Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: The Art Of War

When Reynolds heads to D.C. to discuss developments in the Nevins case, Abbie is left in command. Jenny and Joe deal with unexpected consequences as a result of stealing the shard, which leaves both the lives of the heroes and Abbie's career in great peril. Meanwhile, a new, more dangerous evil force is revealed.

Promo:

Finally we get to the good stuff!

So Pandora and new big bad are "betrothed" or something? That's why she called it a dowry.

And girlfriend working with Nevins is an FBI agent and Reynolds didn't tell her.... ooooh wee this is about to get ugly. I really really hope we get a 4th season - it's just starting to get good!

Apparently Pandora's big bad is some kind of Sumerian "god"? Is there gonna be an Apocalypse or anything?

I like how the different threads have FINALLY come together... I squealed when Jenny and Joe kissed - so glad that happened... but I knew it would and now I'm scared for Jenny. That convo with Joe and Ichabod was interesting too - they were definitely ship-teasing Joenny and Ichabbie in that scene...

And the undercover FBI agent had some chemistry with Crane - I'm not going to even try to deny that. It smoked up my screen. Still prefer Ichabbie - but Crane's issue with his love interests so far is definitely NOT Tom Mison's issue - unless he just cannot muster it up with those particular actresses. But he has chemistry with NB, LG and now the new girl. Hmmmm.

I'm now worried that there may be agents of evil within the FBI. Okay, I HOPE there are agents of evil within the FBI... I really want to see this universe expand and it would be awesome to see more of them come out into the open so it doesn't only feel like Abbie and Crane are fighting one or two foes at a time. There needs to be far more foes coming at them.

Jenny is turned! Noooooooooo!

Wow was I entertained this episode... I hope the move to Friday is because the show plans on just living there. I hope they promote it though - if not it's toast and now it's actually getting good!

• Love 9

I really wasn't feeling this episode. The story seemed a bit off. However, I did like all of the character (the main four) interactions.

So who was Nevin working for? Pandora's boyfriend, the Sumerian God? If so, how did he get the hook up with him? Or was his hookup through Pandora? Or is there another evil player in town we're unaware of? And please show, let this be about more than Pandora wanting to raise her boyfriend from some evil place. Hopefully their 'love' is just a small piece of the puzzle and that the bigger picture is extremely sinister.

The whole FBI piece seemed strange. So how long has Sophie been undercover working to take down Nevin? Months? Years? I also thought it strange that Danny had to go to what I'm assuming is an FBI leader's house to update him on the Nevin case. I'm going to have to rewatch that again. I do wonder if Danny put Abbie in charge while he was away as a set up to see what she'd do.

I enjoyed Jenny and Joe. They have nice chemistry. I do kind of feel though that their kiss was more for the plot and drama than a true romantic connection between the characters.

I really loved the Crane/Abbie scenes. Glad he told her he feared losing her. I think that is the most relaxed I've seen him in what could easily have been interpreted as a scene that was referencing more than their friendship. I saw that relaxation in Abbie too. For the first time I could actually see what it might be like if the show did explore Abbie and Crane as a romance. Crane seems to be starting to make the turn i.e. viewing Abbie with different eyes, eyes that say more than friendship may be possible. But Abbie IMO is still totally in the friend zone with him.

I hope somehow they can free Jenny of the shard. I do wonder though, what did Pandora and Sumerian God need Nevin for if they could call Jenny to the cave to release the God from the tree? Or again is Nevin working for someone else completely?

I thought this was the weakest episode of the season. As already been mentioned there was a bit too many secondary characters which IMO weakened the story between the main four and tgeir connection to the evil plot. Perhaps I will change my mind upon rewatch though as there were several things in the episode I'd like to revisit for better understanding.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1

Oh puh-lease!  Daniel Boone disliked coonskin caps and rarely wore one -- he wore a felt hat or beaver hat, with a brim!

Interview w/ Nathan Boone (Daniel's son) here:

https://www.awesomestories.com/asset/view/Daniel-Boone-Coonskin-Cap

Pretty famous pic here:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/TNzrQvDg094/maxresdefault.jpg

Damn, Fess Parker has a lot to answer for, misleading generations of Americans like that.

Other than that, good show tonight!  Did *not* see Nevins' henchwoman being a Fed.

And, moving to Fridays?  Hopefully not opposite Grimm, but hey, we can record more than one show at a time.  The Wild Boar & I were discussing the Bones crossover and sort of regretting that Grimm is on a different network.  Because a Sleepy Hollow - Grimm crossover would be awesome!

Crane seems to be starting to make the turn i.e. viewing Abbie with different eyes, eyes that say more than friendship may be possible. But Abbie IMO is still totally in the friend zone with him.

Totally. Totally agree. That's the point and the journey that I am seeing this season and I am really enjoying it. It'll be Crane first, because he is the more emotional one. Abbie still has her walls to tear down, then has to move out of the friend zone. That conversation in the woods was lovely, and that he was so open like this with her was lovely.

Loved the back and forth discussions between Joe and Crane. So glad he has a bro to bond with and discuss things with. This was sorely needed in the show. Shocked though that Joe was like "talk to her". Wow. If that wasn't a flashing light. So glad they brought Joe into the mix.

Sophia's an FBI agent! Oh hell yeah, did not see that twist coming. Awesome. She's been undercover for six months. Oh Abbie, this will not end well for you. It almost seems like demon hunting is putting Abbie in over her head. It's not small time Sleepy Hollow PD anymore. Even though the Witnesses are saving the world, very few people know. To people like Reynolds, there are much bigger things going on in the world. Reynolds isn't gonna be happy.

Ah, there he is -

The Hidden One

. Excellent. It seemed like Jenny was like the new wife or something, the way that shadowy figure took her hand. Metzner said that people would change sides. Sophia obvious (though she was always the side of good) and now it looks like Jenny. Called it. The Dowry box makes more sense too. I think this person is the one who was her owner - who "taught her how to speak again"

Oh Crane (aka Mison), you really, really shouldn't hold a vial of blood in your mouth like that. Like, I am sure Jenny is healthy and clean and all that and it's a prop, but it's supposed to be a vial of blood and there is a reason why people wear gloves in the medical field. Joe did, but not in the forest, but I just cringed when I saw him doing that. Just...no.

