Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Can't Get Used To Losing You

Poor Colt -- his daddy is teaching him how to lie for business reasons and his invisible mom is, well, invisible!  And he can't even call his bratty girlfriend!

Invisible sister too! It's been awhile since we've seen her.

Edited by Iboatedhere
  • Love 2

She's hanging out in Invisible Sister Land with Daphne.  Apparently Jeff's sister is the RA of ISL.

Will was outstanding this ep, but he was the only one.  Although Avery had a nice cry and the 2 Men and a Cadence scene was cute.

I could do with out the St Jeff pictures and The Beverly (although I always hear it in my head how it was song in the theme song for The Beverly Hillbillies...so they loaded up the truck and moved to Beverly).

I did not like Layla's song, but thought she sang it well.

• Love 5

I think the writers had a problem with how to portray Deacon once Beverly had died. Here was a man that didn't have a particularly good relationship with his sister but asked her to donate part of her liver in order for him to survive. I actually had some sympathy with Bev when she accused both Deacon and Scarlett of reaching out to her, not because they wanted to see her but because they wanted part of her liver. The guilt Deacon would feel when she died would have been tremendous. Although I give credit to Deacon for not begging Beverly to donate and it was good when he told Scarlett it was her decision and to let it go. This showed Deacon having some dignity. This can't be said of Rayna, who spent a whole day begging Beverly and even gave her a cheque for one million dollars. What about the guilt she must be feeling - something the writers haven't really addressed. But how to portray Deacon post Beverly was difficult because the writers would have been aware that fans wouldn't want a depressed, mopey Deacon, even suicidal. Hell, when I heard one of the characters would be attempting to jump off a roof, I actually thought of Deacon. To deal with the guilt of, inadvertently, killing your sister is beyond imagining. So, they came up with the bar scenario, and I actually think it's a good option given what they had to play with. Here, Deacon can use the bar to create, as he says, "a great music venue." I know people are fed up with the Bev worship considering she was hardly on the show, but they couldn't portray Deacon as going to her funeral and then the next couple of episodes he was okay and back to normal. If they had done that he would have come across as inhuman. So, I think we have to put up with Saint Bev in order to give us a relatively normal Deacon - and the good thing is we get to see Deacon being focussed and working at somethin positive, and even better we get to see him playing music which, for me, is one of the best parts of the show. As for Rayna, I think it was right that they showed her concern for him part-owning a bar, but if Deacon can discover some new talent then Rayna can profit too.

I thought this last episode was well put together, considering they had so much to deal with after Jeff's death. As usual, the songs were too short - we only got the first verse of Deacon's song - so disappointing. Loved Frankie referring to Rayna as "your old lady". The best part for me was the last R/D scene when she said, "nothing's ever gonna keep me away from you." (Sigh!) But we need more sex scenes - come on writers get them naked. A couple of final observations. Second time Rayna has had a desperate phone call (whilst with Deacon) of one of her female artists saying their lover is dead! Also, loved Layla's song. She has a nice voice just wish her acting was a bit better.

• Love 5

I am so over Juliette's story line, I wish they would get rid of her character. There is nothing at all interesting about her anymore, it's just the same crap every week & I'm over it.

I feel the exact opposite. She's literally the only character I care about on this show, and once she's gone, so am I.

• Love 6

I think the problem is that Deacon was saddled with liver cancer to begin with. If the end game is that he buys a bar and turns it into a music venue for people who aren't heard, there are MANY ways to get there besides his mean dead sister. How about he wants to do something on his own, create a business for himself? The "refuge for artists" idea is exactly why Rayna started her label. it makes perfect sense that they'd be on the same page there, and Rayna could come around because she gets that. How about, even as non-threatened by her success as he is, Deacon wants a venture that he runs? He could still work with Rayna, turning the club into a place she scouts artists, etc. Deacon running a music club is a great idea. Even having it start as a bar provides natural tension for a relationship stung by alcoholism. But the Beverly liver cancer/guilt/mopey bullshit was totally unnecessary from the start. Beverly was mean! Just keep her mean. She can be a thorn in everyone's side and that family member who causes trouble. She doesn't need to be turned into a saint with whiplash speed just so Deacon has something to do.

