Type keyword(s) to search

B&B: What's Up Today at Forrester Creations? - Daily Chat

• Start Topic

I don't see it as a zero-sum game. It's possible to look down on Maya without necessarily supporting Caroline. I think they've both been wrong for various reasons at different times.

I meant the characters, not necessarily the posters here. Thanks for pointing that out so that I could be clearer.

I think calling her a racist because she is nasty to the woman who is after her husband a bit if a stretch.  And could someone please explain why "Myrna" is racist? She's calling her by a name that is similar but incorrect to show that she is insignificant...and not insignificant because she is black.  Yeesh

That's exactly how I see it. 

• Love 5
I actually felt bad for Wyatt today and was glad to see Ivy comfort and remind him that he lost a child too.  Was it just me or did her eyes scan over his face as if she was seeing him in a new way?  Maybe there will be some chem testing with these two or a teasing of a relationship?

Definitely not just you.  That moment had me thinking there was going to be a lean in for a kiss or something.  I do wonder if they're thinking of going that way.  With Hope gone and Steffy coming back, it seems like they might want to go with Liam/Steffy and Wyatt/Ivy.  

I see her as a racist. If you look at the name Myrna, which makes me cringe whenever I read it. Caroline dismissively insisting on calling her the wrong name is akin to seeing Maya as the help

I've seen the whole intentional incorrect name thing a lot, although typically in guys, when they're being dismissive of some other guy who the girl they like might be into.  It's a kind of cocky, "you're no competition for me," thing, but I've never seen it as racist (or seen it used exclusively towards someone of a different race).  

I do think Caroline is a "class-ist" towards Maya, but I don't think it's about race.  I think she knows that the whole being "good enough" for the Forresters issue is a hot button for Maya, and she wants to undermine her confidence.  And, again, the "good enough" isn't about race, it's just about Maya coming into this situation from a "wrong side of the tracks" type background, including a stint in prison.  If the Forresters weren't white, but still were this powerful, wealthy, "old money" kind of family, the issue would still be there, I think.  

At least, I'm assuming they're "old money."  But, I'm a relative newbie here.  I just get that impression. 

• Love 5
I guess all kinds of things can be seen when you're specifically looking for them, though.

I don't have to look for them; they get put right in my face on an almost daily basis. It's perhaps not easy for people who probably don't have such experiences to understand.

This is a popular soap opera and presumably TPTB behind this show don't intend to insult a probably not insignificant portion of their audience. They seemed to have changed some issues that have been complained about here and on other forums so AFAIC the Myrna thing is another easy fix. There are other ways for Caroline to show her disdain for her husband's sidepiece without crapping all over certain characters, actors, and some audience members' cultural heritage. Especially now that the show has been advised that it is a problem. (I'm very confident people involved with the show read this and other soap forums.)

I'm going to give the writers the benefit of the doubt and assume they were trying to have Crinoline give Maya the "Bye, Felicia" treatment. Problem is, I'm not sure that works across racial lines unless the people involved are very good friends, which in this case they most certainly are not.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 2

OK, we are WAY off topic here. This discussion has gotten too heated and people with valid points are not being listened to. We all (should) know that soap history with POC is TERRIBLE. So while some discussion of it is on topic to the soap itself it's not on topic for the daily discussion thread. If you want to talk (CIVILLY) about race depiction on this soap in particular I will ask that you start a topic for it. This is gone on for a few days and I'm going to delete any further discussion of this here. Everyone needs to take a step back and cool off. This is a very sensitive subject and everyone needs to tread lightly. 

• Love 3

How sweet of Pam; she has never liked Wyatt, but she was trying to make him feel better. I like that. And I agree with the earlier comment about Wyatt and Ivy; I definitely picked up a little somthin, somthin between them today. Certainly more than she has with Liam, a hook up I have never been 100% on board with; they are cute together, but I have always felt they were the convenient paring, not the best pairing. The writers needed someone to make Hope jealous, and Ivy was there and in the right age group. I hope they are testing them, that would be great because then Liam would be available for Katie or Quinn. What I don't want to see under any circumstances is a W/I/L triangle.