Whoa - Crane being a bit violent with a woman. Love this more confident and cocky and ungentlemenly version, is you want to call it that - it actually surprised me that he did that. And yes, Sophia and Crane play off each other well - love it. They can be thorns in each others sides. I like her character too - but now what happens - this big FBI sting was just blown by Abbie, Joe and Crane. The repercussions are not going to be good. I have a feeling Daniel will finally find out what Abbie's other job is, to help him understand.

I totally had shades of X-Files, when Reynolds was talking with that US Senator (I assumed he was). And Indiana Jones villian vibes, when Nevin read that little spell and was cackling when the box opened.

Jenny/Joe scenes - fun, sexy and so awesome together. Great pairing. And aw...so sweet.

I know many disagree that the show lots it's energy. Maybe. But these longer drawn out storylines are allowing character development and emotional pauses that this show really needed. Instead of all action and little movement and story development, it's some action with growth and storyline and a season that is building nicely. Everything just seems to run smoother to me, there is a nice flow to each episode as the story builds, that prior seemed patchy. The dialogue also seems more natural this season. Crane is always formal, but all of the dialogue for the characters just seems normal and what I would expect people to speak to each other like. Much less stiff and forced. More natural.

I think there are two more episodes before the mid-season break - this is leading to some very good stuff! So sad we probably won't get a season 4 - there is such good stuff being setup overall.

• Love 8

Grimm - Sleepy Hollow crossover would be kinda interesting...

I think Grimm comes on at 9pm? SH will be on at 8pm so it should work.

That would've been better than Bones and would've made more sense if they had been on the same network.

• Love 3

The good:

- No Betsy or even mentions of her!

- Possessed Jenny and Abbie.

The just ok:

- I find Ichy less annoying around Joe, but their conversations need to be more than about their love lives (Jenny and Zoe).

The bad:

- That kiss.

- The Nevin storyline is boring. Come back, Pandora!

- Daniel apparently setting up Abbie.

- Ichy. I mean, since he won't shut up, when I tell him to, it would be nice if he used that eidetic memory of his every now and then. WTF was that speech about fearing losing Abbie's friendship to a job promotion? Did he forget he disappeared for almost a year, without giving a crap about her? Not wanting a promotion for a "friend" doesn't seem very friendly to me, but, whatever, he probably meant he feared not having someone providing financially for him.

• Love 1

Really? I thought it was one of the best! Having Jenny be the stakes really raised the tension level.

It finally hit me which romantic model they're using for this show: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Jenny and Joe are Zhang Ziyi and the handsome thief; Abbie and Ichabod are Michelle Yeoh and Chow Yun Fat. One couple finding sudden passion as they pursue their lives of danger; the other two warriors whose love for each other will grow in silence until the stakes are at their highest and most dreaded.

I loved how this came out in the activities each couple pursued. Joe and Jenny are very physical; they engage in a sport that allows them to get close to one another, to touch one another. Ichabod and Abbie are involved in sparring too, but of the cerebral sort. JJ is text; Ichabbie is subtext.

In fact, juxtaposing the two couples in this way, and then again with the Mills sisters focusing on the work while the two men steal gazes at them and quietly discuss their relationships with them - well, I've been hoping for both JJ and Ichabbie, and I was pretty sure we were getting JJ - but I feel like this is the first time in the series where they were actually building a textual case for Ichabbie and not just leaving it to the acting and the Mison/Beharie chemistry.

Jenny Mills, you are a better and stronger woman than I. Did you SEE the arms on Joe Corbin?!! Dear God, if that'd been me in that ring I'd have been pinned more times than a donkey tail. Yowza.

• Love 22
I loved how this came out in the activities each couple pursued. Joe and Jenny are very physical; they engage in a sport that allows them to get close to one another, to touch one another. Ichabod and Abbie are involved in sparring too, but of the cerebral sort. JJ is text; Ichabbie is subtext.

Oh, I just love this comparison - spot on. Just perfect, Miss Dee.

• Love 8

Oh, yeah!  We didn't see much of him tonight, but Pandora's boyfriend is totally Spartacus' Peter Mensah!  He is awesome, and if anyone could serve as a big threat, it would be Oenomaus!

The Nevin stuff played out way differently then I expected.  Totally didn't see Sophie being a FBI agent coming.  And she was even assigned by Daniel, so he had deliberately kept that from Abbie.  Interesting!  Since Jessica Camacho is suppose to be upgraded to regular status soon, I guess there will be more this story-line and her involvement.

Really getting worried for Jenny.  Last time a character got possessed by a villain and forced to do their bidding, it didn't end well for them (Frank.)  Hope Jenny doesn't get put through too much pain.  At least she has Joe.  Looks like they already addressed their feelings, so hopefully that will be explored and they won't find some dumb reason to keep them apart.

Ichabod and Abbie were great as always.  Abbie beating him at chess was fun, and Ichabod confessing his fears, was a nice touch.

I'm getting tired of all the focus on Ichabod's love life and women falling for him, but I have to say that I kind of felt like the moment between Ichabod and Sophia, was everything the show actually was trying to do with Ichabod and Betsy.  No way am I saying it's true love or anything, but they had a fire in that scene that is really lacking from any of the other attempts they've done with Ichabod and someone else.  Not sure if it was because the writing wasn't trying too hard here, or if Jessica Camacho is simply a better actress then Nikki Reed.

• Love 4

I have been saying all along they've been laying the ground for some larger story.  The girl being a Fed was a great surprise and what a slap in the face to Abbie, especially given how much her career means to her and how much she is trying to balance it all.

Love how the Jenny/Jo and Abbie/Ichabod stories have converged.  Again, something I suspected was going to happen.   The four of them together make such a good team.  This is the second time Ichabod and Joe have had extended scenes together and they work really well off each other.  And i do like how they encouraged each other to talk about what is really going on in their heads with their respective Mills. 

