Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: Best Served Cold

After being reunited with her former love Julian, Lily hosts a dinner party to introduce him to Damon and Stefan and to declare peace between her family of Heretics and the residents of Mystic Falls. Damon and Stefan find themselves at an impasse when they realize they have differing views on how to handle Julian's arrival. At the party, Bonnie and Matt uncover a strange mystery involving some unsuspecting residents, while a devastating revelation causes Alaric to reach his breaking point.

Promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7OK6zigRR4

I wonder what's going to cause Alaric to reach his breaking point. I dunno if anyone addressed this on this week's episode thread but could Not Jo be Lexi? I remember she was stabbed in the heart by Damon... It's a wild guess but it would be a good one! Remember in the season 5 finale that one conversation between Alaric and Lexi? I'd be all in for that!

• Love 1

I think it's got to be that the babies are alive again too and have vampire souls.

It makes sense because Jo's body came back to life and I can't imagine that poor vampire wanting to carry the babies and deal with the pregnancy on top of everything else... So naturally the burden goes to Caroline, because she has absolutely nothing to do aside from obsessing over Stefan. Ugh... At least it'll give her something to do!

I seems that in order to retrieve a "soul" from the stone, it had to have been placed there. Lexi was killed and her "soul" was on the Other Side before it collapsed. She could have come back through Bonnie, but she didn't want to risk killing Bonnie.

I know I know I was just looking at a best case scenario cause I liked Lexi and always wished she returned instead of Enzo...

He did promise Valerie he wouldn't tell anyone, right? I don't know that I would have made that promise, but if I did, I wouldn't break it to tell the girlfriend I've been seeing for all of 5 minutes. That and it's Caroline. She's not exactly what I'd consider to be mature. 

Of course, the reality is that he's not telling her because it creates drama. Tired drama, but that's what the writers excel at so...

I remember when I thought that Ric's life couldn't possibly be any more messed up - thanks for proving me wrong, episode! The flash forward with Alaric and Caroline seemingly engaged to each other was a heck of a surprise seeing as, you know, Alaric kind of murdered Caroline's father, albeit not knowingly. (Also, his goodbye to Flo/Jo was wrenchingly heartbreaking)

Was I the only one shouting "just tell Damon!!" whenever Stefan was on screen? I find it really hard to believe that he thought that Damon would make a sarcastic comment about the death of a baby. That's just way too cold.

Lily, your parties and boyfriend both suck.

• Love 3

Matt Davies really brought his A game tonight.  Tragic.

The spoilers were in fact reliable, and now we have preggers vampire Barbie, and Ric is Carolines mystery fiance- I didn't guess that part. 

Also Ric invited Damon in eventually, but their relationship still seems somewhat strained, which saddens me, as much as it intrigues me.

What is with the compelled zombified townsfolk??>

No lie y'all I LOVE Julian, he's great, a totally fabulous villain, who is just a garden variety asshole/psychotic with no personal vendetta at all, just pure selfish-murdererl. Plus the actor gives me major Guy Pearce vibes. I'm glad Lily is mostly full of shit about her sons and does still love them enough to even put them before Julian (her response was nicely unexpected), BUT I still hope he stakes her through the heart after killing the lesbian vampires. Sorry tv Lesbians I can't think of single one of you haven't wanted to see dead (okay not true, I like Orange is the New Black's lesbians). 

Why again did the Gemini coven choose Caroline as Jo's twins surrogate? Like was she even there at the wedding? Maybe that's why because she wasn't.

I know it's a thing they've done a million times but Damon backing up Stefan when he told his story about Julian, Unborn Baby Killer, was nice. As was their deduction that Julian was just another version of Papa Salvatore.

OH and BATT, who had more chemistry in this small interaction than Enzo and Bonnie have working over time with the tie straightening. MEH.

Otherwise, this was my favorite episode all season, Julian I love you, you fabulous charming bastard,  kill everyone in Lily's family save the Salvatores!

Edited by blixie
  • Love 1

Well it's about time Caroline and Ric got together!  I mean who hasn't been pulling for those two crazy kids since season 1??  And by crazy kids I mean an eternally 18 year old vampire and her highschool history teacher, who was the guardian of her currently comotosed best friend...... Sigh

Also, have secrets ever turned out well on this show?  By this point they all should be meeting for a nightly ritual where they share everything they learned that day so it doesn't come back to bite them in ass... as it has been shown to for 7 seasons. 

Oddly I'm really enjoying Damon this season.  Usually I find him too over top but he is one of the few things I like about this season.

