Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Rhinoceros

ElectricBoogaloo
  • Start Topic

I'm always intrigued by the episode titles. Last year was all parables. This title could refer to the animal totem of the Rhinoceros:

Rhinoceros Meanings in the Realms of Animal Symbolism

Animal symbolism of the rhinoceros revolves around a mass of misguided perception. The rhino is replete with contradictions.

One of the top three largest landmammals, the rhino's physical presence is mammoth. Although the rhino is known to display aggressive behavior, for the most part it is a passive creature - preferring to roam its wide-open grassy spaces in contemplative solitude. Here we see the first of many paradoxes that lead us to the underlying symbolic theme of the rhinoceros: "things are not as they seem."

Or it could be the Smashing Pumpkins song:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aVfWx9282y0

• Love 2

The preview makes me worry for Hank, especially after episode five's bloodbath.

I always thought Hank would have to die. Lou and Molly can't die, but someone close to them most likely has to be a casualty of that gang war. Betsy likely isn't going to fill that specific role, so that really only leaves Hank.

• Love 2

There's a shot in the preview of someone's back. The person is wearing jeans and a blue jacket and is reaching for a gun tucked into their waistband. Looks like Charlie--same jeans, same shirt, same jacket, same belt--but the right hand reaching for the gun looks normal. Maybe the image is flipped.

Judging from the preview alone, this is what I think happens: Ed is taken away by car, is interrogated by Lou regarding the death and fire at the butcher shop. Hank stays at the Blomquist house to protect Peggy. Dodd, on Floyd's orders, comes to Ed's house looking for Ed. Hank meets him on the porch. Hanzee sneaks up on Hank and hits him with the pipe, either incapacitating him or killing him. Unhindered, Dodd enters the house. There's a shot of someone walking in the Blomquist foyer running their weapon (a piece of pipe) along a radiator, the same radiator in the Blomquist front hall. There's also a shot of Peggy looking down at someone in what looks like the garage, maybe attacking someone. There's a gunfight at some point, as there's a shot of a kitchen being shot up as well as shots of Mike and the Kitchen brother firing. I'm guessing Dodd and Hanzee escape, but that the men who arrive with Dodd wind up as casualties. Maybe Peggy escapes in the confusion, or maybe she's saved by the arrival of third parties.

• Love 2

Rhinoceros could be something as simple as the subject of one of Molly's drawings. In this past episode Hank was talking to Molly about something she drew and he asked about the rhinoceros.

"Gift of the Magi" was probably a literary reference, but "Waiting for Dutch" was just those guys on the set of a Ronald Reagan movie, waiting for Dutch.

The title "The Myth of Sisyphus" refers to the fact that struggle itself is enough. I took the title to be speaking about Floyd. Some discuss the episode in length, some like to speculate about the titles. There's room for both.

• Love 1

The title "The Myth of Sisyphus" refers to the fact that struggle itself is enough. I took the title to be speaking about Floyd. Some discuss the episode in length, some like to speculate about the titles. There's room for both.

I wasn't the one who said not to discuss them.

Although everything really is meaningless, discussing the episodes and their titles is as absurd as repeatedly rolling a rock up a hill.

• Love 1

I'm always intrigued by the episode titles. Last year was all parables. This title could refer to the animal totem of the Rhinoceros:

Rhinoceros Meanings in the Realms of Animal Symbolism

Animal symbolism of the rhinoceros revolves around a mass of misguided perception. The rhino is replete with contradictions.

One of the top three largest landmammals, the rhino's physical presence is mammoth. Although the rhino is known to display aggressive behavior, for the most part it is a passive creature - preferring to roam its wide-open grassy spaces in contemplative solitude. Here we see the first of many paradoxes that lead us to the underlying symbolic theme of the rhinoceros: "things are not as they seem."

Sounds like Ed to me.
  • Love 1

I wasn't the one who said not to discuss them.

Although everything really is meaningless, discussing the episodes and their titles is as absurd as repeatedly rolling a rock up a hill.

I like to think all my posts are absurd and meaningless...

• Love 7

I like to think all my posts are absurd and meaningless...

I have to admit that I have trouble seeing a purpose to my existence on most days.

That Camus book that Noreen was reading does fit my viewpoint on much of modern life.

Here I am surlping coffee and typing a bunch of drivel on a Sunday morning.

For what?

To amuse another human enough so they click the like button on my post?

The satisfaction of seeing that a total stranger likes what I wrote enough to like it or reply is a brief distraction from my boring and pointless existence.

I've already procreated and my offspring are on their own.

Since I am a mammal, I guess I could go procreate a few more times.

However, I think I'll act like a salmon and hang around the backwater eddy of the internet until I expire.

Either way, it is pointless and absurd. I guess my efforts to keep insanity and suicidal thoughts at bay will have to suffice.

Have a nice day!