Of course Jenny and Joe are much less complicated than Abbie and icahbod.  Did NOT see that kiss coming, but was kinda happy it did.

I DID like Ichabod admitting how many fears he has not the least of which is losing Abbie.  He rightly feels that her job is the biggest threat to him.  And even so, I love how upset he was on her behalf when he realize that Danny had blind-sided her.  The Art of War indeed.

Hmm, no Busty in the flashback?  Dare we hope that they have realized she just isn't working and have dialed her back?  Also zero mention of Zoe.  Hmm.

The Jenny stuff is really interesting.  Loving how much stuff Lyndie gets to do after being MIA so much last season.

• Love 7

So Pandora and new big bad are "betrothed" or something? That's why she called it a dowry.

That's what I'd been wondering when she mentioned the dowry and then I really started considering the possibility when  Pete Mensah was cast as an upcoming significant villain,  because it sounded like he'd be a regular. I am very glad that they seem to be going there. 

• Love 1

I thought next week's preview was the fall finale.

An okay episode. I didn't see Sophia as an undercover FBI agent. I did chuckle when she told Crane that he came off as a bassist from a British rock band.

I did note the Indiana Jones and the X Files nods. Since it's Fox, maybe a little wink to the upcoming X Files eps in January.

Don't know if Jenny's 'turn' will be real or just her being 'undercover' to see what Pandora is truly up to.

Ichie does have a reason to worry for Abbie and her job. He needs to find his own job - maybe that'll happen when he becomes a US citizen. Abbie doesn't come across as anyone's doormat.

Did like the Abbie, Ichie, Jenny and Corbin all working together as a team. And some movement in this season's arc.

• Love 2

I really liked the ex-soldier connection between Joe and Ichabod. The two men play off each other well and the different vibe between the two of them is terrific.

Yes, to the comment about the tougher side of Crane. Yum. He's always so courtly; his being a little, uh, physical with the new girl was, honestly, kinda hot.

No Betsy! Yea!

• Love 12

I really liked this episode!  Loved the Joe/Jenny kiss, the Joe/Ichabod conversation, and the huge surprise that Sophie is an FBI agent!  I didn't see that coming AT ALL and I love it when a show can make my jaw drop.  I actually said, "Oh my God!" out loud when she revealed her identity. 

I'm an unrepentant Ichabod/Abbie shipper and their chemistry continues to be the reason I'll watch the show until its conclusion, which, after episodes like this, I'm hoping will be quite awhile in the future.  This one was exciting and fun and most intriguing.

• Love 6

Really enjoyed this episode.  Loved the scenes with Jenny and Abbie and Joe and Crane early on and glad Joe and Jenny are a couple, even thought it doesn't look good for Jenny at the moment.  Liked getting another villain in there, even if he was working for Pandora.  Ichabod and Sophia did have some chemistry together.  However, I was very disappointed when she turned out to be an FBI agent.  I liked the idea of her being a crook much better and thought they could have gotten more mileage out of that than making her another FBI agent.

I think this season has had an increasing sense of excitement, I'm really enjoying so many bread-crumbs coming together. I love that and I thought there was a great sense of momentum in this week's plot, both within the episode and for the seasonal arc.  I thought it was excellent. I wish the season had kicked off with something that had a similar sense of excitement rather than an episode that was a relative dud, though I did find things to enjoy in it.

I have to wonder if the investigation of Nevins is straightforward law enforcement work or if it originates in an X-files type special division that Daniels may or may not know about, in an "above his pay grade" sort of a way?

The twist with Sopie, the undercover agent could have very bad implications for Crane's attempts to achieve citizenship. It was an awesome twist, BTW.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 4

This was a really good episode. Creepy and suspenseful and no romantic entanglements - except for Joe and Jenny, but I like them together. The Daniel Boone segment kind of changed the episode, but I can't complain. The writers didn't use Betsy this week. Maybe they are realizing that it is better to use different characters. No stupid texting either. Not even a mention of the Zoe the dull interest.  

• Love 6

Great episode! Seems like all the pieces are starting to come together. I'm wondering though if Sophia was working as closely with Nevins as it seems what does she know about the Shard and about Pandora and the demons and other mysticism in SH. If she knows, what does Daniel know? He always seemed like he was hiding something.

This is getting more intriguing. Bodes well for the rest of the episodes. I can only hope this leads to a 4th season.

Edited by Criminey
  • Love 1

I thought the monsters/special effects were finally up to par. No more vague smokey suggestions, we're back to the fleshy stomping around types again. I did worry, though, that they would get powered from the "shard blood" rather than defeated by it. After all, Jenny absorbed it, so why wouldn't they? Also: "shard of Anubis" makes me laugh every time. Just the idea if a "mystical shard" alone is giggleworthy, but then Anubis is a dog-god, right? So "dog shard"-- I dunno. I usually just accept whatever magical stuff this show wants to sell me, but I laugh every time they talk about The Shard.

I liked the episode, though. I really did.

• Love 2

Oh Crane (aka Mison), you really, really shouldn't hold a vial of blood in your mouth like that. Like, I am sure Jenny is healthy and clean and all that and it's a prop, but it's supposed to be a vial of blood and there is a reason why people wear gloves in the medical field. Joe did, but not in the forest, but I just cringed when I saw him doing that. Just...no.

• Love 2

I have been saying all along they've been laying the ground for some larger story.

I've thought that all along too, DearEvette, which is why I've been loving S3.  Someone posted previously that this season is smarter than it seems, and I agree.  The show has slowed down the pace in order to tell a larger story and explore character development.  It's like a mystery story, one has to pay attention to the real clues buried underneath. 

This season has a lot of misdirection going on. Jenny links Sophia with Corbin, we take our cue from her only to find out it's the FBI.  Pandora seems to not only just release a MOW also forgets them.  Then last week, we discover demon had its own "tree task" and she didn't care what happened to them because Crane and Abbie cleaned up.  Words are thrown out and seemingly forgotten - Pandora hasn't said "dowry" since the first episode -  and now suddenly we have Jenny kneeling before Zod (LOL).   This is exactly why I posted I'm not discounting why SBR! seems a very modern SBR! and Zoe's little Ich crush.  I believe there's a larger meaning behind them and I for one, am willing to wait to find out what it is (even though SBR! remains on FF).

