Type keyword(s) to search

Chris Colfer/Kurt Hummel

Chris improvised Kurt's famous line "One day you'll all work for me!" in 1x02, when they threw him in the dumpster. And I think that became the essence of Kurt: defying gravity indeed.

This cocky and defying attitude was most apparent in the earlier seasons (and it brought him in, often well deserved, trouble enough). But even though they mellowed him later to be more accepting and suitable as Rachel's and Blaine's prop (the 'old' Kurt would never have put up with their selfish crap) there were still moments that showed that Kurt may have (too much of) a forgiving nature to his own detriment, but ultimately there's a limit as to how far his patience and leniency goes. And even when they practically muted him in seasons 4 and 5 it was visible in the looks Chris gave in the background. Needless to say that as a Kurt fan those rare moments were usually the highlights of an episode for me.

Edited by Glorfindel
  • Love 1

Chris improvised Kurt's famous line "One day you'll all work for me!" in 2x01, when they threw him in the dumpster. And I think that became the essence of Kurt: defying gravity indeed.

This cocky and defying attitude was most apparent in the earlier seasons (and it brought him in, often well deserved, trouble enough). But even though they mellowed him later to be more accepting and suitable as Rachel's and Blaine's prop (the 'old' Kurt would never have put up with their selfish crap) there were still moments that showed that Kurt may have (too much of) a forgiving nature to his own detriment, but ultimately there's a limit as to how far his patience and leniency goes. And even when they practically muted him in seasons 4 and 5 it was visible in the looks Chris gave in the background. Needless to say that as a Kurt fan those rare moments were usually the highlights of an episode for me.

I totally agree with this post, Chris acting is the saving grace of Kurt in these past few seasons because the writers have taking away almost everything that made Kurt an entertaining character to watch and love.  I loved that during the New York arcs, there were a lot of time where it seems like Kurt was not only tire of Blaine's crap but also Rachel's as well. He seems like he was forcing himself to keep quiet and not tell them exactly what he thought of their crap because he loves them and wanted to keep the peace. Base on how the writers have been writing Kurt, I think this was all Chris. 

I wish that instead of changing Kurt in order to make him fit the position of being role model for gay men, that the writers have just created another gay character, not as love interest for Kurt.  

that the writers have just created another gay character, not as love interest for Kurt.

Well they did that with Starchild/Elliot. Alas it was for a guest star with a limited shelf life.

Edited by caracas1914

If I have one wish for this season, it would be that whatever storyline Kurt has is not totally dominated by trying to rebuild Rachel and her career or around getting Blaine back. I don't expect him to get major focus, but if there was one thing that really irritated me last season what just how often Kurt ignores focusing on himself in favor of either supporting Rachel (who so often didn't deserve it) or Blaine (ditto). Tested and Old Dogs New Tricks were the only episodes last season where Kurt was focusing on himself and not on being the selfless faithful friend and fiancé and actually focusing on his own aspirations. I'll give Kurt five minutes of helping Rachel out and listening to her moan and weep about how unfairly the world has treated her before he gives her the "Are you kidding?" look and lays the hard truth on her and that while he loved her and wants to help her, that he's got to also focus on his own career for a novel change. 

lays the hard truth on her and that while he loved her and wants to help her, that he's got to also focus on his own career for a novel change.

Don't mix up the writers lack of career development  for Kurt and blame Rachel/Blaine as if they are interfering in some way.

As far as I remember Kurt has not missed an opportunity due to either of them.   Problem is the writers aren't writing him opportunities.

Edited by tom87

Kurt spent a huge amount of time last season either supporting Rachel during the whole Funny Girl mess (including trying to help cover her ass when she flew to LA and was going to miss a show) and then made a critical error in trying to include Blaine on the performance in front of a big benefactor (that Kurt earned and Blaine did not). I'm not saying that Rachel stood in Kurt's way professionally (though she did show a real lack of any interest in helping him the way he's helped her), but the show had tied Kurt's storyline so tightly to Rachel's (and Blaine's) that his growth as a performer and chance for professional advancement wasn't given the focus that it deserved.

