Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, MaddyMaeboxerbabe said:

Garbanzo beans? 

Regular hummus has garbanzos, but this is "spinach artichoke hummus" so who knows what is in it other than spinach & artichokes, which she could have whipped up at home in her green goo NutriBullet for a fraction of the price.  I make something similar with artichokes or avocado and use it instead of mayo in chicken salad.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, Higgins said:

You couldn't know that.

Of course not!  I was being "snarky"!!!  We really don't know much about any of them except what we see on their social media or their highly edited scripted reality show.

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
58 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Of course not!  I was being "snarky"!!!  We really don't know much about any of them except what we see on their social media or their highly edited scripted reality show.

Wait a minute - are you saying that we don't really know much about any of them but, because of how they conduct themselves in public, we come to our own conclusions and form our own opinions and then we type stuff related to those conclusions and opinions and we post it here, because that's a big part of what this site is about?

Color me perplexed!

• LOL 23
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, suomi said:

Wait a minute - are you saying that we don't really know much about any of them but, because of how they conduct themselves in public, we come to our own conclusions and form our own opinions and then we type stuff related to those conclusions and opinions and we post it here, because that's a big part of what this site is about?

Color me perplexed!

Aha!!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, deirdra said:

Regular hummus has garbanzos, but this is "spinach artichoke hummus" so who knows what is in it other than spinach & artichokes, which she could have whipped up at home in her green goo NutriBullet for a fraction of the price.  I make something similar with artichokes or avocado and use it instead of mayo in chicken salad.

There's a vendor at my local farmers market who sells delicious stuffed flat breads  (Bolani) of different kinds - pumpkin, spinach, lentil are my favorites - and a variety of sauces and toppings. Including a spinach-artichoke hummus that's yummy and only 45 calories vs 70/80 calories in regular hummuses (hummi?). 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, deirdra said:

So, if hummus is made with garbanzo beans (and sorta looks like someone already ate it) - does that mean it's similar to refried beans which is made with pinto beans (and sorta looks like someone already ate it)? I LOVE refried beans. 

My hell, I've never tried hummus because I thought it was tofu or soy or ... something else scary.

• LOL 9
2 minutes ago, suomi said:

So, if hummus is made with garbanzo beans (and sorta looks like someone already ate it) - does that mean it's similar to refried beans which is made with pinto beans (and sorta looks like someone already ate it)? I LOVE refried beans. 

My hell, I've never tried hummus because I thought it was tofu or soy or ... something else scary.

The first time I tried it, it was served in a small white crock alongside french bread, the same way you would expect butter to be presented.  If it wasn't for the heavy garlic present in the mix, it would probably have been quite bland.

• Useful 2
6 hours ago, ehall1052 said:

Deirdra, can you share recipe? I can’t eat mayo.

I just blend steamed artichoke hearts in my Magic Bullet or mash an avocado with salt & lemon, and add other things like mustard, garlic, dill, depending on what I feel like at the time. Then stir it in with diced chicken.  You can also blend artichokes that come bottled, often with garlic & spices already added - reserve the liquid and just use enough to get a creamy, not watery texture.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Try the Sabra brand. I like the pine nut and roasted red pepper hummuses.

Can't wait to try it now. Sabra = a Jew born in Israel, I know that much. Mazel!

• Love 5
9 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Try the Sabra brand. I like the pine nut and roasted red pepper hummuses.

This is the only brand I ate when I came back from working in Israel. At the time, all other American brands had a consistency like building material and Sabra (also the term for a native-born Israeli) was the only good one out there. Hummus has come a long way since then, but it still does not compare to the fresh, creamy just-made kind  

Also, disappointingly, I suspect Sabra changed their recipe/production when they got really big. It’s still good but has been modified for the American palate. 

ETA: I contacted Sabra and they deny any changes. I don’t believe them, it’s different than it used to be. I make my own now. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Additional
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, suomi said:

Hummus is simply grinding chick peas with tahini, garlic, a squeeze of lemon juice and olive oil.

When I was a kid and my very hippy Aunt would visit (living in a commune hippie...) she would make hummus for everyone.  She would skip the olive oil and toss cold water or even ice cubes in the blender to help smooth it out and used roasted garlic instead of raw.  It was used as a veggie dip.  I always thought it was quite bleck as a kid.

