Type keyword(s) to search

Meri Brown and her Wet Bar of Tears

• Start Topic

I feel very bad for Meri, too.  She may be awful in many ways, but nobody deserves to be manipulated and hurt like this.  And I do believe she has been incredibly manipulated.  Who is to say whether Meri would have ever engaged in any kind of affair had she not been preyed upon by someone whose sole intent was to gain her trust and presented themself as being an ideal partner who could rescue her from an unhappy situation?  It has to really hurt, too, since it does sound as if she felt like she was in love.  Then to find out that not only does the object of your love not really exist, but you have been the victim of someone's sick game.  And to have it all made so public.  The cruelty astonishes.  

I don't see Meri as so much having an affair as having been victimized by a very sick, very evil person.  

I feel sorry for Meri that this happened to her. Obviously this is a very sick person who would do something like this. But that really doesn't mean that she wasn't unfaithful to Kody. It seems the word "affair" means physical to a lot of people so I'll steer clear of that but she was actively engaged in an emotionally intimate relationship and pursuing to advance it. If my spouse was doing that it would not be that relevant to me that the person on the other end was pretending. I would still feel cheated on.

Now of course it's a pretty sick relationship when your spouse is sleeping with 3 other women and that's not cheating but that's what she signed up for.  

• Love 9

Meri is legally divorced from Kody, and has not had a real marriage with him for some time. I think it is time for Meri, Christine and Janelle to accept the fact that their spiritual marriages are not important to Kody except in a sense of proving to himself he can get four women, and move on. I feel sorry this happened to Meri but I think a divorced woman can in fact date if she wants to. Of course, I don't believe in their planets full of wives either. 

• Love 9

Meri is legally divorced from Kody, and has not had a real marriage with him for some time. I think it is time for Meri, Christine and Janelle to accept the fact that their spiritual marriages are not important to Kody except in a sense of proving to himself he can get four women, and move on. I feel sorry this happened to Meri but I think a divorced woman can in fact date if she wants to. Of course, I don't believe in their planets full of wives either. 

I agree except that they don't claim to have a divorced relationship. They claim to still be in a relationship. They claim to still be married. Sure it's a completely stupid marriage where Kody gets 4 women, if he wants them, and the women only get Kody - and only if he wants them. If this guy had been real and Meri ran off with him or if she finds someone else and runs off with him, or even better she just leaves Kody without the need for another man then great. I would cheer. But she hasn't decided to do that. Kody is a first class asshat and they have a crappy relationship but she is still with him so she doesn't get to date. 

Santa Clause, eh? They become Tim Allen movies to their children? Oh Kody. Go back to middle school. You'll fit right in.

Maybe he means he wants to be Santa from Santa Clause 2.... he needs another wife by Christmas Eve 

• Love 2

She gets to do anything she wants if it means standing up for herself and her own needs. Actually I applaud her for even semi, sort of, not really rehearsing some kind of real relationship and exit strategy from a life that has clearly become a misery.

I'm just sorry it turned out to be someone who is an even bigger asshole than Kody just messing with her, because who knows if she'll ever try again.

Screw "she was cheating." Kody has been doing whatever he wants for their entire relationship.

I don't even like Meri, but it's impossible for me to watch someone make a tiny effort to break their chains and not cheer them on.

• Love 17

More on the Disneyland trip. http://allaboutthetea.com/2015/09/29/sisterwives-meri-brown-her-catfish-lovers-secret-plan-to-meet-at-disneyland/

When "Sam" doesn't appear and "Lindsey" goes on the vacation in his place, did Meri realize she was being had? No, this dummy rides the teacups.

Meri looks so pretty and happy in those pics. I hope someone's keeping a close eye on her.

