Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

On 5/26/2020 at 4:21 AM, ginger90 said:

2D0176F7-3C1A-41AA-B8DD-780F11929088.jpeg

949D1938-6652-46D7-8BDC-32E75905F59F.jpeg

So is she saying it took her ALL DAY to plant that ? She said the Iris's were already in there, sorry but that looks like it would be an hour to hour and a half project, but life got in the way ? WTF is she talking about ? Aside from a potty break or her 14 meals a day, did it take her that long to get up from the ground ?

• LOL 7
  • Love 3

Guess because i grew up with a garden in the yard.  My parents depended on the garden to help stretch the grocery budget  I grew up eating most vegetables.  Not high end more expensive ones, or ones that don't grow well in Texas heat.  But we almost always had two veggies with our supper.  I really find it hard to believe that Janelle didn't eat them growing up or that her children have not had that many.  But yes I do know some people whose idea of veggies is potatoes and corn.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
19 hours ago, ginger90 said:

D5066F98-E01A-4E1D-96F1-8167603B1C8C.jpeg

0B037896-CEA7-41C0-9B26-CA780990DA78.jpeg

C4EFEE62-232B-459C-9DF7-8BB38E14F2BB.jpeg

She wanted to “just get serious” about fruit and veg intake? She’s had YEARS, all while flashing her health coach “strive” crap. She’s now just wanting to get serious about it?  She has had years and has learned little to nothing  

Fraud. Fake. Phony. Poser. 

• Love 17

Has Janelle ever met a vegetable that didn't intimidate her?  I picture her bringing home a random bag of cilantro/celery/zucchini from the farmer's market and plunking it down on her kitchen table, then circling it warily as she waits for it to transform itself into something breaded and deep-fried until eventually, the contents of the bag turn to liquid and she throws it away in relief because she didn't know what to do with it in the first place. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

until eventually, the contents of the bag turn to liquid and she throws it away in relief because she didn't know what to do with it in the first place. 

Does she still maintain a compost pile in Flag?  If so, I bet it's the biggest compost pile in AZ.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
(edited)

She does seem to bread, deep fry and then throw some seeds on whatever vegetable she wants to mask the taste of.  No wonder she has digestive issues.

A couple of years ago I got on a kick where I'd buy a different vegetable that I'd never prepared before each week and try it a variety of ways, starting with a fresh slice with nothing on it, steamed, buttered, sautéed with different condiments, etc.. Never once thought of breading or deep frying them, since my goal was to get some vitamins and trace minerals and learn some new tastes. When I was in the grocery store I'd look for other uncommon vegetables so I could research what goes with them and choose what to put on the next week's grocery list.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 6
  • Love 7

Well traditional potato leek soup has butter and heavy cream so maybe that's what she meant. OMG I just defended Janelle.

Skinnytaste recipes are pretty tasty anyway.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Meowwww said:

You know she scarfed down the cabbage with sour cream and bacon on it.

You know she scarfed down the sour cream and bacon with cabbage under it. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, suomi said:

You know she scarfed down the sour cream and bacon with cabbage under it. 

Haha!   I stand 100% corrected.  Maybe she gave the cabbage to Axel again. 

• LOL 10
16 hours ago, ginger90 said:

F9286ABC-7939-4AA4-8AE8-51BB38015838.jpeg

C58F0C54-86A4-4BCE-B5DF-26C2B60AD815.jpeg

Janelle just can’t eat a vegetable without disguising it, can she? I roast veggies all the time. All I use it a very light brush of oil (crisps the outside of the veg) and a light sprinkle of salt. That’s it. Some nights, my entire meal is whatever vegetable I’ve roasted or grilled (omg I love summer food). 

I feel bad for people like Janelle who seem to hate veggies so much, they have to disguise them with what ultimately makes them less healthy. But I don’t feel bad for Janelle because she continues the charade of healthiness as if she has a cloak of invisibility on and we can’t see her.

Janelle, honey, we know people have different metabolisms but you’re not fooling us. Your cabbage was not only topped with sour cream but probably Fritos as well. 

• Love 8

Instead of rushing home from the farmer's market to excitedly create something with yummy fresh vegetables, she waits until they are wilted and degrading and she feels obligated to make something before she throws them out tomorrow when the new batch arrives.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, deirdra said:

Instead of rushing home from the farmer's market to excitedly create something with yummy fresh vegetables, she waits until they are wilted and degrading and she feels obligated to make something before she throws them out tomorrow when the new batch arrives.

....while using the excuses of "her crazy week" or her "stressful day" or "the weather" or "it's Wednesday"  to avoid using those veggies at all costs.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

So Janelle has onions, cabbage, potatoes and sausage and decided to make that weird skillet thing? I am surprised she didn’t pour canned nacho cheese on it. Wilting veggies are perfect for soup. That’s what I do when they are about to go bad. Then again, I love fresh veggies and they are the only reason I go to the grocery store every week. I also don’t understand why she needed to go buy the sausage. The veggies are just fine by themselves. Why is she forcing herself to make things she doesn’t like? I hate eggplant and kale, therefore, I don’t buy it. I don’t buy it and hate cook it. 

• Love 6

I’ll admit I’m impressed by her garden right now. Flagstaff has been really dry and below freezing the last 2 nights so she must be watering a lot and paying attention to the weather. 

I’m also curious as what kind of cover she used for those tomatoes. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, New2this said:

I’ll admit I’m impressed by her garden right now. Flagstaff has been really dry and below freezing the last 2 nights so she must be watering a lot and paying attention to the weather. 

I’m also curious as what kind of cover she used for those tomatoes. 