• Love 23

Rhinoceros could be something as simple as the subject of one of Molly's drawings. In this past episode Hank was talking to Molly about something she drew and he asked about the rhinoceros.

"Gift of the Magi" was probably a literary reference, but "Waiting for Dutch" was just those guys on the set of a Ronald Reagan movie, waiting for Dutch.

I thought that title was a reference to Waiting for Godot.

• Love 1

I have to admit that I have trouble seeing a purpose to my existence on most days.

That Camus book that Noreen was reading does fit my viewpoint on much of modern life.

Here I am surlping coffee and typing a bunch of drivel on a Sunday morning.

For what?

To amuse another human enough so they click the like button on my post?

The satisfaction of seeing that a total stranger likes what I wrote enough to like it or reply is a brief distraction from my boring and pointless existence.

I've already procreated and my offspring are on their own.

Since I am a mammal, I guess I could go procreate a few more times.

However, I think I'll act like a salmon and hang around the backwater eddy of the internet until I expire.

Either way, it is pointless and absurd. I guess my efforts to keep insanity and suicidal thoughts at bay will have to suffice.

Have a nice day!

So, we're back to Ionesco.

• Love 1

So, we're back to Ionesco.

Not that it matters, but I had to Google that.
Heh, me too. With the sans serif font, and in the context of the discussion (and my shocking lack of knowledge of literary references), I thought the upper case i was a lower case L. I momentarily got excited that there was a lovely onomatopoeia to describe loneliness that comes with the SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) of our shortening, darkening days here in the north that was "lonesco." When the Google results first started showing up, I thought there was a lonely rhinoceros for which the condition was named. I think this discussion has long ago morphed into the Small Talk Category while still keeping to the topic of tonight's episode, and this post isn't helping much. Anyway, I have to try to help motivate some college students to learn about research tonight, so I might watch a bit later. My vote is still with Ed being rhino-like. Was it this show in which last season the episode titles seemed to refer to the previous episodes? Or maybe that was True Detective or 12 Monkeys.

"See" y'all on the other side.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Dammit, why is this show so good? Why are so few people watching this show? Thank God for the anthology format. We know we'll see the end of the story. And Noah Hawley will be heard from again. Guaranteed.

"You're a little touched, aren't ya?" "There's a steamer trunk full of the stupid I think you are." Hank for the motherfucking win. I loved that whole discussion with Peggy, Hank asking the questions any normal person would ask. Very happy he made it out of this episode.

Peggy may be touched, but she is resourceful.

Anybody wondering the nonsense Mike was uttering when they left the hotel, it was Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky.

• Love 19

So relieved Hank is alive because he just owned this episode. His reaction to Peggy's utter lack of priorities was priceless. She is so delusional she makes Norma Bates look sane.

So typical of Ed to flee the cops and wind up in the path of the scary hit man. dear God, what a moron. His "I'm the victim here"...shades of Lester, anyone?

• Love 8

Man, Carl is lucky Bear was ring leading that hit squad. He wouldn't have been able to talk them out of it if Dodd had been in charge. And I don't why I loved that Sonny was drinking beer in his van the whole time, just watching everything unfold.

• Love 3

I verbalized Hank's inner monologue with a "Fuuuuuuuck" when Dodd and his men showed up. I thought for sure he was a goner, so I'm glad he was only knocked out. That hardly seems to line up with the whole "leave no witnesses" mentality, but it doesn't matter. I'm glad we get to keep Hank for now. Ted Danson has been stellar all season.

As someone who loves Nick Offerman, I'm sorry to agree that his scene with Ed lasted forever. Though they definitely redeemed the character in his conversation with Bear.

It took a bit to get me as invested in this season as I was in the first, but I'm all in and loving it now.

• Love 5

I've been enjoying this season in that I'm happy I'm still watching, but tonight was the first episode this season that I wholeheartedly loved.  It absolutely left me breathless. 

There was so much suspense without death.  (Except for maybe Dodd?  Please?) 

Not only was Nick Offerman terrific in Karl's showdown with Bear but whoever plays Bear did such a great job as well.  My favorite line was when Hank told Lou not to tire himself out because they both knew where he was headed.  Ain't that the truth. 

Dare I hope that Floyd and her granddaughter are the two left standing and in charge at the end of the war?  There does seem to be a theme of feminism running through this season. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 3

Looks like Peggy is the rhinoceros. Did she kill Dodd and flee to California to fulfill herself?

We suspect she's still going to end up at the Lifespring Seminar in Sioux Falls.

Probably driving Dodd's car!

ETA:  Damn, Karl is a good lawyer.

