Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, New2this said:

Flag is having it’s 10 or so day stretch of what is considered “hot” with highs in the low 80s. Most homes don’t have a/c so it does get hot and stuffy inside if you don’t have fans going. My kids spend lots of time shirtless. Cools off wonderfully in the evening though.

I’m guessing he’s planning on attending NAU because it’s in state and not because he’d rather be there than in Las Vegas. It appears more like he’d just rather get the heck out of Flag High which didn’t seem to be the case in LV. Agree with the comment that I hope he gets a chance to live in the dorms instead of having to live at home. 

I'm just remembering back when they were buying the Vegas houses and Janelle insisted on having a room for Logan even though he made it crystal clear that he didn't want to live at home when he started at UNLV. 

Janelle thought she could change his mind but he was pretty steadfast about it, because he knew that he'd end up being the babysitter and Mr Fix-It if he stayed.

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I'm just remembering back when they were buying the Vegas houses and Janelle insisted on having a room for Logan even though he made it crystal clear that he didn't want to live at home when he started at UNLV. 

Janelle thought she could change his mind but he was pretty steadfast about it, because he knew that he'd end up being the babysitter and Mr Fix-It if he stayed.

I remember when he tried to make his speech to the whole family and they barely listened to him say that he was expecting that they treat him "...like a college student" I think he was the smartest of the bunch who knew he had to break to get a break.  If he stayed at home he would never get any work done and he knew it.

• Love 12
36 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

I remember when he tried to make his speech to the whole family and they barely listened to him say that he was expecting that they treat him "...like a college student" I think he was the smartest of the bunch who knew he had to break to get a break.  If he stayed at home he would never get any work done and he knew it.

Quite right, and I think the boys are learning from Logan since most of them are also bailing.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

Pro tip 1, courtesy of Mariah: you can eat leftovers in your fridge

Pro tip 2: you could also get one of those tables for invalids and cut up veggies while you are sitting on the couch or bed

I am NOT a cook, however I do slice and dice the vegetables.  Tonight I informed Mr. Cat (the cook) that you actually CAN cut the vegetables ahead of time.  He asked if Janelle had previously been under the impression that if you cut them early all the nutrients went away by the time you ate them.  I had to say, this theory made perfect sense.  I'm so glad we have Janelle to let us know this doesn't really happen.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, New2this said:

Agree with the comment that I hope he gets a chance to live in the dorms instead of having to live at home. 

So do I and I hope he resists Janelle wanting to "raise" him at home.  Logan, Mariah, Maddie, Aspyn, Mykelti, Hunter & Garrison all got out of their mommies' houses for at least a year after highschool, and Gabe needs to be freed too. Get Christine on your side, Gabe, she believes kids should leave the nest at 18 and he's been 18 since January.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Agree with the comment that I hope he gets a chance to live in the dorms instead of having to live at home.

The one upside to living at home while attending school is you are not racking up unnecessary debt.  I get it kids want that living away from home experience.  Living expenses are often more than your tuition.

• Love 13
6 minutes ago, Pickleinthemiddle said:

The one upside to living at home while attending school is you are not racking up unnecessary debt.  I get it kids want that living away from home experience.  Living expenses are often more than your tuition.

Very true. Unlike Logan, Gabe is lucky in that he wouldn't be playing dad to a herd of little siblings. Savanah is content in her room and Janelle is out of the house at 4 am to work out and then wander the aisles of Whole Foods, so it's got to be a nice, quiet place for studying.

• LOL 7
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Interesting that it's dated March 2019 and that she invited comments.  To date, there have been no responses at all.

@Kohola3 please oh please, post your comment on it! ‘Your blathering is absolutely senseless and mind numbing’ harsh perhaps, but then she did invite feedback on her blogging skills sooo... 😉 

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Sofa Sloth said:

@Kohola3 please oh please, post your comment on it!

Would if I could - but you have to create an account including your email address. I fear receiving an avalanche of stuff she's shilling.

