Type keyword(s) to search

Chris Colfer/Kurt Hummel

(edited)

I love Chris's reaction shots at Kurt, now.   The character  has a continuous slow fuse with Rachel, a building exasperation with Blaine, and a warm and intimate friendship with Elliot (to the point he can complain about how he feels about his boyfriend).

The bits of comedy, especially Kurt's sense of frustration in the MIME class was hilarious.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Chris is my absolute favorite on this show because of his reactions. He can convey more with just his facial expressions than many people can with an entire monologue. Sometimes, I just pay attention to him in the background because his reactions are more entertaining than whatever the scene is supposed to be focused on.

That mime class was amazing. Every episode should include a scene with Kurt in that class. Absolutely priceless.

Same here. If it wasn't for Chris Colfer I would have said goodbye to Glee a long time ago. I love his acting, his singing, and even his signature funny shimmy dance. His reactions in the background have brightened up many a boring scene. I remember how much I missed Kurt's wtf faces in the choir room while he was at Dalton: ND just wasn't the same anymore without him.

Chris is one of the few actors on Glee who managed to hold a grip on who his character is and keep Kurt relatable despite the all over the map writing and characters assasination that the writers did over the seasons.

I agree that they should have a NYADA mime class scene featuring Kurt front and center every episode. The way he let that flower 'die' at the precise right moment was comic gold. Besides: he looks great in black.

• Love 1

Chris' acting on Tuesday's episode was really, really great. Chris is one of these actors that always let me know in less than a millisecond the exact state of mind his character is in. I can always distinguish when he is pissed, merely anoyed, contemptuous, hurt, sad, happy, fake happy... The last episode was a great display of this, and yes to the dying flower in the mime class :)

• Love 1

Just wanted to reply to a comment in the spoiler thread, that Chris is the inferior performer because it's Darren Criss who's been on Broadway. Chris hasn't been on Broadway, not because of lack of talent or lack of opportunity. He has had multiple offers. But he has turned them down because of his other commitments. 

Thrilled Chris is appearing in a role in a show that I believe to be *good* :)

• Love 1
Chris hasn't been on Broadway, not because of lack of talent or lack of opportunity. He has had multiple offers. But he has turned them down because of his other commitments.

I think it's hilarious that the first three years of Glee Chris had literally no time off (well there was those 2-3 weeks  he had to film his scripted movie) , has written (now) three books and suddenly it's proof he's not wanted by producers of film/TV or Broadway. 

His  Glee commitment ends approximately at most one year from now, so all bets are off what opportunities are actually available for him. .

• Love 2

Sorry but some Darren stans with his 3 week Bway gig  are just too much.   I knew it was bad with Chris before but after the Bway babies thing and them having the gall to put his bway gig on par with Lea's bway history was over the top crazy.

Before all is said and done I think Chris will have his time on Bway maybe in a musical and a straight play pr two (if he desires).

(edited)

Well since his time is fully committed now, the window of opportunity is closing on emphatically stating  how Chris won't get any offers, and won't get another shot at TV, stage, movies, etc.    The panic is setting in because there is only 12 months left to milk that chestnut.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3

Before all is said and done I think Chris will have his time on Bway maybe in a musical and a straight play pr two (if he desires).

As much as I love Chris's singing (and I think that he could handle pretty much any role for a young man in the tenor range without any difficulty), I would rather see him do a non-musical show. Either a straight play or a comedy, but something where he can really show of his acting chops. I find that sometimes with musicals the need to play up the songs can mask what the actors are really capable of ad are too stylized to really allow the more subtle nuances that an actor like Chris is capable of.

Of course, if he does do a musical, I have my wish list and since I live in close proximity to NYC, I'd be there in a heartbeat to see him perform.

Either a straight play or a comedy, but something where he can really show of his acting chops.

I would love to see him to do some real comedies.  He could do the same type of characters that Tony Randall did with ease.  He'd be great in The Odd Couple.

Nice effort, CC! Cute episode. I hope he gets another chance to write next season and feels more comfortable so he can take a few more risks than he may have been willing to do here.

And seriously, is it "Old Dog, New Tricks" or "Old Dogs, New Tricks"?? 'Cause I've seen it both ways--even from the writer himself!

I really enjoyed the episode. For a first try at episode tv, I think it was more than fine.

And let's face it, he is young and still in the gotta make every body happy to be popular thinking, and I have seen him mention that he wanted to make sure that everyone was ok with what was written.

If he continues to write and flex his muscles, he will get to the point where he doesn't care and will write like he was meant to.

