Type keyword(s) to search

RPDR: In The Media

• Start Topic

On 5/4/2017 at 3:16 PM, Watermelon said:

I don't remember it being overly funny, but the list is called "tightest" characters, which for me? Completely invalidates miss Alyssa Edwards.

On 5/4/2017 at 5:15 PM, ClareWalks said:

I like the list except Alyssa. It was somewhat entertaining but not nearly as funny as Sharon Needles' Visage, for example (which is an honorable mention).

Yeah, I rewatched Alyssa. Terrible. It was as if Alyssa was channeling Faye Dunaway who was like "Oh no, I'm not dead yet you ignorant wretch. Joan get your insubstantial ass over here."

Then the ghost of Joan Crawford joins them and says "Go to hell Dunaway. If anyone is going to show this drag queen how to be me, it's going to be me, Joan Crawford. Wait...this Alyssa person barely knows who either of us are. Everyone is always praising Davis because of her work in theater. This might be my greatest challenge yet. I'm going to possess Alyssa and show the world the true talent of Joan Crawford. Nevermind, Alyssa's vocabulary consists of malaprops and tongue pops."

• Love 1
20 hours ago, okerry said:

hahahahaha SNL has a skit with a bunch of tough mechanics talking about how they love RPDR! Chris Pine and the others are doing LSFYL!

Thanks for the tip, okerry, I found a video of this sketch on Youtube. Fun quote from Reddit discussion about this sketch,"the best thing about this is that both Chris Pine and Bobby Moynihan can easily defeat Charlie [in a lipsynk] lmao."

• Love 6
20 hours ago, okerry said:

hahahahaha SNL has a skit with a bunch of tough mechanics talking about how they love RPDR! Chris Pine and the others are doing LSFYL!

This skit was sooo funny! The one mechanic explaining to the others what fish/fishy actually meant had us lol'ing.

• Love 4
On 5/6/2017 at 10:31 PM, HunterHunted said:

Yeah, I rewatched Alyssa. Terrible. It was as if Alyssa was channeling Faye Dunaway who was like "Oh no, I'm not dead yet you ignorant wretch. Joan get your insubstantial ass over here."

Then the ghost of Joan Crawford joins them and says "Go to hell Dunaway. If anyone is going to show this drag queen how to be me, it's going to be me, Joan Crawford. Wait...this Alyssa person barely knows who either of us are. Everyone is always praising Davis because of her work in theater. This might be my greatest challenge yet. I'm going to possess Alyssa and show the world the true talent of Joan Crawford. Nevermind, Alyssa's vocabulary consists of malaprops and tongue pops."

On her YouTube channel, Katya -- who loved it -- described it as "She is doing Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford as Alyssa Edwards."

• Love 6
(edited)
11 hours ago, JakeyJokes said:

On her YouTube channel, Katya -- who loved it -- described it as "She is doing Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford as Alyssa Edwards."

I love Katya so freaking much. I live for UNHhhh with her bff Tracy Martell. I hope we get a regular episode this week. ETA: ask and you shall receive! It went up a few hours after my post.

Edited by Halo

Wow, I'm bummed about Mathu, but love it if he did do only 1/2 face and say bye.  I've been thinking Ru's makeup and hair isn't quite as on point.  That makes me so sad if it's true.  I love Mathu.

(edited)

Is this the right place to talk about our favorite RuPaul "ruview" shows/articles online? Because I have a whole circuit I make. Friday night, after the show, I read the recap here and watch the "Extra lap" recap on Youtube. Saturday, obviously, that's untucked. on Sunday, Afterbuzz tv broadcasts live on Youtube (I don't always catch the live show, but I watch it later).  Then on Monday (or sometimes Tuesday), I listen to  T-Lo's podcast, although they have gotten REALLY negative this year. Usually by Monday I can also watch Soju's recap show on Youtube. Raven and Raja's show comes out on Wednesdays, usually. Then on Thursday, my favorite ruview comes out -- the Movie Bitches recap on Youtube. I also watch the Canal Street Online recap -- that's a good one, but it comes in at random times. Bland Canyon's written recaps are the delight of my life, but they take forever. (They're worth it). There might be others. I am aware that it is coo-coo bananas that I spend easily 20 times as much time "ruviewing" the episode as I do watching it in the first place. This show does weird things to me.