She has been very encouraging to him about his talent.

At times, she has been. She also deeply resents anytime he gets a success over her. And then we have that lovely rant in Bash where she ridiculed him about needing the safety of NYADA because he (according to her) didn't have the balls to try to make it in the real world. Or how she couldn't find a spot for him in her Broadway Bitches show because he wasn't a big enough name to be a draw and wouldn't attend his play at the nursing home because she was oh so busy. She's fine with encouraging him so long as it doesn't in any way impact on what she has planned for herself.

Edited by Hana Chan

Yet none of that has kept him from focusing on his career.  

I am not disagreeing with with many of your points. I want that for Kurt too. But this blame everything on Rachel is getting old.  In this case I do not think Rachel is keeping Kurt from focusing on his career.

It boils down to the writers don't give Kurt any kind of focus or POV where a SL centers on him. Even "Bashed" was so odd because it seems they just wanted the image of him beaten up without any actual storyline. He's not considered a leading character like a Rachel or Blaine, but more a support for them.

Which is their perogative so only 13 more episodes to endure of that.

It could be worse, he could be Will, Artie or Santana.

• Love 1

If I have one wish for this season, it would be that whatever storyline Kurt has is not totally dominated by trying to rebuild Rachel and her career or around getting Blaine back.

So far I see nothing encouraging on the horizon. Unless Chris gets to write another episode, but as with ODNT, it won't hold up unless it's the finale, and I'm ambivalent about Chris going anywhere near this mess. 

Edited by fakeempress

Having Chris write another episode has no downside for either him or Glee. He wrote one of the better episodes of the season (and except for the AV Club, the reviews were across the board quite complimentary). It would give him another credit on his CV and add to his legitimacy as a writer (not that he really needs it after three NYT bestsellers, but it doesn't hurt). As for the show, what do they have to lose at this stage? The reviews were positive for Chris's episode and it will help generate some trace of interest in this zombie of a TV show. And since the writers show no interest in writing storylines for Kurt, they can leave it in Chris's hands and give him an episode to play with where Kurt can finally have his voice again.

I don't particularly care about Kurt, but are his fans sure they want him front and center? Cause he has fared pretty well in terms of character development and dignity if you compare him to someone like Blaine, Sam and even Rachel who just keep regressing and becoming more and more obnoxious every time the writers turn their incompetence on them. Kurt being a secondary player has worked in his favour IMO. He wasn't written to play with puppets, or be obsessed with his straight BFF, or be ungrateful for every miraculous opportunity that came his way, etc. Kurt is the only character I think that the writers don't just write to fit whatever cray cray plot of the week popped into their minds during their nightly crack smoking session. Sure, that means he doesn't feature as much as he could otherwise, but given the writing talent of this show...I don't know if that's necessarily a bad thing for the character.

• Love 1

Compared to the trashing that I'm expecting for Rachel and Blaine this coming season, Kurt got off damned good by having the writers forgetting about him more often than not. And when they did remember him he usually got something pretty good as a result. He ended the season still at NYADA, a rising talent, a hero for trying to save someone from a beat down and acknowledged hottie. Except for a decided lack of solo vocal performances (only one *grumbles*), the season ended on a pretty good note for him.

I'm torn. I want Kurt to have stories where he is front and center and I want him to get the screen time that gets lavished on Blaine and Rachel, but at the same time I'm terrified at what they might do to Kurt if they actually focused on him that much.

I'm not torn.

I want Kurt to get fucking storylines front and center and his character be damned.  Let him fuck Sebastian unitl the Warbler can't walk straight and then let him fuck Elliot and Adam.   Let  him backstab Rachel and never again take the high road.  Let Kurt be snarky, bitchy and hell on wheels, being rude, insensitive and self absorbed  for his career.

