Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

"but I can feel the spring energy starting to move"....

She is aware that we are not even a month past the winter solstice, right?  That spring is still months off?  That this is just the beginning of winter?  Wait until she sees her first real blizzard. 

• Love 14

I get the feeling that Janelle would really love to go out to eat, or order take-out, pretty much every day. Many, many times I've seen her mention "this is better than going out or ordering in". 

Is preparing pre-cooked stuff from a bag really that big of a deal? She had to talk herself into doing just THAT much? I bet before she started this Strive crapola (and on the many days she doesn't show us pictures of her meals) she's hitting the drive-thru's and she's hitting them HARD.

And as far as it being better...eh, sometimes yes, sometimes no. I've made some pretty calorie-laden stuff at home, I might have gotten something healthier by going out! ;-)

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

"but I can feel the spring energy starting to move"....

She is aware that we are not even a month past the winter solstice, right?  That spring is still months off?  That this is just the beginning of winter?  Wait until she sees her first real blizzard. 

She’s going to be miserable when it snows in May. 

• Love 13

Seems Janelle's ideal life is to lie on the couch all day, have Uber Eats or Grub Hub on her phone and have a continuous delivery of food all day long.  She can then fall asleep on the couch in a food coma and do the same thing the next day.  Her exercise would be getting up to answer the door and going to the bathroom.  Maybe she does do some of that, but, of course wouldn't post it.  If I posted carefully about my daily life, y'all would think I am a fitness queen, have an immaculate house, am caught up on my quilting, cook heart healthy meals every night and top it all off with reading an important book before I go to bed.   Except we all know that is Not True!!!  But I could put snippets out and it would appear so.

• Love 13
17 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

I get the feeling that Janelle would really love to go out to eat, or order take-out, pretty much every day. Many, many times I've seen her mention "this is better than going out or ordering in". 

Is preparing pre-cooked stuff from a bag really that big of a deal? She had to talk herself into doing just THAT much? I bet before she started this Strive crapola (and on the many days she doesn't show us pictures of her meals) she's hitting the drive-thru's and she's hitting them HARD.

And as far as it being better...eh, sometimes yes, sometimes no. I've made some pretty calorie-laden stuff at home, I might have gotten something healthier by going out! ;-)

I suspect they eat out/order in a LOT, especially if that brisket is a big deal to her. Brisket isn't exactly a great choice, there are hundreds of calories in just 3 ounces. She believes what she wants to believe, if it's a fat laden slab of meat eaten at home--but clearly made by someone else ready to heat--it must be healthier (that stir fry also probably made it "okay").

I cannot believe she has a business selling "health". This sad sack looks like an idiot even to those marginally familiar with health/fitness. 

• Love 11
On 12/13/2018 at 11:17 PM, Yeah No said:

I don't think you need a special bowl and whisk to make the tea, just use your own bowl and whisk or stir it good.  I've been buying matcha powder for years at a Japanese market.  I started buying it to make my own green tea ice cream using vanilla ice cream since I couldn't find green tea ice cream like you get in a Japanese restaurant in stores for a long time (I find it in the supermarket now), but this way I can make it low fat if I want using low fat vanilla frozen yogurt.  It's very good!

Our Grocery Outlet (bargain grocery) has matcha.  I have not priced it but I know they have it.

• Love 2
On 12/31/2018 at 3:48 PM, xwordfanatik said:

My Christmas tree is a mishmash of old and newer.  I have some ornaments from my childhood, that are over 50 years old.  My lights are the old-fashioned but updated kind that are, what is it?  LED or something!  I put it up sometime after the first of December, and leave it up until New Year's Day.  So tomorrow will find me taking it down, and missing it for a week or two.  

Nope, I couldn't do a trendy tree a la Pinterest.  BTT, are Janelle's sons Hunter and Garrison still in the military career path?  

When I put the ornaments on the tree they are all sorts from super old to new.  I have most of my parents stuff from the 50s.  Since I have a fairly young cat it was just a tree with lights and garland.  She was a good girl so next year there MAY be ornaments.  I am one of those weird people where I will put the tree up around the 2nd week of Dec but that puppy is coming down on 12/26.  I would take it down on 12/25 if Mr. Natalie would let me.  HA!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

When I put the ornaments on the tree they are all sorts from super old to new.  I have most of my parents stuff from the 50s.  Since I have a fairly young cat it was just a tree with lights and garland.  She was a good girl so next year there MAY be ornaments.  I am one of those weird people where I will put the tree up around the 2nd week of Dec but that puppy is coming down on 12/26.  I would take it down on 12/25 if Mr. Natalie would let me.  HA!