My favorite forty seconds last night were Rayna and Deacon having a conversation in their bed. I also enjoyed all of Will and Avery. You don't need insane melodrama to be interesting. You just need interesting people talking to one another about interesting things.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 5

I''m miffed that Jeff is gone... he and Layla were one of the few couples that I cared about. :-(

Juliette and Avery have been smashed to smithereens.

Rayna and Deacon Zzzzzzzzzzzzz about 2 years ago...

Scarlett and Gunner are equally played to death... without actually doing anything.

• Love 7

Damn you show! You managed to wring some emotion out of me (besides plot anger) this week. Avery breaking down made me choke up a bit, and him and Will singing to the baby was precious.

In other news:

Luke is back to being a bad dad - You know he's all about that image, 'bout that image

Gunner is still an idiot when it comes to women

Juliette is finally getting some help, but too late for the total character assassination

I still hate The Beverly.

Edited to add: Scarlet's hair is an improvement, even though I'm not wild about the pixie cut.

Edited by Julie23
  • Love 6

Am I the only one that finds this show hilarious? I couldn't stop laughing when Jeff fell off the roof last week. And the followup was almost as funny. I just wish he'd taken Juliette with him off the roof. That might have been twice as funny.  How long before Deacon gets drunk? This is the funniest show on tv!

• Love 1

Am I the only one that finds this show hilarious? I couldn't stop laughing when Jeff fell off the roof last week. And the followup was almost as funny. I just wish he'd taken Juliette with him off the roof. That might have been twice as funny.  How long before Deacon gets drunk? This is the funniest show on tv!

I'm with you.  He looked like he was saving a basketball from going out of bounds, when it was actually Juliette he was saving.  And who in their right mind would do it like that?  Of course, all he could see was his $$$$$$ going off the side of the building, and thus all logic was lost.

But yes, it was humorous.  I do miss him though.  Jayla was the only interesting couple on the show for me. 

• Love 3

Of all the crazy, improbable ways people have died on this show, Jeff falling off a roof while saving Juliette was the best. I was hoping they'd drag out the Juliette denial storyline a bit longer.  Seems rather unbelievable that she'd go from complete denial to complete acceptance in a period of about 10 minutes.

• Love 3

I would like to suggest a drinking game for every time Deacon utters "The Beverly." That way, one will be too hammered to be annoyed by it.

Oh, no, I won't! Were I to get infinitely hammered, I would still find it in me to be annoyed by "The Beverly." (And so could you.)

And what alcoholic with a liver transplant buys a bar as a tribute? That's like buying a pony to honor someone who got thrown off a horse and died.

Don't let Maddie hear you say that. She'll probably want a pony.

It's great seeing Will be a friend to Layla, to Avery, and tell off Gunnar. Gunnar had it coming; Will was spot-on.

I like this new truth-telling Will. His calling Gunnar on the pure Gunnar-osity of his self-designed drama was a thing of beauty. As was his gentleness with Avery and Cadence. (That girl is going to grow up adoring her doting Uncle Will, I'd bet.) Heartbreak seems to have brought out Will's compassion for others.

I don't think Rayna is lying to Deacon. I think she is genuinely trying to support him, even if she's afraid of what might happen. I think Deacon is still totally in denial -- up to and including his "surprise" for Rayna. On some level he knows he's on a fool's errand -- I'm certain of it.

And for whatever it's worth, I think Jeff's sister's reaction is totally realistic. There are people out there just like that.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 4

I don't think Rayna is lying to Deacon. I think she is genuinely trying to support him, even if she's afraid of what might happen. I think Deacon is still totally in denial -- up to and including his "surprise" for Rayna.

I don't think Rayna was lying at the end either and do think she loves him and wants to support him in any way she can. I fully believe she'll do that. But I also think that wanting to support him even though it scares her has basically been her natural state for much of their life together. I think she's lying to them both about her ability to cope with it, and I think Deacon was bizarrely clueless and a little dumb in his seeming inability to recognize why this would be a problem for Rayna. He covered her eyes like he genuinely believed she'd be thrilled? Really? REALLY?? I just don't buy that from him and think it was a poor, lazy storytelling choice.

I think his bar will succeed, though. Running a small music club is actually a perfect job for Deacon. Then again, I thought Rayna would be an ace as a label head, so...

• Love 3

Oh, no, I won't! Were I to get infinitely hammered, I would still find it in me to be annoyed by "The Beverly." (And so could you.)

