Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Driven

Alicia and Lucca join a case involving an automotive executive represented by Lockhart, Agos & Lee, and an employee represented by Louis Canning, who was involved in a crippling accident while test-driving a car operating in "driverless" mode. Also, when Ruth and Eli pursue Courtney Boalt, a potential campaign contributor, Peter moves back in with Alicia to present a united family image.

Promo:

Poor Alicia.  She wanted to jump Jason, and had to settle for Peter.  The logical follow-up to Alicia telling Peter there was no longer any love, and telling Eli she just doesn't care anymore, would be for Alicia to say to hell with her marriage, the Democrat committee, etc., divorce Peter and move on.

• Love 1

I like Jason fine as a character, but I really wish the writers would stop trying to force alleged sexual tension between him and Alicia down our throats. It's not happening, and not every lead character needs a love interest in the first place. And now they're trying to set up some sort of triangle? Except Peter and Alicia are in a marriage of convenience? Ugh. 

Interesting case, even if it did strictly follow the Good Wife formula of rich people arguing ethical issues usually involving technology. I suppose we're done with poor people law and are back to money law. I'd complain, but the show really is better at money law. 

So, what's the over/under on Cary hooking up with Lucca? I give it until Christmas. 

• Love 4

Poor Alicia.  She wanted to jump Jason, and had to settle for Peter. 

There's also the formula of Alicia being horny over some guy and then fucking Peter instead.  I saw it coming all episode.  They've done this.

Yup, it was the episode where Will tried to get with her in the office, she gets cold feet, leaves out the elevator, changes her mind, comes back up to the office and Will is gone. Alicia goes home and sleeps with Peter who was staying there in the room across from the laundry. I remember it, because I just re-saw that episode last week. 

The wig looked better this week! 

I have no idea what this show wants to be anymore or what they want us to think.  Maybe they want me to hate everyone, in which case, done!  And yet, it's almost become a cartoon of itself this season just to make me hate them all if that was the point. 

• Love 4

Further thoughts:

1.  The placement of the players around the conference table during the deposition.  Have we ever seen a client on the opposite side of the table from his lawyers as we saw tonight with the manufacturer CEO on the other side wedged between Alicia and Canning, as opposed to sitting with his lawyers? Was that a visual cue that we are not supposed to root for Diane and Cary anymore, as everyone including their client was on the other side?

2.  In the opening scene at the public hearing of the Big Poobah Board she is now on, she states, when asked about the vote to be taken:  "I don't even know what the issue is", 30 seconds later, she votes.

3.  When Peter and all his minions are in her condo, she has a look, at one point when folks are walking past, like "my heavens, what is going on here!"

4. I'll just call this the "Hey Peter, let's screw" scene and followups.

There comes a point where I would think that the writers have to decide whether she is naive or she is savvy.  Having her whiplash between both in each episode so many seasons in is really becoming preposterous.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4

I missed the end. Can someone here tell me how the case was resolved? I got that it was hackers, but who was deemed ultimately legally culpable?

Sorry Peter/Mr. Big/Chris Noth: You were totally hot as a rookie in L&O, but JDM has you beat now, even though Noth is looking more fit now than in earlier TGW seasons.

• Love 3

I missed the end. Can someone here tell me how the case was resolved? I got that it was hackers, but who was deemed ultimately legally culpable?

Sorry Peter/Mr. Big/Chris Noth: You were totally hot as a rookie in L&O, but JDM has you beat now, even though Noth is looking more fit now than in earlier TGW seasons.

Dudewitz determined that the coder's buddies hacked the car while he was driving it, as a joke. So the company was liable. 

You know the sex season wasn't that good when I spent the whole thing thinking that Alicia's bra was really flattering, and about how they had to block that scene so it doesn't look weird that Alicia is naked and Peter's practically in a winter coat. I get Chris Noth isn't in the best shape, but it was seriously distracting. 

• Love 3

To me that investigator guy seems sleezy and fake and arrogant.  Ugggh.  Don't like that character at all.  Sexual attraction?  Just no.