They should name Ally the new face of HFTF. She is beautiful, she is fresh, and she fits the "message". I don't see any way Hope can come back and resume that role.

I am so disappointed Ivy allowed those two renegades to bulldoze her. Of course she is not in possession of all the facts; she doesn't know anything about Rick's "plan", nor does she know Eric gave Rick an ultimatum. What I would like to see happen is at one of their FC's board meetings that have any number of random folks present; Eric makes the announcement that he is going to turn complete control over to Rick. Then he goes on to wax poetic about how proud he is of Rick, and how he has recommitted himself to Caroline, and his marraige. And just when he has pen to paper Ivy chimes in that "you can't do that Eric; Rick and Maya are having an affair!" Oh, the sweet karma of it. I could also go for Caroline getting suspicious, something she should already be, and following Rick on one of his late night jaunts to the office. I actually think I like that better because it would leave no doubt for Caroline what type of person Rick is, and would allow her to completely unshackle herself from this loser.

I'll let Maya have her smugness, and her delusions. Reality is going to feel like a really hard bitch slap.

Ashleigh Brewer has one of the most beatiful mouths I have ever seen.

LG has really come into her own and I think that she really could be the next great heroine of the show.  I never found KM all that great of an actress, pretty to look at but not much else; with LG I am riveted to her scenes.

This! I couldn't stand the character at first, but she has morphed into a character I look forward to seeing; I felt the same way about Brooke in the old days. I would love to see the focus of the show shift to Caroline as it's heroine, and now would be the perfect time with Hope MIA.

Funny how having both Logan women gone can be like opening up with the windows and letting some fresh air in.  I don't miss either of them either.  I like KKL just fine, but this break from her has been wonderful!

I hate to agree with this, but I must. I could do without Hope all the time, but Brooke has always been my girl, and I can't believe I have hardly given her a second thought since KKL's departure.

• Love 6

I hate to agree with this, but I must. I could do without Hope all the time, but Brooke has always been my girl, and I can't believe I have hardly given her a second thought since KKL's departure.

I think the show functions better without Hope and Brooke, which is sad because I've been Team Brooke against the world for as long as I can remember but I don't miss her one teeny bit these days. I think all the Brooke/Bill stuff is what did it. I would love it if Brooke was an intelligent woman who exuded sexual presence and glittery hoo-ha and all that but never ever betrayed her family. I can't get behind what she did to Bridget or Katie, it's like c'mon lady, there are at least 3 men in love with you at once can't you pick ONE that isn't heavily involved with a relative?

Definitely not just you.  That moment had me thinking there was going to be a lean in for a kiss or something.  I do wonder if they're thinking of going that way.  With Hope gone and Steffy coming back, it seems like they might want to go with Liam/Steffy and Wyatt/Ivy.

They're going to have to have something planned because Steffy's just doing a drive by right? Perhaps her arrival is to shove Ivy into the arms of Wyatt while Hope is away then establish a prominent triangle until Hope returns for February sweeps?

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

I said they Myrna thing bugged me months ago for the connotation it has for ME as a black viewer (watch Roots for an explanation of calling black people by other names than the ones they were given) watching the show and especially with Caroline being the snob that she is. In addition, Caroline was crappy to Maya BEFORE she was Rick's wife, so yeah...the whole argument about her being mean to her husband's mistress doesn't change how she acted BEFORE the marriage. 

Edited by venusnv80
  • Love 3

That whole dog parade business was a complete waste of time and Fred Willard was getting on my last nerve. Even Ally Mills looked annoyed and I don't think it was just "being in character." I am a cat person, but if I had a dog, I'd probably pick a Yorkie, so that first dog was a winner for me. When I saw that (beautiful) Afghan Hound, all I could think of was, "Please Pam, not that one. Think of all of the brushing and vacuuming..." LOL! Choosing a pet is a very personal experience and it really isn't right to just gift one to somebody who may or may not be ready.

