Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: 11:53 to Odessa

MarkHB

The destinies of Noah and Luke finally intersect as Malina unleashes her true power to save those around her. Tommy may need to join forces with his enemy, Erica Kravid, to complete his mission. Meanwhile, Carlos confronts his violent past while under the watchful eyes of Matt Parkman. Elsewhere, Ren is tasked with the impossible mission of finding Miko.

Edited by MarkHB
Removed dead video preview

I thought the coming apocalypse was a pole reversal accompanied by a CME (coronal mass ejection) -- so what the hell is the H.E.L.E. they keep talking about ?

Seriously, how did Miko get: a) Out of Evernow and b) while simultaneously moving 7957 years into the future without the use of a EVO teleporter ?

I'm a little confused -- they were teleporting people and supplies to build the city in the future from the Renautus facility in Midian, Colorado, but the "actual" gateway is in the Renautus facility in Odessa.  I know, I know, bridge through time and space, but still.  Why would they build the first new city of future Earth in an area where there is no water and no viable land to grow food.  First thing they should have done was launch some satellites, map out the planet and pick the best place to rebuild -- because a wasteland seems like a stupid place to start out. 

And if the Renautus Gateway is supposed to be some secret tunnel to the future, why would they be advertising on a bus in what I guess was supposed to still be Midian, Colorado (Ren doesn't have a car, so where else could he be ?).

They appear to be growing plenty of decorative plants but no fruits and vegetables -- WTF ?

So in addition to manipulating the Earth's magnetic fields/aurora borealis, manipulating water/levitating objects, manipulating insects, Malina is also a meteoroligist ?  And the storm just kind of dissipates.  And it all came off as a little underwhelming.

How come the real Miko doesn't REALLY look like Katana girl ?

Only now does Harris decide to conquer the planet by making hundreds of himself.  FFS !!  What has he been waiting for ?

How did Tommy know where HRG was in order to save him after returning from the future ?  And where was Katana girl ?

As for the 1153 on the bus to Odessa -- that's the bus number or bus route number, it's not the time (a la the episode title).  And why would a bus in some small town in Colorado meander it's way to Odessa, Texas ?  Is Odessa a national hub for the bus company -- like Atlanta is for Delta Airlines ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 5

Another bit a yawner episode for me. I still don't care about Carlos, though I did have a good laugh at the metric crapton of Harris Clones flooding the yard. 

I could have sworn that when they were walking through the garden area, Tommy/Nathan was going to take the peach or whatever fruit he had in his hand and toss it to Phoebe to see if she would automatically catch it, thus making her stop her shadow routine and teleport the hell out of there. What a wasted opportunity. 

We don't know for sure that it was Tommy that teleported HRG away, do we? It was his effect but they never actually showed him, right? Did Hiro somehow regain his powers? Is there another teleporter on the loose?

Other than that, all this episode did was reinforce my theory that Luke is going to get a Moment of Redemption as he's dying. Which, considering how many people he and his ex-wife shot and killed, he doesn't really deserve one.

How did Malina know Penny Dude's name? 

• Love 3

How did Malina know Penny Dude's name? 

And yet no mention at all of HRG's other partner, Claude, who had the power of invisibility.

And speaking of invisibility, Farah's invisibility power really sucked when she was in battle -- because you could easily see where she was.  And home come evil Quentin is only now kind starting to question Erica's motives ?  That's something the good Quentin from the other timeline would be concerned about.

• Love 2

Malia Clearly stopped that cloud at the end and those people were morons accusing her of starting it What idiots!! I do not get why we have to wait until January for 3 episodes.

Edited by jay741982
  • Love 5

And yet no mention at all of HRG's other partner, Claude, who had the power of invisibility.

And speaking of invisibility, Farah's invisibility power really sucked when she was in battle -- because you could easily see where she was.  And home come evil Quentin is only now kind starting to question Erica's motives ?  That's something the good Quentin from the other timeline would be concerned about.

I wonder if the fact that you can clearly see Farah is because they think the audience is completely stupid now (especially after last week's non-reveal of Matt for five minutes). When Claude (and Peter) were invisible before, we'd just get a shot of no one walking down the street, but talking and bumping into people. Pretty sure they did the whole footstep in a puddle thing back then, too. But no, they think the viewers are dumb and need to be spoon fed this shit, so instead they make her all outline-y and blurry so We. Get. It. 'Cause we can't figure it out unless they hold our hand through it. 