It finally hit me which romantic model they're using for this show: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Jenny and Joe are Zhang Ziyi and the handsome thief; Abbie and Ichabod are Michelle Yeoh and Chow Yun Fat. One couple finding sudden passion as they pursue their lives of danger; the other two warriors whose love for each other will grow in silence until the stakes are at their highest and most dreaded.

Saw the movie. Get the reference.  Love it.  Bring it.

Guess my Friday's are now spoken for. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 9
The show has slowed down the pace in order to tell a larger story and explore character development.  It's like a mystery story, one has to pay attention to the real clues buried underneath.

This is so true.  I think I mentioned earlier that this is not S1 type of storytelling.  But that doesn't make it uninteresting on it's own merits.  The show is telling a very good story.  And yes, kudos to whomever caught the whole 'dowry' thing.  It makes sense now why Pandy got her hair did and was putting on her good pearls.  She was about to be married to her God.

And I think Sophia being FBI adds all kinds of dramatic possibilities for Abbie.  Abbie loves being in the FBI, she loves the possibility of being a rising star in the dept. And she loved the idea of being Danny's fair haired girl.  Sophia upends all that now.  Is she the 'diamond in the rough' the FBI guy was talking about, not Abbie?  Is she the one being groomed for bigger things instead of Abbie? And how much of the supernatural stuff is she aware of?  Does this tip the scale for Abbie so that she no longer feels the need to be so ambivalent about her Witness stuff while pursuing her FBI stuff? 

Also enjoying how Ichabod is still very committed to his citizenship and saving the archives.  It is a small little story that I feel might still have some bigger character payoff in the end. 

So yeah, I really feel there is a good story happening here that should not be missed or dismissed under the disappointment that Ichabbie isn't happening fast enough.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 8

The writers didn't use Betsy this week. Maybe they are realizing that it is better to use different characters. No stupid texting either. Not even a mention of the Zoe the dull interest.

It's usually a lot better without them.

• Love 3

I think this season has had an increasing sense of excitement, I'm really enjoying so many bread-crumbs coming together. I love that and I thought there was a great sense of momentum in this week's plot, both within the episode and for the seasonal arc.  I thought it was excellent. I wish the season had kicked off with something that had a similar sense of excitement rather than an episode that was a relative dud, though I did find things to enjoy in it.

I have to wonder if the investigation of Nevins is straightforward law enforcement work or if it originates in an X-files type special division that Daniels may or may not know about, in an "above his pay grade" sort of a way?

The twist with Sopie, the undercover agent could have very bad implications for Crane's attempts to achieve citizenship. It was an awesome twist, BTW.

I totally agree. There is a sense of excitement and lots of speculation of what means what, where the various stories are going, etc. This X-Files special division you mention, you have to wonder now.

You mentioned what I was thinking later last night and wanted to post here. Sophie is an undercover FBI agent and Daniel put her into the field. This is his op. She has been undercover for 6 months, and would regularly report back to Reynolds. She would know of all of the supernatural stuff that Nevins is involved in, that he had a connection to Corbin Senior, that he looks for these mystical artifacts. AND he knows, straight from Abbie, that she was close to Corbin. So how much of this supernatural stuff does Reynolds really know about. Does he have a hint about the strangeness of SH - he did request the assignment. What about how close Abbie is to these supernatural things going on in SH. Couple that with Abbie disappearing at weird times, and her partner, "Dr. Strange", Reynolds lets on more than he has.

And I think Sophia being FBI adds all kinds of dramatic possibilities for Abbie.  Abbie loves being in the FBI, she loves the possibility of being a rising star in the dept. And she loved the idea of being Danny's fair haired girl.  Sophia upends all that now.  Is she the 'diamond in the rough' the FBI guy was talking about, not Abbie?  Is she the one being groomed for bigger things instead of Abbie?

I was thinking that too. Initially we were to believe that Abbie is the agent the Senator and Reynolds were talking about. I think the diamond in the rough was Abbie, but then the Senator (or Daniel) mention that she's being watched - she was being watched by Sophie. So who is the one being groomed for bigger and better things? On the surface it looks like Abbie, but maybe she's being used by Reynolds for a bigger purpose.

Also, this comment about Abbie loving the FBI, and being Daniel's "fair-haired girl'. So dead on. I don't think she realizes or had adapted that this isn't SH PD small potatoes (anyone catch the X-Files reference!). Yes, they are fighting against the ultimate evil that will destory humanity, but it seems to be concentrated in the little town of SH. By comparision, the FBI missions are really on a much "grander" scale. This is what's making it tougher for her to balance Witness duties with FBI agent work.

Great episode! Seems like all the pieces are starting to come together. I'm wondering though if Sophia was working as closely with Nevins as it seems what does she know about the Shard and about Pandora and the demons and other mysticism in SH. If she knows, what does Daniel know? He always seemed like he was hiding something.

This is getting more intriguing. Bodes well for the rest of the episodes. I can only hope this leads to a 4th season.

That's what I really like about it - hints and misdirections, words here and there that mean one thing, but really mean another. It's a puzzle. That's why I think CC is really good in this. He's found his groove, found his story (the entire season is mapped out, so he knows exactly  A --> B --> C.)

BR or Zoe is irrevelant to me, but as Miss Almond said, they are there for another purpose, that hasn't been revealed yet. Just like the Sophie reveal.

Also: "shard of Anubis" makes me laugh every time. Just the idea if a "mystical shard" alone is giggleworthy, but then Anubis is a dog-god, right?