If I were Ivy, I'd hook up with Wyatt. He seems so much more fun and outgoing than Waffles. As a bonus, he (so far) has a proven track record of being loyal to one, and only one, woman. Ivy and Liam just miss the mark for me. They don't have any real chemistry and the whole thing seems forced. It was like Bell said, "Here are two single young people. Therefore, they are a couple."

Hopefully, this will be taken with (intended) humor and levity. Rick, Maya and Caroline are a junior varsity triangle compared to this:

• Love 5

Isn't everyone more fun and outgoing than Waffles? I didn't even see a personality until he started dating Ivy. Maybe the actor is as sick of the triangle of death as everyone else seems to be.

I didn't realize Pam was choosing a dog throughout this fiasco. All I heard was "All these dogs are ugly" then I saw they were indeed ugly and fastforwarded. I'm a pug fan myself, or even a huskie or one of those little dogs that looks like an ewok would suit me better. Never did fancy a collie or dashund (sp).

Edited by slayer2

Fred Willard was in Dotty Grandpa who thinks his tired jokes are funny territory but I did chuckle when he 'wagged his tail' in anticipation. Nice to see Pam getting some play! As for Ivy vs the Dynamic DuhOh, WHY do they think she's not going to say anything to anyone? Her job? Which she doesn't really NEED now that she's got all this HFTF publicity and buzz?

Maya needs to be introduced to the concept of keeping a low profile.

Rick is just like his sister, as soon as Choice A disappoints, turn IMMEDIATELY to Choice B. Don't take a day or two to drink or eat iced cream and cry, destroy some barware. No, do not let even FIVE MINUTES pass before you are hot n heavy in a new relationship.

• Love 7

That's technically everyone one this show though, at least Rick/Maya have a history and something to draw from this time around. Most relationships on this show begin and end faster than Britney Spears' first marriage with no lead-in and no history whatsoever. Batie being the rare exception. Slowburn on this shown is lighting a match and watching it fizzle out.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 2

I don't want to step on any mod toes here so apologies if I'm speaking out of turn, but I would like to suggest that we shelve the racism subject - we had the same discussion a couple of weeks ago and it looks like we're all talking in circles about it, so maybe we could live and let live on that one?

ETA: whoops missed your post radishcake. Derp!

"You'll be boomeranging back to Australia faster than you can say Didgeridoo"?? Oh, spare me.

Pam & Wyatt made me cry a little.

I remember that mess. Which is why I can't with Eric. Ass out on a ledge, only reuniting with his wife as a means to an end, but then he puts his son in the same position?

Devil's advocate would say that Eric has learnt from that particular mistake* and doesn't want Rick to make the same - he said something similar when he made the ultimatum in the first place.

*lol jks Eric never learns

The only sense I can make of the effed-up timing (and it's a stretch!) is that I lived in NYC for 11 years and it was perfectly normal to be starting the night at 10 pm.

That would make sense to me if she was going out, but she was just going to someone's apartment! To look at it.

Maybe it was a housewarming party?

So, Carter is clearly going to be hooking up with someone. Maya's younger sister? Donna? Ivy?

Me?

A girl can dream.

First off, I thought Carter & Ridge we're going to get it on. Carter kept taking off his shirt and then putting in another one again. All the while, asking for Ridge's opinion. If it walks like a duck, um,well, you know what I mean.

A girl can dream.

And why is the CEO's office also used as a design studio?

Before it was *~*~*The CEO's Office*~*~*, it was Eric's office. He used to be a designer too. (You'd be forgiven for forgetting.) They even used to have mannequins in there too, and rolls of material, and pins and pin cushions! Like a real designer's office!

I wonder what happened to Kristen's office, the one that was attached to Eric's by the door near the fireplace. That had an intercom in it and in the very beginning Stephanie used it to eavesdrop on Eric & Margo. I wonder why they don't use that storytelling device anymore?

ETA 2: Revenge of the Edits: whoops I had it back to front - it was Margo's office and Stephanie eavesdropped from Eric's office. Derp x2!