Edited by Nerdlove
  • Love 5
On 5/18/2017 at 6:01 PM, Nerdlove said:

Then on Monday (or sometimes Tuesday), I listen to  T-Lo's podcast, although they have gotten REALLY negative this year. 

I know!  I usually agree with them, but I love this season.  Tom keeps saying the queens are lackluster. They don't seem to appreciate Shea at all. 

I can't remember who on this board first turned me on to MovieBitches but I owe that person so much.  I've been marathoning all their reviews like crazy.  Also, I've started to watch the Matty Rants recap too: 

Farrah Moan, Pandora, and Manila were on Watch What Happens Live portraying various Real Housewives. They were Lisa Vanderpump from Beverly Hills, Vicki Gunvalson from Orange County, and Teresa Giudice from New Jersey. Manila was Teresa and she did the best job out of all of them.

• Love 1

Nina on brief Hey, Qween!

Hi, All, Nina did a brief episode of Hey Qwwn. It's just 18 minutes, no Lady Red or Look at huh (unless they upload that later). Johnny was sweeter and more supportive than usual, and Nina was pretty relaxed and forthcoming. She did a black and white look based on a vampire. For the first time I thought that she and Dax might have something in common, but I know generally Nina doesn't feel supported or included by the Atlanta queens. 

Anyway, check it out. I enjoyed it, and I thought Johnny had a nice, light touch with Nina that got good results. Johnny also tried to encourage her to take advantage of the post show benefits, but I don't know if she'll be able to do that or not.

• Love 1
(edited)

So Season 2 is going crazy on social media now. Morgan McMichaels was booked at Mickey's for her birthday yesterday, and Tyra was going to join her, but Tyra came for Raven (maybe? I'm not sure?), Morgan demanded that Tyra apologize to Raven, Tyra posted MM's photo with her birth date and yesterday's date, so it looked like she died, Mystique and others were in tears thinking MM was dead, 
MM tells Mickey's she doesn't want to be at her birthday show with Tyra, so she's  pulling out, Mickey's calls Tyra and tells her they'll pay her, but she's out of the show, someone records this and posts it, MM records and posts a long response, Tatiana tells Tyra to calm down and apologize, Tyra posts Tati's actual phone number, Tati posts Tyra's real phone number, and I think that's where we are now.

There are all kinds of links and comments at the Reddit RPDR Drama site. So, is Trya actually mentally ill, or just mean? Someone said of the MM Tyra part that it seems like personality disorder vs personality disorder. MM's long response veers from calling Tyra disgusting and poisonous to saying she loves her and they're sisters and back again, several times. MM also keeps saying that she isn't dead, but Sahara is, and Tyra is disgusting. Weirdly, Delta, Detox and Raven have stayed out of all this as far as I know.

Seriously, seriously messy. RPDR Drama also has unmedicated Lucian Pianni rocking out to the Season 6 rap song.

Edited by Cosmic Muffin
  • Love 2
On 5/29/2017 at 5:58 PM, Cosmic Muffin said:

So, is Trya actually mentally ill, or just mean?

A little bit of both, I think; too much weed (on pair with Lucian), too much fundie christianity, too little education, class, and wit, and no growth at all since season 2 taping.  

• Love 1
On 5/27/2017 at 8:44 PM, Cosmic Muffin said:

Nina on brief Hey, Qween!

Hi, All, Nina did a brief episode of Hey Qwwn. It's just 18 minutes, no Lady Red or Look at huh (unless they upload that later). Johnny was sweeter and more supportive than usual, and Nina was pretty relaxed and forthcoming. She did a black and white look based on a vampire. For the first time I thought that she and Dax might have something in common, but I know generally Nina doesn't feel supported or included by the Atlanta queens. 