Hee. Anubis is the Ancient Egyptian God of Mummification and of the Afterlife. He has the body of a man, and the head of a jackal (now, some are saying it's the head of a wolf). Many ancient Egyptian burials that shows murals on the wall depicting the journey of the Pharoah in the afterlife, may have shown Anubis. But think about the context. Nevin's needs to get the shard for something. The Shard of Anubis is the shard of the afterlife. Pandora disappeared into a tree to get someone who looks like he's been dead a while, or at least is ancient. That shard will most likely be needed for this person's resurrection. When he emerged with that robe covering his head, what looked like bandages on his hands, I was getting The Mummy vibes. Imhotep, is that you?

So yeah, I really feel there is a good story happening here that should not be missed or dismissed under the disappointment that Ichabbie isn't happening fast enough.

Yup. Exactly it. DearEvette, dead on! Step back and think about how fast Jenny/Joe went from "friendly" flirting and drinking in the park to him declaring his "intentions". Three episodes. Four? This is episode seven. And this one had tons of let's be honest, shippy vibes. There was a direct comparision between Joe and Crane here, to the point that while Joe could be thinking Crane's thinking about Abbie "platonically", that conversation didn't seem it. Simply because if one is thinking about their romantic feelings for a woman, then why would that person look to another, and think about the "friendly' feelings. Didn't make sense. It could be ship-teasing, except Cliff hasn't done any of that this season, which is good.

But shipping aside, the story unfolding is interesting and twisty and fun. The shippy is a secondary element at this time. It enhances or guides along the story, it is NOT the sole story. The Jenny/Joe showed that. Because of their search for the shard, Corbin Jr. wanting to know more about Senior, working together to help Abbie/Crane, they got closer and developed love for each other. That's the journey this season too - possibly - for Crane and Abbie. We're seeing pieces unfold as the season goes on, but it is something that will come out of the main story arcs.

It's a journey and I am really enjoying the journey this season.

• Love 6

Oh, Happy Day, no Boobsy Ross or boring Zoe!! Team WTF being awesome, hell yeah!

Danny's boss was played by the guy from Roseanne, right? Jackie's baby daddy? I think he may be a bad guy, in league with Pandy and her man. Or he's a Mason and totally down with the fightin' of evil. I think that would be an interesting choice actually, having folks in positions of power who are descendants of folks from Ichabod's time and know about things both seen and unseen.

Joe ships Ichabbie!!

• Love 4

This is what was missing - twists, turns and surprises. Kudos to CC & Company. Except for Joe/Jenny, I didn't see any of that coming.

Ah, but the twists and turns are there, we just haven't connected them yet.  But the clues are there, waiting to be revealed. 

• Love 1

Huh?  Why did the title of this thread change?  And what does it mean?

ETA:  Okay, either I'm having hallucinations or someone is playing with the board.  Now I'm seeing the original thread title. 

ETA2:  I see that the title I saw is the one on the official Previously TV review linked above.

Edited by Sparkling Beth

Oh, Happy Day, no Boobsy Ross or boring Zoe!! Team WTF being awesome, hell yeah!

Danny's boss was played by the guy from Roseanne, right? Jackie's baby daddy? I think he may be a bad guy, in league with Pandy and her man. Or he's a Mason and totally down with the fightin' of evil. I think that would be an interesting choice actually, having folks in positions of power who are descendants of folks from Ichabod's time and know about things both seen and unseen.

Joe ships Ichabbie!!

OMGosh - having an FBI big wig be a Mason and connected to all of this and bringing that all back would make me SO HAPPY.

• Love 5

Thoughts before reading other posts.
Warning, this will be super positive. Gasp!

The awesome:
- PLOT DEVELOPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!! I was scared that we would not see Pandora and what she's up to this episode. I am super intrigued by the new villain and what their plan is. Bring Hell to Earth? Make their own garden of Eden? What is their angle? I can't wait to find out and having fun of the possibilities.
-Twist! Sophie as FBI was a stroke of genius. AND, it's a twist that allows to expand the universe instead of reducing it while giving many more plot roads to explore. Good job team. I think I like the new writers better aside from Heather Kadin and the Chalsen/Graves duo. Their episodes just have more flair and excitement to them. And they seem to do research while still being creative with lores.

The metal:
-Action Ichabod. I like when there is more emphasis on the fact that he was a soldier as well as a scholar. I really like that he has been more badass the last three episodes.
-That fight between Jenny and Joe... I believe we have a new Mr BAMF.
-The Berserkers were cool and we got good action sequences and action spoof out of it so that was great.
-Everything about the hidden one's appearance. Dude looks scary as fuck. Season 1 blurry Molock potential? Maaayyybeee.
-Possessed jenny was intense, I liked it. And Lyndie's shift in tone when being taken over by the shard is great.

Go team!:
-The moment where Abbie was pissed about Joenny sneaking to Nevins' and Ichabod interceded to let her cool off. It had such a "I can't even right now...you deal with them" feel to it, and I loved it. And Joenny looked like they were being scolded by their parents for sneaking out, it made me laugh.
-The sequence with them putting the blood on the Berserkers' backs was so Mission Impossible,I laughed. Nice coordination in the prep for it too.
-Juxtaposition of the chess match and the sparring. It was great to see how both halves interact, compare and contrast. I also like when the show remembers that Abbie is a smarty-pants too.

Aawwww moments:
-The scene with Ichabod being a grown man and articulating what had him so bothered lately. I appreciated that for once Abbie's reassurance felt like she took his concerns seriously and had his back because she values him. And her trying to look tough when she clearly was touched was adorable. And I really appreciated him explaining why he has been so vehement about the present this season because it made no sense to me tat he was more outraged than ever before after two years here. I like that he admits it's out of fear and that he doesn't want to lose what's important to him, and that includes his best friend. It was owning up to his shit, apologetic and respectful. All in one small scene. That's all I ask for (alright, it's not but I am feeling super fluffy right now, ok?).
-Joenny; I was weirded out by the idea at the beginning of the season but they are hot and cute together so I shall allow it. And those arms...sigh
-Abbie/Jenny moment when she was taking care of her? My heart swelled. I love their sister bonding moments.

