Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

On 4/17/2019 at 6:37 AM, ginger90 said:

Janelle is taking some classes, I forget what it’s for even though I posted about it. I was under the impression it was online, perhaps it’s not, and that’s where she’s going?

On 4/17/2019 at 9:06 AM, Sandy W said:

I remember you posted about the classes.  I think it was some type of advanced yoga, that Janelle planned to become certified in as an instructor.  Maybe the base course is online, then the practical aspect has to be completed in person.  Thanks for reminding me.

I remember Mariah posting on her Instagram about going somewhere tropical sounding to take yoga classes.  Without reading back, I'm pretty sure that Janelle posted at some point about taking online classes in Ayurvedic medicine.  It's a whole body healing system from India. I have a feeling the "classes" would be much like her "health coach" classes where you pay a lump sum, read and fill in the blanks and then voila...you are a Health Coach, Ayurvedic style.

• Love 11
24 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Hope the link works.....a video of the inspiring coach:

I am inspired.  NOT.

She's talking about working again.   What does she do other than write those Strive messages?

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Obidiah? What the actual? Do they want this dog to be picked on at the dog park? The other dogs need to think his name is Obi-wan, not Obidiah. 

Um,  if he is named for the minor prophet in the Bible, the name is Obadiah.  

Christine bought a house because she couldn't get a rental that permitted pets (or maybe they just didn't permit cats, but dogs are permissible).  Janelle had a dog in LV, but she got a rental.  Not only did Janelle get a rental, she got a furnished rental which I think would be less likely to allow pets than an unfurnished one.   

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
On 4/17/2019 at 1:22 AM, Joan of Argh said:

Okay that looks absolutely disgusting and Janelle's idea of a "drizzle" of salad dressing is a lot different than mine..... that crap is literally drowning in fatty ranch dressing.

Does she not realize how much fat, sodium etc is in ranch dressing?

Doesn't she know about balsamic vinegar and other low-fat options?

What the hell... She's supposed to be a health coach! 🙄

First thing I thought when I saw the picture - Uh, Janelle, that ain't no "drizzle"! 😛

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 4/17/2019 at 8:57 AM, laurakaye said:

What on earth does this woman have against vegetables?  I mean, I get that if you weren't raised eating fresh vegetables it could be difficult to start, but for crying out loud, she's in her 40's - time to get over it!  And what does it say that she is obese, yet her kids are all healthy-sized?  She must be sneaking to the drive-thru every chance she gets.  I have a feeling that if you opened the trunk of her car, it would be filled to the brim with Bic Mac wrappers and empty french-fry boxes.

I have to admit, I'm not one to eat vegetables undressed. I don't really enjoy the taste of any raw or unsauced vegetable except maybe tomatoes (which are technically a fruit lol). Butter and salt & pepper are the bare minimum I need - oil, garlic, and other seasonings, even better.

• Love 5

So, we can surmise from this that Janelle only suffers from "performance anxiety" when she's tired.  I would like to know what she did when she encountered that stone wall roadblock on the trail, did she scale it or go around.  It also might be a good idea to have a companion while trail hiking, she may stumble over one of those pesky prairie dog burrows and lay for hours awaiting help.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 4/17/2019 at 4:44 PM, Natalie68 said:

I live about 2 blocks from downtown Santa Barbara and I love all the wildlife I see in our yard.  Right now we have bunnies (babies and parents), gophers (baby and mom), skunks, raccoons, quail (saw them for the 1st time a couple of months ago), squirrels, all kinds of birds, and I can see the occasional coyote across the street in the cemetery.  Seeing these critters is the highlight of my day.  I had never seen a baby gopher before and MAN those are cute little buggers.  I know they are not great for gardens etc but I figure it is their yard so they can do with it what they want.  Being a total animal lover I cannot see killing something in their own environment for my convenience.  But I get this is just my opinion.  

It does seem like the Browns will have a losing battle re the prairie dogs.  I am rooting for the critters!

Santa Barbara? Ugh, so jealous! That's just about as perfect a climate as you will find in the USA, at least according to several articles I read while Googling "75 degrees and sunny". I also discovered there's a song called "Sunny and 75", lol.