Fast forward to adult me in culinary school and we used olive oil to smooth it out while mixing in a professional food processor and it was smooth and flavorful.  We made our own roasted tahini, roasted garlic and a bit of sesame oil and really good olive oil.  THAT hummus I really like, most likely because of the olive oil.  I can see a chick pea and artichoke mixture being tasty as well, especially with a LOT of roasted garlic.  I grow several varieties of full flavored and even spicy garlic that work well.

My husband likes hummus with chopped up roasted hot peppers stirred through, but he likes hot hot things. I am a bit weird, I like it with fresh cracked white pepper and parmesan cheese with a whole grain seedy nutty cracker. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

Janelle I hear brown rice is a rockstar.  Try that rather than white.  Or better yet, quinoa.  

If her next Strive post involves brown rice or quinoa, you need to hire a lawyer and get 50% of whatever she gets paid per post.  Get ready to spend that $5.17 wisely!

• LOL 12
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

Janelle I hear brown rice is a rockstar.  Try that rather than white.  Or better yet, quinoa.  

Or no rice since there are potatoes in the stew.

Looking at these pics again makes me think Janelle was actually about to feed this leftover rockstar stew to the dog in his own bowl (not eat it herself) and either she or the dog knocked it off the counter after the photoshoot of the dogbowl w/stew and rice side.  Then she was off to the nearest fast-food drive-in-window for her actual breakfast.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Or no rice since there are potatoes in the stew.

Looking at these pics again makes me think Janelle was actually about to feed this leftover rockstar stew to the dog in his own bowl (not eat it herself) and either she or the dog knocked it off the counter after the photoshoot of the dogbowl w/stew and rice side.  Then she was off to the nearest fast-food drive-in-window for her actual breakfast.

At first it looked like a small stainless cooking pot but, upon closer inspection, it definitely looks like a dog food bowl! 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Also, disappointingly, I suspect Sabra changed their recipe/production when they got really big. It’s still good but has been modified for the American palate. 

They did change it, but perhaps have changed back to the original.  First it had no canola oil, then it had canola oil, and now it's back to no canola oil.  I know because I am allergic to canola oil.  

If Janelle had my food issues I'd love to see what she'd do with them.  I thought she had a bowl of homemade dog food there at first.  I don't think I could use anything resembling a dog bowl in my kitchen much less eat from it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 10/7/2019 at 1:59 PM, deirdra said:

Israel and some other Middle Eastern countries have laws regulating what ingredients have to be in hummus in for it to be legally called hummus, and chick peas are absolutely mandatory, so if she lived there and left out the chick peas but still called it hummus she'd be breaking the law, lol.  The US has no such law.

I don't like Sabra hummus.  I like Trader Joe's Mediterranean hummus if I'm going to buy it ready made but I make my own and it's just amazingly better than store bought.  Most store bought hummus is too pasty for me and too light on the tahini.  I like the Israeli style best, which is lighter and creamier.  I just found a recipe from Chris Kimball's "Milk Street" show that looks promising.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Absolom said:

They did change it, but perhaps have changed back to the original.  First it had no canola oil, then it had canola oil, and now it's back to no canola oil.  I know because I am allergic to canola oil. 

I see now that they're using soybean oil.  That's another reason I don't tend to like store bought hummus, because they often don't use olive oil.  I think it's best the original way with olive oil.  I have the same issue with pesto.  I'm always looking at the ingredient list and if I see anything other than olive oil on the list, I pass.  That usually means if I buy pesto ready made I have to go to Whole Paycheck.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Israel and some other Middle Eastern countries have laws regulating what ingredients have to be in hummus in for it to be legally called hummus, and chick peas are absolutely mandatory, so if she lived there and left out the chick peas but still called it hummus she'd be breaking the law, lol.  The US has no such law.

I don't like Sabra hummus.  I like Trader Joe's Mediterranean hummus if I'm going to buy it ready made but I make my own and it's just amazingly better than store bought.  Most store bought hummus is too pasty for me and too light on the tahini.  I like the Israeli style best, which is lighter and creamier.  I just found a recipe from Chris Kimball's "Milk Street" show that looks promising.

גמ אני! 

ETA: My Hebrew typing didn’t go over too well. I said me too, Israeli style is amazing. I usually keep my mouth shut as to what they call hummus over here given American/regional differences.  