Gotta love her comment about drinking plain water and eating peanut butter out of a jar at the same time she's advertising expensive energy drinks and scarfing down avocado toast at trendy breakfast joints.

Hypocritical much?

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, deirdra said:

So do I and I hope he resists Janelle wanting to "raise" him at home.  Logan, Mariah, Maddie, Aspyn, Mykelti, Hunter & Garrison all got out of their mommies' houses for at least a year after highschool, and Gabe needs to be freed too. Get Christine on your side, Gabe, she believes kids should leave the nest at 18 and he's been 18 since January.

That is why I think she bribed him with the dog. To appease him from tearing him away from friends in Vegas and now to get him to stay at home while he goes to NAU, he is the youngest boy/young man of her clan, she has to have her "man of the house" stay around because the sperm donor is off boinking Robyn

1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

After all these years, I finally figured out that when I put water in the freezer, it turns to ice.  Also, when I push the little "on" button on my tv remote, my television turns on.  And get this - hold on to your hats, this one is a bit cray-cray -- when I put one foot in front of the other, I am WALKING.  Feel free to use any of these ideas as your own!  But first make your checks out to "DUHH With LauraKaye."  $34.99 per month!  You're welcome. 

Will you be offering a groupon for us who post here ?  

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

That is why I think she bribed him with the dog. To appease him from tearing him away from friends in Vegas and now to get him to stay at home while he goes to NAU, he is the youngest boy/young man of her clan, she has to have her "man of the house" stay around because the sperm donor is off boinking Robyn

Please?

• LOL 4
On 6/29/2019 at 4:27 PM, Galloway Cave said:

Yes, that collar is too tight.

I own a reformed feral and I use a harness on her. She wants to jog faster than I can walk and it's the only way to remind her to slow down without choking her. I also use a 25' reeling leash to let her have some room to move.

Has someone posted a message to her that the dog's collar is too tight?  I suspect he's good at slipping collars and that's why it's so tight--or at least I hope it's not that they are ignoring him and haven't noticed. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I'm sorry, no.  But every membership includes a coupon for 10% off a chocolate cupcake and a 6-ounce cup of lemonade from the Flagstaff farmer's market.

• LOL 10
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

I'm sorry, no.  But every membership includes a coupon for 10% off a chocolate cupcake and a 6-ounce cup of lemonade from the Flagstaff farmer's market.

** stomps off to sulk in car whilst eating my cupcake and slurping down my lemonade

• LOL 14
On 6/30/2019 at 11:04 AM, ginger90 said:

From Strive with Janelle Facebook:

Cutting up veggies for tonight’s stir fry.  It’s early morning and these veggies are for dinner.  However after all these years I finally figured out that I can cut up veggies at any time during the day that I have a minute.  

Let’s be honest, when you are tired and under pressure to get dinner on the table, cutting up the vegetables can be a barrier to getting something healthy on the table.  Cutting them up earlier is a huge help.  

I often buy pre-cut veggies from the store.  I used to balk at paying the extra couple of dollars but realized it was better than whole bunches of veggies going to waste because I didn’t have the wherewithal to cut them up.  

But if I don’t have pre-cut then this little hack of cutting them up whenever I have a minute during the day, even if dinner is a long way off, has helped me immensely with getting healthy meals on the table when everyone is hungry and tired.

6A54B2B1-1053-47DF-AC70-5FCAAB8DDB69.jpeg

So wait a minute.  Does Janelle think that restaurants cut up all the veggies when people order?  Does she think that they don't do any prep work. Has she never put a stew in a crockpot?  Made relish tray?  How about a salad bar at her beloved Whole Foods?  How does she think pre-cut veggies get in the bag?  Granted, I realize machines do much of the slicing and dicing but you get the idea.

Christine needs to pull her aside and tell her a thing or a hundred.  She fed a bazillion kids every day.  Back in the day she had this shit down pat.