Anyway, check it out. I enjoyed it, and I thought Johnny had a nice, light touch with Nina that got good results. Johnny also tried to encourage her to take advantage of the post show benefits, but I don't know if she'll be able to do that or not.

Thanks for posting the link. Johnny was really sweet to her. He can be pretty shady so that was nice to see. I love Nina. Like a lot of her fans I have been where she is. I don't think people who have been bullied and struggle with depression ever fully get over it. But you can learn to manage it and cut down on the very negative and hurtful self talk. She seems to be going to a lot of gigs based on her IG so I am hoping the show is allowing her to make a living doing this. I just hope she doesn't let her insecurities get in her way. She needs to keep a good relationship with WOW since they employee the queens in all sorts of ways. 

My only concern is her emotional attachment to Ru. It seems like she feels they really connected....and maybe they have. But it is well known that Ru is all business and once the camera stops she isn't really interested in engaging with the contestants on a personal level.  

• Love 3

It was pretty good, though I think Hardwick overly favored Alaska's answers and Katya should have won. Sound familiar? I kid--I am fine with the results of AS2. Insert snake emoji here. 

There's also a weird Facebook Live recording of the queens eating dinner before the show. 

https://youtu.be/JqLtnut_vf8

13 hours ago, Glade said:

That's the promo for S3, not AS3! Even if AS3 does film this summer, I still don't think we're anywhere near getting a teaser promo. 

Oh, that explains the "January 2011". I thought that was a typo.

• Love 2

Just in case everyone has been collectively blacked out on hairspray fumes, I'll just mention that the AAA girls dropped a really fun album available on iTunes now *ding* called "All Access"

RPDR received seven Emmy nominations!

OUTSTANDING REALITY-COMPETITION PROGRAM

OUTSTANDING HOST FOR A REALITY OR REALITY-COMPETITION PROGRAM

OUTSTANDING COSTUMES FOR VARIETY, NONFICTION OR REALITY PROGRAMMING

OUTSTANDING PICTURE EDITING FOR A STRUCTURED OR COMPETITION REALITY PROGRAM

OUTSTANDING HAIRSTYLING FOR A MULTI-CAMERA SERIES OR SPECIAL

OUTSTANDING MAKEUP FOR A MULTI-CAMERA SERIES OR SPECIAL (NON-PROSTHETIC)

OUTSTANDING CASTING FOR A REALITY PROGRAM

Untucked also received an Emmy nomination:

OUTSTANDING UNSTRUCTURED REALITY PROGRAM

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

RPDR received seven Emmy nominations!

OUTSTANDING REALITY-COMPETITION PROGRAM

OUTSTANDING HOST FOR A REALITY OR REALITY-COMPETITION PROGRAM

OUTSTANDING COSTUMES FOR VARIETY, NONFICTION OR REALITY PROGRAMMING

OUTSTANDING PICTURE EDITING FOR A STRUCTURED OR COMPETITION REALITY PROGRAM

OUTSTANDING HAIRSTYLING FOR A MULTI-CAMERA SERIES OR SPECIAL

OUTSTANDING MAKEUP FOR A MULTI-CAMERA SERIES OR SPECIAL (NON-PROSTHETIC)

OUTSTANDING CASTING FOR A REALITY PROGRAM

Untucked also received an Emmy nomination:

OUTSTANDING UNSTRUCTURED REALITY PROGRAM

Just as a side note: it's former competitors Raven and Delta Work nominated for the makeup and hair awards. In case you were at home, keeping track of whether or not drag will ever be mainstream.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Kaboom 2.0 said:

How awesome would it be if Ru won Outstanding Host again! A few other awards in other categories would be grand too. :-)

Agree. Even if the recent season(s) have been a bit meh (speaking only for myself here), I feel the show and Ru have cumulatively earned all the awards they're finally getting. 

• Love 2

We changed our cable package to save money and lost Logo. I hope VH1 or some other channel airs Bob's Suspiciously Large Woman. I like Bob. I think that's a great title, too.  I'm sure I'll catch this sometime, but I'm impatient.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Cosmic Muffin said:

We changed our cable package to save money and lost Logo. I hope VH1 or some other channel airs Bob's Suspiciously Large Woman. I like Bob. I think that's a great title, too.  I'm sure I'll catch this sometime, but I'm impatient.

