Type keyword(s) to search

Sports Night - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I started re-watching the series (again), and saw the episode with my favorite exchange:

Isaac: Let me add Dana, things that I say in my office STAY in my office.

Dana: Natalie's my second-in-command, she's the only one I told.

Natalie: Jeremy's my boyfriend, he's the only one I told.

Jeremy: I told many, many people.

• Love 8

So, this morning I looked at one of my associates and said, its ok that you are arguing the point...I like to hear the other side because I learned If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Thank you Isaac Jaffe!

• Love 4

I'm reading the headlines today about Serena Williams at Indian Wells, so of course...

We have friends who were going to the tournament and Mrs. Au asked if it was a big deal/ big tournament and Au Jr said....yeah and it can't rain at Indian Wells....that's my boy

• Love 6

"Your gonna face the music and you'll  work hard in the off-season, and you'll be back...Only this time not so stupid."

Somehow there is always a Sorkin line for each situation....and this time it is from the mouth of one Dana Whitaker! 

Stole this one from the great twitter feed "Sorkin Dialogue"...but then again, good writers borrow from other writers...great ones steal outright (ok, that's from Sorkin's "other show" and  originally from T.S. Eliot)

• Love 2
On 3/13/2019 at 10:25 AM, AriAu said:

"Your gonna face the music and you'll  work hard in the off-season, and you'll be back...Only this time not so stupid."

I've been re-watching the show lately (first time in several years), and was just watching Dana without thinking about FH's situation until I got to that line night before last.  I was very much taken out of the show again last night in the episode where their crowd footage is subpoenaed and they talk about how Dana could go to jail if she doesn't turn it over and she wouldn't do well in jail!

Every time I watch the show, Jeremy is even more insufferable than the last time.  But his speech against hunting remains one of my favorite things in the entire series.

Natalie annoys me a little more each time, too; I have to remind myself she's pretty young.

Actually, all the things that bother me about the show irritate me more strongly each time, but I also adore even more the things I love about it.  Like what a terrific boss Isaac is; two fundamentals - "If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you" and not fitting in is how qualified people lose jobs, but also often how they wind up working for him - are at the root of it.

• Love 5

I finished the series in the wee hours of the morning when I couldn't get back to sleep for a while.  "Anybody who can't make money off of Sports Night ought to get out of the money-making business" remains one of the greatest burns.  In the commentary for the finale, I love how much Tommy Schlamme* rejoices in that line ten years later.

*On one hand, I don't know why his parents did that to him, but on the other it's one of the world's greatest names.

In the commentary, Aaron Sorkin said he thought they had a 50/50 chance of being renewed (Schlamme said he was normally the optimist in their relationship, but he thought it was less than that).  Has anyone ever heard what, if anything, Sorkin had planned for season three storylines?  Because I don't recall ever reading about it, and a quick internet search just now didn't turn anything up.  I suspect doing SN and WW simultaneously (and then recovering from that during hiatus) meant he hadn't even thought that far ahead yet by the time SN was cancelled, especially since he tended to be a last-minute writer (and not just late to coming up with specifics, but with story ideas).

• Love 2

So......given that the seder will be a little shorter than usual ("it's not like it's written in stone......actually some parts of the Haggadah are actually written in stone", I will celebrate by watching "April is he Cruelest Month", because nothing says Passover quite like Isaac Jaffe saying..."For God then looked down at his lineup card, pointed to a kid on the bench, and said 'Moses, you're up!'"

• Love 6

It's always so difficult to watch as Dan and Casey's relationship gets more and more strained, so I love "April is the Cruelest Month" because at last they talk and forgive and move forward. It's such a relief, it always makes me cry a little.

t's such a relief, it always makes me cry a little.

You mean it gets a little dusty with "I wouldn't give up the last 10 years working with you for anything" and "you do it good"  and "we get our show back"gets to you???? I have no idea what you are talking about!!! And then Isaac points to his lineup card and asks Jeremy to say the blessings and I am about done!

• Love 4
On 9/16/2019 at 7:36 PM, Bastet said:

Has anyone ever heard what, if anything, Sorkin had planned for season three storylines?  Because I don't recall ever reading about it, and a quick internet search just now didn't turn anything up.  I suspect doing SN and WW simultaneously (and then recovering from that during hiatus) meant he hadn't even thought that far ahead yet by the time SN was cancelled, especially since he tended to be a last-minute writer (and not just late to coming up with specifics, but with story ideas).

I've always assumed that Sorkin was just planning to wing it. But if anyone from the show has ever commented on what storylines were planned for the future, I'd love to hear about it.

On The Good Doctor, one doc tells the doc she is sleeping with that for the good of their relationship, he should see other people....and I yelled "Nooooooo, didn't you watch Sports Night....Dana's dating plan never worked!"  And, sure enough, he goes out with a nice peds doc  named Pixley...just kidding, her name was Heather.

Edited to Add.....I posted this in The Good Doctor thread and someone said they had never seen Sports Night and didnt get the reference so someone else tried to explain it but left out soooo much good stuff that I started to try and explain, but gave up and decided to rewatch "A Girl Named Pixley" instead

Edited by AriAu
Additional info
  • Love 4