Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: The Last Seduction

WendyCR72

This episode made me angry. The one night stand, the casual acceptance of this time out. KB cold hearted attitude and Castles "Gee--Wow--Look how big a crumb I got"

Vikram--is no good and I am willing to bet he is one of or the big bad.

I knew I should not have watched and wish I had not.  Castle is dead--nothing these writers can come up with to resolve this is going to matter to me at this point. Clearly I am speaking for myself.

Appears they have lost a bit of their confidence since there will be no long winter hiatus after all.

• Love 3

If people were out to kill Vikram, why is he openly working at a cop shop and not on the run?

Also, if how Beckettt is treating Castle was instead a man treating a woman that way, there would be a major hue and cry.  Its NOT romantic.

• Love 1

If that situation were reversed. If the man used his WIFE for a booty call, and ran out of there with a "See you around," there would be references to money being left on the nightstand. 

Someone did say this today, that they half expected Kate to be the one to leave some cash on the table as she left, it felt like that kind of arrangement.  I do hope they don't repeat this situation, they got away with it (just) because it was their anniversary but if they have more time outs like this no thanks not interested. It's not remotely romantic to sleep with your husband but withhold major things from them which affect you both, he's obviously confused about her motives and her keeping him in the dark for weeks on end is not fair and sex only ends up confusing the issue. I don't care if he's agreeable or not to getting laid, she should have the decency to say "hey look I know we need to talk about this". I wish they'd played the end scene out differently, they could have slept together but then create a cliffhanger that afterwards the phone rings and she realises she can't keep doing this any more and they pick it up in 8.08. 

Edited by verdana

Castle: The Last Seduction – A Good Cop/Bad Cop Review by Lee Lofland.

Kate went home, all right. . . just not for good. I did enjoy the kisses she and Rick shared—they brought back a tiny bit of the old Castle magic—but her leaving almost immediately after they made love infuriated me. How could she do that? Her misplaced loyalty to her mission makes me cringe, and if she doesn’t go home to Rick soon and allow things to get back to normal, I don’t know how much more of this I can take.

Melanie was upset Kate left and I quite agree, her loyalty to this case over her husband is infuriating. Meanwhile Lee takes issue with the crappy lighting, oh Lee you are not alone! 

My first comment has nothing to do with police procedure or forensics. Instead, it’s about the lighting in the opening scene. We can clearly see that all fixtures are switched on and their bulbs are burning brightly. However, we, the viewers, can barely see what’s going on because it’s too freakin’ dark! When did Castle become CSI, another show that was filmed in near darkness. The darkness is irritating, directors. For the sake of old and tired eyes, please STOP.

Why is Hayley in this show? What is her purpose? Why would Beckett ask her, a private citizen to tag along to the spa? Why not ask one of the many ACTUAL female cops who work for the NYPD?

That's easy to explain she's there because she provides a "voice" on the show we don't have...apparently.

At least the writers explained to the viewers that it is illegal to obtain evidence without going through the proper channels—search warrant, etc. Castle was acting as an agent of the NYPD when he entered the lawyer/killer’s office to steal the information from the client log. Same thing for Alexis. It was an illegal search and the fruits of it could not be used as evidence. But they explained this, so bravo for them.

And occasionally Castle gets it right on police procedure which is nice to know, I don't expect a docu drama but it's nice when they look as if they're paying some attention.

Edited by verdana

I really enjoyed Castle, Beckett, Ryan and Esposito working together for the bulk of the episode. That will always be vital to me. Castle and Beckett should be a team that works with Ryan and Esposito on the cases. That's the show! It shouldn't be that hard to make the formula work. It did for along time. It's sad that they seem desperate to do anything but what once made the show a pleasant diversion.

That sums it up for me. So this episode was the most enjoyable for the season so far. For me. Castle and Beckett had sex. I don't see it as a significant plot point, except that it gave Castle access to Beckett's phone, so now he knows she's working a secret case and the penny has dropped that it may be why she needs time and space. I didn't see it as Castle being used, because buddy wanted to get laid and he did. And I can only imagine the hue and cry if he arranged the anniversary surprise and then she rejected him. Instead she agrees to take a night out of the separation to celebrate and she's still the villain, so...

Whoever pointed out that the writers specifically had the spa ladies call out Beckett on being married to Castle was spot on. If you're trying to build a narrative that the separation is intended to keep Castle out of the investigation and keep him safe if Beckett gets caught investigating, the writers suck at it. They could have used the spa moment to show that the world knows about the separation and have the ladies start to give Beckett divorce advice BECAUSE she was married to a rich guy who might have a pre-nup, before being interrupted. Instead, they did the exact opposite! Kinda makes Vikram's advice fall flat. If it's one time Castle won't be prying into the case, it's when Beckett is banging his brains out. So presumably avoiding dinner was about avoiding being seen in public...? Dumb.

I'm glad Ryan and Espo made up, because the gag ran too long. And reminding us that a father of 2 who is struggling financially jumped in front of a bullet to save a man with a gun in his hand... he could have been caught in the crossfire and been killed by Esposito! So, very happy that all worked out and the tedious fighting is over. I could also have done without the relationship anvils as they paralleled Castle and Beckett. 

But ultimately, I liked this episode because it gave me hope that 1. Castle will finally suss out the Loksat investigation and maybe we can have one episode where it all gets resolved 2. Having realized the wealth of chemistry they have with this cast, the writers will stop using silly plot devices to f**k with said chemistry - we need all 4 major characters to interact and the two leads to interact more. At this point I'll take one out of two, but at least I'm not dreading the latest iteration of f**kery that they will deliver next week. It might actually be... mediocre.

• Love 1

I was just in complete shock that Castle would want to go to all this trouble for his anniversary WHEN HIS WIFE LEFT HIM WITH NO EXPLAINATION! And no one else seems to think that it's weird. What is wrong with these people? Sorry, last scene left me cold. Too little too late, This show is just ruined for me. Not even fun anymore.

• Love 4

I liked the episode. Although it again demonstrated how weak and nonsensical their seasons arc is constructed, it didn't bother me like before. All characters were surprisingly likeable which I think is a miracle to achieve considering the plotline. And there's finally some progress with Castle finding out what's going on.

I guess they miscalculated how irritating 3-4 episodes of stagnation/filler episodes can be for the viewer. People who binge-watch might not feel so strongly about it.

