Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E06: The More You Ignore Me

Artsda

Claire and Phil have their hands full when Luke gets arrested for driving without a license, then they catch Alex sneaking out of a liquor store, but that's on top of Phil dealing with some personal insecurities. Elsewhere, Cam tries to convince Gloria to recreate and sell her family's hot sauce while Mitch helps Jay shoot a video to accompany his Titans of Industry award. And Haley and Dylan have an awkward encounter with Andy and Beth at the movies.

Luke's arrested and the punishment is cleaning the bird house while they go around paying his fines and picking up the car? Claire and Phil really felt like they barely punished him or thought what he did was wrong. They spent more time worrying about Alex instead of the minor that was just arrested. It was like a afterthought that Luke was arrested, when it should have been a bit more of a plot. Like when Haley was arrested, they didn't even have the rest of the family find out and interact like they did when it was Haley.

Everyone feels like they're so disjointed. 

Why would Alex lie on the phone about where she is if she was just going straight home?

Ugh at Andy being back. I can do without him, he sure lost all that weight fast. I have no interest in Andy or him and Haley. Keep Dylan around he's fun.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3

It took me a while to get the end tag and that the ducks thought Phil was Claire because he kept saying "Phil! Phil! Phil!"

Dylan's fun but he's one note and I think they want to give Haley a more deeper relationship with emotions and all that.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5

Why would Alex lie on the phone about where she is if she was just going straight home?

You're right, that doesn't make sense. She was lying because she was embarrassed about whom she was with. Maybe she thought she could swing by home because Claire said she and Phil were running errands. She'd know Luke would be there, though?

And I'm still trying to figure out how hot high school girls can find Luke and Manny attractive but Alex can't get a date. Ridiculous.

• Love 7

I have a hard time believing that in 2011 (after Gloria & Jay were married) that Gloria would go and try to sell something at the Farmer's Market.  Why not make it a few years earlier, when she was a single mother and needing money.

And yes, the whole Alex thing made no sense.  They really should send Luke to boarding school because he cannot act anymore.

And really - who keeps a recipe attached to the jar, a recipe that is secret? Sometimes they make these people act in a way that no human would act just to get the plot somewhere.  It just makes everyone look stupid.

Edited by sadiegirl
  • Love 9

Man this episode was all over the place. I get everything with Luke but Alex lying because she was embarresed? Come on, enough with everyone can get a date by Alex, she is very attractive. Personality wise, OK, but its gotten old. I had read they were going to move Mitch into getting his own practice because the writers were having problems writing him unemployed even if its a real subject right now. Gloria's story line made little sense either but Jay and Joe at the end. Awww... Still, the episode was a mess with plots that made no sense and of course here with go with Andy and Haley again. Yeah, he not only dropped the weight fast he apparently got thinner too. Now, the invite to the wedding. Yeah, where is this going? Also, man Uber was in product placement city from Modern Family to Blackish tonight. We get it, its awesome, but I don't live in LA and I don't live in Chicago.

• Love 4

Those hipster yuppie "farmers market" stands were awesome in their annoying earnestness. I use quotes because none of those products are from actual farmers.

Yes, Gloria is going to make sauce and sell it, sure. The woman doesn't have a job, but she has a nanny and I assume a housecleaner and gardener. She does nothing but primp and preen, and in her spare time she screeches and practices her overblown accent.

The kid playing Luke is not a good actor and is kind of unfortunate looking. I assume it's adolescent awkwardness. I can see why girls don't like him, and why some like Manny. Manny is cute, confident and thoughtful (even if it's only for the selfish desire to attract girls).

So Phil and Claire bail Luke out, okay, have fun when he doesn't learn anything from this. And who cares if Alex is going to a liquor store? She's a college student on her own.

• Love 1

Manny getting hot chicks enrages me.

1) It seems to me they were telegraphing from pre-puberty that Manny was gay. I always thought that's where the show was heading by introducing a 10 year-old who sips espresso and cares about pocket squares. It would have been way more interesting.

2) He's a chubby dork who cares about pocket squares and baking. As a 36 year old, this is the type of man I would date in two seconds. But hot teen girls would not. Except in TV land.

Andy being back enrages me:

1) This has been dragging on for more than TWO YEARS. Who do the show runners think this pairing is? Ross and Rachel? That didn't even drag on for two years, and people actually GAVE A SHIT about Ross and Rachel.

2) Hayley making a weird circus fat joke about Andy. Fuck off, Hayley.

• Love 7

Also, man Uber was in product placement city from Modern Family to Blackish tonight.

Besides Ty Burrell's usual brilliance, especially at physical comedy, but also when ever he loses it, the only funny line of the whole show was Dylan saying "You know I'm banned from Uber for talking to the drivers too much".

