Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

I also thought Mahamid Frauded Me was joking. I thought, “This is a good one!” 

Janelle didn’t know about fruit/vegetable peelers? I just, can’t. I can’t without crossing a line because I didn’t think anyone who lived in the modern world was that dumb, let alone someone with a damn health certification. 

She seriously needs it revoked. 

Are we sure she’s an Earthling?  These times she ventures off living in yurts and tents, is she really visiting her home planet?  I think they forgot to put her human microchip back in or is this what happens to you if you live with Meri and Kootie by yourself with a buffer for years?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

She's just getting started.  She has enough material here for 3 - 4 blogs, she can expound upon the relative merits of various style peelers.  All metal or combination of metal/plastic, horizontal vs vertical construction...and just wait til someone awakens her to that pointy thingy at the tip of the peeler, just the thing for digging out the eyes or blemishes on potatoes.

My apologies for the 10 minute YouTube geek out but you just reminded me of a classic Honeymooners episode "Better Living Through TV" where Ralph and Ed were attempting to sell an "amazing" vegetable peeler:

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Botanically speaking, squash is a fruit.  Janelle had no idea that she could use a vegetable peeler on fruit! 

Stayed tuned, next week Janelle is going to try this wonder gizmo on apples.🍎

Why is she peeling it?  Remove any bad spots and cut it up and cook it.  The outside has the most fiber, most vegans and vegetarians eat the outside of most fruit and vegetables.  Squash is one of those things you don't need to peel.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Botanically speaking, squash is a fruit.  Janelle had no idea that she could use a vegetable peeler on fruit! 

Stayed tuned, next week Janelle is going to try this wonder gizmo on apples.🍎

Whoa now, slow down there...first she has to figure out that the natural state of an apple is not the stuff you find in a McDonald's apple pie.  Once she figures that out and stares at a real live Macintosh for the first time, THEN perhaps her brain will go back to that one gizmo she used that one time on a squash.  But that's an awful lot of dots for her to to connect, so don't hold your breath.

• LOL 12
2 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Why is she peeling it?  Remove any bad spots and cut it up and cook it.  The outside has the most fiber, most vegans and vegetarians eat the outside of most fruit and vegetables.  Squash is one of those things you don't need to peel.

Give the girl a break😉, she has only recently learned the advantages of fresh vegetables over canned cream corn, peas, beans and cabbage, her pantry staples up until she became a health coach.

Edited by Sandy W
  • LOL 6
4 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I wonder if she knows that she can also toast bagels in a toaster, not just toast.  

WOW!!! What a ROCKSTAR tip!!!!  I've been holding my bagels over a fire trying to get them crunchy.  This changes EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

• LOL 21
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I wonder if she knows that she can also toast bagels in a toaster, not just toast.  

Nah, she just drives to the local coffee shop down the block and her toasted bagel with extra cream cheese magically appears alongside her chocolate caramel mochaccino with extra whip, nutmeg and chocolate sprinkles.

• LOL 10
19 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Y'all  - Our family is going through a really bad time right now, with an uncertain future for my son, who is very seriously ill, but when I read all your hilarious comments I laughed out loud for the first time in a long time.  So thanks.  That Janelle - what can one say.  Bless her heart.

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.  Yep we COL's have your back!

• Love 11
21 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Y'all  - Our family is going through a really bad time right now, with an uncertain future for my son, who is very seriously ill, but when I read all your hilarious comments I laughed out loud for the first time in a long time.  So thanks.  That Janelle - what can one say.  Bless her heart.

You and your family are in my thoughts Lookeyloo!

• Love 11

I wonder if she knows that in addition to raw and canned vegetables, they also come frozen, and you can find them cut up and mixed with other complementary vegetables - no chopping, zero waste, easy to whip up a meal.  I buy frozen when they go on sale and always have some on hand. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

WOW!!! What a ROCKSTAR tip!!!!  I've been holding my bagels over a fire trying to get them crunchy.  This changes EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

Really? I just leave mine out on the counter until they're completely stale, just like they did in the old testament.