Someone up thread mentioned that Eric should find out in a big, major way, and as a result, he develops some sort of health issue. So, here is my scenario:

Oooh, RuntheTable, me likey.

Even the dogs looked embarrassed to be a part of that corny mess today.

For real. I love dogs, but nope.

Merry Christmahanakwanza everyone! Hope everyone has a bold & beautiful day ;)

Edited by St3phForrester
  • Love 8

I really thought that Pam was going to choose bachelor number one, Bernie.

I'd have a tough time making a decision, they were all so cute! That Afghan was gorgeous. I was impressed that Pam resisted and admitted to not being ready.

Edited by ByTor
  • Love 3

Devil's advocate would say that Eric has learnt from that particular mistake* and doesn't want Rick to make the same - he said something similar when he made the ultimatum in the first place.

*lol jks Eric never learns

I remember when he said that, but, to me, you can't teach a lesson learned from coercion by participating in coercion.  That's some J. Walter Weatherman mess.  God forbid he sat Rick down and had a serious conversation about some of his motivations, why he felt justified in doing what he did, why he figured out it was a bad idea and the consequences he suffered and damage he caused.  But no, just, "Do this, or else."

• Love 2
I would love to see the focus of the show shift to Caroline as it's heroine, and now would be the perfect time with Hope MIA.

It must be in the works, Caroline seems to have inherited Hope's extensions.

I'm liking the recent change in dynamics, Wyatt and Liam on the backburner, Ridge and Katie imploding, Carter changing shirts mid-conversation, and Rick becoming Machiavelli.  Hope's departure has really improved the show.

• Love 6

I'd have a tough time making a decision, they were all so cute! That Afghan was gorgeous. I was impressed that Pam resisted and admitted to not being ready.

I liked that they went with her not taking one now.  As someone mentioned, the various animal groups generally discourage giving pets as gifts (especially surprise gifts).  So I like that the message there was that Pam wasn't ready and shouldn't get a new pet on any timetable but her own. 

• Love 6

I'll take the dog show over The Hope Show any day of the week. 

Seconding (or thirding?) Wyatt and Ivy together.

Merry Christmahanakwanza everyone! Hope everyone has a bold & beautiful day ;)

What St3phForrester said!  Best wishes to all of you, and thanks for all the snark!

• Love 7

Merry Christmas to all my fellow posters!

I wonder if Maya intends to fess up to Rick about her little tete-a-tete with Othello? Given how unhinged he is about Ivy knowing, I can't imagine Rick would be thrilled to learn that Maya has been flapping her gums to someone. Friend or no, Othello is still another person who knows, and like that old saying "you tell two people and they tell two people". I think it would be spectacular if their combined stupidity is what eventually outs them. 

Edited by RuntheTable
  • Love 5

No snark for today's episode. Good for B&B for putting human stories front and center and treating them with dignity.

Nice to have Karla singing on the show again. You could see her Hi-5 experience on display when all of those kids came up on stage with her.

• Love 6

No snark for today's episode. Good for B&B for putting human stories front and center and treating them with dignity.

Nice to have Karla singing on the show again. You could see her Hi-5 experience on display when all of those kids came up on stage with her.

Agreed. Loved hearing from everyone, that was strangely optimistic,you don't get that often from TV nowadays. Wonderful. Well I best get to wrapping! Merry Christmas! Edited by slayer2
  • Love 5

Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates, and Happy belated Chanukah, Festivus and anything else I may have left out.

Today's ep was very moving, I may have had some leftover onions from last night's latke-making, which is why my eyes were leaking.  Yeah, that's it.  JY was personable and sensitive, and non-dickish, unlike the character he portrays.  So were the rest of the cast as they broke the 4th wall.  And Karla has a lovely voice.  Damn you, show for making the unlikeable characters likeable.  Must be those leftover onions again....

• Love 4

Do they do this every year?

They have done it the last couple of years that I recall.  Stephanie and Brooke were the pioneers.  Stephanie took Brooke there to help out and that is how they met Dayzee.   