I swear, it was the only time I even chuckled....ok, maybe a little when Gloria was screeching at Joe about how to tie his shoe "First you make the little man, then you tie the knot tight around his neck..."

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 2

So all the Dunphys need now is for Alex to get arrested (possibly at some kind of college protest) and they'll have the trifecta!

And really - who keeps a recipe attached to the jar, a recipe that is secret? Sometimes they make these people act in a way that no human would act just to get the plot somewhere.  It just makes everyone look stupid.

This exactly. Are we supposed to believe that every time Gloria makes a new jar of sauce she attaches the recipe to it instead of keeping it in a box or a book or a drawer or LITERALLY ANYWHERE ELSE?

• Love 2

Andy being back enrages me:

1) This has been dragging on for more than TWO YEARS. Who do the show runners think this pairing is? Ross and Rachel? That didn't even drag on for two years, and people actually GAVE A SHIT about Ross and Rachel.

And just like the Earth revolves around the Sun, the inevitability of Andy and Beth's wedding being interrupted by Hayley's declaration of love looms ever larger. Thanks, writers, for telegraphing that by having Beth suggest they invite Hayley and Dylan!

• Love 5

Another thing that bugged; Jay is a successful businessman because he thinks he invented reverse psychology.

It took me a while to get the end tag and that the ducks thought Phil was Claire because he kept saying "Phil! Phil! Phil!"

I like that better than what I thought it was. I thought it's just because he was whining and complaining in a loud, shrill voice (implying that's all Claire ever does). 

• Love 1

I was bugged they were trying to teach a pre schooler how to tie his shoes. As the mother of former toddlers I knew that was ridiculous. I was so enraged I googled shoe tying for kids. Average age for girls is 6 and boys is 7. Therefore verifying my delightful children weren't slow. 

Mildly amused by episode.

• Love 4

It's Andy's turn to do some declaring IMO. Hayley just broke up with Dylan (again), so unless they get back together (again), it would be a really awkward date choice on top of her wanting to go to their wedding in the first place.

Did Gloria's aunt just die and I missed that explanation? Gloria said something like she made the sauce only once when she was eight, but has a jar with the recipe. No way I'd be able to recreate the sauce from memory. No one should EVER hand Mitch or Cam anything valuable when there is water around (sauce recipe suffered same fate as Mitchell's comic book).

According to the show on numerous occasions, Gloria does SO MUCH all the time for her family. Sure...

It looks like Joe learned how to tie his shoes way before big brother. (That was a nice end to Jay's video.)

ETA: Yeah, I thought that was kind of young for shoe-tying.

Edited by indeed
  • Love 2

Here is the problem with Dylan with me, he is all over the place. In the writing, in the jokes. Is he funny? Oh yeah. Do I get why they keep bring hi back? Oh yes. However, when he and Haley are together I think I'm back in season 1 and 2. They haven't change and they want to write it that Haley has and wants more in life and not some "hot guy". Yet, their plan is to throw her with Andy? Who cares? I know there are some people out there who do, but it just smells of contrive. Plus, they spent two years with no show Beth and then she's: "No one touches my man!" Even though they have broken up constantly and she came back because someone else was interested in Andy. Yeah, that's a marriage that will last even if they are setting it up for the wedding to be stopped by Haley or some divine act that Haley and Andy are meant to be. Oh gag! 

The problem with the entire Dumphy Clan is they never learn. Claire still shrieks and shrills. Phil comes up with some crazy idea that no one wants to do. Alex is: "Poor me, I'm so nerdy no one wants to date me but I'm shrill like my mom." Luke has lost so many braincells he is at the point of not knowing how to breath and Haley is: "Look, I'm super hot but duh... where do I go in life? Oh Andy, don't marry Beth!" 

Another thing that bugged; Jay is a successful businessman because he thinks he invented reverse psychology.

I like that better than what I thought it was. I thought it's just because he was whining and complaining in a loud, shrill voice (implying that's all Claire ever does). 

I know, right?

I don't think the reverse psych thing works on everyone and could kill someone's spirit. I kind of hated Jay for that, but I generally love him.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

Why would crazy scheming Beth suddenly want Hailey at the wedding? Is she suddenly not psycho because Hailey has a boyfriend? Or perhaps the writers realized how insulting her portrayal was becoming.

I'm in the minority in that I don't like the duck storyline. Yes, they're cute, but it's irresponsible to give people the idea that you can take wildlife into your home and raise it as a pet. It's almost never a good idea, and in many states it's illegal if you're not a licensed wildlife rehabilitator.

• Love 4

Manny getting hot chicks enrages me.

