Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: And The Cost Of Education

Students start disappearing at Wexler College, an institution started by a mad historian/architect who believed in alternate dimensions. When the Librarians arrive, they discover a young student from the physics department is investigating the bizarre occurrences on her own. Meanwhile, Cassandra gets an offer that's difficult to turn down.

BETH IS THE LADY OF THE LAKE! BETH IS THE LADY OF THE LAKE!

Sorry for yelling, but I just loved that.  I liked this Cassandra and I liked Stumpy and I always love Jake.  He was so much fun fanboying that prick professor until he realized what an idiot he actually was and then he was fun pointing out how wrong he was.  Also liked Mindy the Cheerleader with her "just like every college, 1 in 5 students/professors/mascots go missing with no explanation."  People will just roll with the crazy.  Lizzie was interesting as a different take on magic being unleashed and I won't mind checking back in with her at some point or the girl from last season's science fair ep.

• Love 6
BETH IS THE LADY OF THE LAKE! BETH IS THE LADY OF THE LAKE!

YUP

I don't know if anyone watches Doctor Who, but Lucy = Osgood. Right? 

I mean, the librarians can't be everywhere all the time, so it makes sense that they'd have "CIs" like a Lucy. 

I liked Stone in the class. I always like to walk into the class like that. Screaming at Jones to be arrogant was funny too. I really like that this was a lady-led episode with the guys supporting. 

• Love 1

Oh ye gods. Cassandra did what was best once? Was this at some point before or after she sold out the world for her own self interest? And yet somehow with all that natural talent at their disposal they needed Ezekiel to be arrogant to attract the monster.

On the bright side, Beth, so maybe she'll be back. And also, they're genre savvy enough to straight up Wesley Crusher Cassandra into a higher order of being early on and save the suspense.

Expected more detail about the lake from Lancelot du Lac's son. It's one thing not to refer explicitly but it's another to withhold. That part of the continuing mytharc was kind of frustrating for me.

I thought it was a sour note to abuse the professor for not believing in magic. Even in this fictional universe, the widespread reality of magic is a rather new thing. 

Lizzie Lyon...I rather suspect the name is supposed to be suggestive. 

Cassandra is passionate about knowledge, Jake is passionate about art and Ezekiel is passionate about himself (and getting over on other people by stealing stuff.) The character is getting the short end of the stick here I think. Is it my imagination or has he also become the character who doesn't know anything on his own, so he gets to ask the questions for the audience? In the plotting Ezekiel mostly opens doors or gets props. Baird can be a better Guardian if she's splitting her guarding time just two ways instead of three. The actor seems very lively to me, but maybe the character should go. 

Edited by sjohnson

I thought it was a sour note to abuse the professor for not believing in magic. Even in this fictional universe, the widespread reality of magic is a rather new thing. 

Yeah, but it's a thing in genre fiction. In real life, the skeptic is the one who'd be the one talking sense, but not in this genre.

FWIW, he was dickish not by being a skeptic, but by the dismissive attitude and the shallow explanations he was latching on to, to keep from having to confront the weirdness. 

So were these the same ladies of the lake who went around distributing swords as a basis for a system of government?  (Parker!  Squee!)

It did resemble a farcical aquatic ceremony so I'm going to guess yes.  I hope they come back because it seems like a waste of Beth Riesgraf--I was waiting the whole episode for her to show up and the part was weirdly short.

Last week it was "I hate babies" and this week it was "I'd call him a prick"--someone in that writers room has access to my brain and I love them for it.

I really like that this was a lady-led episode with the guys supporting.

Seeing Cassandra and Lizzie together in the danger zone was pretty striking, that we could expect these two women to cope with the dangers themselves.

Also interesting that we saw Cassandra enter synesthesia mode deliberately.  Previously, it's been something that happens to her, and tends to overwhelm her.  But this time she was in control.

I liked the episode. The little throw away stuff was my favore. The cheerleader who kept insisting that the people disrespecting were perfectly normal. (I want her to be a recurring character). Jenkins as always was funny. I know everyone bitches about Cassandra's clothes but I honestly don't care I like her and she can wear what she wants. Next to Baird she is my favorite. I am glad she got an episode and if was a fun one.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2

When Stumpy first started moving around, did anyone else think "weeping angel reference!" So I was prepared to find him spooky, then he turned out to be more of a puppy following Jones around, ha.

Cassandra's clothes are much better. Still eclecticly colored, that's fine, but longer hemlines at least.

