Type keyword(s) to search

Ash Vs Evil Dead - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Okay, skepticism somewhat stemmed. That's GREAT stuff in the promo.

It has some of the flavor of that "Reaper" show from a few years ago, but also of course the classic Evil Dead stuff (focusing most on the comedy aspects).

In the series premiere, a chainsaw-handed hero reluctantly must save the world when his act of stupidity unleashes evil and mayhem. It's been 30 years since Ash last battled the Deadites, but now a Deadite plague threatens and he must act.

That was SO MUCH fun.  Bruce Campbell is (still) great, and the gore wasn't over the top.  I hope they can keep up the good writing and directing, because this episode had just the right amount of humor.

• Love 2

Making out in a toilet bar getting confused...

Smashing up an evil mupppet with a shovel...

Killing an old "go for" lady with a chainsaw...

Evererything I was expecting for finally!  :-)

And the number of heads beeing cut-off this week!  if you take in count Supernatural it is very impressing...

Edited by heisenberg
  • Love 1

This was really fun. I admit, I was never as much of a fan of Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness as I was Evil Dead 1 and though I really enjoy Bruce Campbell. The sequels started to get too campy and silly-gorey for my tastes, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect of the series, although I was looking forward to it. Episode 1 exceeded my expectations. It is still campy, but so far, at least, it works better for me than some of the sillier scenes in 2 and 3. Ash is just as roguishly detestable as he ever was, and the dialogue with the newer characters was good; they've already done a better job establishing these characters than a lot of shows on tv do. I was surprised by how quickly they jumped right into the (apparent) end of the world scenario considering it is episodic television and not a feature length film, but the pace was consistent and there weren't any dull moments. 

I'm not sure where the B plot is going yet, or if I really care too much about the policewoman character; that story almost feels like an entirely different corner of the horror genre got misplaced into this show, but I loved the Headturn monster and that whole sequence in the house. 

Can't wait for the next episode.

• Love 1

Yeah, I agree with everybody else so far. Great first episode. Yes, cheesy as Hell but by now, we all know it's supposed to be. I'm one of those who actually preferred "Army of Darkness" precisely because it was so campy. This series looks to be following in that great tradition. The only thing that could be better is if Anthony Stewart Head showed up in an episode. Cause......:)

• Love 5

This is a glorious mess of a show. So cheesy and campy, yet has good scares, good makeup, and bad acting. Perfect for the channel that once had Spartacus.

I hope that future episodes, under the other director, can hold up to the pilot. Plus, I want to know about LL's character.

• Love 2

According to several of the approximately 50,000 articles I read in the run-up to this (I was excited), the rights to AoD are a huge, tangled mess, and they couldn't get permission to use anything from that continuity, including S-Mart. ED2 is owned by a different, more agreeable company, so that's fair game. So they're planning to avoid directly referencing AoD and just imply that, along with all the ED/ED2 fun in the woods, Ash had a big, traumatic experience that he doesn't want to talk about. And that's fair in-universe, I think. Mentioning demon-monsters is tricky enough when you can show people evidence like possessed little old ladies. Start talking about time travel and leading medieval armies and troops of killer skeletons, and it's off to the State Home for the Bewildered.

I'm pretty sure the term "Deadite" wasn't used until AoD, though, so I'm not sure what kind of work-around lets them use that. Copyright law is chaos.

• Love 2

The demon doll reminded me of a particularly memorable scene in AoD, which is pretty impressive if they're intentionally avoiding direct references to that movie. It's good that they were true to the campy tone of AoD, though. I think it makes the horror more disturbing.

Edited by Liqidclark
  • Love 1

According to several of the approximately 50,000 articles I read in the run-up to this (I was excited), the rights to AoD are a huge, tangled mess, and they couldn't get permission to use anything from that continuity, including S-Mart. ED2 is owned by a different, more agreeable company, so that's fair game. So they're planning to avoid directly referencing AoD and just imply that, along with all the ED/ED2 fun in the woods, Ash had a big, traumatic experience that he doesn't want to talk about. And that's fair in-universe, I think. Mentioning demon-monsters is tricky enough when you can show people evidence like possessed little old ladies. Start talking about time travel and leading medieval armies and troops of killer skeletons, and it's off to the State Home for the Bewildered.

I'm pretty sure the term "Deadite" wasn't used until AoD, though, so I'm not sure what kind of work-around lets them use that. Copyright law is chaos.

"Deadite" is first used at the end of Evil Dead 2, when Ash is sent back in time. In fact, assuming the issue is legalities over the rights to AOD, there isn't much to worry about in regard to referencing AOD, with the exception of S-Mart.

If they can use anything from Evil Dead / Evil Dead 2, we already see Ash get sent back in time and be predicted to be their savior...After ash shoots the demon in the past, they say "Hail he who has come from the skies to deliver us from the terrors of the deadites!". So as long as they don't say any proper names (Duke Henry, Sheila, S-Mart), they should be able to reference basically what happened in AOD.

Not quite as good as the first episode, but some really great moments. Especially the end. 

"You know they were Jewish, right?"

"I did not." Awkward moment. "Really wish you could've said something when I was making the dumb crosses."

Anyone want to take odds that Kelly is a Deadite already?

• Love 4

I'm a bit confused though - in the films didn't people's decapitated heads remain animated, and bites/injuries inflicted by the deadites open up the victims to possession? It seems as if the rules have changed somewhat.

The first episode left me a little underwhelmed (love the characters, but something felt not quite clicking), but this one I loved. More cohesive, ridiculous gore, and fantastic one liners. May not be the exact wording, but "We have a lot in common. Our lives have been ruined by the Deadites, and we're both super hot." (after punching mom in the face, and she shows her true colors) "Thank god. I was starting to feel like an asshole." YES! Love love love Ash, even with the man-girdle. 

• Love 2