Type keyword(s) to search

RPDR: In The Media

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Willam gets on my damn nerves and isn't as funny as he thinks he is.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/09/28/rupauls-drag-race-star-willam-belli-shocks-fans-with-transphobic-comments/amp/

If this was intended as a joke, Willam isn't nearly as funny or smart enough as he needs to be to pull it off.

Holy shit. Willam took it WAY too far. Agreed, if he thought he was being funny he really failed miserably.

Yeah, I really thought Willam was more evolved than that. What a downer.

Speaking of queens making asses of themselves, Nina Bonina Brown did a video blaming Valentina fans for the Mexico City earthquake. The backlash was so bad that a promoter in my city fired her from their Halloween show and replaced her with Aja.

• Love 1
On 9/29/2017 at 0:25 PM, OnceSane said:

I'm so glad Courtney Act was there to rebut Willam's fucked up remarks.  Not funny at all, Willam, just asshole-y.

On his YouTube there's a video of him talking about it even further with Courtney Act and a part where he calls another Courtney(from drag coven) to apologize for his bio queen comments. 

I still like him. He seemed honestly contrite(but he's an actor so who knows).

16 hours ago, JakeyJokes said:

Yeah, I really thought Willam was more evolved than that. What a downer.

Speaking of queens making asses of themselves, Nina Bonina Brown did a video blaming Valentina fans for the Mexico City earthquake. The backlash was so bad that a promoter in my city fired her from their Halloween show and replaced her with Aja.

Nina just doesn't want to win. 

I don't know if any of you listen to Ru's What's the T podcast, but the most recent episode features Jinkx and it brings up the possibility of an all-winners All Stars. That could be absolutely amazing! It also seems like Jinkx may be one of Ru's personal favorites of all the queens.

• Love 1

All Stars 3 cast announced:

• BenDeLaCreme (season 6)
  • Trixie Mattel (season 7)
  • Milk (season 6)
  • Thorgy Thor (season 8)
  • Kennedy Davenport (season 7)
  • Aja (season 9)
  • Chi Chi DeVayne (season 8)
  • Morgan McMichaels (season 2)
  • Shangela (seasons 2 and 3)

http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/20/rupauls-drag-race-all-stars-season-3-cast-announced/

Some of them, I expected like Thorgy, Kennedy, Aja, and Chi Chi. I'm not surprised by BenDeLa or Trixie. Morgan is a deep cut, but like Tatianna, not unwelcome. Then there is...sigh...ugh...Shangela. Perhaps this will be the nail in the coffin and she'll stop turning up like a bad penny.

Edited by HunterHunted

I'm ok with the cast and there are more queens that I love/admire than not. As it currently stands I'd had to say I'm team Trixie Mattel and Team Chi Chi DeVayne.

The only thing that may change that is IF the 'mystery surprise' or whatever the fuck they're calling it, is Valentina! The queens will instantly be Team Aja or Team Valentina! Drama and ... um, drama! I'd be Team Valentina, by the way ...,now, don't hate me because she's so beautiful like linnnnnda evangaliiiiiista! 

I know who the "spoiler queen" is but I think it's just something for fans to chew and and try to decipher when it's just a funny red herring. I still think the spoiler queen is

Spoiler

Valentina

for reasons I stated above. Also, I know absolutely nothing about what I'm talking about!

On 7/20/2017 at 8:55 PM, kieyra said:

Ok, first off: I know nothing about Rose McGowan, not as a person or performer. I had to hit up google just to confirm my vague suspicion that she was in Charmed, a show I never watched.

With that in mind:

Usually I find RuPaul's podcast guests fun and pleasant or at least tolerable. I've gotten through 43 minutes of Rose McGowan somehow, 27 left to go, and she's aggravated me enough to stop and post about it. She has a very specific message and that's fine, but RuPaul keeps trying to get her to look at things from a slightly different perspective and she keeps aggressively cutting him off or talking over him and arguing with him. Over and over. He spends a significant part of the program trying to make some whimsical point about Samantha from Bewitched, and McGowan basically just keeps interrupting him to state that the show was written by a man, never allowing him the basic courtesy of making his point.

I get a lot of what she's saying, especially in 2017, and I get that being quiet and polite doesn't get you far, but I'm pretty sure RuPaul was trying to gently work his way to the suggestion that she was going to damage herself with all that anger. Like, he was genuinely trying to reach out to her as a person, but she had her head so far up her own ass she wasn't hearing him.

I don't know. If I've got this one wrong and she's genuinely doing important work (she paints herself as this transcendent agent of cultural change), someone tell me. She just came off as self-important and rude.