He seems to be attempting to do an imitation of Sam Elliott and - seriously - that can't be done.

• Love 4

There's also the formula of Alicia being horny over some guy and then fucking Peter instead.  I saw it coming all episode.  They've done this.

KaAvHZX.jpg Why do the writers persist in portraying J Margolies as the alluring, most desired, and hornier than a toad attorney????????     Do they really have to make it seem as if EVERY man she comes in contact with wants to get in her panties?  Wondering how much input Ms. Margolies has in contributing to this now STALE, frequently repeated, story line.   Is Alicia that "hot" ???   NOT !!!

Edited by Day2Day
  • Love 8

To me that investigator guy seems sleezy and fake and arrogant.  Ugggh.  .

He seems to be attempting to do an imitation of Sam Elliott and - seriously - that can't be done.

MdNJoUd.jpg          tpplay,   agree with your assessment.

• Love 2

You know the sex season wasn't that good when I spent the whole thing thinking that Alicia's bra was really flattering, and about how they had to block that scene so it doesn't look weird that Alicia is naked and Peter's practically in a winter coat.

Why do the writers persist in portraying J Margolies as the alluring, must desired, and hornier than a toad attorney????????

This may sound mean/shallow: but Juliana, while still rather appealing, is at a point where she now looks better with her clothes on than off.

Man, that is so spot on.  I totally see it now: the low, growly voice, head tilt, bemused expressions, snipped comments - he is so apeing Sam Elliott.  And it isn't working.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 2

Actually I don't like Jason or Peter with Alicia.

There once was a guy who believed in her and thought she was amazing. Not everyone deserved her.

Yeah, but just because Josh Charles left the show doesn't mean they should have Alicia be celibate for the rest of her life. It's been almost two years.

I do think that they're trying way, way, too hard to force the sexual tension between Alicia and Jason. Harder than they tried with Alicia and Finn, even.

• Love 1

It is like some slap stick show or something even sillier because they still try to inject some seriousness into this poor dead show.

I too find the investigator kind of icky. He looks unclean for some reason and the actor always seems the same. Him and his creepy teeth and smile. I get zero sexual attraction between them no matter how many very very long gazes Alicia shoots his way.

I like MJF well enough but at this point I get the feeling he is shoehorned in because someone on show is close to him. His involvement is just weird but then so much too of Lockhart Gardner is superfluous now. I like the early years. Many of the cases were so well handled with suspense and good writing

Oh well. Another hour free for me.

I'm really over Alicia being a moron, wide-eyed and confused by all these big bad men and the lies they'll tell for power (she is at least 45, not 22), at the beginning of every episode and somehow completely savvy by the end. Enough! She's been going head to head with big name law firms and unscrupulous people for 7 years now, she should get it by now and act less bewildered when someone throws a curveball. 

At least Alicia and Peter's old sex scenes were hot, what even was that last night? JM looks like she's in great shape anyway, so good for her.

I'm loving the subplot with Howard and Jackie, they're both awful, awful people but very sweet together.

Vanessa Williams continues her trend of joining shows about wives in their 7th season!

• Love 1

Poor Alicia.  She wanted to jump Jason, and had to settle for Peter.  The logical follow-up to Alicia telling Peter there was no longer any love, and telling Eli she just doesn't care anymore, would be for Alicia to say to hell with her marriage, the Democrat committee, etc., divorce Peter and move on.

My bolding.  She just did that to take the edge off so she wouldn't look like a total horn-dog when she was with Jason.  (BUT, how could she NOT???)

• Love 1

You know what is funny?  Eli has a way too big desk in a way too small office.  HILARIOUS!   Even as I type, I can't stop laughing.  Kings, you owe me a new keyboard.  Instead of entering the Emmy's as a Drama, you should enter it as a comedy.   UGH!!!!!

Also, I know I need to stop it with my first hand knowledge of the real Governors of Illinois.  Just so you all know, Governor's DO NOT TRAVEL WITH THAT MANY PEOPLE!.  It was ridiculous how many staffers were walking into Alicia's home.  