I may be a little miffed that they think the viewing audience is stupid. Just a little.

• Love 5

Malia Clearly stopped that cloud at the end and those people were morons accusing her of starting it What idiots and I do not get why we have to wait until January for 3 episodes

Seems par for the course unfortunately.

The promo says 'final 3 episodes', so unless something changes, I assume it'll be over and hopefully.

Other than that, all this episode did was reinforce my theory that Luke is going to get a Moment of Redemption as he's dying. Which, considering how many people he and his ex-wife shot and killed, he doesn't really deserve one.

I assume his moping and whining was supposed to be part of this 'redemption', otherwise, a waste of time and a complete waste of Zachary Levi who should've just waited for a Chuck reboot instead.

• Love 4

Most of the shows are doing "fall finales" so they can torture us with holiday programming. Bah humbug. I'd rather watch the last 3 episodes.

Yeah, I do think that it's pointless to have a fall break for a show that is only supposed to be 13 episodes long. 

• Love 5

Most of the shows are doing "fall finales" so they can torture us with holiday programming. Bah humbug. I'd rather watch the last 3 episodes.

Definitely, I prefer ABC's split season approach better like they've done for some of their shows.

• Love 3

That was underwhelming to say the least. Not sure if it was mentioned but I may have missed it since I ff through all of Erica's scenes (she's unbearable) Why didn't Nathan just escape when he had the chance? Why was he back with her in the promo? Why isnt Nathan looking fir Malina? He knows what she looks like, right? I swear idiots must run in the Petrelli family.

I was very happy to see Micah again. But I hate what they've done with Matt Parkman. He's so overtly evil here and it doesn't click with who he was in heroes.

The crowd reaction after Malina saved their lives seems to be par for the course in this crapsack world. It's sad that people are so afraid of anything different that they can't appreciate a hero (Evo is a bad moniker) actually helping them out.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 4

I wonder if the fact that you can clearly see Farah is because they think the audience is completely stupid now (especially after last week's non-reveal of Matt for five minutes). When Claude (and Peter) were invisible before, we'd just get a shot of no one walking down the street, but talking and bumping into people. Pretty sure they did the whole footstep in a puddle thing back then, too. But no, they think the viewers are dumb and need to be spoon fed this shit, so instead they make her all outline-y and blurry so We. Get. It. 'Cause we can't figure it out unless they hold our hand through it. 

I may be a little miffed that they think the viewing audience is stupid. Just a little.

I am still watching this show, and the fact that I am still doing this to myself is making me seriously doubt my own intelligence. Fair play, Heroes. Your special powers are dumbing-down and time-stealing.

Oh, and sucking. Of course.

• Love 8

It's sad that people are so afraid of anything different that they can't appreciate a hero (Evo is a bad moniker) actually helping them out.

We're supposed to root for the Apocalypse to wipe them out for being brain dead, right?

Fair play, Heroes. Your special powers are dumbing-down and time-stealing.

Oh, and sucking. Of course.

Definitely a special powers for the show.

Edited by Free
  • Love 2

I was very happy to see Micah again. But I hate what they've done with Matt Parkman. He's so overtly evil here and it doesn't click with who he was in heroes.

I don't know. Parkman always kind of rode the line between good and evil. I mean, when we first meet him, he reads his wife's mind which is all kinds of wrong and creepy and he doesn't stop. He also used his power when he was working for the NYPD, despite Daphne asking him not to, in order to conduct his own investigations (and maybe move up the ranks? Or protect himself from being fired? I can't quite recall). I always thought that he listened to his ego more than his morals or heart. He was never overtly evil but he certainly had the potential to be. And he was always a bit of a dick, in my opinion.

I had a little laugh at both Janice and Baby Matt Parkman being on the List. I guess they're still kicking around somewhere. Did they forget that Matt Jr. has a power, too? 

• Love 4

In every future/alternate future we saw on Heroes, Parkman was always on the bad side. He always seemed more conflicted about it though, instead of straight up evil villain.