😂

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

Squash is one of those things you don't need to peel.

That's a butternut squash and I don't know anyone who regularly consumes the skin of winter squash.  To me it's like chewing nasty ancient cardboard.  I've also never been served a winter squash unpeeled even in the most natural vegan restaurant.

However, I usually don't bother peeling them, I quarter them and roast them and let each diner scoop out the goodies from the "shell."

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 14

Eating my go-to Rock!Star butternut squash meal tonight! Cube one BNS and saute in a little bit of bacon fat, add in four cubed apples, 2 cups chicken broth, thyme, pepper and crumbled cooked bacon. Cook on stove top, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove lid, in oven for 35 minutes. Drizzle with maple syrup before serving.

I alternate peeling with a knife and peeler. AND I cut my apples into 6ths using an apple slicer. I'm sure that would blow Janelle's mind.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4

Janelle has fallen onto the nutritional hamster wheel, which isn’t hard to do nowadays. Whole grain, gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, intermittent fasting, low carb, keto, paleo, etc, etc.... Every expert says something different. 

What is important is to find out what works for you. In my experience, someone like Janelle should be aiming for a diet in lean protein, with plenty of healthy fruits and vegetables, and avoiding wheat based foods. It worked for my husband and I- we lost over 70 pounds between us by cutting wheat out of our diets.  Her pendulous abdomen screams inflammation and indicates wheat belly. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Whoa, that sounds delish.  How much bacon?  At what temp in the oven?  Having company at Thanksgiving, sounds like a good meal for one night.

As much or as little bacon as you want! I put a lot in. 400 degree oven. You can also put in onions. I don't because onions make me sick.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

That's a butternut squash and I don't know anyone who regularly consumers the skin of winter squash.  To me it's like chewing nasty ancient cardboard.  I've also never been served a winter squash unpeeled even in the most natural vegan restaurant.

However, I usually don't bother peeling them, I quarter them and roast them and let each diner scoop out the goodies from the "shell."

Ok I have to admit that I buy the prepped "cubes" in the produce section, usually. 

I can't ever remember eating the hide of a butternut squash though 🤔

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Juliegirlj said:

Janelle has fallen onto the nutritional hamster wheel, which isn’t hard to do nowadays. Whole grain, gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, intermittent fasting, low carb, keto, paleo, etc, etc.... Every expert says something different. 

What is important is to find out what works for you. In my experience, someone like Janelle should be aiming for a diet in lean protein, with plenty of healthy fruits and vegetables, and avoiding wheat based foods. It worked for my husband and I- we lost over 70 pounds between us by cutting wheat out of our diets.  Her pendulous abdomen screams inflammation and indicates wheat belly. 

She needs to go to a Dr. I wonder if she had IBS-D. That will mess with your digestion and some veggies and fruit make it worse. If she has tummy issues and eats the vegetables and fruit and they give her problems that can be frustrating. You eat what is good for you and still have problems. Ask me how I know this, and you know how I found out, Janelle? I went to the Dr.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

The easiest way to roast winter squash is to heat it in the microwave just enough to make it soft enough to cut in half, scoop out the seeds and then cook in the microwave or bake in the oven cut-side down.  Scoop the squash out of its hide.  Season as you wish, but salt & butter is all I need.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Ok I have to admit that I buy the prepped "cubes" in the produce section, usually. 

I can't ever remember eating the hide of a butternut squash though 🤔

Me too on both counts.  It costs more but it's just too much work and hard to cut.  I get mine at Trader Joe's - Much cheaper in my area than the supermarket unless it's on sale.

I make a lot of butternut squash soup in the winter and wouldn't think of putting the skin in it.  I don't know if that's a good idea - I've never seen a recipe that included the skin.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Me too on both counts.  It costs more but it's just too much work and hard to cut.  I get mine at Trader Joe's - Much cheaper in my area than the supermarket unless it's on sale.