• Love 7

No lie y'all I LOVE Julian, he's great, a totally fabulous villain, who is just a garden variety asshole/psychotic with no personal vendetta at all, just pure selfish-murdererl. Plus the actor gives me major Guy Pearce vibes.

Ooh, yes, Guy Pearce! I know someone earlier said Julian reminded them of Klaus, and I thought the same last week, but now that I've seen Julian in action, that's a good call!

• Love 1

We still haven't see Matt in a flash forward, have we? I'm starting to seriously worry about him. Don't be sassing the Heretics, Matty. I want you to live!

The Alaric/Caroline thing is just too weird. Pregnancy? Okay, show. Engaged? Well, that's just too far! So many pairings coming out of left field. There's something about the way Damon said "fiancee" though that had made wondering if it's just for show. 

I really don't understand why Lily's "children" bother with her. Errand boy Beau is the only one that seems happy with the way things are. What's the incentive for Mary-Louise and Nora to be sticking around at this point? Looks like Daddy Julian being back will shake that up a bit, which is good because it doesn't make sense.

• Love 1

Well wow, Alaric being the fiancee I was not expecting and that was a perfect way to incorporate/write in Candice's pregnancy. 

This episode was pretty good and kept me wondering. If Caroline was the fiancee, I wondered what happened to fakeJo and the kids mother. Then when fakeJo was dying, I was wondering where the twins of Alaric's came from. Then by the end they answered all those questions.

I didn't see the Alaric/Caroline thing coming. That was a surprise. I hope it's a engagment of conveninece or cover or something. He was her teacher it just feels weird.

How can a vampire carry babies? I probably shouldn't even expect the show to explain it as anything other than magic but it just seems odd. Caroline's body is basically dead. She doesn't even really survive on human food. How are those babies getting nutrients?

I hate this show for sort of teasing BATT while basically letting us know it will never happen. Bonnie & Enzo's interactions aren't bad but I don't like that she's the one doing the purusing and falling for him.

Julian could be a potentially interesting villain. It's kind of refereshing to have the villain be a run of the mill vampire and not some weird creature we have never heard of until now.

Did Jo/Florence reveal something that should be important about the woman who stabbed her with a metal sword that shouldn't have been able to kill her? That seemed like it was meant to be something important.

Lily's terrible party was fun. I knew I would enjoy everything having to do with it as soon as Damon read her silly invitation aloud. Lily Salvatore requests your presence to celebrate our town's peaceful spirit and introduce a new friend. LOL. Who is this woman. She's filling a mansion with compelled humans and her emotionally manipulated "children" to "celebrate our town's peaceful spirit." Idk, something about that just cracks me up.

And what I found funniest about that was that Damon didn't even seem to think any of it was all that weird.

I liked all the Stefan/Damon moments, and always like Damon and Lily for some reason, and enjoyed Julian...Idk, there was a lot about this episode that was pretty good.

Tbh, I like it when this show focuses on family drama.

Oddly I'm really enjoying Damon this season.  Usually I find him too over top but he is one of the few things I like about this season.

Yeah, I feel the same way.

I even found it kind of endearing how he kept refusing to kill Julian. I think he mostly wanted to put off devastating Lily, tbh. Stefan pretty explicitly made Damon choose taking care of him over taking care of Lily in order to get him to come around to going after Julian now.

Although honestly, I doubt that six months with Julian would make Lily like him MORE. He's awful. She'd probably be more devastated if she lost him now, just when she's gotten him back, than if she lost him after six months of having to actually see him every day and put up with his violent psychopathic behavior.

I was pretty surprised when Lily got on Julian's case for beating up Stefan and Damon, though. She apparently didn't have a problem with Giuseppe getting violent with them back in the day, and she apparently doesn't have a problem with Julian beating Valerie so hard that she miscarried Lily's own grandchild. So it seems kind of surprising that she got so upset seeing Julian hit them now. But surprising-in-a-good-way. Idk, Lily's growing on me, I guess.

If he starts drawing pictures of horses, I'm out!

Honestly, I would be down for Julian drawing pictures of horses. But only if they're as awkward as Klaus's were. 

Though I feel like the subject matter of Julian's drawings would probably be darker. Klaus was always doing snowflakes, horses, cityscapes, maybe a tasteful nude. Julian would probably sketch a stake going through someone's heart or something.

How can a vampire carry babies? I probably shouldn't even expect the show to explain it as anything other than magic but it just seems odd. Caroline's body is basically dead. She doesn't even really survive on human food. How are those babies getting nutrients?

