Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Sundae, Bloody Sundae

Episode Description:

Noah is on the hunt for Tommy to reveal his past to him and guide him on his destiny to stop a catastrophic event. Taylor's discoveries about her mother, Erica Kravid leads to her capture by an underground group. Erica escalates her search for Tommy and Malina as the race to finalize her dangerous plans intensifies. Elsewhere, Emily has an unexpected reunion with Joanne. Meanwhile, Dearing leads Carlos closer to finding his kidnapped nephew and Luke and Malina are separated in a violent encounter.

So, the only butterflies from HRG's shenanigans in the past was Quentin -- who is now evil -- and the Haitian -- who is now alive.  That's it !!  Everything else is exactly the same.  WTF ?

7957 years later .... seriously ?  What .... was the fire still burning from the CME impact just 7956 years later ?

Did Tommy touch Pheobe while he was being hauled away ?  Because that could have consequences.

• Love 2

So, the only butterflies from HRG's shenanigans in the past was Quentin -- who is now evil -- and the Haitian -- who is now alive.  That's it !!  Everything else is exactly the same.  WTF ?

What a waste of time, they could've ended this already without the bs excuses.

• Love 3

RIP Penny Man. 

Too bad the story is picking up when the season is practically over.  

Noah was quick enough to figure out that Quentin was the butterfly, but he couldn't do anything about it to keep Nathan safe.  At least he has Malina.

I wonder what Erica will do with psycho Joanne...

Carlos was a wasted story in this series.  Is there something about him that makes him slightly less vulnerable to Parker's mindraping? 

Katana Girl is real in the future?  Interesting...

Did Tommy touch Pheobe while he was being hauled away ?  Because that could have consequences.

Phoebe had already cancelled his power out by then.  She was the reason why he couldn't teleport himself and Noah out of the hospital.  As long as she is hovering around, Nathan is powerless.

Edited by Stardancer Supreme

Is Taylor Kravid still pregnant in this new alternate timeline ? If so, I bet $5 that her baby is an Evo.

That freezeframe CGI in the ice cream shop was pretty bad. Due they blow the budget for this episode on Greg Grunberg ?

Phoebe had already cancelled his power out by then.  She was the reason why he couldn't teleport himself and Noah out of the hospital.  As long as she is hovering around, Nathan is powerless.

Forgot about that -- my bad.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver

I can't believe HRG let them take Nathan without shooting one of them. I was plenty frustrated with Nathan as well when he stopped time. Let that bitch Joanna burn. What is wrong with her? Losing a child does not turn you into a murderer. What is her purpose other than to annoy?

Why didn't Casper just give Nathan his penny back? Why didn't Nathan use his power to save Casper? I thought his power was so helpful.

Edited by blugirlami21
  • Love 6

I can't believe HRG let them take Nathan without shooting one of them. I was plenty frustrated with Nathan as well when he stopped time. Let that bitch Joanna burn. What is wrong with her? Losing a child does not turn you into a murderer. What is her purpose other than to annoy?

Why didn't Casper just give Nathan his penny back? Why didn't Nathan use his power to save Casper? I thought his power was so helpful.

Heroes is frustrating to watch, same with the original.  So many times, there are other options for the characters, but they keep making dumb choices or get nerfed if they're too powerful.

As for Joanna, she's just all around terrible, it's like she's trying to be as hateable as muh as possible and not in the intentional way.

Edited by Free
  • Love 6

Dammit, Nathan/Tommy!  I get using your new freeze time powers to save Emily and everything, but what the fuck were you doing making Luke not burn Joanne?!  This is no time to give second chances, especially to her!  I mean, she's gone past trying to kill Evos: she was clearly prepared to murder a regular person just to hurt an Evo.  This whole thing is fucked up, but that is even worse.  Joanne is a pure psycho now, who will kill anyone to make herself feel better.  She needs to go down hard.  Instead, she escapes with Harris Prime.  Great, Erica is totally going to make her a solider or something, right?