I make a lot of butternut squash soup in the winter and wouldn't think of putting the skin in it.  I don't know if that's a good idea - I've never seen a recipe that included the skin.

Well I figure my time is worth as much as I get in salary at least - what do I want to spend one of my free half hours doing? Prepping veggies, riding my bike, reading a book?  

(Speaking of TJs I just tried the Butternut Squash pizza crust and it's so tasty - I baked it, cut it up and ate it plain...YUM!) 

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 11/7/2019 at 8:06 AM, DakotaJustice said:

Well I figure my time is worth as much as I get in salary at least - what do I want to spend one of my free half hours doing? Prepping veggies, riding my bike, reading a book?  

(Speaking of TJs I just tried the Butternut Squash pizza crust and it's so tasty - I baked it, cut it up and ate it plain...YUM!) 

I am going to have to give this a whirl!

• Love 3

ROCK STAR! 

😂

On a more sobering note, am I the only one who finds Christine using tumeric to "treat" her discs... disturbing? 

Damn, the Browns' health insurance must really suck. 

Oh, and this. It took awhile to find a legit article about the benefits of tumeric through all the crackpot/ayurvedic/MLM sites. 

https://time.com/4633558/turmeric-curcumin-inflammation-spice/

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Useful 3
1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

I would be shocked, shocked I tell you, if they had one dime of insurance.

I'm guessing they have some sort of group policy with super high deductibles through their LLC. 

With 8 minors still in their care it would be beyond insane to not have some sort of med coverage.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

ROCK STAR! 

😂

On a more sobering note, am I the only one who finds Christine using tumeric to "treat" her discs... disturbing? 

Damn, the Browns' health insurance must really suck. 

Very disturbing! I have had spinal fusion at C6-C7, cervical, that was very successful immediately after surgery. I have bulging discs in my lumbar area and other problems there, but the surgery success rate for that part of the spine is not great and can make it worse, so I live with the pain. I do take a Tumeric supplement for inflammation, but not specifically for my spine... Janelle should just shut up with her "advice"!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Am I the only one weirded out by, "my lovelies?" That doesn't sound like Janelle at all.

I was weirded out too.  It sounds like something the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz would say.  Though Janelle may be turning green too with all the green & yellow goop she drinks.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Very disturbing! I have had spinal fusion at C6-C7, cervical, that was very successful immediately after surgery. I have bulging discs in my lumbar area and other problems there, but the surgery success rate for that part of the spine is not great and can make it worse, so I live with the pain. I do take a Tumeric supplement for inflammation, but not specifically for my spine... Janelle should just shut up with her "advice"!

I, too, have had spinal surgery for ruptured discs. If someone suggested herbs to me instead of a surgeon,  I wouldn’t be here today. 

Now I do agree that herbs/spices have benefits, that idiot Janelle should Keep her stupid mouth shut. She knows just enough to give dangerous advice. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, TurtlePower said:

I, too, have had spinal surgery for ruptured discs. If someone suggested herbs to me instead of a surgeon,  I wouldn’t be here today. 

Now I do agree that herbs/spices have benefits, that idiot Janelle should Keep her stupid mouth shut. She knows just enough to give dangerous advice. 

True.  But there are herbs that people taking certain medications, should avoid.  You really have to research them to make sure you can mix with what you already take.

• Love 7

L4-5 fusion, L5-S1 diskectomy that will need a fusion soon, L3-4 bulge and sciatic nerve damage here. I am in constant pain. Even opioids don't help (and they increase my migraines). I doubt her little recipe will do anything for someone like me.

I bet Christine doesn't have disk problems but lower back muscle issues that are easily addressed with herbs and heat. Of course she will never know because they won't go see real doctors.

