed little girl comment about "raining happiness", needs to be more down and dirty? Oooookay. The irony is, despite the over the top Pollyanna routine, I see a maturity in Bindi compared to, say, Sadie. 

I liked Alek's waltz well enough. It was beautifully done and definitely played to his strengths. Like CAI (have I ever said that before?), I didn't get Carlos' dance. And I felt bad for Nick with the misstep. He seemed to go wrong right from the start and finally just had to stop and reset. 

I always love the Trio round. I enjoyed all of them for different reasons. Bindi's was definitely interesting and unique. I love AT, and Alek only needing to be the frame made it good enough for me. I was certainly glad to see Nick come back from his slip up.

Tom really did say one of Bindi or Nick was the bottom. That really surprises me. I hope it's because their fans have just gotten complacent and will jump back into action. 

• Love 4
Another problem is that when she does critique Bindi, it's on something so stupid like the "down and dirty" thing. How about her hips, Julianne?

But the down and dirty comment was in relation to Bindi's hips. They basically said she didn't have the sexy, grimy hip action that really goes with and sells the Salsa. That it was all cutesy and safe much like Bindi but that they wanted more which is why there was all the fuss about her giving some serious hip action for the Samba dance off. 

If Tom did indeed say Bindi or Nick had the lowest combined score and that wasn't just some bullshit to rally fans because they want those two in the end (which I still think might be the case), I think it was Nick who was going to be eliminated. I have observed a lot of comments around different boards and I just cannot believe that Bindi is not getting votes to the point that even with a perfect score last week, she would have had a lower combined score than Carlos and Alek. I don't buy it. I think they put her in jeopardy with Nick for the shock factor but I feel like if she wins it will be much like Rumer last season, who was also in jeopardy along with Nastia, when Nastia was eliminated. And then the next week Rumer won. 

I think there was a lot of hype and expectation for Nick coming in the season and many just took it as a foregone conclusion that he had this formidable fanbase and in some ways his win was a given. I don't think many expected the momentum and consistency Bindi has delivered this season. And we have seen with so many contestants with huge social media followings get eliminated which proves that a big fanbase doesn't always equal votes. And the fact is Nick's dancing has simply not been consistent.

Put it this way, I can absolutely believe Bindi has been picking up new fans and voters throughout the season. The ones who just watch the show and vote for who they like and think is sweet and great. The same people likely voting for someone like Alek. I'm not sure Nick is getting those voters, which means it's largely on the fanbase he came into the show with, to vote for him. And again we have to assume they are even committed in their voting. 

I don't know I could be wrong but I get the same vibe I got with Amber Riley with Bindi. Like Tristan said about Amber after the season, that she had the crowd from day one and she never didn't have them, I think that's Bindi. I feel like it would take something amazing next week from Nick or maybe Alek who likely has a lot of fans and maybe Bindi just falling apart in the finals, for her to not win this thing. Yes, even if that means Derek will be winning his 6th mirror ball trophy. 

• Love 5

But the down and dirty comment was in relation to Bindi's hips. They basically said she didn't have the sexy, grimy hip action that really goes with and sells the Salsa. That it was all cutesy and safe much like Bindi but that they wanted more which is why there was all the fuss about her giving some serious hip action for the Samba dance off.

If Tom did indeed say Bindi or Nick had the lowest combined score and that wasn't just some bullshit to rally fans because they want those two in the end, I think it was Nick. I have observed a lot of comments around different boards and I cannot believe that Bindi is not getting votes to the point that even with a perfect score last week, she would have been behind Carlos and Alek. I don't buy it. I think they put her in jeopardy with Nick for the shock factor but this win is like Rumer's last season, who was also in jeopardy along with Nastia, when Nastia was eliminated. And then the next week Rumer won.

I think there was a lot of hype and expectation with Nick coming in the season and maybe just took it as a foregone conclusion that he had this formidable fanbase. But all these people with huge social media followings have shown that have a big fanbase doesn't always equal votes and the fact is Nick's dancing has not been consistent. Put it this way, I can absolutely believe Bindi picking up new fans and voters throughout the season who just watch the show and vote for who they like and think is sweet and great. The same people likely voting for Alek. I'm not sure Nick is getting those voters and so it's solely on his fanbase he came in with. And again we have to assume they are committed in their voting.