So, basically, thanks to Noah's little trip, the Haitian is alive again and running a resistance movement, Parkman is "The Director" of the Evo prison that is making the prisoners feel like they aren't actually being held prisoner, and Quentin is not just working for Erica, but seems flat-out bad, because he seemed to be enjoying fucking them over.  Lovely.  And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Erica's plan involve Nathan needing to be alive?  Because if so, Noah should have known he was bluffing. Did he really think he would shoot Nathan?  I'm just confused about the entire thing and Nathan (and Malina's) part in all of this.

So, Carlos froze in battle and that is why Nazan had to do the whole invisible.  Whatever.  He's still boring, and now the only thing I kind of enjoyed about his plot (Dylan Bruce), is dead, I think.

Finally, we see the future where it looks like almost all of the planet has been destroyed, but Miko is still kicking around.  I can't wait to see who will be responsible for this clusterfuck!  Probably everyone will end up playing a part somehow.

Hey, a Micah name-drop!  I remember him!  He was Ali Larter's son, right?  Really should have brushed up on the earlier seasons....

• Love 5

This show! I have to be honest. It's terrible. They tried. But it is a mess. I agree that it's absurd that after all the hand wringing about butterflies there were virtually no differences! Despite all the time travel shenanigans, Blonde Girl and Chuck are still sitting in a car together? Ok.

I hate Chuck and his wife. I'm over it. I don't care that their son died. Shit happens. Everyone who dies is someone's son or daughter, doesn't justify a neverending murder spree.

I see the show still likes to kill off its more interesting characters. Penny Man will be missed. Nathan kind of sucks for not even trying to go back and save Penny Man. Also, waitress girl is useless and basically got him killed. Good job at tipping the crazy lady with a gun off.

Did the Evo-Cop actually kill himself or did Matt Parkman's cheerfully evil ass just trick him like the other guy. Speaking of the other guy, I don't get why we have to keep being bothered with him. It's a show called Heroes and he is just some dude who is hero adjacent. No thank you.

Quentin's capture of Nathan seemed weak to me. It was obvious the show just needed Nathan to be captured at that particular time.

• Love 7

Okay, so I didn't see Parkman being evil (then again I totally missed on seeing the last episode and I am in no mode to go back and watch it). 

As with everything else, well it's a mess and I hope this show ends soon. 

Did the Evo-Cop actually kill himself or did Matt Parkman's cheerfully evil ass just trick him like the other guy. Speaking of the other guy, I don't get why we have to keep being bothered with him. It's a show called Heroes and he is just some dude who is hero adjacent. No thank you

This other guy you are talking about, is it Carlos?

• Love 1

Did my eyes deceive me, or was next episode billed as the "fall finale"? So, what, this show goes into hiatus for a few months, then return with a grand total of only three episodes in the back half? That makes no sense. Did we just get baited and switched, and Heroes Reborn is really going to be a full 20-22 episodes season?

Ugh.

• Love 1

This show! I have to be honest. It's terrible. They tried. But it is a mess. I agree that it's absurd that after all the hand wringing about butterflies there were virtually no differences! Despite all the time travel shenanigans, Blonde Girl and Chuck are still sitting in a car together? Ok.

I hate Chuck and his wife. I'm over it. I don't care that their son died. Shit happens. Everyone who dies is someone's son or daughter, doesn't justify a neverending murder spree.

I see the show still likes to kill off its more interesting characters. Penny Man will be missed. Nathan kind of sucks for not even trying to go back and save Penny Man. Also, waitress girl is useless and basically got him killed. Good job at tipping the crazy lady with a gun off.

Did the Evo-Cop actually kill himself or did Matt Parkman's cheerfully evil ass just trick him like the other guy. Speaking of the other guy, I don't get why we have to keep being bothered with him. It's a show called Heroes and he is just some dude who is hero adjacent. No thank you.

Quentin's capture of Nathan seemed weak to me. It was obvious the show just needed Nathan to be captured at that particular time.

Definitely, I think most of it comes from not caring about most of the new characters, which they should've cut down on except for the important characters to make the series tighter.