3 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

L4-5 fusion, L5-S1 diskectomy that will need a fusion soon, L3-4 bulge and sciatic nerve damage here. I am in constant pain. Even opioids don't help (and they increase my migraines). I doubt her little recipe will do anything for someone like me.

I bet Christine doesn't have disk problems but lower back muscle issues that are easily addressed with herbs and heat. Of course she will never know because they won't go see real doctors.

I’m sorry to hear you’re in so much pain. My fusion fixed me right up (I was only 20 years old when I had it done). I hope with advances in technology they can do something to help ease your pain. 

Christine needs an MRI or nerve conduction tests to know anything for sure. Muscle issues certainly can mimic disc problems, it’s hard to know without diagnostic tests. 

• Love 5

Janelle finally concocted a beverage that includes the majority of those rockstar ingredients collecting dust at the back of her pantry....turmeric, ghee, nutmeg, etc.  Yum.

But what is she babbling about regarding Hallmark movies and food?  The actresses who appear in those movies don't eat much?  Like, in the movie itself or real life?  And this is a problem because....Janelle wants to eat when she watches a Hallmark movie?  She needs a snack to go with her hot chocolate?  She wants the actress to consume a Big Mac so Janelle can have one too?

And then as an afterthought, she mentions that her hot drink du jour is also a cure for spinal problems.  Was she tipping a wee bit too much of the spiked eggnog into her holiday drinky-poo when she posted this?

I honestly thought I was reading @Mahamid Frauded Me again..............

• LOL 13
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Janelle finally concocted a beverage that includes the majority of those rockstar ingredients collecting dust at the back of her pantry....turmeric, ghee, nutmeg, etc.  Yum.

But what is she babbling about regarding Hallmark movies and food?  The actresses who appear in those movies don't eat much?  Like, in the movie itself or real life?  And this is a problem because....Janelle wants to eat when she watches a Hallmark movie?  She needs a snack to go with her hot chocolate?  She wants the actress to consume a Big Mac so Janelle can have one too?

And then as an afterthought, she mentions that her hot drink du jour is also a cure for spinal problems.  Was she tipping a wee bit too much of the spiked eggnog into her holiday drinky-poo when she posted this?

I honestly thought I was reading @Mahamid Frauded Me again..............

I watched ONE Hallmark movie last year. It was about a nutcracker who became a cute guy named Chip, and for the entire 2 hours they mostly baked and ate cookies because the main character (who used to play Sabrina the Teenage Witch) owned a bakery and her sniveling boyfriend broke up with her. It ended happily while everyone was eating a giant turkey dinner, including Sabrina. 

So I call bullshit. 

ETA looked it up. It was actually a lifetime movie but what's the difference? 

https://www.bustle.com/p/this-melissa-joan-hart-lifetime-christmas-movie-is-the-weirdest-one-youll-watch-all-season-video-13218826

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • LOL 7
1 hour ago, DakotaJustice said:

ETA looked it up. It was actually a lifetime movie but what's the difference? 

No difference at all.  They all have a variation on one of 5 themes.  Never a deviation, always the same, you know in the first 5 minutes how it will end.  They are all brain lint.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

image.png.97c9ae6d20f1aa2c00c279a78e061e76.png

image.thumb.png.3c2be7341ae2698fbbe9f3c92cccf411.png

Omg! I'm working from home today and just woke my cats laughing. This is awesome! 

I'm waiting for Strife with Janelle to discover Uber Eats/GrubHub/Postmates. What a game changer as she won't have to leave her barcalounger.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Her choice of words and punctuation is terrible.  I'm no English teacher, but come on.

Now Janelle is trotting out old posts?  Things must be tough in Plygville.

If she works as hard on everything in her life as she does on Strive, it is no wonder Kody prefers Sobbin!  wink, wink.  I am ashamed my mind even went there.  HA!

18 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Am I the only one weirded out by, "my lovelies?" That doesn't sound like Janelle at all.

I thought it sounded like Christine wrote it.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2