That's how she said it though. She mentioned that it was a matter of preference. Bruno was the only one who specifically mentioned the hips. The thing is that with Len gone, there wasn't a judge who could actually give constructive critiques regarding technique, footwork, shoulders, etc. She needs to do that more. The last thing we need is another Carrie Ann.

Bindi is getting a lot of love on the internet, but I'm not sure if that's translating into votes. Nick had a following before social media and he doesn't have a huge amount of followers on Twitter and Instagram. I can see the argument both ways though for Bindi or Nick having the lowest combined total score. Like I mentioned in my original post, I'm more shocked its not Carlos or Alek.

Edited by SophiaPehawkins
  • Love 1

LOL!!

I did eyeroll at a lot of his interviews in tonight's show. Especially how he was all, "Now that my wife's no longer in the competition, I feel like I can just give it my all and win this thing."  Oh, please.

• Love 6

I like Nick as a person, as a dancer, and as a Backstreet Boy. But unfortunately I've found him rather bland this season. While his dances are often good, none of them stood out to me as a WOW moment, except maybe the nostalgia factor for Everybody. And of course, some of them weren't so great. He never really stood out as a personality, either. It doesn't help that his voice, which is so great for singing pop ballads, kind of puts you to sleep when talking. So while I'm voting for him and rooting for him, I can also see how maybe he isn't drawing as many votes as you might expect.

Edited by majormama
  • Love 2

Best dance of the night:  Val and Jenna

Next best dance for me was Carlos, Witney and Karina.  Really well danced with interesting and difficult choreography, with the star in full view.   IMO the best of the trios and should have had the highest score.  Good on Tom for asking Carrie Ann about her 9.  I know the judges don't actually choose how to score the dances themselves but it was still nice to see Tom bring that up. 

No way Alek was better than Carlos in that dance-off.  Just no.

Can all the family members please go away. 

I think it would have been Alek and Lindsay.

Loved loved loved Sharna and Nick's trio dance with Peta. Speaking of Peta, so glad she's back. I missed her and I was amused by Tom telling her to get a little spray tan on his suit, his way of asking for a hug.

Couldn't have been Alek & Lindsay. They were safe, along with Carlos & Witney. Nick & Sharna & Bindi & Derek were in jeopardy. It had to be either Nick/Sharna or Bindi/Derek.

I agree with whoever said Nick hasn't had a real standout moment.

Winners always tend to have standout moments and moments when you go, wow, there's the winner.

I feel like Between her opening Jive, her Contemporary for her dad, her switch up with Val, her Dirty Dancing tribute, the Grace Kelly Foxtrot, plus her recent Argentine Tango and Viennese Waltz, she's had plenty of routines that would be memorable even after the season ends. 

• Love 3
I hated Bindi's trio dance. Hated it. She's a very good dancer but that was too much stuff for her to deal with. The whole time with the box, I could see her thinking and she struggled with the light on a rope too. That was a big number that suited Derek, Mark and someone else, but that someone wasn't Bindi. That dance required intensity and some menace and Bindi does not do menace.

I did love the editor who showed the replay of Bindi messing up the rope catch and whacking herself in the face with that light just as Julianne was saying that every step was perfect. Someone up there is over Julianne.

I chuckled at that also. I too wasn't a big fan if her trio, thought that rope thing was kind of stupid. And I didn't think either Latin dance had hip action and were very stiff. I enjoyed Nick much more in their dance off.

I suspect there may have been some knollery to this evening's proceedings.

They certainly could have had an elimination and gone into the Finale with 3 teams remaining.  

Tom can't be believed when he tries to pass this off as just "ho hum, just another week when a contestant withdraws and so we do a non-elimination".  They altered the format of this week by adding the dance-off, which they couldn't have had if there still 5 teams, and which is one of the few gimmicks that introduces the chance for the Judges to add a bunch of points to a team.

