Type keyword(s) to search

The Bullpen

• Start Topic

Heh---maybe it's because I'm a few weeks away from turning 40 and hence find fewer people look 'old' to me than they used to, but I actually think JM looks great there. And I actually prefer his hair a little lighter like this than when he was dying it with what looked like dark black shoe polish :) 

• Love 1

I'm actually not opposed to that idea at all, Independent Mind! Watching Rossi have to adapt to a different phase of his career and life might be a really interesting storyline that JM could knock out of the park. Lord knows I'd prefer that to yet more stuff about veterans and Old Cases That Still Haunt Him, as poor Rossi has gotten virtually nothing else in his five seasons on the show :) And it might also be an interesting change in the group dynamic to have Rossi as an administrative overseer. I don't necessarily see his personality as a natural fit for that sort of role, but that could be part of what makes it interesting!  

• Love 2

I definitely agree with you there mistaken. Rossi is the age where for the sake of the show being believable, should not be running around chasing unsubs. Between him and Reid, Reid should be on the field all the time. Rossi is old. And that is the plain ol truth. There are just to many profilers in my opinion. If JT leaves and CBS insist on replacing her, then it just makes more sense to have Rossi take over Strauss' job. I much prefer him than Cruz. But if CBS decides not to replace JT, that is if she leaves, then Rossi can stay as a profiler. But at this point, and we have seen this for the past 3 years, there are too many profilers.

• Love 1

Joe is at that age where your looks start to fade in a hurry. Rossi was lying about Joe's age when he first came in, so it's no surprise Joe looks a lot older. I'm with you guys, and I've said it in many places before: I think Rossi should become the Section Chief, and they should get rid of Cruz. Except for the fact that Rossi has repeatedly expressed his contempt for bureaucrats, I think he would shake things up in bureaucrat land!

• Love 1

I'm thinking too that it must be inaccurate. Especially in light of the fact that CBS has been releasing press statement all season long bragging about how good the show has been doing on Wednesday nights 

The first episode of NCIS that I ever saw was the one where Kate died. My father started laughing his nonexistent ass off and my brother and I joined in. The way it happened was hilarious to us.

Rossi as the supervisor would be interesting, but I'm not sure how that would work out.

As for Lola supposedly wanting out of her contract, I read a quote from Ed once that indicated it might not have been entirely her idea. He mentioned something about CBS wanting to "shake the cast up" a bit. Lola never gave a statement when asked for comment, so I always suspected that she was told she would not be returning-- or maybe there was something mutual. I don't know. It just seemed odd to me. 

Mandy is just a prima donna who takes a jab at CM every chance he gets.

Apparently CBS has a long history of not telling actors when their shows are being canceled or when they are being fired. There was a sitcom in the 70s or 80s that was popular and one of the lead actors found out that the show was canceled when someone offered condolences and then explained that it had been announced in the trade papers. CBS didn't have the decency to inform the cast before going to the press.

In listening to yesterday's chat with JM, I noticed mentioned MGG would be directing again next year.  While it's possible MGG could be involved only as a director, it is, of course, unlikely.  So I took it as confirmation of MGG re-signing with the show.

zannej - http://criminalmindsfanatic.blogspot.com/2006/12/criminal-minds-lola-glaudini.html?m=1

Although someone told me from another board who was a big JJ fan and had inside connection that Lola didn't get along with both KV and AJ and that is why she left CM. Something about being unhappy that both KV and AJ became regulars on the show. I don't know how true that is but that is what I got from.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is true because I find it odd that when RN is asked about CM, she mentions only the guys and how much she loved working with them. I know that from her tweet last year she is still in contact with TG. One of her tweets, she thanked him for the pizza.

There has been no official announcement- and I mean from CBS or a reputable entertainment website- about Matthew and Jeanne's contract status. And I don't think this website remembered that Jeanne is up for contract renewal as well (or they don't care).  As of 10 April, their contracts weren't signed, and then Harry Bring stopped talking about contracts on 21 April. There has been no speculation in most media sites, unlike last year. It's possible all the contracts have been signed (or not, and it's a definite no) and the show is just keeping things under wraps until the up fronts next week. But the last time Matthew was negotiating his contract, he didn't sign it until late June. So honestly...not much will surprise me. 

(edited)

Jeaane signed a two year contract when joined the show.

On one of the boards the moderator mentioned that Harry V. Bring mentioned JT's contract being up after this season but assured fans that Matthew is not going anywhere.

Edited by IndependentMind
(edited)

And we have to remember that Matthew has always remained rather mum when it comes to his contract negotiations. Unlike certain cast members who weren't above using social network and having their agents leak bits of info in the hopes of gaining some kind of leverage in their negotiations.

