Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

15 minutes ago, ChristmasJones said:

Not to defend Janelle, but one of the reasons people use these cauliflower products in place of bread is because they are trying to keep grains out of their diet.  There are many trendy diet fads going on that involve this. Not sure which, if any, Janelle is trying to follow though.

I think she does it for the same reason I'd do it (and the same reason I bought into the fat-free product fad of the 1990's) - because you can theoretically eat more of whatever it is the item is trying to replicate.  

If Janelle had some sort of grain allergy, we'd ALL know.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

Janelle has taken a shotgun approach in her health journey and hasn't stayed with any one approach long enough for it to be effective. It's long past time for her to stop the self-cure methods and take herself to a physician, then a dietician and tough fitness trainer. 

She's done that though! 

The only time she really had results was with Trainer Sean. 

There's one episode where her weight loss had stalled and he attempted to say to her that she needed to follow a measured eating plan - he had a fitness nutrition expert meet with Janelle and explain food journaling, portion control and all that which Janelle proceeded to blow off.

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

There's one episode where her weight loss had stalled and he attempted to say to her that she needed to follow a measured eating plan - he had a fitness nutrition expert meet with Janelle and explain food journaling, portion control and all that which Janelle proceeded to blow off.

I don't remember that but I do remember that the reason the scale wasn't going down was because while she was, indeed, losing fat she was also gaining lean muscle.  Net result is she was much thinner (she looked the best she's ever looked at the commitment ceremony) but the scale wasn't moving.  I guessing she got frustrated and gave up - like she pretty much does with everything.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

I don't remember that but I do remember that the reason the scale wasn't going down was because while she was, indeed, losing fat she was also gaining lean muscle.  Net result is she was much thinner (she looked the best she's ever looked at the commitment ceremony) but the scale wasn't moving.  I guessing she got frustrated and gave up - like she pretty much does with everything.

I remember the trainer taking Janelle out to the parking lot and they made a big ceremony smashing the scales.  I guess the theory was that the pounds didn't matter.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, DaphneCat said:

Welllllll the thing is that she'd been working out with Sean for awhile. So she was past the initial period where one makes the most muscle gains. I think the average with weight training and proper nutrition is a pound a month muscle gain for women. 

• Useful 1
59 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I totally understand, I guess what I was getting at was the cost - this family of grifters who don't pay their taxes and she is shelling out 7.00 for wraps.  Like @Deirda mentioned above - lettuce wraps.  I can get a head of lettuce from 89-1.49 

Not calling you out personally, just using your comment as an example.....  this family has been on a national TV show for years now.   That is why they don't have to work real jobs.  That is why they were able to buy the four homes in Las Vegas.  If the Teen Moms can pull in over $350K per year each.... how much do the Browns make?  I have no idea how the Browns compare to Teen Mom in terms of what sort of contract they get.  Is it lower, is it higher? I've wished for years that a mole who works with one of these companies would leak some actual numbers.

Due to fools like us watching these shows, lazy, delusional, shameless assholes get to make money just living their lives. WE the viewers provide them that income.  

• Love 5

I would put money on Gabe going to University of Arizona or Arizona State. He still gets in-state tuition but also gets a chance to live farther away from home. The only reason to go to NAU would be if he wanted to live at home and save on housing. 

Here is California avocado toast is becoming common on menus but I have never actually seen anyone order it. I love avocado on toast as long as it includes turkey, cheese and bacon as well.  

The Browns will never make as much as the People on Teen Mom. First, TLC does not pay MTV money because it never had the same type of ratings nor can it charge as much for advertising. MTV targets 18-34 who are the prime demographic advertisers want and will pay good money to advertise during those shows. Easier to sell advertising targeted at them than at people who watch a polygamy  game train wreck and whose ratings can’t compete. I would bet the Browns will take any money thrown at them because they don’t have any other options. It’s not like they can threaten to go to another network and start a new show under a new name. No one else would want them. 

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, ChristmasJones said:

Not calling you out personally, just using your comment as an example.....  this family has been on a national TV show for years now.   That is why they don't have to work real jobs.  That is why they were able to buy the four homes in Las Vegas.  If the Teen Moms can pull in over $350K per year each.... how much do the Browns make?  I have no idea how the Browns compare to Teen Mom in terms of what sort of contract they get.  Is it lower, is it higher? I've wished for years that a mole who works with one of these companies would leak some actual numbers.

Due to fools like us watching these shows, lazy, delusional, shameless assholes get to make money just living their lives. WE the viewers provide them that income.  