And why the kabuki of "teams in jeopardy" or "you're safe" when this was "obviously" a non-elimination?  Are they trying to goose the votes of one of the "in jeopardy" teams?  Or are they trying to lull the voters of a "safe" team into complacency?

Carlos said something about the scores from one of the dances (trio, maybe?) counting toward the finale, or words to the effect that i took him to mean "counting towards who wins next week" rather than "counting towards who makes it to next week."

• Love 2

They certainly could have had an elimination and gone into the Finale with 3 teams remaining.

Tom can't be believed when he tries to pass this off as just "ho hum, just another week when a contestant withdraws and so we do a non-elimination". They altered the format of this week by adding the dance-off, which they couldn't have had if there still 5 teams, and which is one of the few gimmicks that introduces the chance for the Judges to add a bunch of points to a team.

And why the kabuki of "teams in jeopardy" or "you're safe" when this was "obviously" a non-elimination? Are they trying to goose the votes of one of the "in jeopardy" teams? Or are they trying to lull the voters of a "safe" team into complacency?

Carlos said something about the scores from one of the dances (trio, maybe?) counting toward the finale, or words to the effect that i took him to mean "counting towards who wins next week" rather than "counting towards who makes it to next week."

No matter what happened with Tamar, the scores from tonight were always going to determine who gets knocked out in the #4th spot next week. Today's elimination would have been for the #5 spot which was determined from the scores and votes last week. Carlos' comment was correct that the scores he receives this week determine next week's placement.

• Love 1

I have the probably 100 percent wrong interpretation that the "either Nick or Bindi has the lowest combination" meant between each other, not of the four total remaining dancers.

Erin asked Nick after he screwed up the first dance what was on his mind. I think it was watching that pretty sad intro package--dysfunctional family, childhood ending at 13 when he went into the band, thinking making money would solve his family problems, getting into alcohol and drugs at full speed, sister od'ing and several people commenting in the package that he blamed himself for it--sure, now that you've been reminded of these things, go out there right now and dance your breaking heart out!

I thought Bindi's trio was really clunky with the props. But I do like her. She probably didn't have time for a whole lot of dance lessons growing up so she is amazingly good. Alek likewise doesn't seem like someone who knew much dance, so props to him for that magical 30. I'm enjoying the season and anyone but Carlos will be okay by me.

• Love 4

Yes, I agree.  It did seem like Bindi's trio was 'clunky'.  It was too much.  Derek was trying too hard.  But I do have the feeling Bindi is going to win the whole thing.  The combination of her dancing skills and back story will probably give her the votes.

• Love 1

- Alek/Lindsay (Waltz): OK, so he gets yet another Ballroom dance, dances it to a patriotic national anthem and a package about how he saved people again? Yea, they weren’t trying AT ALL to sway votes towards him. Was it a good Waltz? Yes. Was it his best dance? Yes. Was it a perfect 30? No!

Small point: America the Beautiful isn't actually a US national anthem, as you said (though there have been unsuccessful attempts made to have it considered as such). It's just a "regular" patriotic song.

• Love 2

Small point: America the Beautiful isn't actually a US national anthem, as you said (though there have been unsuccessful attempts made to have it considered as such). It's just a "regular" patriotic song.

Even such, I found the song choice a little too "on the nose" and I saw it as a big sign that almost said "vote for Alek or else you hate America". I detest that type of voter manipulation, just like the Nick Carter baby shenanigans.

• Love 5

The pro dancers have a lot of fans now, sometimes more than the celebs they're paired with.

Yes, but this season has a new dimension (at least according to Shirley Ballas on Afterbuzz a few weeks ago).  Bindi has mountains of Aussies who are power voting for her every week without even seeing the show. Basically, she can't lose the audience vote. That's 51% of Derek's battle towards reclaiming the mirror ball. With sis on the judging panel - They basically can't lose.
  • Love 2

- Nick/Sharna (Salsa) w/Peta: Nice to see Peta back, a season long absence made me miss her when I otherwise don’t really care for her as a pro, but overall it was a flashy number, but light on the actual Salsa. Bindi’s had more recognizable Salsa. I laughed after when Sharna said in the package “this is a competitive Salsa” because that’s not really what came out afterward. It was a music video with a Salsa flare.