Yeah, I don't get it. Also, I could not care less about these random fetuses.

Kai is the only member of the Gemini coven who I actually find entertaining and would be happy to see again.

• Love 2

I thought TVD will be babies free but apparently not.

The twisted just came out of nowhere and I really don't know how to feel about it. How did Caroline not notice she was pregnant or at least show any signs/symptoms of said pregnancy? I honestly thought this show being a vampire show would mean CA would start to carry large bags but that is not happening now. Every Caroline ship has always ended weirdly which makes me wonder how does Caroline/Stefan relationship end?

Anyways, Damon and Stefan's relationship continues to be the highlight of this season. I also love how Matt and Bonnie are always off doing investigative work. 

I like that the Caroline/Stefan conflict wasn't totally one-sided. When she initially found out about Valerie and Stefan, she was unnecessarily jealous which I found annoying. But finding your boyfriend's ex-girlfriend strolling around his house in only a towel? That is a valid reason to get a little bit bitchy. I understand Stefan not telling Caroline about the baby because Valerie asked him to keep it a secret. I am all for being open and honest in relationships but that doesn't mean you have to tell the other person every single thing. You are still entitled to some privacy.

On the other side though, I would understand if Stefan wanted to talk to someone about just finding out he could have had a kid so I'm glad he told Damon. I know that Damon and Stefan don't always have the closest relationship, but I find it difficult to believe that Stefan really thought Damon would just make a sarcastic remark about the situation. I am going to pretend that Stefan was just making excuses because he wasn't ready to tell Damon before then.

One thing that really annoyed me in this episode was that Caroline has seen Bonnie do a lot of spells over the years. She knows that it requires concentration and focus, so it was really bitchy and stupid of her to keep haranguing Valerie about how the spell wasn't working. I know that was mostly a plot device to get her near the blood but it was still annoying to watch. I was yelling at her to STFU.

Part of me laughed that the main characters (Bonnie, Matt, and Caroline) are now supposed to be in their second or third year of college but somehow they keep getting sent back to the high school. So who set up the compelled zombie classroom? I'm guessing it wasn't Nora/Mary Louise/Valerie, which leaves Lily, Beau, Enzo, or Julian. I don't think Julian's efficient enough to get all that set up in the 24 hours since he was resurrected so that leaves Lily or Enzo. I suppose that answers the question of where Lily and her family have been getting blood, but I want to know where Stefan, Damon, and Matt thought Lily and the heretics would be getting blood once everyone left town. A few strays wandering in wouldn't be enough to sustain all of them.

Julian is very manipulative, sucking up to Nora, making Mary Louise feel insecure, etc. Whatever this big plan is that requires all of their cooperation, he already assumes they will all be on board because they love him so much since he already laid the groundwork. It seems weird that Valerie is the only one who ever saw the other side of him but I guess maybe he channeled his violence into slaughtering towns (which is vampire talk for fun). When he offered to let Mary Louise feed on the waitress, it confirmed my earlier theory that he likes to be the Fun Dad. Hee, I did love Nora showing him how to play Candy Crush though.

Well it's about time Caroline and Ric got together!  I mean who hasn't been pulling for those two crazy kids since season 1??  And by crazy kids I mean an eternally 18 year old vampire and her highschool history teacher, who was the guardian of her currently comotosed best friend...... Sigh

Ha, I know, right? To be honest, the Caroline/Alaric fiance situation felt less shocking than the Bonnie/Enzo one last week. I mean, they both got a hearty WTF from me, but somehow the Bonnie/Enzo one was more surprising.

Why again did the Gemini coven choose Caroline as Jo's twins surrogate? Like was she even there at the wedding? Maybe that's why because she wasn't.

Wasn't she off having farewell sex with Tyler in a barn? Or am I thinking of a totally different show?

she apparently doesn't have a problem with Julian beating Valerie so hard that she miscarried Lily's own grandchild.

Lily still doesn't know that Valerie was pregnant and that Julian beat her into a miscarriage. Valerie never told anyone until she confessed to Stefan. Right now Valerie, Stefan, and Damon are the only ones who know. Well, and Julian.

How did Caroline not notice she was pregnant or at least show any signs/symptoms of said pregnancy?