On the more shallow side, I want to see Castle less dressed more often :)

I was just in complete shock that Castle would want to go to all this trouble for his anniversary WHEN HIS WIFE LEFT HIM WITH NO EXPLAINATION! And no one else seems to think that it's weird. What is wrong with these people? Sorry, last scene left me cold. Too little too late, This show is just ruined for me. Not even fun anymore.

I agree it makes no sense at all but this is the new "normal" for Castle and Beckett and it seems best to have the bits you don't like hermetically sealed in a box and then try and enjoy what's left over.  Some manage it some don't.

I agree it makes no sense at all but this is the new "normal" for Castle and Beckett and it seems best to have the bits you don't like hermetically sealed in a box and then try and enjoy what's left over.

Yep. Normal people would think "you left me eff you". Regular Castle would think "I don't know why you left me but not gonna rest until I find out so eff your not wanting me to hang around". This Castle is "You left me, so I'm gonna act like you didn't". Whatevs. Ignoring normal and regular Castle in favor of S8 Castle is a special skill!

I seem to recall a series of fanfic stories in which Castle & Beckett would text each other "time out" so they could meet up and it wouldn't impact their normal, everyday interactions, etc. (I very well could be misremembering that, though).

You remember correctly. Polly Lynn was the author, and I think it was her TARDIS-verse series. I think she kept that name on AO3, but on FF.net she changed it to something starting with an "H"

• Love 1

Before I get to anything else, did Beckett/Stana say "crisis of confidence" instead of "crisis of conscience" when she was talking about the victim to that person of interest?  I would have thought that was a mistake and I was surprised no one caught it.

Guess I'm still pretty much alone in not adopting an overwhelmingly negative tone about the show... it's not that I think everything's perfect, far from it.  It's more like I've accepted some parameters to the show and the current storyline as designed by the writers so I don't get worked up about it as much.  The still potent Caskett chemistry and the better writing outside of the breakup storyline are contributing to my overall enjoyment of the show.

Yes, they basically gave us a carrot and no real movement on the storyline.  It's not what I prefer and it's not organic, but that's what they've always done.  Cops & Robbers, Cuffed, anyone?  There was no organic reason why Caskett could not talk to in each other in S4 until the season finale.  No organic reason in my opinion for the misunderstanding leading to the douchebag arc either.  But so it was.  So I've accepted that they won't be moving the Locksat story substantially forward and giving us anything like a real, honest (overdue, I know) confrontation between Caskett until the designated time.  

Yes, I wish Castle was pressing Beckett for answers and I wish Beckett was realising the real mistake she's making is what she's doing emotionally to her dear husband, not to mention the complete lack of logic behind her decision.  I have no idea if either of those things will happen in the next episode, or if ever, but I don't expect them to happen until the writers really want to move the story forward.

Continued issues with the handling (and conception, but I've moved on from that) of the separation aside, I did still enjoy every bit of Caskett we got.  The chemistry between Nathan and Stana was still very much evident, and I saw no evidence of anything but 2 professional actors doing their job well on camera.  So I hope people will think on that before fermenting any more unsubstantiated bts rumours.  I am not one to count screen time or body parts but I was satisfied with the performances they delivered in acting out the script they were given.

It was nice to see Castle take charge of the kissing for once, and I thought it came off passionate and natural.  Better than some of their attempts in the past.  And the post coital scene came off as natural and intimate as well, which is what you want for such a scene.  The set up actually reminded me of Castle and Meredith's post coital scene all the way back in S1, but anyhow, Beckett being on the bed and Castle sitting by it worked for me.  They both looked great and left us in no doubt of their passionate time in.  I don't want to cheapen what they did as a booty call, though I can see why some would characterise it as such.  To me, they were both really hungry for some emotional as well as physical intimacy with each other.  So they reached for it, and reached for that moment of connection, even if nothing's been addressed.  

Castle's little surprise in Beckett's office worked better than I'd expected as a dinner invite, though I could have done without Vikram barging in and bringing on the confetti.  A comedic note that fell flat for me.  Always end on the romance, writers. ;)   But I have to say that every time Beckett launched into her "buts..." with the dinner invite, I felt terribly sad and bad for Castle who comes in with so much hope every time and Beckett basically holds his hope and his heart in her hands and she still can't help crushing it a bit in the process even if she doesn't mean to.  

I suppose the writers are trying to make us empathise with Beckett when she said she didn't want to be unfair.... but, all I could think was that she really was being unfair, not just about the dinner invite, but every moment of every day that she carries on with this farce of a separation without giving her husband a real explanation!  She was still setting the terms of the 'time in' at the end, which, yes, Castle willingly accepted, but it's still really unfair that everything is still on her terms in this marriage, or separation, whatever you want to call it.  She may know that it's unfair on Castle, but she's still doing it!  That makes it hard to empathise with her.  The "I'll see you around" was also a bit too cavalier in the end.  The writers should have written her as being more conflicted having to leave her home again.  I am still concerned that the writers will not characterise Beckett's decisions as ill-judged and justify it all with 'save the world' or save Castle bullet blocking heroics.  But secrets and lies and high handed decisions in a marriage can't just be swept away like that if their relationship really is to come out stronger.

I didn't find Castle hard to read at the end, or earlier.  He's still doing what he does best and knows best.  Showing up, not giving up.  Continued efforts to insert himself into Beckett's life and make himself indispensable to her in the hope of ending the separation.  I respect that effort.  At the end, he knows Beckett's lying to him and not telling him everything.  He's not happy about it, but he probably thought confronting Beckett about it in the moment would not be the best move.  I actually like the subtle play of conflicted emotions on his face.  It wouldn't have been more satisfactory to me if he'd thrown a tantrum then and there and broke things.

While on the one hand, Castle's strategy seems to be to be patient with Beckett and bid his time (or at least forced by the writers to do so ;)) because he knows his wife is an incredibly stubborn woman who might not respond well to an ultimatum.  But, on the other hand, I thought Beckett was unsettled for once from watching Castle with that divorce lawyer by insecurities as to whether Castle would hang in there in their marriage.  And I thought being unsettled was a good thing for her character because as much as Castle loves her, what she's putting him through right now can cost anyone their marriage.  Maybe it would be good for both for Castle to give her an ultimatum of sorts.  But they would never do that on the show because they need to stretch out the story. ;)  It's basically moot for the moment anyway because Castle settled all her insecurities with his uplifting response.  Good for her, but bad for Castle's well being. ;)  I really hope she thinks hard about what her selfish decisions are putting Castle through even if she still thinks it's justified.