Like I said upthread, the song was from Empire. To me, the dance looked like Colombian street salsa, so I could see how on a ballroom show, it could seem light on salsa.

His Salsa seemed very "pop" dancing with a few Salsa basics through in there. I would've gone all 9's, but the show wanted to give him the "comeback" angle and also pimp spot scoring.

He got the pimp spot last week and tonight. He better not get it next week too.

• Love 1

-Val & Jenna number was awesome. I really love seeing 2 pros out there doing pure dance.  They killed it.

Agreed! This was one of the highlights of the night for me! So hot. Would've loved to see more pro/troupe dances tonight. They could've easily cut out the dance-off (although admittedly this dance-off was better than the one a couple of weeks ago).

It pains me to say it because he really bugs me, but I enjoyed Carlos' trio dance with Witney and Karina.

Ugh...I agree...I can't stand Carlos, but I loved that dance. I was even upset that Carrie Ann didn't give it a 10. (And also, as much as I adore Alek and dislike Carlos, he clearly won that dance-off...why did Carrie Ann vote for Alek?!?!) And then I felt gross for letting that upset me, because...

Tee hee...best comment ever!

Well, I haven't been consistent with my voting for Nick, to be honest. On top of that, his fans really don't like his wife, to the point that there are grown women sending her death threats, so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he isn't getting as many votes as one would think. I'd hope the more sane ones are voting for him, though. I guess there isn't a real great way of telling though.

Put it this way, I can absolutely believe Bindi has been picking up new fans and voters throughout the season. The ones who just watch the show and vote for who they like and think is sweet and great. The same people likely voting for someone like Alek. I'm not sure Nick is getting those voters, which means it's largely on the fanbase he came into the show with, to vote for him. And again we have to assume they are even committed in their voting

First of all, that bit about his wife is ridiculous. I'm a huge Nick/BSB fan, and I think his wife saved his life. He seems so healthy, happy, and great right now, and I would credit his wife for that. She seems like a lovely person. People need to grow the hell up. 

That being said, I also have not been consistent in my voting for Nick...and I think the reason is due to what truthaboutluv so eloquently stated in the post above. My votes have mostly been going to Alek. Because from week to week he has impressed me with his dancing, humility, personality, etc. Especially given he's never done anything like this before. And I'm sure this is happening for other people as well. I doubt Nick has really gained any fans/votes throughout the duration of the season. Unfortunately, his dancing has been so up and down, and he hasn't really WOWed. (I did throw him a couple of votes tonight because he was at the bottom of the leaderboard.)

Trio - Alek

I actually laughed (in a good way) at the end of this. I forget how young Alek really is and he's trying to hold it together with 2 hot gals, one being his lady crush.  I disagreed about losing steam at the end. I thought the 9s were low. I would have given a 10 or two.

I was surprised this didn't get at least one 10. I thought the choreography of Lindsay and Emma being two scorned lovers, and Alek playing them both was cleverm and this Argentine Tango was sexy. I didn't think it lost steam at then end either...also LOVED Alek and Lindsay's waltz. Gorgeous choreography, and the pre-dance package made me adore Alek all the more. 

ETA: Aaron Carter is looking rough...he looks older than Nick!

Edited by AdorkableSars
  • Love 3

Yes, but this season has a new dimension (at least according to Shirley Ballas on Afterbuzz a few weeks ago). Bindi has mountains of Aussies who are power voting for her every week without even seeing the show. Basically, she can't lose the audience vote. That's 51% of Derek's battle towards reclaiming the mirror ball. With sis on the judging panel - They basically can't lose.

Is she really popular in Australia? Also - and this might be a dumb question, but how do ppl. "power" vote for her if everyone only has five votes? Are there ways around that?

Edited by LotusFlower

I'm also sick and tired of Derek's hand choreography. It's old and played out. I get that it can be a part of Jazz, but I feel like this is the millionth time he's done it.

