Type keyword(s) to search

Agent X - General Discussion

formerlyfreedom
  • Start Topic

I'll start.  I think its an interesting premise, coming up with an explanation as to why the VP has very little "other duties."  I liked that the head-FBI daughter refused to give her dad info about the guy that rescued her and then lied about recognizing the photo they showed her of the handler instead.

I also liked the female anti-hero/villian.  I bet we'll see her again.

At least Sharon Stone's VP can get cues as to when to activate Agent X because her Pres is a former VP.  Some VPs don't have that luxury.

There's something missing from this show that I just can't put my finger on.  I really wanted to like this, but it just wasn't keeping my attention.  I think the pilot needed a bit more humor.  Also the love interest (I can't remember her name) just got on my nerves.  Although the scene with her and the cigarette was awesome. 

I like George Hearst, I mean, Gerald McRaney, as the straight man foil for Agent X's derring do.  I thought, and it's still possible, that the Russian Maria Thighsofironski would be a recurring character, but it seems that she's on the lam now.

Worst moment of the night, bar none:  VP:  "Welcome to Command".  NOOOOOOOOOO!!

I will ask, as I always do, who dusts the furniture, cleans the floor and the toilets of this super secret room that only a few people know about?  I can just see the CoS, grumbling and moping, "Why is this MY job?" all day every day.

Anyway, should be fun to watch.

ETA:  Is this what Mr. Reese did before he met Finch?  Because the actor sure looks like a younger Jim Caviezel.

Edited by Dowel Jones
  • Love 4

I thought it was fun. The tone was a bit weird to me like this ridiculous National Treasure riff with secret doors and keys and constitutions but then some of the action / torture was a little darker.

Anyway I'm up for a few more.

• Love 3

This looks like it's going to be somewhat lame fun.  However, it reminds me of "Transporter: The Series".  Vance always managed to get the upper hand and in comical ways.  The villains were always so stupid and we used to laugh and have fun with the show.  It didn't take itself too seriously.  This show almost has that same level of stupidity from the bad guys, but it hasn't managed to go over the top yet. @Dowel Jones, "Maria Thighsofironski" is a hilarious joke name for his nemesis, but you just know their banter will eventually lead them to the bed. At least I hope so,  She's great, and Sharon is till looking fine, although they do soften her image a bit when she's on screen.  They shouldn't though.  She's a good looking woman and they shouldn't "soften" her up.  FFS, she's SHARON STONE.

The bad guys always manage to wait 3-4 seconds before they even begin to shoot, regardless if they are looking at you or not. Even some of the FBI guards showed the same level of stupidity.  One agent even stared at a hospital door that was just shot up, as if wondering if those were bullet holes or not. of course he was shot while still staring at the door.

• Love 1

I thought the first 2 episodes were decent, if pretty much by-the-book as far as spy-based action shows go. I found Jeff Hephner (as John Case) to be likeable and blandly appealing, especially when he bucked the ubiquitous (for male leads on spy shows) "I'm strictly hetero" cliches. I enjoyed that there wasn't an overemphasis on ongoing sexy banter with his hot female adversary, and that they let him flirt with the two older robed gentlemen (in the elevator in the opening) and refer to Chaikin (Dmitry Chaplin) as "handsome... in a terrorist-kinda way." I doubt it'll go anywhere, but I think it's a step forward to avoid throwing in a "no homo!" moment to clearly establish his heteronormativity.

Sharon Stone, John Shea and Gerald McRaney, however, seem to be pretty underutilized in their roles so far - hopefully they'll be given more challenging material in future episodes. I'm not sure I'll be watching weekly - Sunday nights are a busy TV night here. I'm more likely to let a few episodes collect on the DVR, and then binge-watch them over the holidays when everything is in reruns.

Edited by giovannif7

ETA:  Is this what Mr. Reese did before he met Finch?  Because the actor sure looks like a younger Jim Caviezel.

Thank you.  I couldn't figure out who he reminded me of.  He sure is nice to look at.  Sharon Stone seems to have aged well even with the soft camera filters on.