All that said, I still like the characters and still believe they love each other deeply, even when they don't make the best decisions, and that allows me to enjoy the show still.

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 4

The point is not to look at that one, brief moment in a vacuum.

Beckett caused this ridiculous timeout for ridiculous reasons and then says ridiculous things like "a timeout of the timeout" as if she didn't leave her husband with no explanation and indeed would not have even mentioned their anniversary, even privately with nobody watching, unless Castle brought it up. If she's brave enough to call a timeout on the timeout to have dinner and sleep with him, then couldn't she have gotten him a little something special in private? Just to let him know she was thinking of him and that "I love you" actually meant something?

Her excuse not to lead him on is absurd. She's been leading him on since she called the timeout. They have barely spent five minutes apart, she makes eyes at him, touches him intimately in public, and in general is making no effort at all to distance herself from him.

But the timeout from the timeout has to be looked at as a single decision. She has already left him - she and the writers think for good reason the rest of us disagree. So now he wants to celebrate their anniversary. My point was that if she said no, she'd be a villain for saying no. She said yes, so she's a villain for being separated in the first place. Illustrating my point that she was in a lose-lose situation in the first place.

And again, she thought she would be "leading him on" if he believed that dinner meant that she was ready to resume their relationship. That was pretty clear to me. But Castle convinced her that he understood their anniversary celebration would be a solitary event. He did not think it meant the resumption of their relationship and he was not being led on in that regard. Eyes wide open and a great shag. I therefore can't understand how he was being led on. He's a grown man who wanted time and intimacy, however briefly, with his estranged wife. 

Leading someone on generally connotes letting them believe something that isn't true (like you intend to have sex with them at a later date) so that you can benefit from their ignorance/delusion. I don't see that here.

• Love 1

If Beckett wants to sex up the hubby, then don't call stupid "timeouts" and then send mixed signals. Anniversary or not, Castle was an idiot, IMO, for giving in without some explanation.

He should have just given Beckett a vibrator and told her that was the best she'd get unless she told him WTF she was doing.

But I'm mean, so...

• Love 6

I also noticed the weird "crisis of confidence" thing and wondered if it was a pun or some phrase I hadn't heard before.

Also, regarding Lofland's comment that she left almost immediately after sex, you can tell that it's light outside as if she's stayed all night.

Edited by FlickerToAFlame

Also, regarding Lofland's comment that she left almost immediately after sex, you can tell that it's light outside as if she's stayed all night.

Maybe they were just having sex for a really long time?

I thought it's interesting that Beckett left Castle because she didn't want him to find out about the case, and the second she agrees to spend time with him he looks at her phone and finds out she's investigating something. I'm not saying she was right to leave, but she does know her husband well enough to know she couldn't keep something from him.  If only she had enough sense to just tell him the truth to begin with.

Castle's little surprise in Beckett's office worked better than I'd expected as a dinner invite, though I could have done without Vikram barging in and bringing on the confetti.

Vikram must have been outside her office listening to them, because he had heard about their dinner plans. Which means he purposely interrupted, which is way worse than all those people who inadvertently interrupted them over the years. 

But the constant and repeated "time out from the timeout" was so aggravating. It's like they want to cast this huge spotlight on what everyone is so pissed off about.

For me, she's been taking a timeout from the timeout since she declared it.

I think we're supposed to see it is romantic or something, like she's still in love with him and can't help herself.  It's not like she's intentionally leading him on, because she really does love him and does hope she'll be able to get back to him soon. She's just stuck on her stupid "obsession" too much to actually do it. I don't really get what's going on with her head there.

I think whoever said they are using "time out" because they don't want to sounds like Friends's "we were on a break," but damn it sounds stupid. No one talks like that.

Just my thoughts.

How could a show with the plot of a NYPD captain & insurance investigator going undercover together to look at several women's bare asses not be great?

I'm starting to despise Vikrum as a character.

Martha as Beckett's cheerleader is wearing thin.

Sadly Lanie's grown ass man advice has been the best anyone has given so far.

Ryan & Esposito are amazing characters. When it is just them they become Abbott & Costello. Throw Castle into the mix and they transform into the three stooges.

I guess "estranged with benefits" is the best way to describe Castle & Beckett's relationship.

I'm definitely over the word "timeout", but for better or for worse, it's over for Caskett too, so doubtful we'll hear it again. 

I also noticed the weird "crisis of confidence" thing and wondered if it was a pub or some phrase I hadn't heard before.

Considering all the people on set and in post production, I'm surprised no one caught it at all.

In a fanfic, the vibrator nicknamed Little or Big Rick is inside the box instead.  Beckett pushes a button and something starts to vibrate.  She's mystified and then the reveal, voila!  LOL.  But Castle being Castle, instead of giving her an ultimatum, he'd be all sweet and say that he's gifting her the vibrator because he's man enough to put her needs first (thanks, Slaughter) and he figures she needs it since he's not allowed to fulfill them himself. ;)

Not to bring real world events into the thread, but I can't imagine anyone would open a box and push a button in it in any real life police station.  

What was Vikram doing touching Beckett's stuff anyway?  I continue to be indifferent to Vikram because they haven't given him anything to do and he feels shoehorned in, more so than Hayley to me who has more of a personality at least.  It does bug me that someone reserved like Beckett is confiding in Vikram about anything at all, but handwave.

Lawyers all do their billing through computerised systems nowadays, and not through anything like an actual book, but I guess that wouldn't have worked for the plot, so more handwaving. ;)  Grr... why did they have to make that Lindsay lawyer so dumb?  I wasn't sure whether to laugh or groan when she fell down the stairs in her heels considering the heels Beckett wears as a cop.

Trivia: That actress who played Lindsay was on a cooking programme with Nathan and Tiffany Thiessen (sp?), Dinner with/at Tiffani's.  It's on the tube.  They've known each other since way back when.  She shared a story about how Nathan used to make Xmas presents by hand for her best friend, whom he was dating at the time.  No idea who that would have been.  He said he had to do it because he was broke!

Castle & Castle being OK with Alexis doing something legally questionable? Handwave.  I will say that Alexis looked appropriately dressed for the office.

Castle writers have long liked to write men as men who like to ogle women as a comedic note, but it's long worn thin to me.  And it's not so cool when the men are married or ogling their boss.  But I admit the boys' varied expressions when Hayley was offered the spa visit made me laugh.  Nice bit of acting there.  And also nice bit of physical comedy from all with the bit where Castle was doing the surprise in the office and the boys were trying to stop Beckett from going in.  