Thank you omg. I'm so sick of it. Like I said before I understand we (all 3 of them) can't dance with our legs and feet for reasons, but the arm dancing is actually going to be the death of me at this point.

• Love 3

Val and Jena's prolonged dance was marvelous!  I would totally be down for such a featured pro dance every week.  Magnificent.

Scoring had some absurdities as usual, but nothing matches the over-the-top reactions when Tom announced everyone was safe.  That may have been the phoniest moment in series' histoire.  

Bindi's first dance was worthy of a mirror ball champion.  Good for her.

I'm happy for Alek that his first dance was his best.  Great effort, well crafted and executed.  His trio would be perfect for one of America's most hallowed spaces - Statuary Hall in the Capitol.  What a joke.  

My favorite moment was after the Carlos trio and everyone was having fun with Karina, and she was a happy camper.  It was great to see her being made to stretch in a style unfamiliar to her.  She handled it with great aplomb and grace.  It's a kick to see someone who has been through, and seen, so much get to experience new things and be so ready to express joy and glee as she did.  

• Love 1

People talking about Witney's contemporary stealing the final move form Amy and Derek's contemporary, have you seen Fix You (2010) which has the exact same final move as Human (2014)?

End of Fix You (2010, bonus Allison):

giphy.gif

End of Human (2014):

giphy.gif

Or is that not the move you guys were talking about?

Unpopular opinion 1: I thought Nick absolutely sucked tonight. Obviously the 'pander to our heartstrings' first dance (or whatever the hell the actual category title was) had problems, but the trio was also, just, completely boring. A typical Zumba class has more complicated choreography. I kept waiting for something to happen and it never did.

Unpopular opinion 2: I'm concerned Sharna is in over her head. If this is the best choreography we can get out of her, they may as well have been eliminated before the finals. Pitting the finals as an epic Nick vs Bindi showdown seems almost laughable. At this point even Carlos seems orders of magnitude more evolved as a dancer.

• Love 2

And don't forget that there are five votes from every cell phone and landline.  People in Australia can have their friends and family in the US vote multiple times for them.

Are people really that invested in her? Is she a really big deal in Australia? I had no idea.

Bindi has mountains of Aussies who are power voting for her every week without even seeing the show. Basically, she can't lose the audience vote. 

Where has this been documented?  I recall reading that the Irwin's are not exactly popular in Australia due to some kind of issues with the zoo.

• Love 1

I've heard in a few places that Bindi's not super popular in Australia. I think she'll win, but I think she's doing it by winning over the general public vote. She reminds me of Sadie, except for that Nick is no Alphonso, and Sadie never could hear the beat of the song so I think Bindi's a better dancer, which will take her to the top instead of #2. My prediction, anyway.

• Love 1

The reception Val's and Jenna's dance has received here is just one indication of how much they need to go back to more Pro dances, and has someone as said a number of times, better ones [replace Mandy Moore]. Sometimes you don't know how much you love something until you don't have it.

Pro dances balanced out the lack of great dancing from so many celebs who can't dance at all. I enjoy watching people improve, the journey, etc. but I started watching the show because I love ballroom dancing. And even if it's not ballroom, can it at least be good? Every minute of Val's and Jenna's dance just felt so good.

I've heard two points of view about Bindi's popularity. Some say she's charmed the whole nation, others say they can't stand her there. It's probably somewhere in the middle.

• Love 3

I loved Val and Jenna's dance too, and it would be great to see more full-length pro dances instead of the tail-shaking Mandy Moore snippets we've been getting. For instance, I'd love to see a reprise of Tony's I Dream of Jeannie dance he did with Jenna, I think, when Kim couldn't be there. Something along those lines every week would be great.

• Love 6
Bindi has mountains of Aussies who are power voting for her every week without even seeing the show. Basically, she can't lose the audience vote.
Where has this been documented?  I recall reading that the Irwin's are not exactly popular in Australia due to some kind of issues with the zoo.

I  wish someone from Australia would weigh in because that's what I've heard too, that the family and the zoo aren't highly regarded in their own country. This isn't just recent, it goes way back.

