Type keyword(s) to search

Chris Colfer/Kurt Hummel

(edited)

You may be right, per the timing of that movie's start of production vis-a-vis Glee's, though Chris could squeeze in an appearance in the first couple of Glee episodes; but yeah now that I think about it, even front loading and back ending his Glee shooting days Chris could be gone for 3-4 episodes minimum.

Edited by caracas1914

I would be cool with Chris missing as many episodes as he can manage. At this stage in the Glee game, the less Kurt is around to be written for, the less damage the writers can do to him.

(edited)

Actully now if glee starts filming in August as usual and has a shorten season it could mean more Chris since they are not airing epsidoes unitl Jan or Feb 2015.

They can easily go back and do scenes later when Chris is availalbe casue they do not have  the time crunch to deliver a show every week.

Edited by tom87

Kurt didn't appear in a few season 4 episodes, and for no reason like a movie role. I think they can easily cover his absence while not making it look like Kurt's missing or anything. He may be absent from some group numbers or just songs in general for a while, but it's not like they give him a lot of songs, so it probably wouldn't be glaringly obviously. And, yes, they could always shoot his scenes early or insert his scenes later since they work on multiple episodes at a time and right up until they air. At least there will be a good reason if Glee is Kurt-lite for a while, unlike at other times.

(edited)

^True, at least it's Chris' choice to be Glee-lite in his schedule for a while this time.

Wanna bet they'll explain Kurt's absence by having him filming a movie in Great Brittain?

It only takes one episode for a wedding! ::ducks::

Take that back!!!

But you're right. Gasping-for-its-last-breath Glee will refuse to die untill Ryan and the Klainers have had their precious gay wedding and Rachel wins an Emmy or Oscar (as a Tony seems unlikely now).

If ever the term "shotgun wedding" could apply to 2 gay males getting married it would be the Klaine one. The need for the shotgun being it getting held to Chris' head as he has to come back to film that bloody gay wedding of an unhealthy not-functioning couple, so hopefully Glee gets at least above an 0.5 /1million rating if/when the show returns.

Edited by Glorfindel

Thankfully Kurt is too important a character to just be absent for an extended period without having some sort of explaination. Taking a cue from Chris's current career would give a plausable reason for him being away, as well as satisfying the Kurt fans who have been frustrated at the show's refusal to allow Kurt to have some real professional successes.

They could say he's accompanying Isabelle on a fashion tour through Europe for Vogue. The 'Previously on Glee' can say "Remember that Vogue internship Kurt had? No, seriously, remember?" Then viewers will be like, "Oh, yeah, that." Blaine can refer to just Skype-ing or talking on the phone with Kurt as he walks into a scene. Piece of cake.

(edited)

Hell, I'd be fine if they film some of Glee in London for Chris.

Eh, with the budget now slashed that's never gonna happen.

Kurt studies abroad for a semester.  Just give Chris a hand held camera and he can write his own scripts detailing Kurt's journey in Europe and sends them to his freinds. 

Hell they love meta so much Kurt can be touring the haunts of Noel Coward.

Would that really sursprise anyone???  :(

Edited by tom87

Kurt studies abroad for a semester.  Just give Chris a hand held camera and he can write his own scripts detailing Kurt's journey in Europe and sends them to his freinds.

Oooh, I'd love that.

Hell they love meta so much Kurt can be touring the haunts of Noel Coward.

Kurt even said in 'The First Time' that one of the things on his bucket list was laying roses on Noel Coward's grave.

• Love 1

The Land of Stories: A Grimm Warning Book Tour

This July, come meet Chris Colfer and celebrate the release of The Land of Stories: A Grimm Warning. See dates and locations below where Chris will be signing copies of his best-selling series.

July 8: 7:30pm
    Barnes & Noble, Union Square
    New York, NY

July 9: 6:00pm
    Watchung Booksellers
    Montclair, NJ

July 10: 4:00pm
    Barnes & Noble
    Burlington, MA

July 11: 7:00pm
    Anderson’s Bookshop
    Naperville, IL

July 12: 12:00noon
    Barnes & Noble
    Skokie, IL

July 13: 11:00am
    Books & Books
    Coral Gables, FL

July 13: 7:00pm
    Little Shop of Stories
    Decatur, GA

July 14
    Washington, DC
    details to come

July 15: 7:00pm
    St. Louis County Library
    St. Louis, MO

July 16: 7:00pm
    Red Balloon Bookshop
    St. Paul, MN

July 17: 4:00pm
    Powell’s, Cedar Hills Crossing
    Beaverton, OR

July 19: 2:00pm
    Barnes & Noble, The Grove
    Los Angeles, CA

(edited)

That Noel Coward biopic movie works out very well for Chris i.e. almost flawless timing. Part of it was of course luck, but part of it was how Chris prioritized time off from Glee for something he IMO wanted badly.