Edited by missmycat

Daniel, JT's contract is up for renewal like MGG's is, so, although everyone seems very sure (including me) that he's coming back next year, most of us really don't know if JT is. I hope she is. I hope they are hinting about Cruz not returning. I want him gone and Rossi to retire from the field (it's unrealistic he's there anymore) and become Section Chief. Keep Blake, as she's the female Hotch, in that she serious and skilled, not just running around rolling her eyes and being a badass, or claiming she's a genius because she can get a computer to do a bunch of stuff.

• Love 4

Aw, what a shame. I really wish she could have success outside of CM. I really don't think they would entertain the idea of Emily coming back, even if they get rid of Blake (please don't let them get rid of Blake).

It's really hard to find success or be on another successful show after being on a hit show. It's why most of them stay on the show until the run ends. 

When William Petersen left CSI, he wanted to do theatre which he did. But after awhile, he wanted to come back on tv but his pilot did not get picked up. But he is lucky because he is still the EP on CSI so he makes money no matter what.

Same with Chris Meloni. After leaving L & O: SVU he has not done much. His recent show on Fox has been cancelled.

When Gillian Anderson ended her contract on the X Files, she wanted to do theater in London and did most of her work in the UK. Lucky for her,she is tremendous actress that she got great reviews for her plays and her BBC stuff that she did. And she made a lot of money on the X Files. And her being away from American Television, her come back has been really good even though "Crisis" isn't a success, having her face on american television again, got her fans and media excited. Plus having loyal X Files fans is such an advantage.I mean she makes $100,000 per episode on "Hannibal" as a guest star. And probably made even more for "Crisis". From what she said in an interview, she has signed on NBC. Hannibal was just renewed for a third season. Keeping my fingers crossed that she comes back on the show. And damn, I wish i could go to London to watch her play "Streetcar Named Desire", but it's sold out. 

I love Paget and I feel bad for her because her name isn't big enough to have the studio or producer call her and say "We have a show and we want you to be the lead. Or we want you to be a part of it."

I don't know that Paget isn't big enough, though I too wish someone had snatched her up right after she left CM. I hate that she's become kind of this 'cautionary tale' for those that might want to leave a steady hollywood paycheck. 

Although she has made a name for herself, it isn't big enough where someone wrote a show or character with her in mind. It's a tough business and even more so for women. 

But I read an article where Gillian Anderson said that more and more older actresses are coming to television because they have better material and roles for them than the movies. 

I think Paget would have a better luck doing a drama or procedural again than comedy.

I really hope she doesn't do another procedural. She's too much Emily for me there. If she wants to do comedy, that's fine I guess but I'd like to see her in a drama like you said. Maybe something family or supernatural/futuristic. She'd be great on SHIELD, wouldn't she? 

Oh heck yeah she would be great on SHIELD but they already have Ming Na. Maybe she can have a recurring role just like Agent Maria Hill. 

Well, ABC is doing a spin off of Agent Carter of "Captain America" maybe Joss can include here in the cast.

Well, Paget is a good enough actress to be able to play another character in a procedural where she doesn't remind people of Prentiss. 

We've just been talking about Agent Carter in the mod forae! SUPER excited - she's one of my main Marvel heroes. Also love Hayley Atwell. The show is gonna have two female showrunners, and the same actor who plays Tony Stark's dad in the films! :D REALLY excited, and would love to see Paget involved somehow. 

Yes me too. I am very excited.

It makes you wonder though, why certain female even at age over 30 or 40 are still in demand and they get work left and right and there are those who don't.

I mean look at Yvonne Strahovski from "Chuck", after the show, she did "Dexter", "Louie" and now "24: Live Another Day." I love her. She is a great actress. If she wasn't on "24" I would love for her to be on Agent Carter or SHIELD. It is strange though that she got a lot of roles offered after "Chuck" while the main lead there hasn't had much luck.

I just watched reruns of some of the Friends episodes with Paget this afternoon. Although I hated her hair, she is really good. I'd love to see her get something on television again. She's just so likeable.

• Love 1

Oh Zach Levi is one busy bloke. Aside from being "Head Geek In Charge" for the NERDHQ panels (and actually everything NerdHQ) at Comic-Con, he's been in a Broadway play, and promoting some kickstarter projects. He's also working with Operation:Smile, his charity for kids with cleft palates. I don't think he'd have time for a new series right now. 

• Love 1

Thanks for that info. I love Zach Levi/ I liked the movie he did with Sarah Shahi.

Those kickstarter projects are tough especially the movies. Getting funding is hard.

What i meant was that i have not seen him on television not have I seen him in any movies.

• Love 1

I love him too. He's really good friends with a lot of other men that I really enjoy, like Nathan Fillion and Tom Hiddleston - who is second only to Matthew in my eyes. 

• Love 1

Willowy - Have you seen those doodles for Neurofibromatosis charity that Gillian Anderson is very involved in? Her brother died from it a couple of years ago. It's on Ebay the doodles and people bid on them. GA would ask celebs to submit doodles and fans can bid on them. Nathan Fillion submits every year.

