Type keyword(s) to search

RPDR: In The Media

• Start Topic

I just saw the news….so sad! Chichi had so much energy and was one of the best dancers the show ever had. I'll never forget her performance twerking upside down. She was always one of my favourites, even though she tended to struggle to keep up with the seasoned queens.

• Love 2
On 8/22/2020 at 12:57 AM, swanpride said:

I just saw the news….so sad! Chichi had so much energy and was one of the best dancers the show ever had. I'll never forget her performance twerking upside down. She was always one of my favourites, even though she tended to struggle to keep up with the seasoned queens.

I know Chi Chi was the self-proclaimed “Cheap Queen” but I’m more fascinated by a queen who can sew on the fly with a shoestring budget than queens who come in with very expensive-looking wardrobe (such as Aquaria or Asia O’Hara, even though I appreciate their drag). Drag Race has unfortunately moved away from showcasing more of these types of scrappy budget queens in recent times, other than say Monique Heart.

• Love 3

Chi Chi was the queen I wanted to bake a little longer, use her bookings to build up a slightly flashier wardrobe and come back for another All-Stars season. She just needed resources and a little time to figure out how to use what she had to her advantage and she could have run away with the whole show. She was such a fun, kind person and I'm so sad she's gone.

• Love 3

Other Emmy Awards that RPDR won this year:

OUTSTANDING CONTEMPORARY HAIRSTYLING FOR A VARIETY, NONFICTION, OR REALITY PROGRAM
OUTSTANDING PICTURE EDITING FOR A STRUCTURED REALITY OR COMPETITION PROGRAM - I'm That Bitch
OUTSTANDING CASTING FOR A REALITY PROGRAM
OUTSTANDING HOST FOR A REALITY OR COMPETITION PROGRAM - RuPaul

• Love 1
On 9/20/2020 at 11:22 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Other Emmy Awards that RPDR won this year:

OUTSTANDING CASTING FOR A REALITY PROGRAM

Was casting a sexual predator that had to be edited out in post really 'outstanding casting' worthy of awards?

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Glade said:

Was casting a sexual predator that had to be edited out in post really 'outstanding casting' worthy of awards?

Do you throw out the whole carton of eggs if one of them is bad?  When the show was cast was this known?  

• Love 3

I think editing out someone who actually made Top 4 and was most likely an integral part of the storylines does require a lot of creative reimagining. 

Edited by Not4Me
  • Love 3
On 10/20/2020 at 5:32 AM, RoxiP said:

Do you throw out the whole carton of eggs if one of them is bad

No, I wouldn't give the egg farmer an award for an oustanding carton if one of them is bad.  The casting team didn't deserve an award for this act of negligence.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 3

Meet the Queens of Season 13!  First episode on VH1 at 7pm on New Year's Day.

Looks like a good group.  I will miss the experience of viewing parties this time around but I'm glad these queens will have some performing income.  I am glad it's on basic cable again, when after it was first announced that the last All-Stars season would be on a premium channel, I've been watching out for that possibility.  I know many who can afford a few $5 cocktails for bar viewing more readily even than basic cable, but maybe some of us will get together and screenshare on Zoom or something.

I'm a little bemused that there are once again no San Francisco / Bay Area queens when we have so many wonderful ones to offer.  But I'm sure that will be forgotten once things keep going.

• Love 2
On 1/5/2021 at 9:19 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Ru discusses casting the first trans man on RPDR:

It's interesting to watch otherwise eloquent people like Ru trip over themselves trying to figure out how to refer to Gottmik to not seem disrespectful and then end up looking that way anyway when they deviate from how they'd refer to a cis male drag queen, effectively being othering rather than inclusive. I hope this isn't a theme of the season because I'm already exhausted.

I saw the pit stop video with Trixie and Shea reacting to the premiere the other day, and oh boy, Shea had no idea how to handle this, either.

Edited by belligerent
added some stuff to clarify

Soju responds to sexual assault allegations

According to Kev's account, they met Ha on Grindr at 17-years-old in January 2016. They recount a dynamic that included pushing someone beyond their stated boundaries, "abuse, manipulation, and gaslighting." They also allege that in October 2016, the pair engaged in intercourse while Kev was "blackout drunk' and could "barely walk." According to this description, Kev would not have been able to give consent.

In one instance, according to Kev, in January 2018 when they were 19 and Ha was 26, the former Drag Race competitor physically forced them to perform oral sex. As Ha was driving, Kev could not go home until they complied with the demands according to the account. In the days to follow, Kev blocked Ha and the two haven't spoken since.

Since Kev's post others have come forward with their own stories. One details a survivor's experiences with Ha from September 2016 to December 2017. In it, they recount repeatedly having their stated boundaries ignored.

In the wake of sexual assault allegations surfacing online, RuPaul's Drag Race season 11 competitor Soju has deleted their Twitter account and changed her Instagram account to private.