Our tree is down by the afternoon of Christmas.  I love to have it and put it up but it’s down on the 25th.  

• Love 3

We keep our tree up until Epiphany as that's technically the last day of Christmas.  We have a fake tree and leave the ornaments and lights on it when we put it away.  I put large plastic garbage bags over it fully trimmed and slide it in the box.  When we take it out the next year it only takes 15 minutes to fix anything that's sagged or fallen off while sliding it out of the box and putting it up again.  It's truly the lazy person's way of handling a Christmas tree, but at our age we have to find shortcuts.  I feel like I'm cheating because the tree seriously looks like someone spent hours trimming it!  Janelle should think about doing something like that.  

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

We keep our tree up until Epiphany as that's technically the last day of Christmas.  

Ditto although my sister has hers up until Ground Hog Day!

If Janell can't even get it up due to ennui, I can't fathom when she'd be able to rouse herself to take it down.  Maybe she just throws a sheet over the half finished project the rest of the year.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Ya know, she sounds very depressed compounded with carrying around the weight.  Strive isn't cutting it.

I think she is out of her element.  I think she would rather be back in an office working.  Can't blame her.  Knowing how much your paycheck is going to be every week.

• Love 7

Again with the Eeyore comments.  Good grief, Flagstaff gets  an hour more of daylight this time of year than I do but I'm not spending $200 on some light - I get outside even when it's overcast and suck it up for free.

• Love 7

OK, so regarding the "happy light"...I finally purchased one this past November for $50 at Bed Bath & Beyond (actually $40 with my coupon).  SAD is no joke, I've had it in a thankfully mild version for years.  I sit in front of the light every morning while having coffee before work.  I also started taking vitamin D3 on a co-worker's advice (I live in Michigan).  I can't say for sure if the light worked for me or if I just got used to the lack of daylight, OR if I've been okay because (knock on wood) so far we've had an extremely mild winter and I have been able to walk outside after work nearly every day if I bundle up enough.

But regarding Janelle's use of the light - based on the crap she's posted so far, I have to believe that this is just another "fad" for her to try.  I don't think sitting in front of a light is going to change anything for her because she doesn't want to change.  You can't just plug something in or eat/drink something for a couple of days and expect a miracle.  I guess her use of the light bothers me because it is in fact useful, but I'm so over her throwing some random "solution" out to her sycophants as if she knows what she's talking about.

/rant

• Love 13
11 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

I think she is out of her element.  I think she would rather be back in an office working.  Can't blame her.  Knowing how much your paycheck is going to be every week.

Yeah, possibly--when she left Kody and was on her own, she seemed to be doing well. Going back seems to have sucked out most of her brain cells. 

• Love 5

I live in Western Pennsylvania where we have 100 sunny days a year(sometimes less).  Overcast and "partly cloudy" is the norm here.  Many years ago I recognized I had issues with SAD for most of my life.  As a professional Baker,  October thru December were the busiest time for me and so I didn't notice issues because I was always just too distracted with Holiday baking.  However on the other end, January through March I have always had issues.  Long before daylight bulbs were the norm I bought a daylight spectrum crafting light and started using that as my desk light and noticed that I was getting through the winter better than before.  Recently I have replaced my kitchen lights with daylight spectrum lighting as well as living spaces etc and for the past two winters I haven't had any issues so in my mind that's success.  Nothing scientific...

I've been dealing with this for years...and I can say with my experience that it doesn't happen overnight.  It's a gradual process.  If you have a headache and take an ibuprofen you feel a result pretty quickly.  If you feel sluggish and sit in front of a light for an hour...I honestly can't imagine having some miraculous recovery...but it's Janelle we are talking about here.  She discovers a "rock star" miracle cure every day!!

• Love 14

"So I've been living in Flagstaff for 5 minutes and I just realized that it snows here.  Like kind of a lot.  Like so much that my sister-wife Christine sometimes spends the entire day outside with her snowblower trying to destroy that quarter-inch of devil's dandruff!  And lately, I have been noticing that when I get up from the couch to pour myself a cup of butter, nutmeg and molasses coffee, I actually sliiiiiide off the couch, somewhat like a slug.  It's like my knees no longer work!  But then, I purchased the most expensive Happy Light offered on Amazon!  And let me tell you, it's a rock star!  I sit in front of it for two minutes every morning and I feel like I could run a marathon!  I don't, of course, because I still can't find my running shoes.  But if I could find them?  I would outrun Meri trying to catch a bus to Parowan!  With this light, I am only partially sleepy throughout the day and in the morning it only takes Savannah three tries to wake me up to drive her to school instead of the usual eleven.  So while I was initially reluctant because nothing ever seems to work for me, this light is a winner when I remember to plug it in and turn it on!"

