Type keyword(s) to search

RPDR: In The Media

• Start Topic

Another podcast, another 20 minutes of Michelle begging Ru to tour, Ru saying he doesn't like airports, Michelle saying she will handle it, Zzzzzz.

I liked Henry Rollins last episode, but they need to get some queens back on the show.

• Love 4

For those of you who don't watch Skin Wars (a bodypainting show where Ru is one of the judges), this week's episode featured several drag queens from RPDR. The body painters had to create red carpet celebrity drag looks for the queens. The painters were allowed to use small swatches of fabric, wigs, and shoes, but other than that they were supposed to create these looks entirely out of body paint (including painting their faces to resemble the celebrity faces). The queens were very patient with some of the weird choices that the body painters made. I'm sure most of them were thinking that they could do a much better job on their faces than these body painters.

• Love 1
(edited)

They just re-ran Season One of RPDR (no thread for it). I only caught the last few episodes, but it was good to see. I still adore Nina Flowers and Ongina. Compare the announcement of who won from the first season to who won 7th season. First season it was just Ru, the judges and the three finalists in the regular judging room when Ru decided. Ru was also a bit more uncertain and unpolished, which makes sense but surprised me. He just always seems confident. The very first tic tac lunch, he baldly asks one of the three (I forget which) if they had a dark time in their life. Standard fare for the lunch, but it felt clunky to my watching it.

Towards the end Nina learns that Rebecca's boy name is Javier. She shares that her boy name is Jorge. Nina asks Bebe what her boy name is, Bebe says Nea Marshall Kudi Ngwa. Nina says that's beautiful. Bebe asks Nina her name, Nina says Jorge (HOR-hay). Bebe is confused. Nina says, "Like George". Bebe says,"Your name is George?" Nina says, "JORGE! JORGE! JORGE!" Bebe remains confused.

It was funny, and I had forgotten about it.

Edited by Cosmic Muffin
  • Love 3

From the SNL forum:

I can't tell if this is Fred Armisen or a Fred Armisen impersonator. http://youtu.be/2qnFyYD6vgg

Neither—Roy Haylock (aka Bianca Del Rio) is playing Roy. And Willam Belli is Willam. I don't recognize Drew and Misty, though.

"The Wehoans" is a PSA parody of a Saturday Night Live sketch called "The Californians."

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

Drew is played by model Max Emerson, (who is also the eye candy of Adore Delano's "DTF" video), but I couldn't tell who Misty was. I AM ON SOCIAL MEDIA FAR TOO MUCH. Also, I can't help but wonder if Roy's line about "being new around here" means that Bianca is moving to WeHo. I don't think she would because she seems to love NYC and she isn't hurting for jobs, but you never know (Willam has been in L.A. for a good ten years).

• Love 1

I caught the re-airing of  season 4's Snatch Game, and I can't believe what a mess it was. I know Latrice lectured everyone the day after, but what a mess. Latrice, Willam, Sahron Needles and Chad Michael were the best. Not sure what was going on with insane Beyonce and Lady Gaga looking like she was being electrocuted. What a shame, usually this is such a great episode in a season. I thought Sharon's choice to be Michelle Visage was very brave, and could have gone very wrong. But it worked.

Edited by Cosmic Muffin
  • Love 1

I thought Sharon's choice to be Michelle Visage was very brave, and could have gone very wrong. But it worked.

Is that the runway where Sharon says she's always been fascinated by people who have too much plastic surgery—then the RuVealed pop-up says she's since had her teeth & lips did?

Yes to all of that. Also, do they use the exact same pop up of Ru saying,"Who writes this stuff?"

So far Willam definitely seems like she could have won this season. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy Latrice Royal, too, and how mean Phi Phi is.

• Love 2

Anyone see Violet Chacki on the MTV Video Music Awards tonight? She performed with Miley Cyrus at the very end, along with what looked like a slimmer version of Alyssa Edwards. I had a really good picture of them together dancing on stage and can't find the article. I googled Miley Cyrus MTV VMA's 2015 (to see if she actually flashed everyone- she did) and now I can't find the picture that clearly shows Violet on stage with Miley. *sigh*

• Love 1

According to this article a bunch of them were there [at the VMAs]:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2256541/meet-miley-vma-dancers-drag-queens/

That MTV article says Alyssa Edwards "actually owns a studio called Beyond Belief Dance Company, which could be getting a reality show, so watch out for that." Also, Vivienne Pinay is her personal assistant.