I did chuckle at the First Wives Club mention.  Operation Booyah was a fun adlib.  As was "who gets the house?" lol by the guest star.  If only they'd really made Espo/Ryan a gay couple out in the NYPD.

Castle's a braver man than I to hold cups of coffee while on a hovertrax heh.  I liked seeing the boys doing case talk in the PI office and in the loft, getting outside of the precinct.  

I was a bit annoyed to see Beckett/Espo have a drink at a bar when we've never seen Caskett out on a date at a bar!  Still don't know why not.

I want Beckett to be the only person who calls Castle 'Rick'.  Why is Hayley calling him Rick?!

Beckett complimenting Castle was nice to hear.  And the actors had chemistry even in that casual scene.

Castle in glasses looked somehow better this time than when he was a prof.  I liked hearing that detail of the livestream glasses being a gift from Beckett.  Still want to know if Beckett finds him hot in glasses.  And I liked Espo and Ryan gossiping about Caskett.  They should have scenes of them doing that more often.

It made sense for Espo and Ryan to have a real conflict to resolve at last.  I did laugh at them mirroring each other (but for the yo, heh).  It did drag a bit by the end, while also felt resolved a bit too simply as well. But two angsty couples all at once could be overkill. ;)

Not sure that even Stana could make a powder blue suit work.  But it is nice to see them in lighter colours sometimes.

To end on a shallow note, Caskett looked sexy together in the bedroom for the first time in a loooong time.  Nathan looked younger somehow with the unstyled hair and quite alright with his upper torso bare.  Stana looked effortlessly sexy and without the wig thankfully.  But now how long till we get the next bedroom scene?  ;)

Edited by madmaverick

Lol so apparently Castle is totally fine after the booty call since he has his video game to play with. Now it's making me wonder that Nathan tweets from that account since the instagram photo of the book he's holding looks like he's home. That account has been avoiding talking about Beckett since the 2 parter and isn't it Beckett's birthday today.

WriteRCastle: Got my copy of #StarWarsBattlefront! Now I can pilot the Falcon, blow up the Death Star, and fight Darth Vader. #ChildhoodDreams = achieved

NathanFillion: Just received #StarWarsBattlefront from @isDARTHVADER. Dark Side, here I come.
Thank you.

Lawyers all do their billing through computerised systems nowadays, and not through anything like an actual book, but I guess that wouldn't have worked for the plot, so more handwaving. ;)  Grr... why did they have to make that Lindsay lawyer so dumb?  I wasn't sure whether to laugh or groan when she fell down the stairs in her heels considering the heels Beckett wears as a cop.

Speaking of computers, why the hell doesn't Captain Beckett have a computer in her office.  I know they are always talking about paperwork cops have to do, but I assume actual cops do some of that digitally these days? Or maybe not, since then serial killers couldn't break into the cops storage facility and steal all evidence against himself.  But she should still have a computer for email.

But now how long till we get the next bedroom scene?  ;)

Based on past history.....three years?

• Love 1

Maybe it would be good for both for Castle to give her an ultimatum of sorts.

It's been over two months and he's let her do what she wants without any real pressure. Surely it's not too much to ask that he starts demanding some answers and doesn't get put off this time. He is her husband after all who has shown either amazing faith, self control and understanding given her walk out or has had his brain surgically removed by the all powerful all knowing but we're-too-busy-to-be chasing-after-you-right-now Locksat. He's not some guy she's casually dating and he deserves to know what's going on and so do I in order to end my weekly frustration with this separation that's going nowhere. I've seen sloths move faster than this story. 

I am still concerned that the writers will not characterise Beckett's decisions as ill-judged and justify it all with 'save the world' or save Castle bullet blocking heroics.

To be fair Beckett needs to save the world to put her on level pegging with her husband who saved the world last season remember, and they both saved the world in Linchpin too but joint efforts to save the world don't count. She's probably jealous about that which explains her zeal for pursuing this case, then next week Castle is going to be King of the World! They do love playing things up big on this show.  I do hope Beckett's Locksat "mythology" is better planned out by the new writers than Castle's pathetic story. 

Edited by verdana
The set up actually reminded me of Castle and Meredith's post coital scene all the way back in S1, but anyhow,

I saw someone else mentioning the link to Meredith on tumblr, Beckett was pretty much doing what Meredith and Castle would enjoy doing, she turns up, bang him no strings, have a quick convo then leave. 

It's been over two months and he's let her do what she wants without any real pressure. Surely it's not too much to ask that he starts demanding some answers and doesn't get put off this time. He is her husband after all who has shown either amazing faith, self control and understanding given her walk out or has had his brain surgically removed by the all powerful all knowing but we're-too-busy-to-be chasing-after-you-right-now Locksat. He's not some guy she's casually dating and he deserves to know what's going on and so do I in order to end my weekly frustration with this separation that's going nowhere. I've seen sloths move faster than this story.

It's the worst thing about the entire episode. Castle's complete blind faith has essentially given Beckett the green light to continue this thing forever. When is he actually going to get angry?

She's completely taking advantage of him, walking all over him. This whole thing is absurd.

Edited by Chado

Polly Lynn was the author, and I think it was her TARDIS-verse series. I think she kept that name on AO3, but on FF.net she changed it to something starting with an "H"

She's a terrific writer, a little heavy on the angst. Someone at fanfic.net decided she was too graphic, or something, but considering what does show up there, it must have been somehow personal.

It's the worst thing about the entire episode. Castle's complete blind faith has essentially given Beckett the green light to continue this thing forever. When is he actually going to get angry?

She's completely taking advantage of him, walking all over him. This whole thing is absurd.

To be honest, I hope he doesn't ever get angry. Of course, I also think she isn't taking advantage of him, but I also think my view shows how different relationships can be viewed. In my opinion, if you love someone you never meet them with anger, you meet them with understanding and maturity and hope. You stick out the tough times and you don't do that by yelling at your significant other or by acting like a child and taking your ball home when you don't get what you want. In my opinion, the fact that he is meeting this "time-out" (sorry, I know you all hate that term) in the way he has shows a level of maturity in relationships that he hasn't shown before. 