Quoting myself here because I can't edit my post from so long ago.

I guess it's clear now why she's so angry, and yeah I feel like a jackass. 

18 minutes ago, kieyra said:

Quoting myself here because I can't edit my post from so long ago.

I guess it's clear now why she's so angry, and yeah I feel like a jackass. 

You didn't know about her unfortunate history with Harvey Weinstein. Plus McGowan's history growing up the sexually exploitative cult, the Children of God (Family International), didn't help matters.

Additionally, Aaron Spelling pushed the female creator and showrunner of Charmed off the show too. Spelling was an influence in making Charmed sillier and more naked. There are periods during the later seasons of Charmed where the cast is barely wearing clothing and the writing is pointlessly exploitative.

The problem is that Ru approached this interview as if it was silliness that could be addressed in a lighthearted manner. However, no one associated with Charmed is able to address it with any jocularity. No one will really talk about what went down with Shannen Doherty. They won't talk about how the writing became way too sexualized. Furthermore, Rose has had such a sexually traumatic history that she's constantly triggered when the subject comes up.

• Love 3
On 11/29/2017 at 11:40 PM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

FYI - if anyone is in the Bay Area, this Sunday there is an event called We're All Queens! It's a drag ball for kids hosted by Honey Mahogany and the proceeds will fund Drag Queen Story Hour (where drag queens read books to kids at public libraries). Tickets and more information are available are http://dragqueenstoryhour.brownpapertickets.com

An article about the drag ball! I was hoping they would mention Honey Mahogany but it sounds like it was a great event.

The Christmas Queens tour is coming!

'Tis the season to be Mary! RuPaul's Drag Race judge Michelle Visage hosts Christmas Queens Ginger Minj, Jinkx Monsoon, Ivy Winters, Manila Luzon, Peppermint, Phi Phi O'Hara, Sharon Needles, and Thorgy Thor for a holiday spectacular you won't want to miss!

Dec 17 - New York, NY - Stage 48 - 21+

Dec 19 - Boston, MA - Royale - All Ages

Dec 21 - Chicago, IL - Metro - All Ages

Dec 22 - Los Angeles, CA - The Ace Theatre - All Ages

Dec 23 - San Francisco, CA - Mezzanine - 21+

• Love 1

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

i put together a survey which asks how/if opinions of drag changed after viewing RPDR which is all ANONYMOUS and SAFE.

I got 80% in the first half of the assignment so I'm hoping to keep it up in the second half of my research project! it should only take a few minutes to fill out! thank you!!! will really be helping me out!

https://goo.gl/forms/rp14cpfaUfwnfoiy2

Edited by hnhrg
19 minutes ago, WhineandCheez said:

Can anyone tell me if the new RuPauls Drag Race book that came out in November is any good?  There are ZERO reviews on Amazon.

All I foud when I looked was this, which I think isn't real. The cover boasts that it got its content from Wikipedia. Fake news?

(edited)

Cast for Berkeley Rep's Angels in America announced!

tickets start at $40

The show runs April 17 - July 22 and there is a 50% discount for anyone under the age of 35, a 20% military discount, and $10 rush tickets for students and seniors over the age of 65.

Angels in America Tony winner Stephen Spinella will return to Tony Kushner’s two-part drama, this time taking on the role of Roy Cohn. Spinella made his Broadway debut in 1993 as Prior, winning a Tony that year for Millennium Approaches and another in 2014 for Perestroika.

Berkeley Rep Artistic Director Tony Taccone, currently celebrating his 20th anniversary season, will direct.

The cast will also include Caldwell Tidicue, known more commonly as RuPaul’s Drag Race season eight winner Bob the Drag Queen, as Belize, marking his first major stage production outside his drag career.

Rounding out the company are Randy Harrison (Queer as Folk) as Prior, Danny Binstock (Broadway’s Breakfast at Tiffany’s) as Joe Pitt, Randy Danson (Venus Off-Broadway) as the Angel, Benjamin T. Ismail as Louis Ironson, Bethany Jillard as Harper Pitt, and Carmen Roman as Hannah.

