Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Rhondinella

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Juliegirlj said:

6000 feet altitude is fairly high- mountain sickness can come on with no warning at any time- wouldn’t it be funny if some of them couldn’t tolerate the high altitudes and they had to scrap their plans and move lower?! 

Those high altitudes won’t help Janelle’s low energy! 

The air is thinner because air pressure is lower and the oxygen molecules are not being pushed together like they are at lower altitude. Makes it much, much harder for oxygen to enter the vascular (circulatory) system and can result in hypoxia (oxygen deprivation). That happens even at rest and is amplified by exertion of any/every kind. When it comes to breathing we're built to function best at sea level.

When the nurse puts the O2 sensor on your finger it measures how much/what percentage of oxygen is available in your blood to be transported where it needs to go (which is everywhere). When your O2 saturation is low the brain tells the heart to pump faster to get more oxygen up in here. Now add hauling around as many extra pounds as Janelle is to that scenario. 

High altitude living is beneficial for the heart because it's a muscular organ that works harder for its oxygen. An involuntary cardio workout. The lungs and the heart are two different systems, so pick your poison. 

I have emphysema and function fairly well with just a few limitations at 2,000 feet where I live, the same altitude as Vegas. Went to my HS reunion at 7,000 feet and struggled to get through the weekend. I lived at that altitude for 25 years but that ended 30 years ago and any benefit is long gone. The exertion of taking a shower made me short of breath, blow-drying my hair made me short of breath, one flight of stairs made me scary short of breath. It was a real eye opener.

I can see Janelle being less active in Flag (I know, I know) and not letting on as to why. The less she moves the less she'll be able to move, AKA a self-fulfilling prophecy. 

Edited by suomi · Reason: typo
  • Like 1
  • Useful 11
  • Surprise 2

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Looks like 4 grave plots.  👻

They need to keep their eyes on Robyn and if she offers you a drink... Maybe trip and spill it.

Maybe this is how Kody is planning for the future?  He already has burial plots for the wives?  

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

Just got home from a ski trip to Arapahoe Basin- over 13,000 feet at the summit. I am relatively fit and about 1/2 Janelle’s size and I was exhausted! Fitness level cannot prevent altitude sickness but may help how one aclimates to it. I’m betting at least a few of the Browns have a problem with it. 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Mountaintop gardening? She makes it sound like she's in the Himalayas, over-dramatic as always. Anyways, if she's worried about frost, she could always build a greenhouse. I wonder if that ever even occurred to her, or if the task just seems too daunting. 

True.  You cover them when it is going to be frost and you can have a full growing season, in which you can grow just about anything.  Gardening for food is time consuming and you have to be willing to work on it daily.  Weeding has to be done daily or it will take over your garden.  Watering, fertilizing and picking off bugs that will destroy your plants.  My dad had a decent sized garden and We had at least 1,000 pounds of produce every year.  Tomato's ( at least 5 types ), onions, garlic, peppers of various types, summer squash, okra, green beans, pinto beans, potatoes, corn, lettuce, greens, radishes, carrots, melons.  There were also fruit trees.  We always ate good most of the summer.  

  • Like 6
  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Regarding the garden:

96E3A54C-38DF-4B38-9F9B-A845BCFF8C5B.jpeg

Homesteading? Altitude sickness? Aww HELL NO! 

This move seems dumber by the minute!

Edited by Gothish520
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I guess she does not understand the definition of homesteading huh?  

I guess we will have a new show to gag  watch over.  I can see it now, Meri goes blind due to the prairie plague, Janelle forages in the forest for pine cones because they are the new "rock star" of digestion, Christine gets stuck down the well and Robyn, who watches everyone like a hawk sells her joorly at Olson Mercantile

 image.png.faa6c277fac2c1d05357a1054d482c07.png

This is absolutely brilliant!  Wish there was a "LOVE" button, I'd smash it over and over!!