As for critters, when we initially bought our house in 2012, we had so many of them running around that I never saw in my old neighborhood (same town). We live next to a small patch of woods and across a side road is a lake and more woods. We were getting tons of turkeys, some rabbits, deer, even a pheasant (so cool!). And of course squirrels, and so many birds I'd never seen before. I agree with you, seeing them is so much fun and I have tons of pictures! A couple of years ago our neighbors moved and sold the house to a guy with three dogs, and we think they pretty much drove most of the critters away. We still get the usual squirrels and birds, and an occasional chipmunk, turkey, fox, or even a coyote, but they are few and far between and stay along the edge of the woods for the most part. Although, last summer the neighbor had a family of woodchucks living behind his shed, and I had a ball watching them from the back sunporch - the babies were adorable.

That being said, if an animal becomes a public nuisance I fully support efforts to control the population. I love watching them, but if they destroy property or can become a health hazard, that's a different story.

Edited by Gothish520
Spelling
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Santa Barbara? Ugh, so jealous! That's just about as perfect a climate as you will find in the USA, at least according to several articles I read while Googling "75 degrees and sunny". I also discovered there's a song called "Sunny and 75", lol.

As for critters, when we initially bought our house in 2012, we had so many of them running around that I never saw in my old neighborhood (same town). We live next to a small patch of woods and across a side road is a lake and more woods. We were getting tons of turkeys, some rabbits, deer, even a pheasant (so cool!). And of course squirrels, and so many birds I'd never seen before. I agree with you, seeing them is so much fun and I have tons of pictures! A couple of years ago our neighbors moved and sold the house to a guy with three dogs, and we think they pretty much drove most of the critters away. We still get the usual squirrels and birds, and an occasional chipmonk, turkey, fox, or even a coyote, but they are few and far between and stay along the edge of the woods for the most part. Although, last summer the neighbor had a family of woodchucks living behind his shed, and I had a ball watching them from the back sunporch - the babies were adorable.

That being said, if an animal becomes a public nuisance I fully support efforts to control the population. I love watching them, but if they destroy property or can become a health hazard, that's a different story.

I love it here and am spoiled by the weather BIG TIME.  We have a couple of cats in our neighborhood that occasionally will be in our yard trying to get birds and my husband always runs them off.  There will NOT be a massacre on our watch!  HA!  

Flagstaff looks pretty and I have been through once but seeing how much snow they get no effin way would I move there.  I am a big weenie when it gets below 65 (to be honest, when it gets below 70) so no way no how!  I have a feeling Janelle is a low energy no matter the temp.  I think she struggles without having a full time job and it turns her into a slug.  

• Love 6
8 hours ago, ginger90 said:

This goes with the picture above. I had some technical difficulties!

3F28A0AC-0F03-4B98-A869-B1502A831EEA.jpeg

Okay let me see if I understand.... there's lots of cars in the parking lot and that's too much for Janelle to deal with?

To me it sounds like she's looking for excuses.  🙄

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
18 hours ago, ginger90 said:

This goes with the picture above. I had some technical difficulties!

3F28A0AC-0F03-4B98-A869-B1502A831EEA.jpeg

* So, if she enjoyed this, why doesn't she do her workouts outside MORE OFTEN? Also, outdoor workouts can be tracked, Janelle. Every runner I know does it, including me. 

18 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I have to admit, I'm not one to eat vegetables undressed. I don't really enjoy the taste of any raw or unsauced vegetable except maybe tomatoes (which are technically a fruit lol). Butter and salt & pepper are the bare minimum I need - oil, garlic, and other seasonings, even better.

* To be fair, vegetables don't taste as good as they used to. They might look nice, but they lack flavor. I grew up with a large garden and loved nearly every vegetable. They were good enough to eat right out of the ground. I looked forward to everything except zucchini (and turns out my mom didn't know how to cook it). 

Nowadays, veggies are mass-produced to survive a trip on a semi-trailer and oftentimes don't have a fraction fo the flavor they should. It's no wonder some people don't like them and most people buy their veggies from the store. Even organic can suck!  Unless one has their own garden, they are subjected to the disappointment that is mass-produced produce. Kinda sad, really. 

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Okay let me see if I understand.... there's lots of cars in the parking lot and that's too much for Janelle to deal with?

I doubt she would turn around and go home if the parking lot at Applebees was packed

• LOL 17
  • Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:57 PM, xwordfanatik said:

Me too.  They're actually kind of cute.  I see quail on my walks sometimes, an occasional squirrel, and a lot of robins (the good kind with an "i" not a "y".)  

