Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

"I think holidays should be really enjoyed."  From the woman who couldn't be arsed to finish decorating her Christmas tree a couple of years ago.

And what's with the poll?  If 51% of her 11 followers vote YES, she'll eat the candy?  And if the majority says NO....she'll eat the candy?

Just eat the &^%& candy, Janelle, and don't make a production out of it.  Sheesh.

Edit: SEVENTY-THREE people voted on this??  I stand corrected.

Edited by laurakaye
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
On 10/30/2019 at 3:45 PM, DakotaJustice said:

What? Our local garbage collection includes a compost bin and has for years.

We are lucky to get recycling and they no longer take glass so I take ours and someone else's to the next city over to their recycling center.  Easy enough and I feel like I am doing something good.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

"I think holidays should be really enjoyed."  From the woman who couldn't be arsed to finish decorating her Christmas tree a couple of years ago.

And what's with the poll?  If 51% of her 11 followers vote YES, she'll eat the candy?  And if the majority says NO....she'll eat the candy?

Just eat the &^%& candy, Janelle, and don't make a production out of it.  Sheesh.

Edit: SEVENTY-THREE people voted on this??  I stand corrected.

Yes holiday's should be enjoyed.  Her figure however, shows she enjoys all the non holiday days of the year as well.  When I first started WW it was 2 weeks before Tday.  I kept to it rather than 'enjoy' all the holiday had to offer.  My enjoyment of fattening foods made me fat.  Why would I sabotage myself?  I didn't see it as 'can't have'.  I saw it as I can have this or that but I would prefer a smaller jean size than eat stuff that was bad for me and ruin whatever habits I was creating.

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Her cleanse includes fun size Snickers.

I have to say it...is that what Kody calls his much shared dong these days? Haha. Kidding, as I said before, we know they aren't banging. But I couldn't resist. 

Edited by Cherry Cola
  • LOL 12
7 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

But she doesn't have a job. The kids are both in school, studying and attending classes is the equivalent of a full time job IMO.  she lives in a rental which means if anything breaks or malfunctions she can just have the landlord take care of it. Unless of course it was due to your own negligence or your own personal property. I'm guessing she's got a Roomba (not knocking it because I LOVE MINE!) and anyway she uses the same 4 chipped plates all the time! And we've seen her bathroom before 😳

Sorry this is off topic but does your Roomba work on carpet?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Sorry this is off topic but does your Roomba work on carpet?

I have the cheap $200 Roomba - I have hardwood floors and most of my rugs are Ruggables except for the very thick (1" shag pile) plush rugs in the bedroom. My Roomba won't work on those thick rugs.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
13 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Her cleanse includes fun size Snickers.

Lol! I ate 3 of those yesterday. I didn’t fret because I had run 10 miles and hadn’t eaten much until then. I’ll forget about snickers until next Halloween because we don’t typically buy candy. 

Janelle talks big on “moderation” but she wouldn’t be the size she is if she were actually practicing it. I feel like she’s in major denial and is inconsistent. We all know Janelle ate the candy just like she’s going to eat the pumpkin pie and the cookies and so on and be a disaster by the new year. 

Some health coach. IDIOT. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 5

Why doesn't she buy candy she doesn't like?  Or does she like it all?  When I bought Halloween candy it didn't include anything chocolate.  Leftovers were no problem.  I wouldn't touch them.  Brought them to work.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Why doesn't she buy candy she doesn't like?  Or does she like it all?  When I bought Halloween candy it didn't include anything chocolate.  Leftovers were no problem.  I wouldn't touch them.  Brought them to work.

We used to do the same thing.  No problem resisting candy we don't like.  Janelle must like everything.  I hate gumdrops, black licorice, anything with squishiness like marshmallows, and jelly beans.  Peanuts and chocolate are irresistible to me.  So I don't buy them.

