Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

19 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I don't have waffles often (I do own a waffle iron though, it's not a Belgian one - i like my waffles on the traditional side, not super thick, preferably with a bit of a crusty outside and fluffy inside) but when I DO make them, I like making overnight waffles.  they are so yummy!  https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016179-simple-yeasted-waffles

Thanks for the recipes Dakota - I bookmarked this and the massaged kale--can't wait to try!

• Love 1

People with digestion problems typically avoid peppers, which can cause stabbing pains in the gut.  Ginger and turmeric tend to soothe the digestion.  My digestion is fine so I don't add spices to my coffee or foods unless I am in the mood for them.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 8/11/2019 at 2:27 PM, deirdra said:

People with digestion problems typically avoid peppers, which can cause stabbing pains in the gut.  Ginger and turmeric tend to sooth the digestion.  My digestion is fine so I don't add spices to my coffee or foods unless I am in the mood for them.

But... She doesnt want to just add spices. She's going to buy the syrup which probably has a goodly amount of sugar added.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3

Ha.  I was cleaning and dicing a Serrano pepper tonight, wearing my gloves because I’ve learned the hard way (milk helps the burn of pepper juice in the eye) and thought of ol’ Janelle and her coffee. 

Edited by Meowwww
Was making picadillo not coffee
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

But... She doesnt want to just add spices. She's going to buy the syrup which probably has a goodly amount of sugar added.

Oh yeah, I forgot she has to buy some pre-mixed syrup or creamy goo since she is so busy, busy, busy and does not have the time to add a sprinkle of spice and a couple of drops of stevia herself.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 8/13/2019 at 7:48 PM, Meowwww said:

Ha.  I was cleaning and dicing a Serrano pepper tonight, wearing my gloves because I’ve learned the hard way (milk helps the burn of pepper juice in the eye) and thought of ol’ Janelle and her coffee. 

Lol! It's Hatch pepper season where I'm at, so I'm roasting and peeling a lot of those for freezing to last until next year's Hatch season. Definitely made a boo boo taking out my contacts the other night! 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Lol! It's Hatch pepper season where I'm at, so I'm roasting and peeling a lot of those for freezing to last until next year's Hatch season. Definitely made a boo boo taking out my contacts the other night! 

I went to a local grocery store last week and they were roasting the hatch peppers outside the store.  You had to buy a case of peppers, 20 pounds and they would roast them for free.  I don't need that much.   But love to use them in recipes.

• Love 1

I just learned today that mice don't like peppers of any kind. I recently had two mice nests in the engine compartment of my car. The stink that came through my blower was sickening. $300+ later the nests were removed and disinfectant flushed through the air system twice, 2 weeks later the air is almost breathable again. I was buying bird seed today at the Country Store and a clerk said mice can't tolerate Capsasian so I bought jalapeño peppers at the store and chopped them up and put them all around the  car in the garage. I always prefer a natural prevention...will see if this works.

Back OT I wish I  had a source for fresh Hatch peppers roasted or not...one drawback for living in MT!!

Edited by Gramto6
Typo
  • Useful 2
6 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I just learned today that mice don't like peppers of any kind. I recently had two mice nests in the engine compartment of my car. The stink that came through my blower was sickening. $300+ later the nests were removed and disinfectant flushed through the air system twice, 2 weeks later the air is almost breathable again. I was buying bird seed today at the Country Store and a clerk said mice can't tolerate Capsasian so I bought jalapeño peppers at the store and chopped them up and put them all around the  car in the garage. I always prefer a natural prevention...will see if this works.

Back OT I wish I  had a source for fresh Hatch peppers roasted or not...one drawback for living in MT!!

I'm growing some in my backyard...

Hatch peppers not mice that is!

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • LOL 6
14 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Hey Janelle - when you finally get those taxes put together don't forget to PAY THEM!

Maybe with all those kids belonging to a single mother, she gets tax credits and will get a refund!!!  

• Love 3

I have a suspicion that when doing Meri's taxes, they find a way to write off her frequent trips to Chicago.  They will probably consider it a business expense for Meri to go there and personally mentor her 2 most promising downliners, Pudge and Sludge.

If Robyn sold enough MSWCloset junk last year to take it out of the "hobby business" category, Janelle will have a challenge next year, since that business seems to have been defunct since March of this year.

• Love 4

Since the tax deadline was 4 months ago, I presume Janelle uses creative accounting to get the tax owed down to $0 or a refund.  But she might just be dumb enough to incur penalties for late payment due to her procrastination.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Sandy W said:

I have a suspicion that when doing Meri's taxes, they find a way to write off her frequent trips to Chicago.  They will probably consider it a business expense for Meri to go there and personally mentor her 2 most promising downliners, Pudge and Sludge.

If Robyn sold enough MSWCloset junk last year to take it out of the "hobby business" category, Janelle will have a challenge next year, since that business seems to have been defunct since March of this year.

