Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Rhondinella

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Why are they taking pictures of the house while she is still living there? Is this normal? It seems incredibly intuitive. 

It does seem intrusive but it may have been a condition of her lease when she first rented.  It's usually worded something like...with 24 hours notice to the tenant, the property may be show to prospective purchasers and realtors may be allowed access for the purpose of assessing the property...Having showings while the property is occupied means less risk to the landlord of having the property sit empty and not generating income.  If she is on a lease, the occupancy date for new purchaser could be coordinated to the end of Janelle's lease.

If she was originally on a lease that has now expired, she may be on a month to month rental agreement with similar terms and conditions written into the rental agreement.

In this instance though, if I were the landlord here I would wait until Janelle vacated, giving the owner an opportunity to clean, repair, and paint where needed.  The $1,000 +/- that she is paying in rent plus the cost of rehabbing is peanuts compared to what a prospective buyer would deduct from a purchase price given the condition of the property.

Property values must have skyrocketed in Flagstaff this past year.  It makes Robyn's nest at $900,000 seem like a great investment if the realtor and owner think this place is worth anywhere near $700,000.

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post

12 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I probably wouldn't worry about doing anything to make the house look better if the owner was selling it while I was renting either. On that one I can't blame Janelle at all.  How many of her sons are living with her?  Two?  

Unless the rental situation has changed a great deal this past year, rentals are scarce in Flagstaff.  The first thing I would do as a prospective landlord to Janelle would be to check out her previous rental, one look at how she had disrespected this home would cause me to shuffle her application to the bottom of the pile.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Digestion issues, ya know.

Sickening mental image. Tyvm.

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Sandy W said:

It does seem intrusive but it may have been a condition of her lease when she first rented.  It's usually worded something like...with 24 hours notice to the tenant, the property may be show to prospective purchasers and realtors may be allowed access for the purpose of assessing the property...Having showings while the property is occupied means less risk to the landlord of having the property sit empty and not generating income.  If she is on a lease, the occupancy date for new purchaser could be coordinated to the end of Janelle's lease.

If she was originally on a lease that has now expired, she may be on a month to month rental agreement with similar terms and conditions written into the rental agreement.

In this instance though, if I were the landlord here I would wait until Janelle vacated, giving the owner an opportunity to clean, repair, and paint where needed.  The $1,000 +/- that she is paying in rent plus the cost of rehabbing is peanuts compared to what a prospective buyer would deduct from a purchase price given the condition of the property.

Property values must have skyrocketed in Flagstaff this past year.  It makes Robyn's nest at $900,000 seem like a great investment if the realtor and owner think this place is worth anywhere near $700,000.

Janelle is paying at least $2800 a month. That's how much it was listed for in 2019. 

  • Useful 1
  • Surprise 9

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Janelle is paying at least $2800 a month. That's how much it was listed for in 2019. 

I thought my $1,000+/-  figure was low but had no idea she was paying that much for rent !  No wonder they have money concerns, many families live on less than that each month including groceries.  Flagstaff sounds like a very expensive place to live.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Given the current real estate bubble, I suspect the owner can sell it for half again as much as it was worth when Janelle rented it.  And not have to worry about tenants.  

If I were Christine, I'd sell the house and move closer to Mykelti and live in an apartment or a condo or something else small and cheap and pocket/invest the surplus; that may be the only income she has to live on after the show is over.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Twopper said:

It's either a Squatty Potty or a step-n-go.  With her complaints about digestion, I am not surprised she has one, but I am horrified it is included in the picture.  I know about them as my daughter and SIL received one as  a gag gift from some friends.

Janelle moved from her first rental to be close to two wives, one of whom later moved.  Both Meri and Robyn had houses sold out from under them.  I am wondering if any of the three owners offered to sell the houses to them.  My theory is that they wanted to get rid of the Browns as tenants, possibly because the neighbors complained about filming or about Brown behavior.  There was a scene at Robyn's one time and they showed all the cars in front of and down the street from her rental.  Janelle said that her landlord was okay with her moving--and, presumably, breaking the lease--but my theory at the time was that she was asked to leave.

I always suspected that was the real reason Meri's first rental was "repossessed," for lack of a better term.  