I don't think TLC pays that much, I heard rumblings that they were getting cancelled - but Kody said he would take 180K for last season for all of them, now is there any truth to this ? I don't know.  If they were raking in the bucks, they would have started building on prairie plague place.  They have been on the air for years, but I don't think they are that good with money and remember there are 5 adults and 18 or 19 kids. Being none of the parents had a "full time" job once filming began I wonder if the kids even have/had  health insurance.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, MakingBacon said:

I would put money on Gabe going to University of Arizona or Arizona State. He still gets in-state tuition but also gets a chance to live farther away from home. The only reason to go to NAU would be if he wanted to live at home and save on housing. 

Here is California avocado toast is becoming common on menus but I have never actually seen anyone order it. I love avocado on toast as long as it includes turkey, cheese and bacon as well.  

The Browns will never make as much as the People on Teen Mom. First, TLC does not pay MTV money because it never had the same type of ratings nor can it charge as much for advertising. MTV targets 18-34 who are the prime demographic advertisers want and will pay good money to advertise during those shows. Easier to sell advertising targeted at them than at people who watch a polygamy  game train wreck and whose ratings can’t compete. I would bet the Browns will take any money thrown at them because they don’t have any other options. It’s not like they can threaten to go to another network and start a new show under a new name. No one else would want them. 

Discovery Networks also trademarked the title "Sister Wives" for use in TV and media.  Amen on how much (or how little) the Browns make from TLC.  They don't get residuals either.    Has MTV or the cast of Teen Moms actually CONFIRMED how much they make, or is it just gossip and conjecture?  The networks usually like to keep that a big secret to keep up the facade.  I doubt that any mole at Discovery Networks would leak that info because it's not worth their job.  The only leak i can recall is that book that came out on Amazon about How Kate Gosselin Fooled the World which included the payment info the family received during Jon and Kate Plus 8.  It's on Kindle Unlimited if you want to read it!

There's actually a cafe in my town called Avocado Toast that specializes (I suppose, never been inside) in different kinds.  🙂  Mostly I see people order it at Philz Coffee where it's apparently a popular item.  

I'd LOVE to see Gabe live away from home.  If Logan was able to do it, Gabe certainly should!

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 1

I can guarantee you that there is not a single place in my area that sells avocado toast.  In fact, don't know a single place that has avocado on the menu in any dish!

It's just not something found in northern Michigan.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

I remember the trainer taking Janelle out to the parking lot and they made a big ceremony smashing the scales.  I guess the theory was that the pounds didn't matter.

It was in the episode from 2013 "A Wife Decides".  The name of the nutrition trainer was Kettlebell Bombshell.  If you're watching on the TLC app, it's about 22 minutes in.

Janelle is complaining about the scale not moving after months and months.  Even though she doesn't have a scale at home, she weighs in at the gym with Sean.  (this is after the scale destroy episode)  She's gained weight - she was down to 232 and now she's up 10 pounds.

Sean points out she's lost 2.5 inches over a month and he's tired of hearing hear whine about the scale instead of focusing on the other signs of progress and how she feels and looks different. the inches are coming off and you have to buy new clothes.

Sean says he has a nutritionist that he works with, and that he wants her to tighten up her diet and get the entire family involved.  Already at this point Janelle is going on and on about food allergies.  

The Bombshell tells her that she needs to eat denser foods with more nutritional value and she'll have better skin and more energy for her workouts.

She says they're going back to her 1500 calorie diet but with specific foods and she has recipes that she wants Janelle to follow.  

*and of course we know that didn't happen*

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 7/2/2019 at 8:11 PM, DakotaJustice said:

I semi fondly recall the Fresh Horizons and Hollywood sawdust bread from the 1970s...

Oh and AYDS candy. I told my fitness coach about it, and he thought I was making it up. Found an old magazine ad via Google and he laughed for 2 minutes straight.

ETA: I think I've determined why Janelle hasn't lost weight. 

Avocado, butter, honey.

And I see something suspiciously similar to mayonnaise under the turkey.

On 7/2/2019 at 8:26 PM, xwordfanatik said:

I remember Ayds!  Too bad they aren't still making them, Janelle could try them and announce another rock star!  

As I remember, they did nothing to curb appetite.  Why do I also remember that one of the varieties was not recommended for anyone with previous dental work?

My mind retains the weirdest trivial crap sometimes.

OMG, Ayds candies! I ate the box I had like they were real candies, gone in two days. Not even sure what was in them,  and just now realizing how that was probably not the smartest thing to do!

