Type keyword(s) to search

Ash Vs Evil Dead - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The people of Elk Grove welcoming Ash as a hero makes no sense. Nor does Linda being deliriously happy to be on Ash's arm after her family was killed off. (Admittedly some of the stuff Thomas did under Baal's influence might reduce the sting of his death, but she's sure as hell not going to shrug off Lacey dying.)

Bruce is making the rounds of bookstores with his new book and everyone is asking when the third season will air. He keeps telling everyone that it's up to Starz. I wonder what the holdup is.

• Love 1

I wouldn't be watching this series if I didn't enjoy a bit of gross-out humor, but it seems like it's taken over the show, at the expense of pretty much everything else. The first two episodes of this season have each felt like they had about five minutes of actual plot and/or characterization, surrounded by a ridiculous amount of squirting and screaming. Disc 1 has three more eps on it for me to watch before I send it back to Netflix. Hopefully it gets better. So far: this really does not feel like the same show that it grew into last season. It's like the difference between very old Gallegher, back when he told jokes and smashed watermelons, versus Gallegher during the slighly later period when he literally just smashed food for an hour.

On 8/28/2017 at 1:15 PM, rcc said:

Bruce is making the rounds of bookstores with his new book and everyone is asking when the third season will air. He keeps telling everyone that it's up to Starz. I wonder what the holdup is.

I had no idea Bruce had written a new book, just ordered it. Thanks for the tip!

• Love 1
On 05/10/2017 at 5:29 PM, rcc said:

Finally! A start date for season 3.                                           

http://deadline.com/2017/10/ash-vs-evil-dead-starz-season-three-premiere-1202182407/

Am really pleased S3 will be hitting our screens, albeit in February 2018. 

I do wonder, however, how long it will be before the studio bosses cancel the show? Season 1 was excellent in every conceivable way; Season 2 offered more plot-lines but every episode felt a little "samey" to me; not least with a key fight/gore scene in each one.  Season 2 didn't last in the memory quite so much as the premier season; so I hope S3 offers something really fresh and different.

I guess also the filming of each episode must be quite gruelling for the lead actors, especially the highly choreographed and stamina-sapping fight scenes. Must be quite draining for poor old Bruce!

Anyway, here's to February. Groovy!

• Love 3

Now that this show is on Netflix I started watching and on season 2 now.  I'm a big fan of both the Evil Dead movies and Xena/Hercules from years ago.  Seeing the Raimis back together with Bruce Campbell and Lucy Lawless again is something I can't miss.  This show hasn't missed a beat, it's the best transition from the movies to a t.v. series I've seen.  Bruce Campbell is at his cheesy best and Lucy Lawless is great.  The two sidekicks Pablo and Kelly play off Campbell really well and are funny in their own right, and the whole thing is a scary gory laugh riot.  Evil Dead is the anti-Walking Dead.  As Ash would say, it's groovy.

Late to the party but...

Despite watching both seasons and enjoyed them immensely (albeit with some reservations with regards S2), I have to say the loss of Amanda was a major disappointment! I was secretly hoping she was going to stick around for at least another season, but perhaps the producers weren't sure if a 2nd season had been signed off at the time, and just decided to can her for shock effect (unless the actress had other commitments and wanted out)

Nevertheless, her departure somehow left a massive hole because to be honest I was getting a little "meh" with Kelly and Pablo.

Still a good episode, not least because it added some form of completion to the original ED films.

• Love 1

"Whatever you do, DON'T break the circle!!"

So you just know what's going to happen, not helped by everyone deciding to standing barely an inch away from the circle. But the summoning of minor-demon, Eligos, was very well done sfx-wise, and was a very creepy character. And on first viewing I loved Ash's comment:-

"Err, you don't look anything like your photos; so you may wanna update that!"

And 

On 15/11/2015 at 10:53 PM, nodorothyparker said:

I am going to need both Kelly and especially Fisher to get smarter.  After everything she's seen to pull a gun on Ash not once but twice when he's clearly dealing with Something Very Bad?  Just no.

Especially Fisher. She needs to stop thinking like a cop and realise she's living in a big bad evil world called WTF!? The way she pointed her gun at Ash, while Eligos was pitching for some serious mayhem, was quite dumb on her part, especially given what happened back at the house in ep1. 

But a nice episode all round really. 

Kelly's knight of Sumeria friend was hot.  I'm sure he'll die soon, LOL.

"Good sex is 30 seconds and a cheeseburger" - oh Ash, never change.

Glad we're back!