I thought it was very little to do with polygamy and more to do with all of the vehicles, the camera crews, etc., on what looked to be a very quiet residential street.  

That being said, the owner should have taken that into consideration when agreeing to rent the place to Meri instead of waiting until she moved in and the neighbors began complaining.  

If I lived in a quiet residential area on a small street, I'd have been bitching, too, when the TLC crew, paparazzi, curious viewers, and other assorted crazy people began taking it over.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

In my area $2800 won’t even get you a 3 bedroom apartment forget a house. But $2800 is a lot of $ to waste on rent!

  • Like 6
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
43 minutes ago, Fosca said:

Given the current real estate bubble, I suspect the owner can sell it for half again as much as it was worth when Janelle rented it.

I was reading a local real estate forum yesterday, and one of the discussions was about upgrading/fixing/staging a listing. General consensus was because of the insanity in this market and lack of inventory, all owner needs to do is de-clutter and clean up landscaping.  Both of which our gal Janelle did not do. They should have bought those u-haul trucks rather than rent them.

What was interesting was a lengthy conversation how investors and hedge funds are buying any/all properties they can, offering absurd amounts over listing price, many times cash offers, sight unseen, keeping locals out of the game. I receive weekly texts from intrusive men inquiring if my home is open to receiving a cash offer. This in conjunction with people coming from larger markets ie California, Chicago, East Coast have invaded the state and driving up prices and demolishing inventory. Same goes for rentals. High pricing and low inventory.

Janelle's landlord will have zero problem selling. Tough luck for Janelle. Can't imagine where she'll land. If it's this awful in Phoenix, the situation in smaller, college town Flagstaff has to be dire.  With all that TLC money, the love and support of her plyg husband and sister wives the stress will be minimized.🤣😂

Edited by itsadryheat
  • Like 9
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

That being said, the owner should have taken that into consideration when agreeing to rent the place to Meri instead of waiting until she moved in and the neighbors began complaining.  

Is it possible the landlord didn't know the circumstances?  Despite the Brown Clowns believing that they are A-list celebrities, it is conceivable that they were unknown to that owner.

  • Like 6
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Is it possible the landlord didn't know the circumstances?  Despite the Brown Clowns believing that they are A-list celebrities, it is conceivable that they were unknown to that owner.

I'm 99% sure she did, because Meri said she had told the owner about her being a polygamist and, being the self-important Browns, I have no doubt a discussion about her being a (Z-list) TV "star" ensued.  

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

1 minute ago, Cetacean said:

Is it possible the landlord didn't know the circumstances?  Despite the Brown Clowns believing that they are A-list celebrities, it is conceivable that they were unknown to that owner.

CBS Sunday Morning did a segment on this today.  It's pure insanity.  And people might sell their house for 50K over asking but then cannot find a new home to buy.  Or get a builder to put one up. 

Where the hell are all of these people coming from?  In my rural area, you can't find an empty house.  I think people 1) believe it to be "safer" up here especially during the pandemic (false, little in  the way of health care facilities AND a hotbed of anti-vaxxers) and 2) can work from home so don't need to be tied to an office.  What they don't take into account is the lack of city services, culture, shopping, health care, etc.  So they will drive the market prices up, drive the taxes up, and then bail out.

I can't believe that dump of Janelle's rented for that kind of money.  Man, they sure saw the Browns coming.  And now that the market in LV is white hot, they've lost a shitload of money by sellingk out to hear the angels singingk.

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

I thought my $1,000+/-  figure was low but had no idea she was paying that much for rent !  No wonder they have money concerns, many families live on less than that each month including groceries.  Flagstaff sounds like a very expensive place to live.

Not as expensive as the SF Bay Area. I'm paying over $2k for a 1 bedroom, and I feel fortunate to be getting such a deal.  

The real estate market here is just as crazy as anywhere else. I'm currently dating a Realtor, and he told me he was representing a buyer who put a $2+ million CASH offer on a house - not a mansion or anything like that - and they weren't even in the ballpark. It's crazy!

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Useful 4
  • Surprise 5

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

They should have bought those u-haul trucks rather than rent them.