Chris Colfer would kill that shit.

• Love 3

I'm not torn.

I want Kurt to get fucking storylines front and center and his character be damned.  Let him fuck Sebastian unitl the Warbler can't walk straight and then let him fuck Elliot and Adam.   Let  him backstab Rachel and never again take the high road.  Let Kurt be snarky, bitchy and hell on wheels, being rude, insensitive and self absorbed  for his career.

Chris Colfer would kill that shit.

So Kurt is to be  how some described Rachel, the Rachel that people resent and  get mad at for doing the things you described. 

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

I don't know what happened to make Kurt strictly supporting without even the pretense of being a lead anymore by season 6. And not supporting like in season 1, because I watched that recently, and Kurt was quite prominent. Ah, those were the days...

Kurt has always been a tricky character, as in he never was a flat out lead character like Rachel or Finn or even Will in Season one. However he got sporadic focus even up through Season 3, including some POV storylines. He never was clearly minor supporting the way Artie, Tina and Mercedes were.

The irony was that once he got critical acclaim, ie Emmy nominations and a Golden Globe win, the show substantially reduced the spotlight on the character.

Even now the writer seem puzzled how to write for him, Chris himself has ( sort of) complained that Ryan Has told him Kurt needs to take the high road, which I'm guessing drives Chris bat shit crazy. He seemed flabbergasted that Kurt couldn't turn loose on Sebastian, for example, after the slushying incident.

The irony was that once he got critical acclaim, ie Emmy nominations and a Golden Globe win, the show substantially reduced the spotlight on the character.

Kurt got  a storyline that help  a bunch in this achievement of course they need a very capable actor like Chris to pull it off but  once that storyline was over they had nothing else.

Matt Morrison was nominated and sideline in season 2.  Jane Lynch was even sideline a bit even though they gave her a emmy bait episode. . Rachel's big story in season two was pining for Finn that is award winning stuff.   Dot Marie Jone after the 3rd emmy nom didn't even get all the episodes she was contracted for.

Edited by tom87

Kurt got  a storyline that help  a bunch in this achievement of course they need a very capable actor like Chris to pull it off but  once that storyline was over they had nothing else.

Matt Morrison was nominated and sideline in season 2.  Jane Lynch was even sideline a bit even though they gave her a emmy bait episode. . Rachel's big story in season two was pining for Finn that is award winning stuff.   Dot Marie Jone after the 3rd emmy nom didn't even get all the episodes she was contracted for.

What does it tell you that the writers couldn't write any thing interesting or fresh for their most critically lauded actors?   Compare that to other shows where the actors who are nomination fodder get nods year after year.

The funny thing is Rachel didn't lose her leading lady status, and Jane's role has remained about the same.  It was Chris and Matt Morrison that saw their screentime and storylines reduced among the regulars. 

• Love 1

What does it tell you that the writers couldn't write any thing interesting or fresh for their most critically lauded actors?   Compare that to other shows where the actors who are nomination fodder get nods year after year.

The funny thing is Rachel didn't lose her leading lady status, and Jane's role has remained about the same.  It was Chris and Matt Morrison that saw their screentime and storylines reduced among the regulars. 

Season 4 would disagree with you.  :)

Season 4 would disagree with you.  :)

LOL...true, but that was the great "Noobs are going to be the new stars of Glee"  Ryan Murphy epiphany season.  :)

I do think that Ryan thinks that Kurt is such an iconic character they can starve his character of screentime and he will remain popular, and the crazy thing is that he's probably right.

LOL...true, but that was the great "Noobs are going to be the new stars of Glee"  Ryan Murphy epiphany season.  :)

I do think that Ryan thinks that Kurt is such an iconic character they can starve his character of screentime and he will remain popular, and the crazy thing is that he's probably right.

They may even think they are giving Kurt ample screen time.  I think they probably think they can have Rachel and Blaine regress as long as they give them songs they will still be popular.   