Fixing stuff ahead of time is a food hack?  I'm just SMDH.  And that she posts about her latest rockstar find just boogles my mind.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
10 hours ago, laurakaye said:

And get this - hold on to your hats, this one is a bit cray-cray -- when I put one foot in front of the other, I am WALKING.  

Except if the foot in front is perched on toddler toes at a 45 degree angle to the other leg, you may fall on your face rather than accomplish "walking".

Maybe if Janelle pictured Kody's face on the vegetables, she'd take pleasure in slicing and dicing them.

Edited by deirdra
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, toodles said:

So wait a minute.  Does Janelle think that restaurants cut up all the veggies when people order?  Does she think that they don't do any prep work. Has she never put a stew in a crockpot?  Made relish tray?  How about a salad bar at her beloved Whole Foods?  How does she think pre-cut veggies get in the bag?  Granted, I realize machines do much of the slicing and dicing but you get the idea.

Christine needs to pull her aside and tell her a thing or a hundred.  She fed a bazillion kids every day.  Back in the day she had this shit down pat.

Fixing stuff ahead of time is a food hack?  I'm just SMDH.  And that she posts about her latest rockstar find just boogles my mind.

I dunno about Christine - what I recall seeing of her culinary skills didn't impress me. 

• Two bags of fish sticks, two bags of tater tots, 4 cans of corn, tortillas. Fish sticks and tots unceremoniously dumped onto cookie sheets and served on the same cookie sheets plopped on the table.
  • Mock tapioca - cream of wheat, sugar, milk. Cook in giant vat.
  • Chanukah meal - cut perfectly good artichokes in half and burn on the BBQ. 
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I dunno about Christine - what I recall seeing of her culinary skills didn't impress me. 

• Two bags of fish sticks, two bags of tater tots, 4 cans of corn, tortillas. Fish sticks and tots unceremoniously dumped onto cookie sheets and served on the same cookie sheets plopped on the table.

I was thinking about her organization skills, not necessarily her cooking skills.  Food? Not so much.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

Except if the foot in front is perched on toddler toes at a 45 degree angle to the other leg, you may fall on your face rather than accomplish "walking".

Maybe if Janelle pictured Kody's face on the vegetables, she'd take pleasure in slicing and dicing them.

I'd vote for Meri's face!  I think Janelle still believes Kootie is all that.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
15 hours ago, toodles said:

So wait a minute.  Does Janelle think that restaurants cut up all the veggies when people order? 

I don't think Janelle really "thinks" about anything.  I feel like she sits down at a restaurant table, places her order and zones out while waiting for the magic food to appear before her.

And to think many of us thought that she was the "smart" one.

14 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

Hahaha, is that really her mock tapioca recipe?  I like Cream of Wheat - I am trying figure out how it equates to tapioca, though....

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 3
(edited)

There used to be a website for all the Brown family recipes, including the mock tapioca and ravioli, tater tots and even a contribution from Meri for some kind of dessert bar composed of soda crackers and butterscotch.  Maybe Meri was years ahead of the salted caramel trend.

I couldn't find the website just now, but I did come across an event Christine staged on one of her LLR presentations.  She cooked a gluten-free omelet but the catch was, you had to buy a LLR garment to get the actual recipe.

EDIT!!!  I was mistaken, the recipe was for a gluten-free quiche, not omelet.

Edited by Sandy W
Old eyes
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

She cooked a gluten-free omelet...

A what?  What the heck kind of omelet would even HAVE gluten in it.  Do these morons even know what gluten is?  Who puts grain in their omelet?

Arrrgggghhhhh....

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

A what?  What the heck kind of omelet would even HAVE gluten in it.  Do these morons even know what gluten is?  Who puts grain in their omelet?

Arrrgggghhhhh....