I'm in the same boat on vacation--no Logo, so no special last night. I don't see it on demand via my direct tv now or my parents' cable. 

(edited)

Ok, first off: I know nothing about Rose McGowan, not as a person or performer. I had to hit up google just to confirm my vague suspicion that she was in Charmed, a show I never watched.

With that in mind:

Usually I find RuPaul's podcast guests fun and pleasant or at least tolerable. I've gotten through 43 minutes of Rose McGowan somehow, 27 left to go, and she's aggravated me enough to stop and post about it. She has a very specific message and that's fine, but RuPaul keeps trying to get her to look at things from a slightly different perspective and she keeps aggressively cutting him off or talking over him and arguing with him. Over and over. He spends a significant part of the program trying to make some whimsical point about Samantha from Bewitched, and McGowan basically just keeps interrupting him to state that the show was written by a man, never allowing him the basic courtesy of making his point.

I get a lot of what she's saying, especially in 2017, and I get that being quiet and polite doesn't get you far, but I'm pretty sure RuPaul was trying to gently work his way to the suggestion that she was going to damage herself with all that anger. Like, he was genuinely trying to reach out to her as a person, but she had her head so far up her own ass she wasn't hearing him.

I don't know. If I've got this one wrong and she's genuinely doing important work (she paints herself as this transcendent agent of cultural change), someone tell me. She just came off as self-important and rude.

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 5
(edited)
19 hours ago, kieyra said:

Ok, first off: I know nothing about Rose McGowan, not as a person or performer. I had to hit up google just to confirm my vague suspicion that she was in Charmed, a show I never watched.

With that in mind:

Usually I find RuPaul's podcast guests fun and pleasant or at least tolerable. I've gotten through 43 minutes of Rose McGowan somehow, 27 left to go, and she's aggravated me enough to stop and post about it. She has a very specific message and that's fine, but RuPaul keeps trying to get her to look at things from a slightly different perspective and she keeps aggressively cutting him off or talking over him and arguing with him. Over and over. He spends a significant part of the program trying to make some whimsical point about Samantha from Bewitched, and McGowan basically just keeps interrupting him to state that the show was written by a man, never allowing him the basic courtesy of making his point.

I get a lot of what she's saying, especially in 2017, and I get that being quiet and polite doesn't get you far, but I'm pretty sure RuPaul was trying to gently work his way to the suggestion that she was going to damage herself with all that anger. Like, he was genuinely trying to reach out to her as a person, but she had her head so far up her own ass she wasn't hearing him.

I don't know. If I've got this one wrong and she's genuinely doing important work (she paints herself as this transcendent agent of cultural change), someone tell me. She just came off as self-important and rude.

I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but Rose McGowan has a very interesting background (raised in a cult that her parents were a part of!) that often times helps to put some perspective (just a tad) on the bizarre things she does and says.  

Edited by luckyroll3
On 7/20/2017 at 8:55 PM, kieyra said:

With that in mind:

I couldn't make it through the whole thing either.  I understand her point, but she only talked about it in very general terms.  She didn't give any specific examples of the sexism she faced in Hollywood or the cult.  Rupaul should have redirected the interview because it was boring to hear the same phrases over and over with out more details.   I would have been interested to hear how she made her own short film, getting funding and working outside the system.  

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Ruby Gillis said:

I couldn't make it through the whole thing either.  I understand her point, but she only talked about it in very general terms.  She didn't give any specific examples of the sexism she faced in Hollywood or the cult.  Rupaul should have redirected the interview because it was boring to hear the same phrases over and over with out more details.   I would have been interested to hear how she made her own short film, getting funding and working outside the system.  

I wonder if he would have been able to get that kind of info out of her, or just more repetition about how she's a rule-breaker and everyone else sucks.