I'd not seen Willam's commercial for Magnum ice cream bars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YaqVnmv2Ys

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 2

Wow Miley Cyrus pretty much hired the entire cast of all seasons of RPDR to be her backup dancers didn't she? Even Vivacious, Porkchop and Jiggy Caliente were there! Big up to my girl Jaidyn Dior Fierce! Cupcake Creme and Cake Moss look fierce. Maybe they will be on a future season of RPDR?

• Love 3

RPDR was mentioned in a New York Times article about makeup application, "Instagram Exerts a Force in Beauty Trends": http://nytimes.com/2015/09/03/fashion/instagram-exerts-a-force-in-beauty-trends.html

Contouring

Or really, you could call this Kontouring. With credit due to Jennifer Lopez, the Kardashians brought into vogue this shading and dimension technique, basically using darker shades to chisel the cheekbones, nose and jawline.…

kip the nose contouring, [beau Nelson, a makeup artist to Nicole Richie and Kristen Stewart] said: “It’s so easy to get wrong. And if you do, it’ll look like you’re on ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race.’ ” A touch under the cheekbones, on the other hand, can be wondrously slimming.

Yes to all of that. Also, do they use the exact same pop up of Ru saying,"Who writes this stuff?"

So far Willam definitely seems like she could have won this season. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy Latrice Royal, too, and how mean Phi Phi is.

It's also interesting upon rewatch how Kenya Michaels is seen as such a strong contender in the first few episodes.

And yes, I *live* for Sharon's Michelle in the snatch game, especially when she takes the reins after the bottom row is bombing. "You should have seen what drugs me and Ru were on! Uppers, downers, and candy corns!"

• Love 6

According to this article a bunch of them were there:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2256541/meet-miley-vma-dancers-drag-queens/

Hah. I thought I saw Alyssa. I was going to say, "and someone who looked like a thinner version of Alyssa Edwards." My bad! It was very hard to tell on TV who was who as they were all in ridiculous outfits.

Yay! Season 5. My most favorite season, and the one that got me hooked on RDR! Back when I loved Sharon. Raja and Raven are even doing Fashion Photo Ruview on it too.

Now I'm a die-hard Alaska fan. Gotta throw that in there as she gets so little love around here. If you want to fall in love with Alaska, you need to watch this youtube video of courtney chronicles where they discuss the video of the girl walking down the street in NY city for 10 hours or whatever the hell they called the viral video about verbal harassment.

This is the least eloquent post ever but I'm sick so forgive me.

Edited by Granimal

"RuPaul's Drag Race queens step into Golden Girls shoes in honor of 30th anniversary"

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/03/rupauls-drag-race-golden-girls-30th-anniversary-photos

In the words of Sophia Petrillo, “Picture it”: Logo TV, Sept. 12 and 13—a quartet of Drag Race alums hosting 30 hours of classic Golden Girls episodes in honor of the groundbreaking series’ 30th anniversary. The queens will pay homoage to the post-menopausal Miami foursome in a variety of skits, and the casting is on point: Shangela as the blunt-talking Sophia, Delta Work as the acerbic Dorothy Zbornak, Pandora Boxx as the daffy Rose Nylund, and Willam (going very against-type) as the sex-positive Blanche Devereaux.

I caught the re-airing of  season 4's Snatch Game, and I can't believe what a mess it was. I know Latrice lectured everyone the day after, but what a mess. Latrice, Willam, Sahron Needles and Chad Michael were the best. Not sure what was going on with insane Beyonce and Lady Gaga looking like she was being electrocuted. What a shame, usually this is such a great episode in a season. I thought Sharon's choice to be Michelle Visage was very brave, and could have gone very wrong. But it worked.

And don't forget the cracked out Diana Ross by the queen who claimed she was a trained actor!!
  • Love 1

RuPaul’s Drag Race and the rising fandom of queens brings unwelcome behavior to some LGBT havens

As a former (non-drag) performer who still has friends who perform an array of skills (circus, aerial, go go, burlesque, etc), I would NEVER get on a stage if I weren't performing or invited onto the stage by a performer (like Courteney Cox in that classic Springsteen video). But I have seen the disrespectful/entitled behavior of audience members too many times. Once when my friend was performing on the stage at a night club, some random guy just got up, walked over, and grabbed her ass. I've also seen random people demand to use a performer's tools/equipment and then get pissed when told no. It's ridiculous. I can't imagine how much worse it is for drag queens (there's something about performers who are funny that makes people think they know them and can therefore approach them). If I had drunk people pawing at me and asking for my jewelry, I'd be pretty annoyed.