• LOL 5
On 7/3/2019 at 6:11 PM, DakotaJustice said:

The name of the nutrition trainer was Kettlebell Bombshell.

Seriously?  Not someone I'd listen to for a hot minute. I'd be laughing too hard.

• LOL 3
16 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

OMG, Ayds candies! I ate the box I had like they were real candies, gone in two days. Not even sure what was in them,  and just now realizing how that was probably not the smartest thing to do!

I did that as a teen and 3 days later was in the hospital getting my ruptured appendix removed.  So consider yourself lucky.  The ingredients in Ayds were secret, so I never knew if it was a coincidence or not.  Ayds makers said they took them off the market in the 1980s due to the AIDS crisis, but why didn't they just rename them? Unless they really did include harmful ingredients. Or were they just plain old caramels that cause weight gain instead of weight loss?

• Useful 1
35 minutes ago, deirdra said:

I did that as a teen and 3 days later was in the hospital getting my ruptured appendix removed.  So consider yourself lucky.  The ingredients in Ayds were secret, so I never knew if it was a coincidence or not.  Ayds makers said they took them off the market in the 1980s due to the AIDS crisis, but why didn't they just rename them? Unless they really did include harmful ingredients. Or were they just plain old caramels that cause weight gain instead of weight loss?

Omg! That's crazy. I certainly would have suspected the candies at the time, but it was probably a coincidence.

Here is the Wikipedia page on them:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayds

From wiki: "The active ingredient was originally benzocaine, presumably to reduce the sense of taste to reduce eating, later changed in the candy to phenylpropanolamine."  

It was 1973, so presumably the original version.  Benzocaine blocks nerve signals from the body, so perhaps I didn't feel pain in my gut until it had gone on too long.  I wondered why I was compulsively eating the Ayds when they weren't that yummy. Perhaps it was to numb the pain.

Symptoms of a phenylpropanolamine overdose include extreme tiredness, sweating, dizziness, a slow heart beat, and a coma.  Maybe that is why they really were taken off the market, or this: Nov 6, 2000 - The FDA is taking steps to remove phenylpropanolamine hydrochloride from all drug products due to the risk of hemorrhagic stroke.

• Useful 2

how’s your big old sombrero there Robyn? I seem to recall her freaking out about the hat she wore to Aspyn’s wedding, ‘I never wear hats, my poor hair etc’. Also I know it’s hard to tell when she’s sitting but anyone else think her middle section’s thicker? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I know I wouldn’t be dressed like some of them are, if it was, “only 80°”.

80 degrees in Michigan?  Everyone is in t-shirts and shorts.  How these women wear pants and long-sleeved shirts in 80 degree weather is beyond me.

Is that Day'un in the back?  And Brianna is turning into a real beauty.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

80 degrees in Michigan?  Everyone is in t-shirts and shorts.  How these women wear pants and long-sleeved shirts in 80 degree weather is beyond me.

Gives real meaning to their term "modest is hottest".

• LOL 6

I will give them the benefit of the doubt about clothing at the parade. It may be 80 at the parade but the temp may drop steeply when it comes time for the fireworks. Here in Southern California, if it gets up to 80, it may be 60 by fireworks time. It may be that way in flagstaff right now. If the high is 80ish here, I don’t tend to wear shorts because I know the temp will start dropping around 3pm.

• Useful 4
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, MakingBacon said:

I will give them the benefit of the doubt about clothing at the parade. It may be 80 at the parade but the temp may drop steeply when it comes time for the fireworks. Here in Southern California, if it gets up to 80, it may be 60 by fireworks time. It may be that way in flagstaff right now. If the high is 80ish here, I don’t tend to wear shorts because I know the temp will start dropping around 3pm.

Yeah, 80 degrees and low humidity is quite comfortable. Unfortunately the humidity in the Northeast can get up there, last summer was rough and this summer is getting there. I don't know how people down south can handle it! Well, I know I know, air conditioning, but I'd much rather have the doors and windows open, fresh air and a nice breeze. Not near enough days like that in New England, let alone farther south.