The coroner said he could only keep the body for six weeks and Alaric had Bonnie resurrect Jo on the very last night of the six weeks, which means Caroline has only been carrying the babies for six weeks. Lots of women don't realize they're pregnant that early so I think this is probably the most plausible thing about the entire Caroline is pregnant with Jo and Alaric's magical babies because the Gemini Coven stashed them in her womb storyline.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

As was mentioned upthread, I'd also forgotten that the heretics were Geminis so I was completely confused as to how Valerie knew what was going on with the babies. Although he managed to wipe out pretty much the entire coven, I'm still a teensy bit annoyed on Kai's behalf that not only was the Sleeping Beauty curse someone else's idea, but that a bunch of dying mumblers managed to save the next generation. 

The Bonnie/Enzo thing is just a little too out of nowhere for me. Not that long ago Enzo was assisting in the kidnapping of one of her friends. Whatevs, Lorenzo, let me help you with your tie while I make googly eyes at you.  

Lily's party was too funny. Yes, everything will go great when you invite a bunch of people who dislike each other to an event filled with a bunch of people who are only there because they've been compelled. Roaring good time!

question;

How can the heretics be from the Gemini coven? Kais death ensured the death of all the Gemini, and yet they are still around.

They are all already dead (and vampires), so I'm assuming that's why?

I think Caroline was the ONLY choice b/c at the time they were chanting she was the only non-Gemini female left at the wedding. When Damon couldn't get Elena to wake up Caroline and Stefan walked up and told him to get her to the hospital STAT! and then Kai broke their necks, so they were laying in the melee. Enzo came and took them out to help him try to get Lily out of the shipyard but per his narrative Kai had already killed himself and the Gemini were dying when he showed up so that would have been after the chant thing.

Also I don't think all the heretics are from the Gemini coven. They are all witches without their own powers but I never remember it being said they were all Gemini. When Jo told Damon and Elena about the heretics I never remember her saying they were all Gemini, plus I thought all the Gemini were from the same area in Washington so how would they have different accents. I still haven't figured out how Valerie was supposed to be in America originally but has a British accent. Lily met her in the sanitorium THEN they went to Europe.

Jo was several months pregnant and the massacre happen at least 3 months ago, how would Caroline have the babies inside her with presumably beating hearts and not know?

I do think Caroline and Ric are fake engaged b/c this hunter was using her to get to Stefan and Ric wasn't phased so I don't think he is actually in love with her. It is probably a ruse to parent the twins b/c I'm sure they need a mother and Caroline bonded with them while caring them. It would also give Caroline a cover to act human without having to fend off suitors.

Loved the Stefan/Damon stuff. Don't like Julian. Don't like any of these stories. The lesbians are the worst and I care not at all about their "relationship"ugh!

I'll sit alone at liking Bonnie and Enzo. I thought they had chemistry for the first time. Still like Enzo and Caroline better but I did think they have potential.

• Love 1

I finally gave up on the show last year, but I come on this forum to read how bad it still is.

For a show that has had amazingly stupid plots over the years, this has to be one of the worst. Equal parts gross and stupid.

All I can think is that Steven R. McQueen must be elated he joined Taylor Kinney on post-VD Chicago Fire to have non-hideous storylines. Paul Wesley probably drinks himself to sleep every night, counting the days until he directs again or is away from this insanity.

• Love 3

Funny. While, I haven't necessarily been pining for Caroline and Alaric to get together I don't really have a problem with it. Anything that might put the kibosh on Stefan/Caroline is aces in my book. Plus, this TVD there are almost no relationships that don't have some degree of fucked up to them. You can make fun of any relationship in that way. I mean who hasn't been rooting for Stefan and Caroline to get together. The teenage vampire getting together with the 150 plus year old vampire who used to be madly in love with her currently comatose best friend. 

Or who wasn't rooting for Elena and Stefan to get together from the beginning. The 16 year old human in love with the 150 plus year old vampire who used to date a woman with her exact face. Or Elena and Damon. Who wasn't rooting for the teenaged human, then turned vampire, to get together with the brother of the former love of her life. The vampire who tried to kill her brother. I could go on.

Alaric was Elena's guardian for a couple of years. It wasn't like he raised her. And, eh, he was her teacher. We barely saw those guys in school so it means very little to me when we're talking about a show where people get together with their brother's would be murderer.

• Love 1

I'll sit alone at liking Bonnie and Enzo. I thought they had chemistry for the first time.

If you want company, I'll sit by you, I thought the "let's make Lily jealous" thing was kinda hot.

Kai is the only member of the Gemini coven who I actually find entertaining and would be happy to see again.

I liked Jo...and I also wish Luke were here.

And color me stupid...when Damon made the "ball & chain" comment I thought he was Caroline's fiance!