• Love 1

RuPaul’s Drag Race and the rising fandom of queens brings unwelcome behavior to some LGBT havens

As a former (non-drag) performer who still has friends who perform an array of skills (circus, aerial, go go, burlesque, etc), I would NEVER get on a stage if I weren't performing or invited onto the stage by a performer (like Courteney Cox in that classic Springsteen video). But I have seen the disrespectful/entitled behavior of audience members too many times. Once when my friend was performing on the stage at a night club, some random guy just got up, walked over, and grabbed her ass. I've also seen random people demand to use a performer's tools/equipment and then get pissed when told no. It's ridiculous. I can't imagine how much worse it is for drag queens (there's something about performers who are funny that makes people think they know them and can therefore approach them). If I had drunk people pawing at me and asking for my jewelry, I'd be pretty annoyed.

See this is why I'm hesitant to go see my favorite queens perform.  There always seems to be drunk, rowdy people who spoil it for everyone else.  Obviously I get it--its a bar/club where alcohol (and other goodies) are being served so a few drinks, a little buzz isn't the problem but people not respecting other people's personal space is just rude.  That coupled with the idea that just because you've seen your favorite queen on every ep of RPRD and their youtube videos doesn't mean you know them on a personal level.  Back the F off!

It isn't really a new thing, though. People are unnecessarily rude and grabby with drag queens in general, famous or not. I have been to my share of drag shows and have worked above hecklers as a comedian. The worst offenders are usually 21-year-old babygays (or those younger, with fakes or who pre-gamed before) who don't know their own alcohol tolerance, and young women who don't go out very much.

The general rule is you don't touch a queen or go-go boy unless you are giving them dollars, and don't be a dick about it.

• Love 3

The worst offenders are usually 21-year-old babygays (or those younger, with fakes or who pre-gamed before) who don't know their own alcohol tolerance, and young women who don't go out very much.

The general rule is you don't touch a queen or go-go boy unless you are giving them dollars, and don't be a dick about it.

Ummm what does that mean?

Agreed.  I've never meet a drag queen that's been of RPDR before but I've meet drag queens performing in bars or on a strip like in Vegas/Hollywood etc. and I've found it's always best to ask permission to do something like give them a hug or kiss or whatever. 

I meant kids who are under 21 but have fake ID's or who go to 18+ nights and drink at home beforehand. Most of the RPDR girls get booked at 21+ clubs and often have young fans crying about it (Derrick Barry will be here in June at a block party and a young fan acquaintance of mine is DEVASTATEDDDDDDD. I'm like, "I would kill to be 19 again and do it over. Shut up.")

• Love 3

So I guess Trinity K Bonet was in St. Louis this winter and helped the local girls, only to find at the end of the night that her leather and fur coat had been stolen, probably by one of them. So she lashed out on periscope at "local queens" who treat RPDR girls badly. Phi Phi O'Hara responded on instagram, then Trinity went on the Youtube show Hey Qween!

I'm only going to link to Hey Qween, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm8J5plaNGA , anyone who's interested can search for the rest. Trinity did address all this, and acknowledged that she doesn't communicate that well. But overall it's a really, really good interview. She's calm and pretty articulate. She talks about being a 9th grade drop out as a consequence of running off to Atlanta to pursue a drag career at 15, and how she wants her male persona to get an education now. She talks about how much she makes as a local queen herself dancing in her club, and how that amount doubles or triples when RPDR girls visit the club for appearances, so she's grateful to them when they visit. Anyway, I was really impressed with her in this episode, and I didn't know about her background from what we saw on the show. She talked about that too, 15 hours filmed and edited down to 45 minutes per show. She has a lesbian mom and a gay dad. Then there are three episodes of Look At Huh! where they show her pictures of other drag queens and she talks about them. She said Adore was the only queen who would talk to her on drag race at first, until Bianca came around. She has nothing but praise for Phi Phi and her 365 drag looks project.

I like this series anyway, but this episode is pretty outstanding.

• Love 4

Victoria Porkchop Parker is on the t.v. show Botched right now, getting a botched past nose job redone. They're calling her "Victor", which makes sense. I got home late, turned on Botched, heard her voice, turned around and there she was. I hope she's happy with whatever the result is.

• Love 4

Holy Trannity DXP16 - Live in Manchester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prLnA1ZZwvM

Highlights from the fabulous Holy Trannity DXP16 event with over 20 drag queens performing on stage at O2 Ritz Manchester to a sell out crowd! 

Drag queens include:  Willam, Laganja Estranja, Adore Delano, Jiggly Caliente, Derrick Barry, Blaq Ivory, HTC, Vivienne Lynsey, Pandora, Alaska Thunderfuck 5000,  Rhea Lítre, Kitty Tray, Victoria Secret and more!

