Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

44 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

I remember Sees!!  They used to have stores in the indoor shopping malls!   

I remember indoor shopping malls......

Anyway, they were so good!

Nuts and Chews are my favorites! I live near the Guittard chocolate factory which is the chocolate used by Sees and the air for a quarter mile or more around carries the aroma - it smells like warm brownies. Mmmmm 

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Meowwww said:

You know, when I was young and skinny and thought I was fat, I used to run. What kept me going was the thought of the giant bag of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups I had at home.  “One more mile and I’m home!  Peanut Butter Cups are waiting for me!”I’d run, recover, and eat those things. 

I bet Janelle is the same. 

She certainly appears to be. Most people who have lost weight show it in their faces and Janelle still looks the same. She really needs to stop the Strive nonsense. She’s not fooling anyone. 

• Love 6

If we're gonna talk candy, my dad used to take a summer job at Sears and back in the day they had a candy counter - my all-time favorite was a big marshmallow covered in caramel.  I think we called them Carmellows?  I don't know but they were delish.  And now I want one.  Or five.

Back on topic, I find it kind cool that the two middle side-pieces are bonding, while the current and former HBIC are nowhere to be seen.  I would think Christine and Janelle would have lots and lots to talk about....like maybe a TLC spin-off show - "Christine and Janelle: On Their Own."  I would SO watch that.

• Love 13

Here you go.  Something to do on a rainy day.  A recipe for Carmellows.  Now you can have one or five or as many as you like!

37 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Christine and Janelle: On Their Own

But what would there be so see? Janelle cleaning our her fridge and dumping wilted veggies?  Christine reorganizing the rag cupboard?  Both lamenting the loss of Lover Boy?

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Here you go.  Something to do on a rainy day.  A recipe for Carmellows.  Now you can have one or five or as many as you like!

But what would there be so see? Janelle cleaning our her fridge and dumping wilted veggies?  Christine reorganizing the rag cupboard?  Both lamenting the loss of Lover Boy?

Oh my gosh.....I did NOT need this recipe as much as I DO need this recipe!

As for the spin-off...I don't know, I think if we could get one season out of showing them moving in together and thriving while Kody and Robyn make guest appearances from time to time, asking if they could maybe live in crawlspace over the garage while Robyn searches for a one-bedroom rental because that's all they can afford....or maybe Meri comes over for a visit and Christine grills her to come clean about the banana guy....OR, better yet, we get a very special two-parter where Janelle breaks down the true reasons about why she dumped Meri's brother for Kody.

Of course, none of this would happen, and we would most likely get the scenario described by @Kohola3

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, skipnjump said:

Why not have some idea of how you're going to use the veggies before you get them?

In her defense, she belongs to some sort of community garden so never knows what she is getting. On the other hand, since she keeps talking about having to  use up limp veggies, why join at all? 

I admit that I am not that adventurous and would puzzle over what to do with odd things (and I HATE kale) so I know better than to join something like that.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Seriously, does one need to wear a mask in one's own car if one is alone?

Really— you shouldn’t if driving alone or with others from your household. Wearing a mask too long (especially a thicker one) could result in inhaling too much co2.

The other day I saw a man riding a motorcycle alone with no helmet on, but he was wearing a mask— why? No head or eye protection, but thought wearing a mask while going 40 mph on a country road was necessary? Smh

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Adiba said:

Wearing a mask too long (especially a thicker one) could result in inhaling too much co2.

This is quite a common fallacy and often used by those as an excuse not to wear a mask.

There is no increase in CO2 while wearing masks nor is there a decrease in oxygenation.  If either were the case, people work in the OR would be dropping right and left!  There are multiple articles by reputable medical sources refuting this.

So no worries, wearing a mask won't hurt you!

• Useful 3
  • Love 21
35 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

This is quite a common fallacy and often used by those as an excuse not to wear a mask.