I think that little by little Ryan just ran out of ideas for the characters. He hasn't known what to do with Will since the first half of season 1, and I think he lost his way with Kurt after the bullying story line in season 2. Sue became a caricature around that time as well.

Chris is one of the few actors on the show (along with Lea and Matt) who can really transcend poor writing, crap storylines and lack of screen focus. So not totally surprised that even when he's shoved into a background role (like what happened so often in season four) that he still stands out in a positive way. I'm sure that it's no end of frustration to Ryan Murphy that despite lavishing so much attention on Darren, Chord and the noobs that it's earned little real critical regard and nothing in the way of award wins. I don't consider the PCAs a really serious award, but it's still a mark that the show runners have been betting on the wrong horses for quite some time.

Oh well... their loss.

Edited by Hana Chan

I just don't understand why they need to link the Kurt  to Blaine.   IF the Blaine character is truly a genuine lead character he should survive independent of Kurt for his happy ending.

It's not as if the Kurt character needs to get married to have a satisfying concluding arc on Glee, not even being with someone as long as the show depicts him as succeeding in his career.

Sot it's disconcerting they hook him up with a another character who is supposedly the big  lead yet who needs to marry Kurt to complete his storyline arc.  

It's disconcerting that Kurt was the main character who had a character specifically created just to hook up with him and he wound up playing second fiddle to him, despite no proof IMO that his character is worthy of the lead male role. But oh well. Both characters have suffered from needing to be romantically linked.

• Love 1

It's disconcerting that Kurt was the main character who had a character specifically created just to hook up with him and he wound up playing second fiddle to him, despite no proof IMO that his character is worthy of the lead male role. But oh well. Both characters have suffered from needing to be romantically linked.

Why I just can't get into shipping.

Which is why I think all the Klainers don't "get" Chris Colfer and his so called perceived "hatred " of Klaine according to a lot of them. I think it's more Chris is invested in Kurt as an Individual character , so as long as the pairing let Kurt develop he's good, but I'm sure more and more it was frustrating for him to have these new fans see Kurt as nothing more than endgame pairing appendage. Kurt was a successful breakout character before he was paired with anyone. IMO If it was the characters Adam or Elliot Chris would probably feel the same way about being " shipped" as just part of a package.

It was different with Rachel and Finn , they were telegraphed as the main romantic pairing linked to each other from the pilot episode onward.

To have Kurt reduced to his "happily ever after " being just a romantic clinch to Blaine runs against everything Chris has publicly said he wants Kurt's story to conclude with. He's said he wants Kurt to be happy with himself. He thinks having him married young sends the wrong message to young kids, etc. etc. It has to be doubly difficult for Chris because he is a published author and screenwriter so I'm sure he rewrites every shitty scenario in his head that he has to act out. From interviews back in 2009, Chris seemed to have been one of the actors who had carefully carved out the persona of His character (Kurt) before a single scene was shot.

Edited by caracas1914

The director of the Noel Coward biopic tweeted the first song spoiler for the film - Forbidden Fruit. It's a great song with a lot of nuances about the attractions for men (and certainly the queer underpinnings of the song can't be missed). I couldn't find a link for Mr. Coward singing it himself, but there is video of his nephew, Daniel Massey, performing it as Coward in the film Star.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXrsCcREwuY

I'm excited to see Chris taking on this part and to see how he's going to perform these songs because Coward had such a distinctive style as a performer. It's a difficult balancing act of trying to copy Coward's style while still infusing Chris's own element into it. Whenever I get disappointed about anything happening with Glee, I just think that in a couple of months Chris will be in England doing what may end up being a career-changing project.

• Love 1

Chris won the People's Choice for Favorite TV Comedic Actor for the third year in a row. The award wasn't televised but all the winners were posted on the award website and he posted a video of him celebrating with his cat and dog on Instgram. Congrats to him.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 6

I have to admit to not liking Kurt since that time he tried to set his dad up with Finn's mom just for an excuse to hang out and lust over Finn. It was creepy and weird.