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

What do our resident gardener snarkers think about her choice to grown greens, herbs, and whatever else will grow? I live near the coast in the south, and I stick to growing tomatoes. Collards is a fall planting here. I think lettuce is spring.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

True.  You cover them when it is going to be frost and you can have a full growing season, in which you can grow just about anything.  Gardening for food is time consuming and you have to be willing to work on it daily.  Weeding has to be done daily or it will take over your garden.  Watering, fertilizing and picking off bugs that will destroy your plants.  My dad had a decent sized garden and We had at least 1,000 pounds of produce every year.  Tomato's ( at least 5 types ), onions, garlic, peppers of various types, summer squash, okra, green beans, pinto beans, potatoes, corn, lettuce, greens, radishes, carrots, melons.  There were also fruit trees.  We always ate good most of the summer.  

10 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

What do our resident gardener snarkers think about her choice to grown greens, herbs, and whatever else will grow? I live near the coast in the south, and I stick to growing tomatoes. Collards is a fall planting here. I think lettuce is spring.

* Same here--I grew up in a homestead type lifestyle with a huge garden and an apple orchard. We never went to the store for veggies and canned/froze the extras. We also hunted for meat and fished at the nearby trout stream. 

* The growing season may be shorter due to elevation, but it's not that bad. I live at around 4,000 feet in AZ and lettuce/leafy greens definitely do better in the cooler months but we need to be careful as it does freeze and snow up here. I think the elevation in Flag may  help with leafy greens growing in summer, at lower elevations in AZ they fry in the heat (same with tomatoes, when it reaches 120 degrees even in the shade, they burst). Many veggies will probably do well up there but it is admittedly more difficult in desert-y environment. Every creature out there is after your stuff because lush greens are scarce, especially in rural areas. Flag may be more forgiving for its elevation and higher precipitation, but where there are greens, the creatures will come. 

If I were Janelle, I'd build a greenhouse with raised beds and grow year-round as well as having her outdoor garden. She'll have to assess the critter situation as she goes. There's also hydroponics to consider. 

I don't know if Janelle is up for the challenge as she says, she says lots of things and then never does them (like exercise).

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Like 2
  • Useful 8

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

What do our resident gardener snarkers think about her choice to grown greens, herbs, and whatever else will grow? I live near the coast in the south, and I stick to growing tomatoes. Collards is a fall planting here. I think lettuce is spring.

She’s in a tough place to grow stuff. Some people do have very nice gardens, but you have to be dedicated. It’s not like other places I’ve lived and I plant greens in the spring, tomatoes/peppers for the summer and everything grows without much effort. The last frost day is around 6/15 and the first is 9/1, so a short season   

The first month of the growing season is usually very dry and the sun is strong. Those greens planted early wilt quickly and the tomatoes/peppers are stressed. Monsoon season comes and there’s plentiful rain. Everything grows like crazy. Then you realize all the beautiful tomatoes are still all green and a hard frost is already in the forecast. I know there are ways that lengthen the season but they take time, effort and planning. 

  • Useful 9

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, New2this said:

She’s in a tough place to grow stuff. Some people do have very nice gardens, but you have to be dedicated. It’s not like other places I’ve lived and I plant greens in the spring, tomatoes/peppers for the summer and everything grows without much effort. The last frost day is around 6/15 and the first is 9/1, so a short season   

The first month of the growing season is usually very dry and the sun is strong. Those greens planted early wilt quickly and the tomatoes/peppers are stressed. Monsoon season comes and there’s plentiful rain. Everything grows like crazy. Then you realize all the beautiful tomatoes are still all green and a hard frost is already in the forecast. I know there are ways that lengthen the season but they take time, effort and planning. 

Undaunted, Janelle will blog about "when life hands you green tomatoes recipes"

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

56 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Undaunted, Janelle will blog about "when life hands you green tomatoes recipes"

It'll probably go something like this: "My tomatoes didn't ripen this year but luckily there are lots of delicious recipes out there for green tomatoes. Google them yourself."

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 23

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Regarding the garden:

96E3A54C-38DF-4B38-9F9B-A845BCFF8C5B.jpeg

I honestly don't think Janelle has a clue about what modern homesteading is.  I grew up in an agricultural rural area (Pennsylvania) and I live rural now.  I live a scaled down version of homesteading, although not that long ago I wanted a full on, off grid lifestyle.  I have spent years learning the various skills and gaining the knowledge to live in my area.  I have a lifetime of animal husbandry and 15 years of chicken keeping and know my growing area to expert level.