Having previously given leeway to Lea, Jayma, Darren, Cory, Jane, Naya, Dianna, Kevin and Matt among others for non Glee related projects during production, Glee couldn't very well deny Chris a well in advance (I'm assuming based on previous summer comments ) request to finally have time off to do a movie. He's practically the only lead who has not had time off for a project like this.

It is unusual to do this early in the season. IIRC Cory delaying his filming in fall 2012 because he had 2 Indie movies he was shooting back to back in Canada is the only other example, but back then it was easier when you had a cast of thousands. Getting the OK from the show before the final episode order was known worked out for Chris.

No one can accuse him of bailing ship since he was planning this for so long and LBR, Chris avoids having to anchor a lame duck show at this point by having what most likely be cameo or prop appearances while still being tied up from doing other things. If it takes 4-6 weeks to film this Noel Coward movie, so be it.. Chris worked and mapped it out and it furthers his career planning in the middle of the last Glee season.

Well played, Mr. Colfer, well played!!

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1
(edited)

IIRC She did the horror movie "Home" back in November 2012, and while she didn't take off 3-4 weeks, it was obvious she had to take some days off during the filming.

Like Cory Monteith's hiatus, I suspect it suited Glee OK since they were under-utilizing her character at the time, never the less, she was working on an outside project while Glee was in production so she obviously got the green light.

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

That Noel Coward biopic movie works out very well for Chris i.e. almost flawless timing. Part of it was of course luck, but part of it was how Chris prioritized time off from Glee for something he IMO wanted badly.

Having previously given leeway to Lea, Jayma, Darren, Cory, Jane, Naya, Dianna, Kevin and Matt among others for non Glee related projects during production, Glee couldn't very well deny Chris a well in advance (I'm assuming based on previous summer comments ) request to finally have time off to do a movie. He's practically the only lead who has not had time off for a project like this.

It is unusual to do this early in the season. IIRC Cory delaying his filming in fall 2012 because he had 2 Indie movies he was shooting back to back in Canada is the only other example, but back then it was easier when you had a cast of thousands. Getting the OK from the show before the final episode order was known worked out for Chris.

No one can accuse him of bailing ship since he was planning this for so long and LBR, Chris avoids having to anchor a lame duck show at this point by having what most likely be cameo or prop appearances while still being tied up from doing other things. If it takes 4-6 weeks to film this Noel Coward movie, so be it.. Chris worked and mapped it out and it furthers his career planning in the middle of the last Glee season.

Well played, Mr. Colfer, well played!!

I assume last summer he didn't know exactly when the biopic was going to shoot although  they probably had a rough plan. I don't think Chris wasn't picking up other projects in the meantime just because of his Glee schedule. In the runup to S4 he was talking about writing the script and then planning to shoot his asylum movie in the winter of 2013 if I remember correctly, so I assume that was part of the reason behind his lighter S4 schedule, a bit of advance planning (not that this is any excuse for how his screen time was actually utilized by the show) - but that movie has been stalled for, I assume, financial reasons. I think that until recently he prioritized his own authored projects, including his movies, and seems like he wasn't presented with an offer he couldn't refuse apart from the biopic. I hope now he's very open to outside offers that appeal to him.

Edited by fakeempress
(edited)

I've yet to see anything stated, confirmed or even implied by either Chris or the show runners that Chris specifically requested and was granted a lighter schedule for Season 4.

If anything, several interviews during that season Chis mentioned he missed performing more on the show. Lea even mentioned that she started her album during Season 4 filming precisely because she had more down time than she originally anticipated.

As to this coming season (6), like I mentioned some of the timing was just luck, but still Chris obviously had to get a green light ahead to time to fly off to do a movie in England sometime in the middle of Glee resuming production.