• Love 7
On 10/31/2019 at 10:53 AM, ginger90 said:

BF19A3F0-E564-4BF2-A55D-162C52E4E228.jpeg

0A2DE50C-676F-498B-968F-18DF9FC3B709.jpeg

Ok - now to be fair to Janelle, here is what she has to look forward to in November, because according to her, every holiday needs to be observed

November 1

National Bison Day

National Pâté Day*

November 2
National Deviled Egg Day

November 3
National Sandwich Day

November 4
National Candy Day

November 5
National Doughnut Day

National Chinese Take-out Day

November 6
National Nachos Day

November 7
National Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day

November 8
National Cappuccino Day

November 9

National Greek Yogurt Day 

November 10
National Vanilla Cupcake Day

November 11
National Sundae Day

November 12
National Pizza with the Works Except Anchovies Day

November 13
National Indian Pudding Day
Feast of St. Diego Alacala

November 14
National Guacamole Day

National Pickle ‘Appreciation’ Day

November 15
National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day

National Raisin Bran Cereal Day

November 16
National Fast Food Day

November 17
National Baklava Day

Homemade Bread Day

November 18
National Apple Cider Day

National Vichyssoise Day

November 19

National Macchiato Day**

November 20
National Peanut Butter Fudge Day

November 21

National Cranberry Day**

National Gingerbread Cookie Day

November 22
National Cranberry Relish Day

National Cashew Day

November 23

National Espresso Day

November 24
National Sardines Day

November 25
National Parfait Day
National “Eat with a Friend” Day

November 26
National Cake Day

November 27
National Bavarian Cream Pie Day

November 28
National French Toast Day

November 29
National Chocolates Day
National Lemon Creme Pie Day
National Rice Cake Day

November 30
National Mousse Day

• LOL 16
5 hours ago, CocoPuffs said:

My question is why is she going to have it all out the way Saturday morning? Shouldn’t that be Friday morning? Or is she just gonna keep celebrating all day the day after the holiday too? 

Damn, Janelle.

Does anyone in this family have any shred of self awareness???

I think she means she will spend all day today eating all the leftover candy so it will be all out of the way by tomorrow because she has eaten it all and tossed all the evidence (wrappers) into the trash bin. 

They are all so busy with self-promoting that any self-awareness that they might once have had --if ever--has been totally eradicated.

• LOL 5

@Mahamid Frauded Me, you have figured out Janelle's plan.  I remember in my teens that one could keep from gaining weight by only having one day a week as an "eat day."  Janelle does that every day from the looks of it, so it's no wonder she's in the sad shape that she is.  

National Sardines Day kind of makes me sick.  My dad used to snack on them when I was young, and what was called Kipper Snacks, yuck!  

• LOL 3
43 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

My dad used to snack on them when I was young, and what was called Kipper Snacks, yuck!  

Oh, I love kipper snacks!  My dad introduced me to those as a kid. I guess it's what you get used to.

• Love 3

True.  My dad also liked bourbon and said it was "an acquired taste."  I love red wine, but I never acquired a taste for bourbon!  He also smoked Camel unfiltered cigarettes, but I said no to those, although I did smoke Winstons as an older teen.  A terrible bout of bronchitis made me quit, for good.  I don't know who could afford cigarettes nowadays.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I remember in my teens that one could keep from gaining weight by only having one day a week as an "eat day."  Janelle does that every day from the looks of it, so it's no wonder she's in the sad shape that she is.  

Not to defend her but we have talked a lot about her possible medical issues that she should have checked out that could impact her weight.  Or perhaps she should visit a nutritionist.  As she gets older she is only going to find it harder to manage her weight.  It doesn't get easier even at best.  I know that around her age I was trying just about every diet out there and not having a lot of success.  Mind you, I was much thinner than she was even at worst.  But perimenopause can really prevent women from losing weight no matter what they do.  I had the manager of a Jenny Craig once tell me to "forget it" and come back after menopause because I'd never lose weight.  Suddenly despite sticking to the diet religiously, and doing even more exercise, it did not work.  In fact, I was gaining weight for seemingly no reason.  Meanwhile, I had done Jenny for years before that with amazing results.  So Janelle may be lost in a similar conundrum and doesn't know how to deal with it.  Sadly, it may be almost impossible to deal with for her right now depending on the reasons for it.