ETA: thought maybe not in the one where he's married to Daphne and they have a baby girl? I can't remember for sure. I miss Daphne. Maybe Janice just brings out the worst in him!

Edited by Jenniferbug
Did they forget that Matt Jr. has a power, too?

Matt Jr.'s powers to turn on and off mechanical and biological entities could be very entertaining to watch - too bad we don't get to see him again.

I don't know. Parkman always kind of rode the line between good and evil. I mean, when we first meet him, he reads his wife's mind which is all kinds of wrong and creepy and he doesn't stop

Here, he's just another mustache twirling villain like Erica, an evil Company villain now, which is different from the original series, but seeing as how character do a 180 so easily on this show without much of a valid reason to do so.

• Love 2

That was underwhelming to say the least. Not sure if it was mentioned but I may have missed it since I ff through all of Erica's scenes (she's unbearable) Why didn't Nathan just escape when he had the chance? Why was he back with her in the promo? Why isnt Nathan looking fir Malina? He knows what she looks like, right? I swear idiots must run in the Petrelli family.

The crowd reaction after Malina saved their lives seems to be par for the course in this crapsack world. It's sad that people are so afraid of anything different that they can't appreciate a hero (Evo is a bad moniker) actually helping them out.

About Erica being Unbearable I did chuckle a little when Taylor was telling the Evo how she was and he said "She sounds awful". The way those people responded to Malia saving them ticked me off and yes sadly I thought it was indicative of some real life people. How dumb did they sound holy Hell. I kinda wished Zach Levi fried some of those idiots

• Love 4

When Ren was in the Evernow message centre trying to find Miko, I did like the one post that was an obvious shout out to viewers:

"Why introduce a kickass character then just let her die ?"

But they have already killed off lots of other characters who weren't necessarily "kickass".

And the shogun warrior Ren was seeing was in the background image of the message center web page.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

Matt Jr.'s powers to turn on and off mechanical and biological entities could be very entertaining to watch - too bad we don't get to see him again.

Probably not, but I wonder if that helped Parkman turn to the Dark Side. If Erica threatened to use Matt Jr. in the same way as the other Evos, unless he worked for her. I still think he's ego driven and I doubt anything like that will be explored in the last three episodes, but it made me wonder. 

ETA: I forgot the other head scratcher for me in this episode: Tommy/Nathan is being raised by Hiro and Primatech still manages to grab him and put him in that room when he was seven? Dude! C'mon, Hiro, you should know better than that! Why the hell were you still in Odessa?

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 4

Probably not, but I wonder if that helped Parkman turn to the Dark Side. If Erica threatened to use Matt Jr. in the same way as the other Evos, unless he worked for her. I still think he's ego driven and I doubt anything like that will be explored in the last three episodes, but it made me wonder.

His fall to the dark side might've been interesting in the original series or had it been set up properly instead of just ending up being a lame company henchman.

ETA: I forgot the other head scratcher for me in this episode: Tommy/Nathan is being raised by Hiro and Primatech still manages to grab him and put him in that room when he was seven? Dude! C'mon, Hiro, you should know better than that! Why the hell were you still in Odessa?

That REALLY makes no sense at all.  Hiro should never have let him go near that place.

• Love 2

That REALLY makes no sense at all.  Hiro should never have let him go near that place.

It really doesn't and makes it even more nonsensical just to drag it out to 13 episodes.

Edited by Free
  • Love 2

Malia Clearly stopped that cloud at the end and those people were morons accusing her of starting it What idiots!! I do not get why we have to wait until January for 3 episodes.

I hope NBC isn't going to put this dreck up against Galavant in the 8pm Sunday time slot.  I know which show I'll be watching live, and it won't be this one.

• Love 1

Why they don't just go back in time to when Erika was a baby or a child and kill her I'll never understand. Of course there would be no show but it makes sense to take her out when she is small

I don't know why they just don't stab her now ! She's interfering with the chance to stop a global apocalypse so she can start a colony in the future.. I don't know why Tommy just didn't teleport the other 3 into a volcano instead of following them to the future. Honestly the second I found a scar on the back of my neck I would have grabbed a knife and stabbed Shadow Girl and been done with talking to my jackass kidnappers. 