She must be in a micro climate because below freezing would kill tomatoes and squash, and basil is dead around 40F. Tho that Basil looks like it needs more nitrogen and more sun (in my opinion...)

• Useful 4
10 hours ago, Chicklet said:

I just cannot see Janelle doing that strenuous a workout (400 some calories in 45 minutes). Video or it just didn't happen. 

And is that even accurate? Apps and machines tend to inflate calories burned. I don’t trust them one bit. Our “professional” Janelle shouldn’t, either. 

I just can’t take her seriously. She’s still using training wheels when she should be  riding a regular bicycle by now.  

• Love 10
14 hours ago, Chicklet said:

I just cannot see Janelle doing that strenuous a workout (400 some calories in 45 minutes). Video or it just didn't happen. 

Don't those apps guesstimate calories burned on what the wearer programmed in as their body weight, height, etc?  If she put in that she weighs 600 pounds and is 5'2" tall, she might have gotten credit for 400 calories in 45 minutes.

(Confession:  I "fudged" the height on my Fitbit so I'd get the same mileage credit as my husband.)

• LOL 11
  • Love 3

I love beets but that picture looks disgusting. I think anything at all is just too much effort for this woman so she half-asses it. And makes up little white lies like the amount of calories she expends for workouts, how many veggies she gets and eats, how busy she is doing whatever the hell it is that keeps her so busy (in her mind). She's really very sad.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Chicklet said:

I love beets but that picture looks disgusting. I think anything at all is just too much effort for this woman so she half-asses it. And makes up little white lies like the amount of calories she expends for workouts, how many veggies she gets and eats, how busy she is doing whatever the hell it is that keeps her so busy (in her mind). She's really very sad.

Spot On. Janelle half asses everything. Any time she posts a picture of her food, it looks half eaten with sauce all over the side of the bowl. Nothing she’s posted—ever—has looked appealing. 

And I don’t believe her with her workouts, either. If she posts a picture of herself 30 lb lighter (and no Meri-like skinny filter), I’ll believe her. Until then, I’ll keep referring to her as a delusional poser. 

• Love 10

It's difficult to lie on your Apple Watch so I don't doubt she DID do that workout. But given her weight, that's not a big calorie burn and think of it this way - 341 calories is like a bagel with cream cheese or less than a slice of pizza. Your average candy bar is 250 calories. 

If she posts these workouts to me that means she's not consistent. Doing strength training once a week is better than nothing but without consistency and watching the calorie intake, results will be few. 

As my coach says: You can't build a reputation on what you're GOING to do.

• Love 10

I've kept my weight steady within a pound of where I want to be even with the pandemic by counting every calorie every day and walking every day.  It gets to be a habit after awhile.  Janelle probably has no idea how many calories a day she's consuming and burning.  Losing just a pound a week, she could have been 13 pounds lighter already.  She should use a food tracker.  Just seeing all the empty calories listed could help her decide that just for today I'm not going to have that junk food or only have one portion and then fill up on fruit and vegetables.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

I can’t imagine, with her admitted history about losing control over her food, that the beets etc is all she’s eating.  Food addiction is real, and I am sure she’s following the beets with a quarter pounder or two.  

• Love 10
(edited)
9 hours ago, Meowwww said:

I can’t imagine, with her admitted history about losing control over her food, that the beets etc is all she’s eating.  Food addiction is real, and I am sure she’s following the beets with a quarter pounder or two.  

I was thinking a loaf of French bread with a lavish layer of organic butter. 

Thought this morning about how she hates to exercise. It blows me away how she is so negative about the whole thing. She needs to find something she'll enjoy doing - obviously walking isn't really one of her faves either. Maybe if she got a real bike and started pedaling around town? Way more enjoyable than just sitting on her cheap stationary bike. That said her real problem is calorie intake and she's not going to out exercise her consumption. 

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Love 8

It doesn’t seem like many of Janelle’s posts are positive. Even when she tries something different, exercising, cooking, there’s always a fear of some sort. It must be nerve wracking to be Janelle.

“I was doubtful of this recipe”, was her most recent example.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, ginger90 said:

It doesn’t seem like many of Janelle’s posts are positive. Even when she tries something different, exercising, cooking, there’s always a fear of some sort. It must be nerve wracking to be Janelle.

She seems so timid about trying even new vegetables, it's hard to believe that this is the same woman that swooped up her (I think 5 at the time) kids and walked out of an intolerable marriage for 2 years.  During that time, she returned to school, got a job and bought a house and car.

Whatever gave her the impetus and stimulation to achieve these results, she needs more of that to get with a healthy living regimen and stick with it.

• Love 18
44 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

“I was doubtful of this recipe”, was her most recent example.

Yup! She exudes zero confidence. Zero. She has no business being a coach when she could clearly use one herself. 

• Love 10
(edited)
1 hour ago, Sandy W said:

She seems so timid about trying even new vegetables, it's hard to believe that this is the same woman that swooped up her (I think 5 at the time) kids and walked out of an intolerable marriage for 2 years.  During that time, she returned to school, got a job and bought a house and car.

Whatever gave her the impetus and stimulation to achieve these results, she needs more of that to get with a healthy living regimen and stick with it.

She was doing well for awhile with Trainer Sean, exercise-wise. He did try to get her to change her nutrition, which of course is the most difficult part when you're a food addict.

Once she hit a plateau, she lost her motivation. It also didn't help that Sean ended up cheating on his wife with a much younger woman, that seemed to be the excuse she needed as an out - but she could have found another trainer. She chose not to.

Edited by DakotaJustice
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5