I have always thought Kody should just become an agent for u-haul or Penske rental trucks.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 12

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Absolom said:

 

I probably wouldn't worry about doing anything to make the house look better if the owner was selling it while I was renting either. On that one I can't blame Janelle at all. 

 

I partially agree with you. However, in my opinion there is no excuse for living in such a mess, especially when you have kids. Neither are frequent moves. Also, the listing may not be yours, but the stuff is. So you present yourself to the world as a slob...

We're with 5 and moved an awful lot as well (military) so I can see what she could be struggling with. The simple answer; buy a lot of plastic boxes with lids, load most of them with stuff you don't urgently need, mark them with 2 colours and small labels (to identify the non-essential stuff, and the not often needed stuff) and stack them in the garage or empty bedroom. The rest of the stuff just goes into the kitchen, wardrobes, sideboards for regular use. It makes for easy moving...

Really, we have at least 30 (probably more) of those boxes and they have been a life-saver through all our moves. One of our better investments lol.

  • Like 5
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post

Many people are extremely organized and neat and thrive on a minimalist lifestyle.  I've seen no evidence of that being Janelle's preferred way to go through life.  While Janelle's style isn't mine, I'm not going to say I find it inherently wrong if she's happy with it.  She doesn't appear to be anywhere near a hoarder lifestyle just content with a messier less highly organized style than many others choose.  Some people like a neighbor of mine are compulsive about having empty space and clear surfaces and others are not.  My mother used to say one was Sunset photo ready and the other was "lived in."  

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Was it Janelle's first rennal or this one that came furnished, requiring her to put much of the crap they hauled to Flagstaff in storage?

Edited by deirdra

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, deirdra said:

Was it Janelle's first rennal or this one that came furnished, requiring her to put much of the crap they hauled to Flagstaff in storage?

Her first one, that was the smaller townhouse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Not as expensive as the SF Bay Area. I'm paying over $2k for a 1 bedroom, and I feel fortunate to be getting such a deal.  

The real estate market here is just as crazy as anywhere else. I'm currently dating a Realtor, and he told me he was representing a buyer who put a $2+ million CASH offer on a house - not a mansion or anything like that - and they weren't even in the ballpark. It's crazy!

And New York. We may relocate for a few years for career advancement but the deal breaker will be affordability. Who can afford these places? 1200 sq ft DUMPS for 300k! It’s wild. How are people affording these homes? I know wages aren’t matching inflation. 

We make decent money. There’s no way we could afford even a decent house in New York, and we will not shell out 300k to live in a shack. This bubble has got to burst soon. 

Currently considering a small apartment rental. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Like 5
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

And New York. We may relocate for a few years for career advancement but the deal breaker will be affordability. Who can afford these places? 1200 sq ft DUMPS for 300k! It’s wild. How are people affording these homes? I know wages aren’t matching inflation. 

We make decent money. There’s no way we could afford even a decent house in New York, and we will not shell out 300k to live in a shack. This bubble has got to burst soon. 

Currently considering a small apartment rental. 

Hi Turtle, as you might remember I just sold my father's 1100 square food "dump" in the Bronx for about 300K so I know what you mean (and don't apologize because it WAS a dump because it had never been renovated in over 40 years), but if there is to be any market correction I'm sorry to report that NYC exists in its own real estate bubble unlike anywhere else around it, so prices usually don't go down much if at all.  They might stagnate just a little but that's about it.  I was actually afraid that I would have to take a lower price since people were fleeing the city because of Covid, but my realtor told me that there was a lot of activity on both ends of the equation (both buying and selling) and that's what was driving the prices up.

Anyway, now you know why my husband and I left NYC 30 years ago.  Even back then there was no way a middle class working couple could afford the prices there unless they had a rich relative financing them.  And we didn't!

If you do go the apartment rental route, the prices aren't much more affordable.  I could have probably fetched around $3,000 a month for my father's apartment if it was renovated.  My best friend rents for over $2,000 a month for a 1 bedroom in the Bronx in a not so ideal building and neighborhood, especially from the POV of people not from NYC.  The only reason she affords it is because her parents died 20 years ago and left her a little money.  NYC is a tough place, and really has been for a long time.