Everyone on this show is so stupid I'm kind of hoping they all get killed by the apocalypse.

• Love 9

By next January I might just have forgotten about this show. 

It's 10 episodes in and I still don't understand what the threat is and what the evil plan is beyond vague things like "extinction event" or "use evos to send people to the future".  Why should I care about the 3 final episodes in 2 months from now?  

And the show has also done a lousy job of explaining how some of the powers work.  Can Tommy still steal powers?  What happened to all of the memories trapped in pennies when Caspar died?  What can Malina do?  Have we met the original Harris yet and should we care about clones that may or may not be sentient?  

I'm confused how we've already spent 10 hours and know so little about the characters and plot.  At least if Tommy goes back in time and "fixes" things, then I can be happy with the knowledge that Erica and her lackeys will be trapped in a nonexistent future with Emily's boyfriend and Peter's girlfriend.

• Love 5

By next January I might just have forgotten about this show. 

It's 10 episodes in and I still don't understand what the threat is and what the evil plan is beyond vague things like "extinction event" or "use evos to send people to the future".  Why should I care about the 3 final episodes in 2 months from now?  

This was the fall finale, and yet there was really nothing that screamed why I absolutely must tune in next year.  Since it's on NBC -- Must Not See TV.

I'm confused how we've already spent 10 hours and know so little about the characters and plot.  At least if Tommy goes back in time and "fixes" things, then I can be happy with the knowledge that Erica and her lackeys will be trapped in a nonexistent future with Emily's boyfriend and Peter's girlfriend.

The only change will probably be that Quentin is no longer evil -- and the Haitian is dead again.  Since those appeared to be the only changes when HRG went back in time "to fix things".

• Love 3

What an odd and uneventful end.  After two strong weeks, the show returns to be a nonsensical mess.  Tommy proved that the Patrelli stupidity is indeed genetic by helping Erica.  Though the humans might have been even more stupid after being saved at the end.

It's ridiculous that the last three episodes of a limited series "event" are being pushed off for seven weeks.

• Love 4

Definitely, I prefer ABC's split season approach better like they've done for some of their shows.

There's doing a spilt season that actually two half-seasons with an all-encompassing arc.

Then there's "let's call it a fall finale so that we can push the remaining shows after the holidays and into January".

• Love 2

There's doing a spilt season that actually two half-seasons with an all-encompassing arc.

Then there's "let's call it a fall finale so that we can push the remaining shows after the holidays and into January".

Agreed, they should've just finished it off by December.

The only change will probably be that Quentin is no longer evil -- and the Haitian is dead again.  Since those appeared to be the only changes when HRG went back in time "to fix things".

And those are supposed to be the 'important' butterflies.

This was the fall finale, and yet there was really nothing that screamed why I absolutely must tune in next year.  Since it's on NBC -- Must Not See TV.

It's probably 1 of the most uneventful 'disaster' I've seen recently.

I don't know why they just don't stab her now ! She's interfering with the chance to stop a global apocalypse so she can start a colony in the future.. I don't know why Tommy just didn't teleport the other 3 into a volcano instead of following them to the future. Honestly the second I found a scar on the back of my neck I would have grabbed a knife and stabbed Shadow Girl and been done with talking to my jackass kidnappers.

Everyone on this show is so stupid I'm kind of hoping they all get killed by the apocalypse.

Because they've been walking around eggshells around her, even some of them working for her for no good reason at all, there's nothing actually happening that's important and everything is stalled until the end.

Edited by Free

This is what I can't figure out either- why is no one just shooting Phoebe? Bennett should have shot Quentin and then put a bullet in Phoebe's head. Problem solved. 

Tommy ever being at Primatech makes no sense. I wonder if we'll get an explanation for that in the last 3 episodes. I'm going to guess not. 

Phoebe's emo act is really annoying. Take a damn shower and shut the hell up, Phoebe. You don't want your evil power to stop other's abilities and steal light? Then stop conjuring a shadow at all times. She was acting all "woe is me" when talking to Quentin about her power, but it seems like if she would stop using it then it wouldn't have that effect on people. It's a situation entirely of her own choosing. Ugh, she was so likeable in Dark Matters and now I don't think I'll be satisfied until someone murders her. 