Tom can't be believed when he tries to pass this off as just "ho hum, just another week when a contestant withdraws and so we do a non-elimination".  They altered the format of this week by adding the dance-off, which they couldn't have had if there still 5 teams, and which is one of the few gimmicks that introduces the chance for the Judges to add a bunch of points to a team.

By not letting anyone go, they are keeping on track with the show's schedule, because last week, 2 stars left. If someone was eliminated last night, they'd be ahead of schedule.

I love Alek, but the 3 other dancers are way ahead of him, as far as talent goes. He has done wonders, considering he is one of the few ever to not have had any entertainment experience or experience being in front of large crowds. 

I know nothing about proper dances moves and what is executed correctly (though I do know what a samba roll is now!), so I judge on what I think looks good and what entertains me.

I am in the minority, but last night, that was Carlos (and that's a first).

Though obviously executed very well, I didn't enjoy Bindi's trio dance.

Edited by nutty1
  • Love 2

Best dance of the night:  Val and Jenna

Yes, yes, yes. I could watch the two of them all night. Simply stunning and sexy. I've always been indifferent to Val, but last night....wow. Jenna is one of the best female pros (IMO), I wish they'd give her a more prominent role on this show. 

Speaking of Val, was that a picture of him hugging Tamar in the hospital bed? With an open shirt? Doesn't he ever get cold?

My next favorite dance of the night was Bindi's trio. I actually thought they should have done more with the box, but I loved the song (Resolve by Nathan Lanier). 

Unpopular opinion 2: I'm concerned Sharna is in over her head. If this is the best choreography we can get out of her, they may as well have been eliminated before the finals. Pitting the finals as an epic Nick vs Bindi showdown seems almost laughable. At this point even Carlos seems orders of magnitude more evolved as a dancer.

ETA: I agree with you. I used to like her choreography, but now I realize how one-note it is. She just goes back to the same moves over and over. Nick's trio dance last week reminded me of different pieces of Noah's dances from last season. 

Edited by mstar1125
  • Love 1
Yes, but this season has a new dimension (at least according to Shirley Ballas on Afterbuzz a few weeks ago).  Bindi has mountains of Aussies who are power voting for her every week without even seeing the show. Basically, she can't lose the audience vote.

As a person who has friends who have watched this show since the beginning like me and who were not in America, I can guarantee you international people have been voting for this show for a few years now. It's a little thing called Skype and Magic Jack. Also if you just use a U.S. address in creating an email account on ABC.com, you can vote there too. Hell my friend voted for Philip Phillips for American Idol some years ago, all while an entire ocean away and the girl who came second that season, Jessica Sanchez, had a lot of people from the Philippines, where her family is from, voting for her.

Unpopular opinion 1: I thought Nick absolutely sucked tonight. Obviously the 'pander to our heartstrings' first dance (or whatever the hell the actual category title was) had problems, but the trio was also, just, completely boring. A typical Zumba class has more complicated choreography. I kept waiting for something to happen and it never did.

I don't know if that's really unpopular, a little brutal maybe but not unpopular. Or maybe it's not popular to say it but I agree. I have said many times that I like Nick. I was a Backstreet fan, loved them way more than N'Sync (although I always called Justin Timberlake being the superstar of all these guys) and yes, Nick was my favorite. But I always felt some overestimated Nick's dance abilities coming into the season. And there was definitely this sense that he was going to be the biggest ringer of the season and just have the mirror ball in the bag and that just hasn't happened. 

And I feel like the show does want that Bindi and Nick showdown but Nick is not doing his part. Whatever the opinions about Bindi and well let's be honest, Derek, the fact is the girl has been consistent. Is she an amazing, perfect technical dancer, no. But she is very, very good in my opinion and she has always delivered. Her performances may not have always been amazing but they were always good in my opinion. That is not the case with Nick. You're right, at this point Carlos is showing more consistency heading to the end than him.

I've heard in a few places that Bindi's not super popular in Australia. I think she'll win, but I think she's doing it by winning over the general public vote. She reminds me of Sadie, except for that Nick is no Alphonso, and Sadie never could hear the beat of the song so I think Bindi's a better dancer, which will take her to the top instead of #2. My prediction, anyway.