We humans are encroaching on more & more of our wildlifes' turf.  I find that sad.

Where is our turf?

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

I'm an introvert and a lot of cars would make me think twice as well.

• Love 4
On 4/21/2019 at 8:48 AM, Higgins said:

I'm an introvert and a lot of cars would make me think twice as well.

Me too. It's terrible. Grocery store require a "plan" for me to even go in, beginning with the route and the parking spot (usually the furthest away near the quietest entrance/exit where Sheeple never go). 

I can't even make eye contact with people when I'm having a rough day. 

And I never understood why people will sit there and wait for a parking spot that's close when they could have found one right away and just walked further. This trait befuddles me. I see it all the time and am like, there's a spot just 100 meters away. It won't kill you to walk, dummy, plus it's easier to get in and out of. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Me too. It's terrible. Grocery store require a "plan" for me to even go in, beginning with the route and the parking spot (usually the furthest away near the quietest entrance/exit where Sheeple never go). 

I can't even make eye contact with people when I'm having a rough day. 

And I never understood why people will sit there and wait for a parking spot that's close when they could have found one right away and just walked further. This trait befuddles me. I see it all the time and am like, there's a spot just 100 meters away. It won't kill you to walk, dummy, plus it's easier to get in and out of. 

I am you and you are me lol. 

I have been out of things like Diet Coke or creamer for days before, just because I haven’t felt like facing the zoo of the grocery store. 

I have definitely just driven on by, more than once, when the gym was too busy. No judging Janelle for that by me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Well i get the idea that skipping something due to too many people and wanting to avoid because that's me also, but I don't put myself out there as a health coach-y type person who is "striving" to help other people get healthy. You don't get a pass if that's your job.

Not that she actually does what she advertises.

And kinda like my trainer who refuses to eat vegetables. Evidently, it happens.

• Love 9

I'm an introvert and hate crowds, so I've always chosen to exercise at home with weights and walking or hiking or swimming in lanes. Janelle doesn't have a 9-5 job, so there is no reason that she cannot exercise & do errands during the less busy hours.

• Love 10

Okay I'm just going to say it. When she's all done up I think Janelle is properly pretty. The dark eye makeup against her light skin and hair works for her. I'm sure she's dumb and lazy, but she cleans up nicely.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, deirdra said:

I'm an introvert and hate crowds, so I've always chosen to exercise at home with weights and walking or hiking or swimming in lanes. Janelle doesn't have a 9-5 job, so there is no reason that she cannot exercise & do errands during the less busy hours.

I've always empathized with Janelle as far as that goes. People don't understand now debilitating social anxiety can be. I don't remember if Janelle has addressed it on tv but I completely understand. It's why I'm a runner and not a gym rat. 

• Love 9

Another introvert here.  I walk regularly, and listen to my iPod.  No membership fees.  This is absolutely my favorite time of year.  Everything in bloom, blue sky, 60-70 temperature, just bliss.

One of my pet peeves is people that don't shovel the sidewalk alongside their yard.  Knee high boots are sometimes necessary.

Janelle has no excuse not to walk.  It might lift her out of her Eeyore-ness, too.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Ditto the walking with an iPod.  I also take yoga classes because there's so little interaction between students  - you're kind of in your own zone, just how I like it.

Janelle says she's an outdoor person, would live in a teepee, loves to fish, etc.  Yet she seems oddly reluctant to actually go outside and take a walk.  Obviously I don't know all of her circumstances, but man - a half-hour outside in the Arizona sun seems like it would do wonders for her weight and her mind.  She feels like such a poser - posting on Strive about how she just loves to be outside, typed while sitting in her La-Z-Boy watching television.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

Ditto the walking with an iPod.  I also take yoga classes because there's so little interaction between students  - you're kind of in your own zone, just how I like it.

Janelle says she's an outdoor person, would live in a teepee, loves to fish, etc.  Yet she seems oddly reluctant to actually go outside and take a walk.  Obviously I don't know all of her circumstances, but man - a half-hour outside in the Arizona sun seems like it would do wonders for her weight and her mind.  She feels like such a poser - posting on Strive about how she just loves to be outside, typed while sitting in her La-Z-Boy watching television.