This episode, for all that was going on, was actually kind of boring.

Quentin's evil (we knew that from last week): Butterfly #1. The Haitian Sensation that's sweeping the Nation lives!: Butterfly #2. Katana Girl in the not-so-distant future: Butterfly #3? I'm not quite decided yet on if that's a butterfly or not.

Matt Parkman is now Darth Parkman. Honestly, from the original Heroes until this incarnation, I'm not that surprised. He was never exactly the most upstanding of the Heroes last time. Parkman's House of Evo Zombies was kind of funny. When he visited Carlos in the kitchen and started to make himself a sandwich, I felt like the scene had shades of Nathan meeting Linderman in the hotel kitchen the first time, when Linderman was going to offer Nathan part of his pot pie until he pulled a gun on him. I was expecting the same here and a little disappointed that it didn't happen. A nice little nostalgic callback, even if that wasn't what they were intending.

ETA: I guess we got our answer to last week's question as to whether Tommy/Nathan can stop time. Why he didn't do it a year ago in Odessa though...

HRG is certainly dumbed down a little this time but hey, he swapped out one grandkid for another so it's a wash all around? And this one comes with gummy bears! Score!

We got no resolution on what happened to Hiro (guaranteed he shows up again before the end because of it). I got saddled with both Carlos and Crazy Eyes Joanne in the same episode. Taylor's red wig was frightful. Yay for Micah/Rebel being mentioned (how that kid isn't more screwed up than he probably is amazes me) but not a win all around. I'm not expecting much from this series anymore but I did expect something better than that.

As an aside, damn it Global TV. I missed the east coast showing, on a US network, because of a hockey game that ended up being a bit of a snore, so I caught the west coast airing on a Canadian channel and instead of a "Next week, on Heroes Reborn..." I get a promo for the next episode of Limitless? The hell? Hope I can catch a commercial at some point during the week that has a preview.

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 4

Honestly I'm not sure why I'm even watching any more other than to see what kind of crappy resolution we will get at the end of the season. At this point they're flat out murdering the interesting EVO's or making them so stupid they're useless I'm not sure whether I'll make it to the end.

HRG was so frustrating. I would have just shot Phoebe and Tommy would have got his powers back and could have teleported out. DONE AND DONE.

This show is stupid as are the characters. Tommy I get why you saved your girlfriend but why did you save the woman who just murdered Penny Man? 

• Love 8

What happened to Brad?  Emily says that Tommy is her boyfriend even though she has a boyfriend?  Whatever, I guess he's just hanging out with Claire's boyfriend that could fly and Peter's Irish girlfriend.

I don't get why Phoebe's powers give her permanent bed head this episode.  I still can't believe that Dylan Bruce left Orphan Black for this show, and is stuck in the most boring plot line.  I do kinda like evil Parkman.

• Love 6

What happened to Brad?  Emily says that Tommy is her boyfriend even though she has a boyfriend?  Whatever, I guess he's just hanging out with Claire's boyfriend that could fly and Peter's Irish girlfriend.

Maybe he was another butterfly squished beneath time's cruel heel. Or she's one of those people that bail on their former bf without a second thought. Even in the first timeline she wasn't that concerned about cheating on Brad.

• Love 1

For that matter, why did Luke join his wife in murdering Evos (and then humans).  He didn't seem to hate even IceMan so Joanne picks up the gun (and magically turns into the Best Shot EVER!!!) why not walk away (much less turn in the psycho bitch)?

Tommy's actions at the ice cream shop were stupid beyond belief.  He poofed right into the shop not around back where Malignant was hiding so he could suss the situation, poof in back of Joanne and cold-cock her.  Nope, he's got to jump right at her getting Penny Man killed.  

And why didn't Penny Man just penny-ize Joanne?  Why give her the opportunity to shoot anyone?  Guh, TSTW (copyright Once Upon A Time).