The curiouser and curiouser:
-So...Danny knows about the supernatural, right? And it seems like here is a group in the government monitoring the events in SH. World building! Can the masons be involved? Or a good coven? Or another secret GW/FF founded organisation? This could be so exciting and that's why I LOVE the Sophie FBI reveal. I also want to know how involved they are in watching over the witnesses, they clearly have an eye on Abbie. Is that how Corbin was drawn to her? Heck, is that why he knew Booth? Because of his FBI relations? This gets my mind spinning and I love it! I am calling it, Daddy Mills is part of the people who are keeping an eye on SH and its supernatural goings on.

Shallow goodness:
-Nicole looked super cute this episode.
-Tom was extra handsome (the facial hair was on point) and even sexy in the Sophie altercation...*Eyebrows wiggle suggestively*.
-Joenny (I don't know if you can tell but I really like this ship name) both looked super in shape. Jenny in her boxing gear and Joe, I repeat my earlier sentiment: those arms...sigh.

• Love 8

Just finished the episode....and I really liked it! the show is finally getting some forward motion...I don't know if the show is going to survive with its current ratings,...but this viewer is sticking with it until the end...my favorite part of this show has always been the Mills sisters and their bond....let's see what happens when daddy mills arrives.

• Love 4

You mentioned what I was thinking later last night and wanted to post here. Sophie is an undercover FBI agent and Daniel put her into the field. This is his op. She has been undercover for 6 months, and would regularly report back to Reynolds. She would know of all of the supernatural stuff that Nevins is involved in, that he had a connection to Corbin Senior, that he looks for these mystical artifacts. AND he knows, straight from Abbie, that she was close to Corbin. So how much of this supernatural stuff does Reynolds really know about. Does he have a hint about the strangeness of SH - he did request the assignment. What about how close Abbie is to these supernatural things going on in SH. Couple that with Abbie disappearing at weird times, and her partner, "Dr. Strange", Reynolds lets on more than he has.

See I don't think Sophie knows anything about the supernatural stuff, or she's pretending not to have that knowledge. When Nevins pulled the Norse poem, that was really a spell, to take to Pandora's cave to raise the 'rage monsters' Sophie seemed completely bewildered by what he was doing. She even asked him with confusion how he planned to get the Shard back by reciting some poetry. She was only undercover for 6 months. I don't think that short time frame would've been enough for Nevins to trust her enough to tell her the true nature of his business. That's not to say that someone in the FBI or affiliated with the FBI, i.e. the Senator Danny went to see or maybe Danny himself, doesn't know the true nature of Nevin's business and are merely using Sophie and even Abbie for their own agenda, unbeknownst to them.

I was thinking that too. Initially we were to believe that Abbie is the agent the Senator and Reynolds were talking about. I think the diamond in the rough was Abbie, but then the Senator (or Daniel) mention that she's being watched - she was being watched by Sophie. So who is the one being groomed for bigger and better things? On the surface it looks like Abbie, but maybe she's being used by Reynolds for a bigger purpose.

I don't know about this. Upon re-watch I kind of  think the diamond in the rough is Sophie. When I think about it, there is nothing rough about Abbie. She's always been on her game. Was known to the FBI to have solved a great number of cases in Sleepy Hollow before going to the FBI herself, per Booth in the crossover episode. She already has a corner office at the FBI and the local director is leaving her in charge when he goes out of town. I'd hardly call that a diamond in the rough.  IMO, though we've only seen very little of Sophie, diamond in the rough seems to fit her better. She doesn't seem to have anywhere near the success Abbie has in the FBI. However, she was brought in on this "needs to know only" uncover op  by Danny, an operation that Abbie was excluded from. With this, it seems as if Danny may put a little more stock into Sophie. But then the senator mention that the 'diamond' was being watched too, which only made sense that he was referencing Abbie, but then who knows, that could've been a throwaway line to keep the audience guessing.

I do think it's very telling that Danny is the one driving this sting against Nevin and not some higher up in the FBI.  Of all the cases out there, why try and take down someone who deals in stolen ancient artifacts? I know it's a federal/international crime and that he's trying to solve a big case to catapult his career to new heights, but it just seems rather suspect considering where he's now the FBI Director i.e. Sleepy Hollow. I wouldn't be surprised if we learn that he is working for some entity himself, good or evil, and therefore has his own reasons, besides career success, for wanting to bring in Nevins,

• Love 4

-The scene with Ichabod being a grown man and articulating what had him so bothered lately. I appreciated that for once Abbie's reassurance felt like she took his concerns seriously and had his back because she values him. And her trying to look tough when she clearly was touched was adorable. And I really appreciated him explaining why he has been so vehement about the present this season because it made no sense to me tat he was more outraged than ever before after two years here. I like that he admits it's out of fear and that he doesn't want to lose what's important to him, and that includes his best friend. It was owning up to his shit, apologetic and respectful. All in one small scene. That's all I ask for (alright, it's not but I am feeling super fluffy right now, ok?).

You know, I would have appreciated this scene more if it wasn't for all the bullshit that came before. Ichy has done little but whine and complain relentlessly every single episode, resulting in Abbie having to comfort him or calm him down. Every time she has had to put her own concerns and her own life aside, to make everything easy and comfortable for him, so seeing him whine about the lack of progress with his citizenship and the archives, when his girlfriend is helping him with that, comes off as shallow to me. In theory, I could empathize with him, but how long has he been back? A few weeks? I know he wants things easy, but this is ridiculous. Even worse is his fear of Abbie getting a promotion and leaving. Where does that come from? Where was that fear during the long months he was gone and didn't bother to contact her? He makes no sense.

I didn't see it as owning up to his shit or apologetic or respectful. He just doesn't want Abbie to have her own life or be happy. The smug look on his face, when they realized Daniel had lied to Abbie, was more than enough, to convince me of that.

Frankly, I'm just tired of always seeing Abbie in the same position, always comforting him and catering to his needs with little to no reciprocity. I know it's too late to change this dynamic, but just because he dropped his clown schtick, it doesn't make things better. If anything, the imbalance keeps getting deeper and deeper.

The bad:

- That kiss.