By contrast, this week's guest sounds like the sweetest, hippest grandma in the world who is also on MDMA.

So, they lost the nomination for makeup because they submitted the first episode of the season with Lady Gaga, and Mathu was the one who did the makeup for that.  They put Raven and Delta's names on it.  They tried to claim it was representative of the whole season but that didn't fly.

What's weird is that Ru wasn't even in drag in that episode. The whole thing is bizarre, and it's largely due to Willam standing up for Mathu that it came to pass.

Also, Katya and Trixie's Viceland show has been pushed back two weeks.

On 9/7/2017 at 7:09 PM, Ananayel said:

What's weird is that Ru wasn't even in drag in that episode. The whole thing is bizarre, and it's largely due to Willam standing up for Mathu that it came to pass.

The nomination is for all of the makeup on the show including Ru not in drag, Michelle, Ross, Carson, and any guests (though Gaga must have had her people do her makeup). Though named as the makeup department head, my understanding is that Mathu was only really responsible for Ru's drag look. Ru wasn't in drag in that episode. I can see why World of Wonder would make the argument that the nominations should still stand as is.

On 9/7/2017 at 0:10 PM, Eater of Worlds said:

So, they lost the nomination for makeup because they submitted the first episode of the season with Lady Gaga, and Mathu was the one who did the makeup for that.  They put Raven and Delta's names on it.  They tried to claim it was representative of the whole season but that didn't fly.

World of Wonder was given a chance to amend its list of nominees to include Mathu and remove Raven. They removed Raven. World of Wonder declined to add Mathu to the list. The show still has its nominations. 

I don't know what went down with Mathu, but it must have been serious and bad that VH1 and World of Wonder would respond like that. 

On 9/8/2017 at 9:53 PM, HunterHunted said:

The nomination is for all of the makeup on the show including Ru not in drag, Michelle, Ross, Carson, and any guests (though Gaga must have had her people do her makeup). Though named as the makeup department head, my understanding is that Mathu was only really responsible for Ru's drag look. Ru wasn't in drag in that episode. I can see why World of Wonder would make the argument that the nominations should still stand as is.

World of Wonder was given a chance to amend its list of nominees to include Mathu and remove Raven. They removed Raven. World of Wonder declined to add Mathu to the list. The show still has its nominations. 

I don't know what went down with Mathu, but it must have been serious and bad that VH1 and World of Wonder would respond like that. 

Willam said it's SOP for department heads to get the nomination and since Mathu was the department head, it's bullshit he wasn't included. 

Im not sure I understand why WoW would remove anyone at all if they weren't going to add Mathu. Why not leave it as is?

47 minutes ago, Watermelon said:

Willam said it's SOP for department heads to get the nomination and since Mathu was the department head, it's bullshit he wasn't included. 

Im not sure I understand why WoW would remove anyone at all if they weren't going to add Mathu. Why not leave it as is?

It is standard to include department heads in the nomination. However, Mathu appears to have been a nominal department head who had no oversight over the rest of the makeup on the show (the same would be true of Raven for the rest of the season). The contrast would be someone like Michael Westmore, Greg Nicotero, Zena Shteysel or Louie Zakarian.

You can only submit the names of staff who worked on the episode that was submitted for Emmy consideration. Raven was not on the makeup staff for "Oh My Gaga," the episode submitted for consideration. WoW had to remove Raven's name.

3 hours ago, Watermelon said:

I guess. Seems messy. 

I suspect that Mathu and Raven were given the title of department head as a way to get more money and more recognition, but the reality is that neither was doing what a regular makeup department head does. Neither worked on any of the other judges, the guests, or the pit crew. A real makeup department head might also oversee any makeup that the contestants wear when they do the talking heads.

Full list of Emmy wins (including the episodes):

Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Program - RuPaul Charles
Outstanding Costumes for a Variety, Nonfiction, or Reality Programming - Episode: "Oh. My. Gaga!"
Outstanding Picture Editing for a Structured or Competition Reality Program - Jamie Martin, John Lim and Michael Roha (Episode: "Oh. My. Gaga!")