Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Welcome To New York

Let me tell you most of those kids put such great stuff on the runway...much better than adult PR.

I loved that boys skirt with the colored building silhouettes in the back.  The girl that won...that was nothing new.  In fact that's somewhat what I wear in the summer.

The girl that went deserved to go but so did the boy with the hat.

• Love 7

All precocious, all confident and all seem to be enjoying the experience so far.  Samantha is the only one I can identify and I was glad she won.  I loved her outfit. Not original, but none of them were.  

This host, Hanna whomever is pretty stiff and has zero personality.  I wonder who she slept with to get the gig?

I tend to watch the work room segments with the sound off, because general and pointless blathering annoys me.  I do the same with Original Recipe PR too, so it's not just the kids, their vocal fry and upspeak.  And the boys sound worse than the girls. 

C. Siriano is the best thing about this show.  I'm glad he's successful enough that hooking up with this terminal franchise won't damage his career.

Definitely some talent in that room, so I'm happy to stay with this.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1

I enjoyed it. There does seem to be some talent here. If fact I saw better stuff from these teens than most of the adult designers on the main show. I was never a big Christian fan, but I like him very much as a judge. Even Kelly was an okay judge. 

Don't know who any of the kids are yet, but I'll stick around watching for the time being.

• Love 4

I liked it. I liked most of the kids and I love some of the over the topness. I hate that anyone had to go home on the first challenge, but I always feel that way even on original recipe PR. They're so nervous on the first challenge, give em a break and send two home on the second challenge.

Tim was obviously way more into this show than season 14, and who can blame him? There actually was more talent from some of these kids than from some of the adults on the season we just watched.

I'll hang around for a bit more because I love Christian and Kelly didn't really bother me that much. Hannah is wooden and I'm not sure I care for the lady from Seventeen/Cosmopolitan, although she is knowledgeable so that might be a nice change from some of the judging fodder we have on the grown up version.

• Love 6

I think this show will be a lot better fit for Tim Gunn because it really is a better fit for him being a mentor. It probably helps that all these kids really do want to learn from his knowledge.

I hadn't thought about that. But you're right. These really are students and this show probably is a better fit for him as a mentor.  I don't think I'll ever like Tim again the way I used to, but he might be tolerable working with the kids.

• Love 5

I only caught the runway show and the judging, but I was very impressed with what I saw.  This runway show was better than a lot of what we've seen on Project Runway, Grown-ups edition, especially the current season that just ended.

Everything looked well made, creative and tailored very well.  

I want to see more, so I'll be sticking around for a while.

I loved the look that won - I guess this is the designer who wants to do androgynous?  And, I really liked the pieced skirt, although it did remind me a little of the PR Original episode when they did the Rockettes challenge.  Also loved the lavender dress with the leather (?) detailed belt with matching back detail - very creative!!  

• Love 2

From the recap:

Kelly says this is the best first challenge she's ever seen! I don't think she's actually been present for any other first challenges so...moot point?

She hosted the British version of Project Runway for two seasons.

From the recap:

She hosted the British version of Project Runway for two seasons.

She's a fan of US Project Runway too. I don't think this was best first challenge ever, but I was impressed. I think these kids really want to show what they can do, and aren't just sitting back playing things safe.

• Love 2

I was actually pretty impressed, these kids can definitely hang with Kelly and Ashley and the best from this past season , although this past season of project runway was by far the weakest ever.

Based on the episode title and the first challenge being inspired by the NYC skyline, I'm pretty sure they're in New York.  ;-)

I think the confusion is that one of the prizes is a full scholarship to FIDM in LA.

• Love 3

Were some of these kids on the other P.R Thread? A couple look familiar.

Zachary and Matt were. Zachary was the one that did the look inspired by the huge jeweled head piece and Matt did a lady gaga thing. I kept wondering if this was going to be acknowledged.

Edited by luleetuni
  • Love 3

I watched that Threads thing, I swear, and yet I remember almost nothing about it. How was it different from this version?

I'm with Tim--finding myself smitten with these kids for the most part. 