Its crazy how some fans would pay so much money. GA's doodle in 3 days is already $810 and there is 8 days to go. But ut's a good cause.

(edited)

NF follows GA on Twitter. That is so cool.

Sad as it may be, back to Paget, I do think there are certain looks that tv exec and movie studio looks for.

To be quite honest, I think she would do well in the UK.

• Love 1

I think another part of the problem with Paget finding work is that she openly criticized CBS. Even if it was justified, when an actor badmouths a network and/or the execs it can be off-putting for prospective employers. I know some people who worked in the television industry who found Paget's tirade against CBS to be unprofessional. I personally don't blame her one bit, but it wasn't exactly the wisest career move. She probably will never get anything big at CBS ever again. I'm hoping she will still find something.

Meanwhile Matthew is apparently doing a short film that is some sort of western. It's called "Desire". I think he will be very busy this summer.

Zachary Levi was entertaining in the NerdHQ stuff. I still loved Tom Hiddleston's impression of him with the message "I will personally punch you in the dick". LOL.

• Love 2

I don't know Erica, though as much as I love picturing your 'throne of lies' analogy (hee!), I don't really get that from her. That she's a liar. I think what happens is they plan things, she gets excited about them and blabs, and then things change. Whether it be from a physical production standpoint, a network notes standpoint, or an inability to write well or cast properly, who knows? I just always get the feeling of "Ok, well THAT didn't happen." instead of "Let's fuck over everyone and lie our asses off."

I trust Harry a lot. He is a very good judge of character, and a fundamentally honest guy. He's really well-loved by seemingly everyone he works with (to the point where he's become the go-to guy for a lot of bts bullshit that isn't even his job, just because people know he actually cares), and he talks about Erica like she's this really awesome and wonderful person and nobody really knows.

Do I think she's a good showrunner? No. I think she's far below the competency level of those that came before like Ed, Simon, and Jeff (who really IS a pissy diva, by all reports, even those from Teen Wolf, his other show). I wish that she was better at what she does, and that she hadn't gotten rid of a lot of people who's talents could have continued to make her look better at it than she actually is *cough*DebSpera*cough* . I just don't think she deliberately tries to screw us over, and I do think she has a real affection for the show and the cast/crew.

It's a shame that the love she has for the production doesn't compensate for the lack of skill she exhibits in running the show. :/

• Love 2

I do agree that I think Erica isn't deliberately prevaricating to the fans, but perhaps her perceptions are skewed. I believe Harry is honest but also that his perceptions are not always right-- like saying the cast have had equal screentime if you add it all up... I think he truly believes that, but he's just wrong.

I do think that Erica is a nice person and means well and wants things to be good, but I agree that the competency level is not there. I don't think she spent enough time with the training wheels on and she can't steer very well and its wobbly. She was a mediocre writer at best when solo writing. Taking someone who isn't that great of a writer and who has no experience being a showrunner and suddenly leaving them in charge was just a bad idea. It's like finding a waitress on a cruise ship who happens to love cruises but doesn't know jack about operating a vessel, jumping ship, and leaving the waitress as the captain.

ForeverAlone, Ugh! (about the Lily Kershaw song).

I do actually hope that nobody leaves at the end of this season. I would not be disappointed or even care because I've come to expect all of the hype to be total bullshit.

Hot Air's a comedy starring Jere Burns and Matthew plays his son whom Burns meets at his own funeral. Also starring Schuyler Fisk as Matthew's love interest. 

@zannej that link above works fine for me, just tried it again.

It's not so much that I am eager for any of the main cast to leave, but if the show over hypes danger and promises a departure only for it to be a minor character, FOR.THE.THIRD.YEAR.IN.A.ROW, I will completely lose my trust in the show. If it Cruz, it will have no emotional impact, because he is not an exceptionally important character for the day to day running of the team, and wouldn't really affect the future of the show in any way. It would be like getting rid of Anderson.

I'm wondering if the "sad secret" is unrelated to which team member will leave. Of course, they say a team member will leave "forever" but it doesn't have to be at the end of this season. It could a set up to explain why Morgan leaves at the end of next season.

Is Morgan really set to leave after next season? I haven't heard anything in that regard, and I'd be pretty disappointed if that were the case.

Then again, if Morgan really were to leave, I'd rather want a lot of anticipation for it than to find out in the season finale. When it comes to my favourite character, I *definitely* don't want to be caught off guard.