There is no increase in CO2 while wearing masks nor is there a decrease in oxygenation.  If either were the case, people work in the OR would be dropping right and left!  There are multiple articles by reputable medical sources refuting this.

I stated it because it NJ where my family lives ( I live in eastern PA) the local news had a story about a car crash in Lincoln Park, NJ. It happened where the driver was continually wearing an n 95 mask and passed out. So it may be unlikely, but it does depend on how long and what kind of mask is used. 
A good friend works for a power company In NJ and wears an n95 mask while reading meters, but she takes the mask off in the car while driving for any length of time.

not trying to discourage mask wearing in public, just stating that there is absolutely no reason to wear one while driving alone

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Adiba said:

not trying to discourage mask wearing in public, just stating that there is absolutely no reason to wear one while driving alone

That was my point.  I wear a mask if I have to go out, but, not in my car.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Seriously, does one need to wear a mask in one's own car if one is alone?

NO!!!!   in her defense, however, it may be that she is going from one business to another.  I wore a mask yesterday to pick up an RX at Walgreens, then drove across the street to pick up food for lunch.  I had to go inside to get the food so I didn't bother to take off the mask  from the time I went into Walgreens until I came out of the restaurant and got into the car.   Anyone, seeing me driving between the two places would have thought I was crazy.   I just couldn't see taking it on and off and, therefore, repeatedly touching it. 

4 hours ago, Mahamid Frauded Me said:

Sorry but that mask looks filthy to me. So in one shot we have her saying she had a "heavy" lunch with garlic and then the next post is her posting about a "light" lunch of expired veggies.

Well, as to the veggies, no one claims she is consistent about her "healthy eating advice."

As to the mask, it may be filthy--hard to tell because it is black.  Nothing like wearing a black mask in a car in summer.   What puzzled me was that it looks like she is sucking in air as there seems to be an indentation about where her mouth should be.  Then I noticed it was because there is a seam down the center of the mask.  Never seen one constructed like that.   The seam at the top and bottom doesn't appear to be tightly sewn. 

2 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I have lung disease, and the first time I wore one at the grocery I was very relieved to check out and get to the car.  If I have on a mask and am walking  , I revert to mouth-breathing  which fortunately no one can see.  I keep thinking I will take my pulse-ox with me and check my oxygen sat level as soon as I load the groceries.   My theory is that masks are effective because they serve as a reminder to the wearer and the observer that there is a virus, and that we shouldn't get so close that the other person has the opportunity to sing or talk at you for an extended period (over 5 -10 minutes) or sneeze and/or cough in your direction.  This is a good reminder for me as I frequently end up talking to strangers.  I usually see at least one person I know at the store (not sure that I recognize some due to the masking) and end up chatting with them.  Now I just race in and race out.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Adiba said:

It happened where the driver was continually wearing an n 95 mask and passed out. So it may be unlikely, but it does depend on how long and what kind of mask is used. 
A good friend works for a power company In NJ and wears an n95 mask while reading meters, but she takes the mask off in the car while driving for any length of time.

There are a lot of different types of N95 masks (N95 just means it filters out at least 95% of the particles).  I had 3 left over from sanding woodwork and they really make it hard to breathe after a couple of minutes, whereas a medical N95 is woven differently and may be made out of different material (polyester is more suffocating than cotton). Some have one-way valves so that condensation does not build up, but are designed to protect medical personnel from patients.

• Useful 3

I have both a n95 mask and a homemade cloth mask as well as asthma and COPD. What I've found is it's harder to take deep breaths, especially with the n95 mask. The air in the mask is moister and warmer than the outside air. I wore it during a shopping excursion at Walmart and ended up in the ER for the rest of the day. I still where a mask; my compromise is to order online/store pickup unless it's something I can run in and out in 5 minutes or less.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I have both P and N95 masks with valves and have found them to feel mildly suffocating after a while if I'm in a hot place or walking a lot.  I usually only wear them in situations I feel are the most worrisome, like when I'm in a store with more people than I feel comfortable with, or if there isn't enough space to stay far enough apart.  I also hate the two bands around the back of the head - They're uncomfortable and mess up my hair no matter how many videos I watch on how to put them on correctly.  I put up with them only because I know they're the best protection.  For most other situations I wear a disposable KN95 mask with a valve.  It fits really well, isn't as suffocating and is easier to take on and off because it has the ear loops.