• Love 1

Only first episode in so far, but my first thought is that the actress playing Brandi looks waaay too old to be in high school while her unfortunately thin-sliced friend does not.  IMBd lists the actress as 26, so I guess we're going for the Luke Perry version of high schoolers.  The anvils were ringing hard that mom (Candy Barr, hee!) had to die to leave the kid with Ash who only learned about her five minutes before and hasn't gotten around to remembering her name yet.  Otherwise, the school and the mascot was a great set piece that was obviously borrowing from the murderous mascots of Five Nights at Freddie's that my tweens are heavily into right now.   

The opening commercial was everything in its sheer terribleness.  Of course Ash would open up a hardware store and sex emporium because of course he would.  

• Love 3

I intentionally haven't seen S3 episodes just yet. Instead I prefer to wait until season end and then enjoy a back2back episode feast over a long weekend or something. 

It's a hard thing to do waiting for 10 or 11 weeks before doing this, but I often find I can follow the story lines better when watching it in full over a period of a couple of days. 

Even though I have no idea how S3 will play out, I am kind of hoping this will be the last.

Anyway, enjoy the blood & gore, folks. 

• Love 1

Putting aside the utter implausibility of a dinky rundown town having a sperm bank, that fight could have been so much worse.  And we never did get any answers about how many possible other little Ashes might be out there running around.  Brandy is still really flat as a character and not just as a placeholder.

Does no one in this universe ever pause to think maybe not to approach a car that just splattered with blood from the inside or not to walk up and grab someone who suddenly stopped responding or acting normally?

• Love 1

So this was the almost naked boobs episode.

The sperm bank fight was pretty funny because it was unexpected and because Bruce Campbell is good at physical comedy.  "I wasn't finished yet" "That's what they all say" Hee.

Brandy seems like she should be a bit more messed up after seeing her mother and friend violently killed by demons and almost killed herself.  The actress is kind of flat and she needs to step up, having to play off such big personalities/characters. 

Kelly is the best.  I love the family vibe.

• Love 2

Brandy's actress still isn't doing much for me but I love how this last episode wasted no time in completely throwing her in the deep end of just how utterly fucked up the Williams family legacy is.  Between the terrific set piece of the low-rent American Gothic-style chapel funeral to the father she just met climbing out of her mother's coffin to chainsaw freshly resurrected grandpa, they're not pussyfooting around about the universe she now finds herself a part of.  The AV Club reviewer observes that she's now where Ash was halfway through the first movie right before he first picked up an ax and chopping off his hand started to seem like a completely reasonable thing.  I'm just not convinced that the actress or the character has the chops or big personality to take a similar path.

Kelly looks damn amazing in purple leather.  The cabin may be gone but its final resting place seems perfectly amenable to spitting back up all its contents.

• Love 2
On 04/03/2018 at 10:09 PM, WritinMan said:

This show must have quite a budget for gross special effects.

Budget and/or talent.

The effects, the music, the actors, the story line, everything is way better than... Let's say...  The Walking Dead? 

Even if the comedy makes a different kind of show I am always amazed to see what they are doing.  You never get lost in the plot, it is always interesting and the characters are perfect. 

Always the right song at the right time.  Lee Major back for a cameo, it is all good for me!

1 hour ago, nodorothyparker said:

Brandy's actress still isn't doing much for me but I love how this last episode wasted no time in completely throwing her in the deep end of just how utterly fucked up the Williams family legacy is.

Maybe she just doesn't know how to react because she doesn't even have time for it and I don't mind her being speechless for now, The bit at the funeral was epic!  I understand the path she's in and I can't wait to see what is gonna come up out of it.

Edited by heisenberg
  • Love 2

Considering Kelly went through something quite similar a couple years ago, I think the writers are really falling down on the job not having her talk to Brandy and help her cope with losing her parent to demonic evil and being set adrift in the world. I think she'd be much better at it than Ash.

I miss the first season when the show at least paid lip service to the idea that being at the center of so many gruesome deaths and dismemberments might get law enforcement agencies interested in Ash. Now it seems like the town of Elk Grove is treating him as a wacky town drunk rather than someone who keeps popping up covered in bits of recently murdered locals.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

Now it seems like the town of Elk Grove is treating him as a wacky town drunk rather than someone who keeps popping up covered in bits of recently murdered locals.

I thought at least in Elk Grove they knew about Deadites, that there was a big fight there at the end of S2.  That was a while ago so I could be mis-remembering.