IHOP

• Love 2
(edited)
40 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

There used to be a website for all the Brown family recipes, including the mock tapioca and ravioli, tater tots and even a contribution from Meri for some kind of dessert bar composed of soda crackers and butterscotch.  Maybe Meri was years ahead of the salted caramel trend.

I couldn't find the website just now, but I did come across an event Christine staged on one of her LLR presentations.  She cooked a gluten-free omelet but the catch was, you had to buy a LLR garment to get the actual recipe.

TLC has taken it down but thank God for Pinterest.

Damn that's a lot of sugar! Also I don't think the photo is the actual recipe. When the recipe was featured on the show it looked pretty gloppy to me. You know, like...cream of wheat.

D0FE70DE-E742-4EA1-BE71-6EA4EB4FE1C9.jpeg

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

TLC has taken it down but thank God for Pinterest.

Damn that's a lot of sugar! Also I don't think the photo is the actual recipe. When the recipe was featured on the show it looked pretty gloppy to me. You know, like...cream of wheat.

D0FE70DE-E742-4EA1-BE71-6EA4EB4FE1C9.jpeg

Actually making tapioca pudding is a lot easier than this recipe.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Juliegirlj said:

Many restaurants put soy products on their foods to “improve “ flavor. Soy has gluten in it. (Unless special gluten free soy is used). 

Soy itself is a bean and contains no grain.  Some items made with soy (like soy sauce) have additional ingredients so may be an issue. 

But I can't imagine the need for any type of secret recipe for "gluten free" omelets worth buying a polyester rag.  Just make it the normal way with, you know, eggs.   Maybe her "secret" is to avoid the toast?

2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Ummm...aren't all omelets glutten free?

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, toodles said:

Ummm...aren't all omelets glutten free?

Uh-Oh, I have to back up here.  It was a gluten-free quiche.  I stated omelet in error---my apologies to Christine, I guess she's sharing a quiche recipe without a pastry crust.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, Sandy W said:

Spend $50+ on some poly shit for the recipe or use that new fangled Google.  Decisions, decisions.  

Edited by Natalie68
  • LOL 9
19 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

Maybe she'll throw in her secret recipe for vegetarian oatmeal.

Or the secret recipe for how to appear giddy with glee when you live with:- 

1 man (ha,ha)

4 anxious women

18 kids

simmer for 25 years

Enjoy the stew

• LOL 10
2 hours ago, Sandy W said:

It was a gluten-free quiche.

OK, that makes more sense.  Not enough to spend any money on ugly crap I'd never wear but at least she wasn't as moronic as I thought when I read omelet!

• Love 2

From Strive with Janelle Facebook:

Following up with you guys to report on these cauliflower toasts I purchased from the store.  I’m surprised how functional they are.  You need to bake them on a wire rack or with something that allows the air to circulate.  I used my toaster oven but now I’m thinking you may be able to use an air fryer as well.  They hold together when you pick you your “toast” and have a pretty neutral taste when paired with more savory items.  I taste tested them with my 3 basic toast/sandwich types that I eat .  Deli turkey, avocado toast and butter and honey.  I did notice a slight taste with the butter and honey but not enough that I wouldn’t eat it again.

At 50 calories I think these are an awesome find.  Has anyone made anything like these toasts at home ?

2E9CF4FC-EFDC-48D0-A8D2-17A6B7E95409.jpeg

• LOL 1
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

They hold together when you pick you your “toast”...

I have absolutely no idea what she's trying to convey here, except for the fact that nobody in this family can proofread. Saddness.

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Yeah if you want to pay 6.99 for that.  For 2.98 I can buy my Flat Out wraps and they have 40 more calories. So yeah, I can probably sneeze those extra calories off and spend the extra money I am saving and buy some chicken or tuna to throw in that wrap.  

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Yeah if you want to pay 6.99 for that.  For 2.98 I can buy my Flat Out wraps and they have 40 more calories. So yeah, I can probably sneeze those extra calories off and spend the extra money I am saving and buy some chicken or tuna to throw in that wrap.  