And as to an "eat day" (or "cheat day"), I can still gain weight if I do that at my age, despite sticking to a healthy reduced calorie diet the rest of the week.  Of course, that did work when I was much younger.  In fact, I remember being on Weight Watchers in 1992 (when I was 34) and I could cheat all weekend long and still lose a pound a week.  The older women in my group were very envious of me.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

Body for Life called it a Free Day.  When I was on it I would eat myself sick on Sundays! 

I think it works better for men though. When Body for Life for Women was published, the free day was reduced to a free meal. 

Janelle has ALWAYS been large/fat/very overweight/obese.  Based on my own personal experience I think it's mostly environmental ie she eats too much. Look at her mom and her kids.

7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Not to defend her but we have talked a lot about her possible medical issues that she should have checked out that could impact her weight.  Or perhaps she should visit a nutritionist.  As she gets older she is only going to find it harder to manage her weight.  It doesn't get easier even at best.  I know that around her age I was trying just about every diet out there and not having a lot of success.  Mind you, I was much thinner than she was even at worst.  But perimenopause can really prevent women from losing weight no matter what they do.  I had the manager of a Jenny Craig once tell me to "forget it" and come back after menopause because I'd never lose weight.  Suddenly despite sticking to the diet religiously, and doing even more exercise, it did not work.  In fact, I was gaining weight for seemingly no reason.  Meanwhile, I had done Jenny for years before that with amazing results.  So Janelle may be lost in a similar conundrum and doesn't know how to deal with it.  Sadly, it may be almost impossible to deal with for her right now depending on the reasons for it.

And as to an "eat day" (or "cheat day"), I can still gain weight if I do that at my age, despite sticking to a healthy reduced calorie diet the rest of the week.  Of course, that did work when I was much younger.  In fact, I remember being on Weight Watchers in 1992 (when I was 34) and I could cheat all weekend long and still lose a pound a week.  The older women in my group were very envious of me.

Ha! I did Jenny Craig for years and had the same experience.  The plateau occurs when you eat the same amount of calories and don't change up your exercise - your body gets used to it and adjusts. My coach has actually knocked me off plateaus by increasing my carbs and fats. I've been doing macros for over five years (IIFYM) and for me it's the way to go. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

In the spirit of Janelle, I'm running a survey with this post.

• Click on the "laugh" icon if you had NO DOUBT Janelle was going to find a way to justify eating the kids' Halloween candy.
  • Click on the "wow" icon if you are amazed at her intelligence in planning ahead to eat it - but limiting it to just one full day.
  • Click on the "like" icon if you think I'm really smart and funny, and don't care a bit about what Janelle does.

Well since both her kids at home are a bit old to be trick or treating (IMO) I just think she buys WAY too much candy for Halloween, then the next day buys some more when it's half off, so that's why Saturday is her cutoff day. 

Justification: if I eat it all, then it's gone and I don't have to deal with it!

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Janelle has ALWAYS been large/fat/very overweight/obese.  Based on my own personal experience I think it's mostly environmental ie she eats too much. Look at her mom and her kids.

Actually, I disagree with your first sentence.  She wasn't thin when she married Kody but she was nowhere near as heavy as she would become and is now.  And unless I have proof I don't assume anything about why people are the weight they are.  Mr. Yeah No was always heavy.  No one in his family except his grandmother had a weight problem.  His mother, father, aunts, uncles, all were normal weight.  He had one female cousin that had a weight problem.  His sister struggled with her weight after having kids, but had nowhere near the problem that he had. 

I know him since he was 21 years old and have NEVER believed that his weight issues were because of his diet.  His mother came from the generation that you ate what she gave you and everyone else ate or you didn't eat at all.  So growing up she did not cater to or become co-dependent on someone that wanted to eat more than what she felt was "his share".  Her idea of a portion was kind of small and she served basic meat and two veg. dinners.  When I met my husband his male friends and coworkers could all eat him under the table.  He would get upset seeing how they could down half a pizza or an entire meatball hero and then go on to continue to eat like that every day and still stay thin.  Meanwhile he would eat nowhere near that much and would bike ride with me every week 20, 30, 40, even 60 miles and still struggle to lose weight.  He would put in a monumental effort for paltry results.  He went on Jenny Craig with me and lost maybe 30 lbs. but then he reached a plateau that would not budge.  He had to exercise like a maniac to maintain his weight even eating Jenny in his 30s and 40s.  It was extremely frustrating and because he had a demanding job he just could not keep up that high level of effort.