ETA: So now there's a woman named Kendra involved? She's a friend of Robyn's and is publically shaming Meri? Well this leads me to believe that "Catfish" has Robyn's fingerprints all over it.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 4

I guess my problem with feeling sorry for Meri and viewing it as an attempt to break free is that there is absolutely no reason she can't leave if she wants to. She's on her own. If she wants to leave, she can leave. Her only child is no longer at home. She doesn't have to worry about childcare if she needs to get a job like Christine would. She doesn't even have to deal with the legalities of being the 1st wife or getting Kody's ok because they are legally divorced. She probably wouldn't even lose the TLC deal. I'm sure they would love to film her breaking away and setting up her own life. So she might not even need to get a real job immediately. 

She chooses to stay. 

• Love 6

She chooses to stay. 

Meri's Catfish situation parallels the Duggar "blanket training."  Meri was the curious child who wanted to experience/explore more.  She left the edges of the blanket and was beaten by a troll (Jana or Michelle).  She chose to leave, tried to leave --- getting all the way to Disneyland (how childlike) but had a terrible (borderline dangerous experience) experience and quickly crawled back to the blanket (Kody).

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 5

That Meri could be so deeply hornswaggled this way points to a lot of essential naivete about the real world. There are a lot of things about her that I find irritating, but I feel sorry for her for having this seriously disturbed person intrude on her life, and for no better reason than to publicly shame and humiliate her. It's awful.

Has there been even a hint of conversation about Meri and college? THAT is what she needs to do. Embrace her liberty. Let the TLC money roll in, bank as much as possible, work like a dog on getting a college education, then get a decent job and GO.

• Love 12

Has there been even a hint of conversation about Meri and college? THAT is what she needs to do. Embrace her liberty. Let the TLC money roll in, bank as much as possible, work like a dog on getting a college education, then get a decent job and GO.

In one of the catfish posts, we see pics of love letters that Meri wrote to her Sam while sitting in college classes. So she was in school this spring/summer (shitty student who wasn't paying attention though).

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 2

I agree except that they don't claim to have a divorced relationship. They claim to still be in a relationship. They claim to still be married. Sure it's a completely stupid marriage where Kody gets 4 women, if he wants them, and the women only get Kody - and only if he wants them. If this guy had been real and Meri ran off with him or if she finds someone else and runs off with him, or even better she just leaves Kody without the need for another man then great. I would cheer. But she hasn't decided to do that. Kody is a first class asshat and they have a crappy relationship but she is still with him so she doesn't get to date.

I think Meri is stuck between a rock and a hard place - She has to "keep up appearances" for the show's sake meanwhile going on with her life apart from Kody behind the scenes in secret (or not so secret now that the catfish spilled the beans and the cat is out of the bag).  The goal of this show is to make everyone believe that polygamists can be happy, which we know is not necessarily true, but the Browns seem invested in having us believe that even if it means lying to achieve it.  Only now we know better so it's going to be hard for them to keep lying to us when we know that Meri is obviously moving on in her heart if not physically so as to keep up the charade of the show.  That may be the ONE thing she assented to is to keep up a "sham spiritual marriage" to Kody for the show's sake, hence all the sneaking around. 

One thing the Catfish said is that Meri was going to divorce Kody anyway.  I believe that may have some truth to it, and now it's looking like she divorced him voluntarily for her own reasons, not as a sacrifice for Robyn to adopt the kids or because she was forced or shamed into it when Kody found out about her "affair of the heart".  The adoption BS was the "sanitized" story they pushed to the public to make it look like her relationship with Kody had not changed and the divorce was just a legal exchange to benefit Robyn's kids.  I wonder how long they can keep up that charade now that the Catfish keeps spilling more beans like the voicemail.  Now we at least know the Catfish's story has some truth to it and the whole thing is not just made up.  Even though the Catfish is sick and twisted and likely capable of lying (like about the sex), that much is true.  I still wonder who might have put the Catfish up to this in the first place.  Several people have a motive to get Meri back for perceived wrongs and I wouldn't put it past one of the wives or all of them to have a hand in it somehow.  I honestly can't imagine that the Catfish just did this for kicks or publicity although she does look crazy enough to do it anyway.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 3

I still wonder who might have put the Catfish up to this in the first place.  Several people have a motive to get Meri back for perceived wrongs and I wouldn't put it past one of the wives or all of them to have a hand in it somehow.  I honestly can't imagine that the Catfish just did this for kicks or publicity although she does look crazy enough to do it anyway.