He is a dang good singer (his range!), and pretty decent actor, but I think his true essence is in writing. His movies was a surprise for me, so well done.

If you are reading this Chris, keep up the good work!

(edited)

I think he has a good handle on writing comedy, dramedy, and character. It's when he gets to the message beats, he gets preachy and heavy-handed. I thought the same about his movie. If he can work in more subtlety and complexity, and avoid cliches, he'll be excellent. 

I'd hate to lose him entirely for the screen, though. In his movie role he showed that he can give a different character their own physicality and presence which is not too shabby.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 2
(edited)

Yea, say what you will about the character Carson in " Struck by Lightning", the physicality, speech pattern and persona were 180 from the Kurt Hummel of Glee.

Chris created two distinct , dissimilar people , most likely deliberately so.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 2
(edited)

So a book coming out in July with accompanying tour, an appearance in "Hot in Cleveland" in August, and "Robo Dog" coming out next year plus one or two more movie projects lined up.

Interesting to note that from another interview his "Asylum" movie is still being tossed around for production, though he said that will likely happen when he's completely off Glee. Which could be as soon as December of this year.

It doesn't look like a Glee half season order harms Chris, if anything it "frees" him up for the stuff he's apparently lining up to happen quicker.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

I for one am thrilled Chris has finally ended his self-imposed moratorium on accepting outside roles. He's a canny lad, looking to build a long-term sustainable career so this is a good time for him to be widening his portfolio. 

• Love 1

Fuck, Chris just landed a doozy of a role:

http://www.screendaily.com/news/glees-colfer-joins-noel-coward-biopic/5071684.article?referrer=RSS

"Glee star Chris Colfer is attached to lead cast in Noel (working title), the Noel Coward biopic scripted by Bent and Mrs Henderson Presents writer Martin Sherman.

Sir Ian McKellen, Vanessa Redgrave and Jonathan Pryce are in talks to join the cast of the feature, which portrays the early life and influences of the famously flamboyant British playwright, producer and wit who penned classics including Private Lives and Blithe Spirit and who worked on films including Brief Encounter and In Which We Serve, for which he was Oscar-nominated."

• Love 4

OH. MY. GOD. Ian Mckellen, Vanessa Redgrave, and Jonathon Pryce! A Noel Coward biopic! Films like this get serious critical attention; Oscar-type attention. Remember Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Capote? This kind of role can catapult an actor on to the A list.

• Love 1

I for one am thrilled Chris has finally ended his self-imposed moratorium on accepting outside roles. He's a canny lad, looking to build a long-term sustainable career so this is a good time for him to be widening his portfolio. 

He mentioned a biopic(now we know what it is) he's attached to last summer, so if there was a moratorium (I'm not sure, I think he just wanted to do SBL first really badly, and threw his efforts there) it must have ended by then. 

As for the project, it's quite impressive, and I'm thrilled for him. 

Such a good day to be a Chris stan :) This is exactly the sort of meaty, prestige project role for Chris I've been hoping and praying for. He hasn't had good material to work with on Glee for such a long time. As a true fan of his craft, I could not be more thrilled he has a role that is really going to stretch him.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hypable: ‘Glee’s’ Chris Colfer to star in Noel Coward biopic (extract)

Colfer – who was cast in Glee as an unknown 18 year old – hasn’t chosen to pursue many “extracurricular” acting jobs in the five years since Glee’s premiere, preferring to work on his own projects as a writer. 

Aside from a couple of quick voice-over parts, Chris Colfer hasn’t appeared on screen in a fictional role aside from as Kurt and as Carson – his own Struck By Lightning creation. It’s unlikely that this is down to a lack of offers – he won a Golden Globe in 2011 for portraying Kurt, he’s received several Emmy nominations, and he’s lauded as one of Hollywood’s brightest young stars. With the finishing line of Glee in sight, it’s possible that Colfer is now looking ahead to what life after Glee has to offer, or it could simply be that, out of all the offers that must come his way, he finally found a project that spoke to him. 

Coward – both the man himself, who died in 1973, and his many works – are quintessentially English, a staple of the history of London theatre, so it will be interesting to see Chris Colfer – a California native with an admitted obsessive love for period drama and British culture in general – take on a role which may have been more expected to go to a young British actor. Noel – which was developed by the BFI (British Film Institute) with the support of the Noel Coward Estate – aims to shoot in the late summer, so with Glee’s next season not returning until 2015, Colfer will have plenty of spare time to perfect his English accent!