OR you can get REAL bread sliced extra thin at the bakery. Voila. 

• Love 6

Our grocery stores here sell "diet" extra thin sliced bread in the regular bread section.  Just like Janelle had to wake up and look at the produce section, maybe she needs to look at the bread section also.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
38 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Our grocery stores here sell "diet" extra thin sliced bread in the regular bread section.  Just like Janelle had to wake up and look at the produce section, maybe she needs to look at the bread section also.

I semi fondly recall the Fresh Horizons and Hollywood sawdust bread from the 1970s...

Oh and AYDS candy. I told my fitness coach about it, and he thought I was making it up. Found an old magazine ad via Google and he laughed for 2 minutes straight.

ETA: I think I've determined why Janelle hasn't lost weight. 

Avocado, butter, honey.

And I see something suspiciously similar to mayonnaise under the turkey.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I semi fondly recall the Fresh Horizons and Hollywood sawdust bread from the 1970s...

Oh and AYDS candy. I told my fitness coach about it, and he thought I was making it up. Found an old magazine ad via Google and he laughed for 2 minutes straight.

I remember Ayds!  Too bad they aren't still making them, Janelle could try them and announce another rock star!  

As I remember, they did nothing to curb appetite.  Why do I also remember that one of the varieties was not recommended for anyone with previous dental work?

My mind retains the weirdest trivial crap sometimes.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I taste tested them with my 3 basic toast/sandwich types that I eat .  Deli turkey, avocado toast and butter and honey.

What is it with these people and the avocado toast?  I'd never even heard of it before these postings.  And butter and honey sandwiches?  Color that nutrition free.

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, Sofa Sloth said:

I know! (not really on Janelle topic), but it’s a running joke here in Australia about millennials and their love of expensive meals like this, stopping them from affording property. 

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/may/15/australian-millionaire-millennials-avocado-toast-house

How pricey are avocados down under?? Here in California they're quite cheap. I know several friends and co-workers who have trees in their yard.

That said, avocado toast itself, purchased at a coffee bar or what have you, is pretty spendy, considering.

3 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

How pricey are avocados down under?? Here in California they're quite cheap. I know several friends and co-workers who have trees in their yard.

That said, avocado toast itself, purchased at a coffee bar or what have you, is pretty spendy, considering.

I’m not a huge fan of them (except in guacamole 😉) but I know last year there was a huge shortage and we were paying anywhere from $4 to upwards of $8 for a single avocado, depending on the store!

I think they are always pricey in cafe meals, upwards of $15-22 dollars for avo on toast. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, neh said:

Actually making tapioca pudding is a lot easier than this recipe.

Indeed, no separating eggs or finding a pot big enough to hold 16 cups of milk, all that sugar and a dash of (non-gluten-free) cream of wheat.

There are cheaper things in the produce section you can use for sandwiches - cabbage or lettuce leaves as wraps. One ingredient, no processed crap included.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 6

Not to defend Janelle, but one of the reasons people use these cauliflower products in place of bread is because they are trying to keep grains out of their diet.  There are many trendy diet fads going on that involve this. Not sure which, if any, Janelle is trying to follow though.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, ChristmasJones said:

Not to defend Janelle, but one of the reasons people use these cauliflower products in place of bread is because they are trying to keep grains out of their diet.  There are many trendy diet fads going on that involve this. Not sure which, if any, Janelle is trying to follow though.

I totally understand, I guess what I was getting at was the cost - this family of grifters who don't pay their taxes and she is shelling out 7.00 for wraps.  Like @Deirda mentioned above - lettuce wraps.  I can get a head of lettuce from 89-1.49 

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, ChristmasJones said:

Janelle has taken a shotgun approach in her health journey and hasn't stayed with any one approach long enough for it to be effective. It's long past time for her to stop the self-cure methods and take herself to a physician, then a dietician and tough fitness trainer. 

• Love 9