Type keyword(s) to search

RPDR: In The Media

• Start Topic

Yes, the lying about the critiques ruined her rep and no one will believe anything she says anymore. My suggestion is to own being a villain (BC really, her seeking out certain queens to say things that increase any insecurity about the challenge that they felt, is villain-y). On sm, point out things that you did that were sweet that were cut out. But don't do what you're doing, which is getting uber defensive, in attack mode, and digging your heels in, BC that just makes things worse

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm not blaming WoW for any of this - they're just doing their job, and I think Phi Phi is only hurting herself by lashing out at them.

But the fan reaction borders on insanity, and I'm going to feel bad for anyone who has to go through that, whether they should've expected it or not. Regardless of what edit Phi Phi or any other queen was given, I would hope fans would be able to acknowledge that's it's just a TV show and that, in the words of Tati, what you see isn't always the truth. Every queen deserves the benefit of the doubt, and no queen deserves the treatment Phi Phi is getting.

Regarding the reunion, I do disagree there. Production didn't really have it out for Detox, so she could show up looking stunning, politely answer some questions, and leave. Whether or not WoW hated Phi Phi before, they certainly do now, and I'm confident they'd try to push her buttons - and she seems insecure enough that it would work.

Edited by Xazeal
  • Love 3

Phi2 is a human being first and drag queen 2nd.  I really have sympathy for her.  When u back someone in a corner with these cruel social media attacks you are going to lash out.  I hope she changes her mind and goes to the reunion special.  I think she is super talented and I want to hear what she says.  Yeah sometimes she does/says the wrong thing but she's a human and hurt!  Back off skanks

• Love 4

P2's wildly immature, trigger-happy self-righteousness in response to the supposed editing does not exonerate her from being a toxic bitch, IMO.  Nor do any of the allegations change the fact that she obviously has an anger problem and in times of conflict gets personal and is impossible to communicate with.  I recall back during S4, all she did was intentionally goad and provoke people on social media, get into flame wars, talk about how "all the haters make me $$$" and say she loved how she was the biggest villain in reality tv history, she never apologized to Sharon or Willam or owned up to her problems at all.  Now she's doing something pretty similar, violating her non-disclosure agreement, lying about outlandish editing, and even alienating Ru.  Either it's all a ploy for even more publicity, or she's just really stupid.  No producers are 'editing' your social media accounts, unfortunately. 

• Love 11
On 9/17/2016 at 1:45 PM, Glade said:

P2's wildly immature, trigger-happy self-righteousness in response to the supposed editing does not exonerate her from being a toxic bitch, IMO.  Nor do any of the allegations change the fact that she obviously has an anger problem and in times of conflict gets personal and is impossible to communicate with.  I recall back during S4, all she did was intentionally goad and provoke people on social media, get into flame wars, talk about how "all the haters make me $$$" and say she loved how she was the biggest villain in reality tv history, she never apologized to Sharon or Willam or owned up to her problems at all.  Now she's doing something pretty similar, violating her non-disclosure agreement, lying about outlandish editing, and even alienating Ru.  Either it's all a ploy for even more publicity, or she's just really stupid.  No producers are 'editing' your social media accounts, unfortunately. 

Whenever I see Phi Phi being manipulative, shady, or nasty, I get perplexed that she some how thinks that this is the nicer calmer version of herself. I think she's that self absorbed and stupid.

• Love 5
On 9/17/2016 at 11:45 AM, Glade said:

To answer your question, I think it is both. I think it started out with her deciding that she's getting a bad edit, so she goes out on social media with "evidence" of shady editing, but doesn't have the emotional maturity to back down when she got proved wrong. Refusing to come to the reunion brings more attention to her, because the fact that she won't be there will be obvious and they either have to explain that P2 got mad and decided to be a no-show (you'd think that they are contractually obligated to show up) or they can do what I hope they do, which is totally ignore it. While her fans may be flocking around her, P2 isn't smart enough to see that this isn't winning her any new fans, and more importantly, probably doesn't make people want to hire her, because who wants to hire/cast someone who might just turn around and bite your hand (publicly on social media)? I know I wouldn't be jazzed to work with someone like that. That "problematic" tag follows you in show biz - ask Katherine Heigl how she went from Emmy winner to doing kitty litter commercials.