Subsequently Glee has become a mid season show with who knows how many final order number of episodes, so Chris getting that OK when he did was crucial in hindsight.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

My main point was that there is nothing to suggest that should Chris have needed to take time off Glee for a bit to shoot another movie before this biopic, he wouldn't have been able to. In the summer or fall of 2012, he talked about shooting the asylum movie "this winter or next" but he made it sound like it was going to happen quite soon, and that there was a director lined up. There was no suggestion that he needed to plan it for his time off Glee at all. 

(edited)

Planning the Asylum movie for "this winter or next" might have been timed with Glee's December break in shooting, which can run 2-3 weeks from past history. I don't think that would have been a coincidence. Since he would be a producer on that movie and had a supporting role (as opposed to the lead ala in "SBL") my guess is he was trying due to that flexibility to work it in to least impact his Glee schedule. IIRC he shot "Struck by Lightning" in the insane 21 day schedule he had between the end of the Glee tour and the start of Season 3 filming.

But yeah, the financing never seemed to come through.

Be that as it may, I agree this "Noel" movie seems to be the first time that Chris was willing to request time off for Glee for an outside project. The fact that it was the "first" time I would think factored in granting his request. He is going to be out of country so it wasn't as if he would be available at all for some Glee shooting (as was the case for Lea, Darren and Kevin who worked concurrently on Glee/outside projects)

All I'm saying was if the show knew ahead of time they were going to have a less than 22 episode order they might have hesitated in allowing Chris to take off for 4-6 weeks in another continent near the start of shooting S6.

Or maybe not. <Shrug>

Edited by caracas1914

It's curious that this past season Glee has allowed Kurt the character to really bitch at Blaine. Flinging lunch bags, kicking his ass in combat class, calling him psycho and shouting him down for his puppet master insanity, it seems the only character Kurt is allowed bitchy comebacks with these days is his fiance.

There has to be a message there somewhere.

• Love 1

I'm curious if the shortened Glee episode order would allow Chris to pen another episode. Ryan said he was open to Chris writing again. If RIB gave him the specific parameters of advancing certain SL's with the characters I don't think it would be that big a deal to have Chris get another shot. He certainly seemed to have a good enough handle on the characterizations of Rachel, Kurt, Santana and especially Sam and Mercedes the first time around.

Wait, that would mean they had the season planned out ahead of time with narrative coherence a must.

Never mind.

Chris continues his efforts to be the most adorable person on the planet. He went to a book signing in LA to meet Hillary Clinton and waited on line for his turn with everyone else. There is something really sweet about someone who is as well known as Chris who gets all giddy over meeting someone that he admires. And Hillary seemed pretty pleased to see him too.

tumblr_n7fqkwNBh11tes0v4o1_500.jpg

(edited)

Wow.  So either they are going to break Blaine and Kurt up or just have Kurt off screen all season while Blaine hangs in Lima.  Either way RM no longer gets to make a statement about gay marriage using Kurt & Blaine.

As far as personal reasons - my guess is they are cutting the budget deeply and one of the higher paid actors had to go.  The means Lea, Jane, Matt, or Chris.  There is no way Lea or Jane were on the chopping block.  That left Matt or Chris.  Frankly I would have thought Matt would be the expendable one mainly because he surely has a higher salary.  That leads me to believe the deciding factor on who went was Chris Colfer's Noel shooting schedule.  There was simply no way to work that out with Glee.  

One thing is clear - this wasn't his choice but the show's.  The "let go" language leaves no room for any doubt on that.  I do wish he had said something different than personal issues because it makes it be construed as something going on in his life and, given how grounded he seems, I  doubt that is true

Edited by camussie

"I have been let go"...

That is going to make his book tour and interviews a real interesting QA time...

Jimmy Fallon can't come quickly enough....

My speculative  guess is that due to the change in status with Glee's shortened season and episode order, RIB asked/requested  Chris to  cancel his "Noel" shooting schedule in order to accomodate Glee's final run.

He refused to and that's that.

Personal doesn't sound like money though, sounds something regarding him. Actors and shows don't work out deals all the time, it's not personal reasons for it, it's budget or unable to make a deal.

(edited)

There's never been any indication whatsoever that Chris is a substance abuser.