Uch, yes. It's not that the actors are bad, and Lord knows they're pretty, but I just can't get behind this chemistry. It's like watching first cousins being forced to be each other's dates to prom and slow spotlight dance to Breathe's Hands to Heaven or something. Just--my spine gets all crepe-papery at the notion.

But aside from that, lots of good here--Pandora's back, Abbie's not as on top of things as her control-freak heart would wish, or even in the same room with said things, Jenny's finally so magical that Corbin would be impressed if he weren't dead, FBI agents turning up in the craziest places! And of course, the bonus gift of no wan Zoe or Boobsy Ross, Historical Re-enruiner! No episode without those two in it can be all bad. 

I can just see the throwdown between Danny and Abbie: "You sent my surveillance team WHERE???" "Well, why don't you ask YOUR LITTLE OL' DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH???"  as everybody else in the office cringes and tries to pretend they're not recording everything on their phones. Hee hee. 

Also liked the brutal physicality of the Berzerkers--these giant meat sacks that have absolutely no purpose but their mission and it seems like everything you throw at them is exactly what they want; as if you were shooting at an enemy and they got to keep the bullets and shoot them back at you. I actually felt bad for the last one when he was lying there all torn up and bewildered, knowing he'd failed but having no comprehension why. 

• Love 4
I actually felt bad for the last one when he was lying there all torn up and bewildered, knowing he'd failed but having no comprehension why.

OMG, you actually just broke my heart with this sentence. I felt the same for that poor Last Demon Standing (well, lying down). Felt similar to season 1's poor Golum just trying to protect his friend he was bonded with and wasn't able to protect in the very end. So sad.

Other parts I enjoyed but forgot to mention: Loved the Soldier-Experience bonding scene between Crane and Joe. Nicely done. Different wars, but the experiences are the same. I liked the juxtaposition of how as soldiers, they knew exactly what to do when following orders, compared to the chaos of their lives now.

Jenny and Joe kickboxing. Nice.

Upon re-watch I kind of  think the diamond in the rough is Sophie. When I think about it, there is nothing rough about Abbie. She's always been on her game.

Reason to me Abbie is the Diamond in the Rough, is that I think Reynolds is testing her, to see how trustworthy she is NOW as FBI agent since he's joined SH. He's been testing her these past few episodes. First, he gave her full leeway to run the investigation concerning the kids in that tooth fairy episode to see how'd she do. Next episode offered her the opportunity to head up the task force. Now, he leaves for Washington and puts her in charge. But remember the previous episode, he was angry with her for allowing her sister near the Nevins op, and possibly compromising it, yet he gives her another chance. Plus, Abbie is new in the field. Sophie has already proven herself, hence being put into an undercover situation. You wouldn't put an untested unpolished agent in the field undercover for at least 6 months, without knowing what to expect from them and what results they will get. Plus, the Senator said the "diamond" was being watched. Sophie was keeping tabs on Abbie and Crane (and Jenny and Joe) with regards to the Nevins case - she always popped up in a timely manner. Just my intrepretation.

To me, the flip of Sophie being the diamond, is the polished FBI agent in a "rough" enivironment. Of course, we don't know yet about the ulterior motives of Senator CSM (sorry, Senator whoever) and Reynolds and what's really going on yet.

I don't think that short time frame would've been enough for Nevins to trust her enough to tell her the true nature of his business. That's not to say that someone in the FBI or affiliated with the FBI, i.e. the Senator Danny went to see or maybe Danny himself, doesn't know the true nature of Nevin's business and are merely using Sophie and even Abbie for their own agenda, unbeknownst to them.

Good point. I have to rewatch that part, to see if she dropped hints earlier on. Wish I could rewatch the previous encounters with her (damn you, DVR!). She must suspect something, or wonder why Nevins, and before him, Corbin Senior and Jenny were/are only going after these weird "magical" artifacts. She knows of Nevin's previous partnership with Corbin Sr., selling them for profit on the open market, yes, but why only stuff like that - not "regular" things like jewellry or coins or whatever is not embued with magic. I think she;s hinted at knowing a bit more. I think Reynolds and Senator whoever knows about the supernatural more than WE know at this point. The full extent of that knowledge will be revealed later on.

The one thing that stood out to me, is that once Sophie revealed she was FBI, and cuffed Nevins, she told Abbie, Crane and Joe they had to find Jenny right away. The reaction I actually expected - is her being really pissed off at Abbie and co that her op was blown. But she wasn't at all. She was more concerned with Abbie/Crane/Joe getting to Jenny ASAP. On the surface, it could be to save a life, but I think Sophie knows more of what's going on, i.e., why getting to Jenny immediately was so important - to prevent Pandora's plan to raise whatever that thing was.

• Love 5

I liked the episode better than last week. It was solid, with pretty much the same amount of time spent on every major character (and thankfully, no Betsy Ross and the Stalker Girl!). Great interactions between Abbie and Jenny and between Ichabod and Joe. The Berserkers, of course, looks ridiculous, but the story itself was so fast-paced that the silly makeup wasn't as distracting as I thought.

Pandora's Evil Husband looks so obviously evil with the black cloak and the prophecies that it kind of went in the opposite way for me in terns of him being menacing. I hope they will improve in the future. Poor Jennie, though.

By the way, i hope the follow up on Joe/Jenny is not going to be some sort of creepy magical pregnancy. I don't care about the ship but it was done at the very convenient moment for this to go somewhere into a body horror place.

Congratulations to Tom Mison for having chemistry with everyone, including Joe, Sophie (woooooooow, that was hot!), the Alien Nation extras and random poor trees but having zero chemistry with Nichole Beharie. Ichabod/Abbie exchange in the end was waaaay forced, and Beharie's mind was elsewhere, it seemed.

I must say this version of Ichabod – awkward, brilliant and badass – is my favorite version of Ichabod.

Reading through the comments makes it pretty clear to me that chemistry is in the eye of the beholder.  I think both Joe/Jenny and Ichabod/Abbie are hot, hot, hot.  Others are denying seeing any heat at all.  It's interesting how we all assume everyone will see the same things we do.