I really don't know what her limitations will be in their area, but from seeing it on the show everything is very sparse.  It looks like the plant life isn't very diverse and with nothing really lush and green I suspect the soil isn't very hospitable to a variety of garden vegetables, so raised beds and constant soil amendments are going to be the only way to get vegetables that she recognizes to grow.  Constant winds will suck moisture out of plants and sudden temperature changes within the growing season is going to be very limiting.  I honestly don't have a clue if altitude affects garden plants, but looking at houses etc, gardens don't look lush and diverse.

There are plenty of things to be planting now, but it comes down to how big of a temperature difference you can have, small cold frames and greenhouse/polytunnel structures can even this out but have to be monitored constantly every day to keep from overheating when it's sunny/warm. Gardening on a "feeding your family consistent level" is way more than buying a tomato plant from Home Depot and sticking it in some dirt from a bag.

  • Like 9
  • Useful 5

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Step one of a community garden here, today. Janelle would have been a pain in the ass, this I know!

0C559F08-5505-49D3-BAEE-5F1CD29881C5.jpeg

During one of my virtual Mapquest missions over Flagstaff I noted that the town has some sort of community garden, also. I wonder if any of the Brownies will volunteer some of their time and effort to it?  😛 

  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

Vacation?  FROM WHAT?  Her whole freakin' life's a vacation.  Must be nice.

On second thought, I wouldn't trade lives with J or any of the other wives, for anything.  To have to "keep sweet" and have Kootie visits periodically?  Uh-uh.

@ginger90, thanks for keeping this old gal up to the shenanigans of Kootie and the Gang.  Every time I type that, it makes me think of Kool and the Gang, or Hootie and the Blowfish.  Yep, I'm that old!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

@ginger90 Every time I type that, it makes me think of Kool and the Gang, or Hootie and the Blowfish.  Yep, I'm that old!

My friend calls them  "Kootie and the Blowjob Fish"   😛

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 7
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

I was bored this weekend and had Season 2 and 3 on in the background.  When they 1st moved to Vegas they each got funds to redo one room in their house.  Christine and Robyn did their bedrooms and Janelle and Meri did their living rooms.  Janelle got that black 'leather' chair at that time!  So it  has been destroyed in what, 7-8 years??!  I do not want to think about how their rentals looked after just one year of wear and tear.  That family doesn't seem to care for any of their stuff.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

That's pretty funny.  I think that my initial reaction when I hear that people are traveling, especially with several people, is how do you afford that?  I mean, I have to really budget for trips. Do you know what a hotel cost?  It's pricey, even for budget places, it's not cheap.  Who can afford to just take a trip with all the expenses they have???? Boggles the mind.  I always get confused when people that I know are always seeming to poor mouth.  This is a term from my region that describes people who are always whining about how much their mortgage is, how high the auto repair bill was, how much they pay for cable, phone, food, etc.  You would think they are destitute, but, the next thing you know they are beach bound for the week!!!!  I don't get it. 

But, hopefully, Gabe enjoyed himself.  Poor kid got the raw end of that moving deal. I hope he's not as miserable as he thought he'd be.  

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post

Savannah might just be the prettiest Brown girl, IMO.  As long as she doesn't dye her gorgeous blonde hair the color of mud like her sisters.

"Hello, my lovelies?"  Really, Janelle?  That's SO not you.  Stop dipping into Christine's med stash.  Just because she doesn't need them at the moment doesn't mean you should be mixing them into your "light meat dishes."

@Mahamid Frauded Me...well done!  And likely FAR closer to Janelle's true life.

  • Like 9
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

There is a definite Brown look, imo.  It seems that most of the kids have it with their blonde hair, blue eyes, nice teeth, etc.  I'd use it to the fullest extent possible. (Not ruin it with muddy or stark dark colors.)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

poor mouth

I thought you were going to say it referred to people who spend and spend on trips and junk, but not the dentist (Meri).