This.  I couldn't help but feel that the one post on her Strive instagram which was about being outside and then was immediately followed by a photo of her dog on her personal instagram sitting in the open door was about as far outside as she got that day.  And probably frequently.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, JenMcSnark said:

This.  I couldn't help but feel that the one post on her Strive instagram which was about being outside and then was immediately followed by a photo of her dog on her personal instagram sitting in the open door was about as far outside as she got that day.  And probably frequently.  

I was sad that the poor dog is overweight. The dog appears to be old (white muzzle) and over-feeding is hard on the joints and organs.  I hope they don't make old doggie and new puppy watch as they dig a hole to bury oldie in.

17 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Well i get the idea that skipping something due to too many people and wanting to avoid because that's me also, but I don't put myself out there as a health coach-y type person who is "striving" to help other people get healthy. You don't get a pass if that's your job.

Not that she actually does what she advertises.

And kinda like my trainer who refuses to eat vegetables. Evidently, it happens.

I agree. I think if she had such anxiety, we would have heard about it over what the last 10 years. I personally think she is just lazy. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, deirdra said:

I hope they don't make old doggie and new puppy watch as they dig a hole to bury oldie in.

That's more of a Meri thing. I honestly don't see Janelle as evil, no matter what her other faults.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I've always empathized with Janelle as far as that goes. People don't understand now debilitating social anxiety can be. I don't remember if Janelle has addressed it on tv but I completely understand. It's why I'm a runner and not a gym rat. 

I empathize with Janelle, and I'm also an introvert. I can't imagine the sheer misery of starring on a reality show. 

• Love 11
5 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

I agree. I think if she had such anxiety, we would have heard about it over what the last 10 years. I personally think she is just lazy. 

Exactly, I've never heard Janelle say she is an introvert or has a problem being around people in fact the only thing I can remember her saying was she likes to attend group functions with Christine because Christine introduces herself and Janelle to everyone but even then it sounded like she just didn't like the initial introduction but once it was done she was fine in a crowd.

Are we just assuming she's introverted?

She has no problem going to attractions, museums, busy TV studios, prearranged events where she has a booth and greets the public, she seems to love going out to eat at crowded restaurants etc. etc.. I've seen many shows with her travelling about doing things in crowded places.

I think she just doesn't like the gym because it means exercising with other people who she thinks might be judging her which I can understand is probably uncomfortable but as others said you can exercise without going to the gym and she does very little of that as well.

I know when I used to go to the gym regularly I wasn't interested in who was there or what they looked like, I was there to exercise not oggle other people or what they were doing....the only time I really noticed anyone larger or anyone period was when I was finished my workout and my only thought was happy for them and I hoped they continue to come and reach whatever fitness goal they had in mind.

She talks a lot about exercise but always has an excuse for why she just couldn't do it that day.

Edited by Joan of Argh
Spelling
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Someone ? I think she probably means Google.  Is she living under a rock ? Since the fad of all these essential oils, who has not heard of this.  And yeah, I kinda live under a rock myself and even my dumbass knows this.  

As I've said before, Janelle is like a 300lb baby bird that just fell out of its nest.

Most of us have known this shit since late teens or early adulthood 

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I've always empathized with Janelle as far as that goes. People don't understand now debilitating social anxiety can be. I don't remember if Janelle has addressed it on tv but I completely understand. It's why I'm a runner and not a gym rat

Agree.  It really bothers me until I get to know people.  I remember the first few seasons Janelle rarely said much and you could tell it was a struggle.  I think she was upset about the original move to Las Vegas or mad that they had to move.  I think she was also upset about the move to Flagstaff, which is why very little packing had been down by moving day.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Someone ? I think she probably means Google.  Is she living under a rock ? Since the fad of all these essential oils, who has not heard of this.  And yeah, I kinda live under a rock myself and even my dumbass knows this.  

Yeah. Every tine she posts something like that, she makes herself sound so unqualified. Not even "behind the times", because people have been using mint for thousands of years (along with many other amazing plant remedies/therapies). . 

Part of me wants to like Janelle and root for her but her whole thing with Strive combined with her lack of knowledge and lethargic vibe, I just can't. Maybe if she gave up the health coach title and was just another woman with her struggles, I might like her. 