There are people out there who catfish just to screw with people because that is their idea of a good time.  Or it's a way to fill lonely hours, getting some much-longed for attention while pretending to be someone they think is more desirable.  I am not at all surprised that someone who likes to catfish either finally lucked onto  a person like Mary (a reality star) or purposefully targeted someone like her on purpose and succeeded in luring her into a relationship.  Meri is a pretty vulnerable target.  She seems obviously frustrated and unhappy, and probably looking for a little help to get out of a lousy situation . She was ripe for the picking in a way.  

I guess what I am saying is I don't think anyone had to put this nutjob up to going after Meri.  As much resentment as there may be among Kody's wives, I don't envision any one of them actually scheming and plotting to hurt her in this way - privately crushing her and publicly humiliating her.  There may be a lot of frustration and jealousy among them, but I think it would call for real hatred from one of them to do something like that.   As messed up as their family is, I don't see one of them being that evil. 

• Love 8
As messed up as their family is, I don't see one of them being that evil.

I agree.  In addition, would any of them even know anything about catfishing?  Christine thinks toasters are deadly so I can't imagine her spending much time on a computer.  Janelle is ostensibly working and Sobbin is busy screwing the Lord High King of Heaven.  Maybe one of the kids has heard of it but I can't imagine any of them being involved.

• Love 2

I agree.  In addition, would any of them even know anything about catfishing?  Christine thinks toasters are deadly so I can't imagine her spending much time on a computer.  Janelle is ostensibly working and Sobbin is busy screwing the Lord High King of Heaven.  Maybe one of the kids has heard of it but I can't imagine any of them being involved.

I agree...besides, that would involve a level of thought, advance planning, and consequential analysis that none of the adults seem capable of for far more mundane things like, you know, finances. Raising children. Life.

• Love 4

Some of the biggest motivations for dating catfishing is revenge or greed.  I can see doing it for kicks to a certain degree, but going to the tabloids, etc. says greed to me.  Which makes me wonder if that's why she targeted Meri in the first place - because she knew it could make her some money if she later tattled on her.  But it still seems to me like there's more to the story than that.  The continued bean spilling and what is being spilled seems personally targeted as more than just a ploy for money, like it has a revenge aspect as well.  It doesn't even have to be someone in the family, just someone who has a beef with the family and wants to expose them as frauds in some way that put her up to it.

BTW, not to go too far off topic but I knew someone who was catfished back in the 90s before people even knew what catfishing was.  She was a recent widow desperate to find a husband replacement and got taken advantage of online by a long distance suitor.  It turns out he was after her inheritance money.  Thank goodness she found out before he got any of it - She was ready to transfer money into his bank account before she came to her senses!  I knew of another stranger situation in which a guy was catfished online by a woman who was put up to it by his ex who was seeking revenge over being dumped.  She wanted him to experience being dumped like he dumped her.  It worked.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1

There was an interview posted by one of the hunters with Overton's last victim before Meri. If it's true, Overton is extorting money from her victims. Stacey (alleged victim) states she left her husband for Sam, and spent/gave $25k to Overton in the form of extended trips to Vegas, and a $7500 "investment".

Pix of Meri with Overton at Disneyland indicate that she was able to persuade Meri to pay for at least one trip.

And managed to rope Kendra (Robyn's friend and fellow mean girl) into the mess. Btw Kendra posted yesterday on Twitter that she is no longer associated with the Browns. Hmmm.

• Love 5

I agree, except for Robyn. I have been a bit of a Robyn apologist at times, but her connection to the catfish is fishy. Maybe Robyn's only motivation would be to scare Meri back into the fold, but she definitely had motivation. Meri was her only true competition - hasn't Meri been called Kodys soulmate? Janelle has no interest in getting more of Kody, and Kodys distaste for Christine is obvious. If Robyn is involved, I wonder what Kodys reaction would be. Robyn's not only in the power position as legal wife, she's the only functioning uterus.