• Love 10
On 5/22/2019 at 11:57 AM, ginger90 said:

B8B6DCF9-8E3E-4AF4-B6B0-03234B1C86A1.jpeg

Garrison has added women's swimwear and sundresses to his shop. All the clothes are from AliExpress/Alibaba/Wish and sold at a markup.  He is selling a sunflower sundress on his site for $25.00 but it is $6.54 on AliExpress and $5.99 on Alibaba.  He uses the same pictures as well.  Much nicer fit and patterns then Lularoe in my opinion.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

Garrison posted a while ago about this clothing. I think I , or someone else put it here. I’ll put it below. At the time, Christine left a comment about her not having met the girlfriend. That comment has now been deleted. Some comments remain, one of which tells Garrison that he only has one mother, girlfriends come and go. So, apparently Garrison commented in response to Christine, and then it all got deleted. 🤷🏼‍♀️

9A02EA90-9ABA-4881-AAFA-38AE05847E8A.jpeg

The person must have been confused though, because Janelle is his mother.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, lettsjetts said:

Garrison has added women's swimwear and sundresses to his shop. All the clothes are from AliExpress/Alibaba/Wish and sold at a markup.  He is selling a sunflower sundress on his site for $25.00 but it is $6.54 on AliExpress and $5.99 on Alibaba.  He uses the same pictures as well.  Much nicer fit and patterns then Lularoe in my opinion.  

That seems a bit sketchy, doesn't it? I know there are people who sell things on Ebay that are available on Walmart.com and Amazon, they just mark up the price and then drop ship them. I always check other websites when I find something on Ebay to make sure it's not available cheaper somewhere else.

• Love 5
29 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I always check other websites when I find something on Ebay to make sure it's not available cheaper somewhere else.

I am the same way and am proud of being frugal! 😊 When I saw Garrison post about the sundresses I did a google image search for "sunflower sundress" and got hits from AliExpress etc. for next to nothing. The black sunflower dress is $21.99 on amazon right now but it can be found a few places for under $7.00.  The same stock images are used for all the sites. 

• Love 6

I think Alibaba/AliExpress/"Whatever" are Chinese companies = very low quality maybe same level as lulano! Basically a cheapo way to make $$. See the markup he is posting. Sad that he is going down this road too... 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, lettsjetts said:
2 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I always check other websites when I find something on Ebay to make sure it's not available cheaper somewhere else.

I am the same way and am proud of being frugal! 😊 When I saw Garrison post about the sundresses I did a google image search for "sunflower sundress" and got hits from AliExpress etc. for next to nothing. The black sunflower dress is $21.99 on amazon right now but it can be found a few places for under $7.00.  The same stock images are used for all the sites. 

1 minute ago, Gramto6 said:

I think Alibaba/AliExpress/"Whatever" are Chinese companies = very low quality maybe same level as lulano! Basically a cheapo way to make $$. See the markup he is posting. Sad that he is going down this road too... 

Yes, why would you pay more for something just because some "celebrity" is shilling it?  I think most of the kids start down that path (be interesting to see of some of the other sons resist all together) and SOME of them (primarily Logan, don't know yet if Maddie will still be doing the MLM crap after the next baby) come to the realization that this is NOT the way they want to live their lives.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, DaphneCat said:

Yes, why would you pay more for something just because some "celebrity" is shilling it?  I think most of the kids start down that path (be interesting to see of some of the other sons resist all together) and SOME of them (primarily Logan, don't know yet if Maddie will still be doing the MLM crap after the next baby) come to the realization that this is NOT the way they want to live their lives.

I am so afraid that the grifting life is just so ingrained in most of these kids that that is the way they will go. I am so happy to see the boys, Logan and the others forge their own way and sincerely hope the "littles" will follow in their footsteps and not that of the grifting kids.

• Love 11
(edited)
23 hours ago, laurakaye said:

When you are used to the 100s (or where I am, 110+), 80 feels cool. I was visiting family in the midwest and wearing jeans and long sleeves when it was in the 80s. And as far as humidity, I'll take that over the blast furnace that is the Colorado river valley in AZ. At least when there's a breeze with humidity, it feels cool--I especially enjoyed the days in the 90s with high humidity.

Regarding AZ, when people say to me, "But it's a dry heat", I want to tell them to fuck off--YOU go rescue the boy scouts in the canyon when it's 120 degrees at 3pm and see how you feel about that dry heat afterwards. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • LOL 2
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

...when people say to me, "But it's a dry heat"....

I always think that's hilarious. Inside my oven it's "dry heat" but I wouldn't want to live there!

Give me my Michigan seasons any day of the weeks. You couldn't pay me to live anywhere else. But I have seen visitors from the south and west in sweatshirts while we're in shorts.  I've seen people in shorts when the brutal cold breaks and we get all the way up to freezing!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Regarding AZ, when people say to me, "But it's a dry heat" . . . 