Interestingly, both he and his sister have less trouble with their weight now in their 60s (unlike me who could eat whatever I wanted until perimenopause and still stay thin).  He is still overweight but nowhere near what he once was.  He now takes a 38 waist, which is amazing to me.  I have often wondered if there wasn't a physiological genetic reason for the fact that both he and his sister are thinner now than when they were younger.  The same thing happened with their grandmother!  This is so contrary to what usually happens that I could not ignore it.  By the time I met his grandmother she was less than half the size she was when she was younger.  I know my husband is not secretly chowing down on fattening food when I'm not around.  I watch what he eats and how much.  We're on a tight budget and he doesn't want to spend any extra money that he doesn't have to spend.  I have taught him a lot about what foods to avoid and which to eat.  And believe me, if I thought for one minute that he deserved what he got, I would be the FIRST person to tell him about it.

So where Janelle is concerned I have never ruled out that the originating source of her weight problems was and still is not under her control and I don't like to assume what the cause is for anyone.  What IS under her control is how she responds to it.  Being in that family with the culture of horrible eating habits doesn't help and has only made her problem worse.  I just think that whatever the problem is, it is difficult to solve and get results, and takes tremendous work and determination to address successfully, all of which she doesn't have.

• Useful 4
  • Love 11
43 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Ha! I did Jenny Craig for years and had the same experience.  The plateau occurs when you eat the same amount of calories and don't change up your exercise - your body gets used to it and adjusts. My coach has actually knocked me off plateaus by increasing my carbs and fats. I've been doing macros for over five years (IIFYM) and for me it's the way to go. 

Yeah, after Jenny I went to a special renowned diet clinic and the doctors there put me on that kind of diet/exercise regimen, only during perimenopause it didn't work for me.  Eating more carbs and fats even with changing up the exercise routine only resulted in weight gain for me.  We tried it all.  I spent a fortune with people that were very highly rated and got nowhere.  They were beginning to act like perhaps I was lying to them.  I got upset because I was putting everything into it and not lying.  Eventually I couldn't afford it anymore and left.  The best I could do with their help was maintain.  So I kept that up but never lost weight.  I eventually gained more as menopause approached because I was under a lot of horrible stress at work and could not keep up my intense regimen during that time.  I only recently lost that more recent weight after having gallbladder problems for a couple of years.  It's still a struggle but at least I can lose weight now if I really put myself into it.  It's also still a real struggle to maintain.  I am not able to do the intense exercise I used to do for a lot of real physical reasons, including a genetic disposition I recently found out about through DNA testing that's manifesting itself now at my age which makes it very easy for me to pull or strain a muscle.  I also suffer from hereditary edema in my legs that has gotten worse as I age, which also creates a lot of pain and difficulty with intense exercise.  I do my best, which is all we can do.  You don't know what disadvantages other people are facing.

• Love 10

I based my statement on photos - the earliest photo of Janelle I could find was the one of her with Meri and Kody at their wedding and she was definitely on the large side then. 
I actually can sympathize with her because I was the chubby one in my family growing up - my sisters and Mom were skinny and I was on diets all the time.  I got to the same size as Janelle - 265 lbs - in my 20s and at 27-28 decided to do something about it. 

Genetics definitely play a part but environment and control do as well, I believe. It's like any other chronic condition - you have to monitor it, it can be controlled but never cured.  Also, everyone is different and we all have different life experiences and different bodies.

I think like most of us here, I'd have more sympathy for Janelle if she wasn't trying to monitize it and doing this ersatz health coach thing.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 17

For the record I agree with Janelle about enjoying the treats of the holiday ~ however, who does she think she is fooling?? Clearly she eats whatever she wants on a daily basis. If she really wanted to lose weight/ get fit she has the financial means and the time to do it. She probably should see a real therapist to treat her depression and find out why she cocoons herself with fat. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

...yup...

I've been in perimenopause since I was 35.  I am only now (52) having damn near every menopause symptom on any list.  While I've had bizarre "feeling hot no matter the room temperature" for several years I have now experienced my first hot flash.  Dayam I could have lived without those! I am just wanting it all to be DONE!