I say this every week, but I wish so much that they had done something different with Zach Levi's character. I think he's doing acting the hell out of this redemption story. It's not working, because the character is so terrible, but I think his acting has been good. They really should have written him as a different character, and centered the show around him. 

How did Malina know who Bennett was? Did I miss a scene about that? 

This being a fall finale is ridiculous. Isn't the point of a 13 episode mini series that it can be shown back to back? It really does have me wondering if they're suddenly going to announce a back half to the season or something over the break. I'll be back in January to finish this out, but I'm guessing I'll be one of the few who is. 

• Love 5

Phoebe's emo act is really annoying. Take a damn shower and shut the hell up, Phoebe. You don't want your evil power to stop other's abilities and steal light? Then stop conjuring a shadow at all times. She was acting all "woe is me" when talking to Quentin about her power, but it seems like if she would stop using it then it wouldn't have that effect on people. It's a situation entirely of her own choosing. Ugh, she was so likeable in Dark Matters and now I don't think I'll be satisfied until someone murders her. 

Maybe they fire her from a cannon into the sun and her dark power can reduce the amount of sun spots... or whatever... At this point it'd be the only way to redeem her character after she helped to kill 3000 people or whatever the total number was after the rubble had been cleared.

It's bad that after 10 episodes of a 13 episode run I'm still not clear what the actual danger is. They made it much clearer in the first season of the original show complete with catch phrase, don't let Claire get eaten by Sylar and don't let Nuke Man get upset. or Save the Cheerleader save the world. Here we have dull and duller siblings. 

Edited by wayne67
  • Love 6

HELE = Human Extinction Level Event

Whatever is going to happen is going to wipe out the entire population, making the wasteland we see in the future.

The plan of Erica Kravid is to time travel selected humans and evos, along with materiel to create a new civilization.  

• Love 1

HELE = Human Extinction Level Event

Whatever is going to happen is going to wipe out the entire population, making the wasteland we see in the future.

The plan of Erica Kravid is to time travel selected humans and evos, along with materiel to create a new civilization.  

Yeah I got that ... The problem is I'm not clear on what's supposed to kill us all. The changing magnetic poles or the giant sun spots ? 

It would have been easier to just say there was a giant comet heading to wipe out the Earth. It would have been less stupid.

• Love 4

This being a fall finale is ridiculous. Isn't the point of a 13 episode mini series that it can be shown back to back? It really does have me wondering if they're suddenly going to announce a back half to the season or something over the break. I'll be back in January to finish this out, but I'm guessing I'll be one of the few who is.

It's still slated for 13 episodes, I don't see the point of a break like you.

Yeah I got that ... The problem is I'm not clear on what's supposed to kill us all. The changing magnetic poles or the giant sun spots ? 

It would have been easier to just say there was a giant comet heading to wipe out the Earth. It would have been less stupid.

The giant coronal ejection occurring while the magnetic pole shift is going on; according the not-quite-science in play, the shift in the poles will leave the planet devoid of its natural defenses to that sort of intense solar radiation.

Wow, is this a slog to get through.  This is the tenth episode, so I would think things would be ramping up, but even what are suppose to be huge twists and big moments, feel like they're just limping along.  And everyone is acting way too casual about this whole end of the world thing and their destiny and whatnot.  If they don't seem to care, why should I?

Especially since humanity apparently consists of assholes.  Malina saves a bunch of folks from a storm and not one of them spoke up for her?  All of them are just content to back the gun-toting rednecks and whatnot?  You know what, Tommy?  Maybe you should just zap all your Evo buddies (and Emily), and just leave humanity to their own devices.  Because we're apparently kind of dicks.

Parkman being evil isn't a bad idea, but I just have a problem buying Greg Grunberg as threatening on any level.

I was probably suppose to feel bad for him, but I was kind of cracking up over Luke's "Poor me!  I just want to help!", and Noah just being all "Whatever, Chuck.  I don't want you hanging around.  Go back to Buy More, Chuck!" about it.

Harris Prime just shooting fake Parkman did make me laugh.  In a good way.  Unlike the army of Harris Primes, that just made me laugh because it looks so goofy.

We won't get the last three episodes till January?  Dumb idea, NBC.