1) It seems to me they were telegraphing from pre-puberty that Manny was gay. I always thought that's where the show was heading by introducing a 10 year-old who sips espresso and cares about pocket squares. It would have been way more interesting.

Not forgetting of course his love of Broadway musicals. Nothing in TV Land shouts "GAY!!" louder than a passion for show tunes...

Luke might have more luck with the ladies if he stopped talking like he had a mouth of marbles.

Why would crazy scheming Beth suddenly want Hailey at the wedding? Is she suddenly not psycho because Hailey has a boyfriend? Or perhaps the writers realized how insulting her portrayal was becoming.

I wondered that too. She didn't seem bothered that Haley sat next to Andy at the movie (Dylan could have sat between them), she asked Haley and Dylan to go eat with them, and she suddenly wants Haley at the wedding. She also didn't seem to mind when Andy and Haley were talking alone at the restaurant. That's quite a change. I might be reaching, but I was wondering if she doesn't want to marry Andy anymore and was looking for a way out. She made that little comment about Andy's British voice that would normally seem like one of those small things a significant other might do that gets on your nerves, but given her sudden interest in having Haley around made me wonder if maybe, on some level, she wants Haley to break them up or stop the wedding. Of course, I could be totally off base!

The ducks following Phil around when he was screeching his name made me laugh. When one of my kids was a toddler, he used imitate my sil by walking around yelling "shut up, Bobby!" (Bobby is her husband. Guess who wears the pants in that family?)

Edited by EVS
  • Love 4

UGH.  The shark has arrived and been jumped.  I think it happened last season at some point in time, this season is just...  not.... very... funny...

Hee. When the original shark was jumped on Happy Days the show lasted 5 years longer... after that.

I see your point though .

The actor playing Luke talks differently than he used to.  I don't mean his voice, which has also changed (guys voices tend to do that), I mean the way his mouth moves.  It is like he is over enunciating the words.  I don't remember him doing that when he was younger.

This episode seemed off, like it was written by someone who doesn't watch the show, just has it on in the background.  There were so many things that didn't make sense, making the show feel very contrived.  A lot of stuff has already been mentioned, like Alex lying about being at school even though she was going home, and the only copy of the old family recipe being attached to the jar.  

A few things I haven't seen mentioned - 

If it was a recipe that the aunt didn't share with anyone, why would Gloria just hand it over to Mitchell, and why would Mitchell, who seems to have no interest in cooking, want to see the recipe?

Was the jar of the aunt's sauce just out on the table? Shouldn't it be refrigerated? And Gloria acted like it was a surprise - "Oh look, the jar of the special sauce from Columbia is right here in front of me!"

The label to Gloria's unfortunate hair product - I understand that it was supposed to be easily misinterpreted, but there didn't seem to be any other way to interpret it than leave in for 3 minutes - "Leave in for 3....Minutes later..."  Leave in for 3 what? Usually this show does a much better job of making misinterpretation more plausible (like Baby Jesus / baby cheeses).  

The convenient hole in the fence - The duckling waddles under a board into the neighbors yard makes sense - the Dunpheys don't have a dog, no need to fix every hole in the fencing.  Manny walking through a gaping hole in the fence (right above the board the duck walked under) doesn't make sense.  

However, I will give them a pass on the shoe tying.  I have known more than one kid who could tie his/her shoes in preschool.  Some kids have the small motor skills that young and some do not. It is not a sign of future intelligence nor does it indicate whether they will be respectable, law-abiding adults, but being able to tie at age three is more likely than having the only copy of a recipe taped to an open jar of sauce that happens to be sitting in the middle of your kitchen table.  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 1

I love this show and am upset this season seems so thrown together.  It's like the original writers lost interest and handed it over to interns who have halfway watched the past seasons!  This show used to be so smart, now it just seems lazy.  Get it back on track!

• Love 4

The convenient hole in the fence - The duckling waddles under a board into the neighbors yard makes sense - the Dunpheys don't have a dog, no need to fix every hole in the fencing.  Manny walking through a gaping hole in the fence (right above the board the duck walked under) doesn't make sense.

Yeah, that really made no sense. Especially after the last year of Luke being told to do all these chores and repairs. Plus, the way Phil has been on about the duck project, there is no way he would have left that hole there. Something that really has been crazy the last couple of years is Dylan's constant changing career or money ideas. Where is he getting the money and how can he just go: "Well, I decided to go into nursing because that's where I seem to be heading." To then: "I have a sign to spin." "My V neck letter shirts are winners." He has turned into Gil from the Simpsons and Kirk from Gilmore Girls.

And another thing that didn't make sense this episode - Andy works (worked?) for Phil and he worked for Jay and Gloria for a long time, wouldn't the whole clan be invited to the wedding?  Unless it was supposed to be a small wedding, in which case why would you think about inviting them just because you sat next to them in a movie theater? 