• Love 3

I didn't watch Threads, but I got the impression that it was like Chopped, where each episode is a different handful of people who compete for just the one hour. If that's the case, I don't mind if a couple of them inspired producers to cast them here so they can really show their stuff. I appreciate that Junior is basically the same set-up and rules as regular-size Project Runway. They didn't soften it or dumb it down. Well, aside from giving them 45 minutes in Mood and being a little nicer when they talk to them because they're kids. ;)

I don't know anyone's names yet, so I can't really talk about them individually. I wasn't upset that the girl who went home was the first to go because that dress was pretty heinous. I don't know why anyone would want to wear a waistband like that. But I did learn that it's called a "paper bag waistband" apparently. See, this show can be educational! :) Also, she was one of the kids who kind of irked by being a little too precocious. I don't mind the super gay boys, especially the one with the nerdy glasses, but I don't like when they act like adults. Which is why I was delighted when the 13-year-old didn't understand Tim's comments during her critique. That was adorable.

I'm also jealous of the little gay boys. Not that I would have been that flamboyant when I was 15 or 16, but the idea of being able to be myself was terrifying when I was a teenager. It's nice that the world has changed to the point where gay boys can be as gay as they want to be. Or well, as gay as their town/school/family will let them, but it's still WAY better than when I was a kid! I couldn't come out until college!

There is a lot of talent on display here, and it's making me feel terribly inadequate. Thanks, Project Runway: Juniors!

• Love 15
leighdear, on 12 Nov 2015 - 10:06 PM, said:leighdear, on 12 Nov 2015 - 10:06 PM, said:

This host, Hanna whomever is pretty stiff and has zero personality.  I wonder who she slept with to get the gig?

Maybe her horse? (KIDDING!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukgRMKMlITU

(I'm not a DirectTV customer, but the "Hannah and her Horse" commercials really tickled me for some reason, although I could never remember what the commercials were for after watching them as I was too enamored with the talking horse. So I guess a big fail for DirectTV at least as far as snagging me as a customer).

NYGirl, on 12 Nov 2015 - 10:12 PM, said:NYGirl, on 12 Nov 2015 - 10:12 PM, said:

Hannah Davis is Derek Jeter's fiancee...she's a swimsuit model.

Yep - Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition cover model and a Victoria's Secret angel, too. So, in terms of making it in the modeling world, she has.

Edited by TwirlyGirly
  • Love 1

My problem with this show is the same problem I have with any reality show that features children—everyone is entitled to their privacy, especially during the difficult years of growing up.  These kids could be creating an identity that will follow them forever, whether they want that or not.  Hopefully, being on a show for just one season won’t have much of a fame factor.  I cringe when I think of what the TeenMom kids are going to go through; we know way too much about those kids and their parents’ shortcomings. 

The good thing about this show is that the kids will meet other creative kids who are just like them.  Hopefully, they will also learn about gaining some independence, meeting deadlines, and accepting constructive criticism.  Being exposed to NYC at least will teach the kids that the world is a bigger place than their hometown.  I hope their relationships with each other remain positive.  A few cutting remarks from someone my own age back then would have affected me more than it should have.  It’s hard to let things roll off your back during the teen years.

I love Christian S. as a judge.  He has better technical comments beyond the usual, “It looks unfinished.”

• Love 5

....or "I love this look! I would totally wear it!"

Christian is a wonderful judge, so glad he's on board. I like Kelly too. Loved the winning look. Like the kids, the kid from Kansas has stolen my heart and I was glad the kid with the hat got a second chance. I have two Massachusetts kids I'm rooting for, one of them is from the town right next to mine! No screen time at all last night, so I'm hopeful that he's in it for the long haul. Will this be the thing that injects some life into the PR franchise? Let's hope!

• Love 3

Well, that was a lot better than I expected.   With this being kids, I really do think they should adjust the format a little and have at least two, but I would suggest 3 or 4, episodes before they off anyone.  Then they off several at once.  When it was between the red dress and the blue taxi cabs (sorry, it will be the end of the season before I can remember any name except Maya) I figured the taxi cabs would be going home as I didn't remember seeing as much of him as I did of her. 

I like Christian very much as a judge.

I liked the skirt with the different colored strips, but at least to me, the hem of the top seemed unfinished as did the top of the skirt.  Maybe it is just my eyes.....

• Love 1

My problem with this show is the same problem I have with any reality show that features children—everyone is entitled to their privacy, especially during the difficult years of growing up.  These kids could be creating an identity that will follow them forever, whether they want that or not.  Hopefully, being on a show for just one season won’t have much of a fame factor.  I cringe when I think of what the TeenMom kids are going to go through; we know way too much about those kids and their parents’ shortcomings.