"While I await full advice from my legal representative to make an official statement, I will share that I have anticipated these claims after threats and an extortion attempt were sent to me as recently as January 2020," Ha told Out in an emailed statement. "These claims were first brought to my attention by a contact asking for a large sum of money, threats that they would make my life difficult if I did not pay, as well as full admission their lawyer saw this 'case' as an opportunity to spread her name. I have photographic proof of these attempts, among other evidence to point these claims have been orchestrated towards me, and I will share when my full case is prepared." So far, those who have spoken out have not publicly stated they were pressing charges.

"In the meantime, I ask for open-mindedness from the community as I seek to bring truth," Ha continued. "I would never dismiss or diminish a victim's experience, but all of the current evidence presented indicates this has been a plan in the works for more than year. Thank you for your patience and understanding."

• Love 2

KNPR, the Nevada NPR station, had a segment on their State of Nevada program that covers the history of drag in Las Vegas. Coco Montrese is interviewed and there's lots of talk about RPDR. They also have one of the producers of Dragapalooza, which features many Drag Race performers, who discusses how that happened and the new concert film. If you have 23 minutes the audio has much more detail than the article.

I've just about had it with this extortionate streaming BS. I'm also just about done with this show. This season is like 11, and I'm sure AS6 will consist of Silky, PhiPhi, Serena ChaCha and a bunch of first boots. If my friend finally gets cast, I will watch at his watch parties, which hopefully we can do by then. 

Paramount + is a rebrand of CBS All Access, which probably actually is fairly successful due to BB. I want Discovery + to fail so bad I can taste it. Every night in the few hours I watch tv, I feel like I see 50 ads for it. Can't be doing that well if you have to hammer people with it more than a month after launch. 

When will they learn? Just like not everyone can afford the premium channels, many of us can't afford streaming. I'm tired of hearing "it's only $4.99!" Well, not if you have to upgrade all your tech to be able to do it, pay the extra wifi charge to the cable company, and then get 19 damn services just to watch what you could watch normally a few months ago (and don't forget, you'll still be paying for that cable tier, since it includes channels that aren't streaming.) There is a change.org petition to make these companies allow free access to their streaming to those of us already paying for their channels via cable or satellite (not that it will change anything, but it's a start at making our feelings known.)

• Love 7

‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ Producers to Develop International Drag Queen Singing Competition Series ‘Queen of the Universe’

The producers of “RuPaul’s Drag Race” have been booked and busy producing a new unscripted international drag queen singing competition (that’ll reportedly blow your wig off) for ViacomCBS’ all-new SVOD rebrand Paramount Plus.

“Queen of the Universe,” produced by World of Wonder, the company behind “Drag Race,” promises to be a singing competition like no other, wherein drag queens from all around the world compete to see who really rules the drag universe.

Producers Guild of America nomination!

Award for Outstanding Producer of Game & Competition Television

“The Amazing Race” (CBS) – Season 32
Producers: Jerry Bruckheimer, Bertram van Munster, Jonathan Littman, Elise Doganieri, Mark Vertullo, Phil Keoghan

“The Masked Singer” (FOX) – Season 3, Season 4
Producers: eligibility determination pending

“Nailed It!” (Netflix) – Season 4

“RuPaul’s Drag Race” ( (Season 12)

“The Voice” (NBC) – Season 18, Season 19

• Useful 1

Opera Philadelphia presents Sasha Velour in 'The Island We Made'.

To some, The Island We Made may not look or sound like opera; there is no storyline in the video, filmed by Matthew Placek, or point at which a singer belts their feelings out to the rafters. In fact, the character we see isn't even singing – in characteristic drag fashion, Velour is lip-synching to the voice of an unseen singer, the musician Eliza Bagg.

The Island We Made does share one important aspect with traditional opera — an enormity of feeling. Negrón and Velour wrote it together, around the theme of mother-daughter relationships. Velour recalls speaking to Negrón about their experiences with mothers – Velour keeps her head shaved, and often performs without a wig, in tribute to her mother – about care and of all the ways relationships can be formed in gestures and silence.

6 hours ago, Ananayel said:

Has hell frozen over? Willam - back in the World of Wonder fold at last. Yay!

What makes you say that?  Netflix is hosting and putting it on tiktok--I don't see any indication that WOW is involved.

• Useful 1

Fascinating article about the expenses of competing on Drag Race.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3dmav/what-does-it-cost-to-go-on-rupauls-drag-race

I especially like the points paid to Yvie Oddly -- she's a crafty queen and remains largely a crafty queen, and she pisses people off, and I live for her. Some of it is local pride for her. A lot of it though is she is authentic and not afraid to piss people off, and I get her point about the whole H&M dress thing...even if it was a little classist. Given where almost all the contestants end up with their careers post Drag Race, I would think it was worth the investment were I in their large shoes. But I do miss the larger DIY spirit that used to be a stronger part of the subculture.

• Love 2