While I absolutely do not condone the abuse she gets on social media, I don't have any sympathy for P2 in this situation because she's just being extremely unprofessional. As Bianca has said several times -  show up, be professional, take your money, and don't bite the hand that feeds you. If she really feels that the show has done her wrong, she should just grit her teeth and get through her contractual obligations here and then never work with WoW again. Don't get branded as difficult or unprofessional. 

She's on a reality show, and this isn't her first rodeo. She knows editing is part of it. Also, I tend to not believe the "blame the editing" people. They usually prove themselves to be very similar to the people presented on screen when on their own, no "editing" needed. I think she just gets insecure and starts casting about to find ways to save her own skin. In season four, Sharon was a threat, so she was constantly hammering Sharon. When she admitted that, I thought she had grown. But after Alyssa didn't follow their usual formula for eliminations, I think her hissyfit was more about her fear of getting eliminated if more queens decided to "follow their heart" and not just the judges comments, because she knows she isn't well-liked and she'd probably be toast.

I have similar thoughts about Coco. Whenever something doesn't go her way, she pouts and go into victim mode. Like in season five when they had the kid show challenge and she didn't like the part she was given, and pouted about it and totally checked out. Then whined during the singing challenge over getting paired with Alyssa and going first in the song (compare to Alyssa who may grumble a little, but then just gets on with it). She seems to take everything personally, and nothing is ever her fault. I'm not at all surprised she's mad at Roxxy eliminating her (and Roxxy was totally right to eliminate her - she was by far the weakest in the challenge).

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, Cosmic Muffin said:

Willam has an intstagram of the Pretty Little Liars, with his head, Phi2 and Courtney's, and I know why they're all out of favor with WOW/RuPaul, but why is Carmen Carerra there?

Carmen criticized Ru over the use of the words "t*****" and "shemail" on the show; I'm assuming she's there because of that.  @kieyra, I believe that's also why Courtney fell out of favor with Ru; there was a video of Courtney saying at a show that Ru blocked her on Twitter after Courtney criticized her over using the terms. 

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 1

In one of the Triple A girls videos, Willam gave Courtney a custom made necklace that says BLOCKED on it. I guess I missed that Carmen was swept up in that whole thing. I get that RuPaul has been around a long time and the word used to be used without offence, but times change and we know better now. I like how Willam says "traaahhns" whenever the topic comes up.

• Love 1

I think less of Ru for how he's apparently handling queens critiquing him, but I do feel for him on the t-word issue. He made a point in an interview that I found compelling... it's also short for transvestite and was a slur slung at him and other queens of his generation. I don't think it's so clear cut.

I do think it's clear cut that Carmen did not say anything objectionable in her protest, though. I don't know what Courtney said (and there were other issues with Willam), but Carmen's comments were heartfelt and personal. 

• Love 1

Carmen actual underwent a complete MTF transition, top and bottom surgery, so I'm sure that's why the term t***** was hurtful to her. It also cost her her partner to be true to herself.  Also, I'm sure she felt Ru of all people, as one of the most public LGBT icons, should have known better. 

Ru has stopped saying She-mail now as well. I don't think I've heard her call the DR contestants "ladyboys" either. Since gender identity and sexual orientation are becoming more fluid and may be on a spectrum, it's hard for me as a str8 person to keep up with what all these terms really mean vs how I might think I understand them. I live in a city with a large LGBT community, and our public radio stations have regular guests to keep us all educated wrt sensitivity. People have the right to get no backlash or fear of reprisal for who they are.

Terms that were once acceptable even within a community may not be acceptable anymore. Ru has adjusted accordingly.

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
Afterthoughts
  • Love 3
On 9/20/2016 at 2:50 PM, Zuleikha said:

I think less of Ru for how he's apparently handling queens critiquing him, but I do feel for him on the t-word issue. He made a point in an interview that I found compelling... it's also short for transvestite and was a slur slung at him and other queens of his generation. I don't think it's so clear cut.