One thing, though - I sometimes feel a little scratchy in the throat for a while after wearing a mask for any length of time and wonder if that's just me.

Another thing is I worry about wearing masks made from dyed fabric as you're breathing in the chemicals that were used to make the fabric - Most of those homemade masks, although pretty, are made from fabric that wasn't intended to be breathed through and I wonder just how safe some of that dye is.  At least the medical masks and those used by tradespeople are made from materials intended to be safe for breathing through.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
On 6/25/2020 at 2:35 PM, ginger90 said:

People wearing masks have known this for months (again, she's behind what everyone else knows). This is why I keep strong, minty gum with me when I have to wear the mask in the grocery store. Gum works way better than mints. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

People wearing masks have known this for months (again, she's behind what everyone else knows). This is why I keep strong, minty gum with me when I have to wear the mask in the grocery store. Gum works way better than mints. 

I'm a TicTac person myself. I can't chew gum anymore - it makes me bloated and gassy. 

(Yeah I know, TMI!!)

• LOL 7

I wear my mask, cloth, at work.  It’s cotton tee shirt material.  It’s hot at my work and I’m a sweater (thanks menopause) so my mask is grossly damp.  I took it off after work, drove to the grocery store and put it on again.  Phew!!!!   If my breath really smells as bad as my mask did, I need the doctor.  I literally gagged. 
Hows that for TMI?  

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I wear my mask, cloth, at work.  It’s cotton tee shirt material.  It’s hot at my work and I’m a sweater (thanks menopause) so my mask is grossly damp.  I took it off after work, drove to the grocery store and put it on again.  Phew!!!!   If my breath really smells as bad as my mask did, I need the doctor.  I literally gagged. 
Hows that for TMI?  

For real. I have a mint sanitizer spray I use on mine to make it small pleasant and it helps calm me (plus all the gum I chew). it seems to work well. 

I have an entire routine now that’s mask-related. Brush teeth, mouthwash, don’t eat ANYTHING, lots of gum. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

I think I read somewhere to change damp masks because they lose effectiveness.  The paper ones have come way down in price on Amazon.

my landlord generously gave me a pile of the paper masks. I prefer them. 

Also, my gym just reopened last week - they do a contactless temp check and then offer a complimentary paper mask. Everything is continuously sanitized - not only was the maintenance crew working full time but the trainers on the floor all were cleaning as well. 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

my landlord generously gave me a pile of the paper masks. I prefer them. 

Also, my gym just reopened last week - they do a contactless temp check and then offer a complimentary paper mask. Everything is continuously sanitized - not only was the maintenance crew working full time but the trainers on the floor all were cleaning as well. 

Glad you have access to masks. The gym concerns me not about the surfaces but I don’t want to breathe in what an asymptomatic person breathes out. Seems like in a gym a high concentration of people huffing and puffing even behind a mask even if they are worn correctly.  Stay safe!

• Love 10

Gyms in our state were set to reopen last Thursday - then late Wednesday night, the decision was made to keep them closed.  While I understand the caution, it has to be awful for gym owners who've just spent tons of time prepping and sanitizing and getting ready to open, only to find out they can't the evening before. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Gyms in our state were set to reopen last Thursday - then late Wednesday night, the decision was made to keep them closed.  While I understand the caution, it has to be awful for gym owners who've just spent tons of time prepping and sanitizing and getting ready to open, only to find out they can't the evening before. 

Yes, that is awful.  It is so hard on so many people for varying degrees of reasons, let alone worrying about getting sick.