• Love 6

It is a bit of a mess, isn't it? Although there is somewhat of a through-line - it feels like the writer's team threw plot points against the wall and left them where they stuck, whether or not they make sense at that point. Someone needed a good story editor.

It's not clear to me how Tommy and Malina's powers are supposed to help. Were Malina's ever really explained? Sure she holds her hands out and looks constipated (shades of Hiro)and can break up storms  - but it's not really clear how she's supposed to control...whatever it is she's supposed to control, sufficiently to stop the HELE. 

There are good ideas in that mess, but they're shoved aside by a lot of cool(ish) things that don't really contribute. 

• Love 3

Wow, is this a slog to get through.  This is the tenth episode, so I would think things would be ramping up, but even what are suppose to be huge twists and big moments, feel like they're just limping along.  And everyone is acting way too casual about this whole end of the world thing and their destiny and whatnot.  If they don't seem to care, why should I?

All they did was dump in a generic evil organization and then wasted so much time bouncing off of subplots and juggling too many characters.

• Love 1

That's par for this show -- everyone else is, too.  I mean, the Truth Idiots had Matt down, but didn't kill his ass.  I would have made sure he was dead, dead DEAD before doing anything else.  Once that's done, all the people he's controlling break free and take care of anyone whop tries to keep them from taking over the Manor. But, no, they're as stupid as the people who see a girl stop a storm and figure she must have caused it.

So glad there's only 3 episodes left -- this is making Wayward Pines look like a masterpiece.

• Love 7

So glad there's only 3 episodes left -- this is making Wayward Pines look like a masterpiece.

Same here, at least Wayward Pines was sort of interesting when it started before completely going down in flames.

• Love 2
It's 10 episodes in and I still don't understand what the threat is and what the evil plan is beyond vague things like "extinction event" or "use evos to send people to the future".  Why should I care about the 3 final episodes in 2 months from now?

I have trouble paying attention to this show. It seems like the plot moves in random directions, with a periodic connection. And of course the repeated "save the world" lines. If I didn't have a DVR, I wouldn't notice when the show came back.

Perhaps Malina stopping the storm was foreshadowing for when she manages to put a "dome" around the earth to protect it from the solar flare?

• Love 1

Here, he's just another mustache twirling villain like Erica, an evil Company villain now, which is different from the original series, but seeing as how character do a 180 so easily on this show without much of a valid reason to do so.

Yeah -- I don't remember the version(s) of Parkman we've seen before being this smug and this cruel at the same time. It's still pissing me off. 

• Love 2

Yeah -- I don't remember the version(s) of Parkman we've seen before being this smug and this cruel at the same time. It's still pissing me off. 

Yeah, all of the sudden he's a company henchman.

• Love 1

I like this show because it puts me to sleep instantly. Something about the wailing instruments, the pointless conversations, the quiet voices... I'm out. It's a joke in our house at this point.

I find the music on the show a bit annoying and I usually just put it on mute when they start to play the wailing instruments. 

I did a marathon these last couple of days assuming I would finish and be done with it.  Just burn the rest off in December... it's not like anyone is on the edge of their seats waiting in anticipation.  

"You're our only hope"... still trying to capitalize on Stars Wars, I see.  The Katana Girl stuff makes no sense... I'm not even bothering to try to figure it out.  Why would that dad guy send Ren to her.  Wow, defenseless Japanese boy.  So helpful.

It was nice to see Micah again, but I hated to see Matt treating him like that.  I refuse to believe that this is the Matt Parkman from the series.

It's not like the invisible woman can tell Matt where exactly Malina is anymore.  Why were the facilities abandoned?  I must have been busy watching paint dry during that part.

So now Quentin has second thoughts.  After he was all muahahaha last episode?  Who needs character development when characters can just turn on a whim?

Nice try with the parallels with HRG's character and Zach Levi's character.  Really subtle.

Erica was holding Tommy prisoner, and he's all "Oh, what a wonderful world!"  WTF.  His character was pretty decent and now he's dumber than a doorknob.  He could have teleported Erica into a deer carcass.  At the very least, we could gain a bit of enjoyment watching her, clone face and Joanna suffer for the next three hours.   I wonder if we will be treated to a sob story flashback featuring Erica in one of the final three episodes.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1