I thought the first 2 episodes were decent, if pretty much by-the-book as far as spy-based action shows go. I found Jeff Hephner (as John Case) to be likeable and blandly appealing, especially when he bucked the ubiquitous (for male leads on spy shows) "I'm strictly hetero" cliches. I enjoyed that there wasn't an overemphasis on ongoing sexy banter with his hot female adversary, and that they let him flirt with the two older robed gentlemen (in the elevator in the opening) and refer to Chaikin (Dmitry Chaplin) as "handsome... in a terrorist-kinda way." I doubt it'll go anywhere, but I think it's a step forward to avoid throwing in a "no homo!" moment to clearly establish his heteronormativity.

I thought the elevator scene with the two guys was cute and it made me smile every time I watched it in the previews even before realizing where he was or who he was winking at.  There's something playful and cheeky about this character I really like.  I'm glad I didn't erase this off the PVR as I didn't realize Dmitry Chaplin was in this episode.  Changing this to, I didn't realize I needed to watch the second episode to see him.  Now I have,

I really like that the show doesn't seem to take itself seriously.  I seem to like action shows lately that are a little tongue in cheek (Strike Back anyone?).  Most of the action sequences for these shows is so unbelievable that for me it's more entertaining if I know I'm not to take them seriously.

Edited by Shades of Red

There's something missing from this show that I just can't put my finger on.  I really wanted to like this, but it just wasn't keeping my attention.  I think the pilot needed a bit more humor. 

I'm giving this a chance because of the cast, but I have to agree with you--as ridiculous as the concept is, more humor would probably be a good thing..

I think what is missing is the back up team. Many shows have taken the single hero concept but then added a Scooby Gang for him to play off against. I think The Incredible Hulk was the last time you really had a lone wolf type show out there. The ideal of a secret VP action group I can buy. But a single 00 agent who doesn't kill like Bond does, without a Q, Moneypenny the back up of the Royal Navy just Major Dad in the basement watching computer screens is a bit lacking. Even with the star power Sharon Stone got working that you normally don't see on the low budget action shows.

This a good straight forward spy show. Likable characters and believable plots,so far. Last night's episode left me wondering if Jon's ex is going to appear again, but on the dark side of things. I also so agree with John needing so others assistance to flesh out the good side roster.

I too am missing a couple people (a team) to round out the show but I'm really enjoying it so far. Well, not so much episode two but I really like John's easiness and that he sometimes gets winded and punched in the face (he's not perfect).

However, I'm not sure I believe the older guy as the tech support.

• Love 1

My main problem is just how, I don't know, bland, or sameness the actors are.  Its hard to tell some of them apart.  John is not very distinguishable in his looks, which I know may be the point, but sometimes its hard to pick him out.  He had a lot of similarities to the bad guy this week.  And the photographs the VP got, at first I thought it was the Pres in the photos, even after she looked at her husband's photograph.  I had to reverse the DVR a bit because the Pres and her husband looked similar too.

I love that John gave his phone (new number I guess) to his ex, and he was availble and close enough to find her and be able to save her.

I like the show because it doesn't take itself too seriously. There were some great touches of humor in the last episode - John's face when his ex was delighted that she could call him 'Dick'; the brawl in the Russian shop set to Tchaikovsky or the dead-pan delivery of 'Is she available for your job?' after John had to admit the ex had got the drop on him and had also taken the Mustang.

It's stuff like that that makes it easier to handwave away the far-fetched premise (obviously watching Sleepy Hollow also makes it easier - those founding fathers were a weird bunch). I do occasionally wonder why neither the Vice-President's security detail nor her staff ever wonder where the hell she disappears with Millar all the time. But all in all this is great fun and I think Jeff Hephner was right to leave Firehouse 51.

I take it the pics at the end showed the Vice-President's late husband with the ominous lady who was also at the fund-raiser?

• Love 2

She's great, and Sharon is till looking fine, although they do soften her image a bit when she's on screen.  They shouldn't though.  She's a good looking woman and they shouldn't "soften" her up.  FFS, she's SHARON STONE.

I so agree with you.  It's really distracting when they shoot a close up of her. I find myself watching her face instead of listening to her words.  I have had to rewind the DVR numerous times just in case I've missed something. 

This was done to Doris Day all the time back in the 60s & 70s. Sharon has aged rather gracefully and they don't really need the filters.  Doris didn't need them either.