This episode was really touching and moving. I'm a new viewer and truly appreciated this. Do they do this every year?

It resonated with me very much. Each of these people showed real bravery and dignity by speaking about their experiences. I think it's really important to show the real people who are marked by poverty and homelessness, and to lift away the stereotypes.

Please forgive me for going off-topic, but I'd like to explain why this episode touched me so profoundly. I left home at 16 due to an abusive home life. I dropped out of high school and struggled on my own for about a year and a half before I got an apartment in subsidized housing and went on social assistance. There were many times I was close to becoming homeless. I also used food banks for a while. I lived in social housing for about 10 years and was able to return to high school and go on to earn 2 university degrees. I am so thankful that my life is much better now. I became a monthly donor to my community food bank. Earlier this month, I did an interview with local TV news to talk about my experience using food banks and what it was like during that time. It was part of a week-long series about the food banks in my community and the people that use them. It was not an easy thing to do but my objective was to help take away the stigma associated with poverty and food bank usage. Also, if I was able to encourage one person to reach out for help or motivate someone to donate then it was worth speaking out.

Mods, if this is too far off-topic please delete this and accept my deep-felt apologies.

I'd like to wish everyone the very best of the Christmas season.

Congratulations!  And thanks for a wonderful share!                           ......those damned onions.....

• Love 8

Very nice show, and so well done. I like these shows for many reasons, one being the chance to see the actors outside of their characters, and functioning as just everyday people. And it was nice to hear Karla's lovely voice again! I so wish they had worked her marvelous singing into the show; maybe instead of HFTF spokes model, as someone who writes and sings signature songs for the different lines. Or maybe both.

catalogrrr, your post resonates very strongly with me. I have never been in your situation, but I have devoted my life to helping the underprivileged and the needy. Outside of monetary donations, I have spent many, many hours in soup kitchens, and homes for the homeless. A few years ago I convinced my employer to start a monthly program, where each department/group donates food items for a local food bank, and the one that donates the most gets something special. Maybe a half day off with pay, or lunch on the company, or gift cards. To date it has been a smashing success; and I would like to think it is making a difference.  

I love your story and that you shared it with us. It gives me hope and the motivation to keep going.

• Love 14

catalogrrr, your post resonates very strongly with me. I have never been in your situation, but I have devoted my life to helping the underprivileged and the needy. Outside of monetary donations, I have spent many, many hours in soup kitchens, and homes for the homeless. A few years ago I convinced my employer to start a monthly program, where each department/group donates food items for a local food bank, and the one that donates the most gets something special. Maybe a half day off with pay, or lunch on the company, or gift cards. To date it has been a smashing success; and I would like to think it is making a difference.

I love your story and that you shared it with us. It gives me hope and the motivation to keep going.

Thank you so much for saying this, RuntheTable. The work that you are doing in your community, with your colleagues, is exactly the kind of thing that warms my heart. Know that you *are* making a difference and making someone's life better with your acts of kindness and compassion.

Edited by catalogrrr
  • Love 9

Okay, I cried the whole episode, I ain't gonna lie. Seeing the actors engaging with the community was great and I'm so glad they were doing it as themselves rather than as their characters. I hope B&B do it every year from now on. catalogrrr, thank you for sharing your story and it's wonderful to hear things are better for you now, and RuntheTable, have a virtual pat on the back from me for what you do for the cause. And everyone involved in charity and goodwill, God* bless you all.

*or Allah or Vishnu or the Flying Spaghetti Monster or whatever is applicable to you!

And because I need something to stop me falling into a heap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag3K7UZaOR0

• Love 9

Oh man, guys. I'm not a Rick and Maya hater. I don't love them like I did before, but they don't offend me now. That being said, I'm over that bathtub stuff already. I was basically over it the first time, but I am going to be so annoyed if this is a thing now. They need to spend less time in the bath and more time thinking about ways to make it less glaringly obvious that they're having an affair.