The only "Trans" I am is transitional, as in, I'm from the middle generation between what was started at Stonewall and what we've become. It makes my heart hurt that transvestites (to whom we as people, not just LGBTLMNOP, owe so much) have been made to abandon their ownership of words that were once slurs that they now wear with Pride by the loud but ignorant (not in a bad way, just in that they don't know the brutality of what those who came before had to endure) voices of this newest generation. Alas, however, they are the future, and if this is the price we must pay, then, I guess, it's worth it; but, I'm still sad.

• Love 1

LGBTLMNOP! That's excellent. I never really know how many letters are officially after the T now. I thought Q and I were added on, but I'm not sure. Not being snarky in any way, just want to make sure I show the proper respect.

i cannot even begin to imagine how hard the struggle must have been after Stonewall.  Women are still fighting for equal pay, but LGBT people are still fighting for far more.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ananayel said:

Oh dear. Phi Phi, please stop. I read it twice, but maybe I missed the part where she owns lying about what critiques Alyssa got, leading to WoW putting the whole version out there.

That is very embarrassing and does not make her come off better. She succeeds at making the show sound bad, but with no benefit to herself. 

Like, the producers didn't force her to make that rant against Alyssa. They didn't force her to refuse to hug Alyssa (and her answer about feeling bad for not hugging her but she thought she was going to cry and also Alyssa is a big fake ho). She claims she saw from the jump what was happening, yet she appears to have made no effort to stop it. If Ru doesn't care about any of the girls, then Roxxxy could have just as easily been made the villain. No skin off Ru's back. Except, maybe Roxxxy didn't give them the material.

If she really did see what was happening so quickly, she could have quit or adjusted her behavior. She did neither.

I also call bullshit on her claim that she spontaneously went around the room and squashed everyone's beef. Of all the things that didn't happen, that one really didn't.

Edited by Egg
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Egg said:

That is very embarrassing and does not make her come off better. She succeeds at making the show sound bad, but with no benefit to herself. 

Like, the producers didn't force her to make that rant against Alyssa. They didn't force her to refuse to hug Alyssa (and her answer about feeling bad for not hugging her but she thought she was going to cry and also Alyssa is a big fake ho). She claims she saw from the jump what was happening, yet she appears to have made no effort to stop it. If Ru doesn't care about any of the girls, then Roxxxy could have just as easily been made the villain. No skin off Ru's back. Except, maybe Roxxxy didn't give them the material.

If she really did see what was happening so quickly, she could have quit or adjusted her behavior. She did neither.

I also call bullshit on her claim that she spontaneously went around the room and squashed everyone's beef. Of all the things that didn't happen, that one really didn't.

Shady shade! A clip that would normally start the next episode is already up on Logo.tv. It shows the immediate post-Phi Phi chop mirror reaction. Seems like Ru/the producers HAVE HAD IT with her and her negative campaign against them. 

Personally, I think the truth lies somewhere in between Phi Phi's version and what we see on tv, but she's looking increasingly bad as she makes her media tour of sadness and recriminations. 

9 hours ago, hatchetgirl said:

OK, I'm never going on reality TV because I will get the bitch edit and that's that. I know better and I've never been on TV. For Phi2 to be throwing this around is beyond lame and really laughable.

The part she wont admit is, she's just a bitch.  Maybe she's not a bitch ALL the time, and I'm sure she has friends and family that love her, but she's a bitch.

Editors didn't pick 2 known bitchy queens (her and Roxxxy) and then play rock paper scissors on who gets the bitch edit.  Roxxxy is bitchy. Not a bitch.  Her issues with Jinkxx were really a one off ,as evidenced by the fact that there aint been a WHIFF of it this season.  Phi Phi has stank in her face and in her voice and doesn't know when to chill. She's a bitch. AND ITS OK. But the denial of it all is so uninteresting. 