The good thing about this show is that the kids will meet other creative kids who are just like them.  Hopefully, they will also learn about gaining some independence, meeting deadlines, and accepting constructive criticism.  Being exposed to NYC at least will teach the kids that the world is a bigger place than their hometown.  I hope their relationships with each other remain positive.  A few cutting remarks from someone my own age back then would have affected me more than it should have.  It’s hard to let things roll off your back during the teen years.

I love Christian S. as a judge.  He has better technical comments beyond the usual, “It looks unfinished.”

I worry about the kids, too. I hope the judges won't try to pit them against each other like they do on the other show by asking them to choose which designer should stay or go when they do team challenges or get down to the last week. 

Did I understand the winner to say she spent much less than the amount given for the challenge?  Can she save that and add to what she gets next week or will they just give her less or can she take what she saved and buy snacks?  

• Love 1

I didn't think I would watch, but was bored and gave it a shot.  I don't find the kids terribly talented.  The constant repeating of catch phrases from regular PR designers is irritating to me.  Something that squicked me out was the TH with the girl who was eliminated when she said something like "when you've got 'girls' you need to show them off, right??"  I thought this was highly inappropriate for underage kids to be saying.

So look at the PR Lil' Rascals:  the  boys are so over the top, especially the kid with the enormous lisp...but glad they feel comfortable to be themselves. The girls are just *meh*.     Found the tailoring and finishing to be atrocious.  Course you see that with regular PR **Winners** too, when they glue flowers to a HOT MESS OF A FINALE OF A RUNWAY SHOW!  Nods to Ashley....

I will watch again, see if they settle down and show something good.

Kid from KY, please get rid of that stupid hat. Couldn't stand Merline's last season, can't stand yours. 

Why are 90% of them from Cali? 

Edited by Darling Lily

I liked it and love being able to see Christian again. He was always one on my favs from original recipe PR. I loved the neoprene 2 piece outfit with the buildings on the skirt. Loved it. I liked the kids enthusiasm and positivity. They just seem to be willing to do anything. They don't (yet) seem intimidated and are willing to put it out there (even if it sucks). They have less of a filter and are less worried about playing the game strategically (I'm looking at you Swapnil!). I am sure they will get bad comments (as the previews alluded) at some point, but I hope that all these kids really get to grow from the experience. I like the boy with the glasses and neoprene skirt. I am rooting for him (don't know his name). 

• Love 1

I only saw five minutes of this show. That was just long eough to wonder what the hell was that green thing sticking out of kelly osbourne's head, and to observe that the host isn't any good.  The way she asked "would you like to know what the prizes are" really grated on me. She did it in the same tone of voice you use when you're asking a group of 5 year olds if they'd like a cookie.

• Love 1

"Hannah and her Horse" commercials

Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition cover model and a Victoria's Secret angel

the host isn't any good.  The way she asked "would you like to know what the prizes are" really grated on me. She did it in the same tone of voice you use when you're asking a group of 5 year olds if they'd like a cookie.

I posted on the Hannah thread asking who the heck she was...oh boy! Is that the best they could do? She is pretty awful. I couldn't stand the way she was talking down to the contestants. Yes they are kids but you have them in an adult style competition, so treat them as worthy of being there.

I liked how Christian and Kelly took the time to explain what was wrong with the various designs rather than just saying "I don't like it" in a tired-voiced Nina Garcia way. I also think Tim will be a better mentor on this show. The adults don't ever think they need mentoring...they want Tim to either say its fabulous or to tell them what to do if they are stuck. They don't want criticism or to be reminded of time management issues. The kids need that and accept it.

• Love 2

This was a huge improvement on 'project runway threads,' and it was a nice watch.  I didn't agree with the winner, but the one who went home for her maternity dress was the right choice.   The judges were on point and not too nasty.  But I was sort of freaked out about how much the judges sounded exactly like their PR counterparts--I almost wondered if Nina Garcia was actually dubbing over everything that the Asian woman said, and Hannah (what the hell was she wearing in her introduction?) certainly got Heidi's accent down too.  Is there no one who can tell KO that her hairstyle is extremely unflattering? 

Edited by Glade
  • Love 1

I'm sure KO knows the expiration date on her hairdo is about 3 years past, but I think she refuses to acknowledge it.  I do think she knows quite a bit about fashion, though I don't care much for her personal style.  She learned a lot by being on "Fashion Police" for so many years.  