Yeah. Storyline wise, Noah isn't as sharp as he used to be.  Phoebe should have caught one between the eyes before Nathan ran into Quentin.  Her powers didn't effect HIM.  Sigh. 

That's at least three times HRG has failed to halt Phoebe (even if he doesn't kill her).  The stupidest is once he sees that she's the one keeping the Evos from stopping Odessa, he doesn't have Hiro and Molly track her down and cold-cock her.  After Odessa, he's got to realize that she's the biggest weapon Erika has (even moreso than Harris) but doesn't do anything to neutralize her.

Did my eyes deceive me, or was next episode billed as the "fall finale"? So, what, this show goes into hiatus for a few months, then return with a grand total of only three episodes in the back half? 

You saw (and heard) correctly.  Episode 10 is the Season Finale, then we get 3 episodes in January.  I haven't seen anything about a "back 9" -- hopefully there won't be, and I can finish my hate-watch in 4 episodes.

• Love 1

For that matter, why did Luke join his wife in murdering Evos (and then humans).  He didn't seem to hate even IceMan so Joanne picks up the gun (and magically turns into the Best Shot EVER!!!) why not walk away (much less turn in the psycho bitch)?

Because characters turn instantly on this show, and to have another pair of dumbass duo like Erica's new henchmen.

You saw (and heard) correctly.  Episode 10 is the Season Finale, then we get 3 episodes in January.  I haven't seen anything about a "back 9" -- hopefully there won't be, and I can finish my hate-watch in 4 episodes.

It's a limited series with 13 episodes and hopefully stays that way.

This episode, for all that was going on, was actually kind of boring.

Because none of it was substantial, just scenes and scenes of character stupidity.  They could've ended this already and even the 'butterflies' is just a dumb plot convenience that seems even more nonsensical when you find out what it is.

You saw (and heard) correctly.  Episode 10 is the Season Finale, then we get 3 episodes in January.  I haven't seen anything about a "back 9" -- hopefully there won't be, and I can finish my hate-watch in 4 episodes.

Thanks.  That's a pretty dumb way of splitting the seasons, as it'll kill any momentum this show has (not like it really has any anyway).  I just want to get my "hate-watching" done as soon as possible so I can move on.  This season is nearly as bad as "Under the Dome."  If this series is actually renewed for a second season, I won't be watching it.  

• Love 5

Thanks.  That's a pretty dumb way of splitting the seasons, as it'll kill any momentum this show has (not like it really has any anyway).  I just want to get my "hate-watching" done as soon as possible so I can move on.  This season is nearly as bad as "Under the Dome."  If this series is actually renewed for a second season, I won't be watching it.

I think they already ruined whatever momentum the 2 parter had going for it, but oh well, it's their own fault for not giving the characters any stakes beyond generic villains and mostly uninteresting characters, while screwing over the originals for the most part.

• Love 1

Did the Evo-Cop actually kill himself or did Matt Parkman's cheerfully evil ass just trick him like the other guy. 

That's what I was wondering.  

Did my eyes deceive me, or was next episode billed as the "fall finale"? So, what, this show goes into hiatus for a few months, then return with a grand total of only three episodes in the back half? That makes no sense. Did we just get baited and switched, and Heroes Reborn is really going to be a full 20-22 episodes season?

Seems like bait and switch to me.  I want an end.

And why didn't Penny Man just penny-ize Joanne?

He tried.  She didn't pick up the penny.  

Edited by SoothingDave

One good thing about watching shows such as this and "Once Upon a Time"?  It's given me a much greater appreciation for shows such as "Game of Thrones" which does such a deft job of juggling multiple story lines, character arcs, and plot threads while ensuring that most things make logical sense.  Even the much maligned "Dorne" subplot in GoT is still miles better than anything this show has to offer.  

Such a disappointment.  I had high hopes that the writers of "Heroes" would've learned from their mistakes of the last couple of seasons and that the 13-episodes format would've created a more streamlined and consistent story, as well as ensuring that the writers could then go over the whole season and ferret out any plot inconsistencies, timeline hiccups, and character illogicalities.  I won't go over all of the problems this show has -- other commentators have already done a fabulous job of doing so, and I'd just be beating a zombified horse at this point -- but it's utterly maddening to witness.  