• Love 2

And another thing that didn't make sense this episode - Andy works (worked?) for Phil and he worked for Jay and Gloria for a long time, wouldn't the whole clan be invited to the wedding?  Unless it was supposed to be a small wedding, in which case why would you think about inviting them just because you sat next to them in a movie theater? 

Of course they will be there! Philosophical question - if Haley stands up in church and declares her undying love for Andy while he's standing at the altar and no family members are there to see it, did it really happen?

I foresee a two parter coming up, a la Mitch and Cam's wedding...

• Love 2

He's a chubby dork who cares about pocket squares and baking. As a 36 year old, this is the type of man I would date in two seconds. But hot teen girls would not. Except in TV land.

It's ridiculous how the show keeps trying to sell the notion that Manny is some ladies' man. He's overweight, short, a dork, dresses like an 80-year-old Florida retiree, and is just plain awkward/stilted. There is no way that he would be having success with attractive teen girls, much less many of them. 

• Love 6

It's ridiculous how the show keeps trying to sell the notion that Manny is some ladies' man. He's overweight, short, a dork, dresses like an 80-year-old Florida retiree, and is just plain awkward/stilted. There is no way that he would be having success with attractive teen girls, much less many of them.

Agree except do they really show him as a ladies man except in this episode? I guess I don't recall that being a recurring thing. Even Luke started out with (paraphrasing) "Everyone else is getting hot girls lately except for me. And I mean everyone." [Camera pans to Luke and a hot girl while Luke rolls his eyes.] Like it was unusual and/or unrealistic. And yes I do realize they are competitive with each other.

I think it was alluded to before. Manny had that hot cheerleader girlfriend (when he was doped up on painkillers and Gloria was fussing over him). In another episode he and Luke double-dated with cute twins. In another Manny said to Gloria (I think) that the things that used to make him seem weird were becoming things that girls liked (haha okay...).

Plus, there was an episode where Manny was popular in general unlike Luke because Manny was invited to a big party and Luke wasn't. It would be more believable if neither of them were all that popular IMO. Sure, Manny is on the football team, but that doesn't necessarily make one popular.

(Didn't the college girls seem to like Manny more, too?)

Edited by indeed

I guess I always figured Haley would end up with a rich older guy, someone like Mitch's rich boss who surfed...  I wish the show would spin a little something different, I think having her settle for a mini dad is boring.

• Love 1

I guess I always figured Haley would end up with a rich older guy, someone like Mitch's rich boss who surfed...  I wish the show would spin a little something different, I think having her settle for a mini dad is boring.

I'll take anyone but Andy.

• Love 6

Uber was in product placement city from Modern Family to Blackish tonight. We get it, its awesome, but I don't live in LA and I don't live in Chicago.

I saw it more as a topical reference like making a joke about Twitter because it's something that's happening now. It's not just in LA and Chicago either. Uber is in almost 200 cities in North America, even smaller cities like Reno and Modesto. The only place I've been recently that didn't have Uber was South Lake Tahoe.

I don't remember, but I would think that if a girl had to choose between Manny and Luke, she would pick Manny.

Wow, what a choice. I don't know which one I would go for if I was a teen and had to pick. Unfortunate casting but you never know what kids will grow up be.

• Love 1

Ugh at Andy being back. I can do without him, he sure lost all that weight fast. I have no interest in Andy or him and Haley. Keep Dylan around he's fun.

I love Dylan. And I liked his sudden burst of "i'm tired of being jerked around" like suddenly all his goofball-ness disappeared.

I don't see a Haley / Andy chemistry, i see them as a FORCED thing where showrunners/writers want to prove that "hey, opposites attract" and "Haley's tastes grew" and "of course she'll be attracted to someone like her father."

• Love 3

Yeah, it is kind of creepy to me how Andy is supposed to be exactly like Phil.  I know they hit us over the head with how good of a guy Phil and how lucky Claire is, but it seems a little wierd for a girl to be attracted to someone so similar to her father.

• Love 1

They drew similarities between Phil and Dylan, too, so apparently Hayley has a type--her dad.

Sad to say, yeah, even with Dylan, who is the dumber Phil but has a lot of Phil's attributes. If you look at Dylan's various jobs and business ideas, they are very much like Phil but to a much lower IQ. With Andy, you have like Phil in the business model and hard working but so naive to things you have to hit him with a road sign and he still be: "What you mean, Beth is bad for me?" "She's perfect... lalala... ponies!" Even the doctor that Haley went out with, he was very naive. Hard working and great job and together, but if you didn't explain anything to him, he didn't get it. We get it writers, Haley wants someone like her dad.