Yes, I suspect that the only way I won't be annoyed by it is if I've drunk myself into unconsciousness. If I need a liver donated by an ungrateful sibling, it'll be this show's fault.

• Love 5

I am heartbroken about the end of Jayla. With Jeff dead and Layla mourning this show has run out of happy people. No one is in a good place right now. I get that dramas need drama but they also need humour to balance it out. Right. Now there is nothing.

I did love Colt for actually having morals and trying to get the truth out. Will tore into Gunnar just the way I do at my TV at least once an episode. He was also such an amazing friend to Avery and Layla. I thought Layla dealing with her grief was actually very moving.

I hated Scarlett's hair and was indifferent to her storyline.

I managed to hang on with Juliette through some of her shittiest behaviour these last few weeks but the way she treated Layla just disgusting.

• Love 8

Scarlette's doctor boyfriend was so sweet when he told her that he didn't think that she could be anymore beautiful when he saw her with her new do.

Can Deacon have Will and Avery sing a duet at his new bar. I don't mind Deacon owning a bar. He did have 14 years of not drinking before he crashed and burned when he found out that Maddie was his child. He hung out at the Bluebird for years. Is the other owner a country singer. I though that he was very good.

Layla's voice reminds me of Judy Collins who I really love but then I am an old hippie. I did feel for her.

Will was the glue that held this episode together. He turned into a decent human.

Eric Close directed this episode, so I guess he is still with the show.

Edited by Lillybee
  • Love 4

Yes, I suspect that the only way I won't be annoyed by it is if I've drunk myself into unconsciousness. If I need a liver donated by an ungrateful sibling, it'll be this show's fault.

We'll all show up at our respective AA meetings with how Nashville is to blame for our drinking problems.

I'm needing an Avery-Deacon scene real soon.

• Love 2

I didn't have the impression that Layla was supposed to have written that song since Jeff's death -- I assume it was supposed to be hers, and most likely written about her relationship with Jeff, but at some earlier point. Jeff's death only gave it a poignancy that Layla hadn't originally intended. I liked the song, and thought Aubrey Peeples' performance was lovely.

• Love 9

And speaking of That Quote:

God, it's brutal; I never get over what a good crier Jonathan Jackson is. (Unlike most guys.) But later, after he's calmed down, Avery enters his bedroom to find Will -- with guitar, even! -- singing to Cadence, and he joins in and it's all hearts and puppies and rainbows and now I want these two to be a non-carnal couple for all eternity kthanksbai. (I also realize the band trio I always wanted is Avery, Scarlett, and Will; please make that happen, show.) And THEN, Will sits and tells Avery it'll be awfully quiet with Gunnar on the road, and when Avery asks if he means he should stay, Will points out that Avery could use help with Cadence. "And I could use a friend right now." I'm not crying, you are! WAVERY 4EVA!

So much love for this. LOVE.

Honourable mention goes to the Dirges For Guitar Songbook.

• Love 5

Will Lexington is an excellent friend. He was great with Layla (unpacking the boxes was a very thoughtful thing to do), calling Gunnar out (while sitting on the couch eating ice cream out of the carton), and mostly with Avery. I loved the impromptu lullaby.

What Juliette said to Layla about forgetting/pretending the relationship had ever happened sounded like she was talking to herself as much as Layla.

• Love 7

The attention the haircut brought to Scarlett's hair made me really look at everyone's hair. Gunnar's head looks like a rooster. I never noticed it before. His cock a doodle hairdo, it bothers me.

I hate Gunnar's hair. It looks ridiculous. Scarlett's hair is very short. I understand Clare's reasons but she could've left a little length? Too Mia Farrow.

Layla's singing voice skeeves me out. I get bad chills.

• Love 2

Why did Colt (I almost typed Glen, from Mad Men, I guess) just stand there and watch while Juliet teetered on the edge?  That was another thing I found ridiculous.  I know he was hiding that he'd drank but please... there is 'lives at stake' vs. 'underage drinking consequences'.  He wasn't afraid enough of consequences to hide the stupid bottle from his dad at some point in the night.  

It looked to me that he was a floor above her.  I'm not sure why he wouldn't have shouted out for her to stop.  But I don't fault him for not running back into the building, and racing down the stairs to the floor below.  Seems like too much time would pass.