• Love 4

I'm angered by watching such inept liars. Rick, just tell Caroline that you're in counseling to figure out why you reacted so strongly and the doctor suggested that you shouldn't have sex for awhile.

• Love 4

You'd think that, after they've already been seen once (by Ivy), Rick and Maya would wait until he's through the door and it's closed before they start kissing.  These two are clearly way too stupid to pull this "sneaking around" thing off for much longer.  

• Love 8

Oh Rick and Maya, you're too dumb to be having an affair.  And has Maya the Honest, Supportive, Loyal, Ride or Die told her "Man" (god how I hate when she says that) that she's spilled ALL of the beans to Othello?  Granted, O doesn't interact with anyone until he's needed for a party set, but shouldn't Maya have cleared that with Mr CEO?

Did you know that Rick is the CEO?  And apparently there's some kind of papers he wants Eric to sign or something?  And then...World Domination!

I totally missed the Christmas episode, but for the first time ever I will go find that episode online because it sounds like it was amazing.

Hey, Hope is in Italy y'all?  Did you know that?  I thought she just dissolved into sparkly bubbles in her mom's yard.

• Love 4

This woman needs to have a seat. I like her description of why Rick hates Ridge. His mom and Ridge got married and divorced twice? Well, that's awfully simple. The only thing she's right about is Caroline not knowing what she wants. Telling Rick she feels resentment from him in one breath and saying she wants a baby in the next?

http://youtu.be/F9KgigzoNkc

• Love 2

Oh man, guys. I'm not a Rick and Maya hater. I don't love them like I did before, but they don't offend me now. That being said, I'm over that bathtub stuff already. I was basically over it the first time, but I am going to be so annoyed if this is a thing now. They need to spend less time in the bath and more time thinking about ways to make it less glaringly obvious that they're having an affair.

Me, I'm looooving the tub scenes (not surprisingly) but I think unfortunately that it's old footage. They really do need to stop making out in the hallway though, classically stupid.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 1

Why does Maya look straight into the camera when she says the words "Forrester matriarch." She's done it twice now. Is there supposed to be some kind of significance to that?

Meanwhile, what was that white shaggy thing she wrapped herself in? It looked like a bath mat. Whatever, you almost want to feel sorry for her and how delusional she is about her future with Rick, at FC, and within the Forrester family. Just wait until Brooke gets back...

• Love 2

As tired as I am of Caroline's groveling, I didn't get the same vibe from her last plea to Rick. Instead of that desperation I used to pick up; that seemed more like a person who has hit the wall, and they are going to stop pretending everything is ok, and they are going to ask the direct questions now. I have this terrible, awful feeling that Rick realizes he still loves Caroline; breaks it off with Maya and truly reconciles with Caroline, then something will happen to out Rick's duplicity. Caroline will now be done with him, but then will turn up pregnant (too much baby talk). I have read some spoilers that say

Maya stuns Caroline. Maybe Maya spills the beans out of anger? Maybe we will have some Fatal Attraction?

I love that Ivy is direct, and will ask the tough questions, but the very fact she had to ask speaks volumes. And of course Liam gave absolutely no discernible answer, as he spoke with his waffle mouth. Ivy should cut her loses here. And run.

• Love 8

I think that Rick's plan will work (only God knows how, though). There's been too much build-up and he's done too much "scheming" for him to stick around otherwise, when his true intentions are revealed.

• Love 1

This woman needs to have a seat. I like her description of why Rick hates Ridge. His mom and Ridge got married and divorced twice?

Holy smokes, is that not the most simplified description of Ridge and Brooke's relationship ever!

Someone a few days or weeks ago me toned how ridiculous this feud with Ridge is over Brooke. She bears just as much responsibility for that toxic bullshit he and Bridget were put through by continuing to sit and wait for his proclamations as to whom he would pick, among other things. Rick N.Sane wasn't entertaining the last go-around with an actor that wasn't a Commander Data stand-in, and it isn't now. But at least he's "punishing" those that wronged him and not using innocent folks this time.

• Love 2