If you are serious about this, PM me and I can refer you to my realtor - If anyone can help you, he and his company can, I recommend them highly.  They also do rentals, BTW.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 3
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post

$2000 in the Bronx??? Hope it’s in Riverdale...

16 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

Hi Turtle, as you might remember I just sold my father's 1100 square food "dump" in the Bronx for about 300K so I know what you mean (and don't apologize because it WAS a dump because it had never been renovated in over 40 years), but if there is to be any market correction I'm sorry to report that NYC exists in its own real estate bubble unlike anywhere else around it, so prices usually don't go down much if at all.  They might stagnate just a little but that's about it.  I was actually afraid that I would have to take a lower price since people were fleeing the city because of Covid, but my realtor told me that there was a lot of activity on both ends of the equation (both buying and selling) and that's what was driving the prices up.

Anyway, now you know why my husband and I left NYC 30 years ago.  Even back then there was no way a middle class working couple could afford the prices there unless they had a rich relative financing them.  And we didn't!

If you do go the apartment rental route, the prices aren't much more affordable.  I could have probably fetched around $3,000 a month for my father's apartment if it was renovated.  My best friend rents for over $2,000 a month for a 1 bedroom in the Bronx in a not so ideal building and neighborhood, especially from the POV of people not from NYC.  The only reason she affords it is because her parents died 20 years ago and left her a little money.  NYC is a tough place, and really has been for a long time.

If you are serious about this, PM me and I can refer you to my realtor - If anyone can help you, he and his company can, I recommend them highly.  They also do rentals, BTW.

 

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

19 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

$2000 in the Bronx??? Hope it’s in Riverdale...

No, not even close, unfortunately.  My father's apartment was right on the border between Kingsbridge and Riverdale so the rents are higher there.

  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/23/2021 at 10:46 AM, Fosca said:

If I were Christine, I'd sell the house and move closer to Mykelti and live in an apartment or a condo or something else small and cheap and pocket/invest the surplus; that may be the only income she has to live on after the show is over.

Until she writes her tell-all, which I will buy, and her new show "Christine: Starting Over" begins on TLC, which I will watch. :)

Logan looks good.  So where's Kody for the birthday celebration?  Maybe he peed on the carpet and Robyn took his traveling privileges away again. 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post

It's just as well Kootie didn't go.  He'd hog all the attention, as usual.

Logan and Michelle look very happy.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post

Logan and Michelle are just adorable.  Good on him for ditching this bunch of yahoos.

And it must just fry Kootie's curls that his eldest a) isn't married but living with a girl for quite some time, b) clearly eschews polygamy, c) has an advanced education, and d) is about as far away from their "religious" tennents (™ Robyn) as he can get. No wonder he didn't attend.  Logan is the antithesis of what Kootie wants from his kids.

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

Logan and Michelle are just adorable.  Good on him for ditching this bunch of yahoos.

And it must just fry Kootie's curls that his eldest a) isn't married but living with a girl for quite some time, b) clearly eschews polygamy, c) has an advanced education, and d) is about as far away from their "religious" tennents (™ Robyn) as he can get. No wonder he didn't attend.  Logan is the antithesis of what Kootie wants from his kids.

e) Michelle altruistically donated a kidney to a complete stranger.  

When have we ever heard of anything the Brown adults have done for the common good.  With the platform they have, they could have been in the forefront campaigning for the rights of minor kids exploited by the cults of Warren Jeffs.  All they have done in that regard, is one time Robyn expressed disdain and disassociated themselves from this horror.  Oh yes, they also tagged on to the Darger family's fight to have polygamy declared an infraction rather than a felony. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

Logan is the antithesis of what Kootie wants from his kids.

Has Kootie visited his own granddaughter Avalon yet?

  • Like 1
  • Surprise 6
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Logan looks good.  So where's Kody for the birthday celebration?  Maybe he peed on the carpet and Robyn took his traveling privileges away again.

This made me chuckle. Here we have a pretty common  phrase/expression used by some wives/girlfriends when their partners cross the line big time: "dick detention". I'll leave it up to you guys to figure out its meaning but I'm sure Robyn would love it!

Edited by LilyD · Reason: addition
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, LilyD said:

This made me chuckle. Here we have a pretty common  phrase/expression used by some wives/girlfriends when their partners cross the line big time: "dick detention". I'll leave it up to you guys to figure out its meaning but I'm sure Robyn would love it!