Edited by The Wild Sow
  • Love 9

Any scene involving Peggy and Hank was fantastic.  I love that they are mixing up the characters a bit more.  Kirsten Dunst and Ted Danson really played off each other well.  Hank's flabbergasted reactions to Peggy were priceless.  I just love how she was so casual about wanting to get to her seminar tomorrow even though, as Hank pointed out, her husband has just been taken in and, well, every thing think he and Peggy have just did to piss off one of the biggest crime families in the area.  And she was just treating it all like a mild inconvenience.  The delusion of hers is amazing!

Really got worried for Hank when Dodd and his crew showed up, because unlike Lou and Betsy, I can see Hank being a casualty after all of this.  I'm guessing the reason Hanzee only knocked him out, because he really did want to add a police death to their list of problems.  I do wonder if Dodd would have done of the same thing, or would he have gone through with it, assuming Hank did drop him first.  Anyway, cracked up at Peggy taking him down.  Couldn't tell if she finished him off for good or not, but even if he is still alive, I'm sure a raging sexist like him would never live down a women besting him.  Also loved him shooting his own man accidentally.  Now, that is something I could see coming out of a Coen Brothers film.

A lot of Karl in this one, and a lot of opportunities for Nick Offerman to shine.  I did think his scene with Ed went on a bit too long, but I loved him talking down Bear.  Right up with there with Jimmy talking down Tuco on Better Call Saul, as one of the best times someone talk themselves out of a near death situation.  It helped that it was Bear, who do seems to be somewhat reasonable: at least for this family.

I figured Mike was actually going to be gunning for Floyd all along, instead of Dodd like Simone wanted.  At least Floyd apparently managed to save them, but I wonder about her husband.

Seriously, what is Ed thinking?

Loved how calm and confident Lou was throughout the entire thing.  Even if I didn't know his ultimate fate thanks to the first season, I always trusted that if anyone can figure his way out of this mess, it would be him.  And I still think Patrick Wilson provides a lot of great reaction shots, especially with Ed and Karl this time.  And I loved his "Shut up, Ed!", when Ed was trying to talk with Betsy.  Lou is so over this.

• Love 6

Whose car had the pointy hood ornament that we kept seeing from inside the car? You know, the one that invoked a rhinocerous horn? Mike's?

I do agree with the person upthread who said Peggy is this week's rhinocerous.

I didn't think Nick Offerman's dialog with Ed was too long. The "G" or "NG" and yes means no were descriptive of Ed's level of guilt as well as Peggy's paranoia.

Casting by Rachel Tenner. The casting really does make a difference. Each one is suited to his or her role.

I wondered if Otto/Michael Hogan would rise up and off someone. Where was he when Mike and his crew sprayed the house with automatic weapons? I will be annoyed if the ladies survived just because IRL they would not have. But then I thought Hanzee should've been able to take Ed out too.

Why did Hank not go back into the house and check on what happened with Peggy and Dodd and company? Did that just slip his mind?

• He knew he was in no shape to face down an attacker
  • He knew Lou needed help
  • With Betsey possibly dying of cancer, either he or Lou need to survive to raise Molly.
Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

I will be annoyed if the ladies survived just because IRL they would not have. But then I thought Hanzee should've been able to take Ed out too.

I bet they do. I am starting to get the sense that those two and Peggy as well are going to survive the whole show just because they are women and the show is going to try a bit too hard to show "strong women" characters. (Yes I know Peggy is not a strong woman per se, but she is suddenly out foxing everyone)

I loved everything about Peggy vs. Dodd:

1. Peggy taking down the first attacker with a sink of all things.

2. Dodd shooting his own man.

3. Dodd stupidly wedging himself into a tight space and dropping his own weapon when he gets stuck.

4. Peggy attacking Dodd with his own weapon.

5. Peggy shocking Dodd again after he called her a bitch.

6. The sexist Dodd getting taken down by a girl.

Dodd really is useless without Hanzee, isn't he? He probably would have died a long time ago, given how impulsive and reckless he is, without Hanzee there to protect him from his own stupidity.

Is Dodd dead? Can you kill someone with one of those shocker sticks? I've heard of people dying by taser, but those were modern devices, so I don't know if they'd be more less dangerous. I'm wondering what happens when Ed gets home and Hank/Lou are there and there are three new bodies to deal with.

On another note, Lou seems to be the only character smart enough to outfox Hanzee. Ed would have died had it not been for Lou's quick thinking.

The casting is so great on this show. Bear looked so worried for his son even when holding a rifle and at the head of an army.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 4

What was the NG stuff Karl was pedaling? Guilty/Not Guilty? He was so confusing in his drunken state: "shake your head up and down."

Crikey, Karl, that's called "nodding."

I was gobsmacked, too, that he's an attorney as a previous poster mentioned.

• Love 1

Holy shit I was so scared for Karl! If Nick Offerman finally gets an Emmy after being ignored for being Ron Swanson I'll be happy.

My patience for Ed and his stubbornness has reached it's breaking point.

Whoa, Peggy is a badass. Good to see Dodd get taken down by a girl.