• Love 2

A few of my kids and I joined Chuze fitness a couple of years ago.  I liked the gym ok, but I am not exaggerating when I say that every single time I went there must have been around 250+ people packed in the place.  ALL of the machines would have people on them, the classroom doing Zumba (or whatever) had about 50- 75 people packed elbow to elbow and a hoard of people were all around the free weights and other equipment.  It was crazy and congested.  If you used the bathroom (and they had about 20 stalls) they were always full and there would be a line waiting... and people blow drying their hair and redoing their make-up, etc. etc.  They had about 8 people just standing at the front desk and then who knows how many workers milling around the place.  PACKED.  You couldn't even find a place to park in their HUGE parking lot - you had to park elsewhere and walk over.  (Which is ok.. you are working out at a GYM, after all.  lol  )

When the governor told us we were going into lock-down, I went to cancel my membership.  By this time they were already telling people to avoid crowds and stay home if possible - and yet that gym STILL had hundreds of people working out the day I went to cancel. The staff asked why I was canceling my membership and were condescending - rolled their eyes, etc.  They bordered on being rude.   I guess what's it to them if one old person croaks from the spread of a killer virus?  NOT TO MENTION - I never saw an employee clean a single machine.  When you work out on something, it is your job to take the spray bottle and paper towels and wipe off the machine.  No problem - I was raised to clean up after myself.  But I saw about 65% or more of OTHER people sweat all over a machine and then leave the gym, never returning to clean their bodily fluids off the stuff before the next user started their workout.  When that gym opens up again, I would be surprised if it would even be possible for their workers to clean up their equipment fast enough before other people started using it.  

Well now here it is MONTHS later... and my kids have money sucked out of their bank account every single month for a gym that is closed.  They can't get a live person when they try to call so that they can cancel their memberships.  When and if things go back to normal - I am choosing a different gym.  There are plenty to choose from.  And if things don't get back to the "old normal" - I will find other ways to work out.

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Well now here it is MONTHS later... and my kids have money sucked out of their bank account every single month for a gym that is closed.

Good grief there must be something they can do with their bank to make this stop!  If it were a credit card I'm sure you could challenge the payment for services not received.  That's just horrible!

• Love 10
(edited)
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Good grief there must be something they can do with their bank to make this stop!  If it were a credit card I'm sure you could challenge the payment for services not received.  That's just horrible!

There is a dispute right for credit/debit cards called Cancelled Recurring Transaction.

https://usa.visa.com/supporting-info/cancelled-recurring-transaction-condition-13-2.html#Why_did_I_get_this_notification__332a

If they're withdrawing directly from your checking account I think you can tell your bank to stop payment.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2
(edited)

I have two gym memberships - one with 24 Hour (bought a two year membership through Costco) and a month-to-month with Equinox.

Both reopened last week - a couple days apart.  

BTW from what I've heard, 24 Hour kept billing THEIR members too.  Like I said I have a 2 year prepaid membership, I hardly ever go except as a backup.

So I decided to give 24 Hour a try this past Wednesday.  I signed up for 5 PM.  Got to the gym at 4:45 pm, there was already a long line probably with 50 or so peeps.  Got in line and the line grew and grew and grew where it snaked around the back of the building.  I'm guessing at least 100 of us all told. 

No temp checks, no medical forms to complete.  You were required to HAVE a mask, but you didn't have to wear it. Ugh.  There was no real social distancing.  Some of us were trying to do it, but most of the peeps just appeared to blow it off.  There were a few bottles of spray disinfectant and some paper towel dispensers but they weren't very convenient.  It was clean...for a 24.  That's not saying much because usually it's filthy with chalk everywhere, weights not put away and so on. 

So the way 24 Hour is doing it is that they let people in to work out for 55 minutes.  Then kick everyone out.  30 minutes to (presumably) disinfect (this is a BIG gym and unless they have a crew of 20 I don't see them being able to clean everything within a half-hour).  Then the next batch of people are herded in.