I do agree that this storyline is absurd but I do understand it too. It's not that she wants their relationship hidden it's that Kate knows for certain that if she is with Rick and tells him about Locksat, he will investigate and it could get him and his family hurt or even killed. At this point, the person behind locksat is in the dark, he has given the investigation a patsy in terms of the person he killed in the 2nd episode, and to his knowledge, the case is closed. As has been shown countless times on this show, when Castle has even the whiff of a good case, he will go down that rabbit hole and put himself in danger. With locksat, that attitude and inability of Castle to stay out of the case will get him killed, so Kate is trying to keep him as far from the investigation as she can. And in some sense, last nights episode proved that point. As one poster pointed out earlier, Kate knows her husband well, when he saw that text he now knows she is investigating something, and I can bet that the next step is that he tries to find out what.

• Love 2

To be honest, I hope he doesn't ever get angry. Of course, I also think she isn't taking advantage of him, but I also think my view shows how different relationships can be viewed. In my opinion, if you love someone you never meet them with anger, you meet them with understanding and maturity and hope. You stick out the tough times and you don't do that by yelling at your significant other or by acting like a child and taking your ball home when you don't get what you want. In my opinion, the fact that he is meeting this "time-out" (sorry, I know you all hate that term) in the way he has shows a level of maturity in relationships that he hasn't shown before. 

So Beckett should be able to walk in and out of her marriage whenever it suits her?

So Beckett should be able to make a decision (that affects both of them) without any input from Castle, without a conversation? (And it's ok apparently because "she understands him"?)

What maturity is Beckett showing? How is Beckett being understanding to her husband? - It's funny how people can use Castle as this case study to a 'healthy' relationship and how he approaches his wife/the situation, but they conveniently ignore Beckett and her actions when making the same argument.

The most important thing to a relationship (in my eyes) is communication, and an active willingness to continue to work at the relationship. Beckett is doing neither, instead of trusting her husband to appreciate the situation for what it is, she treats him like a child and removes any ability he has to make a decision. You can't just put your relationship on 'time out' and expect the other person to just resume as normal whenever you feel you can focus your attention on it again.

Yes, Castle may be this pillar of understanding and have complete faith and hope in Beckett, but how about Beckett show that same hope and faith, how about she realize that Castle has been involved in enough life and death situations to do what is needed/required? How about she respect him as a partner, a husband, and actually include him in this. How can a person walk away from a marriage, and have the arrogance to expect that person to be there with their arms open come the end of this?

You can love someone unconditionally, and still realize that person and you can't be in a healthy relationship. You can love somebody, and have the relationship still fail. Loving somebody isn't enough, there needs to be open communicate, both need to be pulling in the same direction.

Castle has a right to answers, Beckett 'knowing her husband' means absolutely nothing to her decision making. All it shows, is a complete lack of trust.

• Love 1

I do agree that this storyline is absurd but I do understand it too. It's not that she wants their relationship hidden it's that Kate knows for certain that if she is with Rick and tells him about Locksat, he will investigate and it could get him and his family hurt or even killed.

To me this does not make it any better. She is still choosing a case over her marriage. A case she does not have to work. A case that could ultimately put Castle & his family in danger. She is not acting like a child & taking her ball home. She is acting like a junkie & leaving her husband behind for her addiction. Not only that but as far as we have seen on screen Beckett never mentioned Rita. She chose to hide Rita’s existence, when she could have just mentioned that she helped her escape, no need to give anything away. Instead Beckett kept information about family from Castle for no obvious reason. She may love Castle but they are portraying her as loving the thrill of the chase more. For me they have really butchered her character all in the name of fun.

• Love 2

This episode probably got the most positive reception of the season so far, I just hope TPTB don't think it was just because they threw in that last scene, which, while welcomed as it probably ranks up there with Always, should gloss over the other improvements that we saw in this episode, the increased screen time shared by Castle and Beckett, the reduced amount of juvenile humour, the fab four more together again, and minimal Alexis. Not brilliant by any means, still don't know why Hayley has to be in the show, but it felt much more like a "Castle" episode that made me want to watch it again, first time this season.

One thing that's bugging me, Beckett has got to be busy running the precinct and when she's not she's supposedly working on her obsession, so how does she find the time to go shopping for all these new outfits we're seeing her in, she must truly be extraordinary. LOL

The most important thing to a relationship (in my eyes) is communication, and an active willingness to continue to work at the relationship. Beckett is doing neither, instead of trusting her husband to appreciate the situation for what it is, she treats him like a child and removes any ability he has to make a decision.

And what makes it worse is Castle did this to her in S4 so she should be fully aware how depriving him of the right to make his own decisions about his life is wrong.

Oberon is right she's coming over like an addict. When it comes out she'll say whatever Castle needs to hear to make her addiction seem like she has things under control with promises there's no guarantee she can keep, because an addict needs proper treatment and she doesn't seem to be actively seeking any. Do the writers want me to think Beckett is some kind of lost cause? I hope they have a plan how to make her pursuit of justice appear to be satisfying character growth when this story arc is done. 

Beckett should be the one trying to fix things not Castle, what they've been showing on screen with their dynamic over the last 5 episodes seems arse backwards to me.

• Beckett has failed in a fundamental requirement when married - to share things with her spouse, she's also being dishonest and a relationship cannot survive if she continues in that manner.
  • She has deprived him of agency, he is not a minor or mentally incapacitated, he has a right to know what she is doing on his behalf and have a say in her decision making no matter how dangerous the situation may be.
  • She's placing him in danger by nor imparting knowledge and possibly risking the lives of his mother and daughter who could either by accident or design get caught up in this. She has no right to be taking these decisions about his family, the fact she's married to him is immaterial, it's not her call.
Edited by verdana
  • Love 1

I completely agree with everything said above, however its all immaterial. Our illustrious showrunners dont see it the way so many of us do, so it will never be written that way. They've got her on this selfless mission, with Castle just reaffirming his undying faith in all her decisions - and IF promos are to be believed, back to his silly, 'I'll do anything' self. I predict whenever they get around to trying to right this mess, no grand apology or awareness from Beckett, no anger, upset from Castle. Too messy, too indepth for these guys to write. Too much for fans to hope for.

I think Castle should be angry, but there are different ways to show anger. I hope that Caskett doesn't fall into an immature name calling pattern like we've been seeing with Ryan/Espo. I really liked the scene in XX where Castle just told her he was upset that she lied. It felt like he was being respectful, but not a doormat about it.