"Strive with Janelle" is the the most pathetic charade I've ever seen. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 17
30 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Maybe if she gave up the health coach title and was just another woman with her struggles, I might like her. 

I think that's true.  If she was bumbling through Life with the Losers just snacking and snoozing, I don't think we'd be as tough on her.  It's the stupid Strive thing that makes her look so stupid.

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
On 4/17/2019 at 3:13 PM, Galloway Cave said:

HA! As a retired game warden, who used to remove wildlife from urban areas, I can guarantee that removing prairie dogs is a waste of time. Kinda like removing gophers. Here in AZ we have a shit ton of  burrowing critters that will take over your property, no matter how many times you "remove" them. And yes, snakes too. I live on an acre and love seeing all my wildlife- javelina, raccoons, skunks, bunnies, quail, ground squirrels, coyotes, every kind of bird you can think of. 

How to you prevent snakes and scorpions from invading your home? Do you shake your sheets before retiring fir the evening?

Peppermint tea!  Good for digestion!  You don't say, Janelle!!

(finishes off my Celestial Seasonings peppermint tea that I have been drinking most mornings for the past 20+ years........)

And before Janelle can get off the couch to fetch her laptop to regale us with her next latest "fad," chamomile tea is good for rest, water is great for hydration, and air is good for breathing.  Your move, Janelle!

Edited by laurakaye
  • LOL 20

While I think Strive would still overall be a shitshow, it would take minor tweaking to make her posts neutral. Her post about leaving the gym and its, and I quote!, “drudgery” could have been spun as being flexible, changing up your routine, it’s fine as long as you’re moving your body, etc. The peppermint tea post would be basically fine if she dropped the “someone” and opened with that she has been drinking it in the afternoon and here’s why.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

How to you prevent snakes and scorpions from invading your home? Do you shake your sheets before retiring fir the evening?

I've lived in AZ for over 30 years.  I've seen exactly ONE scorpion in the sliding door track at our last place (a new development that they found out had disturbed a large scorpion colony while being built).  I have never seen a snake in or around our home.

I do watch my step if we're out in the desert areas hiking, but looking for critters in the house isn't even on my radar.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Well, my cat usually alerts me to the very few scorps that have roamed into my house. I have never had a snake get inside. As any good AZ person does, when outside during the cool parts of the day, I always look around the base of plants/trees or along the edge of the house and planters when outside. At night, I make sure to wear shoes so I don't step on any scorps.

When I was a river guide in the Grand Canyon, we would tell the peeps to wear their shoes if they had to walk down to the edge of the river to pee at night, since scorps were out. One night, I was sound asleep on the boat deck, when I was awaken by a passenger. As I opened my eyes, all I saw was a very large foot in my face. Passenger was hollering about his foot stinging. I asked if he went barefoot to pee and he wailed yes. Asked him to get his foot out of my face. I then spent the next hour icing down his foot.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I've lived in AZ for over 30 years.  I've seen exactly ONE scorpion in the sliding door track at our last place (a new development that they found out had disturbed a large scorpion colony while being built).  I have never seen a snake in or around our home.

I do watch my step if we're out in the desert areas hiking, but looking for critters in the house isn't even on my radar.

OT:  What is the cockroach scene in AZ?  They are one of my biggest fears (irrational I know).  Mr. Natalie and I are about 10 years from retirement and we are tossing all kinds of locations out there for discussions about where to move.  My sister wants us to move to WA with them but I just don't think I can do the cold.

I wish Janelle would do more than just phone in these STRIVE posts.  Maybe try and use some humor.  She isn't setting the world on fire with her half assed eyore posts.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

OT:  What is the cockroach scene in AZ? 

We got 'em. Just don't bring any cardboard boxes into the house for long term (contain eggs), don't allow water to stand around your house and use an exterminator every so often.

As we like to say in the wildlife world, when the bomb goes off, we will still have cockroaches, coyote and carp. They can live through anything and live anywhere.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Useful 3
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

Well, my cat usually alerts me to the very few scorps that have roamed into my house. I have never had a snake get inside. As any good AZ person does, when outside during the cool parts of the day, I always look around the base of plants/trees or along the edge of the house and planters when outside. At night, I make sure to wear shoes so I don't step on any scorps.

You're a much stronger person than me.

Nope.gif

• LOL 10
  • Love 3