It's a bit divisive with Bindi in Australia or so I've read and heard from my friend who pays way more attention to it than me. Obviously the Australian Zoo constantly promotes her and tells people to vote, etc. However apparently some are annoyed that she chose to do the American show instead of the Australian version. I guess they feel like it's almost as if she's saying their version isn't good enough. And this should make some very happy, there are some who upon realizing Julianne is Derek's sister, have gone on about that being unfair and Bindi having an unfair advantage. So whatever notion there is that the whole continent of Australia is in some concerted coordinated effort to give Bindi this win, is not true. 

I would never compare Bindi and Sadie - I guess maybe the adorable factor. But I have always been very honest about how overrated I thought Sadie was by some of her fans in her dancing and yes, the fact that she could not really hear and be on time with the music to save her life was key. As I said above, Bindi is a good dancer in my opinion. One of the best that's been on the show, maybe not but good and if she wins, it would be more than deserved in my opinion. I watched all the four last night and if I think about their whole journey on the show this season, in my opinion, Bindi is the best one left.

Now look if she doesn't win, then fine, because as I've always said this show is just about who gets the most viewer votes. So hell if Alek wins, great for him. But I certainly do not think Bindi's winning would be some outrage that I know some would make it out to be and declare how she only did so because she was pimped and overscored to the win. In my opinion, Bindi has been one of the most consistently strong dancers the whole season. 

By not letting anyone go, they are keeping on track with the show's schedule, because last week, 2 stars left. If someone was eliminated last night, they'd be ahead of schedule.

How so? The finale is next week and was always going to be next week. The only difference eliminating someone last night would have done is that rather than a 4-couples finale, they would have 3-couples which as many have stated was actually what they used to have for many seasons. They only went to 4-couples a few seasons ago. 

And the only difference between a 4-couples versus a 3-couples finale is that a couple gets eliminated on the Monday night after everyone does their two dances and then only three couples go into Tuesday night's big finale. Hell they did a 3-couples finale just last season after a season of a lot of fuckery (we're having a double elimination, no we're not, oh wait we are but wait it's next week, etc.) and all that happened is that no one got eliminated on the Monday night and they had the same big finale they usually have on Tuesday.

So all this really did was give whichever couple that would have been eliminated another week to get some votes and get to show their big freestyle which again, even the non-conspiracy theorist in me thinks that if one of Bindi or Nick truly was in last place, that it was him. Because there is no way they wanted to go to the finale night without the Backstreet Boy who was arguably the biggest name coming into the season. But YMMV. Of course I still say that was bullshit and it was really Carlos with the lowest total but that may just be my bias because he bugs me. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

I wish someone from Australia would weigh in because that's what I've heard too, that the family and the zoo aren't highly regarded in their own country. This isn't just recent, it goes way back.

From what I've read about it, there was a big falling out between Terri and Steve's dad after Steve's death re: the handling of the zoo and it has spiraled since then.

I've only read a few Australian voters for Bindi, yet I've read quite a bit that there are a lot of Aussie BSB fans.

I do have a friend who lives in Australia, and mentioned Bindi being on DWTS and she had no idea other than knowing that Bindi had previously turned down the AUS DWTS. So, I'm not sure it's as big a deal over there as it is being presumed it is in the US.

But I always felt some overestimated Nick's dance abilities coming into the season. And there was definitely this sense that he was going to be the biggest ringer of the season and just have the mirror ball in the bag and that just hasn't happened.

I agree with this. Everyone who has followed BSB closely knows Nick is the worst dancer by far. It's not a big surprise.

As for him gaining/not gaining votes or whatever. I know several Tamar fans were voting for him after last week, and saw that many of Peta's fans threw their votes his way. Who knows how much that is comparatively, though.

Edited by CED9
  • Love 1

How? The finale is next week and was always going to be next week. The only difference eliminating someone last night would have done is that rather than a 4-couples finale, they would have 3-couples which as many have stated was actually what they used to have for many seasons. They only went to 4-couples a few seasons ago.

But they obviously planned for a 4 couple fine; I couldn't see them changing that. So now they are on schedule for the way they planned it to be.