• Love 7

To me that investigator guy seems sleezy and fake and arrogant.  Ugggh.  Don't like that character at all.  Sexual attraction?  Just no.

NO ONE can replace or even do an imitation of Sam Elliott, but he's damn sexy & I wouldn't change channels while he's on my TV.

• Love 2

Vanessa Williams and Jefferey Dean Morgan need sexy time on this show. She brings some cool sophistication and he brings some serious hot weirdness.  

So now that the band is back together (minus Alicia who is seriously violating several Chicago zoning codes, not to mention her own HOA) what was the purpose of two seasons ago when the new firm was breaking away? And everyone is fine with it. Remember when we wanted to dismember one another? Good times! There is no institutional memory on this show.

I'm fine without the NSA brats goat-rolling one another, but I am actually bummed that we didn't get more of the recent Loyola Law grad who needs a f**king job. Is someone going take her to Union Station, er sorry, Alicia's home? Every other lawyer in the city has been there.

• Love 2

NO ONE can replace or even do an imitation of Sam Elliott, but he's damn sexy & I wouldn't change channels while he's on my TV.

Yup.  One of the sexiest men I've ever heard/seen but don't know in real life.

• Love 2

I love the character of Jason, and am happy to have him on my screen since we never see Diane's husband any more. I always find 'rough around the edges' look sexier than the suit type. I never found Will sexy, though do find Peter sexy to a certain extent but that is because I like his personality.

Another UO, but I love MIchael J. Fox's character of Louis Canning. The bemused expression on his face for much of the deposition had me laughing out loud. And on an unrelated note, MJF did not seem to have any of his often shaking side effect of his meds last night. I wonder if he is on different meds now? In any case I am always thrilled to have him on my screen and hope he continues to be for many years to come.

So why exactly did Peter have an entourage at Alicia's apartment? I get that the governer's mansion is in Springfield but would Peter not have offices somewhere in Chicago as well? If he and Alicia were still together with her working in Chicago would he seriously be bringing a dozen people home with him every night that he was in town? Strange.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 4

I think Peter had all those people around as part of his campaign, and not really because of his governor role.  It's hard to say, though, but all of his calls were fundraising, not working for the people of Illinois.

Hilarious how they put a lampshade on how the Florrick's sexcapade had nothing to do with love.  "Sex is always better when there's no love involved."  Really, Alicia?  Sucks to be you, then.

• Love 6
2.  In the opening scene at the public hearing of the Big Poobah Board she is now on, she states, when asked about the vote to be taken:  "I don't even know what the issue is", 30 seconds later, she votes.

She was told when she got the spot on the board that at the first meeting, she should vote , yes, and  that's what she did.  But agree, the acting naive is getting old.

As for Jason, I wouldn't worry about him (for those that don't care for the actor or character), JDM is only signed on for this season of TGW.

Also, I know I need to stop it with my first hand knowledge of the real Governors of Illinois.  Just so you all know, Governor's DO NOT TRAVEL WITH THAT MANY PEOPLE!.  It was ridiculous how many staffers were walking into Alicia's home.  

LOL. So true. I live in Chicago and saw former Governor Quinn a couple times downtown, during the work day, leaving one of the state buildings. He was with one very young-looking guy and was carrying a Walgreen's bag. That was it. Not impressive at all. I guarantee you most people passed him without even knowing who he was.

Edited by candle96
  • Love 2

I suspect the idea was to invert Alicia's situation with Will - now she's the boss attracted to her employee.

That's an astute observation.  It's just that I don't remember Will giggling coquettishly, ducking his chin so he could gaze up from under his lashes, absentmindedly nibbling his lower lip.  She is driving me NUTS with all that Flirting For Dummies nonsense.  Has she reached over to pick a speck off his lapel yet?

Truthfully I found her sexuality more alluring when she said, "Wanna get laid?" and knocked back that drink like a grownup.  Rawrr.

• Love 4

Another UO, but I love MIchael J. Fox's character of Louis Canning. The bemused expression on his face for much of the deposition had me laughing out loud. And on an unrelated note, MJF did not seem to have any of his often shaking side effect of his meds last night. I wonder if he is on different meds now? In any case I am always thrilled to have him on my screen and hope he continues to be for many years to come.