• Love 3

Does anyone know exactly what association Kendra has with the Browns, and TLC/Discovery Communications? I know Robyn posted a photo of her and Kendra awhile back, and called her a friend. Does she have some official role, like director of social media or something? She seems like a bit of a dipshit, it makes me wonder if she is doing a little catfishing of her own?

• Love 1

I agree, except for Robyn. I have been a bit of a Robyn apologist at times, but her connection to the catfish is fishy. Maybe Robyn's only motivation would be to scare Meri back into the fold, but she definitely had motivation. Meri was her only true competition - hasn't Meri been called Kodys soulmate? Janelle has no interest in getting more of Kody, and Kodys distaste for Christine is obvious. If Robyn is involved, I wonder what Kodys reaction would be. Robyn's not only in the power position as legal wife, she's the only functioning uterus.

I agree, and Robyn is just dumb enough not to realize what the consequences could be for the family's credibility with the public once the news got out.  Or maybe she didn't care if it did get out if it finally made Meri grant a divorce so she could marry Kodouche.  One possibility is just the opposite of bringing Meri back into the fold - that Robyn did it to push Meri into divorcing Kody.  If Meri thought she was in a relationship with someone other than Kody she might be more inclined to divorce him voluntarily.  I don't even put it past Kodouche himself to have engineered this with Robyn going along.  "I know how we can get Meri to grant a divorce so we can get married - Here's my scheme, we get this catfish you know to prey upon her.  Then when the whole thing comes out we can push her into the divorce easily and sanitize the version we present on TLC to make it look like her "sacrifice" for the children."  I'm sorry but Robyn and Kody looked like it was all they could do to contain their jubilation and lover's elation at FINALLY being able to get married and be a "legal" couple.  If it didn't matter to them so much then why those looks on their faces?  They weren't fooling ANYONE that this was just a "paper transaction".  My mama didn't raise no dope!  But they are dumb enough to think the audience will buy their deception.  If they're that dumb (and devious), they're dumb and devious enough to have dreamed up this cockamamie scheme in the first place.  They're not past trying to have one over on the audience for their own gain, so what's to stop them from doing it to each other?

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 4

I don't even put it past Kodouche himself to have engineered this with Robyn going along.  "I know how we can get Meri to grant a divorce so we can get married - Here's my scheme, we get this catfish you know to prey upon her..."

This is part of the scheme I can't quite get behind.  Kody seems like the kind of selfish kid who doesn't want anyone else touching his toys, even the ones he's cast aside and doesn't play with anymore.

But yeah, there's so much shadiness going on I doubt we'll ever know the true reasons behind the divorce/remarriage.

• Love 3
I guess my problem with feeling sorry for Meri and viewing it as an attempt to break free is that there is absolutely no reason she can't leave if she wants to. She's on her own. If she wants to leave, she can leave. Her only child is no longer at home. She doesn't have to worry about childcare if she needs to get a job like Christine would. She doesn't even have to deal with the legalities of being the 1st wife or getting Kody's ok because they are legally divorced. She probably wouldn't even lose the TLC deal. I'm sure they would love to film her breaking away and setting up her own life. So she might not even need to get a real job immediately.

This is actually a great idea. Not that I think Meri should stay on TV but I think she would get some decent $$$ for spilling the beans either on TV or in a book. You have the power Meri!!!!! Use it!!

Edited by Maire

Kody and Meri's divorce happened last year (Sept?)

Robyn and Kody got "legally" married in December 2014.

The catfishing happened (as far as we know" in spring 2015?

As far as i could tell on Sunday, the "All about Christine" episode talking heads were filmed either July 1 or July 11, 2015.  Probably when Meri was knee deep in "love", hence the foot swinging and general pissed offed-ness.

I do generally feel bad for Meri, but even more so for all the older kids who are likely reading the online stuff.

• Love 7

I really believe that the catfish happened after the divorce.  My theory is that Overton met Meri after the marriage, when Meri according to her tweets in December 2014 threw herself back into the LIV MLM business.  Basically she opened the door to be scammed by Overton because "running an MLM business" means you have meetings with people you don't know and invite them into your home (at least in the case of the Browns) to try and sign them up. 