I wish they had skipped the dance offs and just filled the time with more pros dancing. Karina, Val, Peta and Mark could have pulled something together that would have been far more enjoyable.

I thought Nick's best dance last night was in the dance off and disagreed with the points awarded to Bindi there. I hated his trio and wish Peta and Sharna would stop choosing each other for trio dances because I never like what they come up with together (Tommy Chong's trio was one of my least favorite dances on this show ever).

I am starting to wonder if Sharna is just one of those pros better paired with a non contender. She did great work with Andy Dick and Noah, both of whom lasted longer than I would have expected (though Noah had help from the judges there). Her partnership with Charlie was disappointing and Nick is underwhelming. I will say that I like the Nick/Sharna partnership better than the Charlie/Sharna partnership even though individually I liked Charlie more than I like Nick. If that makes any sense.

• Love 3

ocelot, that's not it. The part people are referring to is the spinning on the rope.

Ohh okay, I was confused because someone mentioned 'the end' of Amy and Derek's dance and that didn't happen in the end of their dance. Thank you. ETA: okayyy I'm an idiot, I thought you guys were referring to their contemporary and not their freestyle. Sorry, I'll try to learn how to read.

I loved Val and Jenna's dance too, and it would be great to see more full-length pro dances instead of the tail-shaking Mandy Moore snippets we've been getting. For instance, I'd love to see a reprise of Tony's I Dream of Jeannie dance he did with Jenna, I think, when Kim couldn't be there. Something along those lines every week would be great.

It would be really awesome to have one full length pro latin or ballroom dance every week. I wish they would do that.

Btw I was pretty impressed with Hayley in that cha cha bumper? I thought she was Jenna at first. She's better than Allison at least.

I am in the minority, but last night, that was Carlos (and that's a first).

I thought he did a really good job and the choreography was better than Witney's usual contemp choreo (and better than some that have gotten all 10s this season). I'm confused at the response he's getting.

Edited by ocelot

I am starting to wonder if Sharna is just one of those pros better paired with a non contender. She did great work with Andy Dick and Noah, both of whom lasted longer than I would have expected (though Noah had help from the judges there). Her partnership with Charlie was disappointing and Nick is underwhelming. I will say that I like the Nick/Sharna partnership better than the Charlie/Sharna partnership even though individually I liked Charlie more than I like Nick. If that makes any sense.

IMO Sharna's choreo for Charlie wasn't always ideal and the same is proving true with Nick. Having contenders is high-pressure and they tend to be hard on the male contestants they perceive as "ringers" (no matter if Nick actually qualifies as such or not...) in particular. She tended to overload her routines with Charlie so that he couldn't quite execute them cleanly anymore and she's relying a lot on Nick's boyband dancing background this time around. It's all good, but for me there wasn't really much of a standout WOW! moment with either Charlie or Nick. Perhaps the samba for Nick and the jazz for Charlie? But I tend to agree that Sharna's choreography is a bit overrated. It's good, but not stellar.

• Love 1

But they obviously planned for a 4 couple fine; I couldn't see them changing that. So now they are on schedule for the way they planned it to be.

I guess I still don't understand what schedule there was to be affected. Yes, they wanted a 4-couple finale which meant needing a 5-couples semi final which did not happen because Tamar withdrew. But again, there really is no significant difference between a 4-couples and 3-couples finale. They had a 3-couples finale last season and I'm not sure that was planned from the beginning, again especially with the constant "we're doing a double elimination, oh wait no we're not, yes we are..." The only thing that happens is someone will not get eliminated on Monday night going into Tuesday's finale. That's it. 

I thought Nick's best dance last night was in the dance off and disagreed with the points awarded to Bindi there.

This is why the fact that this show is mostly left up to viewers is so interesting because the dancing can be so subjective. Like I've read this comment more than once and yet, I watched that dance off and thought it wasn't even close. To me Bindi clearly won with a mixture of way more content and better execution of the steps. And yet some see it so differently which is totally fair. But again it's just a reminder that this show can never really be "fair" because it's all so subjective really.

• Love 1