• Love 1
As has been shown countless times on this show, when Castle has even the whiff of a good case, he will go down that rabbit hole and put himself in danger. With locksat, that attitude and inability of Castle to stay out of the case will get him killed, so Kate is trying to keep him as far from the investigation as she can. And in some sense, last nights episode proved that point. As one poster pointed out earlier, Kate knows her husband well, when he saw that text he now knows she is investigating something, and I can bet that the next step is that he tries to find out what.

What has also been shown countless times on this show is when Beckett goes awol and tries to tackle anything serious alone she gets into big trouble. They make a better team fighting problems together than apart, she should have recognized that fact by now. Her going off on a one woman crusade doesn't make sense, she didn't solve her mother's case on her own, the initial breakthrough came via Castle. What makes her think she'll solve the Locksat case in double quick time with the aid of Vikram, a guy she seems to place a lot of trust and faith in for some reason - pity she can't do the same with her husband. 

Also any concerns about his safety don't add up given the numerous times she has allowed him to get into dangerous situations. If she was really that worried she would have had a major issue about him continuing to work with her on cases when they first became a couple and in 8.01 she was clearly disappointed he didn't want to be with her at the precinct, she likes working with him, they're partners and share the danger together that's always been the way of it which is what makes this separation look so weak. 

I agree with KaveDweller there's nothing wrong in Castle being angry now as long as it's depicted in the right way. 

Edited by verdana

If Beckett wants to sex up the hubby, then don't call stupid "timeouts" and then send mixed signals. Anniversary or not, Castle was an idiot, IMO, for giving in without some explanation.

He should have just given Beckett a vibrator and told her that was the best she'd get unless she told him WTF she was doing.

But I'm mean, so...

Did we see a different episode? In the one I saw, Castle was the one who wanted to get together on their anniversary and Beckett was the one who reluctantly agreed, and only after Castle acknowledged that their anniversary "date" would not change anything.  Beckett showed up with dinner from Remy's since they'd missed the original dinner (I liked that shout-out to Remy's) and Castle was the one who initiated sex. Beckett responded instinctively, then hesitated again until Castle assured her he understood that sex would not affect the separation. At what point should he have presented this vibrator?

This show sucks at story arcs. It started sucking at story arcs right about "Knockout" when they took out Montgomery and F**ked with the character dynamics in a way that has never allowed the show to return to the overall cast chemistry of S1-S3. The Season of Secrets sucked, the way they handled Beckett's PTSD sucked, the Douchebag Arc sucked, the post-Knockdown part of the Johanna Beckett story sucked, the Castle Disappearance sucked (can you imagine what his fiance and family went through and then zero payoff in the storyline?) and this Locksat arc sucks. The DC arc almost redeemed itself, but it was so ill-conceived that the negativity that preceded it on the Internet tainted it before it had a chance to air.

So no surprise that the reason for the separation is poorly planned and badly executed. And to enjoy the show you have to accept that Beckett truly believes that she is saving Castle's life by keeping the secret and that Castle has no doubt of his wife's love for him or his for her. When you accept that, the rest makes sense. True, the writers have done a piss-poor job of selling it, but it's clearly what the audience is intended to accept. If that's the foundation of the ongoing story, the anger from Castle is counter-productive and both of them ignoring the "official" separation to be intimate on their anniversary also makes sense.

Casting Beckett as the villain in that scenario and Castle her unwitting victim neither enhances my enjoyment of the show nor does it actually make sense. Castle wasn't deceived or coerced. He initiated the intimacy and enjoyed it. They spent the night together and separated in the morning. Castle also had a wee invasion of her privacy (I was happy to finally see his old character showing up) and will hopefully tug on this thread until she is forced to confess and they all work together on Locksat, thereby giving me my show back.

I'm optimistic that way. Hell, I adjusted to the stupidity of Beckett not having a problem with thinking Castle was dead, thinking he was kidnapped, spending months and all her vacation looking for him then finding out he helped engineer the whole thing, but that the reason was a secret because the writers couldn't come up with a justification good enough to keep Castle's character sympathetic. Given the justification they've now given Beckett for leaving her marriage, I now understand that when trying to come up with a reason for Castle leaving his wife at the alter after all the months of planning the perfect wedding, they just decided, "f**k it".

• Love 4

Did we see a different episode? In the one I saw, Castle was the one who wanted to get together on their anniversary and Beckett was the one who reluctantly agreed, and only after Castle acknowledged that their anniversary "date" would not change anything.  Beckett showed up with dinner from Remy's since they'd missed the original dinner (I liked that shout-out to Remy's) and Castle was the one who initiated sex. Beckett responded instinctively, then hesitated again until Castle assured her he understood that sex would not affect the separation. At what point should he have presented this vibrator?

Casting Beckett as the villain in that scenario and Castle her unwitting victim neither enhances my enjoyment of the show nor does it actually make sense. Castle wasn't deceived or coerced. He initiated the intimacy and enjoyed it. They spent the night together and separated in the morning. Castle also had a wee invasion of her privacy (I was happy to finally see his old character showing up) and will hopefully tug on this thread until she is forced to confess and they all work together on Locksat, thereby giving me my show back.

For starters, the anniversary dinner got cancelled. She had her 'out' if she wanted to keep away from him, she had no responsibility to be there. She is responsible for everything that happens between her and Castle (in a physical sense) because she knows the situation, she knows how Castle has responded since she walked out on the marriage. It has been her decision to remain distant, she shouldn't get to pick and choose when (and when not) she will give him some attention and when to ignore him. She can't be giving him mixed signals, not if she is serious about keeping him away. Nothing she is doing is showing confidence, is showing any sign of intelligent thought. She is being a complete hypocrite, completely selfish, and hugely unfair to him.

You really are describing Beckett as a weak human being if you think she had to be forced into sleeping with him. Ever thought that maybe Beckett just got 'shaken' after seeing Castle's reaction to the divorce lawyer and had to put in some ground work to reassure herself? It seems much more likely as the cause for showing up to his place (at night) and then sleeping with him. Beckett clearly wanted to sleep with him, she just didn't want him to think it meant anything (the definition of a booty call). She is manipulating him because she understands the situation, she understands that she can show Castle this affection and keep him invested. It's completely selfish.

"Castle wasn't deceived or coerced" - He's been getting deceived by Beckett since the start of the season, nothing has changed.

I completely agree with everything said above, however its all immaterial. Our illustrious showrunners dont see it the way so many of us do, so it will never be written that way. They've got her on this selfless mission, with Castle just reaffirming his undying faith in all her decisions - and IF promos are to be believed, back to his silly, 'I'll do anything' self. I predict whenever they get around to trying to right this mess, no grand apology or awareness from Beckett, no anger, upset from Castle. Too messy, too indepth for these guys to write. Too much for fans to hope for.

