Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Sundae, Bloody Sundae

I just caught the June 13th episodes, and now this one. All in a row. I can't figure out why, but I'm still watching.

Holy mother of all that's holy, you have to WORK at making Zach Levi unwatchable, but this show has done it. And Joanne is just unwatchable for entirely other reasons. She might as well be twirling a mustache; how did she get cast?

If this were on any other network, it would have been canceled months ago. Wow.

• Love 1

No one else is commenting on this, so I'm probably just missing something, but I thought HRG assumed Phoebe was the problem but actually the problem was that Tommy had already lost his teleportation power? He touched Luke in the ice cream parlor (skin-to-skin contact, I checked) when he was redirecting the flames. So shouldn't he have Luke's power now instead of Hiro's? Except I can't see the writers giving up such a useful power as teleportation/time travel.

(I'm also wondering if this was the writers' loophole in case of future seasons. Once Tommy "stole" a new power, what if the old power was somehow returned to its owner? Baby Tommy took Hiro's power quickly, so Claire's corpse could've healed; and we never saw Hiro die, so he may have survived and just now gotten his powers back.)

The power stealing only seems to work whenever the writers want it to. I keep rolling my eyes whenever Tommy/Nathan touches another Evo and doesn't get their power. So far it only worked when he was a newborn. You could argue that Hiro taught him how to control it, except we seem to have enough evidence against that with the whole "don't say hello to your sister, in case you Hoover her ability to play with bees" and with Tommy/Nathan's memory getting wiped. I have no doubt that his power stealing abilities will only happen during the big moments, like when they need to kill off a practically immortal character or need him to save the world. If it worked every time he would have stolen Molly's, Penny Guy's, Luke's, and the guy who works at McDonald's power. I don't count the Harris clone in the count because he's only a clone and the power resides with Harris Prime.

Do we know that he didn't retain Claire's ability or that he can only have one at a time, like Peter in later seasons? I can't remember. Someone give that kid a paper cut so we can see if it heals, please. 

Actually, come to think of it, so far he's only stolen returning Heroes powers (another mark against coming back from the original series. You either die, have your power stolen, or both). Maybe he's not down with the new school Evos? Nah, I'll just go with the "when the writers want it to/during the big moments" theory.

And I actually wondered that, too, if the power reverts back to its original owner. The only other true power stealing character we knew was Arthur Petrelli. Of course Papa Petrelli could hold onto multiple powers at the same time, like Peter, but the powers didn't revert back to their original owners after his death, otherwise we would have been saddled with Maya coming back from Jersey and begging Mohinder to take them away again. Peter never stole powers (despite Angela saying pretty much that), he only mimicked them. Sylar never stole powers, he learned how they worked by looking at their brains which was his original power. I'd guess the evidence would be against the powers reverting back to the original owners, but again, it's Heroes.

I feel like I use that excuse for almost every plot hole and question that comes up with this show. "But again, it's Heroes." 

• Love 2

So, the future is Tatooine and Mos Eisley?  Katana Girl better be on the lookout for Jawas and Sand People!

It's interesting that she didn't have Hiro's sword with her -- I guess there isn't any decent Wi-fi in the future in order to hop back and forth into EverNow.

I feel like I use that excuse for almost every plot hole and question that comes up with this show. "But again, it's Heroes."

It is, but it also happened in the original series as well.

• Love 1

I don't know why I watch this show, none of it makes the slightest bit of sense. 

I'm now confused as to whether the apocalypse has already happened or if this is just the result of one of the regular near apocalyptic events that seem to regularly happen in this universe.

• Love 2

Do we know that he didn't retain Claire's ability or that he can only have one at a time, like Peter in later seasons? I can't remember. Someone give that kid a paper cut so we can see if it heals, please. 

He's got that cut on his forehead from the car accident, and it's been there for a couple episodes now (and I think in the previews for next week), so I'd guess he's lost the healing factor and it's only one power at a time. 

As to why he's not been stealing powers from other folks he's touched...writers be crazy. 

Edited by datazoid1701
  • Love 3

Very much enjoyed this one.  Wasn't sure what to think of Evil Parkman but I have to say it works very well for the character here.

I agree about the inconsistent nature of Tommy's powers, which is pretty much it works when the writers decide it works.

Edited by benteen

Okay, so I didn't see Parkman being evil (then again I totally missed on seeing the last episode and I am in no mode to go back and watch it). 

As with everything else, well it's a mess and I hope this show ends soon. 

This other guy you are talking about, is it Carlos?

Parkman was working for Renatus last episode. This was the stupidest "reveal" ever, not showing his face for like 2 minutes, as if it was supposed to be a shock that it was him.