I normally don't like to "hate watch" a TV show (hence why I was done with "Under the Dome" when it decided not to be a single-season mini-series anymore) but ugh.  I've already spent 9 episodes watching this dreck, and I hate to end something when I'm so close to the finish line.  Only four more episodes ... only four more episodes ... 

• Love 6

He tried.  She didn't pick up the penny.  

That's one of the things that made no sense to me.  Penny Man threw his entire briefcase of pennies at Joanne.  Surely at least ONE of them touched her, which should've been enough to wipe her memories.  Or does she have to actually pick one penny up for his powers to work?  Otherwise, what was the point of throwing his briefcase at her in the first place?  

Also, is touching the penny required?  I'd have to go back and check (ha, not bloody likely), but weren't there instances where all the victim had to do was look at the penny to get their memories wiped?  (Otherwise, how was Penny Man going to "wipe" HRG's (who knew how Penny Guy's powers worked) memories?  Physically force him to grab the penny?) Joanne was looking at the penny at one point, so why was her memory not wiped when that happened?  

That's just one example of the many, many inconsistencies that's cropped up in this show when it comes to the powers of characters.  

• Love 2

The exact details of the penny have not been explained (of course), but it seems there needs to be some touching of skin.  Remember when the bad guys had HRG and wanted him to give up what he knew?  Penny man rolled one over and HRG picked it up and then instantly Parkman couldn't read anything else in HRG's mind, cause it was gone.

Maybe just penny on skin can do the trick, which would explain him throwing the case and spraying pennies everywhere?  Remember also, right before, when he was supposed to wipe Tommy's ice cream girlfriend, he had the penny but then chose not to give it to her.

I'm going to say that he has some way to make the "taking a penny" very attractive to his intended "victim," but that they do actually have to touch it.  Notice how he was talking to Joanne, promising to make it all better.  It was like he was putting her under a spell.  If Tommy hadn't burst in, she probably would have done what he was suggesting and picked up one of them.

• Love 2

I always wondered if Penny Man was supposed to be based on 'Find a penny, pick it up and all day long you'll have good luck'.

It's kind of irresistible to some people not to pick up a coin. It could have been an awesome way to trap people into become harmless, memoryless drones - or if he'd had another power as well, like mild clairvoyance, he could have left the pennies at strategic points throughout recent Heroes history, before they were needed and people might grab them at the opportune moment without even realising what they were doing.

We could have called him 'The Money Spider' or something.

Not on this show, though.

• Love 1

The exact details of the penny have not been explained (of course), but it seems there needs to be some touching of skin.  Remember when the bad guys had HRG and wanted him to give up what he knew?  Penny man rolled one over and HRG picked it up and then instantly Parkman couldn't read anything else in HRG's mind, cause it was gone.

It's times like this that I wish I wasn't cheap as hell and actually owned a DVR, so I can't go back to check but didn't HRG just stop the rolling penny under his foot with no skin contact? I thought it was funny because with Parkman and a Harris clone in there, nobody stopped to question "Hey, how weird! We're in the middle of an interrogation and this penny just rolls into the room out of nowhere! I wonder what that's about. Hm..." Did he pick it up past that point? Because if he did, then Parkman's an even bigger idiot that before. 

Also: didn't Joanne pick up a penny when he spilled them in the ice cream parlour originally, before the flying briefcase of doom bit? I thought it had worked at that point and was confused why she was still holding them up. 

I hate to say it, but I think I'm in the hate-watch camp too. At this point, screw saving the world. Go Erica! Put us out of our misery!