MSWC has been down for MONTHS. MONTHS. 

I guess Robyn just got bored with drawing her little squiggly things.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1

Janelle, just stop.

Drop the Strive and go find a job doing literally anthing else.  Slinging french fries at McDonald's would be a far more meaningful and thoughtful job than spewing the verbal crap you call a "health blog."  Each post is cut and pasted from the last.  First, you tell us how very very very busy and very stressed you are.  Then you look up some random crap on Pinterest that literally anyone could do without your prompting.  Then you wax poetic on your latest "research," followed by letting us know that no, in fact, you actually haven't tried it yourself and if we want to give it a shot, we can Google the risks our %$#% selves because you ain't got time for any real follow-through.  And the sad thing is that there are real people misguidedly going to you for advice and inspiration.  You don't know what you're talking about, so just stop writing.  Also, you can't form a sentence to save your life so that's another fine reason to step away from the laptop.

Between Janelle and Pudge, I'm not even sure which one is worse.

• Love 23

Janelle may find it challenging to put forward cogent blogs away from the comfort zone of her Lazy-Girl recliner at home.  She has been on baby watch with Maddie for going on 3 weeks now and still no results, plus it would be expected that she remain at least a week after the eventual birth.

Janelle had made some vague reference to the bonus moms filling the void in her absence and Gabe would no doubt be fine on his own but I can't help but think of shy Savannah.  Her mom wasn't there for the landmark day of back to school to help her assemble just the right outfit to wear and her hair...never mind, it was Christine who Janelle quite happily assigned the coiffure privilege to in Las Vegas.

I can't help but wonder why supportive daddy Kody didn't ensconce himself in Janelle's home in her absence so there would be minimal interruptions in daily life for Gabe and Savannah or for that matter, footloose bonus mom Meri could have stepped in.  Meri is constantly moaning about how she wanted more kidlets, this would have been a perfect opportunity for her to fulfill those yearnings.  No wait, neither Savannah nor Gabe are Solomon, so they don't count.

• Love 2

I have a feeling that if anything, Christine offered to take Savannah into her own home and make sure she was set for school.  Gabe is probably raising himself at this point.  I'm sure Kody is too busy: A. looking for a new mansion for Robyn to rent, B. tweaking the winding staircases for his fantasy Plyg Palace to make sure none of the wives' potential exits can ever intersect another's entrance and C. napping on Janelle's currently unused La-Z-Boy.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

So Janelle is still on tub-scrub duty in NC ?  Feeding the little always unhappy one some canned cabbage ?  Trying to think she is actually paying taxes or finding ways to skirt them some more ?  I am surprised Kody hasn't requested her to come back to help the queen bee pack and move. 

So if I understand ( been on vacay ) both Meri & Sobyn's rentals were sold and they have or had to move out ?  Did Sobyn find another Mcmansion to rent ? Did Meri also find another 4000 sq ft house for 1 person and some boxes of crap dalarue ? 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Lemons and limes taste different? I’m shook to my core. My life will never be the same. I now feel a little stressed and need to take a few weeks off my job to recover. And taste other citrus fruits to see if they too are different from each other. I may start a blog so that I can share this miraculous news. Subscription only, of course.

• LOL 18
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Lemons I use a lot , anything from Ice Tea to Fish to Chicken dishes, whereas a lime's sole purpose in my house is to be wedged into a bottle of Corona Light

Avocados - if you eat avocados you need to put lime on them.  

Apparently she has never tasted fruit.  Next she'll be telling us that apples are NOT the same thing as pears, or she has discovered that different KINDS of apples taste different.

• LOL 20

Oh my gosh..........if I didn't know better I would swear she reads this thread and is trolling the crap out of us, but I do know better.  Sadly, this is a 40-something woman who JUST found out that there's a difference between lemons and limes.  Let's see - they have different names.  Also different shapes.  Also different colors.  Also - and please correct me if I'm wrong - they grow on different trees.  And I used to think that she was the SMART one.

I am torn between wanting her to just stop posting and get an honest day's work flipping burgers and wanting her to keep imparting us with her deep thoughts because the snark literally writes itself.

Just when I think a Strive post cannot possibly get any dumber....

16 hours ago, monagatuna said:

To be fair, I'll squeeze a lemon into my vodka soda if I'm out of limes...wait...am I Jenelle?

If you look at lemons and limes and notice a difference between the two - any difference at all - you are NOT Janelle.

Edited by laurakaye
  • LOL 18
  • Love 4

Janelle turned 50 in May, but knows less about fruit and vegetables than the average 5 year old!  I hope she knows that if you drop that yellow part of the banana on the floor, someone could slip on it and take a nasty fall.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 14
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Janelle turned 50 in May, but knows less about fruit and vegetables than the average 5 year old!  I hope she knows that if you drop that yellow part of the banana on the floor, someone could slip on it and take a nasty fall.

You are assuming that Janelle knows "banana."