• Love 8

Reason to me Abbie is the Diamond in the Rough, is that I think Reynolds is testing her, to see how trustworthy she is NOW as FBI agent since he's joined SH. He's been testing her these past few episodes. First, he gave her full leeway to run the investigation concerning the kids in that tooth fairy episode to see how'd she do. Next episode offered her the opportunity to head up the task force. Now, he leaves for Washington and puts her in charge. But remember the previous episode, he was angry with her for allowing her sister near the Nevins op, and possibly compromising it, yet he gives her another chance. Plus, Abbie is new in the field. Sophie has already proven herself, hence being put into an undercover situation. You wouldn't put an untested unpolished agent in the field undercover for at least 6 months, without knowing what to expect from them and what results they will get. Plus, the Senator said the "diamond" was being watched. Sophie was keeping tabs on Abbie and Crane (and Jenny and Joe) with regards to the Nevins case - she always popped up in a timely manner. Just my intrepretation.

I have to agree with this.  Sophie didn't say she had only been an agent for six months, she stated she was on this particular case for six months.   To me that sounds like an assignment for a seasoned FBI agent.   I believe Abbie is the diamond in the rough who showed much promise (thus her rapid rise) and is being tested for even greather things.  This time, however, things are different.  This time around being a Witness is also in the picture.  Once Daniel finds out what went down, things are going to hit the fan. 

Reading through the comments makes it pretty clear to me that chemistry is in the eye of the beholder.  I think both Joe/Jenny and Ichabod/Abbie are hot, hot, hot.  Others are denying seeing any heat at all.

There are a lot of things this season that seem to be in the eye of the beholder.   But I'm with you on the hotness of these two couples. 

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 2

Loved this episode and can't wait for the mid-season finale. I think the show is foreshadowing a major meltdown for Abbie. Jenny called Abbie a control freak and this episode focuses on how little control Abbie has over everything in her life with the exception of Crane. Jenny and Joe don't listen when she tells them to stay away from Nevins. As a result Jenny is taken away from Abbie, which will bring back memories of their childhood. Reynolds is testing/manipulating Abbie by dangling career advancement in front of her like a carrot and Sophie is revealed as FBI and part of an inner circle that excludes Abbie.

Although Crane is following Abbie's lead this season, she's pushing him away the way she did this episode when he tried to tell her he's afraid of losing her. Abbie immediately broke eye contact and I think that's why Crane added the promotion bit. Abbie reenaged at that point assuring him that Jenny, she, and Joe will be their for him.

I think Ichabbie (Abbie especially) are seriously off their game because they're in avoidance mode about everything that has happened and instead of dealing with the fallout, Crane ran off to Scotland and Abbie ran off to Quantico. Both are struggling with their partner dynamic now that Katrina is no longer an emotional barrier. Crane is looking for a way back in, but Abbie has shut down and will most likely come unraveled soon.

As for Reynolds and Sophie, I don't think either knows about the supernatural aspect of their investigation. Reynolds doesn't understand Abbie and Crane's relationship, and he seemed surprised when the director mentioned Abbie being on the radar. The director was talking about Abbie because her first FBI boss said basically the same thing. Reynolds will also be surprised and angry when TPTB limit any damage to Abbie's career caused by her actions. As for Sophia, she's making weak threats to scare off Jenny and Crane because she's feeling superior as an FBI agent in the know, which I don't she would do unless she's clueless about the supernatural element.

• Love 6

The smug look on his face, when they realized Daniel had lied to Abbie, was more than enough, to convince me of that.

If you're referencing the moment they learned Danny didn't tell Abbie about Sophie, I respectfully disagree. When it was revealed that Danny had Sophie working undercover and had failed to tell Abbie, Crane's expression was that of utter shock. IMHO there was not even a hint of smugness on his face.

Good point. I have to rewatch that part, to see if she dropped hints earlier on. Wish I could rewatch the previous encounters with her (damn you, DVR!). She must suspect something, or wonder why Nevins, and before him, Corbin Senior and Jenny were/are only going after these weird "magical" artifacts. She knows of Nevin's previous partnership with Corbin Sr., selling them for profit on the open market, yes, but why only stuff like that - not "regular" things like jewellry or coins or whatever is not embued with magic. I think she;s hinted at knowing a bit more. I think Reynolds and Senator whoever knows about the supernatural more than WE know at this point. The full extent of that knowledge will be revealed later on.

The one thing that stood out to me, is that once Sophie revealed she was FBI, and cuffed Nevins, she told Abbie, Crane and Joe they had to find Jenny right away. The reaction I actually expected - is her being really pissed off at Abbie and co that her op was blown. But she wasn't at all. She was more concerned with Abbie/Crane/Joe getting to Jenny ASAP. On the surface, it could be to save a life, but I think Sophie knows more of what's going on, i.e., why getting to Jenny immediately was so important - to prevent Pandora's plan to raise whatever that thing was.

Well she did express concern over her cover being blown, stating that Reynolds was going to 'lose it' when he learned that her cover was blown. She sent them to find Jenny because she said that Nevins was not working alone and had likely had more people looking for her. I think as far as she knows Nevins is after Jenny because he's trying to get the Shard back or make her pay for stealing it. I really think she's oblivious to the supernatural stuff.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2

I liked it. It  wasn't the most awesome episode in the world,  but it worked and it had some moments I really loved. Joe/Jenny,  for  example. Shipped them since the beginning.  And I also like what's happening to her. I mean, it's interesting and it'll put the Witnesses and Joe in a difficult place.

I agree that this  was the plan since the beginning. To me, it was pretty obvious that Pandora wasn't just  throwing random monsters to the Witnesses. I know this show lost a lot of credit last season -rightfully-,  but I still think most of the things we're seeing will make sense in the long term. Also,  Abbie doesn't seem to mind that Ichabod hasn't got a regular income, so I don't mind either. I don't think the show sees that as a problem.  It's  like  Hook  in "Once  upon a time",  he doesn't work either.

Reynolds and the  other girl became  interesting with this new  twist. I  wonder if they really  know what's going  on. Also, I don't know if Reynolds is one of the good guys, but his boss is evil,  I'm sure. 

• Love 3