• Love 2

So if Quentin turning 'evil' and the Hatian being alive are the "butterflies" from Noah's attempt to kill Erica, then what happend the first time Noah went back in time?  You know, the first time he had the two babies taken back 15 years, because they were obviously already 15 when we started this show.  So if the first time he went back in time, he didn't try to kill Erica, then how did "original Noah" see him and thus need his mind to be wiped?  And then if the whole aftermath of trying to kill Erica included Harris clones chasing them down, then what happend the first time when Nathan/Tommy had to have his mind wiped?  And if it was ok for him to know all about his powers and what he had to do the first time, then why did his 'mother' have to keep him in the dark for an entire year?  And when did he go to Primatech to the bedroom where he teleported Luke and Joanne.  Don't the writers have any sort of time line that they refer to?????  Its time travel crap like this that annoys me.

I still don't give a crap about Carlos or why him being a coward makes him "more interesting" for Parkman.  Who cares?

FF to the future 7567 years or so? Really?  Was 2000 years or 200 years not enough?

• Love 6

There are organic ways for writers to have characters with wildly different power levels.  It's why Superman can exist despite him practically being a deity compared to other superheroes and supervillains.

Heroes has not found that balance, which is why they need characters who seemingly forget how to use their powers.

I feel like this episode makes the 2-parter dramatically useless since it's not clear at all what changed as a result of time-travel, and what was always going to happen.  Clearly some things have changed because Quentin is now alive.  But other things which seem like they've changed actually haven't, since as others have said Tommy was already sent back in time, and Noah's memory was already erased.  Which kind of takes away the stakes from the previous 2-parter.  I wish the show had just gone linear, starting with the summit bombing and going from there.

• Love 2

That's just one example of the many, many inconsistencies that's cropped up in this show when it comes to the powers of characters.

One more for fun:  When Nammy wants to teleport himself, he's always touched his shoulder.  But now, suddenly, he can teleport two people with him...

Notice how he was talking to Joanne, promising to make it all better.  It was like he was putting her under a spell.

Yeah, I noticed.  It worked about as well as Jim Gordon trying to talk Barbara Keen into doing the right thing -- they're both INSANE!!!  There is absolutely no reason to expect either of them to say, "Oh, damn, I hadn't thought of that.  I'm all better!"  

I'm sure he didn't give the dropped-boyfriend's dad a choice!  

So stupid!

I feel like this episode makes the 2-parter dramatically useless since it's not clear at all what changed as a result of time-travel, and what was always going to happen.

Several of us had speculated that going back would either wipe out the previous 6 episodes or be thoroughly useless. It looks like they went with thoroughly useless.

The whole "butterfly" nonsense means that Original Recipe Hiro was actually a villian since he scooped up "butterflies" by the thousands and put them in a blender to make his smoothies.

Edited by jhlipton

Several of us had speculated that going back would either wipe out the previous 6 episodes or be thoroughly useless. It looks like they went with thoroughly useless.

Agreed, very useless, just dumb characters bumbling along to run out the clock.

What was with all the BS trying to show how evil! Erica is? Look, she can shoot a huge gun! Look again, she can slice apart an animal carcass better than a bumbling chef!

Just another generic evil villain with a shady corporation and even then that was boring.  Before they ruined Sylar, he was an interesting villain and more of a threat than these generic baddies and don't get me started on the Luke/Joanna nonsense.

It's 13 episodes.  Next one will be episode 10 and then the remaining 3 will come back after a break.

They were already struggling trying to drag this series out as it is, it certainly doesn't need anymore episodes.

So if Quentin turning 'evil' and the Hatian being alive are the "butterflies" from Noah's attempt to kill Erica, then what happend the first time Noah went back in time?  You know, the first time he had the two babies taken back 15 years, because they were obviously already 15 when we started this show.  So if the first time he went back in time, he didn't try to kill Erica, then how did "original Noah" see him and thus need his mind to be wiped?  And then if the whole aftermath of trying to kill Erica included Harris clones chasing them down, then what happend the first time when Nathan/Tommy had to have his mind wiped?  And if it was ok for him to know all about his powers and what he had to do the first time, then why did his 'mother' have to keep him in the dark for an entire year?  And when did he go to Primatech to the bedroom where he teleported Luke and Joanne.  Don't the writers have any sort of time line that they refer to?????  Its time travel crap like this that annoys me.