The difference between 24 and Equinox is night and day.  First off, Equinox immediately froze everyone's memberships.  No one got billed.  And when my club reopened on Thursday they gave everyone the option to opt to freeze their membership at no cost for an extra month.  You have to book your visit in advance just like 24 but unlike 24 you can see how many spots are left.  They're not letting more than 15-17 people in at a time to do solo workouts (weight training and cardio machines, I mean).  When you first arrive they do a contactless temp check and offer you a mask and a plastic bag to put your mask in if you're going to use the cardio machines.  The cardio machines are spaced farther apart and every other one is unplugged with a sign on it not to use it. There are a limited suite of group classes but everyone is distanced, the equipment is sanitized and set out in advance before the class and re-sanitized and put away after the class.  On the main workout floor, both the maintenance crew and the floor trainers are constantly cleaning and sanitizing. There are high-end hand sanitizers everywhere (not just the Purell dispensers) and disinfectant wipe dispensers.  Everyone cleans their equipment before and after use.  Everyone has a mask.  Everyone is socially distant.  There are actually spots on the floor and they've taken out some of the equipment that was there so we could all stay socially distant.  Most of all, the Equinox members (myself included) actually give a shit about maintaining social distance and hygiene.  At 24 Hour, a significant percentage of members could care less. 

I guess you can tell I won't be renewing my 24 Hour membership 🙂

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Useful 8
  • Love 8
29 minutes ago, CocoPuffs said:

Janelle just seems gross to me. Like as in an unclean person. Stinky, dirty feet. Bad breath. We really don’t need to know all of this. I wonder if this is part of what annoyed Meri early on (well that and “stealing” her husband).

Isn't Janelle the one that Kody wouldn't kiss?  How did they end up with so many kids?

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
54 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

Isn't Janelle the one that Kody wouldn't kiss?  How did they end up with so many kids?

Goodness, do I have to explain the facts of life to you?   You can't get pregnant from kissing!

• LOL 22
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Goodness, do I have to explain the facts of life to you?   You can't get pregnant from kissing!

But you do get those pesky "harmoans" in your mouth from kissing.🤣

• LOL 15
52 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

LOL you snot!  What I meant was... if he can't even bring himself to KISS her... how did the rest happen?  I don't care HOW dark it is in my bedroom, if I'm not attracted to someone - it aint happening!

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

What I meant was... if he can't even bring himself to KISS her... how did the rest happen?

Well, I guess it's not like any physical attraction is needed.  Nor does it have to be face-to-face.

(I will show myself out now.)

• LOL 19
  • Love 1
(edited)

Maybe Kootie just held his breath and closed his eyes with Janelle and the disgusting nacho-eater, got them pregnant and then headed off on road trips with Meri until he had a baker's dozen of kids to prove his manliness.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

Maybe Kootie just held his breath and closed his eyes with Janelle and the disgusting nacho-eater, got them pregnant and then headed off on road trips with Meri until he had a baker's dozen of kids to prove his manliness.

I suppose so.  I think the only wife he ever loved was Robyn.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, I guess it's not like any physical attraction is needed.  Nor does it have to be face-to-face.

(I will show myself out now.)

What is the (gross) phrase?  Lie back and think of England”?

• LOL 8
(edited)
12 hours ago, ginger90 said:

CBE5082A-FC34-4340-B6BD-326C78546D48.jpeg

AC540B06-914A-4F15-9829-620E6B14F6A6.jpeg

D0A84C54-5C29-4D05-908D-46E42A980FF4.jpeg

88245BDB-D9D9-4993-8F29-CFDDF146EEF1.jpeg

Janelle: "It grows everywhere in North America and maybe other parts of the world too, I don't know."

Me: (after 4.3 seconds on Google) It also grows in Europe and Asia.

She gives the word "lazy" a bad name.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 17