Type keyword(s) to search

Adam Ruins Everything - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 10/30/2016 at 4:11 PM, niklj said:

I don't really know what the election special was trying to accomplish. I know Adam said his biggest disappointment was the election episode because he heard from people that it actually made them not want to vote, but it felt like he was trying to tell us here that we should be okay with the status quo because that's how it always is and that it works...?

Or basically not vote for Trump? 

If memory serves, I liked the election ep but rolled my eyes at Adam "debunking" the Electoral College by gaming the system and claiming it was racially motivated. The system was put in place to decentralize and help even the playing field amongst the states. Any system can be gamed.

• Love 2
On 11/28/2018 at 8:29 PM, 27bored said:

The reason the NRA tends to balk at gun control, notionally, is because they believe regulators won't stop at any one measure.

It's not only government that's a driving force. Business and technology/progress probably more so. Add to that private interest groups get to lobby and bring forth court cases that'll be a sure bet to rule many times in their favor. As much as some folks go with the 'slippery slope' with the gun issue,  one could use 'slippery slope' with regards to having been given an inch, as in the original intent of the 2nd amendment and its being of its time,  and then taking it a a mile to where it's interpretation stands today.

• Love 2

Watched the Adam Ruins Sitcoms last night.  I thought the funniest part was the stereotype they didn't even mention:

The sitcom family had a white father, a Latino mother, a black child, and an Asian child.

• Love 1
On 12/7/2018 at 8:42 PM, hoosiermom said:

I liked the episode on sleep but he didn’t give any help on how one should by a mattress.

For me, they did. There was a reference to a site called "Sleep Like the Dead." They use surveys to rate mattresses. I ended up buying a foam bed in a box that was 1/2 the price of the one I originally looked at because the reviews were very similar.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, ketose said:

For me, they did. There was a reference to a site called "Sleep Like the Dead." They use surveys to rate mattresses. I ended up buying a foam bed in a box that was 1/2 the price of the one I originally looked at because the reviews were very similar.

Thanks! Guess I missed that.

On 1/16/2019 at 1:41 PM, rmontro said:

Watched the Adam Ruins Sitcoms last night.  I thought the funniest part was the stereotype they didn't even mention:

The sitcom family had a white father, a Latino mother, a black child, and an Asian child.

I think the Asian kid was the neighbor but I could be wrong.

• Love 1

I haven't yet watched this week's ep, I think I was so disgusted by last week's ep. I normally cut the writers a lot of slack (in that I know some of the facts are somewhat selective, but it's still entertaining), but I was BLOWN AWAY that last week's ep cutting down stereotype sitcom tropes did not address the slutty-seeming scantily-clad female classmate. Are you fucking kidding me? They addressed all these harmful stereotypes about being Asian, black, and male (with the briefest of mentions for the Latina mom), but nothing about the outrageously flirty blonde girl? Yes, that could cover a week's worth of episodes, but why did they make her character so OTT stereotyped if to not address it? And on an ep in which he shows how many female writers they have?? My mind is exploding.

• Love 1

...but I was BLOWN AWAY that last week's ep cutting down stereotype sitcom tropes did not address the slutty-seeming scantily-clad female classmate.

Or the average-looking guy with a beautiful wife (usually with perfect hair and makeup, unless it's a comic kitchen or repair disaster), but once a year or so still has a beautiful woman interested in him. 

It would have been easy to work in when they were talking about other stuff, especially as part of the in-passing reference to the Latina mother.  I realize they can't get to every stereotype in 21 minutes, but at the risk of mansplaining the obvious, stereotypes about women create a lot of problems for a very large group of people (I'd say "everyone" but I'm not sure how they impact monks and people who don't watch television at all.)

• Love 1

I loved the sitcom episode; good on them that they covered that dumb ass, ignorant stereotype that black people can't swim because of some genetic issue.  I mean I've come across ignorant assholes who are surprised that I swim.  WTF?  

On 1/23/2019 at 10:06 PM, Dewey Decimate said:

I haven't yet watched this week's ep, I think I was so disgusted by last week's ep. I normally cut the writers a lot of slack (in that I know some of the facts are somewhat selective, but it's still entertaining), but I was BLOWN AWAY that last week's ep cutting down stereotype sitcom tropes did not address the slutty-seeming scantily-clad female classmate. Are you fucking kidding me? They addressed all these harmful stereotypes about being Asian, black, and male (with the briefest of mentions for the Latina mom), but nothing about the outrageously flirty blonde girl? Yes, that could cover a week's worth of episodes, but why did they make her character so OTT stereotyped if to not address it? And on an ep in which he shows how many female writers they have?? My mind is exploding.

I was really pissed about that too. I thought for sure it would be addressed, as the character was so obvious, but nope, not a word. 

This season really lost a few steps. Just not as sharp and funny as the previous ones.

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:39 PM, CoyoteBlue said:

This is why as a single gal, unless I'm specifically buying for a big recipe, I buy my milk in pints (or Dean's "chugs"). If I only crack open two cups at a time, I can usually use it before it goes bad, and the rest of the milk I bought is still safely sealed.

I buy a gallon of skim milk for cheap and kept it long past (several weeks) the expiration date before it went bad. I rarely have to throw mine out.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:42 PM, hoosiermom said:

I liked the episode on sleep but he didn’t give any help on how one should by a mattress.

Consumer reports?

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:36 PM, Notwisconsin said:

He said that they tasted bland.

Of course they're bland; they're picked while green and "ripened" in a gas chamber. I remember touring a banana plantation in Costa Rica and the samples they gave us were so much better.

• Love 1
On 8/14/2019 at 11:57 AM, AnimeMania said:

I found it was interesting that state constitutions have been changed several times, but the federal constitution is thought of as perfect.

I think some people claim it's perfect,  but most obviously know it's not - that's what amendments are for. And it is as it should be, that the overwhelming will of the people gets an amendment passed, not just a 51-49 Senate vote. 

• Love 3

Wow, did Adam ever jump in with both feet on the “ruins cops” episode.

I was shocked that the average cop only makes one felony arrest per year, though it was unclear whether that meant a felony conviction from the arrest, or just charging someone with a felony. Maybe I’ve been watching too much Live P.D. 

• Love 1