Oh, wait - Meri.  Catfish.  Hahaha yeah, Janelle knows "banana."

• LOL 14

The well is running dry for topics Janelle can blog about.  This is absolute nonsense that she grew up without exposure to citrus fruits.  I am more than 30 years older than Janelle, came from a working-class family, twice the distance from citrus growing areas and without the benefit of giant supermarkets.  Our produce needs were met by small independent grocers, without the benefit of streamlined shipping methods in use by the time she came along.

We had oranges, lemons, and grapefruit always available plus mandarin oranges for the Christmas season.  Limes didn't come into my life until I was an adult and became somewhat adventurous with recipes, but were no doubt available if I had gone looking.  Hell, they were even available 200 years ago to ward off scurvy when shipping and transportation were done by sailing ships. 

• Love 17

There is also a difference between limes and key limes, but that may be too much for Janelle to handle. The key lime (Citrus × aurantiifolia) is a citrus hybrid (C. micrantha x C. medica) and is usually picked while it is still green but it becomes yellow when ripe. It is smaller and seedier, with a higher acidity, a stronger aroma, and a thinner rind, than that of the Persian lime (Citrus × latifolia).

Also, don't be going out in the sun after squeezing citrus fruit and getting it on your wet or sweaty skin or you may get a bad case of phytophotodermatitis.  Look it up, Janelle.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 5
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

The well is running dry for topics Janelle can blog about.  This is absolute nonsense that she grew up without exposure to citrus fruits.  I am more than 30 years older than Janelle, came from a working-class family, twice the distance from citrus growing areas and without the benefit of giant supermarkets.  Our produce needs were met by small independent grocers, without the benefit of streamlined shipping methods in use by the time she came along.

We had oranges, lemons, and grapefruit always available plus mandarin oranges for the Christmas season.  Limes didn't come into my life until I was an adult and became somewhat adventurous with recipes, but were no doubt available if I had gone looking.  Hell, they were even available 200 years ago to ward off scurvy when shipping and transportation were done by sailing ships. 

I don't know, I had a young woman (in her early 20s) tell me this week she had a grapefruit for the first time  just the other day.

Edited by crazycatlady58

Not to mention the plastic replicas of lemons and limes, that look like the Jolly Green Giant's testicles.  OK, that's an old joke!

It's as if Janelle doesn't have a clue how clueless she is.  There's also the fact that she was the only one not raised in the polygamist life, yet she & her mother signed on.  Nuts.

• LOL 9
On 8/21/2019 at 1:22 PM, deirdra said:

Janelle turned 50 in May, but knows less about fruit and vegetables than the average 5 year old!  

Annnnd this is the reason our “professional” health coach is still obese after years of this facade—how does she not know how dumb she comes off? The longer it goes on, the more ridiculous it becomes.  

• Love 7
On 8/21/2019 at 10:02 AM, toodles said:

Hello from Toodles.

Even though I didn't learn this from the super informative Strive site, I have my own rock-star tip of the day.  Are you ready?

Strawberries and bananas.  YOU CAN MIX THEM TOGETHER AND EAT THEM!  I know!  Now I discovered you need to take the yellow part off the banana.  I thought I would pass that tip along so you don't make the same mistake that I did.😮. You also should take the green part off the top of the strawberries.  I'm saving them for a salad.  Now I haven't actually mixed the strawberries and bananas together to try the combo as I'm waiting for a call back from my holistic medicine man to tell me it's ok.  I suggest you consult your own holistic medicine man before you try this.

And get this:  after many hours of research,  I learned you can make a smoothie too.  But I guess you have to put milk and stuff in it too.  I'm still not sure about that.

So that's my tip of the day.  If you need more info, ask Mr.  Google because that's all I got.

This is pure witchcraft!  Saving the green part of the strawberries for a salad? Rockstar!  

On 8/21/2019 at 2:22 PM, deirdra said:

There is also a difference between limes and key limes, but that may be too much for Janelle to handle. The key lime (Citrus × aurantiifolia) is a citrus hybrid (C. micrantha x C. medica) and is usually picked while it is still green but it becomes yellow when ripe. It is smaller and seedier, with a higher acidity, a stronger aroma, and a thinner rind, than that of the Persian lime (Citrus × latifolia).

Also, don't be going out in the sun after squeezing citrus fruit and getting it on your wet or sweaty skin or you may get a bad case of phytophotodermatitis Look it up, Janelle.

I am not Janelle but I did look it up and holy moly!  That is nasty!  I learn so much from this joint!

• Love 5
On 8/16/2019 at 12:11 AM, Gramto6 said:

FYI, if at all possible prop the hood on your vehicle just 4-6 inches.  Rodents hate the light and won't build a nest if there is any light.  My dad had the same thing happen with his and he wasn't going to pay hundreds of dollars to get rid of the odor.  They also messed up the riding mower the same thing.  My brother was able to fix it and now leaves the hood up on that.

• Useful 4