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 24
On 1/8/2019 at 6:20 PM, Sasha888 said:

I stopped eating fast food years ago and my husband and I eat at restaurants maybe once every couple of months - yet my weight still goes up and down. It is just as easy to eat crappy at home as it is out!

On 1/9/2019 at 9:51 PM, Yeah No said:

We keep our tree up until Epiphany as that's technically the last day of Christmas.  We have a fake tree and leave the ornaments and lights on it when we put it away.  I put large plastic garbage bags over it fully trimmed and slide it in the box.  When we take it out the next year it only takes 15 minutes to fix anything that's sagged or fallen off while sliding it out of the box and putting it up again.  It's truly the lazy person's way of handling a Christmas tree, but at our age we have to find shortcuts.  I feel like I'm cheating because the tree seriously looks like someone spent hours trimming it!  Janelle should think about doing something like that.  

I used to do this when we had only a small tabletop tree, and it was awesome! And did it last year with our bigger tabletop. This year we had to remove the white lights as they stopped working, so we strung some colored lights - but I don't like the colored ones so we removed everything before putting it away. Unfortunately I don't have boxes for the the two big trees, so they have to be stripped, taken apart and stored in tree bags. 

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

"So I've been living in Flagstaff for 5 minutes and I just realized that it snows here.  Like kind of a lot.  Like so much that my sister-wife Christine sometimes spends the entire day outside with her snowblower trying to destroy that quarter-inch of devil's dandruff!  And lately, I have been noticing that when I get up from the couch to pour myself a cup of butter, nutmeg and molasses coffee, I actually sliiiiiide off the couch, somewhat like a slug.  It's like my knees no longer work!  But then, I purchased the most expensive Happy Light offered on Amazon!  And let me tell you, it's a rock star!  I sit in front of it for two minutes every morning and I feel like I could run a marathon!  I don't, of course, because I still can't find my running shoes.  But if I could find them?  I would outrun Meri trying to catch a bus to Parowan!  With this light, I am only partially sleepy throughout the day and in the morning it only takes Savannah three tries to wake me up to drive her to school instead of the usual eleven.  So while I was initially reluctant because nothing ever seems to work for me, this light is a winner when I remember to plug it in and turn it on!"

Janelle is that you????  HA!  

She makes Eyeore seem like the energizer bunny.  As we have gotten to know her better I can understand why she bugs the eff out of Meri.  Meri, while irritating and selfish, gets shit done!  I can also see why Christine and Robyn get along pretty well these days.  Robyn has a pulse and may be able to have fun and Christine is always peppy.  Janelle is just so blah.  

• Love 13
20 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Janelle is that you????  HA!  

She makes Eyeore seem like the energizer bunny.  As we have gotten to know her better I can understand why she bugs the eff out of Meri.  Meri, while irritating and selfish, gets shit done!  I can also see why Christine and Robyn get along pretty well these days.  Robyn has a pulse and may be able to have fun and Christine is always peppy.  Janelle is just so blah.  

Completely agree! All that hemming and hawing would drive me nuts. At least Meri comes in with a plan and a purpose.

Meri and Janelle must have been like oil and water living together, or like the Odd Couple. Felix had his issues and Oscar had his charms, but I'd still rather live with a neat freak than a slob!

• Love 6
6 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I sit in front of the light every morning while having coffee before work.  

That is what it is designed for - people who cannot get outside enough in winter.  What is stopping hardly working Janelle?

• Love 9

Let's review, shall we.  I'm sure I'll forget some stuff but I'll give it a shot.

Since the beginning of December here is a list of some of the rock stars in Janelleland:

1). Citrus fruit in the morning

2). Yoga twisting and turning

3). Miracle grains

4). An update on the nose thing since she was using it wrong

5). Coffee sludge with a million ingredients that includes ghee.  Who knew that people sometimes put  nutmeg in a hot drink.

6). Shopping for Christmas tree decorations, but not really feeling it. So she did her way and called it good.

7). YouTube vids about wrapping presents.

8)  A road trip with a veggie tray.  The veggie tray with an open dip container that will make a big fat mess if you slam on the brakes

9). The energy of spring renewal from longer days.  At the beginning of January.

10). Breathing.  Better still, breathing out of one nostril

11)  A walk in the snow.  I'll give her a pass on this one

12). Stuff in a bag for dinner

13). And today's rock star is....a $200 light for light therapy

I hope Janelle makes an appointment with a real doctor(one with a diploma and everything) for a medical evaluation.  She needs some anti depressants or something.  And I hope she starts therapy.  A real therapist, not a TLC "therapist" .  She is a mess.  And she needs a different line of "work".  The health coach thing?  Not so much.