I always respond, "Your oven is also a dry heat.  Do you want to live in your oven?"

Even so, I'd never live anywhere else!

1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

I always think that's hilarious. Inside my oven it's "dry heat" but I wouldn't want to live there!

Great minds posting at the same time!

• Love 4
1 minute ago, AZChristian said:

I always respond, "Your oven is also a dry heat.  Do you want to live in your oven?"

Even so, I'd never live anywhere else!

Wish I could say the same. I'm so over it and would like to retire living amongst rolling, green hills with a spring fed stream and some acres for agriculture and fruit trees (and doesn't require razor wire to keep every living thing from eating EVERYTHING). 

• Love 1
(edited)
17 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Give me my Michigan seasons any day of the weeks. You couldn't pay me to live anywhere else. But I have seen visitors from the south and west in sweatshirts while we're in shorts.  I've seen people in shorts when the brutal cold breaks and we get all the way up to freezing!

Exactly - we may get three months of cold and snow, but it's rare that it happens every single day, all winter long.  I will take that over oppressive humidity, hurricane, tornadoes and earthquakes.  And alligators.  Oh, and snakes.  Plus, you've never seen a happier community than a bunch of Michiganders who finally get to open their windows and wear shorts once spring hits. 🙂

Speaking of which, any Cali people here, and are you okay after the earthquakes?

And to bring this back to topic, it bums me out that Garrison is going the way of marked-up clothing salesman.  But I guess most of the other boys are escaping the grifting trap, so it's not a total loss.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

But I guess most of the other boys are escaping the grifting trap, so it's not a total loss.

We can only hope.  Maybe being out in the real world will help to pull them away from that lifestyle, especially those who are entering the military.  There are no "influencers", only comrades-in-arms.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Garrison posted a while ago about this clothing. I think I , or someone else put it here. I’ll put it below. At the time, Christine left a comment about her not having met the girlfriend. That comment has now been deleted. Some comments remain, one of which tells Garrison that he only has one mother, girlfriends come and go. So, apparently Garrison commented in response to Christine, and then it all got deleted. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Christine’s post is still there, some other poster commented Christine should have that conversation with Garrison and not on SM.  Garrison posted Christine was being sarcastic, but whoever posted about the one mother, shouldn’t he or she have posted that he only has FOUR mothers LOL.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

When you are used to the 100s (or where I am, 110+), 80 feels cool. I was visiting family in the midwest and wearing jeans and long sleeves when it was in the 80s. And as far as humidity, I'll take that over the blast furnace that is the Colorado river valley in AZ. At least when there's a breeze with humidity, it feels cool--I especially enjoyed the days in the 90s with high humidity.

Regarding AZ, when people say to me, "But it's a dry heat", I want to tell them to fuck off--YOU go rescue the boy scouts in the canyon when it's 120 degrees at 3pm and see how you feel about that dry heat afterwards. 

80 and dry is beautiful - above 90 and dry is just too damn hot. But 90s and humid is absolutely dreadful! The air is stifling and you just sweat through everything. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Christine’s post is still there, some other poster commented Christine should have that conversation with Garrison and not on SM.  Garrison posted Christine was being sarcastic, but whoever posted about the one mother, shouldn’t he or she have posted that he only has FOUR mothers LOL.

That’s weird. For me, the comments show nothing from Christine or Garrison. I saw Christine’s when the post was first up, and now, nothing. Creepy.

22 hours ago, ginger90 said:

@ginger90 nah it’s still there, just went and checked. Maybe you did what I did when checking and went to the hiking pic by the waterfall instead with only 8 comments instead of the Disney pic? I caught my error just in time before coming back to agree with you 😆 

F933B173-3566-4EE9-89A8-DD17D64D647C.jpeg

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Sofa Sloth said:

@ginger90 nah it’s still there, just went and checked. Maybe you did what I did when checking and went to the hiking pic by the waterfall instead with only 8 comments instead of the Disney pic? I caught my error just in time before coming back to agree with you 😆 

F933B173-3566-4EE9-89A8-DD17D64D647C.jpeg

That’s exactly what happened! Someone commented in the waterfall picture about it. Ok,  not creepy anymore. Thanks.

Edited by ginger90
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I liked the comment about not having a private discussion on social media, but I don't understand Garrison's response that Christine was being sarcastic.  That makes it OK?  Or was Christine's comment sarcastic because she never gets to meet his GFs.  

• Love 1