Yes, there is a time travel paradox.  HRG went back in time because he went back in time.  He must and must have because 15 YO Tommy/Malina exist when we start.

Keeping Tommy hidden for a year makes absolutely no sense, as I pointed out last week.  Penny man made Tommy "forget" about his powers, so when he discovered he could teleport things in the early episodes it was all new to him.  Which is why he had no idea he could travel in time as well.  Until this episode.  

But the entire thing where he has to be kept safe for a year is ludicrous.  If he needs to be with his sister and save the world in a year, he could just travel in time ahead one year.  So dumb.  As another noted upthread, HRG could have used Molly to find the twin sister as well.  Zap everyone ahead one year and let's get to the resolution.

One more for fun:  When Nammy wants to teleport himself, he's always touched his shoulder.  But now, suddenly, he can teleport two people with him...

He took his girl to Paris that way last week, didn't he?  He is learning more about what he can do.  I think this is actually explicable.

Edited by SoothingDave

RIP Penny Man, you were one of the highlights of this season. My favorite baddie is Parkman. Although I wonder if he has scanned Erica, ever. And where the hell is Micah? I thought he would be more central to the show.

And lastly, I liked that Katana Girl is back, even if there is only 4 episodes left.

• Love 1

Erica and the deer. She must be a Lannister. That would explain so many things.

Pointing Luke away from Joanna wouldn't/shouldn't do anything to the sunbeam that had already left his hand. Come on, people! At least get some of the little things right.

Just when we thought it was safe and no more Katana Girl...

The Haitian needs to take Parkman aside and give him a good talking-to.

RIP PennyMan.

• Love 3

I always wondered if Penny Man was supposed to be based on 'Find a penny, pick it up and all day long you'll have good luck'.

I think it's supposed to be a play on "penny for your thoughts?"

He gives them a penny and they literally lose their thoughts.

• Love 3

Pointing Luke away from Joanna wouldn't/shouldn't do anything to the sunbeam that had already left his hand. Come on, people! At least get some of the little things right.

Just when we thought it was safe and no more Katana Girl...

Nathan/Tommy moved that light beam like if was a piece of wood -- it was pretty bad.

Apparently Katana girl and cockroaches will survive the apocalypse.

• Love 2

One more for fun:  When Nammy wants to teleport himself, he's always touched his shoulder.  But now, suddenly, he can teleport two people with him...

He teleported both his mom and Penny Guy at the same time after the Harris clones were storming their house in Odessa. So he can do three (including himself) so far. Like Hiro, so long as he's touching them, it seems to work. I think the self shoulder touching is both just a physical thing to show the audience he's about to teleport and a replacement for Hiro's constipation face when he used to do it.

FF to the future 7567 years or so? Really?  Was 2000 years or 200 years not enough?

I think the writers just head-desked on the number pad of their keyboard when writing that scene and 7567 is what came up.

Apparently Katana girl and cockroaches will survive the apocalypse.

And Twinkies! Can't forget the Twinkies. Maybe Malina should have been tossing those back instead of the gummy bears. And it would have been awesome if Katana Girl had woken up next to the old Company cockroach that kept showing up in the original.

I'm still a little sad that they didn't treat the Matt and Carlos sandwich bit as a play on the original!Nathan and Linderman pot pie bit. I guess I just want some more callbacks to the original series for nostalgia reasons. The old double helix-ish symbol/Pinehearst symbol on the computer screen when they were checking Carlos to see if he was an Evo didn't pass me by but that's such an obvious thing. I feel like I need rewards from them just to get through this past episode. Gimme some easter eggs, writers!

• Love 3
I think the writers just head-desked on the number pad of their keyboard when writing that scene and 7567 is what came up.

Actually, it was 7957 years (I double-checked it) which means the year would be 9972.  I assume it being near the year 10,000 has something to do with it - maybe related to the game?