Agree 100%. Beckett won't apologize at all, Castle won't show any sort of realistic emotion that goes against his doormat status, and we'll have the predictable near death experience or pregnancy that brings them together without explaining any of their issues.

It's nothing if not predictable.

Edited by Chado
  • Love 2

You really are describing Beckett as a weak human being if you think she had to be forced into sleeping with him.

Jeez Louise, talk about twisting my words. Hey, you're allowed to look at the worst possible rationale for everything the character does. Have at it. But that does not require ascribing opinions to me that I never expressed. I never said or implied that Beckett was forced to sleep with Castle. I said that the basis for the ongoing storyline is that the characters love one another. From that, I infer that they want to sleep with each other. She hesitated TWICE until he assured her that he understood what he was getting into and that intimacy between them would not affect her decision to leave the marriage. How on earth do you twist that into her being forced?!

The irony is, that I don't see either character as being weak, whereas the Beckett-haters present a scenario in which Castle is beyond weak - he's an absolute idiot. Happily, I see two characters in love and making bad decisions. Beckett by not communicating and Castle by not exhibiting healthy intellectual curiosity about his wife's actions. Anger is a secondary emotion, so I hope that if/when he expresses it, he's also honest about the primary emotions that drive it, one of which surely has to be confusion. But for a man who enjoys puzzles and mysteries, he is remarkably content to let the one that is affecting his marriage go unsolved. Bad writing, for sure, that I optimistically expect to be addressed now that he's read that text.

• Love 4

Jeez Louise, talk about twisting my words. Hey, you're allowed to look at the worst possible rationale for everything the character does. Have at it. But that does not require ascribing opinions to me that I never expressed. I never said or implied that Beckett was forced to sleep with Castle. I said that the basis for the ongoing storyline is that the characters love one another. From that, I infer that they want to sleep with each other. She hesitated TWICE until he assured her that he understood what he was getting into and that intimacy between them would not affect her decision to leave the marriage. How on earth do you twist that into her being forced?!

How do I come to that conclusion? Well.....You used the words 'reluctantly' and 'instinctively" to describe how Beckett was convinced into sleeping with him. Your entire first half of the post was implying how Castle was the one who engineered the entire thing into happening. Your suggestion being that Beckett wasn't responsible for that action at all, Castle wanted it. If you truly believe that the "characters love one another. From that, I infer that they want to sleep with each other" - then why even make the distinction? Why suggest it was Castle who had to convince her to do it?

Just for clarification, I clearly don't mean Castle "forced" her into sleeping with him like you are trying to imply I meant, they are married for christ sake. But you are suggesting that Castle talked her into it, that he is responsible for that. To remove the entire circumstances of their breaking up when discussing who is really responsible for it happening, seems a little odd to me. If Beckett doesn't show up, they don't sleep together. That's the end of it.

This all started when you took issue to Wendy suggesting that "If Beckett wants to sex up the hubby, then don't call stupid "timeouts" and then send mixed signals. Anniversary or not, Castle was an idiot, IMO, for giving in without some explanation." but Wendy is right, if she calls a timeout, she shouldn't be showing up at his place with dinner, she shouldn't allow herself to be talked into sleeping with Castle (as you put it).

How isn't Beckett primarily response for them sleeping together? What does Castle 'convincing' her even matter? These are her imposed rules, why isn't she sticking to them?

For starters, the anniversary dinner got cancelled. She had her 'out' if she wanted to keep away from him, she had no responsibility to be there. She is responsible for everything that happens between her and Castle (in a physical sense) because she knows the situation, she knows how Castle has responded since she walked out on the marriage.

The dinner didn't get cancelled, it got postponed. Castle said "rain check on dinner," meaning he wanted to do it another time. And yes Beckett could have used it as a way to back out, but so could Castle. But he didn't because he clearly wanted to have sex.

Ever thought that maybe Beckett just got 'shaken' after seeing Castle's reaction to the divorce lawyer and had to put in some ground work to reassure herself? It seems much more likely as the cause for showing up to his place (at night) and then sleeping with him.

I think she showed up because, like she told Vikram, she missed him. But I don't think she would have done it if Castle hadn't told her he wanted celebrate their anniversary and convinced her he knew it wouldn't change anything.

Now again, I'm NOT defending Beckett's actions in leaving Castle. But I don't understand how Beckett deceived him into having sex. Castle knows Beckett left him with no explanation, he knew sex wasn't going to change anything, and he still chose to do it. He's the one who kissed her the second she walked into the door and started things up.

Just cause Beckett was wrong to leave doesn't mean Castle doesn't have control of his own actions.

• Love 4

Now again, I'm NOT defending Beckett's actions in leaving Castle. But I don't understand how Beckett deceived him into having sex. Castle knows Beckett left him with no explanation, he knew sex wasn't going to change anything, and he still chose to do it. He's the one who kissed her the second she walked into the door and started things up.

Just cause Beckett was wrong to leave doesn't mean Castle doesn't have control of his own actions.

Who is saying Castle doesn't have control of his own actions? Please show me.

I also didn't say Beckett deceived him into having sex.

"he knew sex wasn't going to change anything" - How do you know Castle didn't think having sex would possibly change things? He has been trying to 'win her back' by solving cases together since the start of the season. When he has an opportunity to kiss her, when she agrees to sleep together, he obviously won't say no. How do you possibly know that he doesn't think it will work in his favor, when he has been shown trying to 'win her back' since the very start of the season?

Beckett is the one who has walked away from her marriage, Beckett is the one who went to his place. Beckett is the one who agreed to them sleeping together while believing she has to stay away from Castle. She had every opportunity to say no.

It is her responsibility to adhere to the very ground rules she is enforcing upon the both of them. She doesn't get to pick and choose when she throws him an ounce of affection.

She is completely responsible for everything that happened, I say that whilst fully understanding that Castle is responsible for his own actions.

Edited by Chado

Who is saying Castle doesn't have control of his own actions? Please show me.

I also didn't say Beckett deceived him into having sex.

"he knew sex wasn't going to change anything" - How do you know Castle didn't think having sex would possibly change things? He has been trying to 'win her back' by solving cases together since the start of the season. When he has an opportunity to kiss her, when she agrees to sleep together, he obviously won't say no. How do you possibly know that he doesn't think it will work in his favor, when he has been shown trying to 'win her back' since the very start of the season?