4ye.co.uk: Chris Colfer To Take His Wit To The Drawing Room As He Takes On Noël Coward (extract)

Back in the Glee season 3 episode “The First Time” we discovered that Kurt Hummel’s bucket list contained “Number 63: Lay a rose on the birthplace of Noël Coward.” Now it appears that the man behind our favourite fashionista, Mr Chris Colfer, is going to one-up his alter ego and actually star as the man himself in a new biopic about the UK playwright.

The film will cover the early life and influences of the playwright, actor and producer who was well known for his flamboyance, his sharp wit and sense of style. Sounds awfully perfect for Colfer, who posted the following picture on Instagram shortly after the announcement, captioned simply, “Noël”

With his love for all things British, his quick, sharp wit and his ability to play larger than life characters, Colfer is an inspired choice for the project. However, I can imagine some outcry in the UK over an American yet again being cast as one of their national treasures.

Edited by heyerchick
  • Love 1
(edited)

That's great for him. It's interesting that it states they're shooting for late summer filming schedule when the article states that they're still only in talks with Vanessa Redgrave and Ian McKellan which would suggest they haven't signed on yet. The article above is also interesting with regards to the comment about thinking the role would go to a Brit. Because actually my second thought after reading this was I wonder how the sometimes very snooty British media will react to a role about a British legend, which will be directed by a British director and if Vanessa and Ian sign on, will have a mostly British cast, going to an American with not a lot of film work under his belt. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
However, I can imagine some outcry in the UK over an American yet again being cast as one of their national treasures.

Daniel Day-Lewis played Abraham Lincoln.  The Brits can suck it (I say with great affection).

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, it's usually OK when Brits do American parts because they're generally more successful at attempting the accents. Certainly can't say the same the other way around. I don't think they've ever quite forgiven us for Kevin Costner's Robin Hood (I know I haven't!). I can't wait to hear Chris' accent.

I would feel better about this if the "big" names were signed already, and not just in talks. Does seem weird they'd announce CC before shoring up the other cast, considering this is a major British role.

Congrats, CC! I certainly wasn't expecting this big of an announcement when I checked online this morning...

Edited by indeed

I don't think they've ever quite forgiven us for Kevin Costner's Robin Hood (I know I haven't!).

LOL...yeah and some were and still are pretty bitter about Gwyneth Paltrow in Emma.

Daniel Day-Lewis played Abraham Lincoln. The Brits can suck it (I say with great affection).

Well it's Daniel Day Lewis - multiple Academy Award nominee/winner, legendary actor. Not exactly a fair comparison.

It doesn't seem weird to me. I've seen plenty of so-and-so cast, so-and-so in talks stories break across the different entertainment sites. The announcement seemed strategically timed to break along with any press for the Glee S5 finale, and if/when those big names sign further down the line, there will be more press for the project. Seems pretty standard PR tactics to me. 

• Love 1

Eh, I don't know how much they're really benefiting from timing it with the Glee finale. Obviously, this was planned and not leaked, so it's all part of a strategy. I know other projects announce things before the ink is dry or even on the paper and there will be more press if and when Ian McKellan, etc., sign up; I just would have felt better when reading the announcement if they weren't just "in talks". Regardless, good for Chris. As much as he says he appreciates the self-esteem boost, I'm glad it wasn't another animated/voice project and is something much more juicy for him at this point in his career. He is definitely going to be one busy guy...

• Love 1
(edited)

Kevin Costner didn't even attempt an English accent.

And if Daniel Day Lewis can play Lincoln, well then Meryl Streep can play Margaret Thatcher.

Though of course, those two can play whatever fuck they want.

Edited by caracas1914

It's been a while since I've seen RH:POT, but I do believe KC does attempt something other than his natural accent in parts, but gives up and just does his own thing, which is why he gets brought up at times when discussing American actors playing British roles. It doesn't really matter since that movie was hardly written to be historically accurate anyway, but it's the go-to example.

Maybe after this, CC can get himself a guest spot on Downton Abbey (and a part in Ab Fab)! He may find himself with more time on his hands after episodes negotiation...wow.

(edited)

One thing we can be sure of is that Chris will be meticulous in his preparation for the role. He'll be researching Coward and his body of work, and I would imagine voice work will be a part of his prep: not just the English accent, but Coward's idiosyncratic clipped style of speaking.

I would like to know if this was one of those situations where the film makers had Chris in mind and approached him, or if he auditioned more traditionally. If it's the latter, then he had to have been able to convince them that he could embody Coward, voice and all.

Edited by heyerchick
  • Love 2

This is very exciting! What a big feather in Chris' cap.

After listening to his audiobooks and the many voices he invented for his characters I'm sure he'll be able to get the voice style and accent right. And he'll probably get to sing too!