• Love 1

And if you've just seen someone getting ready to jump, but didn't, wouldn't you go check on them to see where they wandered off to?  Or call someone to check on them?

I know he couldn't reach his Daddy, but ...

• Love 3

My sister told me I would feel like an asshole after hating (to her) on Clare Bowen's haircut once she told me the reason. Me: "Well, I'm sorry she was sick, but it's still a terrible haircut."

And that line from her boyfriend was a clunker.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3

Count me as one who loves Scarlett's new haircut. I think the actress is cute with longer hair, but the cut (in my opinion) gave her beauty a little maturity. I liked it even before I found out why she'd done it in real life - and the Locks of Love mention made me happy - as both of my daughters donated their hair to the cause when they were preteens. 

I like it so much in fact, that I'd like to see Gunnar's roosterhawk shaved down to a pixie cut as well. LOL.

I can see Deacon wanting to create a music venue in memory of Beverly - but he couldn't have made it a coffee shop? Is it a TV Trope having an alcoholic own a bar? Seems like I've seen it a time or two. As I believe someone else pointed out, terrible bar name aside, it seems kind of an odd tribute for his sister who died, not so indirectly, because of his drinking.

As for Cole, even though I don't like the kid, I think it's completely realistic that he wouldn't respond the way a normal, sober, adult would. He was drunk, which doesn't make for clear thinking, or for that matter, quick action. He's been somewhat sheltered, and wouldn't necessarily go from point a) - woman standing on a ledge - to b) she's trying to kill herself and finally to c)  maybe he could stop her by yelling down at her. He did call someone - his daddy - which is the response I would expect from a kid.  I don't drink much these days, but in my younger days, drink absolutely did not enhance quick and good decisions.

I found it much more unbelievable that Luke would stay the night in a woman's room when his son was with him, and not be reachable by phone. 

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 3
I can see Deacon wanting to create a music venue in memory of Beverly - but he couldn't have made it a coffee shop? Is it a TV Trope having an alcoholic own a bar? Seems like I've seen it a time or two.

Sam on Cheers, but that's a comedy.

What could have been interesting to me is if Colt had called the police. He's clearly interested in challenging his father, who's all about protecting his brand. He could have tried his dad, then called the police. I suppose this could still happen, but then Colt would get Luke in trouble for obstruction, and Luke would be so pissed he'd need to drive into a cake.

• Love 6

Gunnar's storyline with this roadie/sound engineer (or whatever she is) is so pointless.  Why do they bother introducing these minor characters as someone's love interest, when we know it isn't going to last? She's not going to be a permanent character who's fully developed or interesting on her own, so they're just wasting time. Same with the various girlfriends Deacon had while he and Rayna were apart (the vet, the lawyer, etc.). 

• Love 2

I didn't even think of it as a "St. Jeff" picture -- partly because Oliver Hudson looked truly frightening in it. (Seriously, the grinning mugshot was the most unattractive image of Jeff Whoredom yet.) It was really only Layla who spoke glowingly of him. Even the idea of a tribute seemed a little bit for form's sake, to me. Luke was doing it because it was expected in or by the industry they're in, I think, not because of any genuine affection between them. I'm sure Juliette's stone-faced, affectless "He'll be missed" shocked no one whatsoever.

Gunnar's storyline with this roadie/sound engineer (or whatever she is) is so pointless.  Why do they bother introducing these minor characters as someone's love interest, when we know it isn't going to last? She's not going to be a permanent character who's fully developed or interesting on her own, so they're just wasting time. Same with the various girlfriends Deacon had while he and Rayna were apart (the vet, the lawyer, etc.). 

Every time I started to warm up to and get interested in one she was written out.

I didn't even think of it as a "St. Jeff" picture -- partly because Oliver Hudson looked truly frightening in it. (Seriously, the grinning mugshot was the most unattractive image of Jeff Whoredom yet.) It was really only Layla who spoke glowingly of him. Even the idea of a tribute seemed a little bit for form's sake, to me. Luke was doing it because it was expected in or by the industry they're in, I think, not because of any genuine affection between them. I'm sure Juliette's stone-faced, affectless "He'll be missed" shocked no one whatsoever.

Hahaha...Oliver Hudson is a very good looking man and he pulled off that slimy rich guy look too. But he didn't look anything like either Jeff or himself in that awful picture.