I've often thought Robyn practices it and that is why Kootie is bursting with anger most of the time.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

Ditching Logan did not go unnoticed by our "sisters" in the media. His behavior and choices continue to fuel the Hate kody brown Fan Club. 

Interesting picture. Where is it taken? May be an old one, as his paunch is showing, hair non permed and he looks less crazed.

https://www.tvshowsace.com/2021/05/24/kody-brown-snubs-logan/

Kody Brown Snubs Logan On His Special Day, But Janelle Shows Up

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, deirdra said:

Has Kootie visited his own granddaughter Avalon yet?

Probably not.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, itsadryheat said:

Ditching Logan did not go unnoticed by our "sisters" in the media. His behavior and choices continue to fuel the Hate kody brown Fan Club. 

Interesting picture. Where is it taken? May be an old one, as his paunch is showing, hair non permed and he looks less crazed.

https://www.tvshowsace.com/2021/05/24/kody-brown-snubs-logan/

Kody Brown Snubs Logan On His Special Day, But Janelle Shows Up

They look horrible in that picture. 

I didn't need to know he skipped Logan's celebration to make me detest Kody.  And I guess Janelle felt obligated to go see Avalon.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I hope Logan toasted his absent father with a bacon cupcake and his glass of wine.

  • Laugh 17

Share this post


Link to post

 

On 5/24/2021 at 11:38 AM, laurakaye said:

So where's Kody for the birthday celebration?  Maybe he peed on the carpet and Robyn took his traveling privileges away again. 

 

image.png

  • Laugh 15

Share this post


Link to post

The RV Garrison & Gabe were renovating looked big enough for 4 people.  They could have Kootie periodically empty the sewage tank since he is such an expert at it. The stove & hot water probably run off a propane tank.  Perhaps they could use an electrical outlet on the outside of Robyn's mansion to charge their phones while she sleeps in.  

  • Laugh 14

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

image.png.499cd3ff873eaa1bb3fb9c62fe4ca4b3.png

Hilarious! I missed your "Strifes" ! 😂😂

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

There’s an offer pending on Janelle’s house. It took 4 days.

Edited by ginger90
  • Like 3
  • Surprise 12

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/25/2021 at 1:53 PM, deirdra said:

I hope Logan toasted his absent father with a bacon cupcake and his glass of wine.

There was one episode where Kody seemed really into bacon---possibly when he took the 5 middle girls to the beach--and then he was off pork when they were at that luau. 

  • Useful 4

Share this post


Link to post

So what is the dill with Janelle's rennal?  Did her landlord sell it?  Does she have to be out in a short amount of time?  And honestly, it's so completely stupid that she doesn't just move in with Meri or Robyn, even temporarily.  Isn't that what sister wives are for, after all?  Now I know that no one wants that - especially Janelle herself - but for the sake of saving some serious money, it seems like this is the only logical thing to do.

And for rill, I would SO be there for Season 16 (17? who knows) if it means that Janelle and Meri have to live together again under one roof.  Pass the popcorn and the cheap merlot!

  • Like 9
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

I just have to say that I love how their pronunciation of various words has become a running joke on the boards. At this point my brain doesn’t even recognize them as errors.

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

I just have to say that I love how their pronunciation of various words has become a running joke on the boards. At this point my brain doesn’t even recognize them as errors.

My wife and I love funny socks--it's at the point where I have no "dress" socks for work and just always wear joke socks and am careful not to flash my ankles like some sort of Victorian lady when I'm around someone I'm trying to impress--and last weekend we were at a sock shop where I picked up my favorite pair to date: a bright yellow covered in pickles that say "I'm kind of a big dill." We have a habit of having SW playing in the background whenever we just need noise, and both she and I have taken to saying "it's a rilly big dill."

  • Laugh 14

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, ginger90 said:

There’s an offer pending on Janelle’s house. It took 4 days.

Holy crap, that's one hot market! 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Holy crap, that's one hot market! 

It's that way everywhere now.  Mid Atlantic, East Coast, Florida....houses are selling for more than asking within days of listing.  

  • Like 4
  • Surprise 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size