If he were to announce something along those lines, it would be wholly without precedence in his case. He's never been a cause for concern outside of being an insane workaholic. Now, that I can understand might be possible 'personal reasons.'

Edited by heyerchick

Oh, I read it as he has personal issues with how crappy the show has become.

Frankly, I'm not surprised.  I said months ago that Chris/Kurt's presence in S6 would be either greatly minimized or absent altogether.  On to bigger and better things!

(edited)
My speculative  guess is that due to the change in status with Glee's shortened season and episode order, RIB asked/requested  Chris to  cancel his "Noel" shooting schedule in order to accommodate Glee's final run.

He refused to and that's that.

I am leaning this way too.  Well this in combo with someone had to go because of budget and it wasn't going to be Lea or Jane so that left Matt & Chris.  The deciding factor would have been the Noel shoot.  Still "personal reasons" makes it sound a bit more ominous than that but that could just be bad wording.  

I also think he has known for a while hence the Jimmy Fallon interview.  Also this was a news dump if there ever was one.  Mid afternoon on July 3 - a time when many have just plain checked out for the holiday.  

Edited by camussie
(edited)

I just think that Glee's shortened season and the open ended starting date for "Noel" just was not going to work out.   Chris made a decision that was future career oriented and due to that decision Glee decided to "let him go".

This speculation of course can be blown out of the water at any moment.

Edited by caracas1914

Then he could have easily said "due to scheduling conflicts."

He makes it sound like it's something severe, he's sick, someone is sick. If it is something that isn't "personal" and is just work related whether salary or scheduling then he just over reacted with that statement and was over dramatic. 

(edited)

I do hope that his commitment to "Noel" is the reason behind his leaving Glee and if so, I can only be happy for Chris's sake, and for my own as a loving Kurt fan. There's fuck-all they can do to him now, and I won't ever have the horror of a big gay Klaine wedding statement to contend with.

The media is pouncing.

EW: Chris Colfer says he's leaving 'Glee'

Glee‘s upcoming sixth season will be its last, but the show has apparently already lost one of its main characters. Chris Colfer just announced on Twitter that he will not be returning for Glee’s final act. The actor has played Kurt Hummel since day one: The role earned him two Emmy nominations and a Golden Globe, and Kurt arguably grew to be the most iconic character on the show, outpacing even Jane Lynch’s Sue Sylvester for pure cultural impact.

Edited by heyerchick
  • Love 1

Wow, I'm almost as surprised by this as I would have been by Glee letting Lea go. This is definitely not going to help the final season's ratings.

Hope everything's okay with Chris. Right now I'm assuming it's career-related rather than anything bad, but I hope we hear more soon.

(edited)

I do hope that his commitment to "Noel" is the reason behind his leaving Glee and if so, I can only be happy for Chris's sake, and for my own as a loving Kurt fan. There's fuck-all they can do to him now, and I won't ever have the horror of a big gay Klaine wedding statement to contend with.

The media is pouncing.

EW: Chris Colfer says he's leaving 'Glee'

I'm not a Kurt stan, by any stretch of the imagination, but my initial gut reaction was "good. At least they can't massacre his character further." With the personal reasons aspect too, the gossip will be high and it'll all come out eventually, even with the PR spin but no more Klaine! No more Kurt propping Blaine. No more Kurt propping Rachel. Good luck, Glee! You're gonna to need it.

ETA: hacked? Yeah, okay then.  

Edited by carefree
(edited)

The only other thing I could see it being is something to do with his sister (who has severe epilepsy) but the fact that he is scheduled for a book tour this next month tells me it isn't his health or the health of someone related to him.  If it was either I would think the book tour would be cancelled since that would take him away from Southern California where his family lives.  

ETA - Wow a hack.  That makes more sense than him leaving for personal reasons which seemed like strange wording 

Edited by camussie

A hack that just posted that and that alone? Not sure if I'm quick to believe this as not a stunt. Especially considering how a train wreck Glee is behind the scenes.

• Love 1

The fact that the media pounced on this like a rabid rat on a chunk of cheese is nothing short of hysterical. Let's be honest here... after Lea, Chris is the one indispensable member of the cast. There is no way short of a gun to their heads that FOX or RIB would let Chris go at this stage.

Not that I wasn't feeling a few seconds of breathless delight at the thought of Chris being free of this trainwreak.

• Love 1