Sabra used to be much better when it was more true to Israeli style. I guess Americans didn’t like it as much. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 6

"Nobody asked my permission, so everyone can piss off."  Paraphrasing Kootie in Hawaii, when the wimmin folk explained that Kootie doesn't eat pork.  He acted like a big old baby. I still want to visit Hawaii someday, but if I had to go with Kosher Kootie, I'd pass.

Janelle made excuses for Kootie's shitty behavior.  I'd tell HIM to piss off!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

"Nobody asked my permission, so everyone can piss off."  Paraphrasing Kootie in Hawaii, when the wimmin folk explained that Kootie doesn't eat pork.  He acted like a big old baby. 

Was that the time Logan stuffed his mouth with bacon?  Probably thinking - "more for me, doofus Dad!"

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 9
3 hours ago, deirdra said:

Was that the time Logan stuffed his mouth with bacon?  Probably thinking - "more for me, doofus Dad!"

There may have been bacon involved also (everything goes better with bacon), but the thing that riled Kody to the point that I think he called Logan an azzhole, was the fact that Logan partook of the pork.  There was a whole pig that the Hawaiian hosts had spent the day barbecuing for the luau.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

There may have been bacon involved also (everything goes better with bacon), but the thing that riled Kody to the point that I think he called Logan an azzhole, was the fact that Logan partook of the pork.  There was a whole pig that the Hawaiian hosts had spent the day barbecuing for the luau.

Yes, I remember that, and didn't Logan or someone else in the fambly then give a quizzical look and ask "when did you start avoiding pork?" as if Kootie was changing his cult rules on the fly.  

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 12
  • Love 2

Working out first thing in the am most days is definitely a habit for me - for well over 25 years now. I don't have to "remind myself over and over again". Paraphrasing Nike, I just do it. It's part of my daily routine that I enjoy.

Janelle is planning to just eat with her kids and not work out? I bet Logan and Hunter would enjoy hitting the gym. 

• Love 9
13 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Working out first thing in the am most days is definitely a habit for me - for well over 25 years now. I don't have to "remind myself over and over again". Paraphrasing Nike, I just do it. It's part of my daily routine that I enjoy.

Janelle is planning to just eat with her kids and not work out? I bet Logan and Hunter would enjoy hitting the gym. 

Same. I just do it. 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I really wish she'd take a moment to go to the dentist and get her teeth cleaned if she insists on posting these close-ups of her yellow teeth and swollen gums.  Ugh!

What's odd is how pale her gums are, like she is anemic.  Right after a workout her blood should be circulating well and making everything pink.  If she were a dog, her vet would notice that the pale gums and lethargy indicate the need to perform blood tests.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 12

I HATE exercising and have to make myself do it.  I really wish I liked it and looked forward to it.  And when I'm done I don't feel great about having done it, I just feel happy that it's done until the next day.  I might have a bit of an Eeyore personality like Janelle does.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, smarty2020 said:

I HATE exercising and have to make myself do it.  I really wish I liked it and looked forward to it.  And when I'm done I don't feel great about having done it, I just feel happy that it's done until the next day.  I might have a bit of an Eeyore personality like Janelle does.

Yeah but you aren't representing yourself as a health coach!

• Love 14
12 hours ago, smarty2020 said:

Ditto.  But I don't pretend otherwise. Nor do I present myself as a health coach as DakotaJustice points out. 

She's a sham but doesn't have the sense to acknowledge it.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Blah blah blah HARD blah blah HARRRRRRD and SO BUSY blah EXCERCISE SUCKS blah-de-blahcakes WAHHHHHHHHH blahblahblah etc., etc., etc.

All I got from that post is wondering if that's a cold sore above her lip.

HA!  Bored over the weekend and watched an old ep where Robyn had one of those on her lip.  Mr. Natalie mentioned the herpes.  I laughed and said it is BIG topic of discussion.  They all have had it before.  It is almost like a Brown version of Where's Waldo but Where's the Herpes!

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Blah blah blah HARD blah blah HARRRRRRD and SO BUSY blah EXCERCISE SUCKS blah-de-blahcakes WAHHHHHHHHH blahblahblah etc., etc., etc.

All I got from that post is wondering if that's a cold sore above her lip.

I thought it might be a mole or something but felt odd mentioning it. Aren't cold sores usually on the edge of the lips? I don't remember ever having had one. 

*ETA: When I initially saw it I thought it was a spot on my screen...

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 6