I don't care for Louis Canning but I loved MJF last night. He really was great to watch during that deposition. And yeah, he looked healthier than I've seen him in years.

• Love 5

I have no idea what this show wants to be anymore or what they want us to think.  Maybe they want me to hate everyone, in which case, done!  And yet, it's almost become a cartoon of itself this season just to make me hate them all if that was the point. 

I was thinking earlier today that it was so odd that this show started with the idea of getting to know the real woman that stands by her politician husband at a press conference doing a mea culpa over a sex scandal; but somehow over seven seasons its morphed from a complex and sympathetic portrait to every stereotype ever assumed about why a woman would stay in that situation, none of them good.  I don't know what happened, they got enamored of the political storylines, backstage tension, etc.

But whatever it was, I'm not enjoying the current incarnation of this show.  I've never liked the political stuff with Peter and Alicia.  Now Diane/Cary are just there to do some management C plot.  And Alicia's cases aren't strong or interesting enough to carry the show.

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 8

My bolding. She just did that to take the edge off so she wouldn't look like a total horn-dog when she was with Jason. (BUT, how could she NOT???)

Why does this woman not own a vibrator? Why do the writers repeatedly have her grab Peter just to manage desire for someone else? She's over 40. Alicia should have managed orgasm maintenance as part of general life skills by now.

• Love 15

Dudewitz determined that the coder's buddies hacked the car while he was driving it, as a joke. So the company was liable. 

What I didn't get was, even if it was driver error, the guy was driving the car while working as an employee of the car company right? So if that is the case isn't the woman in the wheel chair still allowed to sue the company? If he was driving an prototype car that you legally can't drive in the state and his driving it was unauthorized shouldn't they make sure the security on that thing is really strong?

I like MJF well enough but at this point I get the feeling he is shoehorned in because someone on show is close to him. His involvement is just weird but then so much too of Lockhart Gardner is superfluous now. I like the early years. Many of the cases were so well handled with suspense and good writing

They had to bring in Canning. I mean this case had 3 different groups involved and his is the only other law firm left in Chicago.

Yea I figured that was some sort of combination of campaign staff and governor staff. That said I was amazed that a news outlet finally figured out that Peter and Alicia aren't a real couple. How many years have they been getting away with that for?

• Love 2

I think Peter had all those people around as part of his campaign, and not really because of his governor role.  It's hard to say, though, but all of his calls were fundraising, not working for the people of Illinois.

Yeah, it seems like most of what he does these days is about the campaign, and I can buy that there'd be a lot of people following him around for that, if not for the governor part. I actually like Alicia and Peter together when they are getting along, so I liked their scene.

Are Alicia and Luca now getting enough clients on their own that they don't need to slum it in bond court anymore? Because then why did they have to go there in the first place.

The case terrified me though....are there really driverless cars out there?

• Love 2

Why does this woman not own a vibrator? Why do the writers repeatedly have her grab Peter just to manage desire for someone else? She's over 40. Alicia should have managed orgasm maintenance as part of general life skills by now.

You're absolutely right .... totally agree!!!

Alicia's smugness at the depositions made me want to puke. All of the things that made me like Alicia and find her interesting are gone. Now she's just like all the people she used to look down on. I feel sorry for the other actors in the cast. It must be obvious to them that the show has run off the rails.

• Love 3

The thing I enjoyed the most this episode was Jackie and Howard's engagement. They're both awful people but they're slightly less awful together and at their age, why wait? They were genuinely cute together.

Also I do hope we get more of Vanessa Williams. First, Eli has already made the moon eyes at Ugly Betty and now Wilhelmina Slater. My vote is for Christina next, the Amanda, then Alexis is the show makes it that long. I actually felt Vanessa could have been better used. She's great at sly humour and the writing was very bland.

Alicia's personal life drama and the case were boring otherwise. I did love Grace's lie of "Its on the 14th" to cover up her birthday party mess. That was pure Alicia evasion. 