15 hours ago, cpcathy said:

Even though Ru said he'd rather get an enema than win an Emmy, I am happy for him and he deserves it 1000%!

I loved his speech last night, where he acknowledged having said that and then said "But now I can have both!" LOL.

Condragulations to Ru. His win was so deserved.

• Love 2

I'm surprised there's no T here re: Phi2 gate, who has been on Twitter saying that WoW used Detox's critique for Alyssa on the show, then WoW released the unedited critique on the website and Phi2 - instead of saying she misremembered - dug her feet in and said it was edited.

also there's stuff about Coco and Roxxxy?! The past few days I've been reading Reddit and the RPDR sub seems to have all the T

• Love 2

Good gosh thanks for the T!  Reddit gets a little jumbled for me and I loose patience trying to navigate thru all the thread memes to get to the the real chicken grease. 

Ok Coco--she's always been a bitter betty to me.  IDK why but she has ALWAYS rubbed me the wrong way.  So this b/s with Roxxy just sounds like a bunch of middle school he said-she said stuff.  Coco is what 64, 65 years old.  She should know better!

Phi2--IDK this is just weird.  It's been pretty obvious to me from the beginning of All Stars that the producers/whomever in charge want to give Phi the villian edit again.  I can't say for sure b/c I'm not part of W.O.W. but this is really screwy.  If Phi2 is correct then I feel really sorry for her because she is going up against a lot of forces that are desperately trying to peg her as a hateful human.  If the producers are correct then Phi2 is using editing as an excuse to cover up insecurities/weakness/whatever in herself and her drag....*shrug*

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Dirtybubble said:

Ok Coco--she's always been a bitter betty to me.  IDK why but she has ALWAYS rubbed me the wrong way.  So this b/s with Roxxy just sounds like a bunch of middle school he said-she said stuff.  Coco is what 64, 65 years old.  She should know better

Was this hyperbole? In any case, it made me laugh. Coco/Martin is my age: 42. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Halo said:

Was this hyperbole? In any case, it made me laugh. Coco/Martin is my age: 42. 

LoL--yeah it was.  Honestly though the way Coco beats her mug, dresses etc. she gives off such an old vibe....IDK what it is but dang she looks like a grandma. 

• Love 7

It's sad that Phi Phi felt the need to lie about the critique (and I do think she lied) because people will hold that against her forever. She pretty much ruined her credibility with that one. Thing is, it is painfully obvious that she IS getting a villain edit, and the other girls have come to defend her numerous times. The only ones who seem to have a problem with her are Alyssa (of course) and Coco, who has a problem with freaking everyone.

Worst thing is, with social media being what it is now, I think she's getting it a lot worse than she did on season 4. I've seen some truly disgusting and horrifying comments towards her and she seems to take a lot of it to heart. And when she lashes out on social media, people take it as confirmation that yes, she really is a demon bitch. She can't really defend herself and she's not handling any of this well at all, and it saddens me a lot.

I hope when the season's over, things calm down and the community can start appreciating her more. 

ETA: Phi Phi just tweeted that she won't be attending the reunion. Good call. She's probably massively pissing off WoW with her complaints about the producers, and they'd just try to make her look even worse if she attended. There's no "clearing the air" or "making a statement" by showing up since WoW controls what questions she gets and what answers they show.

Edited by Xazeal
  • Love 4

I have almost zero sympathy for a person with a career in entertainment on a reality show for the second time 2+ decades into the existence of the genre (death threats, actually tweeting these people with negativity- I think that's bullshit, hence my little bit of sympathy). She's not new to this old game, is what I'm saying, and if she thought she was promised a redemption...I don't think she's that stupid.

Also, let's say she was coming across as fabulously amazing- would that be editing, too, or would that be real? It's hard for me to get behind her when, y'know, she was totally onboard with the fakeness of reality tv when she thought it'd be to her benefit.

As far as a villain edit, I really think her beef isn't with WOW but with the queens (Detox, Ginger, Katya) who have given soundbites that support a PhiPhi-as-villain edit. They gave production building blocks to turn what seems to be a little jealousy and a lot of intensity when she perceives something to be unfair into something more. WoW is just telling a story, which is what they're supposed to do (this isn't a documentary, it's a game show).

She should have just stayed on social media to rebuild her image, plus work in clubs if that's her desire. Seems like she made a bad choice, unless she can work the villain edit (Omarosa made a career out of it, back in the day).

I do wish she'd come to the reunion. She's good tv, and altering your image on a reunion isn't unheard of- I thought Detox was pretty average until her look on the reunion that season. Phi Phi could conceivably work it in her favor, if she played it right.

• Love 2