Eh, I don't know how much they're really benefiting from timing it with the Glee finale. Obviously, this was planned and not leaked, so it's all part of a strategy. I know other projects announce things before the ink is dry or even on the paper and there will be more press if and when Ian McKellan, etc., sign up; I just would have felt better when reading the announcement if they weren't just "in talks". Regardless, good for Chris. As much as he says he appreciates the self-esteem boost, I'm glad it wasn't another animated/voice project and is something much more juicy for him at this point in his career. He is definitely going to be one busy guy...

A lot of things that have been happening lately, like Chris not being a focus in recent Glee promo in favor of DaleaStreet (gag) and the total lack of mention of Kurt spoilers for season six (if there is a season 6 at this point). I'm betting that Chris signed on for this project a long time ago and his team has been in active discussion with the Glee management about Chris having time to be away to work on the film. If production is set to begin at the end of the summer, that would have prevented Chris from being available for at least the first few episodes. My guess is that  with the time jump, they would have planned that Kurt was either busy working on a show or away working on a film (yay meta!) to explain his absence  or limited screen presence.

But now that season six is up in the air and there are serious questions about how many episodes we'll actually get and when Glee production might actually start, how much filming Chris might miss is an open question. If Glee isn't coming back until 2015 and the whole premise needs to be reconsidered and likely rewritten in order to accommodate a more limited season then production might be pushed back until after Chris is done with filming his movie and can be on the Glee set full time.

Regardless, it appears that this is only the first of Chris's film projects. He's clearly moved beyond Glee and if his presence on the show is more limited because he's working on outside projects and not because of RIB favoritism, then I'll be well satisfied.

• Love 3

Interesting news. Coward is a challenging role, especially the later Coward as some past attempts have demonstrated. Since this film seems to deal with his youth according to the sometimes fuzzy info in those articles (things will get more specific as they get closer to the start of shooting and their PR gets organised) we might see a portrayal of how he developed his dandy persona (his clipped delivery was from childhood and from dealing with a deaf mother).

Even if the shoot takes several weeks, Glee can arrange his shooting schedule so that they film a whole bunch of short scenes from several episodes in a marathon shooting spree whenever he is back in the U.S., as they have done in the past for other cast members. That way, Kurt can have a reduced presence without being totally absent, and some viewers won't even notice it because the character will still be around.

We don't know what was going on behind the scenes, but Noel is scheduled to start filming in late summer, which would be right around the time that they would normally start production on Glee for the fall season. I think that the odds are that Chris would not be available for at least the first two episodes (since he'd be in England filming - not exactly right around the corner). But now that we're facing the likihood of an abreviated season, it's very possible that the Glee fiming schedule might be pushed back to allow the show runners a chance to recalibrate things. It's very possible now that Chris might be available for filming if they postpone until early fall. I think that every preconception that we had about season six is out the window now and they're going to have to start from scratch.

This can really be a remarkable opportunity for Chris. Noel is a facinating person (have to give props to an entertainer who ended up on the German Black List for immediate execution if they managed to invade England) and the mannerisms and speech patterns that we associate with him are going to be a serious challenge for any actor to do convincingly. I don't expect this to be a huge money-maker in the US (since biopics are sometimes a hard sell, especially if it's not someone that the general audience are immediately familiar with) but if it gets good critical write ups, it will go a long way towards launching Chris's film career. I'm genuinely curious to know that other film projects he's got pendings because he does seem to be picking an interesting variety.

(edited)

"Late summer" are we talking Early August or late August or even the end of July? That's pretty vague.

As to Glee's shooting schedule, if they cut down from 22 episodes (as originally planned) to say, 13 episodes, they may have some leeway when to start filming, but at the same time cast and crew have bills to pay, mortgages, rent, etc, etc. So I wouldn't expect too much of a delay.

Feasibly if the movie doesn't start production until the very end of August and Glee starts shooting in the middle or end of July, Chris could be in Glee's first few episodes.

Once he starts filming in England, My guess is Chris could miss up to two full episodes regardless.

Edited by caracas1914
(edited)

Once he starts filming in England, My guess is Chris could miss up to two full episodes regardless.

I think it would be more than that. Doesn't it take 8 days to film each episode? A period piece like Noel should take 6 weeks to 2 months or longer. If Chris was only going to miss 2 episodes, I don't think they would have bothered to push DaLeaStreet. At the time, it looked to me like Chris was going to be recurring instead of a regular; but with what we know now, it seems like they were preparing for an extended period of time with little or no Kurt.

Edited by Lokiberry