The California production will run shortly after the Broadway transfer of the recent National Theatre revival opens at the Neil Simon Theatre with a cast that includes Nathan Lane, Andrew Garfield, Lee Pace, and Denise Gough.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

Nancy Pelosi will be a guest judge on this year's All Stars

Adam Lambert and Todrick Hall will be returning as guest judges for S3 All Stars

Other guest judges include:

• Broadway legend, Kristin Chenoweth
  • Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Tituss Burgess
  • High School Musical star, Vanessa Hudgens
  • Comedian, Nicole Byer
  • Fashion designer, Marc Jacobs
  • Pretty Little Liars actress, Shay Mitchell
  • Glee star, Chris Colfer
  • Entourage star, Constance Zimmer
  • UnREAL actor, Jeffrey Bowyer-Chapman

• Love 1
(edited)

Cast for new Go-Go's musical Head Over Heels announced

Head Over Heels, the new musical comedy featuring the iconic songs of The Go-Go's - the most successful female rock band of all time - will officially open on Broadway at Hudson Theatre (141 West 44th Street) on Thursday, July 26, 2018 (performances begin Saturday, June 23).

The announcement was delivered by The Go-Go's alongside the musical's director Michael Mayer. Prior to its Broadway bow, Head Over Heels will play a limited engagement at San Francisco's Curran theater from April 10, 2018 through May 6, 2018 (opening night is Wednesday, April 18).

An inspired mash-up of posh and punk, Head Over Heels is an unpredictable, Elizabethan romp about a royal family that must prevent an oracle's prophecy of doom. In order to save their beloved kingdom, the family embarks on an extravagant journey wrought with mistaken identities, jealous lovers, sexual awakening, scandal and self-discovery, where everything (and everyone) is not quite what it seems.

The principal cast of Head Over Heels features Andrew Durand (Spring Awakening), Taylor Iman Jones (Groundhog Day), Jeremy Kushnier (Cirque du Soleil Paramour), Bonnie Milligan (Kinky Boots tour; Broadway debut), Peppermint ("RuPaul's Drag Race"; Broadway debut; the first trans-woman actress to create a principal role on Broadway), Tom Alan Robbins (The Lion King, original cast), Alexandra Socha (Spring Awakening) and Rachel York (Disaster!).

Head Over Heels features The Go-Go's iconic hit songs "We Got the Beat," "Get Up and Go," "Cool Jerk," "Vacation," "Our Lips Are Sealed," "Lust to Love," "Head Over Heels" and Belinda Carlisle's solo hits "Mad About You" and "Heaven is a Place on Earth."

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Reddit has a very blurry glimpse of next week's Snatch Game. I won't post any of the guesses, but the thread on trying to peer at the blur and guess not only which queen is where, and who are they playing, but how many queens are there? There are some blurry shadows of the Snatch Game contestants which get counted as contestants, which throws the number off. Although they might have brought back an eliminated queen. Who can say? I'm enjoying how little actual facts there are to be gleaned from this blur.

12 hours ago, cousin oliver said:

Milk interviewing everybody's new favourite gay Olympian Adam Rippon. On ice!

Loved it. I can see that given the stereotype of men in figure skating all being gay has resulted in a more prevalent attitude of denial. I hope it continues to shift to more accepting but it's hard to say how it will given those in charge. Ashley was adorable, too.

But Adam's "I'm afraid of my potential" as the reason he hasn't done drag was magical. He's fabulous.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

But Adam's "I'm afraid of my potential" as the reason he hasn't done drag was magical.

I was actually thinking that! I was like "he's got the Courtney Act bone structure, he'd be too damn good."

That video was the most I have ever enjoyed Milk. Loved the self-deprecation and the "I was an ice dancer. So I skated with a girl...who looked JUST LIKE THIS."

• Love 4

Wow, everything is Rupersized now. I can't wait.

VH1 announced Friday that we can expect the next season of the massively successful drag institution on Thursday, March 22 ― and each episode will be a whopping 90 minutes long.  Not only that, but VH1 is bringing back “Drag Race” aftershow “Untucked,” which will air immediately following each episode.  That’s two hours of “Drag Race” every single week.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rupauls-drag-race-season-10_us_5a86fd19e4b00bc49f437939

Edited by Glade
  • Love 6
On 2/17/2018 at 1:11 PM, ClareWalks said:

Interesting take on race and Drag Race that was been particularly relevant in recent episodes.

Thanks for posting this. Though, I do question any inclusion of opinions from Tyra, who is objectively terrible. However, I've always been perplexed by Pearl's success because I've always thought she was laziest stankest queen on her season and honestly would have been one of the top 5 assholes on any season. Though exploration of the Kennedy/Katya and Nina/Valentina lip synchs was/is compelling because it's pretty clear that Katya and Valentina lost those battles fair and square. However, some of the Katya and Valentina fans don't seem to see or understand that. I'm also still perplexed that Shea could come out with a bunch of really good singles and get overlooked by that abomination that is CLAT.

Furthermore, there seems to be no awareness from some of the queens about the contributions from queens of color for developing essential art forms like voguing, reading, and shade.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 6