What will impress me more, is that if a main character does leave, is the discipline around the show and the network. I mean, if a main character departs and we have no word of it in advance, would be completely out of the norm for the show. Every other time a main character departed, we had plenty of advance warning from the media. This time, there is nothing. The smart money would say it is Jeanne, just because her contract is up, and Alex is not the most beloved character. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything. If the show actually has a departure of a main character that is final at the end of this episode, the show had to have known about it no later than February to write it into the finale. Which means that whoever is departing either made the announcement to the producers, or were told they weren't coming back. Not that big of a deal, since that is what happened with Paget in season seven. But to keep it all quiet this time and only hint at a departure in the finale promo? That takes some discipline that we have never seen from this show before. 

But if nobody actually leaves, or it is Cruz, I can easily see anger from the fandom as their emotions were jerked around yet again. Piss off the fans with enough misdirection often enough, and you are liable to lose the trust of the fandom. So I hope the show knows what they are doing this time around. We'll see soon enough.

Maybe it's just me in that I'm a "it's the journey, not the destination" type (if nothing else because just about every "suspense trick" has been done to death in procedurals), but I'm feeling jerked around not knowing if anyone will survive. Characters on a TV show are like family to me and I hate to see them leave without some kind of warning at least, so that I can least appreciate what little time they have left.

Yeah, I get that it removes the suspense if I find out beforehand that a character is leaving, and I get that, sometimes in life your friends depart suddenly. However, if there's anticipation, at least, it'll allow the show to allow the character to leave with dignity and lessens the blow of the inevitability somewhat. It'll still be sad but at least it'll feel like it wasn't in vain.

To do it all of a sudden makes the character's life appear cheap, and is likely to induce anger than produce a sympathetic response- I think back to the boondoggle that was Maeve's death. Not only that, but CM has gone to this well far too often, giving the impression that they don't care about their fans and their feelings, in that just by so much just *threatening* the lives of our characters it implies their lives are too cheap to preserve. Think about it- would you like it if your friends were always in a constant state of peril? That's what CM does, and it stinks.

Shemar has previously said on his social media (and I want to say some interviews, but I can't find them online at the moment) that season 10 will be his last, because he wants to move on to other things and do different things in his career. But you never know. CBS could throw him all the money he wants to stay, or Shemar could have a change of heart. Of course, the show itself may get canceled after season 10, since the bulk of the cast will be up for renegotiation anyway. 

http://www.iamrogue.com/news/interviews/item/9678-iar-exclusive-interview-shemar-moore-talks-the-bounce-back-crowdfunding-justice-league-war-and-crimanal-minds.html

^ Says it right there. I understand where he's coming from- I think 10 years as a character is a great run- although the show won't be the same. There's part of me that hopes that he'll continue on past Season 10, at least in a reduced role- say as the BAU Section Chief or as the head of the New York Field Office, where he'll only have to appear in a few episodes a season, at most- but you might be right: S10 could be it for CM just because most of the cast will have their deals expire, and CBS might think the costs are too high to continue. Of course, CBS could also use the opportunity to restructure the show around Reid and maybe Blake, bringing in a whole new cast for S11 (worked for CSI)...so we'll see.

• Love 1
(edited)

I disagree with him comparing CM to "Silence of the Lambs" and " Seven". Uh... NO. The writing in those two movies were phenomenal. I can't say the same for CM especially the last 4 seasons. But even on their best seasons, they cannot compare to those two movies.

As for CM going beyond season 10 with just Reid and Blake and then surrounding them with new characters? I don't think that will do. Remember, CBS waited until JM and TG signed last season before renewing CM. They will not have CM continue with just Matthew and Jeanne as leads.

What will happen is what happened on "The X Files". Chris Carter simply just said there won't be any X Files if both Gillian and David are not going to be on the show. Even if Annabel Gish and Robert Patrick were already familiar with the fans Chris Carter knew the fans won't stick around. The spin off with the Gunmen didn't work either.

As much as I love Matthew I don't think he can carry the show.

Something really concerns me. With the renewal of "The Mentalist" CBS was left with only 2 possible spots for any additional drama. And yet they opted to pick up 6 additional dramas. And one of them happens to be another CSI spin off. And it's for certain CBS is going to want to pair the 2 shows together in the beginning.

So I see a shake up taking place on Wednesday night's schedule which might not bode well for CM.We'll know for sure when CBS releases it's fall schedule Monday.

Some people were speculating as to just how in the world CBS was going to do it and a couple of people mentioned they were probably going to do time slot sharing.

That may explain why( at least according to this one website) they've got CM starting next fall in August instead of September.

MMC, I can guarantee that at least 3 of those 6 dramas won't make it, and it could be that they will piggyback each other, since CBS would probably not make more than 12 episodes of a new series these days, don't you think?

• Love 1
(edited)

Normasm, I agree with you. It is doubtful all of them survives. Personally I hope none of them survives, bc they are CM's real competition,not the shows on the competing network. I am most concerned about the CSI spin off. I do not know why they are doing a spin off on that show. It's ratings aren't what they use to be.

Edited by missmycat