I think Overton infiltrated by signing up under Meri's downline (such as it probably is - she might have been the ONLY person in the downline at that point), perhaps using some of the money she extorted from "Stacey" the fish she was working at the time, and it went from there. 

Besides, there's no way that Kody would approve of Meri being in love and having the hots for another guy, either real or imagined.  I doubt he knows anything about catfishing anyway, he's as dim as dim can be.

• Love 1

I agree - it's really not any different than people trolling on Ashley Madison trying to find someone to cheat on their spouse with but never actually slept with someone else. In fact in this case it could be considered worse. Meri had an intimate emotional relationship with someone and wanted to move it into a physical one as well. The fact that he was a fake doesn't really change that and I'm sure Kody doesn't see it as anything less than cheating.

and I can guarantee that Kody will NEVER try to figure out WHY Meri needed an EMOTIONAL RELATIONSHIP.  

• Love 5

and I can guarantee that Kody will NEVER try to figure out WHY Meri needed an EMOTIONAL RELATIONSHIP.  

this is definitely true. I think Meri needs to leave. Clearly she wants to leave. Her mistake was trying to find a new relationship before leaving Kody. That rarely ends well. Of course what happened to Meri is much worse than what usually happens to people who go looking and now she probably won't look again. That will be the lesson Kody takes from this. Not that he's an asshat and his wife has needs he isn't fulfilling but that she went looking and found he is better than what's out there. 

• Love 4

She would need to find a full-time job to support herself first and i don't think that is gonna happen. That eats me the most about these women. Just go get a fucking job..please. If you read the book, Meri didn't work alot anyway. She would quit jobs to go off with Kody on a whim. Just sickening.

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 5

this is definitely true. I think Meri needs to leave. Clearly she wants to leave. Her mistake was trying to find a new relationship before leaving Kody. That rarely ends well. Of course what happened to Meri is much worse than what usually happens to people who go looking and now she probably won't look again. That will be the lesson Kody takes from this. Not that he's an asshat and his wife has needs he isn't fulfilling but that she went looking and found he is better than what's out there.

The thing is...I don't think she was looking for someone else. I think Overton got close to Meri, and saw how sad/lonely she was and pretended to be Sam just like she's done with God knows how many other victims. And "Sam" swept Meri off her feet with sexting and carnations and notes.

LIV is the multi level marketing business that the Browns hooked up with a few years ago, I doubt they've made much $$ from it since the first year. Meri went on a LIV cruise which is generally a lot of meetings and cheer rallies to get people motivated to spend tons of money on product and marketing materials. Mary Kay does the same thing every year. It's quite a ripoff.

• Love 1

I just have zero sympathy for Meri. Catfish got catfished. 

She pimped Robin to keep Kody's approval and her alpha wife status over the two blondes, and it backfired horribly. Now she's trying to line up another man for herself to escape, and it backfired, too.  

• Love 7

I hate to say it - but I actually feel sorry for Meri regarding this Catfish situation. Didn't it also happen relatively soon after her brother committed suicide? Most people who are in "monogamous" relationships (I put monogamous in quotes because Meri is in a monogamous relationship, Kody is not) have their partner or spouse to turn to when something awful like that happens. Meri? Not so much. Kody was probably too busy styling his hair, trying to get Raawww-bin pregnant or bitching at Christine to provide any comfort to her.

Yeah, she chose this (ridiculous) lifestyle, but the divorce, the loss of her brother and her only child away at school made her incredibly easy target for that creepy catfisher. I hope Meri (and Christine and Janelle) wake up soon and get far, far away from Kody and Raawww-bin. And I hope Kody acquires more wives and Raawww-bin gets shafted, big time.

P.S. Am I the only one who can't stand the way Kody says Robyn's name? Raaawww-biinnnn. Ugh.

Edited by egilsdottir
  • Love 7

Meri looks a lot better and happier in these Disney pictures than she EVER looks on the show.  