• Love 5
5 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Janelle has openly stated on camera several times "I'm an emotional eater.  I'm a stress eater." And the lightbulb has NEVER gone off!  Duhh. Her eating is clearly a symptom of a larger issue.  Get the emotions and stress under control and then tackle the eating/nutrition.  The problem is that she has to get to a real therapist and get really really real with herself.  Nope...she will never do that. She will just bitch and moan and turn her rock stars into smoothies. She's in a perpetual head game of self delusion.

• Love 11
13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Regarding Janelle, I agree somewhat but also suspect Janelle is hiding a food addiction. She’s admitted to craving junk and has problems with self-motivation. I’d have empathy for her if she’d stop trying to sell her “health” business and start a support group instead. She needs a coach of her own; she absolutely should not be one. Janelle never sticks with anything long enough to see results and I have a feeling the holidays will derail her even more. 

I totally get the struggles later in life. My poor metabolism has taken a hit and I have to run 6-10 miles a day, lift twice a week AND watch everything I eat to stay the size I am or I’ll gain weight. I can’t eat gluten so that cuts out a lot and I try to stay with whole food plant based. Luckily for me the holidays won’t be a problem—I can’t eat most of it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, Juliegirlj said:

For the record I agree with Janelle about enjoying the treats of the holiday ~ however, who does she think she is fooling?? Clearly she eats whatever she wants on a daily basis. If she really wanted to lose weight/ get fit she has the financial means and the time to do it. She probably should see a real therapist to treat her depression and find out why she cocoons herself with fat. 

Right?  A treat is a treat because it is something one doesn't have often.  

• Love 7
15 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Ideally the best thing to do is figure how many calories you take in a day.  Then reduce that by 200 calories for about 3-4 weeks.  Every 3-4 weeks reduce your calories by 200.  Yes some of us are eating and drinking  WAYYYYYYYY more calories than we think.  My moms next door neighbor is a dietitian and she said I have had people come to me and they are consuming between 5,000-10,000 calories  a day.  She said, I start with the reducing by 200 calories so you don't feel deprived and that way you continue with a slow but steady weight loss.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
On 11/1/2019 at 5:25 PM, xwordfanatik said:

@Mahamid Frauded Me, you have figured out Janelle's plan.  I remember in my teens that one could keep from gaining weight by only having one day a week as an "eat day."  Janelle does that every day from the looks of it, so it's no wonder she's in the sad shape that she is.  

National Sardines Day kind of makes me sick.  My dad used to snack on them when I was young, and what was called Kipper Snacks, yuck!  

Blech!..... I remember my parents eating kipper snacks and these things they called a "roll mop" which was some kind of kippered herring fish on a lollipop stick in a pickle jar... So nasty!!! Grossest thing I ever tasted!!!   😲

• LOL 3
10 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Regarding Janelle, I agree somewhat but also suspect Janelle is hiding a food addiction. She’s admitted to craving junk and has problems with self-motivation. I’d have empathy for her if she’d stop trying to sell her “health” business and start a support group instead. She needs a coach of her own; she absolutely should not be one. Janelle never sticks with anything long enough to see results and I have a feeling the holidays will derail her even more. 

I totally get the struggles later in life. My poor metabolism has taken a hit and I have to run 6-10 miles a day, lift twice a week AND watch everything I eat to stay the size I am or I’ll gain weight. I can’t eat gluten so that cuts out a lot and I try to stay with whole food plant based. Luckily for me the holidays won’t be a problem—I can’t eat most of it. 

Exactly and wasn't it just a week ago that she was chowing down on frito chips drowning in salt, peanut butter and caramel or some such garbage?

She drives me nuts because she never seems to choose something reasonable and healthy.... It's always the next ROCKSTAR cure that lasts for a day or two and then she drops it like a hot potato and she's found a new magic bullet.  🙄

• Love 10
22 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Actually, I disagree with your first sentence.  She wasn't thin when she married Kody but she was nowhere near as heavy as she would become and is now.  And unless I have proof I don't assume anything about why people are the weight they are.  Mr. Yeah No was always heavy.  No one in his family except his grandmother had a weight problem.  His mother, father, aunts, uncles, all were normal weight.  He had one female cousin that had a weight problem.  His sister struggled with her weight after having kids, but had nowhere near the problem that he had. 