I had a feeling that the Haitian would be back, since was only in one episode while every other character from the previous series either has or will appear a total of three times.  Unless you count Micah, who was in the last Dark Matters webisode, but it looks like he'll be "reappearing" too.  By the way, I think the Haitian's return is part of the reason that Casper was killed off - they have similar powers.

Wasn't Erica using a cane at the end of the last episode in the present, presumably because her gunshot wound from a year ago had left permanent damage?

I thought that the worst part of this bad episode was making it obvious who the Director was while hiding first him and then (just) his face.  I mean they mention how he can get into people's heads, then we hear Matt's voice (and he was just in the last episode!), and then showing his overweight body from the neck down.  Who else could it be???  Writers, please don't assume that the viewers are as stupid as you make the characters act! LOL

Edited by bagert
  • Love 3

He took his girl to Paris that way last week, didn't he?  He is learning more about what he can do.  I think this is actually explicable.

You know, I honestly don't remember, but I think he tapped his shoulder to get to the ice cream shop.  Not that big a deal, I just doubt they have anyone watching for this.

I thought that the worst part of this bad episode was making it obvious who the Director was while hiding first him and then (just) his face

That was pretty dumb! 

Like I said, I wish the writers were better.  There was no excuse for them to pull the same shenanigans they did with Original Recipe Heroes.

It's worse here because they've had more time here to try and fix their past mistakes and start with a clean slate and yet they didn't.  All they did was dump in more characters.

Not to mention since it's supposed to be a close ended story, yet it's chock full of padding.

• Love 5

Loved the Cadillac ad at the beginning of the ep. When I wonder if it's the show or did I not FF enough on the DVR... not exactly seamless.

I know two wrongs don't make a right, but because actresses get raked over the effing coals for weighing more than a skeleton: damn, GG, ya couldn't have laid off the sammiches for a few weeks before filming? I don't even think he could fit into the cockpit seat belt of an Oceanic airliner anymore.

I can't believe that I've come to most enjoy the Katana Girl story. Her dad creating her, Pinocchio-style, was sweet. When she appeared at the end with that Logan's Run dome in the background, I wished for a moment that the show would turn into some crazy sci-fi ninja story instead of the clusterfuck it is.

Phoebe had already cancelled his power out by then.  She was the reason why he couldn't teleport himself and Noah out of the hospital.  As long as she is hovering around, Nathan is powerless.

No one else is commenting on this, so I'm probably just missing something, but I thought HRG assumed Phoebe was the problem but actually the problem was that Tommy had already lost his teleportation power? He touched Luke in the ice cream parlor (skin-to-skin contact, I checked) when he was redirecting the flames. So shouldn't he have Luke's power now instead of Hiro's? Except I can't see the writers giving up such a useful power as teleportation/time travel.

(I'm also wondering if this was the writers' loophole in case of future seasons. Once Tommy "stole" a new power, what if the old power was somehow returned to its owner? Baby Tommy took Hiro's power quickly, so Claire's corpse could've healed; and we never saw Hiro die, so he may have survived and just now gotten his powers back.)

Miko and Carlos aren't bugging me now that they're more interesting and the plot is moving along. If they needed to include them, the writers could've shaved a few eps from the beginning and still given us what we have now - Miko somehow showing us where the future leads, and Carlos introducing us to Parkman's job and Micah's jail. I don't even mind Carlos not having powers, since he's on the side of Evos - it's like the hate crimes and the murder spouses, it would've been interesting to see the bigger world of Heroes in the hands of better writers.

If Mohinder is alive, I doubt we'll know before January. How frustrating. What's also frustrating is that they'll probably leave the fall finale with either a) a cliffhanger that no one cares about or b) the death of yet another original recipe character.

• Love 3

(I'm also wondering if this was the writers' loophole in case of future seasons. Once Tommy "stole" a new power, what if the old power was somehow returned to its owner? Baby Tommy took Hiro's power quickly, so Claire's corpse could've healed; and we never saw Hiro die, so he may have survived and just now gotten his powers back.)

I've been thinking the exact same thing.