That said I really do wish Rachel would stop disparaging him every time a female friend shows up. She seems super dismissive of him whenever there's another option. I really do wish Kurt would dump Rachel and Blaine and move on with his life and find friends that actually appreciate him and treat him with actual respect.

Sometimes it just seems like Kurt is everyone's emotional support and punching bag and he's supposed to be around to serve as either while remaining morally upright. It's dull and tedious. I would have appreciated Kurt saying anything at all in response to Santana even if it was something simple "Are we done now?" or "That was pathetic" and walked off unaffected. Kurt (the character) seems to lack any emotional resonance simply because nothing is allowed to stick for more than ten minutes. He dumped Blaine because they just don't work living together and now he wants him back ignoring the many times they broke up for similar reasons.

I think I really stopped liking Kurt for the most part in season 5. There were other moments I found him infuriating before (the main one that will always come to mind is when he was so dismissive of Quinn in On My Way), but by the time he said yes to Blaine's marriage proposal, even though no rational human being would agree to marriage (or propose) after being back together for 10 minutes. At that point, his purpose on this show became mainly about being half of a ship, and because I don't find that relationship engaging, I don't find him engaging anymore (Chris has done good performances so don't come at me Chris fans, but he can't overcome the writing and what it does to him). I'm mildly hopeful that 

after he and Blaine get married in episode 8

he'll get to do something else. But that hope is very mild.

The irony is that while Blaine stans have always complained that Blaine has never been used as much more than a prop for Kurt (as far as individual development). at this point Kurt as a character is nothing more than a prop for the "RELATIONSHIP Klaine.  

It's a real crime that Kurt (along with pretty much every other character not named Rachel Berry) is getting no storylines this season outside of his "endgame" relationship conclusion. It's not as if Kurt isn't excelling at his conservatory (ironically where both Rachel and Blaine - the two more conventionally acceptable performers washed out of) and doesn't have his own career aspirations. No, we're going to get to see exist as nothing more than the lesser half of Klaine. We will never see Kurt taking steps forward in his own career, at least not on screen. He'll spend the season mooning over Blaine and helping to shove Rachel to success.

But at least the writers aren't destroying Kurt's professional potential (yet) so I can be comforted with the knowledge that Kurt will achieve his professional aspirations off screen. With the way this show has gone to the dogs, I suppose that's the best I can hope for.

(edited)

Yes, I thought even these shitty writers wouldn't dare not show on screen *some* career progress/fulfillment for Kurt after 6 years of his resilency/struggles but it seems clear its not going to happen in Season 6.

By *some* i don't mean a Rachel Berry level of Broadway superstardom but just a SL that indicates he's still on the path to career goals. An off Broadway role, a succesful NYADA production, fuck, ANYTHING at this point.

Even simply a solo for Kurt this year now seems like an impossible pipe dream.

Edited by caracas1914

Even simply a solo for Kurt this year now seems like an impossible pipe dream.

Yes, it does. But new characters get solos and other characters get multiple solos (and groups full of "characters" no one knows or cares about getting lots of songs), but whatever. At least Kurt is still in school and they didn't completely ignore his advanced education like they did his Vogue internship. Why he would supposedly just walk away from that instead of make connections and have any kind of an edge from the experience is annoying. Then his NYADA education apparently doesn't mean much either as a show choir co-director. He should've kept his plans to work at a retirement home...and be far away from Blaine. His friends could still slight him from afar... Edited by indeed

Pairing Kurt with Rachel from Season 3 onwards has been both good and bad for the character. Good in terms of actually getting to see some of Kurt in NYADA. Bad in terms of using him as a Rachel prop in the NY arc, and now treating him as just a window-dressing for Rachel's Glee Club story. 

• Love 1