Edited by deirdra
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

8 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

143E02A8-46BC-4162-A04A-BBA103D44780.jpeg

C25F6BA0-A7A0-4981-A99E-E4B40D540770.jpeg

I'm happy for Janelle that she has the resources to travel to NC and bring her mom down from Utah to care for Savanah while she's gone.  There is nothing quite like one on one time with grandchildren and I hope for Janelle's sake, she eventually finds her way to an effective diet and exercise program so she will be around to know the joy of great-grands. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Grandma time is important.  That's for sure. So, she'll be in Greenville.  It's a rural medium size town with a huge student population of college, dental and medical schools.  I attended college there many years ago and haven't gone back, but, once since I graduated. For me, it wasn't all that, but, it's likely changed since I was there.  Maybe, Caleb can get work in the triangle Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area.  It's so much better, imo.  I am curious as to what Janelle will think of it. There are MANY, MANY trees there. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Grandma time is important.  That's for sure. So, she'll be in Greenville.  It's a rural medium size town with a huge student population of college, dental and medical schools.  I attended college there many years ago and haven't gone back, but, once since I graduated. For me, it wasn't all that, but, it's likely changed since I was there.  Maybe, Caleb can get work in the triangle Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area.  It's so much better, imo.  I am curious as to what Janelle will think of it. There are MANY, MANY trees there

There are trees there?!?!?!   Are you sure?   I thought trees only grew in Flagstaff...  

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 12
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Savannah might just be the prettiest Brown girl, IMO.  As long as she doesn't dye her gorgeous blonde hair the color of mud like her sisters.

"Hello, my lovelies?"  Really, Janelle?  That's SO not you.  Stop dipping into Christine's med stash.  Just because she doesn't need them at the moment doesn't mean you should be mixing them into your "light meat dishes." 

@Mahamid Frauded Me...well done!  And likely FAR closer to Janelle's true life.

Amen to that--- but the "hello, my lovelies" seems like it would go with Robyn, because her profile when she is sitting on the couch with Kody and the other 3 reminds my of the Wicked Witch of the West.   I cracked up reading the original post but the parody by @Mahamid Frauded Me  had me laughing so hard I nearly choked to death, and it sent the cat into hiding.

2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Grandma time is important.  That's for sure. So, she'll be in Greenville.  It's a rural medium size town with a huge student population of college, dental and medical schools.  I attended college there many years ago and haven't gone back, but, once since I graduated. For me, it wasn't all that, but, it's likely changed since I was there.  Maybe, Caleb can get work in the triangle Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area.  It's so much better, imo.  I am curious as to what Janelle will think of it. There are MANY, MANY trees there. 

I copied this to reply, and halfway through the reply I realized my comment was referring to Greenville, South Carolina instead of Greenville, NC.  I started to write a  new response, and then I realized my comments were referring to Greensboro not Greenville, NC so they are further from Raleigh-Durham than I thought.   According to Wikipedia, it must have improved a lot since you were there.   I grew up visiting cousins in Raleigh and Chapel Hill so I have a fondness for the area, and I do think it might be a better fit for them later on unless they have a preference for a smaller town.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, tabloidlover said:

There are trees there?!?!?!   Are you sure?   I thought trees only grew in Flagstaff...  

Only the trees that sing like angels are in Flagstaff.  There are trees everywhere, but they are just... trees.  No singingk.

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 14

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, Greenville, NC is quite a distance from Greensboro.  They have a UNC school there, too, but, not as large as ECU.  One good thing about it, is that it's located about 87 miles from Raleigh and about the same distance from Atlantic Beach.  So, a day trip to the beach is pretty easy.  It's cold now, but, on some warm days, the beach would be nice. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Im watching season 4 for the first time and I feel that it was bullshit that Ko-douche only took Jenelle 20 mins away from their house and on a walk during the dates episode.  Okay, he took Christine on a helicopter ride and paintballing and then out to ice cream.  Meri got her ski trip.  Even if Jennelle is low maintenance, Ko-Douche is a lazy, cheap bastard. 

Edited by Gennacide · Reason: Added the ice cream date
  • Like 8
  • Laugh 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Wow, she looks so happy...it's good to see Janelle lit up like that.  She sure loves her grandbaby.  😊

Too bad she's never seemed that happy or excited about her own children.  