• Love 1

@Doram, I think you are right. On rewatch, the scene where Valerie was watching the wedding vid, she says, paraphrasing, "I recognise that spell, that Gemini Kai kid thought they were sending him back to a prison world"

I think that implies she isn't a Gemini but recognizes or understands the chant. What do you think?

Anyhow, this was my favorite episode this season. I loved the dinner party, and all the Salvatore scenes even though I think it was contrived that Stefan didn't spill the beans sooner to Damon. I thought Stefan had moved past judging Damon and thinking the worst of him all the damn time, and I'm glad that he was proved wrong once again, since Damon acted with tact and support once he knew the truth.

The Salvatores are so much more effective when they are united, so I hope they get to kick some ass together soon.

Oh, the one liners, sass and snark were in abundance, and I was entertained by all from Bonnie sassing Lilly and Enzo, to Damon and Stefan sassing each other and Julian.

Alaric broke my heart, faux Jo was endearing, and I was just blown away with the emotion of it all, I surprised myself since I didn't feel all that connected to Jolaric last season.

Bonnie and Enzo in their fledgling romance was cute and believable (you are not alone @ Cattitude), both actors sold the hell out of their small scenes, and both looked stunning. Enzo scrubs up well and can wear the hell out of a suit and Bonnie would look stunning it a potato sack anyway, but she brought it tonight.

Speaking of Bonnie, looks like her and Deputy Donovan have stumbled on a new mystery! I wonder what thats' all about? Is it a human blood farm? is Lily behind this?

My head is spinning with all the about turns Lily is making regarding her sons. It would appear she still feels something for them, but states she doesn't, yet is the orchestrator of Damons and Stefans recent misery and pain. I don't understand her or care anymore, just get her gone.

Like others have stated, what hold does she have over her faux family, it doesn't make any sense unless they are sired to her or something. They are individually, and collectively more powerful than her, but they all seem so scared of incurring her wrath for some unknown reason.

Julian has potential. He is clearly bad and an expert manipulator. I love a good villain. His tears were clearly fake.

I'm intrigued by his agenda. He had one back in 1863 since he was desperate to leave for England on that boat, enough to kick the baby out of Valerie to ensure his plan had no inconvenient disruptions, and it is obvious he has one now.

The least said about Caroline and her impromptu pregnancy, the better. 

Edited by miss-vanilla
  • Love 2

I just can't with the Caroline pregnancy.

Lily's whiplash about her sons is not interesting. I hope Julian rips her head off.

Bonnie is just so beautiful inside and out that I can't understand why every man and half the women aren't nuts for her. If we could pare this show down to Stefan, Damon, and Bonnie, then carefully introduce some new characters, I could be very happy. They need to move out of Mystic Falls and go on the road to have supernatural adventures.

I like Not!Jo so much and Jo left me cold. Go figure.

Edited by chrisvee
  • Love 2

No, I think that's just wonky dialogue by the writers so that they can subtly remind the viewers about the Gemini coven and Kai without Valerie saying the dreaded, "As you know... Kai was a member of the Gemini coven, etc." Where they are basically having Valerie talk to the audience by telling Caroline and Alaric things they already know. 

But later on, when they are seated to do the spell and she's explaining about how twins are the lifeblood of the coven and the transfer spell, she says, "if a pregnant mother is in danger, the transfer is our magical failsafe." In that situation, she is clearly identifying herself with the coven. Plus just the fact that she knows so much about the coven that she can recognize their magic, and she knows what they value, etc. 

I don't know if the show remembers or cares to go there - but they made a point of Damon having a unique ability to sire vampires i.e. make vampires who are as slavishly devoted to him as Klaus Michaelson's hybrids were to him.  He did it to Elena, and he did it to some other vampire from his past. Since they linked Stefan's Ripper-dom to Lily's, they can feasibly use that to explain Lily's hold on her family - that Damon got his "ability to sire" vampires from his mother. So in a similar way, all the heretics are 'sired' to Lily and that's why they are so devoted to her.

Of course the whole theory of vampire abilities and DNA breaks down on close inspection, but what really holds up to scrutiny on this show? 

No, they stated that siring can happen with ANY vampire that sires anyone, and it only happens if those who were turned already care a great deal about the sire before they were ever turned in the first place. Klaus made the hybrids he sired slavishly devoted to him because they were grateful that he stopped them from having to go through the pain of changing every month by doing so.

So by this reasoning, maybe the heretics ended up sired to Lily because they already loved her so much. 

I doubt it, I think they just have this weird "We all hate each other's guts but are still somehow utterly devoted to each other" thing going on. They would probably get along really great with the Mikaelsons.