1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

I miss the first season when the show at least paid lip service to the idea that being at the center of so many gruesome deaths and dismemberments might get law enforcement agencies interested in Ash. Now it seems like the town of Elk Grove is treating him as a wacky town drunk rather than someone who keeps popping up covered in bits of recently murdered locals.

I had a similar thought when Brandy was set to walk out the door freshly drenched in grandpa's blood.  They're getting awfully cavalier about members of this family or anyone, really, wandering about town covered in freshly shredded human bits.   I'm a little fuzzy on the particulars too because last season's ender wasn't great, but I seem to recall that the whole fighting and supposedly defeating EVIL thing is now out in the open and everyone knows Ash isn't the local chainsaw-wielding maniac cutting up the neighbors, hence his being able to open his hardware store/sex emporium on Main Street, but you'd still think that he and various hangers on suddenly wandering about covered in blood again might raise a few questions about what's going on.

What the hell was that with Pablo suddenly going full-on deadite evil out of the blue? Was there a precipitating event in the previous episode that I missed?

Also surprised that Dalton offed himself when I'd assumed some contrivance would have him remaining a sidekick for the full season. But doing so does fit the character.

I did like getting to see Brock return for real and have some good moments with Ash, so the latter's final memories of his father won't be as a reanimated corpse (or having his head squished by the Oldsmobile). Weird that he'd have previously been so judgmental about Ash considering he nonchalantly kicked someone down the stairs of his shop and sealed his supposed dead body up in the cellar, though.

7 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

What the hell was that with Pablo suddenly going full-on deadite evil out of the blue? Was there a precipitating event in the previous episode that I missed?

He's been seeing that naked woman and has the lettering on his body - maybe being at the cabin?  I don't think that he's turned completely deadite evil or maybe that's a deadite mimicking Pablo; we haven't gotten an explanation yet.

I liked Kelly trying to tell Brandy what's what.

The Brock and Ash team up was fun, hopefully Brock can return once in a while.  I LOL at Brock walking through the door and Ash walking into it.

"What's Norway for up shit's creek?"  Heeeeeeee

Plenty of splatters to be had this episode.  It tickles me to no end to see Bruce Campbell still able to do insane action sequences like his fight with the tentacle monster in the wall.

Since I'm barely able to follow all the stuff with the "Dark Ones" and whichever version of Ruby we're dealing with at any given time and whatever version of Pablo we're dealing with from week to week, I like that they brought ghost Brock back to at least try to tie up his story some rather than let it end with chainsawing up reanimated corpse dad.  Still, the big reveal that "Yeah, sort of accidentally killed a guy who showed up here looking for you with some weird book pages and babbling about something.  He's in the cellar you never noticed before," feels kind of like a letdown after last season's build up right before death by Delta that whatever he had to tell Ash would be fundamentally life changing.

Pairing Brandy with Kelly automatically makes Brandy better, and the deadite Pablo fight to Air Supply was a hoot.  I just hope Kelly doesn't end up with a chainsaw leg.

Is Ray Santiago looking really weird to anyone else like he does to me? He went from a slender nerdy guy in the first season to having a jacked athlete's physique, but still has the same thin neck and narrow head he did before. It's like they decapitated him and stitched his head onto someone else's body!

On 3/26/2018 at 3:12 PM, Bruinsfan said:

Is Ray Santiago looking really weird to anyone else like he does to me?

LOL I think he's a skinny guy with a long head and neck who bulked up as much as he could because he knew he'd be shirtless a lot.  I wouldn't say really weird but maybe a little unbalanced looking.

Kelly is so bad ass; when she was hanging upside down trying to yank Brandy away from deadite Pablo was pretty cool.  Then I'm thinking - someone in the writer's room actually came up with "let's put Pablo's mouth coming out of Kelly's leg and anything she does to the mouth, full body Pablo will feel".   I love the nuttiness.   Also, Kelly "This probably won't be the most fucked up thing that will happen to me".

Glad Brandy is on board!

• Love 1

KELLLLY  no way she is dead forever.  Not after Pablo came back.

Still, if Kelly had stabbed Ruby after blowing away a piece of her face, Ruby would be dead (plot!)  It was still a great fight.

The Thing-demon from the other dimension was gross fun "can't you just kill the guy!!"  I'm sure there will be more to come.

Fun episode.  Oh and bye, other Sumerian knights except for that one lady.

• Love 2
On 03/04/2018 at 6:36 PM, raven said:

KELLLLY  no way she is dead forever.  Not after Pablo came back.

I believe neither Kelly and the daughter are really dead, if we can see them in the other dimension it is because they'll come back...   I hope!

Awesome party.  They will remember their graduation!

• Love 1