Edited by HollyG
  • Love 2

I thought the same thing.  In addition, wouldn't the virus infect her also when she opened the valve and sprayed him?  I loved that antidote syringe.  Wasn't that Agent J's gun in another life from Men in Black?

Not so much credibility:  Madame Veep railing against the CIA rep for "state sponsored murder".  Lady, where have you been for the last three episodes?

Former agent X is current agent X's father? That might be pushing it a bit too hard. But looking on the bright side the show gave us the requisite Daddy issues (a staple for every brooding hero) and answered the question what happened to Dad in one fell swoop. With some luck we won't be treated to several seasons of John trying to find his father. Of course there will be some drama once he finds out the truth. Show, you're better at comedy than drama - but not in this episode, nerdy nerd was way over the top.

I'm catching up and currently watching Truth, Lies, & Consequences, when I realized the underlying plot of this series is really reminding me of Fletcher Knebel's Seven Days In May, right down to the Director of Homeland Security having the same surname (Scott) as the treasonous Chief of the JCS in the book.

I thought the same thing.  In addition, wouldn't the virus infect her also when she opened the valve and sprayed him?  I loved that antidote syringe.  Wasn't that Agent J's gun in another life from Men in Black?

Not so much credibility:  Madame Veep railing against the CIA rep for "state sponsored murder".  Lady, where have you been for the last three episodes?

I think the biggest objection, and one that all shows/movies seem to be the big Rubicon for the CIA, is the murdering of US citizens on American soil.  Legally the CIA is not supposed to operate on US soil, any actions to be taken on US soil should be handled by the FBI.

I wanted to like this.  The premise was interesting, but implausible.  The deliberate ignorance of all things Federal City, from ignoring the fact that the VP's residence has only been the VP's residence since the late 70s, to the notion that a Presidential motorcade is only three cars long, to the absurd notion that there is a massive tunnel system under DC (Library of Congress to Naval Observatory? - that's miles, and the nineteenth century canal digging as well as the twentieth century Metro excavations would have chopped it up, not to mention that DC is somewhat low and technically marshy - my last workplace in DC included massive basement computer rooms in two buildings, each with lots of signs showing the routes out and up if the buildings were to be flooded from the Potomac again) -- all these factors made it difficult to enjoy (for me), plus the lack of background extras (meaning no budget) and the over-abundance of fight scenes and then John Shea gets shot by one of his own protection detail - the Blacklist Cabal has James Spader to leaven the mix.  Sharon Stone & Gerald McRaney just aren't quite making it.  Too bad, it had the potential for reasonably good bones.

Edited by kassygreene

I like this show.  I think it's escapist fun, a lot of good action to switch my brain off for an hour.  I'm very bitter that his show is canceled.  It has a lot of flaws but I think that if it continued on for another season, a lot of these flaws could be fixed.  This show had potential.  I'm very, very, very bitter.

• Love 3

Seems unlikely I'll ever get to see Agent 2X: the Adventures of Olga and John.  It was nice that Pam got the beginnings of an actual character instead of just being a plot device, but there's no way she ever measures up to Olga.

As long as I'm wishing, let's go for the series where Olga and Charity Wakefield from The Player are cooler than everyone else in the room.

• Love 3

This whole experience was just sad. I love Gerald. I love Jeff. But damn the writing of this show was just sooooo bad. Hokey and cheesy and clunky and just bad.

"I hate him because he still sees the world in red, white and blue. I hate him because he still believes in the lie and he still believes in YOU."

Good god. And then the VP bringing in wounded vets to bolster the POTUS? It was like some after school special.  

Honestly, there was a much better show somewhere in there, it just never happened. 

Can't wait to see what's next for Gerald and Jeff. I watched week after WEAK for them, I'll watch other things for them. But I'm a little relieved this is over. 

• Love 3

Wow, the show ended on kinda of a dark note. Malcolm being driven off to be tortured for a year before being killed. The POTUS turning into a Batman villain and trying to create his own personal army.

My dream is John ditches Pamela and joins forces with Olga to rescue Malcolm. Then they all unite with the VEEP to take on the POTUS's henchmen.