Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Chapter Twenty-Seven

In case you missed it, here's the Previously.TV post on the episode!

Let's Count Down The Best Visual Jokes Of Britney Spears's Visit To Jane The Virgin

Jane's fantasy of getting tapped to be Britney's new backup dancer is but one of many!

I'm confused by "it was the confirmation that Rafael definitely did hear both Michael's confession to Jane about helping Nadine escape and Jane's announcement that she'd decided to smash up her love triangle by choosing Michael."  I thought Rafael actually didn't hear Michael's confession (though he did hear Jane about the triangle).  He seemed plenty shocked about Michael letting Nadine go during the argument with them pre-fist fight. 

Edited by RachelKM

I don't care if Michael got it wrong. I was just happy to see him punch that creep Raphael. 

I totally disagree. Michael's entitled to his opinion about Raphael, but not when it leads him to commit an act of senseless violence in a public place & hurting an innocent child-a baby, at that-breaking Jane's heart and several of the very laws that he swore to uphold in the process. Raphael is Mateo's father whether Michael likes it or not, which should have been reason enough for him to control himself, but instead, he chose to go into beast mode, which backfired big-time. Michael's cheap shot at Raphael cost him everything that matters to him, as it should have. Michael owes Raphael, Jane & especially Mateo an apology, as far as I'm concerned. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3

Still curious as to whether Michael's new partner is up to more than just working with the Captain to determine if Michael let Nadine go?

Loved high Alba and Xo. The Britney and her minions was funny - the rest of the Britney stuff was not.

Sick of the triangle. Loved the Petra/Jane 2% discussion. Would really like to see them get closer.

• Love 1

Putting on my (actual) lawyer hat for a minute:

Here is a link to Florida's law on spousal privilege:  http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0000-0099/0090/Sections/0090.504.html

Basically, it says that privilege applies to "communications" between spouses (this includes non-verbal communications).  Either spouse can assert the privilege, but there is no privilege if the case is between the spouses or one of the spouses is a defendant in a case involving a crime against the person or property of a child of one of the spouses.  There is also no privilege if one of the spouses is a defendant adn wishes to proffer testimony of a communication to support the defense.

So the show got it right.  The actual (verbal) communication between Milos and Petra about the grenades is a (verbal) communication, and his opening the cases to reveal them is a non-verbal communication (if she had opened the cases herself on her own initiative, there would have been no communication).  In any action against Milos, he could assert privilege to prevent Petra from sharing the communication (either spouse can assert the privilege).  Obviously, he would not want to proffer testimony of the communications, as they implicate him,  HOWEVER, if Petra was the one being prosecuted, there would be no privilege and she could proffer testimony as to the substance of the conversation (no privilege because she is a defendant and wishes to offer the communication in evidence to support her defense).

Edited by mahree

Eh, I don't get this "play the family card" thing.  They are family.  

Family or not, a person can overplay that card, which Rafael has done to the death. Despite the fact that they have a child together, as we know, the premise of the show, the only reason they have a child together is because of medical malpractice (if I am using that correctly). Jane didn't ask to have Rafael's baby nor did she have sex with him for that to happen. What if Jane had been married when that had happened or her and Michael never broke up, no matter ho much Jane is his family by extension, she's not involved with him. They weren't together when the baby was conceived, they had no agreement, no nothing. Rafael tends overplay the card because when he says it, it really refers to him trying to be with Jane and keep her away from Michael rather than the way he uses it when he says it to her. 

I'm bummed that the writers made Michael into a screaming and violent guy, so Mateo can get hurt and Jane can pick no one. H

Michael has been that guy since day one. Remember when he was determined to arrest Rafael for being Sin Rostro based on zero evidence? He's had it out for him for a long time. I for one was glad that this clunky "redeem Michael" mission ended with something so in character. It shows that no matter how "telenovela" the show gets it's still driven by extremely-strong characterisation. When they said Rafael turned him in, I turned around to my friend and said "Rafael would never do that and if they try to tell me he did I'm done".  Whatever flaws Rafael has, he is never petty and vindictive. Michael frequently is.

Still #teamsingle though. Let's put a pin in this for now, thanks show.

• Love 1

What I liked about this episode is that it very clearly showed that although Rafael and Michael both love Jane and do their best to be good to her, they are still flawed human beings who are selfish and make bad decisions. I'm not saying that I like when they act like brats (and it's obvious that their jealousy brings out the worst in each other), but I appreciate that they aren't painting either of Jane's love interests as perfect, which would be boring and unrealistic.

I have been known to lose my temper (mostly during my adolescence) so part of me sympathizes with Michael, but he was already coming at Rafael who was holding Mateo in his baby carrier. You can't let yourself get so blinded by rage that you don't even notice a defenseless infant, which is why I totally support Jane's decision to tell Michael it won't work between them. I don't think that Michael would ever purposely hurt Mateo but he really needs to work on both his temper and his relationship with Rafael (who, as Jane pointed out, will ALWAYS be part of Mateo's life and therefore Jane's life). Jane can't let someone with such a blatantly antagonistic relationship with Rafael putting Mateo in the middle every time there's a birthday party or a soccer game or a family dinner.

That's the same reason I'm glad that Jane and Petra are getting along now (however tentative their friendship might be). Petra is the mother of Mateo's brother or sister which means she is going to be part of Mateo's life for at least the next 20 years or so (if not forever) so it is in everyone's best interest for them to have as good a relationship as possible. They don't need to become BFFs but at least having a truce so they aren't actively sabotaging each other is a step in the right direction.

I loved Jane's fantasy sequence where she danced with Britney, but I kind of wish they had left it at that. Britney is many things, but a convincing actress is not one of them. Amping her camp level reminded me of when Sarah Michelle Gellar played the Buffybot.

Magda's "be very wary" reminded me of that scene in Threesome when Josh Charles and Stephen Baldwin warn Lara Flynn Boyle to be wary of very scary hairy Larry.

• Love 1

I'm catching up with the show on netflix.  

I've had this feeling for some time but this episode just sealed it for me - I really feel like Jane is actively enjoying stringing along the two guys, at this point.  I know they want us to see her as naive and stuff but there has just been sooo much of her fluttering her eyelashes at each of them in turn, kissing one, then the other, etc etc, for me not to see it as deliberate at this point.

I also feel like she just kind of expects everyone's lives to revolve around her - at the beginning of the show, I really liked how secure she felt with her mother and grandmother but, at this point, it feels actually a bit selfish the way that she expects them to base their lives around her.  It doesn't occur to her to even ask them whether they're ok to look after Mateo while she goes to grad school.  It doesn't occur to her either that Michael or Rafael might ever tire of her - she seems to assume that they will always be waiting in the wings for her to make her decision.  

I still love the show as a whole but I'm kind of over Jane.

• Love 1