Simone, you idiot.

• Love 1

This was a great episode, so much tension.

Dodd is an idiot for shooting his own man. He has no self control, just fires reflexively. But I was so happy to see Peggy shock him. I hope she tied him up afterwards.

Peggy and Hank's conversation was great. She is so out of touch, but she is strangely enough aware how out of touch she is. She can be in a fog but she can step out of that fog just as quickly. Kirsten Dunst is killing it with this role.

I was so glad Lou and Ed got away from Hamzee.

Mike going after the Gerhardt complex was to be expected. He no longer needs anything Luverne, not Ed nor Charlie.

One odd thing I noticed: how can Hamzee pull a gun on Bear without repercussion?

• Love 4

I agree that it's great the way this episode played out, with minimal violence.

I don't buy that Peggy and Ed would stonewall like this.  They would likely have folded after Ed was taken away to jail.  But of course, they make Peggy into some kind of ninja and bests 2 killers?  That's some cool hand luke BS there.

And a lynch party in 1979?  Ok it's a small town in the middle of nowhere (which makes you wonder why there's this criminal empire that the Gerhards and the KC mob are fighting over, with such scant population, how much money is there to be made there?) but they were going to massacre the law enforcement in the town and expect to get away with it?

When Lou sneaks Ed out of the jail, all he knows is that Ron Swanson is buying him some time, distracting the Gerhard mob.  So he saves Ed's life but he doesn't know that the Gerhards will back down and leave.  Isn't he basically leaving those deputies to die?  He's saving Ed's life but he's letting the cops in there fend for themselves.

• Love 4

One odd thing I noticed: how can Hamzee pull a gun on Bear without repercussion?

I'm thinking that Hanzee is part of the family, adopted in some strange way. He appears to have status beyond that of a hired gun.

I haven't had the chance to do a second watch of the episode yet, but when Bear was reminiscing with Otto on the porch, I think there was a clue.

In the middle of Bear's talk, they flashed to old photos of the family and one was of an Indian in a headdress.

I might be reading too much into it.

Oh, and I agree with the poster upthread who thinks Peggy is headed to Sioux Falls in Dodd's car.

• Love 3

When Lou sneaks Ed out of the jail, all he knows is that Ron Swanson is buying him some time, distracting the Gerhard mob.  So he saves Ed's life but he doesn't know that the Gerhards will back down and leave.  Isn't he basically leaving those deputies to die?  He's saving Ed's life but he's letting the cops in there fend for themselves.

Good point. Either he had a lot of faith in Carl/Nick Offerman/Ron Swanson's ability to filibuster a standoff to the point of the Gehrhardts walking away rather than being talked to death, or Lou figured Ed was surely a dead man on his watch if he didn't get him away, and the others were not known targets of the Gehrhardts.
  • Love 2

The scene in the basement where Peggy takes out Dodd and his henchmen reminded me of Home Alone.

She leads them into her fun house and takes them out with unorthodox tactics and their own bungling.

It might be far fetched in reality, but they sold it to me in the context of the show. Great scene!

I can't wait to find out if Hank went down there or not before going to meet Lou.

Oh, the "shocker stick" that someone asked about upthread is a cattle prod.

One has to assume that Dodd modified to deliver a more intense shock, but I doubt it is intended to be lethal.

In an earlier episode, Dodd was using it to incapacitate the KC henchmen in the donut shop.

Edited by ToastnBacon
  • Love 3

Both Peggy and Ed showed interesting shades of Lester today. HA! How many people are they going to kill before they are through (not that I think Dodd is dead...although that would be hilarious.). Mob war starts because of a couple of nit wits.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

• He knew he was in no shape to face down an attacker
  • He knew Lou needed help
  • With Betsey possibly dying of cancer, either he or Lou need to survive to raise Molly.

I didn't think twice when Hank left Peggy in the house - she seems more capable than most - but many are questioning it. I think the three points above offer a plausible explanation. Maybe it is a scene that we get next week.

Good point. Either he had a lot of faith in Carl/Nick Offerman/Ron Swanson's ability to filibuster a standoff to the point of the Gehrhardts walking away rather than being talked to death, or Lou figured Ed was surely a dead man on his watch if he didn't get him away, and the others were not known targets of the Gehrhardts.

I did wonder about Lou's decision here and rationalized that he made a choice based on his instincts and observations. And that's really what a good law enforcement official has to do when he is outnumbered and in an impossible situation.

What an excellent episode! Nothing was overplayed or obvious. Nick Offerman, Ted Danson and Kirsten Dunst were incredible. There will not be enough Emmys to go around for this cast.

EDIT: to add, I agree with those upthread suggesting that Peggy is headed to Sioux Falls in Dodd's car. I think that Ed gets home in time to join her. And the remaining Gehrhardt gang and Kansas City mob will follow.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 5