I think she looks so much better with less make-up and hair styling! Her natural look is much nicer. But I hope she looks better because she's actually happier too. 

Edited by purpleflowers
  • Love 2

I just have zero sympathy for Meri. Catfish got catfished. 

She pimped Robin to keep Kody's approval and her alpha wife status over the two blondes, and it backfired horribly. Now she's trying to line up another man for herself to escape, and it backfired, too.  

Thanks Razzleberry. I was beginning to think I was the only one who thinks Meri is responsible for her situation. Sure. This fake person is horrible and did a terrible thing. But Meri reciprocated. She wasn't innocent and a mere victim here. If she hadn't been willing to try to establish a relationship outside of her "marriage" with Kody it wouldn't have happened. I think we are more willing to cut Meri slack because Kody is an ass and has another wives. But Meri agreed to the relationship with other wives and actually facilitated his getting other wives. Her vows to him were that she would be monogamous. She can't not turn around and use the fact that he sleeps with other wives as a justification for looking for another man. If she wants to leave him then I will cheer for her. But the fact that her attempt to have a man on the side blew up horribly in her face doesn't garner a lot of sympathy from me. 

• Love 3

Yeah, Meri needs to fix her business. I dont feel sorry for her AT ALL. You r unhappy? Leave! You have second thoughts about plural marriage? Come out and say that! You signed up for a REALITY show...so be REAL. This sneaking around stuff is ALL on her. Clean your mess, Meri

• Love 6

Someone asked "Sam" if he has any pics of them together...

Answer:

Until my lawyers have a meeting in Friday with TLC to give them information they want about this I can't post that stuff. I had posted a lot of things to prove it. If you don't believe it you are wrong.

Edited by Christi
  • Love 2

Thanks Razzleberry. I was beginning to think I was the only one who thinks Meri is responsible for her situation. Sure. This fake person is horrible and did a terrible thing. But Meri reciprocated. She wasn't innocent and a mere victim here. If she hadn't been willing to try to establish a relationship outside of her "marriage" with Kody it wouldn't have happened. I think we are more willing to cut Meri slack because Kody is an ass and has another wives. But Meri agreed to the relationship with other wives and actually facilitated his getting other wives. Her vows to him were that she would be monogamous. She can't not turn around and use the fact that he sleeps with other wives as a justification for looking for another man. If she wants to leave him then I will cheer for her. But the fact that her attempt to have a man on the side blew up horribly in her face doesn't garner a lot of sympathy from me. 

I can certainly understand why some would see it this way. To my way of thinking, though, the real argument isn't whether or not she was right or wrong to be having an emotional dalliance with a stranger. My empathy on Meri's behalf is due to the loathsome motives of Jackie Overton and the contemptible lengths that slimeball went to in order to manipulate a woman who is clearly miserable in her life. Not suggesting that Meri is a blameless victim, and I've often had an "oh well, serves you right, cheater" reaction when hearing about such situations (looking at YOU, Josh Duggar!), but to me it doesn't quite fit Meri's circumstances.

• Love 8

Re the so-called "provocative photos" at All About The Tea: Perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't see how pictures of a banana and a foot in a bathtub can be considered proof of Meri's involvement with anyone. 

• Love 1

Re the so-called "provocative photos" at All About The Tea: Perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't see how pictures of a banana and a foot in a bathtub can be considered proof of Meri's involvement with anyone. 

She scratched his name into her arm.

Thanks RedheadZombie - Didn't realize the typo.  LOL.

Edited by CofCinci

Perhaps I am not understanding everything here, but how can there be a sex tape when "Sam" is a woman? Was there a man hired by Jackie to pose as "Sam" while she filmed it?

I know Meri is no angel in this circumstance, but this catfisher had the advantage of knowing all about Meri and her vulnerabilities by watching her on TV. Somebody could really manipulate another person with that kind of insight.

Despite how bad the situation looks, and admittedly Meri put herself in all of the messes and entanglements she is in right now, but I can't help but feel compassion for how out of control her life probably feels right now. I would not want to be her.

• Love 6