• Love 3

I'm so sorry that P2 is just wrecking everything after winning a slot on AS2 that I think I dreamed I was trying to talk some perspective into her. I think we were old friends, and I was just trying to talk her down from destroying her career. I might need to see if I have some inner P2 issues of my own to examine. There is a very unfair situation at work, but I know I can't fix it and I could only hurt myself trying. I think this is why I'm dreaming about P2. And not even on a Thursday.

• Love 2

I don't know if there's a better place to put this , but Hurricane Bianca came out a few weeks ago apparently. I bought it on amazon (after hurricane matthew was done having his way with my power) and I didn't have any expectations going into it, but it was funny and cute, and more heartwarming than I expected. There are a lot of cameos from other RPDR queens and such. Willam is in it and I think he steals every scene he's in.

• Love 1

Willam's book has hit.. Get SUCK LESS today! Amazon: https://goo.gl/3hqstw • Barnes & Noble: https://goo.gl/SgPEvx • iBooks: https://goo.gl/tyzUMV • Kobo: https://goo.gl/VXXbeI • Google Play: https://goo.gl/Xn6hUc • IndieBound: https://goo.gl/Qkw4hZ

also a song / commercial for the book 

Thanks, Kieyra, for that link! They all look so polished; I wonder if they're all that polished starting the show, or if they had a lot of help? With very little to go on, I'm going to say that none of them seems obviously struggling with mental issues, we shall see.

Warning on that S9 link ... if you're trying to avoid soul-crushing political headlines for now, I just got the rest of my day ruined by links near the video. :( 

(Not advocating burying head in the sand, but I know for some people sanity comes first right now.)

• Love 1
(edited)

I wonder if they delay in annoucing the air date was due to trying to figure out if Logo was going to air it too? Either way, I think I can get a cheaper cable package, since now I don't need Logo.

Poor Lucian, I hope he gets the help he needs.

Edited by Cosmic Muffin

Michelle Visage tweeted that Logo would air it as well, but after the VH1 airing. Rumors abound that Logo will be slowly phased out due to reorganization etc., but it's a good thing for the show now, since I know several people who don't get Logo, but get VH1.

• Love 1
On 3/2/2017 at 2:52 PM, veronicamers said:

Is anyone listening to the podcast Missing Richard Simmons? I highly recommend. Willam makes an appearance in episode 2.

I've been listening and was all, "Whut?  Willam and Richard Simmons were friends???"  And then: "Of course, Willam and Richard Simmons were friends."  It just made complete sense to me.

I also love how Willam said, "Whatever, girl.  If you don't want to answer anyone's phone calls or hang out anymore, that's your right.  You can lead whatever life you want."

Although, if you ask me, Richard's housekeeper is holding him hostage.

• Love 4

Two What's The Tee podcast notes:

1) I'm used to Michelle's pseudo-science at this point, but my head almost exploded when she unloaded her epsom salt bath knowledge. Something about heavy metals being pulled directly from your skin. (No offense to anyone who believes this*. She just tends to get a little piece of real science, like "quantum physics" or "reverse osmosis" and clings on to it pseudo-explain the hippie stuff.) 

2) If you're listening to the Gaga episode, it's filler until the last 20 minutes (she doesn't show up till then). 

*If you have actual studies I will gladly click your links. HuffPo does not count.

ETA: I got rabbit-holed, and this article was delightful. https://www.painscience.com/articles/epsom-salts.php

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 1

I watched Drag Becomes Him, the 2 hour movie last night about Jinckx Monsoon. I thought they were going to make a longer, multi episode documentary from this? My tv listing isn't showing this. I like the movie, I like Jinckx more after watching it; I had mildly positive feelings towards her before. Also, turns out she's a fellow Virgo. Also raised by an alcoholic single mother, also raising a younger sibling due to that. Hmm, I turned out a librarian cat lady though. I decided I really like Jinckx's speaking voice, after going back and forth during the film. There are a few nice glimpses of Dela in the film, too. Jinckx seems to be ok with his mom, and the whole family is pretty close. His dad was 17 when he was born and living in a half way house, his mom was 23. His dad is very supportive of his son, and being gay and doing drag. His dad used the phrase,"water off a duck's back" unironically in the film too. Ok, back to the library, off the public computer.

• Love 6