• Love 3

andipandi- totally thought weeping angel when I saw stumpy move. Glad he turned out not to be evil. Those weeping angels creep me out.

I loved everything about this crazy episode, from the "everything's normal" cheerleader, to magic girl, and big octopus like monster. Well done all around.

When Stumpy first started moving around, did anyone else think "weeping angel reference!" So I was prepared to find him spooky, then he turned out to be more of a puppy following Jones around, ha.

Cassandra's clothes are much better. Still eclecticly colored, that's fine, but longer hemlines at least.

Another "Weeping Angel" vote here.  Librarians: don't bilnk!

You are right as far as the longer hemlines, but if I had it in mind that I'd be going into another dimension, you can be sure I'd wear trousers.  How could she have known that she wouldn't be landing in an arctic zone, or amongst thick underbrush?  Am I thinking too much about this?  Possibly.

Parker/Beth Riesgraf appearing as one those ladies from the lake, certainly was great, and makes me hope all of the former Leverage folks will show up here some day.  I especially want Aldis Hodge as someone Jake use to know, so we can get some great Christian Kane/Hodge banter again.

Case of the week was as crazy as expected (of course, it all ends up being a tentacled monster who feeds on pride.  Of course!).  Fun seeing Kasha Kropinski in a different kind of role, compared to Ruth on Hell on Wheels.  I do wonder if we'll check in on her again, since it sounds like she'll be studying magic on her own now. Jake pretending to be the teacher was great. 

Stumpy, no!!!  Never thought I'd say this, but poor Jones.

Sounds like the library is still pretty screwy.

This show is still entertaining me quite a bit.

• Love 1

Parker/Beth Riesgraf appearing as one those ladies from the lake, certainly was great, and makes me hope all of the former Leverage folks will show up here some day.  I especially want Aldis Hodge as someone Jake use to know, so we can get some great Christian Kane/Hodge banter again.

Throw in a "Damnit [AH's character's name]!!!" and it'll be made of win!

Did anyone catch what arcane curs...er, cheer they were doing?.

My occult Latin is a bit rusty but it sounded lika an incantation for the devil to appear.$

And damn - I want Stumpy back!

Edited by MissLucas

For me the problem wasn't that he didn't believe in magic, but that he refused to acknowledge that belief in magic was part of the design. That's ignoring a really big piece of the "art" of architecture. For example a non-believer dismissing the religious influences in the design and architecture of a cathedral pretty much misses the boat when it comes to understanding the reasons there are immense spaces and soaring ceilings. 

Loved the exploding head bit. And I enjoyed the nod (I think) to Doctor Who, and making the gargoyle a loyal "dog" instead of an evil entity.

• Love 1
On 11/16/2015 at 5:06 AM, Julia said:

Oh ye gods. Cassandra did what was best once? Was this at some point before or after she sold out the world for her own self interest? And yet somehow with all that natural talent at their disposal they needed Ezekiel to be arrogant to attract the monster.

It was the point that she "sold out the world."  Cassandra joined with Dulac to bring back magic to cure not only herself but anyone else with an otherwise incurable condition.  She did that because bringing back magic was what was "best."  Doing what was best was more important to her then than doing what was right.

This episode hammered home the degree to which Cassandra regretted that early choice and how she's fully realized that you can't build greater goods on lesser evils.

The plot was again convoluted but there were more funny moments so that made it worth it.  Jake encouraging Ezekiel to say arrogant things about himself was hilarious.  

I liked Cassandra working with Lucy at the beginning, but once Lucy became so arrogant she disregarded the safety of others, I wasn't really on Cassandra'a side that she needed to risk everything to save her.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Camera One said:

The plot was again convoluted but there were more funny moments so that made it worth it.  Jake encouraging Ezekiel to say arrogant things about himself was hilarious.  

I liked Cassandra working with Lucy at the beginning, but once Lucy became so arrogant she disregarded the safety of others, I wasn't really on Cassandra'a side that she needed to risk everything to save her.  

That was when I stopped being on Cassandra's side too.  Ezekiel saying arrogant things was really funny as well as his attachment to the gargoyle. 

This was just an amazing episode, I enjoyed it a lot. I loved the fact that it has touched a very interesting topic of cost of education. It means a lot to me as a teacher and I am very grateful that they have aired this episode. I believe that this topic should be dived in more deep in to. You can just read more here about essaytornado. I wrote a review about it where I talked about cost of education. Trust me, it is an amazing thing to read.

• Love 1