Type keyword(s) to search

Ash Vs Evil Dead - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I hope they have an explanation for why Baal looks human in that photo. I thought it was a real high point of the first season how inhuman and strange they made Eligos look, as opposed to the more familiar deadites.

Ash is forced to leave his cushy retirement in Jacksonville, return to his hometown of Elk Grove, Michigan, and mount up once again to face The Evil Dead. This time, he'll have to form an uneasy alliance with his former enemy Ruby as Elk Grove becomes the nucleus to the most dangerous horror Ash has faced to date.

Did anyone else catch the early viewing on Facebook? I thought it was great. The music once again rocked. It looks like they upped the budget because the effects seemed more polished. The only negative I can think of is that Ash's Dad (Lee Majors) was introduced, but wasn't involved in the plot at all yet. 

16 hours ago, Zaku said:

Really, why wasn't he arrested after the events of the movie? I do not think "I killed my girlfriend because she was possessed by a daemon" is a great defense.

Wasn't Henrietta's decapitated, no-longer-human body left at the scene after the end of Evil Dead 2? That might have been enough for the authorities to sweep everything under the rug...

• Love 1

Welcome Back Show!  That was fun, looking forward to more Lee Majors.  I still don't trust Ruby, she needs Ash but, i think she'll betray them in the end. 

Either i forgot how gory this show was or they really upped the gore factor.

Oh my gravy, I love this show. Thirty perfect minutes of gore to the knees, non-stop bon mots, and the still very pretty BC and LL.

"Dicksticks!"

Ash's "the spicy man meat in a mother-daughter sandwich"... gagging!

And what did Kelly say about that sullen skater kid? Something like "Check out this little asshole."? I wanna start using that whenever I see a random, cranky adolescent.

I wonder what their budget is for Karo syrup, glycerin, or whatever the hell it is they use for blood.

I think they definitely upped the gore, but I was still dying at how many times Ash wanged his head on something. I like how Kelly goes absolutely berzerker when she fighting: I think you got her Kel!!

I thought the season was going to have one or two episodes in Jacksonville, but I'm glad the show just totally jumped back into it. 

Wow. This one was a serious return to the original films, wasn't it? Most of the eps have felt way more "Army of Darkness" than ED 1 or 2, and that's been fine because AoD is actually my favorite of the trilogy, but this was a great reminder that it really is meant to be one story. The early scenes were surprisingly dramatic and suspenseful, and then stylistically it sort of morphed, first into something very similar to the second film and then finally the third. Didn't expect Fisher to die, that's for sure, but hopefully some of the guesses here about Xena might be on to something.

Anyway, this was either a big standout episode, or a very strong turning point. Which is why, before moving on, I stopped the DVD player to let it digest a little bit while seeing what people here had been saying about the second half of the season. Me... I expected to enjoy this show, but I'm pleasantly surprised to actually be impressed by it.

Gigantic props to the girl who played Heather. Most of her role was nothing but screaming, cringing, getting roaches all over her, and enduring huge amounts of time-consuming prosthetic gore, but she was acting her ass off! Talk about bringing your A-game to a B-gig.

Not sure how sincere LL is about her endgame. She could just be a big evil liar. Or she might honestly think that controlled demonry is better then the inevitable problems with letting them run around doing whatever. Since Ash could easily be one of the posterboys for the Chaotic Good alignment, making the big bad of the show someone who is approaching the same problem as him but from a Lawful Evil direction actually works great, thematically. Yes, I've been reading too much "Order of the Stick" lately.

Overall, this was not quite as great as the previous two episodes, but it still has me excited for Season 2. Wish I had Starz. Also, I wish this first season had been just a few episodes longer.

• Love 1

That was good, bloody fun.  Of course Ash wears socks with his sandals LOL.  Am I the only one old enough to catch the "better, stronger, faster" quote with Lee Majors?  Talk about perfect casting for Ash's dad btw.

Ashy Slashy - aw, poor Ash, hee.

And what did Kelly say about that sullen skater kid? Something like "Check out this little asshole."?

"Look at this creepy fucker"  She was cracking me up this episode.  Dana DeLorenzo is obviously having a lot of fun here. 

It also makes sense that Pablo would be feeling some residual effects from the book.

Glad the show is back!

Edited by raven
  • Love 2

This episode was simultaneously hilarious and disgusting.

Loved the Pablo/Ruby scenes and of course those punks stole the Delta. 

Shallow note, Ruby's hair looked much better this episode.  Still not thrilled with the two tone lavender/brunette stuff but it looked better dry.

Edited by Morrigan2575

They definitely got their money's worth on their gore budget this episode.  So wrong and disgusting yet so hilarious.  This has to be the first time on TV we've ever seen a character wearing a dead man's asshole, right?  