I know him since he was 21 years old and have NEVER believed that his weight issues were because of his diet.  His mother came from the generation that you ate what she gave you and everyone else ate or you didn't eat at all.  So growing up she did not cater to or become co-dependent on someone that wanted to eat more than what she felt was "his share".  Her idea of a portion was kind of small and she served basic meat and two veg. dinners.  When I met my husband his male friends and coworkers could all eat him under the table.  He would get upset seeing how they could down half a pizza or an entire meatball hero and then go on to continue to eat like that every day and still stay thin.  Meanwhile he would eat nowhere near that much and would bike ride with me every week 20, 30, 40, even 60 miles and still struggle to lose weight.  He would put in a monumental effort for paltry results.  He went on Jenny Craig with me and lost maybe 30 lbs. but then he reached a plateau that would not budge.  He had to exercise like a maniac to maintain his weight even eating Jenny in his 30s and 40s.  It was extremely frustrating and because he had a demanding job he just could not keep up that high level of effort.

Interestingly, both he and his sister have less trouble with their weight now in their 60s (unlike me who could eat whatever I wanted until perimenopause and still stay thin).  He is still overweight but nowhere near what he once was.  He now takes a 38 waist, which is amazing to me.  I have often wondered if there wasn't a physiological genetic reason for the fact that both he and his sister are thinner now than when they were younger.  The same thing happened with their grandmother!  This is so contrary to what usually happens that I could not ignore it.  By the time I met his grandmother she was less than half the size she was when she was younger.  I know my husband is not secretly chowing down on fattening food when I'm not around.  I watch what he eats and how much.  We're on a tight budget and he doesn't want to spend any extra money that he doesn't have to spend.  I have taught him a lot about what foods to avoid and which to eat.  And believe me, if I thought for one minute that he deserved what he got, I would be the FIRST person to tell him about it.

So where Janelle is concerned I have never ruled out that the originating source of her weight problems was and still is not under her control and I don't like to assume what the cause is for anyone.  What IS under her control is how she responds to it.  Being in that family with the culture of horrible eating habits doesn't help and has only made her problem worse.  I just think that whatever the problem is, it is difficult to solve and get results, and takes tremendous work and determination to address successfully, all of which she doesn't have.

Thank you. This a very real thing and people should not assume their experience or way of eating would help everyone. Some people can eat normally and be very fat. I have seen it as well.

18 hours ago, Roslyn said:

...yup...

I've been in perimenopause since I was 35.  I am only now (52) having damn near every menopause symptom on any list.  While I've had bizarre "feeling hot no matter the room temperature" for several years I have now experienced my first hot flash.  Dayam I could have lived without those! I am just wanting it all to be DONE!

The cold flashes happen too. So much fun!

• Love 7

Menopause sucks~ hot flashes can go on for 10 plus years for some women ( going on 6 yrs for me)....

The saying “ you are what you eat” is so true. After the age of 50 the body needs far fewer calories, which can be difficult for some people. Aside from some random food sensitivities that I’ve developed, I can maintain my weight by eating almost anything I want- except wheat ( bread, pasta, baked goods, etc). Wheat Belly is alive and well with SO many people. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Higgins said:

Thank you. This a very real thing and people should not assume their experience or way of eating would help everyone. Some people can eat normally and be very fat. I have seen it as well.

The cold flashes happen too. So much fun!

I agree. Janelle has something else going on, but she herself has admitted to craving junk food and ooey gooey cheesy restaurant dishes. She seems to hate vegetables and exercise. That’s a terrible mix. Combine that with whatever else she has going on and this is what you get. The woman needs a support blog and an experienced coach. 

Everyone’s different nutritionally so I 100% agree with that. I can’t really eat “normally” so I understand. People find out how much I run—and my job is walking all day too—and they think I can eat whatever I want. Nothing could be further from the truth. 1200-1500 calories a day to stay around 150 lb at 5’8”, even with all that exercise. It’s a lot of work and sometimes it’s frustrating. When I train for races it’s harder because I like to be lighter, around 135. It’s not fair, but it is what it is. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

I agree. Janelle has something else going on, but she herself has admitted to craving junk food and ooey gooey cheesy restaurant dishes. She seems to hate vegetables and exercise. That’s a terrible mix. Combine that with whatever else she has going on and this is what you get. The woman needs a support blog and an experienced coach. 