I guess I misunderstood, but I took you saying Beckett is responsible as implying Castle has no control. My apologies. I think that they are equally responsible because it took both of them to have sex.

Well I say he knew it wouldn't change anything because Beckett told him that twice, and he said twice that he knew that. If he had hope it would be more (which would be human), it's not Beckett's fault.

You guys focus on the sexual act more than what Beckett even being there to begin with means, how selfish that is. How selfish it is of her to keep sending him mixed signals and not tell him anything.

Her decision to leave the marriage means nothing, has no emotional impact, if she's just going to give him a booty call to 'check in' and make sure Castle still has faith with her. The whole 'see you around' was tasteless, the question about the divorce lawyer makes her look like a hypocrite, and the fact Castle even wants to sleep with her under those conditions, makes him look completely pathetic.

The writers took the easy way out, pandering to the fans. They know that if Castle and Beckett have sex, people will lose their shit and ignore everything else, which includes viewing the situation for what it actually is.

Whatever conditions the sex occurred under, Beckett should have never been there, she is completely taking advantage of Castle, and Castle is letting her do it.

That's why Beckett is responsible, because in her mindset, under her previous actions, Castle has never had a choice. She shouldn't be giving him one now.

• Love 1

You guys focus on the sexual act more than what Beckett even being there to begin with means, how selfish that is. How selfish it is of her to keep sending him mixed signals and not tell him anything.

Well I thought the conversation was about the sexual act. I mean of course what Beckett is doing this season is selfish. Of course it's making both characters look bad. She's been sending mixed signals all season and Castle should be demanding answers. The writers suck for not showing a real impact of her decisions. That's all been said a million times. I was just talking about the new events of this episode, which was them having their time out time out sex. Accepting that this stupid storyline is happening, I didn't have a problem with how it played out.

• Love 1

Whatever conditions the sex occurred under, Beckett should have never been there, she is completely taking advantage of Castle, and Castle is letting her do it.

This is the basis of my disagreement with you. Your negative opinion notwithstanding, nothing on my screen says Beckett "took advantage" of Castle. He wanted to have sex with her and he did. They both enjoyed it. He was not some passive participant in the situation; he went out of his way to initiate it. She gained nothing and he lost nothing, so repeating that she "took advantage" does not make it so.

The date would not have happened if Castle had not initiated it and we will never know if the sex would have happened if Castle had not initiated it. You acknowledged Beckett's reluctance (although you spin that into some nefarious plot that made her weak) which TWICE gave Castle time to reconsider his wanting to have sex. And twice he decided to have sex. The idea that Beckett is this vamp who "takes advantage" of poor Castle is illogical at best.

As to "Beckett should never have been there" - that is your judgment, not a fact. I was happy she relented. I think it made sense, given that she loves him and was charmed by what he did. She agreed to dinner and when that was postponed she brought dinner to his place. Dinner from a place where they had history. If Beckett had turned Castle down after his PDA I doubt you'd have been cheering her on. Hey, I get you don't see anything good about Beckett - maybe even the show. But there's plenty of actual stuff to back up your opinion. Beckett peeing in Castle's corn flakes on their anniversary after he set up a surprise in her office would legitimately have been one of them.

Edited by pepper
  • Love 2

It never even crossed my mind at the time that Castle would think its another guy. The message was clear that something was found - didnt sound romantic in any way. That being said, where they are going with this story is anyones guess, and nothing would surprise me. Is that the Public Defenders role? I really hope this isnt where they plan on going, its like adding fuel to an inferno.

I will say that Alexis looked appropriately dressed for the office.

But what is going on with her hair?  The colour appears to be Lucozade Orange, its getting distracting especially against her ultra pale skin. 

It never even crossed my mind at the time that Castle would think its another guy. The message was clear that something was found - didnt sound romantic in any way. That being said, where they are going with this story is anyones guess, and nothing would surprise me. Is that the Public Defenders role? I really hope this isnt where they plan on going, its like adding fuel to an inferno.

He's a "foil" for Beckett and got something to do with the Castle mythology if I recall. Whilst nothing much would surprise me at this stage I'd be shocked out my shoes if he provides any kind of romantic distraction, that would be show suicide If the showrunners thought the heat they're getting is bad over this separation can you imagine the fury if they hint at Obsessed!Beckett casting eyes at this new guy after what she's' done to Castle? LOL They'd need a bunker to hide in if they go there. 

Hawley said they planned to look into Castle's disappearance again possibly in episodes...13,14,15 or something like that so it makes sense they introduce this guy now and bed him in ready to get that kick started for the second half of the season. 

Edited by verdana

He's a "foil" for Beckett and got something to do with the Castle mythology if I recall. Whilst nothing much would surprise me at this stage I'd be shocked out my shoes if he provides any kind of romantic distraction, that would be show suicide If the showrunners thought the heat they're getting is bad over this separation can you imagine the fury if they hint at Obsessed!Beckett casting eyes at this new guy after what she's' done to Castle? LOL They'd need a bunker to hide in if they go there.

Hawley said they planned to look into Castle's disappearance again possibly in episodes...13,14,15 or something like that so it makes sense they introduce this guy now and bed him in ready to get that kick started for the second half of the season.

I will say, Castle was originally described as Becketts 'foil' pre Season 1 descriptions. Just saying...

Did I have a dream, or do I remember the promo distinctly showing Castle being jealous?

Admittedly, it might have seeped into my subconscious, since I believe the show has no depths as to how low they can go with painting Castle as a humongous loser.

If you mean 8.08 you must have been dreaming unless there's a different one doing the rounds, we're talking goofy fun Castle all the way, the change in tone from the end scene of this one to high jinks for Caskett on a cruise ship was jarring.  

I do agree with you though that the writers are more than happy to paint Castle as a sad sack loser as often as they can when he's not off saving the world obviously. 

Edited by verdana

If you mean 8.08 you must have been dreaming unless there's a different one doing the rounds, we're talking goofy fun Castle all the way, the change in tone from the end scene of this one to high jinks for Caskett on a cruise ship was jarring.  

I do agree with you though that the writers are more than happy to paint Castle as a sad sack loser as often as they can when he's not off saving the world obviously. 

If anything, Castle with the dancer girls would lead to Beckett potentially being jealous.  But pretzels are the order of the day, so who knows.