I know the big desk/tiny office thing is getting played out but as long as Alan Cumming is bring the facial reactions I can't say I hate it. 

• Love 4

The smugness was just radiating off Alicia in the beginning of the episode...or, hell, the whole episode. I don't understand what she really has to be smug about, but there it is.

You know what is funny?  Eli has a way too big desk in a way too small office.  HILARIOUS!   Even as I type, I can't stop laughing.  Kings, you owe me a new keyboard.

I know right. It's SO funny. And quirky. And offbeat. Every time that gag is repeated I just laugh and laugh and laugh until I want to stab the person responsible for it. It's just THAT funny. 

*screams into a paper bag*

• Love 10

What was the point of making Cary and Diane racist idiots last week? 

What I didn't get was, even if it was driver error, the guy was driving the car while working as an employee of the car company right? So if that is the case isn't the woman in the wheel chair still allowed to sue the company? If he was driving an prototype car that you legally can't drive in the state and his driving it was unauthorized shouldn't they make sure the security on that thing is really strong?

Yeah, I don't see any way that it wouldn't be the companies fault.  I figured they only tried to pin the blame on him is so that they can say there is nothing wring with the car, it was human error.  But the fact that it didn't stop on its own still means there is something wrong with the car.  In real life, there would have been no discussions, the company would have offered the woman a huge chunk of money provided she agreed not to discuss the case.  

I didn't get why they were asking the woman if she was texting - I don't understand it because what would it have to do with anything? She was stopped at a light (everyone seemed to agree on that), and while texting would probably still be illegal, it is not like she could have moved out of the way if she wasn't texting.  I also don't understand it because nothing came from it.  They asked, she sort of answered, and then the matter was dropped completely.  No one tried to show that she contributed to the accident in any way.  

This was yet another example of the show trying to be hip or current or fashion forward, by having a case about some latest for m of technology, when they either don't understand it or there isn't really a case there.  

That said I was amazed that a news outlet finally figured out that Peter and Alicia aren't a real couple. How many years have they been getting away with that for?

Seriously! And, to make it more ridiculous, Peter staying at Alicia's apartment for a week and then not going back for months/years will probably be enough to squelch all those "not happily married" rumors.  

Are Alicia and Luca now getting enough clients on their own that they don't need to slum it in bond court anymore? Because then why did they have to go there in the first place.

They don't get these clients on their own.  Lewis Canning keeps referring clients to them.  Why? I don't know.  Maybe the writers had an odd moment where they were in touch with reality enough that they realized that no one would seek out Alicia as their attorney, given the voting scandal, and, miraculously, also realized that the bond court stuff was getting too ridiculous to continue it. Therefore, someone was going to have to refer clients to Alicia, but there was no way LAL could do it (too much animosity, plus, they are not going to refer people to her if they are always going to be on opposite sides), and since Canning has the only other law firm in Chicago, it had to be him.    

• Love 5
And on an unrelated note, MJF did not seem to have any of his often shaking side effect of his meds last night.

How much of the usual shaking (by Canning) is actually MJF's symptoms,and how much is for the character? I got the impression that Canning turns it up when he's in court to get sympathy from the judge and jury. But this week he was only in the depo room and could relax and not pretend to be worse than he is.  I don't think MJF's shaking (on his meds) is nearly as bad as  he portrays Canning's to be.

• Love 1

How much of the usual shaking (by Canning) is actually MJF's symptoms,and how much is for the character? I got the impression that Canning turns it up when he's in court to get sympathy from the judge and jury. But this week he was only in the depo room and could relax and not pretend to be worse than he is.  I don't think MJF's shaking (on his meds) is nearly as bad as  he portrays Canning's to be.

I just heard an interview with someone who works behind the scenes on the Jimmy Kimmel show, where they recently had a Back to the Future reunion with MJF and Christopher Lloyd. The person said that his symptoms are actually much worse than we see, but he's able to turn them off, to some degree, when he goes on camera. More power to him. I'm not crazy about Louis Canning, but MJF has had my heart since Family Ties. He was such a fantastically physical actor back then, it's sad to see that decline.

• Love 8