It was contrived. Nobody would hold a tribute to their manager. A couple of people in the music business have lost somebody in the Paris attacks. Neither of them is holding such a tribute.

Scarlett cutting her hair without telling anyone was the kind of selfish, immature thing she hasn't done since moping about her mom. The Locks of Love part doesn't change the fact that she could have told someone. She still doesn't understand what being a professional musician is about and honestly, I would not be opposed to another mental breakdown. She sings very pretty songs but she's still annoying af as a character. Also, really Nashville? Scarlett is more busy than a doctor. OK, sure. And then her lecturing Gunnar about being professional? I can't. I'd rather just have her sad all the time.

The love story of Jeff and Layla has always been completely hollow so it's hard to feel something now.

Papa Luke laying down the law was a good use of Will Chase. It reminds me of the old Luke when they were still hinting about something sinister... that went nowhere. Oh, Nashville.

I'm kind of on Deacon's side. He's been in bars. He goes to The Bluebird. And I don't think it's entirely that he's a recovering alcoholic. I think it's more than Rayna hated Beverly and is kind of jealous that Deacon named the bar after her. Let's be honest. It fits the character and that's the vibe I got from the way Connie Britton played it. Being like 'I can't ever step into that bar' was ridiculous. Also, I know that the only thing about being in this bar that will make Deacon drink is the writers. This is not an organic conflict.

Why would we ever get rid of Juliette? That scene with Layla in her dressing room was priceless. At least someone remembers that Jeff was an ass and that Layla was too until a little while ago. She also recognized that Jeff/Layla was just a collective delusion/fling and that we should all forget it as soon as possible. An excellent suggestion.

Jonathan is really trying but I can't care about the failure of their marriage when the writers jumped through hoops to keep Avery and Juliette apart. Oh, really? He just couldn't get in touch with her but he could show up just to break up with her face to face?

"Jeff did practically everything for you. That's all you can say out there?" Really, Layla? You don't want to start the conversation on all the things Jeff did and didn't do. Again, another great Juliette scene. Also, I laughed again at the flashback of Jeff falling. Never gets old.

OK, shut up, Colt. What good does it do if Jeff's death is an accident and not a suicide? Why do you need to run around telling everyone? Most people would not care.

• Love 2

I laughed at the idea that Juliet could watch Jeff go over the edge then toddle back to her room and forget it like it never happened.  Yes, there is blackout drinking/drugs but she was alert enough to balance on the ledge.  She would've recognized the seriousness of him going over and it would've had a sobering effect, not the opposite.

My assumption was that Colt had gotten Juliette back to her room which is part of the reason he was so upset. He watched Jeff die and he helped cover it up. Once again, I've given the writers too much credit.

Why would Scarlett need to tell anyone about her plan to cut her hair? Her manager's complaints about merchandising should be (and are, it appears) the least of her concerns. It doesn't seem to me like she has the kind of contract (though I could be wrong) that specifies no changes are to be made to the artist's image without prior approval of some suit or other. I don't think treating something like a haircut, no matter how radical, as her own personal concern is a sign of selfishness or immaturity.

• Love 3

ITA - there are some jobs where your contract specifically stipulates that you cannot make major changes to your appearance. In those cases, yes, you would need to clear something as noticeable as cutting off 2 feet of hair. But since the manager didn't say she had violated her contract, I'm assuming that was not part of her deal. In that case, she doesn't have to ask permission from anyone to cut her hair. That isn't selfish. That's a personal choice that she is entitled to make without consulting Gunnar or their tour people. If it's that big a deal, for merchandising, she can wear a wig for performances.

I am all for an annual cake smashing event by Luke!

• Love 3

Yanno, the dude who plays Wheeler is clearly a dad.  And probably of teenagers.

OK, shut up, Colt. What good does it do if Jeff's death is an accident and not a suicide? Why do you need to run around telling everyone? Most people would not care.

Anyone with a shred of human decency would very much like Jeff's loved ones to know the truth.  Suicide is a family event.  Maybe you know the worst people in the world or something, but I'd bet most people would want everyone to know the truth.

Edited by areca

Colt watched someone almost kill herself, and someone else die. That has to be disturbing to anyone's peace of mind, particularly a young person's, I would think. His father wants him to keep quiet about it, apparently for reasons entirely to do with business. That's not healthy, and it's not respectful of what Colt is experiencing.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1