• Love 1

Making Parkman work for Renautas makes no sense -- so he's just in for the money? Whatever. And making him "the Director" infuriates me; he was never my favourite character, but it seems like a complete rewriting of the character to turn him into this mind-raping asshole. So gross.

I don't really get how Quentin's on Erica's side all of a sudden either.

• Love 2

Making Parkman work for Renautas makes no sense -- so he's just in for the money? Whatever. And making him "the Director" infuriates me; he was never my favourite character, but it seems like a complete rewriting of the character to turn him into this mind-raping asshole. So gross.

I don't really get how Quentin's on Erica's side all of a sudden either.

Given that Matt's father, with the same power, was much like Matt is now, I wonder if the implication is that that particular power almost inevitably corrupts whoever has it.  A far more subtle version of the way Sylar characterized his power when Peter wanted it back in the old days, and one that makes far more sense to me.

When the Quentin of a year ago saved Erica during the time-travel episode (the butterfly incident), she was able to buy his loyalty by reconnecting him with his sister. We don't have any indication that Erica's an Evo, but she's definitely a master persuader and basically convinced Quentin to join her after that.  The Quentin of the current time-line is that Quentin, not the one that we started the series with who was killed just before HRG time-jumped with Hiro.

• Love 1

Did anyone else think it was strange that Tommy's girlfriend was the only one working in the ice cream parlor? Seriously? No other customers either?

That was convenient, but maybe it was just a slow day. I have worked in places that didn't see no more than a handful of people, at least once a week, so that wasn't too weird and I bit believable. 

Given that Matt's father, with the same power, was much like Matt is now, I wonder if the implication is that that particular power almost inevitably corrupts whoever has it.  A far more subtle version of the way Sylar characterized his power when Peter wanted it back in the old days, and one that makes far more sense to me.

It's a good argument, but I'm not convinced that it's one the show has made; or at least the show hasn't shown it in a way I can find credible. I'd have preferred to have some on-screen representation of the corrupting influence of Matt's telepathy, especially given Matt's demonstrated horror of becoming what his father was. (I might not be remembering accurately, but it seems to me that Maury's power was shown as being more mind-control than straight-ahead telepathy. In any case, "the Director's" trick of shackling the Evos within their own minds was pretty much exactly what Maury did, and was, in the end, the punishment Matt dealt out to his father. It would have been more convincing to me if we'd seen how Matt got from turning that particular table on his father, in terror and grief, to the point of torturing and imprisoning those weaker than himself and not caring -- in fact, giving every sign of enjoying it. From mindreader to psychic rapist is too long a jump for me to take it on faith with this show.

When the Quentin of a year ago saved Erica during the time-travel episode (the butterfly incident), she was able to buy his loyalty by reconnecting him with his sister. We don't have any indication that Erica's an Evo, but she's definitely a master persuader and basically convinced Quentin to join her after that.  The Quentin of the current time-line is that Quentin, not the one that we started the series with who was killed just before HRG time-jumped with Hiro.

I'd actually forgotten that the Quentin we started with was killed (too long between watching episodes, I guess). But Quentin seemed both skeptical and fearful of Erica at the point when he shot her; he seemed to forget both pretty quickly, and just being able to hang out with his sister seemed to work an enormous change in his attitude to Renautas. (I began to wonder if Phoebe's shadow power is supposed to exert some sort of corrupting influence itself. Is she working some shadow of the soul?)

But maybe the ultimate explanation for characters' changing natures and the apparent gaps in narrative logic really is "Because Heroes."

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 2

Happy to see the Haitian again, but sad that the only new character I really liked, the Penny guy, was killed off.  

Of course, Joanne needs to be saved by Erica's henchman.  Because she's such an enjoyable villain?  She needs to die a painful death.  I can think of no conceivable reason why Zachary Levi's character would go along with her to commit mass murder.  

I guess Noah can only share screentime with one grandchild at a time, eh?  

Carlos is still useless.  

I didn't like Matt being a villain.  

If Quentin was working for Erica all along, there's no way Noah wouldn't have figured it out.  Couldn't they think of a less idiotic way to explain how Erica found them?

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

That was convenient, but maybe it was just a slow day. I have worked in places that didn't see no more than a handful of people, at least once a week, so that wasn't too weird and I bit believable. 

But the owner of that ice cream parlor lets her work without any manager? A minor working in that place, dealing with merchandise, customers and money all by herself?

But the owner of that ice cream parlor lets her work without any manager? A minor working in that place, dealing with merchandise, customers and money all by herself?

Well, yeah the missing manager is a problem, but apparently adults go missing when teenagers are from movies and TV shows. That being said, I had a friend back in high school who basically was the sole person her manager would trust anything with.