Everyone’s different nutritionally so I 100% agree with that. I can’t really eat “normally” so I understand. People find out how much I run—and my job is walking all day too—and they think I can eat whatever I want. Nothing could be further from the truth. 1200-1500 calories a day to stay around 150 lb at 5’8”, even with all that exercise. It’s a lot of work and sometimes it’s frustrating. When I train for races it’s harder because I like to be lighter, around 135. It’s not fair, but it is what it is. 

What are your thoughts on PCOS?

Whitney the girl on  "my big fat fabulous life" says she has it and that's why she's fat and struggles with her weight.... She says she eats very little and only twice a day.... I find that hard to believe but I'm willing to learn.  👍

Could Janelle have it and not know? 

Personally I don't think Janelle has anything special going on that prohibits her from losing weight because when they were first in Vegas Janelle hired a trainer and nutritionist.... They put her on a typical diet reducing her calories and increasing her activity... She did fine and lost weight just like most people.

I think her problem is simple, she eats way too much junk food.

I went back a ways and looked at the meals she's posted... Almost every single thing would probably give me indigestion if I ate a bowl full or drank a gallon of it... She swerves around recklessly like a drunk driver going from a can of cabbage to quarts of peppermint tea or chunks of chicken and red peppers literally drowning in oil... Just looking at most of her meals gives me indigestion.... Then add the cracked, chipped dishes swarming with bacteria and what's not to love... Yummy! 

More gruel please   😝

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

What are your thoughts on PCOS?

Whitney the girl on  "my big fat fabulous life" says she has it and that's why she's fat and struggles with her weight.... She says she eats very little and only twice a day.... I find that hard to believe but I'm willing to learn.  👍

Could Janelle have it and not know? 

Personally I don't think Janelle has anything special going on that prohibits her from losing weight because when they were first in Vegas Janelle hired a trainer and nutritionist.... They put her on a typical diet reducing her calories and increasing her activity... She did fine and lost weight just like most people.

I think her problem is simple, she eats way too much junk food.

I went back a ways and looked at the meals she's posted... Almost every single thing would probably give me indigestion if I ate a bowl full or drank a gallon of it... She swerves around recklessly like a drunk driver going from a can of cabbage to quarts of peppermint tea or chunks of chicken and red peppers literally drowning in oil... Just looking at most of her meals gives me indigestion.... Then add the cracked, chipped dishes swarming with bacteria and what's not to love... Yummy! 

More gruel please   😝

So, I was diagnosed with PCOS in my 20s. Then I became anorexic for a long time and got premature menopause. I definitely struggle but it is not impossible. 

I don’t want to go into Whitney much here since we’ve discussed PCOS over there but basically I think she’s a food addict who uses PCOS as an excuse. I do not believe that woman “eats very little”—her trainer caught her with junk food rubbish in her car remember? Anyway back on topic......

I don’t know about Janelle but my speculation, based on everything she’s put out there, is that she’s an overeater and an under-exerciser. Maybe she has PCOS, who knows. But it is possible to keep fit it just takes more effort. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Auto incorrect
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

As I've posted in the general snark thread, I've been going back and re-watching all the seasons, little by little. I have to say that Janelle looked the best I've ever seen her in the blue commitment ceremony dress. She had curves, she looked fit and healthy. It was very flattering. Okay the dressmaker couldn't make 4 dresses in the short amount of time required, but she did very well with Janelle (and ok with Christine, who wanted that strange stlye).

I know it's not for everyone, but I've been on HRT (hormone replacement therapy) for 4 years since entering menopause and it's helped me a lot. Estrogen/progesterone combo, basically birth control pills. I'm under a doctor's supervision and I have asthma (unrelated to menopause or the pills). HRT got a bad rap due to some flawed studies that found it dangerous, imo. You do have to wait til at least a full year from your last period - which in my case was hard to gauge, because I would have no period for like 3 months and then get it again, about 8 years ago.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I'm going to venture into geek territory and mention experiments done using double-labeled water. 