• Love 17
4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I hope Janelle washed Axel's hands after that...and I would prefer not to have to think about what Janelle was doing when she took that photo.  

And prefer not to think about the fact that she has a phone in the bathroom.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

And prefer not to think about the fact that she has a phone in the bathroom.

I will bring my phone into the bathroom if I'm waiting for a text or call, but the germ factor does creep me out a bit. I know people who will not only scroll through their phone while on the throne, but will even bring a beverage in while doing their business - hell no to that! If I forget that I'm holding a bottle of water or glass of wine and break that plane by even one step, that beverage goes down the drain. 

Yes, I have issues.

• Love 2
On ‎1‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:21 PM, ginger90 said:

So I guess that means she doesn't spend a lot of time Truley, Sol, or Ari? She does have bonus kids who are still young and were babies not that long ago? I guess they were never over or put their hand under the bathroom door?

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I will bring my phone into the bathroom if I'm waiting for a text or call, but the germ factor does creep me out a bit. I know people who will not only scroll through their phone while on the throne, but will even bring a beverage in while doing their business - hell no to that! If I forget that I'm holding a bottle of water or glass of wine and break that plane by even one step, that beverage goes down the drain. 

Yes, I have issues.

I can't tell you how many times I have been in a public restroom and heard women talking on their cell phones while you hear their poop plopping into the toilet water... the toilet paper being torn off and the toilet flushing.  Seriously - doesn't that gross out the person on the other end of the phone?   I'm thinking the majority of the younger generation just doesn't care.  I think it's gross!   

19 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

So I guess that means she doesn't spend a lot of time Truley, Sol, or Ari? She does have bonus kids who are still young and were babies not that long ago? I guess they were never over or put their hand under the bathroom door?

Well... to be fair..... I don't remember a single one of my numerous children poking a hand under the bathroom door!  Maybe it's a polygamous thing?  (Joking!)

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Well... to be fair..... I don't remember a single one of my numerous children poking a hand under the bathroom door!  Maybe it's a polygamous thing?  (Joking!)

Mine just barged right on in if I forgot to lock the door...if I remembered to lock it they'd just violently rattle the handle and yell, "Mom!!  Can I have a juice box/cookie/popsicle?!"

• Love 9
On 1/4/2019 at 12:24 PM, ginger90 said:

EEDC7173-525E-4E41-B959-9D2F871E3FE0.jpeg

CB3A9863-16E2-4019-AD4E-28BD1100974E.jpeg

If breathing is rocking her world, things must be pretty uneventful in the bedroom department. I can’t see Kody rocking anybody’s world.  Ewwwwww!

• Love 9

How in the heck can she ever get bored when she only sticks with anything for about a week??

"Very distracting in a good way" - translated: I am able to completely check out without actually losing consciousness and falling off of my bike

"I think there are other platforms out there offering this" - translated: I'm too lazy to look, why don't you do it yourself if you're so &$^#  interested??

"but none that I have access to" - translated: I'm on the couch now, if you don't mind just leaving me alone, and also I don't really care.

"This just reinvigorated my desire to get riding!" - translated: for today, that is.  I'm bored with this post already.  I wonder if I have any Fritos left in the bathroom....

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 20

Oh, lawdy, what a game changer!  What insight!   What original thoughts and ideas!  Something to rock her world!

Like this hasn't been said by every inspirational fitness guru about ten million times.  Man, this is just getting old.  I certainly hope no one actually pays her for this drivel.

• Love 10
On 1/15/2019 at 7:29 AM, Kyanight said:

I can't tell you how many times I have been in a public restroom and heard women talking on their cell phones while you hear their poop plopping into the toilet water... the toilet paper being torn off and the toilet flushing.  Seriously - doesn't that gross out the person on the other end of the phone?   I'm thinking the majority of the younger generation just doesn't care.  I think it's gross!   

My cat does this all the time if the door is closed.  It is easier to just leave it open.  Drives me nuts hearing her beg to come in.  What do they think is going on?  I am having a party and excluding her and her brother?  HA!

I HATE people speaking on the phone in the public bathroom.  It is so gross!  

• Love 10
34 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Hopefully she follows Meri's example and uses this as an opportunity for a good shoveling workout.................

Nah. She'll sit by the fire and find a new struggle to write about. 

If her phone is within arms reach, she will text Christine to come on over and give her new snowblower a workout.

• Love 6