I still really hate Lucy Lawless' two-tone hair.  The pink is actually pretty distracting on a creature we're supposed to believe is how many hundreds? thousands? of years old to have written the Necronomicon.  I did love Ash introducing Pablo and Kelly as good people and part of the family while "we don't know about her yet" about Ruby.  Indeed.  The fakeout of her slitting Pablo's throat seems to suggest they want to keep that an unknown about her awhile longer.

I'm kind of intrigued that they seem to be following the thread they started in last season's finale about whether the Necronomicon ruined Ash's life as he claims or if it actually made him more than he would have been.  By setting this season in his dumpy little hometown and his childhood home, we're seeing evidence of both.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 3

That was 15 kinds of gross, but also hilarious. 

This show is just my perfect October show, gory and freaky but also hilarious with fun characters and an interesting plot. I love seeing Ashs home town, and kind of seeing the road not taken with his past. 

One thing I'm wondering, since when can the Necronomicon reanimate bodies by simple proximity without someone reading incantations from it first? Or were the deadites in the morgue thanks to the evil force Ash unleashed in the series premiere?

I guess i should have known by the episode title but, i was so not prepared for that ending. I was completely caught off guard, although the sudden attempt at a destiny reveal should have clued me in.

Other than that, i loved Evil Possessed Delta, those were some awesome scary/gory scenes. I have to admit, i turned away during the face/tire scene. That was just a little too much for me.

Finally, i really, really don't trust Ruby, she's a manipulator.  I hope she doesn't betray the gang.

Last thought, it was great seeing Joxer, Xena and Autolycus again...sorta.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I loved Evil Possessed Delta too.  There was some straight up Christine, old school high school horror movie stuff happening there.  I had to look away from the face/tire scene too.  Nice use of flashbacks to the very early movies.

Yeah, the episode title should have been a tipoff as well as the franchise's own history where everyone important to Ash ends up dead but dammit, just when there finally seems to be a point beyond old man grossout humor and some near maudlin arrested development storyline to Ash's dad, of course he's dead now too.  I hope they're going somewhere interesting and unexpected with the interrupted destiny reveal and Ruby's continued puzzlement over Ash.

Please please please, show, do something about Lucy Lawless's hair.  She looks every bit as good now as she did in her Xena days but the pink two-tone mess really isn't doing her any favors.

Pretty sure it's a sign of how old I am that I was totally fangirl squeeing over seeing Xena, Autolycus, and Joxer's portrayers all united onscreen too but I'm not even going to pretend to care.  I'm just enjoying the longevity of their working relationship.

• Love 1

I could see Brock's death coming as soon as he started to tell Ash his secret - but I have to admit I laughed at the pure absurdity of it!

BTW, anybody else see the TV screen in the back of the bar was showing some cartoon/advert for 'Shemps'?

(I love the little background stuff, like Brock's slogan on his truck last week!)

• Love 1

Vehicle is the awesomest song and perfect for Ash. As was Lucy Lawless' hair. 

I liked the introspection from Kelly too. She hasn't really dealt with everything that's happened to her. 

22 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Finally, i really, really don't trust Ruby, she's a manipulator.  I hope she doesn't betray the gang.

Isn't Ash actually in the book? I don't think she is going to be betray anyone more than she is manipulating them to do what she wants. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Isn't Ash actually in the book? I don't think she is going to be betray anyone more than she is manipulating them to do what she wants. 

By betray, i meant something like she says or we have to stop Baal and my kids because they've become too dangerousand i can't handle them. When really it's we have to stop Baal and my children so i can be the ultimate evil mahwahahah! ?

Oh I have no doubt she has a hidden agenda. There must be something like she can't actually kill Ash or something else because she took his truce deal fast. 

It does look like she could beat the kids fire real though so I don't think that is a set up. 

Ruby is definitely up to something. But it seems like she needs to get the kids out of the way first, and like it or not Ash seems to be the only one capable of doing that. She's trustworthy, but only so long as it suits her. The moment she doesn't need Ash anymore he'd better watch out.

• Love 1

I don't know, she does seem to be human enough to have understandable motivations and not just be Kill All Humans 24/7 like the evil forces animating the deadites. I've no doubt that Ruby is doing whatever's best for Ruby, but having the Necronomicon in her hands probably at least avoids whoopsies like Christine v2.0 and Ash unleashing the evil in the series premiere.

The moment Lee Majors stepped out on the street I knew he was gonna get run over by Deltine. 

Also: Army of Darkness really seems to be canon now. They showed actual footage during Ash's trip down memory lane. 

Edited by mrspidey
  • Love 2