Basically isotopes in DLW allow a high accuracy in determining energy expenditure and caloric intake. There have been numerous studies done with people of all sizes including overweight/obese people who claimed to eat a very low amount of calories but being unable to lose weight and/or continued to gain weight. A lot of these studies are behind paywalls (ugh) but I did find one that isn't.

http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1415-52732001000200006

Studies in adults

Most comparisons of energy intake and expenditures, confronting survey and the doubly-labeled water method, show a large degree of under-reporting of food intake. Very high levels of under-reporting are typically found in obese subjects, as well as in female athletes. In some individuals, under-reporting can be as high as 50% of energy expenditures (Schoeller, 1995).

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 11/2/2019 at 9:49 AM, DakotaJustice said:

I think like most of us here, I'd have more sympathy for Janelle if she wasn't trying to monitize it and doing this ersatz health coach thing.

Exactly.  If, rather than doling out lazy, half-formed health advice in the guise of being a coach, she'd share advice that was given to her by someone who actually knows what she's talking about?  THAT I would respect.  But again, I don't think she's going to lose any weight until she drops the 200-pound caveman with the frizzy hair, and I don't see her ever doing that.  With Janelle, inertia is easier than action.

As for her stress eating - now she's entering menopause and has a grandchild with significant health issues who lives across the country.  If she doesn't figure something out and get some real help with her weight and her emotions, I can't see her even attempting to lose any at this point in her life.  If anything, she will gain, and that cannot be safe for her.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Exactly.  If, rather than doling out lazy, half-formed health advice in the guise of being a coach, she'd share advice that was given to her by someone who actually knows what she's talking about?  THAT I would respect.  But again, I don't think she's going to lose any weight until she drops the 200-pound caveman with the frizzy hair, and I don't see her ever doing that.  With Janelle, inertia is easier than action.

As for her stress eating - now she's entering menopause and has a grandchild with significant health issues who lives across the country.  If she doesn't figure something out and get some real help with her weight and her emotions, I can't see her even attempting to lose any at this point in her life.  If anything, she will gain, and that cannot be safe for her.

"Inertia is easier than action", BINGO!  Janelle has the complacency of a cow, who may lift her head occasionally to observe what's going on, then right back to ruminating.

Where did the old Janelle go?  By all accounts, before the show started she picked up her 5 kids and had the fortitude to remove themselves from a hostile environment.  We saw a glimmer of that Janelle when she rightfully seemed to dig her heels in to protest the move to Flagstaff but that was short lived.  I cannot imagine the inner turmoil she must feel when her voice is not heard and her opinions don't seem to count.  And for what??? At the very best of times, she could rely on 25% of a husband and her kids each 1/18th of a father and it's fair to say, she doesn't even have that.  It seems the most she can hope for these days is a pat on the head and "good job balancing the family budget this month kid, Robyn and I really appreciate you finding a way to finance us into our dream home".

Remember the old Janelle who threatened to "Armor Up" when exterior forces threatened the family well-being?  She's in there somewhere, hiding under the defensive layers she has built around herself.

• Love 4

Wait, what? Warm water passes into your cells and doesn't pass right through you? She's just a dumbass and it's worse than I figured.

Her digestion is whacked and she needs to see a doctor instead of finding "great ideas" on the intertubes, as she is not the most educated woman.

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
11 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

So she's drinking warm water and she's not peeing that much?  Does that sound normal?  Shouldn't water pass through you whether it's warm or cold?

I don't know much about physiology but it seems to me that living creatures would have an internal system of regulating the temperature of liquids or solids to body temperature before even hitting the esophagus.  Anyone here know for sure?

• Love 5

As a matter of fact I know for sure that water (no matter the temp) all goes into your system and passes through your kidneys, then your cells and you should be peeing a lot even if you are drinking warm water. She's seriously deluded and needs to stop posting insanity.

She should maybe get a degree (a real one mind you) and not just some certification from the internet.

Edited by Chicklet
Ok that's pretty simplified for brevity's sake
  • Love 11