It remains to be seen if judge Aya Kanai is going to be a Nina 2.0 with her eye rolling and barely disguised contempt for everybody and everything.  Hopefully Aya isn't as jaded as Nina, so we'll be spared the pearl-clutching and heavy sighs when a hem is a little crooked or a stripe doesn't perfectly match. 

And as far as privacy goes, these kids have grown up in a 24/7 media-focused, post-it-all-on-the-internet society and I really only hold their parents/guardians responsible.  Those are the people that signed the contracts and are responsible for what we see.  Hopefully the kids are smart, but the adults that have been raising them are smarter.  Because the show and the producers will NEVER have the kids best interests at heart.  They want ratings.  Period. 

And even with that cynical view, I still enjoy watching these young people create!

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3

Nina 2.0 is uncomfortable in a judging role. I heard her saying "we" once and "the group" another time. She seems reluctant to express an original opinion. 

I'm gonna cry more than "bucket of tears" Ashley watching this show. I like the show and kids who put together a damned good runway. Too bad about the eliminations. 

• Love 3

So far the show seems to be careful about how they are portraying the kids. There are no scenes of them interacting with each other except in the work room. So no scenes in their living quarters. They are not shown fretting backstage while judging goes on.  There is almost no focus on their personal lives.

It's nothing like Teen Mom which focuses on the most intimate aspects of the subjects' lives.

I agree with the suggestion that they should have eased into the elimination -- perhaps keeping everyone the first week and then doing a double elimination the second week.  

Also, the fact that the designs seem better than much of what is being shown in Project Runway: Grown-Ups speaks to the fact that the adults on PR are pressured to create something completely earth-shattering that has never been seen before and that's a big gamble that can result in crap going down the runway.

The construction quality of some of the kids' garments was pretty rough, but I'm happy they ditched the parents' sewing that was part of Threads.

The editors need to get it together, though. Did anyone else notice that the scenes that were supposed to be in the workroom in the minutes before going down to the runway switched back and forth with workroom scenes that were actually from the previous day? 

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 1

Just a guess, but there aren't a lot of high school kids who are doing quality fashion design and have all the skills to be on a show like Project Runway.  They may have recruited from kids attending FIDM's summer kids design program.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 1

OH YEAH! When you mentioned the parents' role on Threads, it all came back to me. Thanks to all of you who jogged my memory. This does look to be quite a bit better!

Edited by bref
  • Love 1
I'm sure KO knows the expiration date on her hairdo is about 3 years past, but I think she refuses to acknowledge it.

Aww, I love a big bun and wear them pretty often. There's no expiration date on doing what you want with your own hair, IMO (says a person who routinely wears dresses that were in fashion when I was a toddler in the '70s).

• Love 1

I was referring more to the same grey-purple shade and the shaved areas that Kelly's been sporting for years.  Her hair just looks dated to me and not current.  I like her and prefer to see her setting the trends instead of allowing the old ones to languish on her.  

• Love 1

I was very impressed with the first runway show. Of course, things were not perfectly executed, but the kids produced better outfits than many of the shows with the adult designers. My favorite was the skirt with the city outline and the colors added in the back, but I liked the outfit the winner made too.

I don't care for Hannah as the host, but I think this is light years better than the horrid set-up on PR Threads. Tim seemed to enjoy working with the kids too. 

• Love 2

I think most of them were previously on PR Threads, I definitely recognized few boys and even few girls looked very familiar. I remember noticing back then that most of the Threads contestants were from California, I guess because it was convenient to find kids thru FIDM as that's where the show was taped. So glad this is not repeat of that show, hated the parents involvement and stupid mini challenge.

• Love 4

I wasn't going to watch, but there was nothing else on.

Ended up really liking it and the kids have some talent.

Did not like the winning look at all, seemed pretty drab to me.

Liked Maya's first attempt at a top better than what she ended up with, but still a nice garment and she was very sweet.

My favorite was the red dress that was almost voted the worst. I thought the pointed bodice top and the pretty waist detail were lovely.

The one voted off was pretty bad, but I agree with others that say that maybe they should have not offed anyone the first week, just so we get to see what else they can do.  She's probably crushed that she got to be on the show and was immediately eliminated. I know I would be.

I love Christian and Tim, the rest of them, not so much.  Not impressed by the Heidi-wanna-be's personality or lack thereof.

• Love 1