Type keyword(s) to search

Hailing Frequencies Open: Media Articles, Casting News, Scheduling

• Start Topic

I remember Ethan Peck from 'Ten Things I Hate About You' - which I thought was a fun show. Glad to see him again - beard notwithstanding. And yeah, more Michelle Yeoh in black leather (Emma Peel was my first girl crush)!

37 minutes ago, paulvdb said:

"CBS All Access" Goes Black Ops with Michelle Yeoh for New "Star Trek" Series

Edit: after reading the article I'll add a spoiler warning. It mentions something about her character that I don't remember being mentioned in season 1, so I'm assuming that it refers to something that will happen in season 2.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm referring to the mention of Section 31.

The thing was revealed in a "bonus scene" they released back in March.  

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I’m just thrilled about this as I have been enjoying this year just as much and possibly more than last. And season 3 is usually where Star Treks get good (at least TNG and DS9, with ENT and VOY it was season 4) so that’s a really great sign.

• Love 1

Which Star Trek Captain Has the Best Managerial Technique?

Would she be a good boss? Put simply, working for this Philippa Georgiou, at least in the mirror universe that made her, would mean constantly fearing for your life as part of a pitiless, fascist organization hell-bent on conquering the universe with little regard for its employees’ quality of life. 

Needless to say, she didn't fair very well. 

I pretty much agree with the list, although there are some close calls.

On 3/16/2019 at 10:39 AM, Unusual Suspect said:

Aside from ranking Archer too highly, as I have nothing but disdain for the character, I'd have to agree with this list. And it's not like they're wrong in their points about Archer as a boss.

Janeway is the worst....She trapped them in the Delta Quadrant by not violating the Prime Directive..then spends the rest of the seasons looking for shortcuts and violating the Prime Directive..worst boss ever...

4 hours ago, starri said:

In all the excitement over the Picard trailer, the other one for the new batch of Short Treks also appeared.

PIKE!!!!!!!

We're getting 6 Short Treks this time, 2 more than last year

-- The Girl Who Made the Stars
-- The Children of Mars
-- The Trouble with Edward
-- Ask Not
-- Ephaim and Dot
-- Q & A

I wonder if they will all involve the Enterprise crew. 

Maybe they will follow up on last year's Calypso Short Trek -- because that Short Trek had nearly no connection to the events of S2.

Is it too much to hope that John DeLancie might be in Q & A ?  But I suspect that will be the episode with Number One and Spock trapped in the turbolift.

1 minute ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I wonder if they will all involve the Enterprise crew. 

Apparently, three will be on the Enterprise, two are animated, and the final one will tie in with Picard.

• Love 1

During the panel in Hall H, Kurtzman asked the crowd if they'd like to see a Pike series, and got a huge confirmation cheer.  His response was "noted."

I honestly think they'd do it in a heartbeat if they could get Anson Mount to commit.  He's said that needing to be in Canada for months to film is too hard for him, but maybe they'd consider either backing up a dumptruck full of money into his drive, move the production to LA (like Picard), or both.

Also, Pike is almost helping me not to miss Lorca quite so much. It's going to make the part where he ends up melted in a beepy chair way more painful (50 year old spoiler).

The opposite happened to me.  I really found myself missing Lorca and especially Season One, while watching Season Two.  Pike was bland, unnecessary to the season's arc and such a bore to me.  If they do a Trek series with him in the lead, I won't be watching it.  I'm not into ridiculously ideal characters who are basically used for the sake of nostalgia.  I prefer TV shows, movies and characters that are a lot more original.

• Love 2
On 7/22/2019 at 1:01 PM, LJones41 said:

Also, Pike is almost helping me not to miss Lorca quite so much. It's going to make the part where he ends up melted in a beepy chair way more painful (50 year old spoiler).

The opposite happened to me.  I really found myself missing Lorca and especially Season One, while watching Season Two. 

¿Por que no los dos? I loved both Lorca and Pike. And I still think Saru is a fantastic (and overdue) captain—I hope he gets his chance now.

• Love 1
On 7/22/2019 at 5:01 PM, LJones41 said:

I'm not into ridiculously ideal characters who are basically used for the sake of nostalgia.

So I take it you won't be watching Star Trek: Picard? Jean-Luc is by far my favoprite Star TrekCharacter, and Patrick Stewart had (ans has agian) the very difficult task of making an impossibly virtous person interesting

• Love 2

I am just watching the season 1 DVDs. Episodes are 44ish minutes and you can tell where commercial breaks would be. My question is-are there commercials when these aired on All Access? Or is this for if/when it airs on cable or broadcast?

On 3/28/2019 at 2:00 PM, paigow said:

Janeway is the worst....She trapped them in the Delta Quadrant by not violating the Prime Directive..then spends the rest of the seasons looking for shortcuts and violating the Prime Directive..worst boss ever...

I have never seen any evidence that Janeway was the worst Trek captain.  And why is it that so many male fans tend to heavily criticize Trek leads like Janeway and Burnham?

So I take it you won't be watching Star Trek: Picard? Jean-Luc is by far my favoprite Star TrekCharacter, and Patrick Stewart had (ans has agian) the very difficult task of making an impossibly virtous person interesting

I haven't made up my mind.  If the show was basically a TNG-era redux, I see no point in watching it.  Picard was virtuous?  Considering the number of mistakes he had made and the numerous times he had ignored the Prime Directive?  Don't get me wrong.  I don't mind.  But I've never regarded him as "virtuous".  If I had, I would have never watched TNG.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, LJones41 said:

But I've never regarded him as "virtuous".  If I had, I would have never watched TNG.

I agree that Picard was way too used to his priveledge afforded by his rank, something Q pointed out. He also once asked his lover to leave the Enterprise because he couldn't handle his feelings. He was also self-righteous, which did lead to voilating the Prime Directive a few times. Yet he still had many admirable qulaities. I am so interested in seeing how his old age and retirement from Starfleet has changed him.

The Space channel plays Star Trek reruns on weekday afternoons: TOS on Mondays,, TNG on Tuesdays, Voyager Wednesday, DS9 Thursdaya and Enterprise on Friday. It's interesting to compare them as the decades move on.

TNG is the one I like the least because it was so sexist even for the 1990s.  Wesley Crusher is considered the original Mary Sue but for my money, Picarrd and Ryker were worse. They had faults, on paper, but they were never less than the heroes of the show, and it was the men, Ryker, Picard, Wesley, Data and Geordie who were the real stars of the show. In terms of the female characters, they got maybe one episode per season about them. And once Tasha Yar was gone, only the female stereotypes roles: Guinan the shoulder for everyone to cry on, Beverly the doctor and Deanna the counselor. All three of these are written as the "caring empathetic woman" and sometimes badly.  I was in university studying psychology at the time and wow, did we mock Deanna Troi, male and female alike.

Voyager and DS9, in contrast, had some impressive female characters and gave them room to shine (a little too much for SevenofNine in my opinion).

I'm willing to give Picard a try to see if they can fix the sexism and Gary Stu problem. But as Patrick Stewart is an executive producer, I'm not optimistic.

• Love 4