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Gennacide said:

Im watching season 4 for the first time and I feel that it was bullshit that Ko-douche only took Jenelle 20 mins away from their house and on a walk during the dates episode.  Okay, he took Christine on a helicopter ride and paintballing and then out to ice cream.  Meri got her ski trip.  Even if Jennelle is low maintenance, Ko-Douche is a lazy, cheap bastard. 

What has always bothered me about the dating trips is that the wives act as those it’s so awesome Kody takes them out for fun but they never realize that he is the lucky one because he gets to go on four trips while they each get to go on one. He will always get to have more, do more, see more because he gets to do it four times. It’s like how is name is on all the new properties. He is the one making out in the end. He holds all the power and gets all the benefits, including always having a wife to make him feel special when he is in a disagreement with another wife. 

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post

 He will always get to have more, do more,see more because he gets to do it four times.

Hence, love should be multiplied!

  • Like 8
  • Laugh 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, Twopper said:

I copied this to reply, and halfway through the reply I realized my comment was referring to Greenville, South Carolina instead of Greenville, NC.  I started to write a  new response, and then I realized my comments were referring to Greensboro not Greenville, NC so they are further from Raleigh-Durham than I thought.   According to Wikipedia, it must have improved a lot since you were there.   I grew up visiting cousins in Raleigh and Chapel Hill so I have a fondness for the area, and I do think it might be a better fit for them later on unless they have a preference for a smaller town.

I happen to be in Greenville South Carolina as I type this (well, Simpsonville actually), visiting family. 

I just found out on the news that there is a Greenville NC too, and here you mention it!  

Is that where Caleb and Maddie live ?  Wait till Janelle discovers Waffle House (yummmm). 

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

I happen to be in Greenville South Carolina as I type this (well, Simpsonville actually), visiting family. 

I just found out on the news that there is a Greenville NC too, and here you mention it!  

Is that where Caleb and Maddie live ?  Wait till Janelle discovers Waffle House (yummmm). 

What has three teeth and eight boobs???? 

The night crew at Waffle House.

Edited by Kyanight
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/20/2019 at 12:51 PM, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Ha, I could not resist - i was already on it !!

image.png.906116bcb879462abdeccb0343847271.png

The snark!! 😂😂😂 I can't breathe!! 🤣

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/20/2019 at 10:37 PM, ginger90 said:

809A639C-ABF1-4038-84FB-C885E527E1D2.jpeg

4E32C61F-EBD8-42DF-A518-08506E368E99.jpeg

06B8EA84-BE60-4F70-9FF8-1BE8A83978B7.jpeg

Exactly what kind of “work travel” do you do, Janelle?  Enlighten us. Are you referring to trips paid for by TLC for your stupid show?  Oh how stressful, boo-freaking-hoo. 

I’m feeling extra salty on this topic because I’m on an actual business trip right now. Took me 34 hours to get here, I got to sleep for 3 hours and then I had to get up and go to work. It’s a 12.5 hour time difference, I can’t sleep because day and night are reversed, and you know what, Janelle?  No one cares if I’m centered in my body, I’m here to do a job. You and your whining can go pound sand. 

I’ve been loving all the great snark, though. You guys have made me laugh when nothing else could, that’s for sure!

  • Like 16
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

In Janelle's post up the page a bit she said she was staying with Axel while Maddie was away on a work trip. I do believe she is referring to Maddie going on her first LLNo cruise. It is that time of year !!! and IIRC Meri referred to it not too long ago. There are different categories and I can't see Maddie qualifying for the Incentive Cruise but there are others also, including one that is happening March 24-31. 

  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

Do the consultants have to pay for their own cruise?  Is this something they are pressured into attending or is it a reward for shilling the most crap?

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

The top-seller incentive cruise is free and includes lots of training - the transportation to and from is a business expense/tax deductible. 

Now, after reading some more online, I'm not so sure about there being other types of LLR cruises - but I can't figure out where else Maddie would be going for a week related to business. Maybe new-rep training takes place on dry land somewhere? 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Found this:

LuLaRoe covers the cost of the ship and the tip. Everything else you have to pay for. Airfare, excursions, drinks, and food beyond the free options, are all on your dime.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size